Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  19:28:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry! I love those hats/berets you and Mike wore!
I'm guessing you'd do ANYTHING Mike asked of you in those days.

And the babushka Nancy wore on her head!
Much too young to be wearin' one of those!

Isn't it something, that no matter whose old albums/films you look at from those days, all the grandparents could almost be interchangeable! They all had that old world look to them.

I'm still searchin' for more pictures for this forum.

Maybe I'll figger out a way to post some old movies to youtube from back then.
LS
Yer Favorite Pepsi Guy

Yep . . . I did read "this post" and isn't it bout time to post the "garage story"?

Edited by - Little Stevie on 10/13/2011 19:35:28
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2011 :  01:56:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RE: The Autumn, 1960 You-Tube video I posted a few days ago--

Below you'll see the two guys who owned the old Michiana Produce mart that was at the foot of the 9-Span Bridge on Indy Blvd (north end) that is now a swimming pool shop.

I LOVE those old, open-air produce produce stands; they provided a real connection to the former open, farm-based culture that was a big part of da' Region's southern boundary; Highland, Schererville, St John, Cedar Lake. My favorite was Janssen's across from Wicker Park on Ridge Road....totally plowed under about 20 years ago, without a trace. I know that the town fathers in upscale Munster considered it an eyesore.

ANYWAY---THESE TWO PHOTOS WERE TAKEN less than TWO WEEKS after the 8mm film scene on the Autumn video; if you haven't done so, check it out, and you'll see these two gentlemen in full color.

Here's the link to the video:

http://youtu.be/ACUv41SFS4E

This was Max, definitely the gruff, no-nonsense businessman, with Mike and me:

And this is Maurice or "Morris", the funny, friendlier guy, who poses with a pumpkin on his head with Nancy in the film.

These pics taken on Friday night, October 28, 1960.
Later that night, Mike and I watched the Twilight Zone, the network premiere of this really dumb episode
called "A Thing About Machines" with actor Richard Haydn as a guy who hates all things mechanical.

STEVE--oh, yeah...the garage story. We've given it such a long, drawn-out buildup that it's bound to fall flat. Soon, though.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 10/31/2011 04:11:11
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2011 :  04:41:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as you mentioned Jansen's and Ridge Rd, Does anyone know about the mansion that was built by the guy that owned Calumet National Bank? Is it still there? Last I remember, I was in behind it breaking ground for a subdivision thru a beautiful soybean field. Even though I was an apprentice then, I remember feeling guilt for destroying that beautiful field although we relocated several underground wasp nests too. Tom

Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2011 :  06:27:31  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.dupontcastle.com/castles/meyers.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meyer's_Castle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_E._Meyer

http://www.meyerscastle.com/

Bob
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2011 :  20:25:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob Tom
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2011 :  20:38:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
REMEMBER that brand-new, shiny 1960 copper-colored
CHEVY wagon in the 1960 Autumn home movie (in my previous post?)

HERE'S the ORIGINAL INVOICE:

LR
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2011 :  00:09:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, were you talking about the above mentioned Meyers castle in Dyer? Or one in Munster? Colonel Riley's home was a castle of sorts, in Munster. I believe he owned the First National Bank in East Chicago. Interesting side fact to Meyer's Castle. It is built on the last remaining dune of the old Glenwood Shoreline of Lake Michigan which was formed 14,000 to 15,000 years ago. There were dunes as high and higher running east & west in a horseshoe shape around the lake until the late 1800's & early 1900's when settlers and farmers removed the dunes for sale and fill of the lowlands around them. A very interesting book on the subject:
Calumet Beginnings by Kenneth Schoon. It can be found at the visitor's center off of I94 and Cline? or Kennedy. Check it out sometime.
LS
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2011 :  10:15:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HassoBenSoba

REMEMBER that brand-new, shiny 1960 copper-colored
CHEVY wagon in the 1960 Autumn home movie (in my previous post?)
LR

Do you think anyone ever bought a car without the "option" oil filter?--My first new car was a 1965 VW bug and it cost $1974. SC

Edited by - S C Jones on 10/15/2011 10:15:56
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2011 :  11:55:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, SC!! I saw that too and wondered where I missed something over the last 60 years. Look at all the money I could have saved by not ever having to monkey with an oil filter.
I just bought a new Sienna minivan last week. It was over 30K, but it comes with an oil filter...Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 10/15/2011 11:57:42
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2011 :  12:41:39  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by seejay2

Thank you, SC!! I saw that too and wondered where I missed something over the last 60 years. Look at all the money I could have saved by not ever having to monkey with an oil filter.
I just bought a new Sienna minivan last week. It was over 30K, but it comes with an oil filter...Cj

Those cars like you just bought are pretty rare, Chris. You hardly ever sienna on the road. :)
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2011 :  14:59:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my early driving years, I had a couple of VW Beetles without the "OPTIONAL" heater.

Then in 1972 as I was going back to college, my dad bought me a '67 Buick Special V-6 (stick) that would still be
goin' strong today if some jerk hadn't been speeding on an icy street and slammed into me (in'79).
My dad had paid $500 for the Buick, the best car deal I've ever heard of.

LR

PS. I think the oil filter on the '60 Chevy invoice would be considered an "accessory".

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 10/15/2011 17:31:40
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2011 :  16:44:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

LR

PS. I think the oil filter on the '60 Chevy invoice would be considered an "accessory".
[/quote]

Larry, I suppose the oil filter does fit the definition--especially the useful part.
Accessory: 1 a thing that can be added to something else in order to make it more useful, versatile, or attractive

I am wondering (and thinking that it is so) if there was a time that cars did not
have an oil filter????
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2011 :  19:05:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I had a '49 Ford with a flathead 6 engine and it had an oil filter. I gave $50 (in a cloth bag full of change) for that car.
I don't think you can call an oil filter (or kidneys) an accessory.
Your machine will not function too well for too long if these accessories are turned down...Cj
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2011 :  22:20:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Come to think of it, that's a pretty expensive oil filter
in 1960 dollars--- $9.15! The car itself only cost $2,800.

LR
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2011 :  21:53:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HERE's ANOTHER classic shot from the Purdue Archives;
it's the NE corner of Indy Blvd and 169th Street, Christmas time, probably 1958.
This was an everyday site for the those of us on Magoun in Woodmar:

AND HERE IT IS, as seen on Sept. 24, 2011

Steve, his sisters, and I actually had a print-out of each of these old photos with us when we
took the new shots, so's we could line up the shot as closely as possible with the old one.
How's THAT for historical accuracy?

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 10/18/2011 01:02:38
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2011 :  21:09:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I received my "Flashy" flashlight made by Ash Flash. It's the same as the one my grandmother gave me back in the mid sixties.

[b]The red dome would flash on & off. The beam below was quite bright.

Why do I bring this up?

Well there is an interesting story connected to this flashlight, an incident that took place on Magoun. Probably the 2nd most negative memory I have about living on Magoun.

One night after visiting my grandparents, my dad & I went to open the garage door to put the car away. No automatic openers back then, you know. Well, my dad notices that our front fence gate was open and tells me to go and close it. As I swung it shut, I noticed a couple of guys walking across the street. It was dark already and I had my "Flashy" with me and had it on. As I pointed it towards these two guys, with the red light flashing, they look at me the take off running up the alleyway across the street by the apartment buildings. I didn't think anything of it until I reached the back door with my dad who noticed that the window was broke and the door open.

As we entered the kitchen, we can see that every drawer and cabinet door was open.

"We've been robbed" my dad tells me and my mother. She worries that "they" might still be in the house. . . maybe the basement. . . or in one of the bedrooms!

Dad checks the upstairs: the living room, bathroom and bedrooms. All the drawers were open in all the dressers, the door open in the medicine cabinet. "I'll check the basement" Dad says. I follow him to the stairs with my 28in H&B baseball bat, shaking all the way!
No one is downstairs. When the police arrive, I remember the two guys I'd seen. The detective notes my story and starts to inspect the house. He can't believe the mess that was there. When he looks into my bedroom, he exclaims "Oh My God!" seeing the mess in there!

Well . . . my mom, who has been nervous until now, starts to SMiLE, trying to hold back her laughter.

You see, the burglars hadn't even entered my room. It was just a mess from the way I kept it. Every now and then, Mom would clean it up, put things in their place and pray I'd keep it that way, which I never did. Clothes, toys, things were always all over the floor, bed, in the closet where I kissed Nancy, just a mess everywhere!

After she told the detective that they weren't in my room, he said "It's a shame they didn't enter the house through this bedroom window. One look around and they would have left." he said. "Would've thought someone else beat them to it!"

That night, I slept with that bat.

LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 10/18/2011 17:15:44
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2011 :  01:43:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve--

So here I am bragging about "historical accuracy" in our THEN and NOW photos, and I can't even get the damned CORNER of the intersection right! Yer' right---it's the NORTHEAST corner of Indy and 169th. I've changed it in my post, so you may want to delete your correction to avoid even more confusion.

So lil' "FLASHY" came to the rescue, eh? Around what year would that have been? Sad to think that good old Magoun in Woodmar experienced break-ins back then; were the punks ever caught? Wonder what they'd think of 6920 today?
----------------------------------------------------------------
Oh yes...the apartments across the street from us on Magoun and the long-awaited story we've been dying to tell here on Sheptalk (certain to be anti-climatic). These were the apartments directly across from my house (check the pics and home-movies on this thread above), and right in back of KELLY'S Drive In; the tenants where mostly genteel retired folks.

So gather 'round, Sheptalk readers--pull up a chair, grab a hot cup of java, and prepare yourself for a real nail-biter!

One night in August of 1960, Mike and I were lying awake in the dark, in the SE bedroom of our house, positioned in such a way that we could look out the window into the clear, starry night sky. This was that second weekend in August, when the big meteor showers are supposed to be at their peak. My parents were out on the town for the evening, so our grandmother from across the street was sittin' with us.

"HEY---did you see that shooting star?"! Yeah, that was cool".
And on it went into the night, as we tried to stay awake and NOT
blink for fear of missing one of them-there brilliant, streaking meteors.

Suddenly we hear this TERRIFIC CRASH...a BANG that made us practically JUMP up out of the sack! Our surprise soon turned to excitement--"Hey, what if that was a METEOR that CRASHED across the street!!? We were scared and thrilled at the thought of it, since it sounded as if it had barely missed our house---I mean, the crash was REALLY loud, so the thing HAD to have landed very close by! Maybe it was a SHIP of some sort, and we were about to witness the first real "close encounter" in recorded history! Man, our young imaginations were running WILD with excitement!! We dashed into the living room, where our grandmother told us to calm down and not let things get out of hand. "But Grandma, maybe we're being INVADED by space monsters!! THEY MIGHT BE RIGHT OUTSIDE OUR FRONT DOOR!!

TO BE CONTINUED

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 10/31/2011 04:13:10
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2011 :  17:31:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Larry, don't worry bout a minor typing error! We all make 'em.

The break-in had to be in between '65--'67. I think we already had purchased our '66 Dodge Belvedere that was fire engine red. (more on that later too!) I'll get the date narrowed down tonight when I see Carolyn. Having dinner with her and a cousin of ours @ Freddy's on 165th & Kennedy. Your old, but not oldest, stomping grounds!

Anyway, no, I don't think they ever found the guys who did it. I don't remember if anything was actually stolen either. Maybe some cash that might have been laying around.

I've got to correct a part of the story though. The guys did go in my bedroom, in the famous closet, we kept our movies in a strongbox type case. They had brought it out into my room and opened it. Since there was nothing of value to them, just movie reels, they left it there.

That was all they did in Little Stevie's bedroom. I'm sure they had a tough time getting to the closet since the floor was covered with toys, clothes and who knows what else. That's why my mother thought the detective's comment was so funny.
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2011 :  19:19:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE---

Regarding my shooting-star saga
;--I think you should finish it.
After the big build-up with meteors, crashed space-ships, aliens
on our doorstep, Grandma trying to save us from the invasion....
I'm too embarassed to go on. (Actually, you and your sisters know
as much or more about the facts than I do).

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 10/21/2011 20:09:56
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2011 :  00:01:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HassoBenSoba

STEVE---

Regarding my shooting-star saga
;--I think you should finish it.
After the big build-up with meteors, crashed space-ships, aliens
on our doorstep, Grandma trying to save us from the invasion....
I'm too embarrassed to go on. (Actually, you and your sisters know
as much or more about the facts than I do).

Larry

Ok . . . I'll give it my best shot.

Well, in August of 1960, Little Stevie was just 5 & 1/2 years old. (You know how important that half year was when we were younger!) I didn't know anything about meteors, aliens or space monsters then but I do remember the incident Larry's talking about. Yes, there was a loud crash! I'm sure the Rapchak boys thought a meteor or spaceship crashed across the street cause almost immediately, neighbors came running out of their homes. I believe this was late, 11 PM or so.

(After hearing the rest of this story, I'm guessing it might have been even later, but too much later and Little Stevie would have been asleep!)

Back to our story, everyone was heading for the alleyway next to the apartments across from the Rapchak home. I remember looking towards the garage with my parents at the destruction! Was it a spaceship?
I couldn't tell cause all I could see was the back end of the apartment complex owner's Cadillac (green & white, I believe) sticking out of the garage.

Once we got close enough to view what had happened, we could see into the garage. I was amazed that now you could see through the front wall of the garage too.

What I didn't understand, at that age, was. . . why did. . . I think the owner's name was Stanley. . . why did his car have bricks all over the hood and roof? I remember Mom telling me that . . . well. . . Stanley must have been sick or something and he forgot to stop when he put the car in the garage.

There was Stan, being helped out of the car by my dad and other neighbors. To me, he looked kinda woozy, but I guessed that's how you'd feel after hitting a brick wall with your car.

After all, I had been jolted forward a couple of times in my own Mark V pedal car when Nancy would hit me with hers.

(See picture below)

Or if I ran it into a tree. So I didn't think much about it. . . that Stan hit the wall of his own garage.

Later in life, I found out that Stan had self medicated himself that evening, probably at Old Glory Tavern on Indianapolis Blvd.

I guess after he got out and opened the garage door, he climbed back in the Caddy and gunned it. Gunned it right through the front wall.

Then he put it in reverse and backed the car out leaving the hole. Guess he thought he could reverse the damage or travel back in time a couple of minutes to try to undo the event.

So . . . no meteor crashing in the 'hood. No spaceship with aliens invading. Just the old guy Stash. . . coming home from a night on the town.

Funny thing is . . a couple of years later. . . . he did it again.

Just another Magoun Ave. Memory!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 10/19/2011 00:16:41
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2011 :  01:08:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE--

Thanks for delivering the big wrap-up to the story. Now that
you mention it, I remember Mike and I looking out the bedroom window
over towards the apartment garage (which was directly in back of Kelly's Drive-In)
and seeing the smoke rising into the night sky! That's when we started in with all
of the space-ship/alien nonsense.

But that's pretty much par for the course---for Magoun Ave,
anyway. Our first extraterrestrial visitor turns out to be old Stash who got
hammered and crashed his shiny new caddy through his garage wall,
and probably ruined a good cigar in the process. (He could have
walked the one block north to the Old Glory Tavern!)

I tell ya'...it's enough to make anyone skeptical about life on other planets.

By the way, I think both Mike and I had our own pedal cars in the
early years on Magoun; I might have a photo somewhere that I'll look for.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 10/21/2011 00:03:58
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2011 :  12:46:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,

Speaking of meteors and spaceships, I do have memories of going out with the family and looking into the night sky for "Sputnik" the first artificial satellite launched by those "good fer nuthin' Commies". That was in 1960, I believe. Man! I wished I had known that Mike was into astronomy! It's been one of my hobbies for a long time! I remember while I was shoveling the alley in '67, after the big snow, I happened to look up towards the southwestern sky and saw a meteor streak across it from south to west. It was the first I'd seen! Years earlier, Charlie Sandor, whose two girls are in your video, called Rod Hlad and myself over to his back yard. Charlie was a surveyor for the Hammond water department. He had set up his transit (correct term?) for us to get a look at the moon in daylight. That was my first view through any type of telescope. . . and I was hooked.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 10/19/2011 12:48:53
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2011 :  08:26:39  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Larry and Little Stevie, thanks so much, I'm really enjoying your stories.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2011 :  20:06:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BobK

Larry and Little Stevie, thanks so much, I'm really enjoying your stories.

Bob

That's why we started this thread Bob!
I'm sure life was about the same anywhere in mid-America in the late 50's/early 60's. It sure seems like it was a most innocent time for all.

However, life on Magoun Ave. just seems extra special to all who spent some of, or most of, their childhood growing up there.

I know Larry will agree!

I was fortunate enough to spend the first 25 years of my life living there. The first 13 with the whole family. Then in Febuary of '68, my oldest sister got married and moved to Greenbriar Apts. in Hessville with her husband.

Then in May, May 2nd to be exact, after a 5 year battle, at the young age of 48, we lost my father to cancer. That was the most negative experenice growing up on Magoun for me.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 10/20/2011 20:07:46
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2011 :  23:07:34  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, we all had our neighborhoods. The first house I can remember was at 6234 Calumet Ave just south of the old Wallace School. I'm not exactly how old I was when my mother moved us in with her parents when my dad went off to war. I think I was 5 or 6 when we moved from there when my dad returned and my grandfather died to 444 Highland St just off of Harrison. Then at age 10 we moved to 3950 Torrence on the north side and I lived there until I went in to the Army at age 21. I married while in the Army in 65 8 months before discharge. She was a classmate at HHS and lived somewhat in the neighborhood. We rented a back house behind her parents house where we had our two children before moving to Highland in 70. After our kids moved out we moved to our current home in unincorporated Porter County in 90. Our son and his family live in St john and our daughter and her family live in Palos Hills, IL. I have two brothers. I was #1 and #2 was born 7 years later at the Highland St address and #3 was another 7 years later at the Torrence address. Because of all those years apart we weren't that close like our kids who are only 2 years apart.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2011 :  14:17:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Bob, I also reside in St. John. My wife and I have been here for 28 years. Our 2 sons have only known 1 home growing up. Our oldest, Mike lived in Indy for a few years but lives at home while working in Chicago.
LS
Go to Top of Page

linbu

27 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2011 :  18:13:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't it so much nicer living in one home your whole childhood? I wonder how many did? I lived at 7026 California from the day I was brought home from St. Margaret's until I left at 18. I often wished my parents would move. Maybe I would have more friends in another school, maybe be more popular, lol. I went to Morton from kindergarten all the way through.
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2011 :  18:25:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Stevie; Me too!!! Is my ex next door neighbor Ralphie Keilman still around? His gas station was across the street from me and my ex and kids. Have you eaten at Freddies in Hessville for long? I need to fins someone that useta work there. I also went to Irving in Hammond with Bob and Tsofred who takes 2 1/2 years to answer a post!!! LOL Fred, Tom (W)
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2011 :  20:18:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE---

Since our shooting star/space-alien/cadillac-through-the-
garage-wall story brought back the toy pedal-car topic,here's a photo from late '54 of Mike
and me in our basement at 6912 Magoun with our own cars. I
barely remember these (we got them while we were still living on Hoffmann St. in North Hammond).

We look deliriously happy here--maybe even crazed---probably
in anticipation of getting back outside in the spring to
terrorize the neighborhood.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 10/21/2011 20:23:53
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2011 :  21:22:10  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had a pedal car that was a firetruck. I LOVED that thing!

Edited by - Tom J on 10/29/2011 17:01:56
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2011 :  22:15:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by linbu

Isn't it so much nicer living in one home your whole childhood? I wonder how many did? I lived at 7026 California from the day I was brought home from St. Margaret's until I left at 18. I often wished my parents would move. Maybe I would have more friends in another school, maybe be more popular, lol. I went to Morton from kindergarten all the way through.

I guess it's hard to say. Since we haven't experienced living anywhere else, I can't comment on it.

I did move out of our house on Magoun in 1980, had an apartment in Munster, five minutes from work. I lived there for a little less than 3 years before my wife and I moved to our present home here in St. John. I've lived here longer than the time I lived on Magoun. Sure doesn't seem that way though. Seems like I lived there for an eternity compared to living here. Seems like only a few years here in St. John. Guess time really does fly as you age.

Larry,
Those are great looking cars! I noticed though, while looking at the expression on the horse between youse guys, I'm wondering if the horse overheard Mike talking about "Draw & Quartering" him!

Tom W,
Yeah, I believe Ralph is still around. I haven't seen him in a while though. I knew him when he worked for the town. If it's the guy I'm thinking of. Which gas station are you talking about?

We hadn't eaten at Freddy's for quite a while before Tuesday. We had a nice time reminiscing with my cousin Joann (pictured in the basement photo earlier in this thread). I hadn't been there in 15 - 20 years.

LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 10/22/2011 01:17:54
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2011 :  08:24:42  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, Bob. This site doesn't have the feature that allows you to upload pictures directly from you computer. You will need to have them hosted somewhere like Photobucket where they allow "hot links."

If you need any help, let me know. I think I might have posted instructions somewhere in Sheptalk on how to do that. If I haven't, I need to make such a post.

Tom

P.S.

I just found the thread where I posted instructions on how to make pictures show up in our messages and I bumped it back to the top to make it easy to find.

Edited by - Tom J on 10/22/2011 08:30:37
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2011 :  11:18:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BobK

Well, I'm trying to post a picture of my peddle car using the Insert Image button and the URL from Photobucket and it's not working for me. HELP!

Bob

Bob, I just "copy" the "url" from under the selected picture then come here and "paste" it where I want the picture to go.
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  21:39:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Li'l Stevie and I have a special Halloween-related treat for later in the week; right now, here's another oldie:
HALLOWEEN NIGHT, 1956--
Mike and I on our front porch (just six weeks after my 1st-day-of-school shot posted on the Jefferson School thread),
modeling our new skeleton and black cat costumes; I can still smell that muslin/net mask that Mike wore.

A magical time.

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 10/27/2011 00:45:34
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  00:41:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HERE'S a photo from Halloween night, 1959.

Mike was "Satellite Joe", and I was SATAN himself! Nancy had inherited my Black Cat
duds, but the mask obviously didn't fit her too well. I remember Mike was miffed when we got this pic developed;
notice how he tilted the "helmet"/mask up on his head---he did this so that his eyes wouldn't show through the clear
opening, making him look more "alien". But his eyebrows and bangs were now visible, totally blowing the effect.

FYI---Steve Kush and I have a VERY SPECIAL HALLOWEEN FEATURE to
share, which I plan on posting Thursday evening. I think everyone will enjoy it.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 10/27/2011 00:43:41
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  14:15:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry and Stevie---The anticipation of what's to come is making the prospect
of Halloween 2011 VEwY SCAwRY!

Edited by - S C Jones on 10/27/2011 14:18:20
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  16:15:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SC--

It's actually a very genteel, sentimental sort of thing.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  23:43:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CHECK IT OUT:

On Halloween night, 1955, my brother Mike, Bev Kush, and
me (Little Stevie was really little at the time), were
trick-or-treating on the porch of Mrs. Joseph Klish (a few doors down from us on Magoun) when a
Hammond Times photographer walked up and snapped this picture, which appeared the very next day
in the paper (November 1, 1955):

On September 24, 2011, Bev, me, and the delightful, spry, 93-year old Mrs. Klish
(whom none of us had seen in years) met in the exact same spot, almost 56 years later:

Photographed by Lil' Steve himself.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 10/27/2011 23:47:57
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2011 :  08:55:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Larry.
Go to Top of Page

TestPattern

48 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2011 :  10:25:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tom w

As long as you mentioned Jansen's and Ridge Rd

While trolling around the web, I found this photo of Jansen's:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=469579419884&set=pu.328921084884&type=1&theater
on the Highland Historical Society Facebook page.
Go to Top of Page

TestPattern

48 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2011 :  11:48:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Little Stevie

I don't know if Larry will remember this item - It's a surrey that you pedaled from the back seat while others could ride in the front.

What a memory to see that old pedal surrey.

Probably in the early 1960s the Hessville Department Store had some promotion and a drawing, maybe for a store anniversary celebration. The prizes were a surrey "with fringe on top" plus 4 hours of trampoline time at the trampoline center on the southeast corner of Kennedy and 167th Street. Parents submitted their kids names for the drawing. Well, my name was pulled and I won the drawing.

After a week or so of giving rides to neighborhood kids, interest in the surrey rides waned. A 10 year old boy pedaling around in a 4-seater surrey by himself did not garner much respect on my block. I had enough of the surrey, and my parents sold it to a family who lived over on Alabama north of OLPH. They had a daughter named Carol - the last name escapes me.

As I recall, the surrey I won was more elaborate than the previous photo shown by Little Stevie. I'm sure there were photos taken by my parents, unfortunately now lost over the many years.

However, I was able to enjoy the trampoline time. I think they had 20 or 30 minute sessions, and so I was there about eight or ten times, quite a unique gift not otherwise affordable.

I think the trampoline center was open only a few years. Probably, with high insurance costs and diminishing patronage, it closed, was vacant for quite a while, and then the land sold to a used car dealer.
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2011 :  15:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to see those pictures from Halloween Larry! It'll be 56 years to the DAY! Seems there should be more to this story, don'tja think? Well. . . maybe if we concentrate, who knows what "fame" these pictures could generate!
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2011 :  18:52:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE--

You may be referring to the fact that the current version of the TIMES was very interested in this story, and should be running it tomorrow (SUNDAY, October 30th) as an entertainment feature. We'll see how it turns out.

Actually, I never knew Mrs Klish or her late husband; other than standing on their porch once a year on Halloween night, I don't
recall ever having spoken with them. You's guys in the Kush family, on the other hand, knew them fairly well, right? At least your parents did.

I think our fellow Sheptalk readers will be interested to know that both MY family (Rapchak) and YOURS (Kush) each held onto and preserved our own yellowed copies of the Times picture since 11/1/55 when we cut it out of that day's edition of the paper. Last month, Steve, his two sisters, and I all met in the 'hood (on Magoun Ave) to do some reminiscing, picture-taking, and pizza eating. We stopped across the street to talk with guy who now lives in the Hlad's old house, and HE told us that Mrs. Klish was still living in her original 1952 home, still alert and active. So the four of us decided to march up to her door and knock; what followed was one of the nicest 45 minutes I've spent in a long time, as she invited us in, then sat with us and chatted about her life and her own "Magoun Avenue Memories". She's still sharp as a tack!

When I asked her "do you remember that Halloween picture out on your porch in '55 that was printed in the Hammond Times?..." she quickly excused herself, walked into another room, and within 10 seconds returned with HER old, yellowed copy of the photo, which she has kept under the glass on her bedroom dresser fo the past 56 years!

After that, it was only fitting that we asked if she wouldn't mind re-creating the famous photo with us on her front porch. Of the "original cast", only big brother Mike was not around for the event..at least not in person.

Quite a day.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 10/29/2011 18:59:07
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2011 :  23:08:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, the Klish's were very nice people (Mrs. Klish still is!). The thing that we all remembered as kids was that they both were named "Joe" Joseph and Josephine. Of course, we never called her "Josephine". Always "Mrs. Klish" as we still do to this day! It was weird cause I remember calling The Bedas by their first names, Pete & Eve, but never any of the other neighbors!

I didn't call your mother "May" until I met her in the parking lot at her condo location a few years ago. (Which reminds me, I never explained the nickname "Little Stevie" on here as promised! That story sooon to come!)

They never had any children but always treated us well. We should have realised that her mailbox was still the original one from 1955! We coulda included it in the pictures!

Joe didn't mind if we went on his grass after an errant baseball or if Little Stevie was struggling with his big sister's bike and ran onto his yard. If that bike had a bar across it, I'd never been able to ride it! The handlebars were at ear level or higher when I would be pedaling!

They had a dog but I don't remember it. I thought I stated earlier that it always seemed to me that Joe was more of "pal" to Cy Beda than any of us other kids in the 'hood. Maybe cause Cy was the only boy in the 'hood with a dog.

Mrs. Klish was always good to us but we never really talked to them. Maybe, since they didn't have any kids, we just left them alone.

I think after Larry's family moved or when the Hlad's moved, Mrs. Klish was invited to join the "Magoun Ave. Bunco Squad". . .errr Club, Bunco club, that the women had formed some time in the late fifties. That was a once a month get together for the ladies of Magoun to gather and play "Bunco". It was also a night, as you stated, for the menfolk to get out of the house, if possible!

Of all the nights I would have to stay/play in the basement while the "games" were going on upstairs, I'll never forget the loud hearty laugh of Mrs. Sandor! Lorriane definitely enjoyed life! She was always in a good mood! I met Lynn Sandor a few times lately on her return to the 'hood to visit her dad, who is in a nursing home, and her sister, Claudia, who still lives in the house on Magoun.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 10/29/2011 23:28:55
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2011 :  23:53:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE--

Yeah, that reminds me---when you took the picture last month with us
on the porch with Mrs. Klish, why the heck didn't ya tell me to duck down
a bit so's we could all see the MAILBOX in back of me? She still has the original mailbox
that is visible in the old '55 Times photo.

So I'll bail you out; here's the mailbox, photographed last week
when I went back to chat with Mr. Klish, along with the '55 pic for comparison.

While we're at it, why don't you relate the story here of Mrs. Klish's WWII experience that she told us about?

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 10/30/2011 03:19:33
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2011 :  02:33:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, I'd love to however. . .this is the link to go to:

http://www.nwitimes.com/

Scroll down the page to the "Entertainment" section. It has a purple stripe across it. There you can click on a very secial story about a fifty year Halloween Reunion on Magoun Ave.!

A very nice article!

Edited by - Little Stevie on 10/30/2011 02:34:06
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2011 :  06:53:52  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2011 :  08:38:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for that picture and story--and kudos for getting the press.

I'm wondering if maybe for next Halloween, Beverly's kids or grandkids
(sorry, if she isn't a grandmother yet) might have their pictures taken in the very same spot with Mrs. Klish at the door.

I mean progress is our most important product, right---Now that that phrase came out, whose slogan was it?

You guys on Sheptalk are a class act!
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2011 :  10:44:02  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
GE

Bob
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2011 :  14:28:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the article turned out well, and I hope Mrs Klish is thrilled with it. She doesn't get the Times any longer (it's that tiny print, she told us), but I stopped by a week ago Friday to let her know her story would appear in today's edition. I'm sure her phone is ringin'
off the hook!

Sitting and talking with her---in the very same house she's lived in for decades---and a few doors away from where we all spent our golden
childhood years, was an exciting and moving event. One of the highlights was her telling us about her Word War II experience, as an assembly-line worker in a military TANK factory in Hegewisch. She told us that the facility had a big yard/testing area out in back that they would hose down to create layers of MUD. The newly-built tanks would then be run through the mud to test the treads for mobility...AFTER which Mr. Klish and her fellow workers would hose down the treads to remove the mud. She also related how they would paint the interior compartment of each tank: a (male) worker would spray paint the entire interior WHITE, after which the ladies would paint all of the controls, lettering, etc RED by hand.

The work was pretty grueling-- 7 days a week, pretty much non-stop. I guess her husband was not in the service, but worked at Inland. They rarely saw each other, even at home, during this period (Steve..correct me if I've mis-remembered any of this).

But Mrs Klish is one of those great gals who kept the country running in high gear all those years ago...and I'm very glad and honored to have had a chance to meet-up with her again 56 years after that photo was snapped on her porch back in '55.

Larry
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page