Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  12:56:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Craig--

Great to hear from you (your class-reunion and our flight to L.A. meet-up took place a year ago this past week; jeez!).

Just glad to have you guys doing some posting, regardless of topic; however---why don't you guys start a "Beach Boys and related music thread"; at least it will be easier for you and others to find your info in the future.

That was my little brother Philip that went down the slide on his stomach, not me. I'm the one with the painted-on blue and white t-shirt (age 10 at the time). Incidentally, that little whipper-snapper Phil is now manager of the Game Stop store in Munster (across from da' Region's first Burger King on Calumet Ave), and also a fine bassist with the local band Nomad Planets; he co-hosts a radio show on area bands every Thursday night on WJOB---following in his famous father's footsteps, you might say.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  20:35:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a bad idea Larry 'cept IMHO, there ain't no related music to the Beach Boys
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  00:30:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve--

Great pics-- glad you posted them. Yeah, back in those days, families from the neighborhood would just pack up and hit the beach for the day. It probably was Miller, which we went to most often.

So that's Elsie Kessey, huh? Holy Cow! Imagine a 7-year old boy calling her "Sister"! He's lucky she didn't slug him.

Those Taylor boys were a real piece of work (for those who are following along with us, the Taylors lived in the house between Steve's and mine for the first 4 years or so; in fact, their father was in real estate and was the guy who sold the Rapchak and Kush families our new homes. They must have moved out c. 1959, and the Reeves moved in, with their daughter Sarah -- in the pool pic above).

Mark (the older Taylor) was a smart-aleck (but I never heard him call a grown woman "sister"), and I used to enjoy needling him. I remember a summer day when he and his family came back from the beach (WHO KNOWS? - it might have been the very same day recorded in your photos above) and he had a scorching, blistering sun-burn...red as a boiled lobster. He was not wearing a shirt, and was doing this "oh, poor little me" routine, like I should feel sorry for him. So I said something like "Gee, you look great" and slapped him as hard as I could on his bare back. He ran home screaming and within 5 seconds his mother charged over onto our property ready to rip me a new one.

Years later, in 1978, I ran into Mark again; we worked together at an Arts Organization in Hammond for a while. He was now considerably bigger than me, so only friendly back-slapping ocurred. Last I heard he was writing for the Gary Post Tribune--- he did a series about his home getting flooded out or something like that.

Here's a pic from summer of '58----

Mrs. Taylor had dressed her two darlings up as cowboys, and my mom did the same for Mike. I wanted to get into the act, but had no cowboy duds. So I ran downstairs and emerged out into the front yard dressed in knight's armor, with helmet, sword and shield (Mike and I had got these great toy suits of armor made by the Marx company for my birthday in May, '58. Oddly, we never took a photograph of us wearing them).

Anyway, my mother and Mrs. Taylor both chuckled at my medieval get-up, took pity upon me, and cobbled together enough western duds so that I would fit in with the old cowboy gang. And thus, this photo:

MIKE, MARK TAYLOR, SCOTT TAYLOR, LARRY

(I remember my mother complaining that Mrs. Taylor always was trying to "keep up with the Rapchaks"---and I specifically recall mom using the Mattel "Fanner 50" pistols as an example. Mike got his set for his birthday in October '57 and, sure enough, Mark Taylor got a set shortly after. It's obvious from this photo that the pistols were too big for Mark to handle, to say nothing of Scott, who apparently also got a set).

Steve--yeah, I'll post the Klish Halloween pic sometime soon.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 09/06/2011 14:02:14
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  07:36:12  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hope you guys have a lot more of this stuff. I love it! I can relate to all of the stories.

Tomster
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  14:04:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TOM--

Glad you're enjoying it, and yes....there's more on the way.

991 posts, eh? Should we be doing a countdown to the big 1,000th post

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  20:27:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, those were cap guns, right? where you'd put the roll of caps in the gun, pull the trigger and POP POP POP! i remember unrolling them and just hitting the "Black dot" with a hammer or rock or something. then Mattel comes out with "Greenie Stick' em Caps" remember those?
Here's a pic from 1955 of Carol. it shows the house across the street. Did your grandparents live there then?

This other pic is from Halloween of 56. I believe the Taylor boys are standing there next to me in my MM ears!

Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  02:59:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve--

Yeah, the Fanner 50's used the red roll of caps; the greenies came out a few years later, as I remember.

My grandparents didn't move into the house across the street until summer of 1959 (which was a scorcher!).

Your Halloween picture is really bizarre; that's Scott Taylor in the Pancho Villa get-up---same hat as he wore in the '58 cowboy picture above. I guess Mark is supposed to be Bugs Bunny; if I were in your place, I'd be messin' my drawers (which, judging from the look on your face.....aw, forget it).

Speaking of Mr. Taylor, who sold both our families their new homes, I guess he must have had a lot of confidence in the quality of the houses and been a pretty upfront guy; how else could you live right between two families that just bought houses from you?

Here's my dad, Mike and me in one of our very first photos taken in front of the new palace--

My dad always remembered how great it was to wake up on the first cold fall day of '54 and hear the new furnace running...especially when he realized he didn't have to get up and go downstairs to shovel coal (as he had in every house up until then).

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  05:47:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, ya think maybe Mike called her "Sister" in the fact that she yelled at him like the only other non-related women in his life back then? A nun?

I think you're right about my emotions in this picture, judging by the look on my face and the low hangin' back end. I'm guessin' Mike took one look at the Taylor's and said, "Why don't you guys go over to the Kush's and scare the crap out of Little Stevie?"

I could show you a picture of me "Potty Trained @ 10 months" but me thinks I'll pass.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 09/07/2011 23:10:40
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  22:59:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a couple more pictures from the Kush Home on Magoun Ave.
The player piano, in our basement, Larry was referring to in his above post.

One unique thing my dad did (you can see a little of it in the lower left hand corner) is put a shuffleboard game into the tile. Here's a better picture of it with my cousins & sisters. There is a "pusher" stick laying in front of Bev. Both of these were taken Thanksgiving 1954. About three months before I was born. Two months after they moved in.

As long as I lived there, I don't remember anyone or myself ever playing shuffleboard.

After the Rapchaks & Hlads moved, Little Stevie had to keep himself entertained. I devised a game of football with the discs. Roll one of one color (red or black) on edge and slide the other colored disc at it to "tackle" the rolling one. Eventually, I broke most of the discs by sliding them too hard.

(Guess I was venting my anger at the fact that my friends & abusers had abandoned me!)

L to R: My sister Bev - cousins John & Paul Surowiec - My sister Carolyn & cousin Joann

This end of the basement became the goal end for floor hockey, which by the way, hadn't been invented yet. We played with a sponge rubber puck. We broke the window a couple of times before I replaced it with plexiglass.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 09/07/2011 23:06:52
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  03:45:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve--

This is getting better by the minute.

As you know, our two houses on Magoun (AND their basements) were exactly the same design and dimensions; they may not have looked like much, but ours was a refuge, a fantasy world where Mike and I loved to hide out and enjoy the things that really excited us; model building, reading comics, our train set-up, watching baseball in the summer, listening to music, drawing...etc, etc.

THAT OLD PLAYER PIANO in your basement---man, that was October of 1958 when Mike and I sat there and pounded on it! And here is a cool pic of Mike and I in OUR basement during that same great month. As Halloween was approaching, Mike and I divided our evenings between running around the neighborhood spitting into Jack-o-Lanterns and sitting downstairs drawing Halloween figures: ghosts, pumpkins, witches, skeletons, etc, etc; we'd color them, cut 'em out, and then tape them up to the ceiling rafters.

Here's what it looked like:

(The window in the background is the southeast one---the same window in your basement's shuffleboard photo).

While we were working on this project, we'd play a certain old '78 record over and over--it was the song "Moonlight and Roses" performed by The Three Suns, which featured a very sad-sounding accordion playing the melody (you can hear this same recording on my You-Tube Toy Store Video Part 1 when I discuss '58 Halloween and my grandfather).

The memories just keep a'-coming

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 09/09/2011 03:57:15
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  20:11:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, The window in the picture with the piano is the southeast one. You can hardly see it in that pic. The water heater and chimney are in the same exact spot as yours were. The window in the picture with Bev, Carol & my cousins is the northeast one. Probably the window you and Mike used to tease our dog, Blackie, through!

This picture of Blackie & me was taken on or near my first birthday. There are three whole pictures of me on my first birthday, then a few pictures of a snowstorm that must have prevented the large "Birthday Bash" my parents had planned.

LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 09/09/2011 20:11:44
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2011 :  22:12:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Soon to come . . . the dinosaur pictures Larry has been asking for. From our Wisconsin dells vacation in 1958.
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2011 :  02:39:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HERE'S A second home video (on You-Tube) from 6912 Magoun Avenue; it's short but sweet.

It's the very first footage we took, with the new 8mm camera. Sunny, happy days in April of 1960. Mike, Jr was taken to St Catherine's Hospital on Good Friday night with a serious case of double pneumonia. He spent the next week there, and came home on a gorgeous sunny Saturday. Soon afterwards, this footage was taken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iAssS9R_eY

Our wonderful pooch Bubbles was at her friskiest, and gladly went for a ride on the swing set in Mike's arms. At 0:59, Mike and Bubbles run onto the exact spot in the back yard where Nancy and Little Stevie were shoveling' and hoein' in the picture posted above.

Even when the film was freshly developed, we could never figure out why Nancy was brushing/slapping at her hair as she walked up the front sidewalk, having just exited the old family b&w '56 Chevy wagon.

Very brief shot of the 169th Laundromat/Darnell's barber shop in the background as Nancy is riding the white and maroon hand-me-down bike.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 10/01/2011 22:35:09
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2011 :  07:09:32  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool, Larry! Thanks for sharing.

I sure do remember those wonderful days of the 1950s and 1960s.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2011 :  00:22:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally! got to scanning more pictures. Larry, here are the pictures from our Wisconsin Dells vacation in the summer of 1958. I'm sure you'll be able to identify the type of dinosaurs in these!

That's Little Stevie, Beverly & Carolyn riding the beast!

Just the girls on this one! Guess I'd had enough for a spell.

Again, just the girls, sitting on the tail of this "creachture" as Ernest T. Bass might say!

I have very vague memories of this vacation. Remember an area known as "The Wonder Spot" where things seemed to defy gravity and other laws of physics. I believe I lost my "Cubs" baseball hat while riding on a "duck". Me thinks that someone actually fished it out of the water and it was returned to me. Can't be too sure, I'll have to have one of the sisters confirm it for me.

Notice how "friendly" these dinosaurs look? They seem to all be smiling!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 09/28/2011 01:15:14
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2011 :  01:09:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The"Hood Walk" last Saturday was special. We re-created the "1st day of School" pics (posted on the Jefferson School thread) plus many more which Larry will soon be posting.

I'm sure many of you have a similar picture, in your archives, like the one below. It's my sister Bev on "Tony the Pony". I remember some guy coming around the neighborhood with this pony for the children to sit on and get their picture taken. I guess most of the "Baby Boomers" were living in the newly developed suburbs and were not used to seeing any type of animal 'cept a dog or cat. Maybe a turtle now or then, a lizard, maybe, but surely no horse, cow or other farm animal.

Of course, many of our mothers said that we looked like "pigs" after a hard day of play in the backyards and alleys.

This picture was taken on our neighbor's, The Bedas, sidewalk. They lived to the south of us. maybe next "Hood Walk", we can get a horse for the re-created picture!

Whoever the guy was, he probably came up with the idea sittin' in a bar one day. Probably "Old Glory" on Indianapolis Blvd.
Probably told the guy next to him:

"Ya know, if eyes to git a horse and walk around dis neighborhood wit 'em, I'll just bet the little rugrats would like to git on him and go fer a ride!"

"Why take 'em fer a ride? Why not just take dere picture on him? Youse could charge da old man a couple of bucks per kid for dere picture, sittin' on da horse!"

"Yeah . . . but . . . who's gonna clean up after dat horse? Ya know he's gonna have to take a dump sumtimes while walkin' around!"

Dat's true. . . better git . . . you knows . . . one of dem small horses. Less to clean up afters"

"Small horse? you mean a pony?"

Yeah . . . Yeah! A pony! Call 'em "Tony". . . Tony the Pony!"

"Damn! dat's a hell of an idea! Bartender! ! ! Git my buddy here an nudder beer! He jist give me a crazy hair-brained scheme dat even dat Ralph Kramden would be jealous of!"

Then again, maybe not.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 09/28/2011 12:02:26
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2011 :  02:47:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE--

These pics are fabulous!

What's really cool is that I clearly remember seeing these three Dinosaur photos when your family got them developed in the summer of '58; you guys made sure to show them to us, since Mike and I were nuts about dinos, and I remember how envious I was, especially seeing the girls perched on top of the Stegosaurus (middle pic; the top one is a Protoceratops, the bottom one a gigantic trachodon; there was also a huge brontosurus among the trees and shrubs; all were made out of plaster, I think...maybe fibreglass).

What's odd is this: for years after I saw these pics in '58, I thought they were taken in some place called "Dinosaur Park"; we came to believe that this was the famous park near Mount Rushmore in South Dakota; I figured the family would visit it some day.

Then, in June of '62, our family took a vacation around Lake Michigan, and stopped at the Wisconsin Dells, where we all thrilled to these very same dinos, without realizing they were the ones in your '58 photos. It was only in summer of '64--when our family finally drove to S. Dakota/Mount Rushmore---that we visited the actual "Dinosaur Park" (it's actually in Rapid City, S.D.).

It was then that I said---"hey, where's the Stegosuarus that you can climb on like we saw in the Kush pictures"? Ultimately...(duh)...it dawned on me that the Kush pics had been taken at the Dells, the same place that we had visited in '62 without realizing it.

The big old plaster dinosaurs in Rapid City, South Dakota are pretty poor; they're primitive in design and very plain-looking and UN-detailed. They are BIG, though (they're still standing on a massive, grassy hill).

ALSO-- Steve--- I don't remember nuttin' about no miniature horse on Magoun Ave; I'm sure if the little guy had unloaded on Beda's sidewalk we ALL would have known about it. Your re-telling of the origins of the project had me crackin' up big time. Great picture of Bev in her cowgirl dude-ess duds.

More, please.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 09/29/2011 01:37:41
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2011 :  22:08:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all. I've been avidly following your Magoun Avenue memories for a couple of weeks now. I, too, was a Magouner (is that a word?) albeit on the south side of East Chicago. A couple of other things - I had a Bugs Bunny costume exactly like the one your neighbor has in one of the posted pictures, although mine had the tall ears on it. I've got a photo of that somewhere...perhaps I can find it. I'm posing with my father in his EC Police uniform (he was NOT dressed for halloween...just for work!)

I remember well the Dinosaurs in Wisconsin Dells. They were located just as you went up the hill past the dam and into the town of Wisconsin Dells proper. The other strip along Hwy 12 was Lake Delton. Anyway, I believe there was miniature golf in with the Dinosaurs. Sadly they are now gone. Also gone is Storybook Gardens, which was a large area along HWY 12 that had all sorts of scenes of storybook characters as well as real life people dressed as characters (I remember Bo Peep having several live sheep). That just disappeared within the past few years. Biblical Gardens was located along a ravine about a mile east from Storybook Gardens. It had dioramas (actually full size statues) of many events in the life of Christ. Unfortunately, that disappered many (perhaps 20) years ago. The Wonder Spot was indeed the area where they gave the illusion that gravity was wacky. What they did was build a house that was at an angle to the ground, but you didn't notice it as much when you were inside...so a ball appeared to roll up hill when placed in a gutter. A bowling ball hung from a chain bolted to the ceiling appeared to swing in only half an arc when given a push. There were Wonder Spots all over the country. I know for sure there was one located in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, but I don't recall exactly what town anymore.

So anyway, thanks to all you Magouners for bringing back some great memories - even though I was in the next town, we still appear to have had some common childhood experiences.
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2011 :  22:49:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duane, now that you mentioned it, I remember seeing pictures of the storybook Garden. Maybe they're in another album I haven't look through yet. Your father was an E C policeman? Did he/ you know the Kawicki's from E.C.? Daughter Judy, son Mickey wife Theresa. I can't think of dad's name at the moment. He was heavyset, rode a tri-wheel cycle.
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  02:38:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HERE's a pic of one of the Wisconsin Dells dinosuars, a Triceratops (which I had forgotten about)--

This is the only one of the old Dells dinos that I can find on the Internet thus far. We bought postcards of all of them when we were there in '62, but those cards are long gone.

HERE's a view of the huge Dinosaur Park in Rapid City, South Dakota,
which still stands today--

Duane-- Glad you're enjoying these posts; more to come on both this one and the Jefferson School thread.

Larry R
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  19:09:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK folks, more pics from those golden years on Magoun Ave.

These are from summer of '58

This one is looking north from in front of our house @ 6920.
First house on the left was the Taylor home, next, the Rapchak's.

L to R:
Mark Taylor, My sister Bev (I believe), Cy Beda (in front) Scott Taylor (nice hat!) and a girl I cannot ID. Maybe you can Larry

Here's Cy and myself. Guess I wanted to be one of the "Cowboys" in the 'Hood too!

This one, a few months later, is a view to the south:

L to R standing
sister Bev & Mark Taylor
L to R kneeling
Scott Taylor, Larry's sister Nancy, & Myself

The first house on the right, the Gormans, next to them the Klishs.
More on them later!

Edited by - Little Stevie on 09/29/2011 19:20:41
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  19:49:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by duane
... There were Wonder Spots all over the country. I know for sure there was one located in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, but I don't recall exactly what town anymore.

I don't recall signs advertising one anywhere around Iron Mountain, Crystal Falls, Sagola, or the Michigamme Reservoir where my family vacationed a number of summersin the '50s. The resort was first called Rogge's Resort, then Ruth and Ray Kopf's WayDam Resort. It is still around.

Plenty of Burma Shave signs around, but no "anti-gravity" ones.

Bill

Warren G. Harding Class of '63
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  19:51:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
P.S. Wonderful photo of Bev as a cowgirl. Thanks!

Bill

Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  20:31:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Google works wonders....St. Ignace, MI, under the name of Mystery Spot. Different name, same lame tricks!
(and lots of other places too!)

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/29062

Edited by - duane on 09/29/2011 20:31:31
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  20:38:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Little Stevie

Duane, now that you mentioned it, I remember seeing pictures of the storybook Garden. Maybe they're in another album I haven't look through yet. Your father was an E C policeman? Did he/ you know the Kawicki's from E.C.? Daughter Judy, son Mickey wife Theresa. I can't think of dad's name at the moment. He was heavyset, rode a tri-wheel cycle.
LS

The Kawicki name doesn't sound familiar. I did know many of the cops that worked on the East Chicago side. Perhaps he worked the Indiana Harbor side? My dad was the 4 corners EC traffic cop for mill traffic. His "beat" was downtown EC on foot. He was there for about 25 years. How old were Judy and Mickey in the late 1960's?
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  23:14:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duane,
Judy graduated from Roosevelt in '66 I believe. She and my oldest sister were good friends. They went to the same church we went to, St. Michael's Polish Nat'l Church on Wegg Ave. in EC. She married a guy named Steve Glombicki, who is/was either a cop or fireman. Maybe in Chicago, IL. All I remember is that he left her at the altar the night before they were to wed. My sister was livid! Then some time later, Judy married him anyway. Mickey must of graduated in '69 or '70 from ECR too. Also, I found out the dad's name was Vince.
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2011 :  02:50:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey--

Wonder why the two Rapchak boys aren't in any of these photos? (probably on lock-down at 6912).

Steve--don't know the name of the girl on the right; I'm sure Carol and Bev would remember. See if you can't convince them to check out SHEPTALK and see what we're doing with all of these photos.

I don't understand the women folk; sometimes it's like pullin' teeth to get them involved.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 09/30/2011 17:41:06
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2011 :  19:53:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Duane,
Judy graduated from Roosevelt in '66 I believe. She and my oldest sister were good friends. They went to the same church we went to, St. Michael's Polish Nat'l Church on Wegg Ave. in EC. She married a guy named Steve Glombicki, who is/was either a cop or fireman. Maybe in Chicago, IL. All I remember is that he left her at the altar the night before they were to wed. My sister was livid! Then some time later, Judy married him anyway. Mickey must of graduated in '69 or '70 from ECR too. Also, I found out the dad's name was Vince.
LS

Well, now we are getting somewhere. I did know an EC Policeman named Vince, and Steve Glombicki's name is VERY familiar. I went to ECR in Jr. High and then transfered to BNI as a sophomore, so I probably didn't rub shoulders with Judy or even Mickey (you know how upper classmen didn't mix with the underclass rabble!) My brother graduated ECR in 68, so he probably knew both of them. So, did that Judy/Steve thing work out in the long run?????

I have many fond memories of St. Michael's on Wegg. Even went to service there a couple of times (probably was a mortal sin for a Roman Catholic back in those days!). I always enjoyed the church bizaars that they had in the church yard, and our family went to those very often, as we had many neighbors who belong to the Polish National church.

Edited by - duane on 09/30/2011 19:57:19
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2011 :  23:16:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

... They went to the same church we went to, St. Michael's Polish Nat'l Church on Wegg Ave. in EC...
LS

That's the church my parents dragged me to. (Until finally in 1965 I rebelled, and refused to get out of bed Sunday mornings.) Still remember the old wooden church that was replaced by the new one north of it around 1957, and Father Sienko, who died in 1963. The parish has moved to Cedar Lake, but their website has many photos from the East Chicago days. See http://www.stmichaelpncc.org/ .

Bill

Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2011 :  23:42:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MANY OF YOU'S GUYS may not be familiar with Magoun Avenue itself, but EVERYBODY knows Indianapolis Blvd, which was mere steps away from our front doors (Magoun is the first block west of Indy).

Indy Blvd was like the "BIG CITY" to me...bright lights, store windows, restaurants, lots of traffic...and a nice clean "modern", upscale feel that was really cool back when it was new.

Steve and I recently walked the Blvd (and got questioned by the cops as we snapped photos) to document the way it looks now, compared to the great old days.

Here's that shot again from the Purdue Cal Photo Archives, circa 1958 (yeah, I know...it doesn't look very bright or exciting in this picture):

It's winter, the Christmas decorations are up, the recently opened Jewel Food Store is on the left, and the classic old SERENADE drive-in is visible on the right edge, with its rectangular facade and the name in NEON against a background of pink and sea-green stripes.

AND HERE"S the same shot as it looks today (photographed Sept 24, 2011)

We'll post more of these soon.

LR
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  00:18:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Bucko

quote:

... They went to the same church we went to, St. Michael's Polish Nat'l Church on Wegg Ave. in EC...
LS

That's the church my parents dragged me to. (Until finally in 1965 I rebelled, and refused to get out of bed Sunday mornings.) Still remember the old wooden church that was replaced by the new one north of it around 1957, and Father Sienko, who died in 1963. The parish has moved to Cedar Lake, but their website has many photos from the East Chicago days. See http://www.stmichaelpncc.org/ .

Bill

Well . . .well . . . well, Bill!
I thought the "Bucko" name rang a bell! Yes, they moved to Cedar Lake. My wife & I just returned from there. You see, every Friday, from 4-8 PM they are having fish frys to help raise cash. Since I was asked to come to see if the building was structurally sound, (I haven't been to a service in years. 1st time I entered, the place did give a slight shudder!) we have been going there for dinner on Fridays ever since. In fact, I asked our waitress tonight about the Buckos. She said that they were her relatives. I'm talking about Nancy Dykiel. She has 2 older brothers, Vince & Tom. Tom & I served 9 AM Mass together. Many great stories about those Labor Day Bazaars at the Grove! Did you know any of the Krupas that lived behind the bar their father Henry aka "Peeches" ran? Man! the twins, Alan & Tony, knew every drunk and derelict that lived, wandered East Chicago. Including the the most famous one, Martin Pinack. The Man who lived under the Grand Calumet River Bridge.

Duane, I'm not sure how Judy & Steve are doing. I'll have to ask Carol. Did you know any of the above mentioned Krupas? The bazaars were great! Theresa Kawicki was the woman who would bellow out the bingo numbers at all of the events. She was a great woman. Very kind. I think she died of a heart attack. Also think her husband Vince did too. No . . . I think she had a stroke. Did you ever play bingo in that old shed/barn/hall in the grove? For all those great prizes? Washcloths, lamps, a cheap toy or two?
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 10/01/2011 00:31:12
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  00:54:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,
we didn't get questioned by just some cop, remember? He was a State Cop!

Larry & I are just standing on the corner, trying to figure out the best position to take the photo when this maroon car pulls up, the passenger window goes down and this young guy says:

"Whaddya takin' pictures of?"

Larry & I look at each other and I ask the guy:

"What did ya say?"
It's then I notice all the electronic equipment in the car and notice the ISP patch on his shirt sleeve.

"I SAID. . . WHAT ARE YOU TAKING PICTURES OF!"

"Well. . ."
I start to stammer when Larry tells him that we grew up in the area and we are re-visiting the neighborhood for old times sake and are just re-taking pictures of pictures we have from the fifties.

The officer kinda looks at us in doubt till I hand him the above picture that shows the "House of Pizza" in it. He asks if it the same and are the pizzas any good.
Well, right then I realize this cop's not from the "Hood". We tell him that yeah, it's the same business, in the same building as it was fifty years ago, and yeah, the pizzas are still great. In fact, that's where we're going to have dinner in a few minutes. He hands back the picture, realizing we weren't plotting a terrorist act and goes on his way. In the meantime, my two sisters are gabbing, about who knows what, unaware that we were being questioned. Another affirmation that they didn't pay much attention to "Little Stevie" or his on-goings! Even fifty plus years later!

LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 10/01/2011 01:03:57
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  14:17:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Jewel Food Store seen in the "OLD" version of the picture above was a great place to shop. On Saturday mornings we'd always head over there, and I still rememeber being fascinated by the coffee grinder and that pungent smell of fresh-ground coffee.

Here's an ad from the Hammond Times announcing the opening of the store; where were you on October 28th, 1954?

Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  14:42:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

LS

Bill

... In fact, I asked our waitress tonight about the Buckos. She said that they were her relatives. I'm talking about Nancy Dykiel. She has 2 older brothers, Vince & Tom. Tom & I served 9 AM Mass together. Many great stories about those Labor Day Bazaars at the Grove! Did you know any of the Krupas that lived behind the bar their father Henry aka "Peeches" ran? ...

LS

I'm afraid I'm drawing a blank on the name Dykiel. I had an Aunt Eleanor and Uncle Mike Jancek; also an Aunt Stella and Uncle Ed, whose last name escapes me. The name Krupa is familar, though I don't think I knew them personally. I did know a Bielat, Kowalczyk and Surowieck. And from the early '50s there still rings in my ears "Swieta Maria, Matko Boza, modl sie za nami" as well as Father Sienko singing "Pan z wami," to PROVE that I grew up among Polacks!

Bill

Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  15:01:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Here's an ad from the Hammond Times announcing the opening of the store; where were you on October 28th, 1954?"

Still cookin' in my mama's womb!

The eight o'clock coffee grinders in those stores! How great was it? I loved that freshly ground smell! What's really remarkable is, I never became a coffee drinker! Maybe 1 cup in my life.

While waiting for Jeff D. to walk down the block for school at Jefferson in the spring, I patiently sat on those steps in front of 6920 Magoun, drinking a 10 ounce bottle of that fabulous new drink from Pepsi-Cola, MOUNTAIN DEW!

I still drink a Dew once and a while, but give me 12 cold ounces of Pepsi any time!
Ahhh! Pepsi-Cola, the Nectar of the Gods!,The Joy of Cola!

Check out this clip of one of the best Pepsi Jingles ever made!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du-bPdzXkTs

(You might have to Copy & Paste it)

LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 10/01/2011 15:18:33
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  15:14:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm afraid I'm drawing a blank on the name Dykiel. I had an Aunt Eleanor and Uncle Mike Jancek; also an Aunt Stella and Uncle Ed, whose last name escapes me. The name Krupa is familar, though I don't think I knew them personally. I did know a Bielat, Kowalczyk and Surowieck. And from the early '50s there still rings in my ears "Swieta Maria, Matko Boza, modl sie za nami" as well as Father Sienko singing "Pan z wami," to PROVE that I grew up among Polacks!

Bill

[/quote]

Well Bill, Wally Bielat and his wife, Marcia are at the fish fry every Friday My mother's maiden name was Surowiec, no "K" at the end. Her brothers were John and Alfred, AKA "Fritz". Sisters were Lil, Alice & Patricia (Pat). Only my three aunts are alive. In fact, in the picture of our basement @ 6920 Magoun, Alice & Pat are sitting at the piano! I remember Father Sienko vaguely. I served as an altar boy under Father Ed Broztowski. His daughter Betty, set the hearts of many the young men at St. Mike's, ablaze when Father Ed took over after Father Seinko died. She married Pete Bianchi. He is a retired EC fireman.
My Aunt Alice is still active in the church and still corresponds with Betty.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 10/01/2011 15:17:06
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  16:30:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Little Stevie:

Yes, I knew both the Krupa's well. I think they had a sister that was a year or two younger as well. Alan and Tony were twins and we were in the same grade and we sometimes hung out. We were friends, but not best friends. We were both in scouts, but in different troops. As fellow south siders, we'd play basketball and football together. And Krupa's tap was a famous south side establishment.

And I believe the answer to "Pan z Wami" is "Iz duchem twoim" (I probably spelled it wrong) And I can still say through my fault, through my fault, through my most grevious fault in 3 languages...English, Latin and Polish!!

Yes, I spent many an afternoon and evening sitting next to my mother whilst she played bingo in that shed/hall/whatever you call it that was in the churchyard of the Polish National Church on Wegg Ave.

And as for Martin Piniak, we had a big discussion about him a couple of years ago...it is still somewhere here on the forum somewhere. One south sider (I think it was Jay on this forum) said that his mom dated Martin Piniak in Marty's younger days, when he was said to be quite a looker and a lady's man! Oh, yeah, and there is an entire thread somewhere on the forum also dedicated to that other famous EC south sider EDJU! Lots of hilarious stories on that thread about Edju...so if you've got any to contribute, we'd all love to hear them!

Edited by - duane on 10/01/2011 16:56:33
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  19:04:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

LS

... In fact, I asked our waitress tonight about the Buckos. She said that they were her relatives. I'm talking about Nancy Dykiel. She has 2 older brothers, Vince & Tom. Tom & I served 9 AM Mass together. Many great stories about those Labor Day Bazaars at the Grove!
Did you know any of the Krupas that lived behind the bar their father Henry aka "Peeches" ran? ...

I was dating one of the Krupa daughters, Linda, for a while back in the 70's.
FYI: Gene Krupa, the legendary drummer, was some kind of relation to them as well...Cj

LS

Bill

Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  19:12:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah Duane, there were two girls in the Krupa family. Karen, who was a year or two older than the twins, and Linda, who was my age. A year younger than Alan & Tony. I still run into Tony once and a while. His father-in-law lived across the street from us here in St. John. He would drive by the neighborhood now and then to chat.

I'll have to go to the other topics strings to look up the Pinack stories. I always heard he was a good looking, young man from a well to do family. Then, he had his heart broken by the girl of his dreams and never cared to live in society again.
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  21:55:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gentlemen,

Loads of scholarly research (and laughs)re: Edju Tucker can be found here on (big) Page 1 of Sheptalk (about half-way down the page). If you go ahead to big Page 3, you'll find two threads that deal with Martin Piniak: "Martin Piniak - an East Chicago legend" and "The Grand Calumet and its Bridges".

In the meantime, here's a cool photo taken on the sidewalk right in front of the Jewel Food Store on Indy and 169th, on Saturday, December 11, 1954 (less than 2 months after the store opened). Why in the world they thought the kiddies would want to ride a merry-go-round in the dead of winter is beyond me---but I know of two brothers (pictured here) that were goofy enough to do it.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/11/2012 19:21:21
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  22:09:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding the pony: I have pictures somewhere of my sister and brother on the same (?) pony. These would have been taken 1960ish on the southeast side of Chicago. I worked with a guy who had pictures of himself taken on the same (?) pony. These would have been on the SW side of Chicago, also in a 1960 timeframe.. I have also seen photos of cousins on the same (?) pony.
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  22:11:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Larry, I went to both threads bout Edju & Piniak. Interesting. Pretty much what I already knew/heard. Especially your Edju story!

Had to be cold on that merry-go-round! Youse guyz are both bundled up! I'm wondering what the price of pork loins and ribeye steaks were back then. That's what the sign behind the merry-go-round looks to be advertising!
Think Mike put the fear of god into other little kids waiting a turn so's the picture could be taken with just you & him on the merry-go-round?

Edited by - Little Stevie on 10/01/2011 22:18:14
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  22:41:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HassoBenSoba

Hey, guys--

RE: the dirt shoveling' picture-- it was definitely taken by one of my parents, probably my dad.

ANYWAY---1958 Halloween was approaching - incredibly cool time in my life! One cloudy weekday afternoon, my brother Mike and I were invited into "Little Stevie's" house by one of his sisters, where we pounded away on an old player piano they had in their basement. We then plugged in this tin electric stove-oven toy that the girls had down there; it was one of those KENNER-like toys, and the top surface REALLY heated up! You could burn the crap out of yourself on those things! So as it heated up, Mike took a little wax pumpkin candle that we found down there, and set it on top of the stove. We enjoyed watching the orange wax streaming down the side of the thing (can't imagine why the girls left us down there unattended!)

Here's an E-Bay pic that Mike sent me a few years ago; this may, in fact, be exactly the same type of pumpkin candle that we destroyed that day.

Such was life. LR

Here's a picture of Bev in Oct. of '57. See the look on her face as she's holding a present she received for the upcoming Halloween?

Looks like she knew the candle wouldn't be around a year later if her then "sweetheart" and his older brother, those Rapchak "Hooligans", got their hands on it!

FOR SHAME !
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 10/01/2011 22:46:52
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  23:18:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a picture I'm really proud of! (What a "Dorky" picture,huh?)I think it was taken in the fall of '66. It was in with pictures of my sister's Senior class trip in the spring of '66.

The Hatcher's lived in the house across the street, on the left, and Larry's grandparents lived in the house to the right of them. I'm not sure if they were there at the time of this picture.

That's our '59 DeSoto parked at the curb. We bought it from my Uncle George. Had push-button transmission.

Plus a really cool speedometer where a line was green for 0 -30 mph, then yellow from 30 - 60 mph

THEN red from 60 - 120 mph!

Uncle George was actually my Dad's buddy from the neighborhood they grew up in, in EC. They both went to war together, served in the same outfit. Cyclone division, "Avengers of Bataan".

Dad & Uncle George
On the family trip out west in July of '52.

He worked at Inland, as did my Dad, never married and lived with my grandparents in south Hammond on Howard Ave. He was a huge baseball fan, but preferred the Cubs to the Sox. Went to games all the time.
One of my best memories of that time was, if I was out playing in the yard and Uncle George pulled up around 11 -11:30, it meant I was going to a Cubs game!

If he showed up around 5 or so, a Sox game was at hand. I remember watching fireworks after every Sox game back then.
I enjoyed the Sox games but I grew up, and will always be a Cubs fan. My favorite player back then and forever? None other than "Mr. Cub" himself, Ernie Banks!

Some day either Larry or myself will tell the story about the brown garage door in the backround, to the left of the Hatcher home!

Just another slice of Life from growing up on Magoun!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 10/01/2011 23:40:44
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  02:09:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE--

Man, you're coming up with some great stuff!

1.) After more than 50 years, I see the very same pumpkin candle that Mike and I destroyed in October of '58 by melting it on your sisters' toy stove-of-death in your basement. And MIKE WAS RIGHT! That is THE EXACT SAME design as the color E-bay pic he sent to me a few years ago (which you've posted here), right down to the uneven shape of the eyes. Damn!

2.) Enjoy the dorkey picture of you as patrol boy--though I'm certainly not one to talk. Re: my grandparents' house across the street: no, Grandma Ortman died in June of '63 (positively the most traumatic event of my young life), and my grandfather was moved out sometime later that year.

3.) Regarding that BROWN GARAGE DOOR across the street on the left: let's see......ummmmm..... Once upon a time, in August of 1960---the second week when the summer meteor showers are at their height----Mike and I decided we were going to stay up late that Saturday night in the hope of seeing a few shooting stars. [To be continued].

4.) Re: the picture of your dad and Uncle George-- I was struck by the fact that we're looking at two guys who typified that greatest generation who grew up in the Depression, went to war and kicked some Axis Ass in order to save the world, came back home--NEVER crowing about their war-time activities--and then settled down to raise their families and help build a solid, moral, community. And the best we can do to honor their memory is to live our lives in a way that they would be proud of.

And that includes keepin' yer damn grass cut!

Larry
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  02:15:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE--

ALSO-- re: the color patrol boy photo---by '66, the great old SERENADE drive-in restaurant on Indy Blvd had been torn down and was replaced by that single-story white building you can see in between the two houses across the street; that building housed the Foster Music store (where I would briefly work as a sales-dork in the fall of '67). More on my grandparent's house and the SERENADE soon.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 10/02/2011 02:21:41
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  02:55:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Larry and Steve, I just wanted to interject that the pix of you as a patrol boy not only brought back memories for me, It also reminded me of how old we are. Our belts were WHITE!!! I am also reminded ot how little things some change because both of thoose Bee-utiful cars seem to be parked on the wrong side. Tom
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  03:14:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tom w

Sorry Larry and Steve, I just wanted to interject that the pix of you as a patrol boy not only brought back memories for me, It also reminded me of how old we are. Our belts were WHITE!!! I am also reminded ot how little things some change because both of thoose Bee-utiful cars seem to be parked on the wrong side. Tom

quote:
4.) Re: the picture of your dad and Uncle George-- I was struck by the fact that we're looking at two guys who typified that greatest generation who grew up in the Depression, went to war and kicked some Axis Ass in order to save the world, came back home--NEVER crowing about their war-time activities--and then settled down to raise their families and help build a solid, moral, community. And the best we can do to honor their memory is to live our lives in a way that they would be proud of.

And that includes keepin' yer damn grass cut!

Larry, AMEN TO THAT!

Tom!
Interject all you want! That's what we're here for! I figger I musta been in the 6th grade at Jefferson when this was taken, cause I remember having a white belt when I started "Patrolling".
Must of wanted to show off the latest fashion in Crime-stopping ware!

Judging by the shadows, which are running SW to NE, I'm guessing this picture was taken 3 -4 PM in mid to late November.
LS
quote:

Edited by - Little Stevie on 10/02/2011 03:39:45
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  06:53:06  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
"Why in the world they thought the kiddies would want to ride a merry-go-round in the dead of winter is beyond me---but I know of two brothers (pictured here) that were goofy enough to do it."
==============================
Larry, you and your brother don't look too happy about it.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  07:40:30  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The car across the street in the patrol boy picture is a 1962 Olds. We had one of those for our family car for a few years as I was growing up. Ours was a cream color four door hardtop but the one in this picture looks like a two door hardtop.

We had a brown and cream 1954 Olds before Dad got the '62. That '54 is the first family car that I can actually remember. I'm not sure which year Dad traded the '54 for the '62, but Dad never bought new cars, so I guess it would have been in 1963 or 1964.

I am ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY enjoying this thread!

Tomster

Edited by - Tom J on 10/02/2011 07:43:56
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page