Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2012 :  23:26:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Tom....but you'll NEVER believe this one--

It's my ORIGINAL LETTER TO SANTA---asking the old boy for those very same gifts that my mom listed
in the book posted above--from December, 1957 (1st Grade).

My writing has improved a bit in the past 55 years, but not much. About 10 years ago, my mom gave me a box
that contained a bunch of our Santa letters from the good old days that she had saved; I couldn't believe it.
They went back as far as '57.

Larry

PS -- Note that mom added "USA" at the very bottom right, just to be sure....

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 12/22/2012 23:30:18
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2012 :  07:10:56  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Super, Lar! Thank God for sentimental moms.

That letter is priceless. It's great to have such a wonderful childhood to look back on, isn't it? I'm sure sorry for those who do not have the fond memories that we do, Larry.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2012 :  02:20:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom--

Yeah, it's great to still have these things around; they have a special significance at Christmas.

HERE'S ANOTHER PAGE from that '57 Christmas Club book. This one lists everybody
that my parents sent Christmas cards to. On Line 5 is John Coughlin, the Channel 2
weatherman for many years, and the voice of "Mr. Pegasus", the talking table on The Susan Show,
a '50's afternoon kiddie show which originated from Chicago's WBBM (does anyone remember THAT one??).

Then comes the Taylors (our next-door neighbors), then we skip a house and see the Beda's and...
lo and behold...there's the name Andy Kush, plain as day.

Hey, Steve....when you find that Christmas card from '57, how's about forkin' it over?

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 12/24/2012 04:28:56
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2012 :  19:16:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing! Again, Larry, you are Amazing!
The letter is just pure gold! And the gift/card book?
Incredible that your mom saved all of that!
I'll have the girls look through the cards we took when Mom passed in '92.
She saved cards from the beginning of time!

Hey!
I crazy thought just occurred to me!
With your "talents" why don't you put your MAM to music and lyrics? I'm sure you could come up with the next Christmas carol!
I know all here at Sheptalk would love to say they know the composer of next years new Christmas carol!!
We all enjoyed the videos on Youtube.
And I'm sure all here know the story of me viewing your last one which led to this very successful thread about our days on Magoun.
Who out there agrees with me? How about it Larry?
A Christmas carol reminiscing about the young, innocent, carefree days of a Magoun Ave. Christmas!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 12/24/2012 19:18:16
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2012 :  22:18:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE--

What an idea! But I think I would fail miserably; the potential for hoaky-ness is way too high. Maybe
if you would come up with a good set of lyrics, I could try to write the music....

MEANWHILE---

Here's how SANTA CAME THROUGH on that '57 Christmas letter; I
REALLY cleaned up that year!

The iconic MARX DINOSAUR PLAYSET ~

And the funky TOY STORE ~ Nancy was my first and only customer...

I'm sure this thing only survived a few months in our basement; other than Christmas day and this pic,
I have no memory of it whatsoever.

The Remco BIG MAX was also under the tree, but I never got a picture of it (though the "Big Max" I bought
at a Chicago resale shop in the '80's is visible in a couple of the above pics posted on this thread.

A MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

Larry R

Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2012 :  00:46:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, I would love to write the lyrics, however, I flunked Poetry in English and the music teacher at Jefferson,
Mrs. Bewley I believe her name was,
told me that I couldn't carry a note even if it had a handle on it!
As far as playing an instrument . . . well . . . we saw my "band career" photos a page or two back.
In fact, when I tried my hand at playing the piano, Mr. Balk said,
"They way you're hitting those keys . . . I'm surprised they don't hit back!"
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL HERE @ SHEPTALK!!!

Edited by - Little Stevie on 12/25/2012 00:47:29
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2012 :  16:26:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YES, IT's TRUE......

If you check the Dinosaur Playset Photo ABOVE, you will notice the Christmas STABLE below my arm.
BELOW is a new pic of the VERY SAME STABLE, which is now sitting within reach of where I am typing this e-mail---

My parents bought this stable set in the early '50's; it may even be older than I AM (if such a thing can be imagined).
The cardboard and paper-covered structure is still pretty much intact, as are all of the plastic figures.

In the '57 Dinosaur picture above, notice the two stable figures on the end---one of the three kings (orange robe)
and a white lamb. Now check the NEW photo, and you will see these two figures prominently placed on the
right side. Same ones.

ALSO: check the Dino set---I am holding a brontosaurus (yeah, Bill, I know it's really an apatosaurus
or something...), but directly UNDER the Bronto is the KRONOSAURUS, that looks like a sea-serpent.
Now check the NEW STABLE Pic and see who's hangin' out on the stable roof..... yep, it's the
VERY SAME Kronosaurus---not a replacement---still in my collection after 55 years.

KEN-- as I recall, the Christmas of '57 was a warm one; do you have access to the old newspaper file that
would give the actual weather/temperature from Christmas Eve and Christmas of '57?

Larry
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2012 :  18:37:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HassoBenSoba

KEN-- as I recall, the Christmas of '57 was a warm one; do you have access to the old newspaper file that
would give the actual weather/temperature from Christmas Eve and Christmas of '57?

Larry
Forecast from The Hammond Times, Tuesday, December 24, 1957: "Mostly fair tonight with low between 26 and 31 degrees. Wednesday fair and somewhat warmer with a high in the upper 40s. Sunset today, 4:25 p.m. Christmas sunrise, 7:16 a.m."

In the list of temperatures in the Thursday paper it appears that the high for Christmas day was 45 degrees at 4:00 p.m.

And the three star, 44 page Final edition of the Times sold for 7 cents.

That's all folks...

Ken

Edited by - wvcogs on 12/27/2012 18:45:45
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2012 :  21:15:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm....global warming back in '57???

And your photo of the cheche just shows that ALL God's creatures came to worship!

Edited by - duane on 12/27/2012 21:17:41
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2012 :  02:08:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duane--

The stable set-up actually includes some of the Miller wax Earth Invaders behind the camel on the left,
but I cropped them out of the photo. Yes, all critters were welcome on that big night long ago.

Ken---Thanks for the weather info. It's not like I'm THAT totally wrapped up in every
detail of my childhood Christmases. But I do remember the morning of Christmas Eve of '57, and that it
was bright and sunny and seemed to be too warm for Christmas.

What's funny is how every holiday back in those fabulous years seemed to be exactly right in terms
of weather; the Christmases always seemed to be cold with plenty of snow around for that great classic
"White Christmas" feel. But, when you go back and check the weather reports, you find that maybe
30% of Christmases back then actually had cold and snow.

The magic of childhood, I imagine.

LArry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 12/28/2012 02:11:56
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2012 :  15:37:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's what the siblings received for Christmas of 1957--Mike's Pom-Pom Gun by Remco, the
Stadium Checkers game (on the floor), and something or other that Nancy is fascinated with.

On the dining table in the background, there's a simple, 50's-style styrofoam Christmas tree (middle), a little
styrofoam snowman (right), and on the left--Nancy's favorite new present: a battery-operated Panda Bear
holding a PEPSI bottle and glass that he drank from. Yes, Steve---I'm POSITIVE it was PEPSI and not Coke!

IN FACT---in order to keep things cool around here, I've found
the proof~~~~ here's the "Nancy" listings from the '57 Christmas Club gift book:

4th LINE; "PEPSI Bear". The cost was $3, to which my mother added 60 cents in pencil (man,
was she precise or what?). Also, notice the other gifts listed, many of which are visible
in the photo above: a small table and chair set, a plastic gumball machine (on the table); I assume
that the "Think and Fit set" (whatever that is) is what Nancy is holding in the pic.

Can't remember what that "Frontier" box on the floor was; shame on me. But the booklet lists
"Cowboy Suit and Hat" for Mike (previous page on this thread)...and there's the hat.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 12/29/2012 16:10:23
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2012 :  17:50:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and something or other that Nancy is fascinated with

Larry,
It looks like the doll (can't read your mother's descriptive word before the word doll)
Dumphree or Humphree???

S C
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2012 :  22:36:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

On Line 5 is John Coughlin, the Channel 2 weatherman for many years, and the voice of "Mr. Pegasus", the talking table on The Susan Show,
a '50's afternoon kiddie show which originated from Chicago's WBBM (does anyone remember THAT one??).

D'you mean as in "Take me home, flying friend, take me home!" ?

And the chair would slowly fly through the air with the girl on it?

Odd that I watched it ... since at that time I still didn't like girls.

Bill

Warren G. Harding Class of '63
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2012 :  01:22:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by S C Jones

and something or other that Nancy is fascinated with

Larry,
It looks like the doll (can't read your mother's descriptive word before the word doll)
Dumphree or Humphree???
S C

SC--

Odd that you noticed that; it was a DUNGAREE Doll--a fairly large doll with a '50's-style pony tail,
striped T-shirt and light Blue Jeans (or "Dungarees"). In the picture, the doll was lying on the small
table in the background, and you can actually see its head right next to Mike's head.

I just discussed this the other night with Nancy; as a kid, she had a number of dolls that she liked,
but she said she HATED the Dungaree Doll.

BILL-- Yes, that's the show. When Susan wanted to show a cartoon, she turned on
a big (fake) machine that had a big lever that she moved back and forth (that's where I first saw the old
Fleisher POPEYE cartoons). I saw an ancient kinescope of an episode of "Susie's Show" about 10 years ago;
her real name was Susan Heinkel, and she had a terrier named Rusty. The show originated in Chicago,
and actually was picked up by the CBS network for a few years.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 12/30/2012 01:25:02
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2012 :  00:32:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

BILL-- Yes, that's the show. When Susan wanted to show a cartoon, she turned on
a big (fake) machine that had a big lever that she moved back and forth (that's where I first saw the old
Fleisher POPEYE cartoons). I saw an ancient kinescope of an episode of "Susie's Show" about 10 years ago;
her real name was Susan Heinkel, and she had a terrier named Rusty. The show originated in Chicago,
and actually was picked up by the CBS network for a few years.

Larry

Thanks for the name of the show!

From http://www.ebay.com/itm/Susan-Heinkel-Susies-Show-star-1957-4x5-PHOTO-NEG-/290774796583 :

"This is an original large-format (4"x5") acetate negative of Susan Heinkel, host and star of CBS TV's, "Susie's Show", on September 18, 1957. The modes of transportation were different, but the ideas were essentially the same. Like Alice and Dorothy before her, Susan was a young and curious girl who, by way of a magic chair in her kitchen, traveled to the mystical land of Wonderville with her loyal terrier Rusty by her side. In this magical world, Susan encountered a host of imaginative creatures, including a talking stove and the Foolish Forest Orchestra, whose puppet band members included violinist Wolfgang the bear, flautist Gregory the bunny, and conductor Caesar the penguin. Also in Wonderville was the Cartoon-a-Machine, which would spew out old Terrytoons when it was operated by the reticent troll Mr. Pegasus. The show's host, Susan Heinkel, was a twelve-year-old girl who was discovered at the age of three in a St. Louis Christmas pageant. Each week, she would perform on a stage full of oversized props designed to make her look smaller. Originally titled Susies Show, the program appeared on local Chicago TV before being picked up by CBS a year later and going through a maturing title change to Susans Show. Though Dorothy returned to Kansas and Alice went on to peer through the Looking Glass, Heinkel simply went to high school when her adventure days were over."

Bill

Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2012 :  09:30:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will take this time to wish all a HAPPY NEW YEAR!! Please be safe as you bring in 2013. Remember those whom we lost in 2012.
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2012 :  17:46:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Also in Wonderville was the Cartoon-a-Machine, which would spew out old Terrytoons when it was operated by the reticent troll Mr. Pegasus.

"Reticent troll", eh....?
Mr. Pegasus was a talking table. The table-top was rounded, and had a
little flower pot in the middle. The drawer of the table served as the mouth which opened and closed as
beloved weatherman John Coughlin recited Pegasus' dialogue.

Another earth-shattering factoid available only on Sheptalk.

ROGER--- A Happy New year to you, too.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2012 :  18:09:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HEY, BILL---

Here's Susie herself ('57) on the set of her show, complete with her
Wonderville Orchestra AND:MR. PEGASUS, the talking table on the right.

Here she is with her terrier Rusty, Mr. Pegasus in the foreground AND the giant cardboard
cartoon machine in the back of her.

These are LIFE Magazine photos that I found on Google.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 12/31/2012 18:10:08
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2013 :  21:55:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. There are 3 clips of the show on YouTube. Below is a link to the first one.

From http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-307347.html :

"There's the first few minutes of an episode on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i08fCLurn-g

"The complete episode (in slightly better video quality) can be seen at http://archives.museum.tv/ . Free registration is required for access and searching, which is the only way to find the show. The video format is Windows Media.

"Also, LIFE Magazine did an article on her. Over 150 photos, including many behind-the-scenes shots and a few in color, can be found with this Google image search: http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&biw=1024&bih=608&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=%22susan+heinkel%22+source%3Alife&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq= "

While on YouTube, I also found what purports to be the only surviving clip of Shock Theatre (with Orville and Shorty). Don't have the URL handy, but search for "Shock Theatre Chicago" and it shouldn't be hard to find.

There's a book on Shock Theatre, for sale at http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/book-2.php?id=978-0-7864-6805-8 :

"From December 1957 through October 1959, Chicago TV viewers were held in thrall by "Marvin," the ghoulishly hilarious host of WBKB-TV's late-night horror film series Shock Theatre. Marvin and his lady friend "Dear" (her face ever hidden from the camera) introduced thousands of Chicagoland youngsters to such classic Universal chillers as Frankenstein, Dracula and The Wolf Man. This history of Shock Theatre focuses on the series and its creator, Marvin himself--in real life, the multi-talented Terry Bennett, whose wife Joy played "Dear." Included are dozens of photos and vintage advertisement reproductions, as well as two appendices featuring a resume of Terry Bennett's career and a list of films telecast during his two-year Shock Theatre run. "

Bill

Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2013 :  03:28:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a close-up of two names from the Rapchak's 1957 Christmas Club booklet (from the above posts),
that listed the folks we sent Christmas cards to. The first is my Uncle Harold, my mother's brother.
The second is obviously a German name--Werner Krauskopf--- and therein lies a story.

Werner fought for Adolf Hitler's Army in WWII. But it seems that he was taken prisoner by the
American army and was interred in a U.S. POW camp near Coloma, Michigan. Luckily for him, he and his
fellow captives were under the supervision of a certain staff sargeant named Mike Rapchak.

My father treated the Germans well, and developed a friendship with Krauskopf, occasionally putting in
requsitions for extra blankets, medicine, etc for him. On Christmas Eve, 1944, the Germans asked my dad
to come into their barracks, where they had set up a small Christmas tree around their stove (which my dad
allowed them to do). They sat around the tree and sang Stille Nacht ("Silent Night") to him in their native
German. My dad talked about this event for the rest of his life.

After the war, Werner returned to German civilian life, and began to raise a family. But he and my dad
remained in contact, sending each other's families a Christmas card every year 'til the day my dad died in 1996.

Here is the Werner Krauskopf Christmas card to my family from 1958--

In October of 2012, I answered the phone one Sunday morning, and there, from across the Atlantic
(and across the decades) was the voice of Mr. Krauskopf introducing himself to me (he's now about 90 years old).
Can you imagine that---actually speaking with a former soldier of the Nazi army in the fall of 2012?
It was pretty astounding. Werner was calling because his grandaughter was then on an exchange program
with a family in Chicago, and wanted to know if I would contact her and maybe go into the city and meet her.
I e-mailed the young lady, but she only responded when she was back in Germany. Apparently the idea of
spending time with some strange, middle-aged dude (me) didn't appeal to her--even if my dad had treated
her Grandfather very kindly when he was a POW back in '44. Not that I blame her, though....

But it was great to finally speak with Herr Krauskopf after all of this time, especially considering how
important his friendship had been to my father.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/02/2013 00:53:02
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2013 :  10:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for sharing that story, Larry.
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2013 :  11:20:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great story Larry, we never know how our attitude toward others will affect them for years to come.
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2013 :  19:22:18  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What a WONDERFUL story, Lar!

I know you have to be proud of your dad for being so kind to those prisoners. They were not monsters, just kids who were doing what they thought was their duty to their country.

Thank you for sharing this with us!

Tom
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2013 :  02:10:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a recent photo of Werner Krauskopf and his wife (see 'em above in 1958) that he sent to my sister Nancy.

Werner continues to refer to himself as "Curly Head", since that's the German translation of his last name.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/02/2013 00:37:50
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2013 :  00:49:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AND WHILE WE'RE ON THE TOPIC.....

Here's my military-dude Dad during the War; no inscription of the photo, but I assume this is at the camp in Michigan.

What a guy.

And here he is a decade later, at Radio Station WAAF in Chicago -

I never saw this pic until this past Fall, when Werner Krauskopf e-mailed it to me.

LR
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2013 :  11:50:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Socks drying on the railing. Barracks remind me of those depicted in many movies of the war years.

Nice looking man, your father. And from the stories you related, a good man,
too.

Edited by - S C Jones on 02/02/2013 11:56:46
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  02:00:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
S.C.--

Thanks for your kind comments.

What's fascinating is the fact that EVERYONE in our age-range grew up in a world that was still very
similar to the WWII era; when I first began to be aware of things around me, the world essentially still
looked and felt pretty much the way it did during the War years. And my dad carried that first-hand
experience with him and passed it on to us.

Case in point -

If you check the '57 Christmas Club booklet posted on the previous page, you see that Mike received a
"soldier kit" from our cousin Rick, who lived in California. It was a great set of tiny, plastic
WWII Military soldiers made by the REVELL model company. Here's what the box looked like:

(This is NOT our original, but a set I bought from a collector about 20 years ago).

We were so excited by this kit that my dad immediately bought ME a duplicate set at a little hobby shop
in Chicago close to the WAAF radio station.

My dad would then help us paint the figures and glue them to their bases. But the real cool thing were
the stories he would tell us about the weapons and equipment that the figures were holding and operating:
bazooka, mortar gun, machine gun, flame thrower, mine-sweeper, etc. I was totally fascinated.

This was in January of 1958, probably the peak period of my childhood years. Ultimately, the soldiers
all got trashed and forgotten. But the connection with my dad and that mythical WWII era remained
(and remains) strong...even though the war was before my time.

NOTE--- this particular set of soldiers by Revell is very rare; the set in the photo above
cost me only $20, because the soldiers were mostly broken up; the main reason I bought it was
because of the box/artwork.

A few years ago, I came across a MINT SET of these same soliders on E-BAY.
The set was complete---all of the pieces were still attached to their
plastic "trees", the instructions were included, etc. I was thrilled! But then the bidding started in earnest.

In the final few minutes of bidding, I bailed out when the price went over $100. I forget what the
final price was. But in the aftermath of the bidding, I found out that the guy who was selling the set
lived in MUNSTER, INDIANA! Damn! If I had known, I would have gone
to the guy's house and tried to talk him into selling me the set before he put it up for auction.

Maybe next time.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/05/2013 02:02:12
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  13:31:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,

That picture, with the figures in the background looks like a boy's --uh, excuse me,
a man's-- toy timeline. If you have any of the soldiers they belong somewhere between the Creche figures and the monsters and aliens.

Also, brings to mind a back room of a museum--the room where the figures are kept until it is their turn to be displayed.

I am sure in your mind each of those sets are accompanied by specific music, since your professional life is musical direction. Surely, you can produce a video with each of those sets of figures and the appropriate music to bring them to life.

Come on, give us another sample of your ingenuity.

SC
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  03:17:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SC--

Hmmmmm..... that's a tall order.

Last I checked, I have officially retired from making videos...but I'll give your idea some thought.

Also-- re: your nice comments on my dad's photos above---he always
said: "I've got the perfect face for radio."

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2013 :  17:28:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry sent a photo to me that he took on our first visit
back to the 'hood a year ago August, that he's wanted me to post.
But first, here's a photo of my sister Carolyn, posing on a little white table that our great-Uncle Barney made for her.
It was part of a set he made consisting of the table and two chairs.

This photo is from the summer of '54 or earlier in that year.
There isn't a picture of the set together but one of the chairs can be seen in a Thanksgiving photo earlier in this thread.

Anyway, when we visited the house I grew up in, that my cousin now owns, we discovered something in the basement.
And here it is!

Yep! The same table! Sometime later!
My mother removed the decals that were originally on it and put
"Western" decals on the four corners for Little Stevie when he was wantin' to be cowboy back in the late 50's.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 02/12/2013 17:39:51
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2013 :  00:06:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long back as I can remember
both of my sisters took dancing lessons at
Ann Marie's School of Dance in East Chicago.
Tap, Ballet and all other forms of dancing back then. How do I remember these lessons so well?
Little Stevie was dragged to each and every one of those lessons.
I guess Carol always aspired to become a famous dancer,
like the one pictured here:

However, after all those lessons, all those years, here's the most famous "stage" I've known her to dance on:

In the Whiting Pierogi Fest Parade!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 02/13/2013 09:00:46
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2013 :  01:56:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve--

Here's a much BIGGER version of the pic I took 2 years ago of your 50's white table that Carolyn used
for her dance pedestal in the photo above.

So the Western decals weren't there originally?
Also--is that your artwork drawn on the table?

And while I'm at it----

Where in your house was the pic of Carolyn on the table taken? I'm wondering about that narrow doorway in
back of her with the shower curtain.

The very "leggy" dancer in the B&W photo looks like the late Ann Miller.

And yes, all roads lead to Whiting.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/16/2013 02:09:39
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2013 :  23:04:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,
thanx for enlarging the picture. I tried but it became too pixelated.
No, those were not the original decals on the table. I have vague memories of Mom "helping" me put the western ones on.
Just as I had vague memories of the encounter with Nancy in the closet.
I believe the "drawing in the lower right hand corner, is a self portrait of Little Stevie back then in those innocent, care free days on Magoun.
The photo of Carol was taken in the house they lived before the move in Sept. of '54.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 02/16/2013 23:05:32
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  17:33:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This post could go on the "Slot car" forum
but since it involves some MAM characters, I'll post it here.
I spent today with (1) An old classmate from Gavit, Dave Jamrose. (2) A MAM'er who still reside on Magoun, Alan Molchan and (3) the "Thomas Edison" of our block, Jim Genovesi!
Jim called last night wondering if I'd like to attend the Midwest Slot Car Meet at the Lincoln Center in Highland with Dave, Al and himself,
since I was an avid slot car fan back in those days on Magoun.
We met for breakfast at Top Notch Restaurant before heading to the meet.
My Strombecker race set is still in the crawl space here in St. John, not having seen the light of day in over 25+ years. Dave, Al and Jim have kept their slot racing days alive in the HO scale.
While walking past the many tables what do I see but the same set I have in the original box, leaning up against the wall.
We reminisced about many of the memories I've posted here on Sheptalk and I'm hoping they will contribute with the fond memories they have of growing up in our 'hood.
Actually, Al may have to "rebuttal" or "clarify" some of the facts I've stated in some of my past memories.
It was a great day with old friends. Especially since we all agreed that everyone else is getting older . . . but not us.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 03/17/2013 17:35:02
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2013 :  04:10:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve--

Glad to hear you had a good time with some of the old Boyz From The Hood today. I am interested in Alan
Molchan's forthcoming comments; do you mean to tell me that there may be some inaccuracies in the
stories you have posted here?! For shame.

In the meantime--and since Spring is right around the corner-- here's the next vintage photo from
the classic SERENADE Drive-In...especially interesting since it was taken from the
inside (looking east onto Indy Blvd--notice the apartments on 169th) as the lettering on the outside sign
was being changed.

The hand-written sign on the window reads TRY A POOR BOY SANDWICH. Sure wish I could go back there and do that.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 03/19/2013 05:11:44
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2013 :  21:05:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Larry,
I wouldn't say "inaccuracies". Maybe just a little embellishing by Little Stevie. Remember . . . LS wasn't really sure about that romantic interlude in the closet with ahh. . . some one's little sister until said little sister confirmed it inna fone call.

Al seemed to agree with most of the stories we talked about. We'll see if he has anything to say after reading MAM!
Jim was sure some of the "stories" were slightly tilted to Little Stevie's way of remembering.
LS
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2013 :  12:24:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Summer approaches,
here's the next photo from the "Serenade" collection.

Taken from a new construction rooftop, this is looking north.
One noticeable feature in this photo is the WJOB radio broadcasting tower in the upper right.
I can remember listening to WJOB on snowy mornings, hoping to hear that school was canceled for the kiddies who went to Jefferson!

That tower was and still may be the tallest structure in NW Indiana.

I do not remember the building that is being built.
But I know Larry has mentioned it here many times,
so I'll ask him to give us the narrative on it.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 04/02/2013 12:30:35
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2013 :  09:30:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the early 60s the building housed a dry cleaners. This building and the one south of it was owned by the owners of the Serenade.
These buildings housed aeveral different business's over the years.
A trophy shop, an Allstate ins. office and the state license bureau to name a few.
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2013 :  17:16:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I seem to remember the state employment office being in that building. I had a friend that worked there and onec in a while I stopped in to say "Hi". Tom W
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  07:43:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I remember that building well. When J&L laid us off for 6 months, every week I had to stand in an endless line for hours to get unemployment comp. That was before things went online...Cj
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2013 :  02:45:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THIS IS ONE OF THE GREAT SHOTS from the SERENADE collection; it was taken in the
Summer of 1951. The original is in color, but it's so faded that this b&w looks better.

The fruit market building that was located just north of the Serenade (visible in our earlier pics)
is now gone, and Kelly's Drive-In will ultimately occupy the lot. I am also interested in that
large 2 (or 3?) story building north of 169th St, just beyond the Standard Station; I wonder if that's
the same building that housed the Arrow Hardware Store, etc in the late '50's? It sure looks bigger than
I remember it (it's still there today).

Roger is correct; this shot was taken from the roof of MELODY ICE CREAM, a sort of fore-runner of Dairy Queen
that was owned and built by Karl Fisher and Al Wright---the same guys who designed and built the SERENADE.
Why they decided to go into competition with THEMSELVES is anyone's guess.

Steve and I have a set of Melody Ice Cream photos, which we will be posting this summer (since we've almost
run out of Serenade pics).

Roger is also right re: the fact that the building housed a number of other businesses, once Melody closed.
We have a couple of those shots in our collection as well, which we will post. I definitely remember the
Dry Cleaners, which was up and running in early 1959.

I remember the Unemployment Office also; we'll have to check the old directories to see where it was housed
in the 1960's. But in the late 1970's, it was housed in the structure which was built ON THE VERY SPOT
the Serenade was on. The Fishers closed and demolished the Serenade in 1964, the new building
went up, and Foster's Music of Woodmar opened in there in '65. By the late 70's, the Unemployment
office had taken over the space.

Recently, St Catherine's Hospital operated a medical services office at the former
Serenade/Foster/Unemployment address, but they moved out in December, 2011. The space remains empty
to this day, much to the annoyance of Betty Fisher, Karl's widow.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 04/13/2013 02:54:21
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  22:03:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't believe
it's been almost 2 years since Larry started the MAM thread!
I know he's been very busy this summer and hasn't been able to post.
I have no excuse. . . 'cept that this summer has been a strange one! My wife was ill most of May, then after our fishing trip to Minnesota, she finds out she would be losing her job at Mittal in July!
Larry and I have been having trouble posting photos. I cannot download any to "Photobucket" since they changed their system.

Hopefully, we'll be posting more of the Serenade pic soon!
Hope all is well with everyone here at Sheptalk!
LS
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2013 :  08:11:41  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
LS, under Help in Photobucket you can contact them and tell them of the difficulty you are having. I was having the same problem and after telling them what it was or wasn't doing and letting them know the operating system and browser that I used, they came back and said they no longer support Opera browser which I was using for years. I changed bringing Photobucket uo my Chrome browser and all works fine.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2013 :  15:37:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BobK

LS, under Help in Photobucket you can contact them and tell them of the difficulty you are having. I was having the same problem and after telling them what it was or wasn't doing and letting them know the operating system and browser that I used, they came back and said they no longer support Opera browser which I was using for years. I changed bringing Photobucket uo my Chrome browser and all works fine.

Bob

Thanx Bob!
I'll have to give that a try!
LS
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2013 :  18:37:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well,
I'm going to try posting what I believe to be the next photo in the Serenade Saga.
So here goes:

Success!!
Changed to Google Chrome as my browser and was able to upload and copy/paste the IMG/url!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 08/20/2013 22:07:36
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2013 :  00:07:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve--

FABULOUS!!!

The "re-tooling" of the Photobucket site was something I just didn't want to deal with; now that you've got
it figured out, we will continue to post our SERENADE photo treasures.

THIS IS A GREAT PIC. Probably the summer of '49 or '50. Check out the cars.

I wonder if there's anyone around who might recognize any of these three young guys, proud employees
of the legendary SERENADE?

Send your cards and letters to "Magoun Ave Memories", c/o Sheptalk.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 08/21/2013 00:08:23
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2013 :  02:25:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HERE's ANOTHER REAL CLASSIC---
The great SERENADE DRIVE-IN shortly before its grand opening in Feburary, 1949.

Looks pretty lonely and dreary; why would anyone open an outdoor-style drive-in in the dead of winter?
(looks like smoke from the old Swift factory in the distance on the right).

A great photo to be able to display to the world.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 08/24/2013 02:28:11
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2013 :  07:26:20  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool! Glad this thread has become active again.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2013 :  15:56:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Looks pretty lonely and dreary; why would anyone open an outdoor-style drive-in in the dead of winter?
(looks like smoke from the old Swift factory in the distance on the right).

A great photo to be able to display to the world.

LR

That's easy Larry!
ALL good things begin on Feb. 3rd!!!
Whether it be the Serenade opening in '49 or the arrival of LS six years later!!
On the same day your dad did a live radio show!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 08/24/2013 15:57:36
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2013 :  22:12:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're kind of in a "retrograde"
mode with the Serenade photos here.
As you can see, this photo is one of the "construction phase" of the Serenade

Looking north with plenty of sand from the ancient High Tolleston Shoreline having been unearthed.
Larry, I'm guessing the fall of '48, but maybe you can put a date on the photo.
(Way before LS's time! )
LS
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page