Riverview
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2012 :  07:56:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is probably the best Riverview throwback I've seen yet.
Copy & paste the address below...Cj

www.chicagotribune.com/videogallery/67285677/News/Remembering-Riverview#gl-5

Edited by - seejay2 on 07/28/2012 07:58:51

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2012 :  11:02:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2012 :  17:12:23  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, thanks, CJ.

So sad that Riverview is gone.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  07:45:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember one passage into manhood (along with 'snipe hunts') involved having the kahunas to get on the Bobs...Cj
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  22:42:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for posting this.
I have a videotape that I bought from Marshall Fields (like Riverview, now also gone) called Riverview, Kingdom of Magic. It is a great tape and takes you on many of the rides. I have very fond memories of Riverview, as our family would go there at least once or twice per year.
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  19:15:22  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Any chance of getting some copies made or posting a link to a source where one can be bought?

Tom
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  21:15:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Tom - I doubt that it is available any longer. I bought it probably 20 years ago, and the store where I bought it (Marshall Fields - a Chicago based company) has been bought up by Macy's and all their stores converted to Macy's. So I doubt they cater to a Chicago clientele these days. New Yorkers wouldn't give a hoot about Riverview!

Here's an excerpt from the video on Youtube - although the "flying cars" ride was way before my time. (note - these are NOT the same as the Flying Turns) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVphFQsGrZ4
A youtube search on Riverview will turn up several shorter clips of rides for your enjoyment.
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  17:41:44  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Duane.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  19:31:23  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.riverviewparkchicago.com/newspr.html

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Riverview+Park+Chicago+DVD+roller+coaster+

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  21:38:31  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bob! I bought a copy of that DVD, the second link you posted. I can hardly wait until it gets here!

Tomster
Go to Top of Page

Paddy

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2014 :  23:03:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember celebrating our grade school graduation there. Most of my classmates did not want to get on the parachute ride, which seemed to raise you into the firmament before it released your chute to float back to the ground. I thought it was awesome and rode it as much as I could.
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  12:34:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paddy

I remember celebrating our grade school graduation there. Most of my classmates did not want to get on the parachute ride, which seemed to raise you into the firmament before it released your chute to float back to the ground. I thought it was awesome and rode it as much as I could.

I remember my brother riding it with my Dad. He had his mouth open when they hit the top and released and he bit his lip when the sudden jolt of the release kicked in. We were shocked when he came off the ride with blood on his mouth. I don't think he ever rode it again.

My two favorite were the Bobs (of course) and the Old Mill or Tunnel of Love. The wildest and the mildest of what Riverview had to offer. The Bobs for the thrill, and the Tunnel of Love to cool off on a hot summer day.
Go to Top of Page

Jay

148 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2014 :  23:31:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised that my memories of Riverview in Chicago are poor. The only ride I can remember riding was the Wild Mouse. It was the very first roller coaster I ever rode on.
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2014 :  08:00:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Riverview Is one of the best and clearest memories I have. I did the Mouse and it scared the crap out of me.
That big "Genie" thing always come to mind as well as all the gum I stepped in.
Remember Two-Ton Baker on the Riverview commercials on CH9?...Cj
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2014 :  22:14:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two Ton Baker always finished up with Come to Riverview and Laugh Your Troubles Away!!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page