Hammond Indiana
 Thurston's House
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silentshep

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  23:58:51  Show Profile  Visit silentshep's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So,, Shep told stories about Thurston the Magician living in the neighborhood.. having animals on his property,,Camel, Manatee.. Shep said the house was a block and a half away from his. A large Victorian House with back buildings along an alley..Anybody know it's location?? Hard to see any such structure on the Google Earth Stuff.... Maybe it was just a story about the Minas Mansion or close to it,,,..where is that located?? I reference to my UTube story about Thurston's Property,.,., http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=6p9AqRLnQqAer gary in California

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2011 :  07:44:01  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Jean was a story teller. Probably the only true facts in that story were that Thurston was a magician and Jean had a childhood.

Bob

Edited by - BobK on 11/24/2011 07:44:37
Go to Top of Page

silentshep

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2013 :  23:26:31  Show Profile  Visit silentshep's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, Geese Bob, Thanks for the Caustic response. Just makes me want to be a part of this group. Oh Wow, Shep was a Story teller.. Who da thought??? And a,, and's he had a childhood.. Where did you here that??
Sorry for the late response, but I don't visit often.
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  12:25:57  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I didn't mean for my response to come across as caustic.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  14:13:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, I don't believe your posting was caustic, just matter of fact. Whomever the silent guy is, his information regarding his own site had a warning that is could be phishing, so take it all with a grain of salt, I guess.

quote:
Originally posted by BobK

Bob

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  08:33:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing out of line with your post, Bob. I guess we have to expect these characters popping in here from time to time...Cj
quote:
Originally posted by BobK

Bob

Go to Top of Page

Jay

148 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2013 :  20:13:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The link http://www.sheptalk.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=792 indicates that from March 1938 until the summer of 1947, Jean Shepherd lived at 2907 Cleveland Street in Hammond Indiana.
Since Howard Thurston, the magician, died in 1936, it is possible that Shepherd lived at that address before March 1938. So that is the place to begin your search.
Go to Top of Page

Colonel

58 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2013 :  13:04:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howard Thurston "The Magician" made his headquarters in the Hessville section of Hammond -- where Shep lived -- in the early/mid 1930s. He was mostly retired by then. He stored his performance paraphernalia in a garage at the rear of J. R. Realty Company, located at 6638 Kennedy Boulevard. His second wife (or third, depending upon the account), Pauline (nee Mark) Thurston, lived at 1179 Sibley Street with Walter and Edna Robinhorst, the proprietors of Walt's Cafe at 1181 Sibley. Pauline was her husband's magic assistant -- being sawed in half, etc. -- and listed her occupation as "magician" until her husband's death in Florida in 1936. After that, she was a waitress at Walt's Cafe. Howard's daughter Jane from a prior marriage carried on the family tradition for a time.

Edited by - Colonel on 12/21/2013 13:08:12
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2013 :  21:31:14  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Colonel.

Bob
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page