MAGOUN AVENUE MEMORIES
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2014 :  17:47:17  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I thought Tom broke it.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2014 :  19:22:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to keep things even, I am in Cape San Blas, Florida (about 50 mi South of Panama City). It dropped down to 30 degrees and a light rain coated all the roads, bridges and trees with ice. The whole damn area is shut down or shutting down. They have nothing here to put on the roads to unslick them. It's like ice water in hell. There is no salt in hell or in Florida to spread on the highways...Cj
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2014 :  20:54:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ: Talk about a rude awakening—but, "The sun will be out tomorrow" and you
can then wait for Atlanta or Birmingham to thaw out and unclog the highways.
So you have an excuse to stay a while longer in the Sunshine state.

I hope you do get some rays, if not to tan, to lift your spirits.

Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2014 :  15:02:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, ladies and germs, I moved the opposite direction, to Northern Minnesota. Last week it was -35 (just the temp) and -55 (with the wind chill). They cancelled just about everything, even the University closed, which it almost never does.

We've got a couple of feet of snow on the ground and keep getting a few inches at a time. I'm getting pretty sick of the snow and cold.

Glad to know the ol' region rats are still out there and tuning in to the forum. Thanks, and I'm sure we'll find interesting things to discuss in 2014.

Edited by - duane on 01/31/2014 15:02:47
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2014 :  05:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just out of curiosity, Duane, what would take you to that location?...Cj
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2014 :  01:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure. Took a job with the US Forest Service. It turned into a career...and here I am.
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2014 :  07:54:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While in Viet Nam, I would profess how I would never return to NWI permanently after my tour. Well, 40 years later I finally moved out. I guess the money talks and the BS walks...Cj
Go to Top of Page

Colonel

58 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  09:00:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duane, I usually only post on the Shepherd topics, but just saw you are with the US Forest Service. (Thanks for your public service, and thanks to seejay2 for your military service.) I have a home in suburban New Jersey, where we have been holding regulated deer hunts because of a vast overpopulation of white-tailed deer, with all the attendant issues, including the destruction of understory of local forests and parks (as well as deer-borne disease, plant/crop destruction and deer/vehicle collisions). However, there is a vocal minority of citizens speaking out against the "inhumane slaughter of innocent animals," when other effective and humane means of effective deer management exist and, in any event, other animals are often to blame for any such problems. Does the US Forest Service have a position on the foregoing issues and/or any relevant materials? Thanks much.
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  23:54:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This forum is not the venue to discuss deer herbivory, its impact on forest regeneration, or the methods for managing/reducing deer populations. I looked to PM you, but you have no contact info (email) listed in your profile on this forum.

That said, I suggest you contact your state DNR, as it is the state, not the federal govt. that administers hunting and deer population numbers.

Edited by - duane on 02/04/2014 00:01:09
Go to Top of Page

Colonel

58 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  09:31:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duane, the local anti-hunters will not accept anything coming from the state DNR (here, the NJ Department of Environmental Protection). They claim that the NJ DEP is merely an advocate for bloodthirsty hunters who use the regulated hunts as a cover for their "inhumane slaughter." Thanks, anyway. And Excelsior!

Edited by - Colonel on 02/06/2014 10:12:55
Go to Top of Page

Jay

148 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2014 :  11:35:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by duane

Well, ladies and germs, I moved the opposite direction, to Northern Minnesota. Last week it was -35 (just the temp) and -55 (with the wind chill). They cancelled just about everything, even the University closed, which it almost never does.

We've got a couple of feet of snow on the ground and keep getting a few inches at a time. I'm getting pretty sick of the snow and cold.

Glad to know the ol' region rats are still out there and tuning in to the forum. Thanks, and I'm sure we'll find interesting things to discuss in 2014.

Duane, you and I seem to think alike. I also moved north, but I didn't stop at the border. I'm a permanent resident of Canada now even though I hate winter and hockey.

My only connection with this thread is that I attended and graduated from Purdue Calumet, just a few blocks east of Magoun Avenue.
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2015 :  23:34:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today we celebrated the Magoun Ave. resident with the most senority, Mrs. Klish, who was 97 years young on the 12th. Attending a pizza party at the HOP were former and current neighbors: Jim Genovesi, Alan Molchan, Larry Rapchak, Jim Stewart, Bev Kush-Mains, Dawn & Little Stevie! I only hope to make it to 97!

#1 The Birthday girl! With her cake by Dawn!
#2 Larry, Jim Genovesi, Alan, Mrs. Klish, Bev, Jim Stewart & Little Stevie!
#3 Mrs. Klish holding a copy of the Times from a few weeks ago about her contribution to the war effort of building & testing tanks! Here's the link:
http://www.nwitimes.com/news/opinion/columnists/doug-ross/doug-ross-tanks-for-the-memories-as-in-sherman-tanks/article_9098379d-42b9-595f-9e24-aed00ff43766.html
#4 Mrs. Klish & her "boys" from the 'hood!

Edited by - Little Stevie on 08/16/2015 14:12:32
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2015 :  07:28:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holy Cow!! Somebody's alive out there!?!?!
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2015 :  13:04:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep! still alive! Just haven't had anything to post for a while!
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2015 :  17:01:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, still here. I'm just not checking as often as I should.
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2016 :  12:28:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvcogs

Yep, still here. I'm just not checking as often as I should.

Still alive and digging out. CJ how are you guys doing with your REAL, Honest to goodness SNOW?

All the news about London Kentucky makes me nostalgic for my childhood years of
6—12 when I lived there with aunts, uncles and cousins. The interstates may be a trucker's dream come true, but this kind of weather (and even rain) can make it a nightmare from which recovery is impossible.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page