Hammond Indiana
 The Leg Lamp and East Chicago
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Colonel

58 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2015 :  15:50:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The home page of Flick Lives just posted a story about the origins of the famous Leg Lamp from Shep's A Christmas Story. It apparently had its roots in the local NWI-regional signs and advertisements for the Midwestern Nehi Bottling Company, which was located during the 1930s and 40s in East Chicago, Indiana, at 4601 Baring Avenue. According to online sources, the Freedom Church is now located at that address. In any event, does anyone know if there are any vestiges of the Nehi company still located at or around the site? Are there any so-called "ghost signs" on building walls, or perhaps an old, faded Nehi sign, in or around Lake County? If so, maybe someone could post a picture.

A Brass Figlagee to anyone who spots an aging Nehi leg sign in Lake County!

Excelsior!

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2015 :  06:32:45  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I liked the Nehi Orange.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehi

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Colonel

58 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2015 :  08:30:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And Radar in MASH liked Nehi Grape.

Here is a link to the illustrated essay on Flick Lives: http://www.flicklives.com/index.php?pg=272

The cited Wikipedia entry is both incomplete and incorrect, at least as it refers to Shep's leg lamp. So I have just corrected it.

Edited by - Colonel on 01/01/2016 10:34:31
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2016 :  07:36:24  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Colonel, the Wikipedia site lists the Flick Lives link in their References.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Colonel

58 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2016 :  11:13:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know, Bob. I added the link to Wikipedia and corrected the Wikipedia listing after you brought it to my attention, and I saw that it was in error. By the way, a Wikipedia editor refused to also list the fact about Radar's drinking Nehi Grape, after I added that, too. The editor deleted it and said it was "insignificant trivia." I disagreed with him for several reasons -- for example, it demonstrated Nehi's significance as an enduring cultural reference point -- but he blew me off . . . .

Excelsior!
quote:
Originally posted by BobK

Colonel, the Wikipedia site lists the Flick Lives link in their References.

Bob

Edited by - Colonel on 01/14/2016 11:21:43
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2016 :  12:25:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are there any so-called "ghost signs" on building walls, or perhaps an old, faded Nehi sign, in or around Lake County? If so, maybe someone could post a picture.

The only Nehi sign I remember was is Hessville on the side of a Kennedy Ave. building that could be viewed on the west side of Kennedy as you traveled north.
The sign was visible from the parking lot of either Dels Dairy Queen or the Sip and Bite. It was fading when I last saw it in the mid 1980s.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page