Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  13:20:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"If you look closely in the background by Mike's ear, you can see the rear side of
the "L-L-Y-'S" of the Kelly's Drive-In letters on Indy Blvd."

I was a carhop at Kelly's Drive In the summer of 1957. Nicholas and Helen
Kikilos were the owners. They now own liquor stores. One night a week,
Nick would don a suit and a homburg, get into a big black limo (not a stretch)
that would drive up to get him and go to Chicago to gamble--or so we guessed.
We always speculated whether he was part of the mafia--never mind he was
Greek.

Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  14:47:12  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lar:

That Chevy with the visor is not a '56. It looks like it might be a '53. Not sure what year it actually is, but I AM sure it is not a '56.

Tomster
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  15:27:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TOM--

Of course you're right. My mistake. On big page 3 of this thread, there's another pic of
the car which I got right; it was a '54 (or maybe '53, since they were very similar). Shortly
after the pic above was taken, we did get a '56 wagon (black and white), which you can see
in a couple of the you-tube home movies I posted.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 11/12/2011 15:28:07
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  17:18:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry!
Do I have a surprise for you!
One and only HINT:
I'll be posting a picture soon of something that will show what an influence Mike had on Little Stevie way back then!
I didn't even know it till now!
LS
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  17:25:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe the grandchildren of Nicholas and Helen Kikilos now own the liquor stores. Nick and Liz.
I graduated with Liz in '73 from dear old Donald E. Gavit.

The old man was a fanatic about his grass like Kurteff.
He once told my mother that she shouldn't allow myself and Cy to play catch or "Frizbee" on our grass cause we would kill it.

To which my mother replied:
"Mr. Kikilos, you're going to be dead and buried, I'm going to be dead and buried, and that grass will still be there."

With that Kikilos looked surprised then. . . turned and walked away.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 11/12/2011 17:26:29
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  20:05:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK LARRY!
Here it is!
SCROLL DOWN
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V

Yep! This is sitting on a shelf with all my other cameras!
I believe it's the same make, just black

I've had this camera for I don't know how long!
It has to be 45-48 years old.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 11/12/2011 20:12:26
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2011 :  00:38:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE--

THAT'S THE ONE!
Mike's was a light grey...but the other parts are the same color
(mostly RED--like the shutter button). What's the brand name on
the thing?

Groovy, man.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 11/13/2011 00:38:54
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2011 :  10:34:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HassoBenSoba

STEVE--

THAT'S THE ONE!
Mike's was a light grey...but the other parts are the same color
(mostly RED--like the shutter button). What's the brand name on
the thing?

Groovy, man.

Larry

IMPERIAL
is the make. I'll bring it the next time we get together, which should be soon. It's still has my name on it, you know, one of those embossed labels that were popular back in the sixties.
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2011 :  16:09:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another typical day in the life of the Rapchaks on Magoun ~

From Fall of '58---Mike, Nancy and I each had a pair of toy glasses that were
called "ZOOGIE EYES!". The lenses were what were called "wiggle pictures" (remember those?),
that changed appearance when you rocked them back and forth. In this case, the eyes were either wide open or half-closed.

What's funny is that Mike and I each assumed a pose for this pic: Mike's doing his monster thing, while I'm clearly the nerdy dufus...
and the EYES happened to be in the right "mode" for each of our poses. Nancy's just lost in the fog of a bright flash-bulb. The
pic was taken in the SOUTHEAST corner of our great old basement; the cabinets in the background had been recently built by my dad;
when Steve, his sisters and I actually walked through the house this past July, the new owner told me he had scrapped the cabinets
when he put in a bedroom in that corner.

You can see some cool things on the cabinets: plastic and papier-mache jack-o-lanterns, what looks like a toy boat of some sort
on top of an old radio, and our very first set of Aurora plastic KNIGHT models, which my dad had bought and assembled in early '58.

RIGHT BEHIND MIKE'S HEAD (left) is a 1958 Calendar from OLPH church that featured religious paintings for each month; we had two
copies of this calendar displayed in the house that year---this one in the basement plus another one up in the kitchen--
WHICH I STILL HAVE. I'll post a page from it sometime.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 11/14/2011 16:15:44
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2011 :  22:11:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been checking the Hammond City Directories from 1958-61 for info on the businesses on Indy Blvd in Woodmar.
Here again is the Purdue Archive shot looking NORTH on Indy towards 169th, taken near the Van Til's store on 171st.

Here's the 1961 Directory listing for this same block -

On the right (EAST) side of the street, you see the Jewel store in the distance, then the Top-Hat sign of
Dunhill's, then the CHAPMAN laundry letters on top of their building, the Kaplan Shoes letters (intersecting
with the top of the '55 Olds), and the SHU from Shutan's Kiddie Shop; had the picture exetended a bit further
south, the next building would have been the great old REXALL drug store ("Indianapolis Pharm") at 7011 Indy.

On the left (WEST) side is House of Pizza (yeah!), the Patty-Cake Bakery, the the "Gift Shop" portion of
Woodmar Jewelers sign, mostly hidden in the tree branches. The legendary Serenade Drive-In is obscured
somewhere in the cluster of trees overhanging the street.

This was the "BIG CITY" to me during my years on Magoun Ave.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 11/18/2011 22:14:59
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2011 :  01:12:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's an EASY trivia question for ya all:
On the list Larry provided, the phone#'s are listed.
My question is: What did the "TI" stand for before the "4"?
LS
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2011 :  04:28:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats tooo easy, man. Ask them to tell all of the early ones from Sheffield and Russell on. One of these guys even knows WHY and WHO the prefixes stand for. Thanks Steve. Tom W
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2011 :  06:46:43  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tilden, Russell, Sheffield, Westmore are the ones I remember in Hammond.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2011 :  07:57:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember a Temple(Te)too, but I don't remember for where...Cj
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2011 :  08:33:24  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WE 3-0308 will remain in my mind as long as I live. That was my home phone number on Woodward Avenue, where I lived from late 1955 (age six) until I left the nest in 1971.
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2011 :  09:49:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TE was TEmple in Highland and at least part of Munster.

I'll always remember TI4-6708 (Judy's phone number) and TI5-1701 (my phone number). Notice the "1701." That's the Enterprise even before there was a Star Trek.

Larry -- It looks like we need the 1958 directory to figure out what that music store was next to Chapman Cleaners in the 1959 Morton yearbook photo.

Ken
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2011 :  10:55:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we touched on this one before, but my best friend's (3 brothers) down the block from me was Judy's number after it was shaken up in a paper bag---Ti4-7860...Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 11/19/2011 10:56:17
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2011 :  14:08:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, WE was Westmore. Tom W
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2011 :  14:09:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tom w

Thats tooo easy, man. Ask them to tell all of the early ones from Sheffield and Russell on. One of these guys even knows WHY and WHO the prefixes stand for. Thanks Steve. Tom W

I figgered it was! Pray tell. . .who is "da guy" who knows the "why & who"? I have never heard the reasons for the prefix names.
Fess up out there, will ya? It sounds like an interesting story related to Magoun & Hessville threads!
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2011 :  15:21:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry -- It looks like we need the 1958 directory to figure out what that music store was next to Chapman Cleaners in the 1959 Morton yearbook photo.

Ken

KEN-- What Morton Yearbook photo is it? Have you posted it somewhere? Must see.

Incidentally, I was at the Hammond Public Library's Historical Room
yesterday; they have the '58 City Directory as well as MANY Hammond High and Morton Yearbooks; I think I'll spend some
more time there this week and check the yearbook ad sections for photos. My ultimate "Holy Grail" goal: a full-view pic
of the SERENADE Drive-In.

ALSO--I checked their photo archives and found a couple of interesting things--including a shot of the ORIGINAL
red-and-white striped
FABULOUS HOT-DOG building at 169th and Arizona, as described in the "FABULOUS HOT-DOG TACOS"
thread here on Sheptalk. I'll see if I can get access to some of these things and post them here.

ALSO-- without peeking, I think TILDEN was the dude who ran for president and lost to Rutherford B Hayes around 1876.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 11/19/2011 15:22:14
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2011 :  16:10:24  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tom w

Tom, WE was Westmore. Tom W

Yep. WEstmore 3-0308.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2011 :  17:16:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops, senior moment. Sorry Larry.

This picture was a two page spread in the 1959 Top Hat that was used as an introduction to the advertising section. It was taken in the fall of 1958 or winter 1958-59. Jim Zacny found a glossy print of the photo and posted it on Facebook. We couldn't figure out what music store was next to Chapman Cleaners where Dunhill's was in 1961. When you get back to the local history room could you check the 1958 directory to see if you can find the name of that store?

That looks like Thom McAn's to the left of Van Til's in the photo.

Ken

Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2011 :  19:34:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Educated Guess tells me that the music store was Foster's @ 6945 or so.
Then, by 1961, they moved to the location listed on Larry's list, across the street.
Then, needing more room and (less rent) they purchased the land the Serenade was on and built there.
Just a guess!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 11/19/2011 19:36:04
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2011 :  00:52:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KEN--

Fabulous picture; really first-rate. Yep, that's the way the Blvd used to look: wide-open, clean, up-scale..in a modest sort of way,
lots of neon. Wow. (I've never checked Facebook/Planet Hammond; do they have a lot of stuff like this?)

Yes, that's Tom Mcann on the SW corner of Indy and 171st, with the
elegant KARLINE HOUSE showroom just beyond it. And that Van Til's sign is something I haven't seen in 40+ years.

Here's some interesting questions that this photo brings up:
1.) The banner hanging on the Music Store says "COOK'S" -- which makes sense since, as you'll see below (in '61), there was a COOK's Piano and Organ Store a block NORTH-- at 6826. So the business obviously had moved by then. But what business moved into the former Cook's space that we see in your pic? There's nothing listed there in '61.

2.) The picture shows Wulf's Cleaners and Chapman's...just as the '58 and '61 Directories say, and further down you see the sign for Shutan's, listed as 7009 in both '58 and '61. HOWEVER...there, big as day, is the REXALL Drug sign--EXACTLY WHERE I REMEMBER it being located---practically next door to Chapman's --- but both Directories list it as 7011 Indy, which would have been SOUTH of Shutan's, whereas the yearbook pic CLEARLY shows it being NORTH of it.

That's weird, because I just parked my car and walked that block earlier tonight, and my memory tells me that Rexall was further north than 7011---and, sure enough, your picture confirms that it was. So why do both directories list Rexall ("Indianapolis Pharm") further south on the block-- at 7011?

It's not like I feel my life unraveling because of this...but it IS fascinating to examine these things 50+ years later.

Anyway, to add to the fun and confusion, here's the '61 Directory listing of the 2 blocks of Indy NORTH of 169th which, in addition to the re-located Cook's, contained a WURLITZER ORGAN store, right next to Al's Quality Meats--- only in 'da Region could you find a fancy-schmancy ORGAN emporium right next door to the local butcher shop (for years, Al's had a big painted diagram of a side of beef on his front door; the beef was white, the background door was a reddish-brown).

I remember Ted's Food Mart (6817) for one reason..back
around '55, on a cloudy summer day, they had a live elephant in their parking lot (on the north side of the bulding). My dad took Mike and I over to see the critter, which I assume was there to attract business for their big opening day. I remember the elephant had a big chain on its front leg, and that there was a worker with a huge push broom and shovel to clean up after the big guy. That night I had a dream that we were back in front of Ted's--it was night with a big moon in the sky and the workers were burning the elephant turds in a bonfire near the street.

Across the street (west side) was the FAT BOY restaurant (by '64 it was called "O'Sullivan's Fat-Boy"; by '71, it was listed as VACANT). Also, good old ARROW HARDWARE, in one of the nifty new brown-brick storefronts (with COOK's now next-door to
it). Mike got his toy air-rifle at Arrow in the summer of '58--
and HERE HE IS, a proud new sharpshooter, ready to terrorize the neighborhood

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 11/23/2011 01:51:24
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2011 :  04:24:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Larry. I wonder why there is no listing for the Joe Hirsch store in the article above? That was the only store that could drag me away from downtown. Strange because my parents lived on Monroe St. and the girl I dated and married lived on 167th. I might guess, however, that there is more than one store missing. The article is a fascinating chronology of a piece of property. Thanks to you and Steve for the tremendous amount of time and research that you put into this thread. Also as a sidebar, I think that you both have tremendous memor powers indicative of an ideal childhood enviroment. Tom W
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2011 :  09:52:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,

I checked my scan of the left section of this photo (1.06 MB). The Rexall sign is in much sharper focus than Shutan's; meaning it is closer to the camera.

There are some good pictures on Facebook / Planet Hammond, and many that are not so good. The pictures are filed in 100 or so albums by categories. Jim is interested in Hammond history and spends quite a bit of time at the local history room.

Ken
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2011 :  16:36:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KEN and TOM---

KEN--
The Rexall thing is baffling; your '58 yearbook pic confirms my
memories of its location, but the Directory listing contradicts it.
Incidentally---I double-checked the Rexall location by using the YELLOW PAGE LISTING in the '59-60 Phone Book
(also at the library). There it is: REXALL DRUGs at 7011 Indy (but it was NOT listed in the '58 Yellow Pages at all )
But the photo clearly shows it further NORTH by a few doors--- it would be 7003 Indy, in between Wulf's cleaners
(I clearly remember that Rexall SHARED a building with another small business on its north end) and Kaplan's Shoes, at 7005.
Totally mysterious.

TOM--- Glad you like this thread; yeah, Steve and I (and his sisters!) remember quite a bit of detailed stuff from the old days--
and it's great to be able to find a group of folks that appreciates it.

I think we'll revitalize the old thread for Woodmar Mall (it's somewhere on big page 5 of Sheptalk) and start adding to it, as
opposed to piling it onto this thread; Woodmar Shopping Center definitely deserves its own thread. Re: Joe Hirsch--- I have
three sets of listing's for Woodmar Mall's stores (from the '58, '61 and '71 Directories) and there's NO Joe Hirsch listed in any
of them(?) I wonder why; there's Benson-Rixon Men's Clothes, but no Hirsch. Another mystery we'll have to explore.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 11/23/2011 02:04:13
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2011 :  23:53:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a daytime pic----so heavily re-touched that it looks like a cut-and-paste job (and lifted from the
Planet Hammond site, I'll admit)-- of the Van Til's store at 171st and Indy.

I clearly remember a hot, sunny weekend afternoon--probably in '55--
when the Oscar Mayer Wienermobile was in town, and was parked in the Van Til's lot (facing south) right
in the spot where the station wagon is parked in this photo. I remember "Little Oscar" (or one of his phony doubles)
ushering us up the front stairs and through the vehicle.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 11/23/2011 01:57:00
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  06:51:49  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool, Larry! Tell us more about that experience. What was in the Wienermobile?

Edited by - Tom J on 11/22/2011 06:52:25
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  07:14:03  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Larry, were you in your time machine so that you could see Little Oscar a year before the store was there?

Bob
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  08:27:19  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I still have mine.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  10:24:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BOB WoW, that IS 5he original style. When we lived in Madison and I was working on my degrees, someone got me a whistle from the factory but the new ones only had one note, I think. And I was disappointed because I remembered the old ones.Little Oscar was a friend of mine and he lived in Hobart. Tom W

Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  21:23:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob--

Like, DUH, man......

Here I'm supposed to be doing some scholarly Region research and I
can't even keep my years straight. Das Wienermobile obviously would have had to have been '56---
probably as part of the grand opening festivites of the new Van Til's store at its new location.

But...talk about screw-ups....here (also lifted from Planet H.) is another officially mounted-and-framed
picture of the FORMER Van Til's site, prior to the 1956 opening at 7030 Indy:

PROBLEM IS---this "official" plaque has the ADDRESS WRONG! It should read 7110, NOT 7010.
Apparently, this second version of Van Til's was on Indy Blvd JUST SOUTH of the intersection with 171st Street---
right about where the Thom McAnn Shoe Store would soon open (at 7120 Indy--a new building?). So in '56,
Van Til's literally moved a few hundred feet across the street to the NORTH of 171st, at 7030 Indy.

The incorrect address in the photo above---7010 Indy---was occupied at the time by the Patty-Cake Bakery.
-------------------------------------
TOM-- I don't remember much at all about our brisk walk through the giant Wiener that day; there was a central aisle
like in a bus,and I seem to remember lots of control panels and gauges, etc along the walls as we walked through.
I was totally underwhelmed, even at age 5.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 11/23/2011 01:58:29
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  22:11:32  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Can't help with Van Til's, my first Wienermobile encounter was at Morry's Market at Harrison and Standard (165th). I don't know what year that was.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  22:24:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, I believe I read on Planet Hammond that Tom McAnn's moved into the Vantil building at 7110.

Lance Springs on Facebook: "I believe that this was the first Van Til's building on Indianapolis Blvd. They built a larger building and Thom McAnn renovated this bldg. They were right next to each other, I think."

By the looks of the 2 pictures, I believe he's right. I should see Frank or Sam Van Til the first week of December at the Christmas party they have for their vendors. Even though it's been 8 years or more since myself and other Pepsi retirees have serviced their stores, they still invite us to the party.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 11/22/2011 22:40:49
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  22:48:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve--

Yep- yer' right again.

It's clearly the same building. I wasn't sure, since the street addresses were different. Van Til's address had been 7110 Indy,
and McAnn's was 7020---but that's because the shoe store used its new doors on the SOUTH side of the buidling as their
official address...10 street numbers to the south from where Van Til's entrance had been.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 11/23/2011 01:11:02
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  23:41:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HassoBenSoba

Steve--

Yep- yer' right again.

It's clearly the same buidling. I wasn't sure, since the street addresses were different. Van Til's address had been 7110 Indy,
and McAnn's was 7020---but that's because the shoe store used its new doors on the SOUTH side of the buidling as their
official address...10 street numbers to the south from where Van Til's entrance had been.

Larry

WOW! What determines the distance for a change of address? And how many feet equal a single or double digit difference?
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2011 :  01:08:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We'll probably never find a good, full-view shot of the classic SERENADE Drive-In
on Indy & 169th, so here's the next-best thing: a line-drawing of the joint from the
May, 1953 Yellow Pages ad -

The tree behind it was really there; we used to call it "The Serenade Tree". On late summer afternoons, we'd be
watching the Mickey Mouse Club, the doors and windows were open, the sun was shining on the tree (as we looked
out our front window to the east), and a massive army of birdies would sit in that tree chirping away; it was a very
happy, relaxing sound---one of those great memories from that time when summer seemed to go on forever.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 11/29/2011 15:17:32
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2011 :  09:38:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Thanksgiving! to all here at Sheptalk!

It was the holiday the Kush's hosted for our family members.
I can still remember the work my Dad would put into getting the basement ready.
Scrubbing & waxing the floor the night before.
Hanging sheets up to hide the oil tank and other things.
The smell of the turkey already cooking when I woke up that morning.
Some of the photos already posted in this thread were from past Thanksgivings.

Here are a few more photos from Thanksgivngs past:

L to R
Grandpa Surowiec, Grandma Kush and Mom
Little Stevie is still "in the oven" in this picture! ___________________________________________Uncles Fritz & John Surowiec and cousin Johnny

Dinner was held upstairs in 1956. Why? I dunno!

Paul, Aunt Marge, Uncle John and Johnny Surowiec, Grandma Surowiec,
Aunt Kathy & Uncle Fritz Surowiec,
Grandpa Surowiec and Cousin Joann Kush is on the left side of the table ________________Aunt Alice Surowiec, Carolyn, Grandma Kush, Aunt Fran Kush, Joann, Aunt Pat Surowiec and Bev

Back in the basement!

. . . . . . . . . .
L to R
Aunt Kathy's mother Mrs. McCoy, Bev, Aunt Kathy's sister Sue and new cousin Bob______Aunt Marge, Aunt Kathy & Uncle Fritz and Aunt Kathy's dad, Mr. McCoy

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Grandma Surowiec, Aunt Marge my mother's cousin and wife, Monica & Zig Surowiec, Mrs. McCoy, Aunt Fran. I believe Uncle fritz is hidden by his mother-in-law.

Those were the DAYS!
Happy Thanksgiving!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 12/01/2011 19:02:11
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2011 :  10:38:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And a happy thanksgiving to you Stevie--and all others who are on the site,
lurking as the turkey and dressing aromas spread throughout the various homes.

I have an hour-long drive to make to get to that situation......

Hope all are well and surrounded by friends and family today.

Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2011 :  00:45:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE--

GREAT vintage photos; our basements were EXACTLY the same design, as
were the rest of our houses. It's amazing that you guys could pack so many people into such a small space.
(But the ceiling in the 6th pic is different than ours; looks like its got some sort of dry-wall over it, whereas
our ceiling was just the wooden underside of the main-level floor, joists and all).

Too bad your dad took all of the pics, since we don't get to see him in any of them.

Hope everyone is enjoying a nice, restful Thanksgiving weekend.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 11/26/2011 00:51:04
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2011 :  10:22:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As for the Serenade Drive-In, it was owned by Allen Wright and Karl Fisher (AlKar Inc.). They also owned the cleaners on the south of the Serenade. They tore down the cleaners and built a single story office/small business building there. Several years later the Serenade was torn down and an office/small business building was built there. At one time the state unemployment office was located in one of the buildings as was Allstate Ins. and a business that made trophys.
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2011 :  19:29:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember the Serenade being torn down and Foster Music going in the new building. Johann Bowling made the trophies.
Later, Karnes bought out Fosters then the Unemployment office moved in after them. The name Fisher rings a bell.
Larry, I might know who might have, and where we can find a picture of the Serenade!
It'll be a looong shot but we've had pretty good luck when it comes to "taking chances" regarding "Magoun Ave. Memories!"
We'll discuss it Tuesday!
See you then.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 11/26/2011 19:33:35
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  03:02:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve--

As stated earlier somewhere on this thread, I worked at Foster's Music as a sales-dork from late August-to early December, 1967...
right when I started my junior year at Morton at the newly opened school. Mr Foster himself sat in a big leather, throne-like chair
in his office up on the 2nd level behind big, full-length windows. He was a tall, impeccably-dressed, white-haired and very threatening
dude with a southern accent and a sharp-edged voice that cut through you like a knife-blade. He only stooped to address me a couple
of times...and none of it was encouraging.

I didn't hang around long.

AND HERE, fresh from the musty old archives, is a photo from the
Hammond Times, fall of '67. It's a small feature ad-plug for Foster's
Music of Woodmar; the photographer decided to stage a scene around one of
their pianos, as if it were a real sales-pitch.

The guy on the right was one of the old-time salesmen from the store;
the other two "customers"---pressed into service for the photo--- were
one of the saleswomen from the first floor and...can you guess the identity of the
freaky-fruity guy on the left?

LR

PS-- No, that's not a bolt of lightning on the left side of the pic, striking down the evil Foster empire;
it's wear-and-tear on the 44-year old photo.

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/11/2012 19:34:58
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  02:49:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, YOUSE' GUYS......
Little Stevie Kush and I gotta tell you about our DATE last night(Tuesday the 29th) with our old Magoun Ave
neighbor Mrs. Klish. We had a big Pizza outing at...where else?....the legendary House o' Pizza right across the way on Indy Blvd.

Mrs. Klish is one grand lady--man, is she sharp for 93 years! Memory that puts mine to shame. I could barely keep up with her
in terms of conversation----AND pizza eating!

Here's two pics---- Steve can tell you about the first one, in which he presented Mrs. Klish with a token of the respect
we have for her.

After dinner, we pulled out the old photo albums and reminisced; Steve's sister Carol and his wife Dawn were also there.
Then the big presentation was made---
a beautifully framed collage (by Dawn) of our Trick-or-Treat pics from 1955 and 2011 with me, Bev Kush and Mrs. Klish
on her porch (see elsewhere on this thread) PLUS the Hammond Times article by Phil Potempa
which appeared on October 30th of this year.

You could tell how much Mrs. Klish really appreciated this gift, along with every other aspect of this very enjoyable evening.
She's a great lady, and we intend to stay in touch with her. It's amazing to now have the pleasure and honor to become
reacquainted with one of the original "founders" of the 6900 block of Magoun Ave from all those years ago.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 12/01/2011 02:55:25
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  07:12:58  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, Lar, this is WAY beyond "cool"! Thank you so very much, Lar and LS, for sharing this with us.

I wish I could have been there even though I don't know the dear lady. I would have been able to relate to all that was going on because I, too, have had neighbors who were dear to me as I was growing up.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  16:49:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Tuesday's Date with Mrs. Klish was a very good time! The way the weather was . . . cold . . . very windy, I didn't know if she would still be willing to go out!
I had a contingency plan ready. Order the pizza and dine at her house. I was fully prepared. Paper plates, napkins and of course, a 12 pak of Pepsi for our dining pleasure.
Whence I arrived at her home, Larry was already there. I didn't even need to ask about staying at her house cause 30 seconds after I arrived, she was putting on her coat and babushka!
We decided that she would ride with me, and Larry would go first, park his car and help her into HOP since the wind was a blowin'!
Carolyn was already there and had a table reserved for us. My wife Dawn arrived about 15 minutes later.
Right before the pizzas (we ordered 2 cause the 2 younger women didn't want green olives on theirs) I asked for everybody's attention at our table.

This is what the first picture Larry posted is about.

At our house, we have a tradition that on special days, birthdays or events, someone is selected to receive recognition for their being. We present them with a "Red Plate" for their meal.

This shows our gratitude for all they have done for us and our feelings of how special they are to us.

I presented Mrs. Klish with the "Red Plate" for dinner that night along with a commemorative document which read:

The
"Magic of the Red Plate"

It was a time honored tradition among early American families
that when someone deserved special praise or attention
they were served dinner on the red plate.
Today, this custom, so dear to early American families,
returns to remind us that a simple reward can mean so much.

The Red Plate is the perfect way to acknowledge a friend or family member's
special triumphs...celebrate a birthday...praise a job well done...reward a goal achieved...or simply say
"You Are Special Today."
When the Red Plate is used, any meal becomes
a celebration honoring that special person, event or deed.
It is a visible reminder of love and esteem.
This is our way of showing someone dear to us that they are appreciated and remembered.

Magoun Ave. Senior Resident
Josephine Klish

All in all, We all had a great time! And for 93, she is amazing!
LS
Oh yeah. . . I can't believe how much weight the camera adds to photos!

Edited by - Little Stevie on 12/01/2011 17:15:52
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  18:35:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One other incident that happened Tuesday night
that, along with all of you, Larry will be reading here first!

After pizza, I had my wife follow me to Mrs. Klish's house to help her up the stairs and into her home.
As we got out of the cars and began walking up her driveway, the front door opens at the house next to hers on the south!

A woman sticks her head out the door asking:
"Is that Mrs. Klish? Is she there?"
Mrs. Klish looks up and says yeah it's me. I've been out for pizza with a few of the kids that grew up here on Magoun.

Her neighbor says that she saw us leaving around 5:30 and that she was worried about her.
She called the house a few times and even sent her husband over to see if Mrs. Klish was alright.
She said she was going to wait another 10 or 15 minutes before she called the police!
Well, we assured her that all was well and that we had just spent an evening reminiscing about the great times on Magoun Ave.

It tells you how great it is to know that there are still people who care and will keep your best interests at heart.
May God bless all who have lived and are still living on the 6900 block of Magoun Ave. in Hammond.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 12/01/2011 18:40:29
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  19:42:37  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, if that ain't somethin'! I thought those days were long gone when neighbors looked out for one another. That's great, Stevie!

Tom
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  21:30:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE--

NO kidding; what a way to end a great evening!

RE: the SECOND picture above----Mrs Klish is touching the old 1955 photo in the frame;
immediately after I took this pic, she said: "I was young then..." I pointed to me in the pic
with my silly D. Duck mask and leather hat and said "So was I", which caused her to chuckle.

Time does move on.

larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 12/01/2011 21:32:36
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page