Page: of 18

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  12:26:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by duane

... And I believe the answer to "Pan z Wami" is "Iz duchem twoim"

Absolutely correct. As final proof that I grew up among Polacks: I remember old Mr. Apolski, from two doors down, spitting tobacco juice and saying "Psia krev"!

Bill

Warren G. Harding Class of '63
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  15:39:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey..

Why don't yous' guys try speaking english around here?! (or at least translate for us all)...

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 10/03/2011 03:14:46
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  15:51:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by BobK

"Why in the world they thought the kiddies would want to ride a merry-go-round in the dead of winter is beyond me---but I know of two brothers (pictured here) that were goofy enough to do it."
==============================
Larry, you and your brother don't look too happy about it.

Bob

BOB---

We probably started out enjoying it; but I can hear my dad saying "just stay up there and go around a few more times soz I can get some more damn' pictures!"

ALSO-- and this is as far off the trivia charts as you could imagine: At the very moment these pictures were taken (Saturday, Dec 11, 1954), Jackie Gleason, Art Carney, Audrey Meadows, et al were rehearsing at the CBS studios in NYC for their evening broadcast of "The Jackie Gleason Show/The Honeymooners". The episode, broadcast LIVE that evening and thought lost until 1984, is called "SONGWRITERS" and is my absolute favorite of the series, with the sweetest, happiest ending you could ask for (plus a very clever new song written especially for Kramden and Norton to sing in the show). If you're a Honeymoomers fan and have never seen "Songwriters" (it's included in the "Lost" episodes), you should definitely check it out.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 10/02/2011 20:31:57
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  17:19:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by tom w

Sorry Larry and Steve, I just wanted to interject that the pix of you as a patrol boy not only brought back memories for me, It also reminded me of how old we are. Our belts were WHITE!!! I am also reminded ot how little things some change because both of thoose Bee-utiful cars seem to be parked on the wrong side. Tom

TOM-- This ain't supposed to be no two-man discussion here...so chime in all you want! In addition to doing a sort of chronicle of the Rapchak/Kush childhood years together, this thread is supposed to "key in" to all of yous' guy's memories too.

I was also assigned the old regulation WHITE patrol belt in my day.
I remember getting hit in the mouth by a folded-up patrol belt that was thrown by my brother Mike;

POW!!

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 10/02/2011 17:24:11
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  17:38:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Bucko
"Psia krev"!

Ah, Bill...that brings back memories. Often, the Psia krev was followed by Cholera! (pronounced "whole e rah", with a rolled r) And while it basically meant "may you get cholera" it was really just a Polish cuss word akin to damn.

I remember as a teenager, whenever my I would cuss in Polish, my mother would say "Where did you learn that" and I would respond, now mom, who do you think I heard those words from?

Tom, it sounds like your dad bought cars the same way my dad did. We had a 1950 dark green chevy with a visor (we called it the bulge-mobile) until about 1962, when he bought a 1958 pink over white biscayne. That thing was a rust bucket and was completely rusted out by 1966. People today forget that cars didn't last very long back then, at least not in da region where they put down so much salt.
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  20:46:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duane; We didn't Have a car. My dad took the bus to work and I walked or took the bus. No one in our group had a car. My brother gave my dad his 49 Ford Custom when I was about 15. {about 1957} My first was a big, black and yellow 51 Buick Super. Wow man it took me a long time to come up with that!! Thanks for the memory exercise.
Might make another interesting thread, huh? Tom
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  21:10:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots of Tom's on this forum...I should have directed the comment to Tom J. But the neat thing is that everyone has a story or memories that are jogged by what others post.

RE: Taking the bus...Now, all these years later, I too, am taking the bus to work. I live 20 miles from work and there is a coach bus that goes from my town to Duluth, MN every morning. It stops just 1/2 block from my house. Picks me up at 6:30 AM and drops me off at 5:50 PM. I'm the first one on, and the last one off. Makes for a long day, but it is cheaper than buying gas and putting 40 miles a day on the Chevy - and I can read, or listen to my iPod, or even sleep on the way to and from work! Riding the bus ain't bad!
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  22:14:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SPEAKING OF OLD BEATERS...

Check out these two Chevys ('48 and '50, I think?), the Rolls Royce(s) of the newly suburbanized Region family of the era.

We're all holding onto my sister Nancy (born Dec 14,'54). The date on this pic is July 31, '55, which still stands as one of the area's HOTTEST summers.
Oh, yeah....DIG THAT CRAZY LAWN!

The apartments across the street, which we all feared would attract riff-raff, were under construction; the neighborhood fears were unfounded, since mostly older retired folks moved in (including one guy who seemed to have trouble figuring out which pedal in his car was the accelerator, and which one the brakes.... but that's another story).

You can barely make out the neon display sign for KELLY'S Drive-In on the left edge of the apartment building (with a couple more vintage cars in their lot); that's the southwest corner of 169th and Indy Blvd.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 10/03/2011 03:13:41
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  22:50:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep posting those great photos, Larry. I love 'em!
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  07:18:29  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by duane

Keep posting those great photos, Larry. I love 'em!

Same here!
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  15:31:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HassoBenSoba

Hey..

Why don't yous' guys try speaking english around here?! (or at least translate for us all)...

"Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners"

"The Lord be with you," "And with thy spirit."

"Dog's blood" (the strongest swear word in Polish).

Now that you know these, try not to mix them up and use them at the wrong time! "Psia krev" is NOT for using in church!

Bill

Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  16:26:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Bucko

quote:

Hey..

"Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners"

"The Lord be with you," "And with thy spirit."

"Dog's blood" (the strongest swear word in Polish).

Now that you know these, try not to mix them up and use them at the wrong time! "Psia krev" is NOT for using in church!

Bill

I thought the last one meant "cholera of dog's blood" Same thing I guess!
Pronounced "pishahh krev (Roll the "R" a little) hoe let a"

Larry, it wasn't a tennant as I remember, it was the owner!

Edited by - Little Stevie on 10/03/2011 16:28:10
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  18:30:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ANOTHER CLASSIC from the family archives---

OWWW!--- MAN, that HURTS!!

Mike on a rampage with his Fanner 50's at 6912 Magoun. I remember this photo was taken on a
Sunday afternoon. Check the cool '54 CHEVY WITH VISOR parked out front
(it was a deep Navy Blue). Great car.

Hey---DIG THOSE CRAZY CUFFS on my pants!!

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 10/07/2011 02:16:16
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  21:35:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if Larry will remember this item, I pulled it off the Internet. They might have moved before Sara got one of these for a birthday

It's a surrey that you pedaled from the back seat while others could ride in the front.
Cy Beda would always want to be the one to drive it.
If he didn't get his way, he'd go tell his mama and she say we had to share so let Cy drive until he got tired.

Ya know Larry, all the pictures and all the stories with Mike involved, seems he was never the "villain". Seems he was the "instigator" though!

Man! I wish we would have gotten back together before he passed. I always thought of him as a big brother while you lived on Magoun!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 10/03/2011 21:44:48
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  21:51:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure many here will remember this game:

I played this game till the spinners wore out! I used to keep stats while also keeping score in a notebook. Used to set it up on our dining room table and play all night. Had the bright idea of playing "night games" by turning off the dining room light and using one of those new, high intensity nightlights that came out in the sixties!
LS
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  05:23:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These pix are just GREAT. I love the Bel Air cause I had one too but the really great shot is the one with you guys and your dad on 10/2. The lot next to the apartments partially reveals some kinda car with FENDERSKIRTS and looks to be in good shape. keep em coming guys. If I knew how much fun I'd have 60 years later, I woulda spent my money on a camera so I could go to car lots and take pictures too. Jeepers!
Tom
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  05:27:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, Did not mean to leave out lil Nancy, star of the picture and cute as a button. Tom
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  09:41:29  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like about a 1950 Hudson, Tom.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  19:02:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HERE's a photo that's special for two reasons: it captures a totally average moment in the lives of my maternal grandparents, Harry & Pearl Ortman, AND it's one of the very few pics I've ever seen of at least PART of the classic old SERENADE Drive-In on Indy Blvd, just south of 169th.

My grandparents moved into their Magoun Ave home (it's the brown one on the right in back of "Little Stevie's" patrol boy pic on the previous page) sometime late in 1959, in order to be close to us; in fact---right across the street. My relationship with my grandmother was very cool: she was one of the nicest people I've even known, and I spent tons of time at their house from '59 to early '62, when we moved to Hessville. Her death in June of '63 was absolutely traumatic for me.

But here was a happier time. It was a cloudy, warm weekeday afternoon in August of '61; Mike and I were returning from one of our long walks up and down Magoun and over by Baring Parkway. On this particular day, Mike was carrying his little plastic grey camera, so we decided to drop in to see the grandparents. Mike asked if he could take their pic, so we all stepped out in the backyard; that summer, my grandmother always had a plastic bag of those miniature marshmallow-type candy ice cream cones around, and I distinctly remember her grabbing one as we headed outside (that's what she's holding in her hand).

You can also see their dog, a nasty mutt named "Blackie" standing behind grandma on the left. When we were younger, this malevolent mongrel would terrorize us kids by staring us down while growling at us, then suddenly grabbing one of our feet in his mouth and viciously shaking it, while we howled in pain! No kidding--it was unreal! Eventually, one of our parents...who were in the dining room having coffee with the folks...would say "Oh, Blackie's at it again; dad, make him stop", or some such casual comment.

So anyway, Mike snaps this photo, gets it developed and sticks it in his album. In '63 summer, after my grandmother's passing, my mother remembered the pic; we found the negative, and multiple copies were made and distributed to the extended family as a remembrance. We realized then that very few photos of Harry and Pearl together existed, and thus Mike's on-the-spot pic from two summers before became all the more valuable.

In the background is the partially visible SERENADE with its large vertical rectangular facade, painted in pink and sea-green stripes. Within a few years, it would be gone, too.

Wish we could find some more pics of the place; it was iconic.

LR

PS-- This is Sheptalk post no. 6,001.

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 10/06/2011 21:43:28
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  20:56:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob; I was sitting here trying to make it original equipment on a 54 Bel Aire because it looks like there is a mud guard on the front of the rear fender and it's shiny and they only stayed shiny for about a year,but what I didn't consider is no whitewalls which would have been standard equipment for General Motors cars with skirts. So, you could be right.
A big part of what makes that so facinating for me is the fact that it's fuzzy and you can't quite make it out.
By the way, I rememberthose marshmallow cones very well. Tom
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  21:36:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a link to a song that is all about our dicussions here. My favorite band growin' up in the 70's. Then I saw them with the Beach Boys in '75 and well. . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY-kFODaZqE&feature=related
LS
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  21:45:13  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And well what? Did you decide you liked the Beach Boys more than you liked Chicago?

Tomster
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  22:16:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tom J

And well what? Did you decide you liked the Beach Boys more than you liked Chicago?

Tomster

Well. . . gotta admit . . . after hearin' the Boys 6 nights in June of '75 with Chicago. . . last night front row @ the old Chicago Stadium . . .The Beach Boys became my favorite band. Once Terry Kath died and they brought in Lawrence Deliver Us From Evil or whatever his name was, Chicago started to lose me. Got more wrapped up in the music I missed written By Brian W.
LS
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  07:48:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw Chicago down in Bloomington. Terry Kath was Chicago. When Terry was gone, Chicago was gone...Cj
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  20:34:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For several years in a row back in the mid-70's, Chicago would play a concert on the evening of Thanksgiving Day at the Aerie Crown Theater. Since our family had the Thanksgiving meal in the afternoon, and then for the evening it was pretty much sit around and watch a football game, my brother and I would double-date and take our dates to the Chicago concert. What a heck of a band. Why, oh why is that band not in the Rock n Roll hall of fame?
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  21:42:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's see...now where we..?

HERE'S THE 2ND of our "Then & Now" pics of Indy Blvd.
It's the northwest corner of 169th and Indy, with a thriving Standard station and a new row
of store fronts to the north (including ARROW hardware). Don't remember what that log-cabin
style building on the left was.

And here it is today.

Pretty mundane. The lime green building in the distance on the left is the former Laundromat/Floyd Darnell's barber shop
from the '50's. The row of storefronts (on the right) is still there--mostly nail shops, pawn shops,
head shops, chop shops....whatever.
LR
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  11:05:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya know Larry, I didn't realise it till I looked at the "Now" pic but the multi - colored Suburban heading west kinda says it all about the old neighborhood!

Here's a picture from Sept. of '58

Little Stevie & Nancy with their cars

I think this was taken by the Rapchak home. The apartments in back were finished. There was a garage down the alleyway behind Nancy, hidden behind the Ford(?).

Ya think them suspenders were doin' their job or what! A little higher and I wouldn't have needed a shirt!

There is a very interesting story about that garage that Larry will tell soon. Thing is, some people don't learn from their mistakes! More on that too!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 10/07/2011 11:09:04
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  11:18:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a picture of a flashlight I had in '65/'66.

It was a "Flashy" by Ash Flash. Made in Hong Kong.

I recently purchased this on E-Bay.

Another Magoun Ave. memory soon to come regarding this flashlight.
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  13:11:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, STEVE--

Looks like you and Nancy had a minor fender-bender in them two cars of yours; she looks pretty tough in this pic, like she's ready to kick some a____; hope she didn't rough you up. Of course, she's wearing those goofy Mickey Mouse ears on her head, so I doubt if she was lookin' for a fight. Incidentally, when I spoke with Nancy recently about this pic, she told me that she never owned a set of M.M. ears, but always wanted one; so they must have been YOURS...the same pair you were wearing in a previous pic. Maybe you let her wear them as a peace offering after you crashed your cars.

That's the Taylor's car parked on the street behind you guys, so that's their sidewalk leading out to it. It's a Ford, right? I vaguely recall my dad's attitude of disdain towards it (he was strictly a Chevy guy). I think it was a sickly yellow color.

Oh, yeah...the apartment/garage story....but before we get to it, you might have some 'splainin' to do re: my sister Nancy; didn't you guys have some sort of.. ummm...youthful encounter back around the time this pic was taken??

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 10/07/2011 13:16:37
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  23:03:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OOOOOhhhhhh Boy!

First off, I think Nancy cut me off from going home in the car pic. Taken two years after the picture of me in those MM ears, I believe Nancy was wearing them as a sign of us being friends.

Guess I didn't have a pin for her to wear.

Probably too young for that sharp of an object anyway.

I have very vague memories of this next incident but Nancy confirmed it in a phone call we had back in July or August.

A few years later, when we were five of six, Nancy had come over to play, abuse me or who knows what. She was always intrigued that my bedroom closet had a light in it.

You had to go into the closet, then climb up a shelf in there to reach a string attached to the socket.

You had to climb if you were under five feet tall that is.

Anyway, I knew she would come in the closet to watch me turn the light on & off. So I coaxed her in there, turned off the light?,(not sure) put my arms around her and planted a kiss right there on her lips!

Mabye I told her I wouldn't turn the light on & off for her unless she let me kiss her, I can't remember.

Seems we kissed a few times, but it didn't seem that Nancy cared one way or the other, I think she just wanted to watch the light go on & off.

I'm pretty sure I threw open the closet door, began to kiss her again when one or both of my older sisters saw what was happening and really began to tease us about it.

Seems that ended any "romance" I had with Nancy.

I guess when I learned they were going to be moving soon, I wanted her to have at least one "good" memory of living on Magoun.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 10/07/2011 23:12:00
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  00:36:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, man.....

I am shocked----though I'm glad you 'fessed up here in public fer' da indiscretions of yer' yout. But what does it say when you lay four or five kisses on Nancy and she just keeps staring at a light bulb with a string on it?? Pretty sad.

I wonder if the shovel full of dirt in the face came before or after this scandalous incident.

You mention wearing a pin----you'll probably never remember this, but I distinctly recall one summer when you--LITTLE STEVIE KUSH-- were wearing an "I LIKE IKE" campaign button on your t-shirt (!?) Yep, it's true. I remember asking my mother who "Ike" was; Eisenhower's re-election was in fall of '56, when you were too young to be hanging out down at our house. So you must have still been wearing that button a few summers later. Any memory of it? Were your parents big Eisenhower supporters?

While we're all pondering Steve's "Ike" button, here's another old photo. It's me---STILL STUCK on that dang' merry-go-round in front of Jewel Foods in December of '54 (probably frozen to the fake horse).

WHAT'S INTERESTING is the background---the very same intersection of Indy Blvd and 169th that is featured in the "Then & Now" photos above, complete with the Standard station. Kelly's Drive-In is in there somewhere but...as luck would have it...the SERENADE Drive-in is totally blocked by me.

LR
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  07:08:55  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone here remember the walk-in restaurant that was up at the corner of 169th & Indy before they built Kelly's Drive-in?

Bob
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  17:57:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NO DISCUSSION OF THE WOODMAR AREA would be complete without some info on the WOODMAR SHOPPING CENTER. Here's a photo from a yearbook ad that Ken O'Neal posted a few years back.

It's from the center's hey-day, when you still had to rough it outside in the weather before the place was enclosed. WALGREEN's drug store is on the extreme left, and if you look carefully behind the 3rd Pillar from the left, you can see the neon "S" that spells out STORK TOWN, the little toy shop that was one of those magical places included in my Toy Store video on You-Tube---filmed just prior to Woodmar being demolished. I think this is the same space that became Watland's Camera Mart in the '70's.

Here's the link to that "chapter" of the Toy Store video; the Woodmar/Stork Town material starts at about 2:00.

http://youtu.be/yHSbhfPwhpk

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 10/31/2011 04:07:47
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  18:15:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by HassoBenSoba

Oh, man.....

I am shocked----though I'm glad you 'fessed up here in public fer' da indiscretions of yer' yout. But what does it say when you lay four or five kisses on Nancy and she just keeps staring at a light bulb with a string on it?? Pretty sad.

I wonder if the shovel full of dirt in the face came before or after this scandalous incident.

You mention wearing a pin----you'll probably never remember this, but I distinctly recall one summer when you--LITTLE STEVIE KUSH-- were wearing an "I LIKE IKE" campaign button on your t-shirt (!?) Yep, it's true. I remember asking my mother who "Ike" was; Eisenhower's re-election was in fall of '56, when you were too young to be hanging out down at our house. So you must have still been wearing that button a few summers later. Any memory of it? Were your parents big Eisenhower supporter?[quote]

Well, I'm not really sure why the kissing went on in the closet. And why I didn't seem to have an effect on Nancy? Well. . . either I was just a poor kisser at that age (Me thinks my Mom & aunts would've disagreed though) or I wasn't Nancy's sexual preference. (course they say that's a selection you're born with) Or I turned her off to "men" at an early age.

My guess is that Little Stevie was just a poor kisser back then.
As far as the "Ike" button, I think it's in a box in our closet ( unfortunately I'm a little too big to get in there with my wife for a kissin' session) I'll have to look for it.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 10/08/2011 18:16:55
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  18:30:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A walk-up restaurant on the corner of 169th & Indy Blvd before Kelly's? Wow! That's before Little Stevie's time!

I do remember Kelly's and went into the Serenade many times with Rod Hlad for a cold glass of water, which we would or wouldn't get depending on the waitress.

Do any of you remember the "50 Mile Hike" that they held at the Woodmar Shopping Center? Around 1960-62? It was tied in with President Kennedy's Fitness program back then.

I remember walking down there with my Dad to see the beginning of it.

I think it was a Friday night, after business hours. The walkers then completed whatever the required number of laps around the center was.

They finished up Saturday morning. Can anyone out there refresh my memory?

Did any of you participate in the event?
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 10/08/2011 18:38:10
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  20:37:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
and if you look carefully behind the 3rd Pillar from the left, you can see the neon "S" that spells out STORK TOWN, the little toy shop that was one of those magical places included in my Toy Store video on You-Tube---filmed just prior to Woodmar being demolished. I think this is the same space that became Watland's Camera Mart in the '70's.
LR

Larry, Are you saying Watland's moved to the Stork Town location in the '70s? Watland's was in Woodmar Shopping Center in the fourth store north of Walgreen's from the beginning or almost from the beginning. It's the store behind the fourth pillar in this picture. I bought photo supplies for the Photo Club there as early as 1958.
According to my 3" magnifying glass, my trifocals, and the copy of this photo printed in the 1957 Top Hat, the stores north of Walgreen's are: 1 -- cannot read sign, 2 -- Hansel and Gretel, 3 -- Stork Town, 4 -- Watland's, 5 -- Fabric Fair. Farther back I can see Lerner Shops and Kinney Shoes, but that's all.
Bye for now..

Ken
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  22:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KEN--

No kidding; for as often as I walked through Woodmar and stopped into Stork Town, I never realized there was a camera shop next to it. I thought Watland's came in much later. During the 70's, there was a HALLMARK store to the south of Watland's, which must have been in the former Stork Town space.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  13:45:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

KEN--

No kidding; for as often as I walked through Woodmar and stopped into Stork Town, I never realized there was a camera shop next to it. I thought Watland's came in much later. During the 70's, there was a HALLMARK store to the south of Watland's, which must have been in the former Stork Town space.

Larry

Was is Watland's or Comay's Jewelers that had the listening stations for records?

I remember going in there and seeing/using them for the latest 45's.

Preview the record before you bought it.

Watland's was a part of the center for as long back as I can remember.
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  15:27:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do any of you remember the "50 Mile Hike" that they held at the Woodmar Shopping Center? Around 1960-62?

STEVE--- Are you saying that the entrants in this event walked ALL NIGHT around the center 'til Saturday morning? That's strange. Kennedy took office in January of '61, so this event probably took place in '62, after we had moved to Hessville.

I DO remember a 1955 Halloween costume contest/march at Woodmar, probably a Saturday morning, with all us kids lined up outside along the south end of the mall. I wore my dorky, deformed-looking rubber Donald Duck mask, and Mike was a freaky-looking rubber Pinocchio; I'll see if I have an old pic of them---it would be worth a laugh.

Also remember several slug-fests with Santa and the Easter Bunny in Carson's during Woodmar's earliest years.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  20:50:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FOR ALL YOUS' GUYS who appreciate classic old cars of the '50's, here's a cool pic of my dad, Mike and I and our 1950 Chevy.

Pic was taken in front of our house on Hoffman St. in North Hammond (prior to our Magoun days); the car belonged to my uncle who was going into the service and didn't need it---so it sold it to my dad.
My only memory of the car was the night we were driving home and the speedometer suddenly went berserk, squealing and spinning around like mad...and we weren't even doing the limit.

LR
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  20:53:51  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is definitely one cool car, Lar!

Tomster
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  19:34:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Larry, I'm sure they "hiked" all night.

If memory serves me correctly, some guy ran the entire 50 miles, a long distance runner, obviously.

Pretty sure it went all night!
LS
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  20:45:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Little Stevie

Was is Watland's or Comay's Jewelers that had the listening stations for records?
I remember going in there and seeing/using them for the latest 45's.
Preview the record before you bought it.
Watland's was a part of the center for as long back as I can remember.
LS

Definitely Comay's Jewelers that sold 45s and had the listening booths. They also had those red "I am Loved" buttons they would give away. Much later, there was Woodmar Records that sold lots of bootlegs...I really added to my Beatle Bootleg collection whenever I'd come to da Region to visit my folks.

Edited by - duane on 10/10/2011 20:47:52
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  20:49:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry - we also had a 1950 Chevy and it had a visor. It was a pretty sickly colored green if memory serves.
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  02:11:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HERE's A SHORT YOU-TUBE HOME MOVIE...
posted in honor of what would have been my brother Mike's 62nd Birthday (October 12).

AUTUMN of 1960.

Note: It begins with an intentional "freeze frame" so you can see the big old butt of the
OLPH school bus as it drops off Mike and me at Magoun and 169th on Wednesday,
October 12, 1960.

The Link:

http://youtu.be/ACUv41SFS4E

MIKE told me years later how, when he saw our dad standing there with the 8mm camera,
he decided to whip out his new transistor radio as if were already listening to it; he thought it would look
"cool" on film. Our neighbors, the Sandors sisters, Claudia and Lynn, are seen briefly walking in the background.

HISTORICAL NOTE: This was the very same day (10/12/60) that that dufus Khruschev freaked out
and banged his shoe on the desk at the United Nations.

0:18 - My sister Nancy lazily walking with our grandmother (my dad's mother) alongside her apartment in
Whiting (located in back of the former Diamond Tap, right off Indy Blvd on Roberts Ave).
Here is that very same sidewalk today:

The apartment building (on the right) has been overrun by thugs and drugs for the past 20 years, and is slated for demolition.

0:33- Nancy arrives (in our brand new '60 Chevy wagon) at the Michiana Produce Mart at the north
end of the 9-Span bridge on Indy Blvd. Notice the cool old gas station in the background across the street;
it was one of those open buildings with the archway doors that you drove through.

Here's the same building today:

The two guys you see with Nancy on the film were the owners of the Produce Mart and were named
Max and Maurice (or "Morris" as we called him); Morris was the funny one with the pumpkin on his head.
My dad was good friends with both of them and was always giving them free records.
A sunny, happy day.

Here is that same location today, which has been a swimming pool store for many years:

Pretty sad when you see it in comparison with the bright, bustling, "old world"-style place that it used
to be.

1:00 - The film ends with an Sunday afternoon outing in Whiting Park. Watch our dog Bubbles go into "defense" mode, since she didn't recognize my dad with the camera held up to his face.

Hope you enjoy this.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 10/13/2011 04:19:46
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  09:17:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,
I have tons of 8mm reels from the 1950s through the 1970s and a variable speed 8mm projector. What's your secret about digitizing the old films?
Thanks.
Ken
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  14:19:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KEN--

It's a pretty standard routine. I had the old 8mm films transferred to VIDEO (VHS) a number of years ago. I then transfer the video to DVD using my DVD burner (with a VHS slot); I also have a separate VHS deck which I sometimes use to patch into the burner. Then I load the DVD into my computer E-Drive and use a soft-ware editing program to upload to You-Tube. I'm pretty dense about these things, but I figured it out.

Would love to see some of your old stuff.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  17:23:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,

Thanks. My first chore will be to figure out how to get the 8mm transferred to some other medium.

Ken
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  19:30:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken--

You just have to hunt around in your area for some individual or service that transfers old home movies to video. Of course, these days, it would be a direct transfer from 8mm to DVD, eliminating the whole VHS step in the process that I went through.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  07:04:56  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Still enjoying this thread immensely. Like the video, Lar. Keep 'em coming, Steve and Lar.

Tom
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page