Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2011 :  14:51:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TOM J--

Can't imagine how I managed to MISS the pic you posted on 10/21
(with you and your pedal fire-truck); very cool. The birthday cake on the table (w/ 2 candles) tells all.

Do you have more where this one came from?

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 10/30/2011 14:51:27
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2011 :  21:31:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad Y'all liked the article! If'n it wasn't for Larry, none of this would have happened!

Here's how strange fate can be:

Last year, a week or so before Christmas, my neighbor, Eunice Michalski, sent me an e-mail with a link to a Christmas video called "I'm gettin' nuthin' for Christmas".

Well, as I read about it, I noticed it was created by one Lawrence Rapchak. I'm thinking, "How does Eunice know Larry?"

Turned out she didn't. She was just forwarding the e-mail to her contacts. I watched the video, then commented on it, telling Larry that it was special.

I also told him who I was, figuring he'd remember me even though we hadn't seen each other in years when my wife and two sons and I took my mother to the H.O.P. one Saturday night, 20 years or so ago.

Anyway, who's there having pizza? Why Mike and Larry Rapchak! Neighbors we hadn't seen since when? The early 60's?

Larry contacted me to thank me for the comments on the video and said we should get together. To make a long story short, the article is the culmination of that first e-mail from my neighbor, who, by the way,
brought over the article for me this morning from her paper! She had never seen Larry's picture before this morning and she has only met my sister once, I believe.

Here's a picture of Beverly in her costume at the church Halloween party that same year. Only this time, she's facing the camera.

In this next picture, she's standing with our cousin, Paul Surowiec, who passed away in 1997.

Me thinks Larry & I are going to go on a date with Mrs. Klish. We hear she loves pizza!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 10/30/2011 21:34:24
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2011 :  21:51:24  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HassoBenSoba

TOM J--

Can't imagine how I managed to MISS the pic you posted on 10/21
(with you and your pedal fire-truck); very cool. The birthday cake on the table (w/ 2 candles) tells all.

Do you have more where this one came from?

Larry

Lar, I only added the picture yesterday evening.

I might be able to dig around and find some other old pictures. I might even start a thread about my childhood on Woodward Avenue. It seems that we all enjoy seeing the childhood pictures of our fellow Region Rats.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2011 :  21:55:07  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
LS:

That is so cool how you and Larry got hooked up again! I'm sure glad you did!

Tomster
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2011 :  22:12:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone should get Mrs. Klish a copy of the article. It just may end up under the glass on her dresser.
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2011 :  22:22:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken--

I called Mrs Klish today; she has a copy of the article and told me that a friend called her and said "now you've got your 15 minutes of fame!" She seemed genuinely pleased and, again, was as sharp and quick with her responses as any of us. I asked if she likes pizza (which she does), so I told her that Steve and I would take her on a date to House of Pizza (practically across the street from her house) soon.

She commented that the photos in the article today were a bit washed out (which they are), so I told her that Steve and I would get her a nice color copy of the new one in a frame; I then said--- "oops, it's supposed to be a surprise" to which she immediately responded "then I'll make sure and act surprised!"

Larry
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2011 :  22:33:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK...MAKE SURE YOU'RE SITTING DOWN FOR THIS ONE....

Since Steve has posted a pic of his sister Bev's "Campbell Kid" costume that she was
wearing on Halloween '55 (when the photo on Mrs. Klish's porch was taken), I've decided
to post a FULL-FRONTAL shot of the grotesque rubber masks that Mike and I were wearing
in the same photo! It's a wonder that Mrs. Klish didn't shriek in horror and/or call the cops when she saw us standing there!

That's me on the left as the hideously deformed "DONALD DUCK!", and
Mike on the right as the only-slightly-less mis-shapen "PINOCCHIO!"
Fortunately, the next year ('56) we graduated to full costumes that
we ordered from a catalogue (see photo posted on p. 4), that
included plastic and muslin masks.

Now I'm sure you'll all have a HORRID HALLOWEEN!!
LR

PS-- Come to think of it, that Campbell Kid get-up looks kinda'
creepy too, with the mask on.

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 11/01/2011 17:12:12
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  02:28:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AS LONG AS I'M ON A ROLL......

From the same Halloween (1955), here's Mike's FULL PINOCCHIO
get-up that our mother had assembled; I think this pic was taken as
he was about to leave for his 1st-grade Halloween party at Jefferson
School. I'm apparently in the pic as a bored onlooker...though I do seem
to recall that the whole thing felt a little creepy to me.

Dig the cool FIESTA-WARE in the background.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 11/01/2011 17:13:44
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  07:50:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not so sure that the items in back are Fiestaware. We have been collecting this (the old)stuff for years and it doesn't look like it. I'll have to consult my collectable expert after she wakes up...Cj
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  10:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob
quote:
Originally posted by BobK

GE

Bob

Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  10:30:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ, I think you are correct. The dinnerware doesn't look not heavy (thick) enough to be the Fiestaware brand.
quote:
Originally posted by seejay2

I'm not so sure that the items in back are Fiestaware. We have been collecting this (the old)stuff for years and it doesn't look like it. I'll have to consult my collectable expert after she wakes up...Cj

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  13:06:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It might be Redwing or something. In fact, it might even be worth something, but it's not Homer Laughlin...Cj
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  14:59:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mommy always told us kiddies it was Fiestaware; the plates were quite thick, and in lots of funky 50's colors (the cream pitcher that you see was chartreuse---so I learned that word at a very early age). We never used the stuff that I can recall; I think it only came out for my mom's big BUNCO nights (!)

Who know? Maybe it was some kind of knock-off.

LR
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  16:06:29  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here ya go, better Buy It Now.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUGE-143pc-Vtg-ORIGINAL-50s-FIESTA-WARE-Genuine-RARE-/390183850899

Bob
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  17:11:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wull, it looks like I might stand corrected. I think I must have been comparing it with a later design.

quote:

Here ya go, better Buy It Now.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUGE-143pc-Vtg-ORIGINAL-50s-FIESTA-WARE-Genuine-RARE-/390183850899

Bob

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  17:27:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some Fiesta stuff was a bit oblong, but not square (except maybe the new stuff) like in your photo.
This is one of my Fiesta pride and joys--the Relish Tray. I think the cobalt pieces give Fiesta it's worth.

This might go for around $300 or so, depending on who you are dealing with. No chips, no cracks...Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 10/31/2011 17:31:48
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  22:08:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I'd really like to see youse guys come up with, is an original piece from The Great Orpheum Gravy Boat Riot!

Bill

Warren G. Harding Class of '63
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  23:37:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Bucko

What I'd really like to see youse guys come up with, is an original piece from The Great Orpheum Gravy Boat Riot!

Bill

Don't know about that but I'll be posting a picture of an item you might all remember!
HO! HO! HO!
LS
SCROLL DOWN
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
And here it is!
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V

Ever seen this item before? Hmmmm?

Edited by - Little Stevie on 10/31/2011 23:42:04
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  01:08:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While youse' guys are debating the fine points of crockery and soup bowls, here's something very special: it's the Hammond Times full-page spread from TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 1st, 1955---yes, FIFTY-SIX YEARS AGO TO THE DAY---the same montage that included the pic of Mrs. Klish and us guys on her front porch.

Check 'em out---the captions are minsicule and faded, but you might see someone you used to know!

The upper right pic (above) shows the 3 prize winners in the Woodmar Mall Halloween costume parade, which I remember being part of with Mike and his full Pinocchio get-up and me in my deformed Donald Duck mask. Can't imagine why I didn't win a prize.

The 3 hoods in the lower right pic (above) were participating in a window-painting competition of some sort at Woodmar Mall.

And here's the very bottom of the full page, with our now-famous pic in the lower right-hand corner.

THE ENTIRE SPREAD WAS TITLED: HOW REGION KIDS CELEBRATED HALLOWEEN". What you see above is my scan of a XEROX copy made from the microfilms of the Times which are stored at the Hammond Public Library-- so it's several generations removed from the original print, which wasn't very good to begin with. Interesting to find out that the Times facility does NOT maintain microfilm copies of their paper---only the Library has them.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 11/01/2011 01:09:11
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  07:26:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whatzit??
quote:
Originally posted by Little Stevie

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Bucko

Bill

Don't know about that but I'll be posting a picture of an item you might all remember!
HO! HO! HO!
LS
SCROLL DOWN
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
And here it is!
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V

Ever seen this item before? Hmmmm?

Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  09:33:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by seejay2

Whatzit??
quote:
Larry could tell you I don't like to just give the answers to trivia questions, sooo. . .
Hint #1:
It is related to this website.

Hint #2:
It is a home bar accessory

Hint #3:
Ralph Kramden would of loved to have one in his apartment, since it represents one of his favorite pastimes.

Hint #4:
True JS fans should recognise it!
I'll try to get a better picture later today. In the meantime

Here it is again!

LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 11/02/2011 02:16:09
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  09:38:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,
After looking at the full page spread, (which is very cool!) I'm disappointed that it seems you three are the only ones whose names were not given!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 11/01/2011 09:39:14
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  10:13:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In keeping with my current reputation of always being wrong, I would like to venture a guess. It looks like an old ice bucket to me. And since I'm almost assuredly wrong, How about a bowling trophy?
At least this time I made it clear that they were gusses. LOL tom w
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  11:48:28  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking it may hold cordial or shot glasses.

Back to the Halloween pictures; today it seems surprising that the paper would include addresses.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  15:06:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob you're right on track. So are you Tom.
It's a chrome, bowling ball shaped shot dispenser.
lift the top half by grabbing the man on the top and there are shot glasses with a pump in the middle to pour your favorite shot of alcohol!

The connection to this website?
If you watch "A Christmas Story", you'll see this same dispenser in the movie. It sits on top of the radio Ralphie listens to for his coded message!
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  15:08:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BOB---

You're right about the addresses; they took up enough space just listing everyone's name---everyone, that is,
EXCEPT THE RAPCHAKS and BEV KUSH! Steve-- thanks for pointing this out ot me. Who do I call at the
Times to complain? Do you think they'll print a "we regret the omission" (56 years later) if I give 'em hell about it?

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 11/01/2011 15:10:16
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  16:06:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YER DARN TOOTIN" you should complain!!! But wait . . . they did print your and Bev's name in the Sunday article. So. . . I guess the old saying still holds true:

"Better late than never!"
LS
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  21:13:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ratts...I wanted to give the answer before you told!
I knew EXACTLY what it was, because my dad had the very same one as "the old man" in the Christmas Story!!
In fact, this past summer, our family went to Cleveland and visited the Christmas Story House and they had one sitting atop the floor model Philco radio in Ralphie's living room.
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  22:55:52  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here it is.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  23:49:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here it is.

Bob

Yep! here it is! Thanx Bob!
Mine is a little pitted plus , God knows when it happened but . . . the bowler's arm with the ball. . . broke clean off at da elbow!

As Jerry Reed sang 'bout Amos. . . Amos Moses!
Never go alligator huntin' in da bayou!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 11/01/2011 23:51:51
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  02:30:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of Magoun Ave.....

Here's one of my all-time favorite family pics, taken on OCTOBER 12,
....my brother Mike's 12th birthday.

Mike was going nuts hoping to get his first TELESCOPE on this day. But instead,
my parents got him the "spin-off" of the popular model
kit The Visible Man called THE VISIBLE HEAD--- a lifesize, plastic
take-apart human head, with all the trimmings. Mike was really
bummed out.

That evening, our Uncle Bob (my mother's younger brother) stopped over for
cake and coffee. He was a very funny guy; here he's holding
the SKULL from the Visible Head, posing for the camera. I clearly
remember him (referring to the then-popular ladies' Home Permanent)
saying "WHICH ONE HAS THE TONI?" as my dad snapped this pic:

Mike is at the extreme left, looking unhappy. I'm next, with my mother and Philip checking out
the cake; Nancy practices her batting swing with a lightweight, yellow plastic bat.

Mike ultimately got his telescope that Christmas; he loved astronomy.
Uncle Bob was the same guy who sold my dad the shiny black '50 Chevy seen in the
photo elsewhere on this thread. My Uncle Bob seemed to lose a lot of his zany-ness after my
Grandma Ortman (his mother) died in June of '63. He later became rather withdrawn and very religious.
He and my Aunt Jean now live in Rensselear; the last time I saw them was at Mike's wake in January of 2010.

But 50 years ago, things were swingin'..just like Nancy's bat.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 11/04/2011 18:16:20
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  16:15:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HERE'S THE FOURTH (and final) in our series of Indy Blvd "THEN & NOW" photos.

First, the Purdue archive shot of Indy looking NORTH, taken from
down by the old VanTil's Supermarket building on the NE corner of 171st. You can see the
Jewel Food Store and the top-hat sign for a tuxedo shop on the right, and da' Region's
pizza champ "HOUSE OF PIZZA" on the left (still goin' strong!)

HERE'S THE SAME VIEW TODAY:

Steve, his sisters and I somehow unexpectedly found ourselves stumbling into H.O.P. for a delicious thin-crust pie right after
this pic was taken (Sept 24, 2011).

I believe Steve and his family have a long-standing association with House o' Pizza.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 11/05/2011 02:12:56
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  22:10:43  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
House of Pizza rules!
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  01:21:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tom J

House of Pizza rules!

It sure does! Larry is right! H.O.P. was our Saturday night dinner. My dad and I would walk across the street, cut through the Sandor's backyard, walk down the alley till we got to the backdoor of H.O.P. I don't get carry-out there too often now but I always park in back so's I can take in that aroma that's wafting through the air around the place!

Even picking up a pizza was dangerous for Little Stevie.
One summer,when I was 5 or 6, I remember my dad, being older and bigger, was a little ahead of me on the way home. As we crossed the "public" sidewalk just in front of our house, some kid on a bike was heading towards 169th street (north) right as I was getting ready to cross the walk. I stopped so he could go by but, wouldn't you know it, he swerved into me, clipping my bare leg with his front fender and kept on going. By the time my dad turned around to see what happened, this kid was long gone! Well, needless to say, I was laying on the ground, BLEEDING from the wound!
After a quick wash and a smearing of mercurochrome (remember that stuff?) Mom had me up and at the table for the pizza.
Seems my sisters ate what was to be my share, so they ordered another pizza, a small one, for me.
Some think this pizza is second best to Conde's in Hessville from the past and some other pizza place in Hessville. Well . . all I can say 'bout that is. . . of the three. . . who's still standing? I rest my case!

LS
Never tried the others!

Edited by - Little Stevie on 11/05/2011 01:33:36
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  01:43:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a picture from what I believe to be the day/week my family moved into 6920 Magoun. There isn't a date on the picture or page it is on.

L to R: Bev, Grandpa Surowiec, Mom, Carol, Dad. Cousin Joann is in front on the lower step
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  02:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE--

That pic is too cool.

You's guys moved in on Labor Day weekend, 1954, and us Rapchaks followed one
week later; it was then that your dad ran a big ol' extension cord out of your northwest basement window
over to our house so's we could have electricity that first weekend. Your dad is sportin' a pretty mean-looking
suntan in this pic, so he must have been working outside most of the summer.

The newly painted cedar shingles look DARKER than I ever remember them; your house was always a tan color,
as I recall. And I don't think I'm confusing it with the house' current color, which
is something quite....unique.

Hope you've found more oldies like this one.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 11/05/2011 02:18:27
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  12:05:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's more comin'! The tan might be left over from the California trip they took earlier.

Or the fishin' trip they took almost every year to Houghton Lake in Michigan.

Seems once Little Stevie showed up, all vacations seemed to cease. With the exception of the Dells trip. The one with the dinosaur pics.
Vacations after that were to Anderson, IN to see my Aunt Pat & Uncle Fred.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 11/05/2011 12:06:49
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  15:08:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, needless to say, I was laying on the ground, BLEEDING from the wound! After a quick wash and a smearing of mercurochrome (remember that stuff?)
Mom had me up and at the table for the pizza. Seems my sisters ate what was to be my share, so they ordered another pizza, a small one, for me.

STEVE---So Carol and Bev ate your portion of the pizza while you were lyin' in the gutter bleeding, eh?
Sounds like the abuse you received in your early Magoun Ave days didn't come from ONLY the Rapchaks!

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 11/05/2011 15:09:34
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  16:19:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE---So Carol and Bev ate your portion of the pizza while you were lyin' in the gutter bleeding, eh?
Sounds like the abuse you received in your early Magoun Ave days didn't come from ONLY the Rapchaks!

Larry
[/quote]

It was TERRIBLE! LARRY! TERRIBLE! It continued all through my life, you know.

When I was 11 or 12, on a church picnic, the priest even abused me:

The bishop's son (our priests could marry) lost his high school ring. They had all of us get on our hands & knees a crawl around the area that he lost it.

After a few minutes of crawling, guess who looks down, sees something shiny and yells "I FOUND IT!" to the masses.

Yep, none other than Little Stevie!

Well everyone cheers Little Stevie's heroics. Then the bishop's son comes over shaking, thanking Little Stevie for finding it.

He proceeds to pull a $5.00 bill out of his wallet and says "Here kid, take this. You don't know what it means to me to have it found."

As he's telling Little Stevie this, he's slowly lowering the bill into Little Stevie's outstretched hand.

Well, my eyes lit up! FIVE BUCKS! In those days! Heck, I was suddenly rich!

I looked over at my cousin Paul, who was "upset" he didn't find the ring, and kind of gave him a smirk.

Then. . . just as the bill was about to land in the palm of my hand, I heard a voice bellow out:

"HE doesn't want that five dollars!"

As I turned to see who was talking, I saw a hand come into view and steer the five dollars away from me.

"All he wants is three cheers for St. Michael's in East Chicago!"

I looked up and saw that it was our "new" priest, Father Ed Brzostowski!
He had come to our parish a year or so earlier.

He took the five bucks, gave it back to the bishop's son and started the
"HIP, HIP, HOORAY!" cheer in my honor.

Little Stevie looked on in disbelief as all around were cheering.
All, that is, except my cousin, Paul. He was doing all he could from peeing in his pants while rolling on the ground in laughter!

LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 11/10/2011 22:16:06
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  23:23:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ONE OF THE GREAT THINGS about growing up on Magoun in Woodmar was the fact that BARING PARKWAY was located a
block to the southwest of our homes. A few minutes' walk and we were in this beautiful park, surrounded on both sides
by some pretty classy-looking brick homes. The park, except for the old-style "vintage" lamp posts, is
essentially unchanged from the 50's.

East side of the parkway, looking toward 171st St ~

Same view, from further south ~

Baring Parkway still has the same sense of tranquillity that it
had when we were kids; it's almost like stepping back into the past.

LR
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  09:40:07  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The kids in my neighborhood had a place to play that we all called "The Field." I guess it was railroad property because it was located beside the Erie-Lackawana (old C&O) tracks. The Field was behind the houses on Cleveland Street at the north end of Woodward Avenue, my street. It continued to the southeast behind the houses on Crescent Place.

The Field is now the site of the playground for the new Maywood School. The houses on the east (or north) side of Crescent Place were torn down to make room for the school.

Even the RR tracks are gone.

Sad.

Tomster
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  11:48:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

ONE OF THE GREAT THINGS about growing up on Magoun in Woodmar was the fact that BARING PARKWAY was located a
block to the southwest of our homes. A few minutes' walk and we were in this beautiful park, surrounded on both sides
by some pretty classy-looking brick homes. The park, except for the old-style "vintage" lamp posts, is
essentially unchanged from the 50's.

Baring Parkway still has the same sense of tranquillity that it
had when we were kids; it's almost like stepping back into the past.

LR

Here's a link
describing the history of the Woodmar Neighborhood.
http://www.hammondindiana.com/history/woodmar.htm
Interesting to read that the 30's crash abruptly changed the plans for this area.
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  01:35:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE--

Interesting article. Let's point out that, of the SIX COLOR PICTURES
in the article of distinctive architecture in the Woodmar area, THREE of them:
#4, 5, and 6----are ALL ON MAGOUN AVE!

In fact, #5 - described as "Spanish eclectic style house" was the
former LUCAS family home on the SW corner of Magoun and 171st.

Here's a recent shot, from the side/garage-

A beautiful home that Mike and I were fascinated by. Pics #4 and 6 in the article
were on the next block south of us. I always liked #4 ("International style of design"), with its balconies
and brick-glass windows.

Of course, the Kush and Rapchak homes were built in 1954, cookie-cutter style. Nothing that would ever make
the historical register, but great places to grow up in!

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 12/30/2011 02:47:33
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  13:55:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

STEVE--
Of course, the Kush and Rapchak homes were built in 1954, cookie-cutter style. Nothing that would ever make
the historical register, but great places to grow up in!

Larry

LARRY! I beg to DIFFER!
Yes, they were great places to grow up in! But,those two houses were "homes" to some of the most fascinating humans to ever walk this planet! (just look in the mirror, like I do now and then!):

A common Machinist who had so many other talents and knowledge of other subjects, he might have been a college professor had he chosen that direction in his life!

A girl who has grown up to work in the entertainment industry in Chicago as a well known DJ, then to move on to the theater district of New York.
Who also did more than her share of volunteer work during thee most trying time in our country's history!

A girl who became a director at the EPA. Oversaw hazardous waste cleanups in the Midwest. Trained in a NASA moon suit for the tasks!

A boy who has produced some of the most entertaining and informational videos on "YouTube" who also commands one of the most prestigious orchestras in the country!

A girl who still. . . .50 some years later. . . still loves to take dance lessons!

And, of course, a boy. . . who. . . despite all the abuse put upon him by "Friends & Neighbors", sisters, priests and others,
took all he learned from those experiences and put them to good use in thirty years of sales for one of the combatants in the "Cola Wars" of the eighties!
(I was a hired gun and kicked ass in it I might add!)

Why, if they were just "plain old, run-of the-mill" type dwellings, their existence would have never made it to be the subject of a thread on this here website!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 11/10/2011 22:11:19
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  19:54:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are so right, Lil Stevie---the size and the layout of a house does not make a home. It is the lives lived in a structure and the relationships that make great characters----like you and Larry. I mean, real characters who are delightful in your rapport as you share your memories through
pictures, videos, and words. Thanks to you both. You will go down in history
as the Magounites of sheptalk who, in their dotage lived in their own memories, if not in anyone else's..... Know that I do appreciate your banter....

Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  22:10:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by S C Jones

You are so right, Lil Stevie---the size and the layout of a house does not make a home. It is the lives lived in a structure and the relationships that make great characters----like you and Larry. I mean, real characters who are delightful in your rapport as you share your memories through
pictures, videos, and words. Thanks to you both. You will go down in history
as the Magounites of sheptalk who, in their dotage lived in their own memories, if not in anyone else's..... Know that I do appreciate your banter....

S C,
Here's where I take a bow!
THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

More Magoun Ave. Memories to come.

LS
PS (don't tell Larry. . . but he is a genius!)
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  03:20:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE--

Man, that was beautiful...just great.

Larry

(But I was commenting on the actual..ummmm... architecture of our homes; no attempt
to shortchange da' brilliance of da' occupants was intended or implied).

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 11/11/2011 19:11:50
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  22:12:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

STEVE--

Man, that was beautiful...just great.

Larry

(But I was commenting on the actual..ummmm... architecture of our homes; no attempt
to shortchange da' brilliance of da' occupants was intended or implied

]True Larry,
But had it not been for the architecture of one certain closet and a young girl's fascination with the light bulb in it, I never would have been the "Don Juan" I was at such an early age!
Besides, once the world realizes "Who" lived in those dwellings, the masses will clamor for them to be included on the National Registry list!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 11/11/2011 22:14:41
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  00:10:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve--

How very true.

In the meantime, now that the cold air of Autumn is upon us, here's another cool pic from the family album,
from October 1957. Mike on his bike, with little dorky-boy in his leather hat in the background;
all that's missing is the creepy rubber Donald Duck mask (see photo above--when the winter coat
fit me a little better).

A few things to check out:

• our cool dark blue '56 Chevy w/visor
  • the plastic grey camera hanging from the bike handlebars that Mike used to
    take some of the great pics posted on this thread
  • If you look closely in the background by Mike's ear, you can see the rear side of
    the "L-L-Y-'S" of the Kelly's Drive-In letters on Indy Blvd

The bike was eventually handed down to me, and I rode it through the
summer of 1963, when it made me the laughing stock of Hessville.
Not sure why, at age 8, Mike still had training wheels on the thing.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 11/12/2011 15:29:21
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  05:54:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A thousand pardons, excellency. What year chariot awaits??? Tom W
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page