HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2013 :  03:54:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve--

Congratulations---you just contributed the 800th post here on Magoun Ave
Memories!!

So here's No. 801---

Very few of the Serenade pics had dates on the back; some had the date that the photo was developed, and I
listed those when I could. Fall '48 would have to be right for the photo above, since the joint opened in Feb, '49.

Is that the old Swift factory on the left---clearly visible through the absence of trees or houses? It was
located just west of what would become the Woodmar Shopping Center.

Still remember the smell.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 08/28/2013 02:52:25
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2013 :  08:30:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HassoBenSoba

Steve--

Congratulations---you just contributed the 800th post here on Magoun Ave
Memories!!

So here's No. 801---

Very few of the Serenade pics had dates on the back; some had the date that the photo was developed, and I
listed those when I could. Fall '48 would have to be right for the photo above, since the joint opened in Feb, '49.

Is that the old Swift factory on the left---clearly visible through the absence of trees or houses? It was
located just west of what would become the Woodmar Shopping Center.

Still remember the smell.

LR

WOW!
I didn't even look to see the number of posts!
800! Me thinks that's pretty darn good for a thread!
And with MAM closing in on 55,000 "reads" it seems that life on Magoun was special!
With many out there "wishing" their youth could have been a part of it!
Or maybe it just reminds them of their own childhood in those great 50's/60's neighborhoods they grew up in!

And yes, I remember the "smell"! Always knew when the north wind blew that's fer sure!
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  03:27:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's an interesting shot from inside the SERENADE:

It's the ELECTRO-FREEZE, which I assume was used for making ice cream.

ROGER---- enlighten us, please!

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  10:51:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't remember this at all. It was either before my time or after.
Probably long before. Sorry.
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  14:39:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Edited by - S C Jones on 10/15/2013 14:31:06
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2013 :  18:02:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
S.C.--

Thanks for the research. So I guess we are looking at one of the very first soft-serve Ice-Cream machines,
since the Dukes built their first model in 1946, and the Serenade opened in 1949, when this pic would have been taken.

I guess by the time Roger worked at the Serenade, Karl and Al must have either replaced the contraption with
something else, or moved it a few doors south to their new MELODY ICE CREAM shop (which will be featured in another series of photos soon here on Sheptalk).

larry
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2013 :  23:42:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe this is the next photo
in the Serenade Saga!

A nice color photo just days before opening on Feb. 3rd, 1949!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 09/09/2013 23:43:42
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2013 :  00:27:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ummmm....Steve.....

I believe this photo was ALREADY POSTED! See previous page. (JEEZ...)

But since it's a good one, I think it should appear twice. The next post should be a candid photo of one of the
actual guys who designed and built the joint. Yes?

larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 09/10/2013 00:28:33
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2013 :  01:23:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh well . . . .
I figgerd we just needed to feel the chill in these hot days!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 09/10/2013 01:24:34
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2013 :  01:28:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the photo that is next in the "Serenade Saga"!
(I hope!)

This is the smiling face of Al Wright, co-owner, happily working at something!
I cannot say that I remember him. Carl, yes. Al no.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 09/11/2013 01:29:43
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2013 :  15:10:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roger--

Did you know Al Wright during your Serenade days? If so, what do you remember about him?

I bet he was the kind of guy who worked day and night to keep the place going. Looks like he's
messing with some sort of grilling device....either that or a bug-zapper.

Steve- BTW- I just discovered that the Winter shot of the Serenade
posted above is its THIRD appearance on this thread (the first is back on page 13).

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 09/13/2013 15:11:43
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2013 :  08:23:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I knew Al Wright, worked for him and Karl Fisher. He was a good man to work for, seemed to always have a smile on his face. He would always see that his employees had a ride home after work. Many times taking them home himself.
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2013 :  08:24:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe that in the picture above he was filling a chewing gum dispenser.
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2013 :  14:31:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HassoBenSoba

Roger--
Steve- BTW- I just discovered that the Winter shot of the Serenade
posted above is its THIRD appearance on this thread (the first is back on page 13).

Well Larry,
It just shows how you can't keep a good thing down!(?)
It's such a great photo, maybe we outta post it once a week!
LS
Go to Top of Page

Michelle K

1 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2013 :  21:23:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought this photo might be a nice addition to the "Magoun Memories". It was taken in front of my house (6936 Magoun). Klish's house is right there behind us and you can see a little of Beda's porch between Rod and Jim. Don't know that it's necessary, but names left to right are Steve Kush, Cy Beda, Rod Hlad, Jim Genovesi, Al Molchan, with me in front - Michelle "Mickey" Koval (Braxton now). There's no date on the picture, but I'm guessing it was in 1960 or 1961.

Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2013 :  21:39:30  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool picture, Michelle! Thanks for sharing!

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2013 :  09:49:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Michelle!
Welcome to the site!

You do remember Larry Rapchak and his family, don't you?

Wow! How about them "Kids from Magoun"?
Looks like you and Rod might be getting ready to go on a date? Nice dress and Rod in a coat and tie! Could this have been taken on a Sunday afternoon, after church, maybe? How awesome does the neighborhood look! Our green two tone, '55 dodge with the white roof is the car on the very far right, almost out of the picture.
Thanx for sharing "Mickey"!
Please add any other photos and memories of your/our days growing up on "Magoun".
It was "The Best of Times"

We'll be looking forward to your posts!
LS
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2013 :  14:09:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Larry,
Michelle states that this might be from '60 or '61.
Can you tell if any of the cars in the photo are your family's?
I'm thinking this is from after you moved,
which would be '62 or later, right?
Go to Top of Page

tommy51

35 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2013 :  16:13:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by S C Jones

Found this online

History (to give a perspective on the time Serenade could have installed this contraption)

In 1946, Henry C. Duke and his son, Gene, seized a great opportunity.
Owner's of a commercial laundry equipment repair company, they were asked to build an ice cream freezer for Dairy Queen. The pleasant result: the world’s first pressurized soft-serve ice cream freezer. Dairy Queen franchises soon began sprouting across the country, boosted by strong sales and outstanding profits from an exciting new dessert made possible by the Dukes’ machine.

H.C. Duke, In 1969, purchased Electro Freeze, expanding its reach outside of the Dairy Queen network.

Dairy Queen tells it this way:

The Dairy Queen story began with a father and son in Green River, Illinois, who had been experimenting with a soft frozen dairy product. They contacted a good friend and customer, Sherwood Dick "Sherb" Noble, who agreed to run a 10 cent "all you can eat" trial sale at his walk-in ice cream store in Kankakee, Illinois on August 4, 1938. Within two hours, he provided more than 1,600 servings of the new, unnamed, semi-frozen, "soft serve" dairy product formulated by his new business partner, J. F. McCullough..

At that time, existing freezers were too cold for this new dessert so in July, 1939, McCullough contacted Harry M. Oltz who had a machine that could generate the proper temperature for McCulloughís soft serve ice cream. †In an agreement between the two, McCullough was allowed to use the machines in his store, but gave Oltz a 12% profit from all ice cream made with the machine.† The Stoeling Brothers Co. agreed to manufacture the machine.
†††††††††††
While tweaking the ice cream recipe McCullough discovered that reducing the standard 10% butter fat to 5-6% tasted better.† He also found that the ice cream tasted better at 18 F.†

By June 22, 1940, McCullough (and co-owner Sherb Noble) was ready to open the first Dairy Queen store in Joliet, Illinois. It was named Dairy Queen, and the rest is soft-serve-franchise history.

This could mean that DQ parted ways with the Stoeling Brothers Co. by 1946...I dunno.

Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2013 :  21:52:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tommy--

Thanks for the background info on Dairy Queen and their soft-serve thing; all of this is helpful in documenting the
Serenade era.

MICHELLE!!!----

Boy, is it good to hear from you and see that terrific photo of the old 6900 block of Magoun; thanks so much
for posting it.

I imagine you've had a chance to read through some of the VOLUMES of stuff that Steve and I have posted over
the past few years; it's pretty much a chronicle/diary of that great time that we all experienced. You were the
same age as my younger sister Nancy, so you and I never had any personal encounters that I recall--
CONSIDER YOURSELF LUCKY, believe me....

I hope that you will contribute more, in terms of memories and photos, should you have any. You may also want
to check out the "Jefferson School" thread here on Sheptalk, which also contains a lot of cool stuff.

Re: the photo you posted: it's a little tough to date it exactly;
if you continue looking past Steve's green Dodge,
you see another greenish parked car (that probably belonged to our next-door-neighbor Sarah's parents);
the next car would be ours---and it looks like it might be black and white.

If so, that would be our '56 Chevy wagon, which we traded in for a new copper Chevy wagon in September of 1960;
that means the photo was taken in summer of '60.

HOWEVER---check the photo below, from early (Feb?) 1960, at the end of
a school day at Jefferson. There's Rod Hlad, Michelle, my sister Nancy (with one of those rare winter
horse-flys stuck in her eye), and Lil' Stevie himself.

So youse' guys figure it out----

Was Michelle's newly-posted photo taken 6 months later than this one, or a year and 6 months later?---
in which case the date would be summer of '61, and the black-and-white car in front
of our house a figment of my imagination.

In either case, us Rapchaks were still living at 6912, since we didn't move out 'til March of '62.

ALSO-- you may want to check the home-movie footage of Nancy's birthday party, Dec. 18th, 1960, You-Tube link,
posted on Sheptalk page 7,(12/15/2011); you clearly see Steve, Rod Hlad, AND Alan Molchan in this film.
(Sorry, Michelle---you probably were not invited to that long-ago party!)

I'd guess that the new photo was taken in summer of '61.
In any case, it's GREAT to see it!

Keep posting those great old Magoun memories.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 10/14/2013 20:08:42
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2013 :  22:34:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure,
but I think the photo above, was taken on my first day of school.
Being a Mid-termer, I'm guessing January of 1960. A month short of my 5th birthday.
Had they not held us Mid-termers back a semester in 2nd grade, I would have graduated at the age of 17, in January of 1973.
So I think Michelle's photo was the Summer of '61. A year and 6 months later.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 10/13/2013 22:35:51
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  23:09:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HERE HE IS!

KARL FISHER himself ~

A true American entrepreneur, the guy who conceived, designed and constructed the legendary
SERENADE DRIVE-IN.

Apparently, he also ran the joint in a very hands-on way.

Roger-- I bet this brings back memories.

LR
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  08:48:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This pic was before my time but I spent many hours in that grill area.
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  04:05:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roger--

But you knew and worked for Karl, right?
Did he hire you?

Just asking, as I am interested in what you remember.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  08:14:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Karl hired me. He and Al took turns being on 'sight'. One would open in the morning and be there until 4. Then the other would work til close and open the next am. that way they would be there every day but would have more or less 24 hours off at a time.
Allen Wright always did the payroll.
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  08:18:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They had different personalities, Karl was somewhat hard nosed while Al was more laid back. We never called them by there first names. It was always Mr. Wright and Mr. Fischer.
Go to Top of Page

MrRazz

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  12:42:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My dad was a "regular" there, when we first moved to Hammond, living in the Schliecher neighborhood just north of the Little Calumet. Remember going there for burgers...after being helped up on the stool, enjoyed the spin. Don't remember, Mr. Fisher, but do remember Mr. Wright...he was always very friendly, and I know my dad enjoyed visiting with him. After relocating to Hessville, don't remember going there as much.
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  14:20:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is an article written in the Hammond Times
by their "Girl Reporter" Edan Wright, published on August 25, 1951, detailing the experiences of working as a "Car Hop".
Not sure if her "Boss" was not also her father?

A darn good read!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 10/18/2013 19:39:49
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2013 :  19:25:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's another photo of a hard working Karl,

I'm sure Karl & Al treated this as their new "baby"!
Larry, maybe you or Roger can elaborate further on this one.
LS
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2013 :  21:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They were both concerned about taking care of their customers as all in retail business should be. It didn't make any difference wheather you were outside for curb service or inside at the counter they wanted you taken care of. That is why one of them was almost always there. Two cooks, two counter girls and two carhops during the week with three counter girls and three carhops on Friday and Saturday nights. They would help out at the counter or kitchen as needed. They made sure the carhops were not mistreated in any way.
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2013 :  22:37:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And from the looks of this photo, Karl and Al did it all when it came to keepin' the place running like
clockwork. No wonder the food was so good.

I'd love to be able to step back into this picture and see exactly what it was that made the food taste
so great--especially the burgers and chocolate shakes. Modern-day chains like Steak & Shake don't come
anywhere near what these two guys accomplished on their own at the Serenade.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 10/21/2013 22:39:31
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2013 :  07:28:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man!
I love to hear youse guyz memories about the Serenade!
I don't remember ever eating there, just going with Rod Hlad
for a glass of ice water after a strenuous morning
of baseball in his backyard!
LS
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2013 :  18:31:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is with
a heavy heart I post this:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/nwitimes/obituary.aspx?n=georgia-w-stewart&pid=167988640&fhid=24896

Mrs. Stewart was one of the kindest, gentlest people on this earth. Larry & I had the great fortune to spend time with her and Jim this past year. My condolences to Jim & Chris and the entire Stewart family. She will be missed but be in our hearts forever.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 11/15/2013 18:31:37
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2013 :  07:48:38  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
May God bless the Stewart family and comfort them in this time of loss.
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2013 :  07:57:43  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Was this the neighbor lady that you and Larry reminisced with and went out to eat with, Steve?
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2013 :  10:10:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tom J

Was this the neighbor lady that you and Larry reminisced with and went out to eat with, Steve?

Yes Tom, Georgia was one of them. Although there isn't a clear photo of her, it was at her home where we visited with her son,Jim and Mrs. Klish (the lady in the Halloween pics). Georgia was a member of the bunco club, is in that picture, but on the very left edge. You really can't see her. Either my sister or maybe Larry has a photo of her from our visit. She was sick then but seemed to be quite healthy. It is Georgia's "Rain King" sprinkler Larry posted the picture of. She will be sadly missed by all that knew her.
LS
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2013 :  19:40:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
`Mrs. Stewart is to be buried in Beaver Dam Ky. Tuesday. Beaver Dam is less than 30 miles from where Tom J. and I live.
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2013 :  20:48:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[

Just want to wish all here at
Sheptalk A very, merry Christmas 2013!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 08/16/2015 13:28:23
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2013 :  08:45:32  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Merry Christmas to you too, Steve!

Merry Christmas to ALL of my Region Rat buddies at Sheptalk!

Tom
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2013 :  09:57:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Merry 2013 Christmas to all Region Rats where ever they may be from one of us who got lost and ended up here in the hills of West Virginia.

Ken

Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2013 :  10:54:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A belated Merry Christmas to you guys or y'all. Seems like we are top heavy on the
southern side now that CJ and his family joined the Kentuckians.

Aww. Ken, a Charlie Brown tree, too!

Edited by - S C Jones on 12/26/2013 10:57:05
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2013 :  05:34:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...However, SC, we balanced out the load on the holidays for all y'all when we followed the bright star back to NWI for a few days.

We will tip the scales again though today, when we return to the commonwealth...Cj
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2013 :  11:00:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ, did you guys have a white Christmas?

Edited by - S C Jones on 12/27/2013 11:03:51
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2013 :  08:10:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Valpo? Yeah! And a cold one, too.
Glad to be back in Murray. 55 deg...Cj
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2013 :  07:43:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One more little tidbit...anyone interested in reviving "Johnson's Chicken" on Rt 6, now's your chance. The biker bar is shut down and the building is up for sale. Tom???
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2013 :  17:06:13  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Guess I'll pass, CJ. :)
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2014 :  12:03:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello? Anybody home? Did people make a New Year's resolution to abstain from this site?
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2014 :  17:46:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Duane!

Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder?

Or is it Absinthe that makes the heart grow fonder?

The temperature down here this winter is too reminiscent of NWI for my blood
and I got stopped by a looooong train today, so I had to at least check this site
to see if any Region Rats were commenting.

Sorry, I have nothing of substance to add.

Edited by - S C Jones on 01/28/2014 17:52:16
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2014 :  05:21:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still alive!...Cj
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2014 :  09:43:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still here. Temperature below zero this morning in WV, but I've not been stopped by any trains. I do check Shep once a day to see if anyone is out there.
Ken
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page