Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  23:40:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's one more Thanksgiving picture I'd like you all to take a look at

1954 Grandma Surowiec and her daughter-in-law Marge

Was it the times? Or the way these folks all dressed back then?
I'm sure you all have pictures of relatives in the same style of clothes.
My point? Guess how old my grandmother is in this picture?

Guess again before scrolling down for the answer!
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
She turned 54 in September Of 1954.
To me, she looks a lot older than most 54 year old women of today.
Maybe it was the hard life of the Depression & war years which she had 2 sons be a part of.
Her oldest, Uncle John, a Marine who fought in the Pacific Theater. Yep. . .Iwo Jima. . . Guadalcanal. . . the whole shootin' match!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 12/01/2011 23:41:26
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  00:04:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE--

People just LOOKED older back then; check any picture of kids or young men in the 1930's; their faces are more angular, tougher, more weathered. I think it had a lot to do with their heritage; us Eastern European types just have that 'earthier', more hardened look. Good peasant stock, I say. Something to be proud of.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 12/02/2011 00:05:47
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  03:30:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does seem that people matured quicker then. Think of the old Mikey Rooney movies. The old lawyer or executive would say "How old are you, son?" And the guy that looked around 30 says "sixteen, sir"
Good point Larry. I think part of it is because kids were taught respect for others and had a lot less idle time on their hands.
It seems that bringing up children in todays society with one parent and no discipline might not be the best possible way.
I dunno. Tom W
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  06:55:19  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, they had a tougher life and didn't have the medical advances that we enjoy today. Yes, most everyone dressed up back then. I've noticed in TV commercials lately, young women in dresses and it looks so nice. I've also noticed how younger people come dressed to weddings and funerals and someone must have failed to teach these people how to dress for the occasions. I think we've become too casual.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  07:16:06  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Check the last line.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  09:12:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And, they didn't have a closet full of clothes. There were clothes for everyday and clothes for occasions.

The only thing I disagree with, is that women have to wear dresses. In the summer, that is not a bad thing; but in winter, brrrrrrr.

Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  15:39:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And every guy owned a SUIT---sometimes 2: one for dress-up occasions
and the other for more everyday wearing (going out to the store,, etc). Check any old picture--guys with suit coats and pants---even in hot weather, which must have been a real drag. But it's all they knew...it was the accepted way to dress.

I remember about 20 years ago watching an old movie with 2 younger people,and they commmented on the fact that all of the men in a street scene were wearing "those funny hats"; "I REMEMBER THAT", I said---"Yeah---I remember in the 50's riding the bus to downtown Hammond with Mike and our Mom and SEEING it first-hand, which seemed to astound these youngsters.

Historically and culturally, the beginning of the end for the men's hat custom was the JFK Inaugural in January '61, when he did NOT wear his top hat during the icy cold weather that day in D.C. Lots of guys decided to emulate him, and the custom of men wearing hats in public started to fade (I'm quoting info from a documentary, as opposed to guessing at this).

The way folks show up today at Church is pathetic---jeans, T-shirts,
shorts, tennis shoes, etc. I realize the church is struggling for
membership and wants to appear more "friendly"--but, C'MON, folks--
isn't it worth the effort and discipline to dress up a bit?

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 12/02/2011 15:41:54
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  17:20:16  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This was my Grandpa, me and Mom at a picnic in 1946 or 47.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  19:34:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VanTil's started as a storefront of their home on Jackson and Vine Ave. in Hammond. In 1951 they moved into the new building at 7110 Indianapolis Blvd.
5 years later, another new building across 171st. 7040 Indianapolis Blvd. North of the first one which Tom McAnn's renovated and moved into.
1973 they moved again to their present location in Hessville on 169th st.
Supposedly, Nick VanTil's theory on beating the competition was to buy up the land in the vicinity of his stores so they coudn't build.
Rumor has it that he owned much of the land on the boulevard.
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  21:41:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"...us Eastern European types just have that 'earthier', more hardened look. Good peasant stock, I say. Something to be proud of."

And speaking of good, Eastern European peasant stock, here's a great pic of my father's family (minus his own
father, who died in 1947 after many hard years of work and workplace accidents at Amaizo..).
This 1962 pic was taken in my grandmother's apartment in Whiting, a building that was just leveled last month.

Seated on the couch (L to R) are:

• my Uncle Bill (he's in the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame: all-time single game scoring record at both Clark H.S.
    and U. of Michigan...and the only one in the photo who is still with us),
  • my Uncle George, who changed his last name to Harper, owned a furniture store in Gary, then moved to
    California to open another one
  • my Grandmother, in the only picture I can recall where she was smiling
  • my Uncle Jack, aka "The Senator"

On the Floor:

• my famous Radio-Dad
  • my Aunt Ruth
  • my Uncle Bob, who was scouted by the Cubs as a pitcher in the '40's, became a Hammond cop in '63,
    and died of a heart-attack in 1971 at age 41.

The original Slovak spelling was HRAPCAK, but they moved the "H" to Americanize things a bit. I really like
    this pic, since everybody looks happy.

LR

PS ~ Here's me on my Confirmation Day, May 10, 1959, with my Uncle
    Bill,
    who was my sponsor. The stash of records on the floor was my dad's "payoff" to his brother for sponsoring me.
    A picture-perfect, gorgeous spring day at 6912 Magoun. For a special confirmation present, my dad took Mike and
    me to the Voge Theater in E.C. that night to see William Castle's "House on Haunted Hill"; way to go,
    you fools...it scare the S____ out of us.

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 12/09/2011 21:41:58
    Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
    359 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  06:38:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Beautiful pics Larry! The Rapchak genes are clearly seen from Uncle George, your dad to you!
    That's gotta be it. . . the Eastern Eurpoean look. Life had to be tough, to pull up stakes and leave your homeland for the promise of a new, better life in a country as far away then as the moon is now!
    LS
    Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
    642 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  14:17:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Steve--

The "real" Eastern Europeans--Slovaks, for instance---have a certain "darkness" to their complexion, like a perpetual tan. You can
    really see it ins this pic (aided by the fact that the pic was taken in the summer). But my grandmother, Uncle George and my dad
    were the "darkest" of the family. I was too (as was Nancy); my mother told me that when I was an infant, her brothers
    nicknamed me "Pablo" for this very reason.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 12/09/2011 18:27:49
    Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
    642 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  18:24:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    HERE"s SOMETHING that's pretty darn' cool, especially for us Magoun-centric guys.
    It's an AERIAL SHOT of the Woodmar area from the early '50's.

• The street running diagonally up the to the left is 169th

• The dark street that interects it about the middle of the pic is
    Indianapolis Blvd.

WHAT A FIND!

• On the NW corner of the intersection you see the white Standard station

• on the SW corner, there's a lot with a storefront of some sort; that would be Kelly's Drive-In (or soon would be

• If you follow to the left (south), there's a clump of trees; if you look closely,
    you can see two white "pillars"; that's the SERENADE Drive-In!

• Directly IN BACK (to the west) of the Serenade, there's a dark brown house that my
    grandparents would occupy starting in 1959 (see the pic somewhere on this thread with the Serenade
    in the background). To the south (on the left edge of this photo, are the Hlad's house and the Sandors (bright white).
    Those are the houses on the East Side of MAGOUN AVENUE.[/*]

• Across the street (to the west) you see a parkway with a few trees; that's right where the
    Rapchak and Kush houses would soon be built!

• Directly west is BARING AVE, where you can see six sand lots where the new houses are about to be built.

• TONS MORE STUFF is visible:

[*]Follow Indy Blvd up north, and you'll see 167th and a huge empty
    field that will soon be Woodmar Shopping Center.

[*]From there, follow Indy Blvd a bit to the south: there's another white gas station, and then you clearly see
    the "FAT BOY" Restaurant, at 6730 Indy; check the pic below, and you'll see the same low, flat design with
    the white brick facade, the overhang, and the four windows.

THERE'S MUCH MORE that's visible in this Aerial shot, which we can all identify as we go. I've been checking with
    all of the available Hammond City Directories from this period; my best guess is summer of 1952 or 1953 for this pic;
    the trees are in bloom, but the lots where Little Stevie's house and mine would eventually be are not even cleared yet---
    and we moved in during September of '54.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 12/11/2011 22:39:56
    Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
    359 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  13:18:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    A Very Cool picture! Larry!
    On the left, in the middle, you can see Knickerbocker Parkway!
    Also, the large open area more in the center, the site of the "future" Purdue University Calumet Campus. All this sitting on the High Tolleston shoreline of Lake Michigan from about 3,800 to 4,200 years ago!
    LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 12/12/2011 20:11:49
    Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
    642 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  22:34:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    RE: THE AERIAL SHOT ABOVE --- If you follow 169th Street diagonally down to the right
    (that's traveling EAST towards Hessville), you see a big apartment complex (across from the huge,
    open field that would become Purdue Cal), then a row of townhouse-like apartments
    and then, on the corner, two lighter-colored buildings; the last one (on the corner of 169th and
    HURON) is LUDDY'S Deli --- looking exactly like does in this Purdue Archive photo:

In 1959-60, we'd stop at Luddy's on the way home from OLPH church in
    Hessville, and grab some freshly-baked vanilla Long-Johns for
    breakfast. Couldn't beat 'em.
    -------------------------------
    ALSO---check out the Intersection of 169th and Indy and the white Standard station on the NW corner;
    if you travel NORTH, you see a stand-alone building with two storefronts in it; the one on the left was
    "Lads and Lassies" children's clothes, and next door to it on the right was "Woodmar Home Supplies",
    which would soon change its name to "ARROW HARDWARE".

DIRECTLY across the street, on the east side of Indy, is the structure that housed AL's Quality Meats and to the North,
    the 2-story place with the five windows, it's Ted's Food Mart (the place that had the elephant in its parking lot for its
    grand opening). Then you see a small DARK, dirt-like road--THAT's MARTHA St, and directly north of it should be the venerable
    "OLD GLORY TAVERN"; it's there, for sure...but it's hard to see. You can see a white shouse and what looks like a
    (dark) tree...and the tavern should be right there, complete with the owner's house attached.

Steve--can you make it out? It's there somewhere, and it's the ONE BUSINESS THAT'S STILL THERE!

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 12/30/2011 02:46:09
    Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
    359 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  00:35:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I remember Luddys. I bought wax teeth there, as in "A Christmas Story," and tiny wax bottles full of sweet juice. Also, in the foreground of the photo you can see the wooded area of the Porter School playground. In the extreme foreground, at the edge of the picture, you can see the grassy ridge that was perfect for rolling down, when you were "shot" playing war.

Though a Harding kid, for a year or two due to overcrowding they bussed my class every day to the old wooden Porter portable. This was 3rd or 4th grade. The teacher was Mrs. Schoon, the best elementary teacher I ever had.

Bill

Warren G. Harding Class of '63
    Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
    642 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  17:12:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    That huge open space in the lower portion of the Aerial shot was the park we referred to as "Woodmar Park",
    where the entire Purdue complex is located today.

But you can see "Woodmar Park" in its beautiful, pristine state in
    this YOU-TUBE video I posted a while ago, from our family's 8mm home movies:

http://youtu.be/ANb6dkOMcMI

From July, 1961; in the scene with my dad, Mike and I hitting fly-balls, you can spot the first Purdue building and Porter School
    behind the trees in the background along 171st. The spot we were playing ball was much closer to 173rd, which you can see
    in the shots with my dad batting. Today, the open park that was south of 173rd is filled with new dorm buildings.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 12/12/2011 17:18:10
    Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
    359 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  20:08:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Larry, I'm trying to figure out what the row of buildings on what would be Columbia Ave. & 165th street are. To the right of the water tower. They look like it could be a row of chicken coops? Too late for that? Menard's sits there now. I remember Zayre's as the first building on this location. To the left of the tower is the nipsco building on 167th st. Also, I see there isn't anything on the east side of Indy. No Jewel or anything!

Do you remember the Swift's whistle that would blow at noon? and again at 12:30PM?
    LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 12/12/2011 20:13:33
    Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
    642 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  21:48:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    STEVE--

Yeah, the East side of Indy south of 169th didn't start opening up 'til around 1954--the Jewel opened in October of that year.
    The Hammond Directory from "54 lists a "JEWEL TEA COMPANY" at 6933 (?), which by the end of the year would become the full-size store
    (with that damned merry-go-round out in front during December). 6947 Indy is listed as "Bardford's Dept. Store" in the '54 Directory...
    the space that would become the Cook's Music Store (in Ken O'Neal's great 1959 Morton yearbook pic above), and then Dunhill's Tuxedo joint.

Now that you point it out--- I hadn't even LOOKED up at the Columbia Ave area in the Aerial pic; yep--there's the old water tower,
    and WHATEVER those low-lying structures to the north might be is anybody's guess (would make a nice research project, right?) And there's
    the 169th St. cemeteries hidden in the trees, to the west of all of the houses; the new St John's cemetery--on the north side of
    167th---is still years away from being there.

The Swift factory
    ----I remember the SMELL more than anything, when
    the wind was blowing from the north. Not pleasant, but then---hey,
    it was part of growing up on Magoun Ave, so I'd never complain.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 12/12/2011 21:51:37
    Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  22:17:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Boy that brought back memories...the Swift company and the smell. Exactly what did they do there?...render tallow?
    Is this where Walmart is now, or is farther west where that Dominic's was built and went out of business only a few years later?

I do remember a bit later on, there was the Stardust Bowl located south of the Hammond Watertower. Zayre's always seemed to be one step down from KMart, but of course our family shopped there.
    To the east of there (north of Swift) was TrailerTrain who made railroad flatcars.
    Go to Top of Page

Jay

148 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  22:24:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Speaking of the Hammond Water Tower, what purpose did it serve? Was it supposed to be a limited emergency supply for certain high priority customers?
    Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
    642 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  23:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Duane--

I think the current Walmart is on the same spot where the Swift factory is in this aerial shot.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 12/13/2011 18:20:43
    Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  06:53:49  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
    Jay, water towers are there in case the pumps fail and typically hold about a days supply of water for the community. They are on high ground or built high to provide pressure.

Bob
    Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
    676 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  07:47:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I don't think it is so much an emergency precaution as it a matter of pumps would not be able to keep up with the 'on demand' supply of water. The pumps just have to keep enough water in the towers and gravity takes care of the demand...Cj
    Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
    359 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  10:36:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by duane

Boy that brought back memories...the Swift company and the smell. Exactly what did they do there?...render tallow?
    Is this where Walmart is now, or is farther west where that Dominic's was built and went out of business only a few years later?

I do remember a bit later on, there was the Stardust Bowl located south of the Hammond Water Tower. Zayre's always seemed to be one step down from Kmart, but of course our family shopped there.
    To the east of there (north of Swift) was Trailer Train who made railroad flatcars.

Wal-Mart is located on the old Swift site. Pay-4-Less(?) is west of that. In the picture, it is just to the left of Swift.
    The row of trees seem to be too much in line to be a natural happening, however, they are in line with the contour of the High Tolleston shoreline.
    It's possible that the rows of trees are on small hills with swales in between. These types of land formations can still be seen at Gibson Woods in Hessville.

I always thought that water towers are built to supply the pressure, through gravity, not to supply the water its self.
    LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 12/13/2011 10:38:29
    Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  14:42:20  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Little Stevie

I always thought that water towers are built to supply the pressure, through gravity, not to supply the water its self.
    LS

It does if the pumps quit working. Each foot of elevation gives a determined amount of pressure from gravity.

Bob
    Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
    642 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  18:22:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    It's possible that the rows of trees are on small hills with swales in between.

Steve--

What the heck is a swale?

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 12/13/2011 18:22:15
    Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
    359 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  18:51:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by HassoBenSoba

It's possible that the rows of trees are on small hills with swales in between.

Steve--

What the heck is a swale?

Larry

They are the topographical depressions between sand ridges formed by the wind and waves by piling sand up around vegetation:

Dunes

The dominant feature of the Indiana Dunes is the dunes. The hills and ridges throughout the southern border of Lake Michigan are predominately sand ridges, created by the movements of the winds and their deposition of the sands. The dunes cover a complex of plant communities.[1] The central dunes, which were a large area of high and diverse dunes was removed to make way for the Bethlehem Burns Harbor Steel Plant[3] The most accessible dunes are at the West Beach facility of the national lakeshore (Dunes Succession Trail); the Tremontís Trail in Indiana Dunes State Park, and at Mt. Baldy, located in the east end of the national lakeshore.

A swale is a low tract of land, especially one that is moist or marshy.[1] The term can refer to a natural landscape feature or a human-created one. Artificial swales are often designed to manage water runoff, filter pollutants, and increase rainwater infiltration.[2]

The swale concept has also been popularized as a rainwater harvesting and soil conservation strategy by Bill Mollison, Geoff Lawton and other advocates of permaculture. In this context it usually refers to a water harvesting ditch on contour. Another term used is contour bund.[3][4]

Natural swale
    Swales as used in permaculture are designed to slow and capture runoff by spreading it horizontally across the landscape (along an elevation contour line), facilitating runoff infiltration into the soil. This type of swale is created by digging a ditch on contour and piling the dirt on the downhill side of the ditch to create a berm. In arid climates, vegetation (existing or planted) along the swale can benefit from the concentration of runoff.

The term beach swale is also used to describe long, narrow, usually shallow troughs between ridges on a beach, that run parallel to the coastline.[

Dune & Swale

At the west end of the Indiana Dunes, in Gary there is a dune and swale province of the system. The area is characterized by low, linear sand ridges, parallel to the shoreline. Between these ridges are low areas of marsh or ponds. The ridges are characterized by prairie and savanna life forms and the marsh areas and ponds by the plants and wildlife of those characteristic areas of the dune lands. The dune and swale topography is easiest to see in the Miller Woods area of the lakeshore. Much of the dune and swales was eliminated by the construction of the industrial plants of Gary, East Chicago, Whiting and Hammond.

Edited by - Little Stevie on 12/13/2011 18:55:46
    Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  20:07:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    When you talk Dunes...you are talkin' my language.
    There are still remnants of the Nipissing Dunes located within the steel mill property in Gary. West Beach near Ogden Dunes was only salvaged because it was steel mill expansion property that never had a mill built on it. The Fed's acquired it back in the early 1970's.

I worked as a Ranger at Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore in the mid-1970's. It got me started on a long career in Natural Resources and ultimately as the program manager for the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.

From Magoun Avenue, to fighting forest fires out west, to managing the nation's most heavily used wilderness area. What a ride!

Edited by - duane on 12/13/2011 20:09:49
    Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  21:16:36  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    quote:

There are still remnants of the Nipissing Dunes located within the steel mill property in Gary. West Beach near Ogden Dunes was only salvaged because it was steel mill expansion property that never had a mill built on it. The Fed's acquired it back in the early 1970's.

I worked as a Ranger at Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore in the mid-1970's. It got me started on a long career in Natural Resources and ultimately as the program manager for the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.

From Magoun Avenue, to fighting forest fires out west, to managing the nation's most heavily used wilderness area. What a ride!

Canoe believe it???
    Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
    642 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  21:44:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Steve--

Well, I guess that answers that. And I'm assuming a beach swale is different than a beached whale, and contour bunde
    is not related to contraband, and.......(now I'm all confused).

Back to the Aerial shot of Woodmar---it's fascinating to see how the area around Indy Blvd was starting to spring up,
    and would soon enter its hey-day. Following Indy north from 169th, past Al's Meats and Ted's Foods on the east side,
    there's that little dark road (Martha St) that intersects Indy..and somewhere right on that corner, hidden in the small grouping
    of trees and buildings is the OLD GLORY TAVERN, at 6755 Indy, Stanley Zych, proprietor.

I believe it's the ONLY business that's visible in this pic that's STILL IN OPERATION TODAY (House o' Pizza
    was not yet up-and- running).

WHAT'S FASCINATING IS THIS EXCERPT from the 1948 Hammond Directory, which lists the businesses that were open
    around 4 years before this aerial shot was taken:

Notice that THERE WAS NOTHING TO BE FOUND ANYWHERE on Indianapolis Blvd in 1948...except for
    one little ol' establishment at 6755 Indy.

So here's a belated shout-out to Mr. Stanley Zych, a true Woodmar PIONEER!

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 12/14/2011 01:46:05
    Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
    359 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  23:05:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:

Steve--

Well, I guess that answers that. And I'm assuming a beach swale is different than a beached whale, and contour bunde
    is not related to contraband, and.......(now I'm all confused).

Hidden in the small grouping
    of trees and buildings is the OLD GLORY TAVERN, at 6755 Indy, Stanley Zych, proprietor.

I believe it's the ONLY business that's visible in this pic that's STILL IN OPERATION TODAY (House o' Pizza
    was not yet up-and- running).

WHAT'S FASCINATING IS THIS EXCERPT from the 1948 Hammond Directory, which lists the businesses that were open
    around 4 years before this aerial shot was taken:

Notice that [u]THERE WAS NOTHING TO BE FOUND ANYWHERE
    on Indianapolis Blvd in 1948...except for
    one little ol' establishment at 6755 Indy.

So here's a belated shout-out to Mr. Stanely Zych, a true Woodmar PIONEER!

LR

Ya Know Larry, as long as I lived on Magoun and have visited the vicinity, and as much beer as I've drank in my life . . . I've NEVER set foot in Old Glory Tavern!
    It was Pete Beda's favorite watering hole! I don't know how much my dad went there, if he ever did, but I'm sure he went once and a while.
    My Magoun Ave. establishment was none other than Bill's Boulevard Lounge which was located next to the gas station on the NE corner of Indy & 169th. St.
    I spent many a nights there, then would walk home. My dear mother would get up no matter what time
    I came in and would begin to cry, saying how "worried" she had been about me.
    Unfortunately, many of the times, while she was lecturing me, I was "talking" to God in the toilet, asking Him to forgive me, promising never to drink again!

Me thinks Old Glory should be a stop on our next "Walk Da Hood" get together, Hmmm?
    All out there are welcome to join us to "celebrate" what is one of the first businesses on Indianapolis Boulevard!
    (From there? HOP! Of course!)
    LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 12/13/2011 23:07:40
    Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
    359 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  23:14:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:

Duane, wasn't the scarp that is visible along LaPorte Ave. in Highland, through Wicker Park and along Ridgeway Ave. in Munster formed during the Nipissing Era? Thought that's what I read in "Calumet Beginnings". Seems the dunes in Gary would have formed later and were a part of the low Tolleston shoreline.
    I probably got me facts wrong.
    LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 12/13/2011 23:18:12
    Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
    642 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2011 :  01:53:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I was "talking" to God in the toilet, asking Him to forgive me, promising never to drink again!

Me thinks Old Glory should be a stop on our next "Walk Da Hood" get together, Hmmm?
    All out there are welcome to join us to "celebrate" what is one of the first businesses on Indianapolis Boulevard!
    LS

STEVE--
    As long as you're on that road to Hell, ya might as well do yer'
    drinking at Stanley's joint, in honor of the one true Indy Blvd
    pioneer
    . And I'll join you...even though I ain't much of a beer
    drinker; but as long as it leads us to HOP, I'm with ya.'

(And we'll announce it here, in case anyone else wants to drive
    back to 'da Region for a visit).

Larry
    Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
    359 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2011 :  12:24:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    OOOPS! Duane forgive me! I rechecked the facts in "Calumet Beginnings". The scarp was formed during the "Algonquin" Phase.
    The High Tolleston shoreline was formed during the Nipissing phase. This does include Miller woods & Gibson woods.
    Guess I should never question the authority of a park ranger!
    LS
    I'd love to hear about your experiences during your days at the Dunes!

Edited by - Little Stevie on 12/14/2011 12:25:20
    Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
    359 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2011 :  12:28:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:

I was "talking" to God in the toilet, asking Him to forgive me, promising never to drink again!

LS

STEVE--
    As long as you're on that road to Hell, ya might as well do yer'
    drinking at Stanley's joint, in honor of the one true Indy Blvd
    pioneer
    . And I'll join you...even though I ain't much of a beer
    drinker; but as long as it leads us to HOP, I'm with ya.'

(And we'll announce it here, in case anyone else wants to drive
    back to 'da Region for a visit).

Larry

Sounds good to me Larry! Maybe in the next week or two? When another former Magoun Ave. resident is in town? Hmmm?
    LS
    Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
    676 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2011 :  13:23:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I'm gonna be in town for Christmas, but I don't think I've ever even been on Magoo so I guess I don't qualify...Cj
    Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
    359 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2011 :  18:26:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by seejay2

I'm gonna be in town for Christmas, but I don't think I've ever even been on Magoo so I guess I don't qualify...Cj

CJ, you'd be more than welcome to join us! Larry & I would be more than happy to show you the "hood" on Magoun.
    Then, we could go to OLD GLORY Tavern. It'll be a "first" for me also!
    LS
    Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
    676 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2011 :  19:22:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Let me roll that around. We will be up there 23-26, but this will be in Valpo and then Lowell...Cj
    Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2011 :  23:40:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Little Stevie

OOOPS! Duane forgive me! I rechecked the facts in "Calumet Beginnings". The scarp was formed during the "Algonquin" Phase.
    The High Tolleston shoreline was formed during the Nipissing phase. This does include Miller woods & Gibson woods.
    Guess I should never question the authority of a park ranger!
    LS
    I'd love to hear about your experiences during your days at the Dunes!

But you were certainly correct about the old shoreline...Ridge road pretty much parallels the place where Lake Michigan used to lap up onto the beach.

Perhaps another day (and starting another thread) we can talk about the days at the dunes. Maybe ALL of us can tell stories of the dunes...as I'm sure there are many and some that can't be told here on the forum or in mixed company! Suffice it to say that my CB handle was Dune Boy, after the book by Edwin Way Teale about a boy who grew up in "dune country."
    Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
    642 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2011 :  14:28:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    OK, YOUSE' GUYS.....

Here's the fourth and LAST 8mm Home Movie from the Rapchak archives on Magoun. It's from Sunday,
    December 18th, 1960, the day of my sister Nancy's 6th Birthday party (her birthday is actually the 14th,
    but the Sunday worked better for a big party).

Lots of fun in the old Rapchak house; watch out for some of the
    dizzying camera work by my dad---- we were always trying to save on
    the film, so the camera often moved VERY quickly. The party was held
    in our great old basement, while the adults gathered upstairs in the
    newly-added kitchen for coffee and conversation:

Here's the private You-Tube link:

http://youtu.be/cl8ZaO2ixBc

Some things to watch for:

I'm in the blue flannel shirt, Mike in the bright red; Little Stevie
    is wearing a light blue dress shirt with a tie (!). Note that all of us kids are seated at (segregated) tables,
    but that little Cy Beda is sitting away from us all with his mother.

0:37 - the adults; my Aunt Mary (in blue) and Uncle Nelson-- 2 really cool people---and their daughter Debbie
    in the foreground (Debbie is the mother of Munster Marine Shaun Blue, who was killed in Iraq a few years ago,
    and whose memory is honored with a sign along Ridge Road by the Munster Town Hall). Also at the table are my
    grandmother (from across the street) and Mrs. Beda.

0:42 - there's Steve's pal Rod Hlad coming up the basement stairs.

0:44 - the next coffee shift in the kitchen includes Steve's parents, his dad, Andy...only seen from behind
    (and ALSO wearing a suit!), and Mrs. Kush facing us from across the table.

0:56 - oops--the original film got a bit messed up in the camera, so here's the Rapchak kids on
    Christmas Eve, 1960 and a "staged" opening of Christmas gifts.

1:12 - BACK TO THE PARTY --

1:19 - There's cousin Debbie pinning-the-the tail on the donkey, while Mike and I screw around in the background

1:30 - more fun with the dreaded PAPER-FISH-DRINKING STRAW game

1:35 -AND THERE HE IS-- "LITTLE STEVIE" in his Prime!!

1:53 - There's our great American Flyer train set-up (but all of the buildings were Lionel, so the scale
    was bigger than the Flyer trains...), and my little brother Phil

1:35 -- and there's our pal Alan Molchan, checking out the train set on his own (the transformer would
    mysteriously mal-function shortly after this incriminating footage was shot).

The opening music is the kiddie novelty tune "LITTLE KLINKER" by Tennessee Ernie Ford, released that year
    (our dad brought home the DJ copy on Saturday, Dec 3rd I recall); the song tells of a little pup who wakes up
    Santa when he oversleeps on Christmas Eve..another in the endless stream of critters in song and cartoon
    who save Christmas for us.

Enjoy this little journey into the past, and
    MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

Larry R

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 12/15/2011 14:37:39
    Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
    359 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2011 :  20:26:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    HOLY COW! Man Larry! your Dad really wanted to "get it all in one take"! I had to watch it a couple of times, using the "pause" button, to see my appearances! Pretty darn cool!
    Any idea who some of the other kids were? I'm thinking that Mickey Kovall was there. And Sarah Reeves? And what about my sisters? Probably didn't want to go to a "little kids" party!
    The shot with my parents, was that taken in the add-on room in back? Does anybody out there know anyone who still wears a suit to a birthday party?
    Once I get our 8mm transferred to DVD I'll post some of them. I know there's a 7th Birthday party of mine somewhere.
    LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 12/15/2011 20:30:26
    Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
    642 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2011 :  23:12:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    STEVE--

Yeah, grab your dramamime before viewing this film again....

Your sisters weren't there; they were too old for this sort of thing.
    One of the youngest girls looks like my Uncle Bill's daughter, but he
    wasn't there that day. I'm sure that one or more of the girls were
    Nancy's classmates from the Muffet School of Dance (in Hessville).
    I'll have to check again to see if Sarah is there. I don't think Mickey was among Nancy's friends.

Yeah, the coffee table shots were in the add-on kitchen. A happy day,
    especially since we would only have two or three days of school left that week. One week later was Christmas,
    and I got my "Visible Man" model. For a while after that, it looked like a career in medicine might be my calling.
    But my mother wouldn't let me have the Visible WOMAN model for my birthday in May '61, so I said to hell with it.

Larry

PS-- I guess you weren't kidding when you told me that Cy Beda was a real "momma's boy." It's kinda' sad
    to see him sitting over there with his mother.

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 12/15/2011 23:17:52
    Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
    359 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2011 :  17:03:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    If'n I'd taken the time to read the intro to your clip Larry, I wouldn't have had to ask some of those questions!
    LS
    Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
    359 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2011 :  01:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    A little off topic but. . .
    check out this earth shaking news story!
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/sns-rt-beach-boys-brian-wilsonmt1thewrap33708-20111216,0,1011398.story
    Maybe the sun will come up in the west someday!
    LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 12/17/2011 01:20:04
    Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2011 :  10:59:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Our should I have marked this..."Reply to Off-Topic?"

The band sounds great...and great to see that Brian and Al Jardine are back in the band this time...

Take a listen!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=tS2orIE2QUQ
    Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
    359 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  00:39:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:

Our should I have marked this..."Reply to Off-Topic?"

The band sounds great...and great to see that Brian and Al Jardine are back in the band this time...

Take a listen!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=tS2orIE2QUQ

It's been rumored about @ brianwilson.com for some time. Glad to see it happen!
    Once the SMiLE SESSiONS were released, this was only a matter of time. Plenty of unreleased material still in the vault!
    LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 12/18/2011 00:39:23
    Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
    642 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  04:47:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    BACK TO THE TOPIC AT HAND......

Today, Sunday, December 18th, is 51 years to the day that the home movie of Nancy's birthday
    was filmed...so I'd like to add a comment about it.

My late brother Mike and I were nuts....most of the time in a good, creative way. At Mike's wake
    in January, 2010, I gave a short eulogy in which I talked about our zany personal brand of behavior
    that we shared, citing a particular incident involving our home movies.

When we watched our home movies on the old projector, the thing we enjoyed the most was REWINDING the film,
    when you could actually watch all of the action in REVERSE; we'd all howl til' our sides ached and the tears were
    streaming. So one time when my dad had the camera running, Mike and I concocted the most INSANE plan that
    only WE would know about: we would work our way unnoticed into the background of a scene and
    perform some silly, cartoon-y action in REVERSE---
    so that when the film was being rewound, it would look like the two of us were moving in FORWARD motion.

So here's what we decided to do:

a.) I would sit on some object, and
    b.) Mike would stand facing me a few feet in front of me.
    c.) I would quickly jump up TOWARDS Mike, so that my chin would
    meet his clenched fist, which
    d.) he would then quickly draw backwards.

Pretty inane, UNTIL YOU REWOUND THE FILM----THEN it would look as if Mike PUNCHED me in the jaw,
    and I flew backwards off my feet and onto the object in a sitting position.

So that was our clever plan...which we put into action at Nancy's
    birthday party
    .....unnoticed by our dad as he filmed the boring
    Pin-the-tail-on-the-jackass game in the foreground.

HERE's THE YOU-TUBE LINK AGAIN:

at 1:17, you see me in the blue shirt position myself on our mom's cedar chest, which is covered with an
    orangeish-pink bed spread. MIke, in the red shirt, stands in front of me.

at 1:19, the brilliant plan is put into action; of course, without "rehearsal" and only one shot at it,
    it's pathetically bad, especially since we were trying not to call attention to ourselves.

at 1:23, our mother notices the messed-up bed spread on the cedar chest, and straightens it. I still recall
    her saying "Don't make a mess, you guys..." or something similar.

So almost 50 years later, I'm standing at Mike's wake at the La Hayne Funeral Home on Southeastern Ave,
    and I recalled this incident as an example of the wonderful, wacky sense of humor that Mike and I shared
    as kids and into our adult life.
    And I told the crowd...."yeah, you can actually see us do it on the old home movie
    of Nancy's birthday party in December, 1960."

LR ~ 12/18/11
    -------------------------------------------

(MORE TRIVIA about this video clip...)

In the background of the party footage (when the camera isn't flying at supersonic speed), you can see
    much of our plastic model collection: my Bachmann BIRD models on the wall-shelves, along
    with the ITC company's DOG models, the Pyro Stegosauraus and Tyrannosaurus, and the ITC Neanderthal Man
    and T.Rex Skeleton models are all visible; also, you see some of my dad's big LP collection,
    ensconced in his home-made shelves.

ALSO----at 0:37 to 0:41 ~ the white sugar bowl that's visible on the table in front of my grandmother
    is the VERY SAME bowl that I used in 2010 for the close-ups in the insane "Nuttin' for Christmas" video
    that's on You-Tube.

Here it is: http://youtu.be/O9XHEUTvVAc

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 12/19/2011 01:30:34
    Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
    359 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  17:21:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Larry, that's a great hidden feature of this film!
    Our projector didn't rewind the film that way. After the movie was over,
    we had to restring the film in the "feed" reel and it would quickly rewind the film, not going through the film gate or sprockets.
    LS
    Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
    642 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2011 :  00:42:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Speaking of my brother Mike...

Here's a pic from December of 1958, leading up to our favorite-ever Christmas. Mike with Nancy sitting on our sled
    out front of our house on Magoun. In the background is the laundromat on 169th, with Floyd Darnell's Barber Shop
    (the tiny white door..with the mini-barber pole on the extreme left end of the building; check out the second pic
    back on page 1 of this thread).

Steve--isn't that your relatives' house right next door to Floyd's--on the left?

This photo is looking NORTH---also visible are the now-notorious apartments across 169th; directly behind where
    Mike is standing would be the Carson's facade in Woodmar Shopping Center in the distance.

The plaid wool scarf that Nancy is wearing was actually mine (it was
    light blue and white); Mike got a similar one (maroon, yellow and
    black plaid) at the same time (around 1956), which our mother kept throughout the years.
    I recently claimed it, and wear it regularly today. It's small and itchy, but hey.....

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 12/19/2011 00:55:01
    Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Previous Page | Next Page
     New Topic  Reply to Topic
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page