Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2012 :  21:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. Interesting site.
Personally, I like to see the old cars restored stock.
When people customize them, by chopping and changing the sheet metal, I actually think it ruins them.

I know to each his own, but for me the most beautiful cars are the ones that look just like they drove off the showroom.
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2012 :  01:22:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to everyone who has been following this thread; it's a real pleasure to be able to keep the
great old memories alive here, and share some of the family photos and stories with youse' guys;
the more time that passes, the more distant all of this stuff becomes..so it's nice to have it
out in cyberspace.

And since I see we've just turned over PAGE 15 of this thread, here's a series of pics
that my dad took in the summer of 1958, when my parents decided that
6912 Magoun was no longer big enough for the Rapchak clan. My brother Philip would be born in October,
so it was time to expand the joint back by adding a new bedroom and kitchen in the back.

Here's the "Before" shot; the workman on the left was my Aunt Flo's brother (see the previous "Serenade"
pic), "Chick" Krupinski, who almost single-handedly built the entire addition with my dad.

Here's the job about midway through (well...I guess Chick and my dad probably had some extra help).
My mom is doin' the Better Homes 'n Garden routine by posing in the window opening.

There's a story about that board that's serving as a "gangplank" through the back door. Sometime after
this pic was taken, the board was moved over to the window where my mom is sitting in the photo, with
one end up in the window and the other on the ground. So Mike had a brilliant idea: he entered the
structure, climbed through the window opening and sat on the board, thinking he could use it like a slide.

So he's inching himself down the board on his butt when the thing split in two, sending him crashing
down onto the sand, a big puff of dirt rising around him. I was sure he was maimed, but he just lay there
laughing like a goon, so I joined in. I think my dad came tearin' out the kitchen door to see what had
happened, and once he found that Mike was ok, probably went right back in, shaking his head as if to ask
"why me?"

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 08/16/2012 01:26:32
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2012 :  18:52:09  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by duane

Thanks. Interesting site.
Personally, I like to see the old cars restored stock.
When people customize them, by chopping and changing the sheet metal, I actually think it ruins them.

I know to each his own, but for me the most beautiful cars are the ones that look just like they drove off the showroom.

AMEN!

The closer to stock the better. Original interior, original exterior color, original engines and transmissions, original everything.

Tomster
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2012 :  19:26:09  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lar:

Thanks for sharing the latest pics.

It looks like the back door is still functional in those pictures but the floor level of the addition is about halfway up that door. At some point the door would have to be removed and a new one installed, right?

Tom
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2012 :  04:47:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TOM--

Yes, the original back door was removed; in fact, the entire original BACK WALL was demolished,
to open things up into the new kitchen/bedroom space. So you entered the new back door, walked across
the new kitchen floor, which led you directly to the basement stairs. Pretty clever design.

Anyway, here's the "AFTER" picture of the series, with the job completed; the addition of the
happy kiddies creates the perfect image of the late '50's suburban dream home....

EXCEPT THAT------
if you look closely, you see that
Mike (standing on the porch on the left) was engaged in his typical monkey-shines just as the
shutter clicked. (I tried to crop and enlarge his image, but it blurred too much).

Nice goin', man...way to ruin a good picture.

Below is a photo of the same corner of the room addition (as seen above), taken in August, 2011.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 08/17/2012 04:48:25
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2012 :  13:21:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems to me that
Nancy is doing her best "Annie Oakley" imitation!
She's pointing a gun at the camera, right?
Guess I should have been happy with just a face full of dirt!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 08/17/2012 13:23:29
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2012 :  20:33:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve--

She might actually be pointing a gun; I only noticed it last night when I posted this pic.

If I send you this photo, do you have any way to crop and enlarge my distinguished brother's face so
that it doesn't "pixilate" too much?

It's a classic that's worth immortalizing.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  00:04:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HassoBenSoba

Steve--

She might actually be pointing a gun; I only noticed it last night when I posted this pic.

If I send you this photo, do you have any way to crop and enlarge my distinguished brother's face so
that it doesn't "pixilate" too much?

It's a classic that's worth immortalizing.

Larry

You mean like this?

That's about as good as I can get it Larry.
What's with kids anyway? Ask 'em to "SMiLE" for a picture and they do the above.
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  13:58:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now it looks like one of those grainy National Enquirer pics...or maybe an FBI file photo:

"Bigfoot, Jr. sighted on Magoun Avenue, July, 1958" (right alongside the "Roswell, New Mexico" files).

And---what's this?-- Bigfoot's got an accomplice.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 08/20/2012 14:39:26
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2012 :  22:36:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here we have
an indoor photo of that oasis on the Boulevard.

This looks to be a picture of the north side of the counter.
I've tried to bring back the color of these photos but they are pretty well faded, so I'm posting them in B&W.
LS
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  09:24:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes that is the north side counter. Just to the right is the door going outside, straight ahead you go through that door and to the left is the kitchen area. Through the door and just to the right is the rear door and the stairs to the basement where Al Wright had his office desk, a dressing area for the waitresses, the main kitchen and storage areas.
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  15:44:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Roger D

Yes that is the north side counter. Just to the right is the door going outside, straight ahead you go through that door and to the left is the kitchen area. Through the door and just to the right is the rear door and the stairs to the basement where Al Wright had his office desk, a dressing area for the waitresses, the main kitchen and storage areas.

Very Cool Roger, Very Cool!
Thanx for the information! Rod Hlad & I would sit at the counter asking for a glass of ice water after an afternoon of wiffle ball in his backyard!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 08/23/2012 15:44:23
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2012 :  03:02:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roger--

It's really great to have your input here, since you actually worked at the Serenade and obviously remember
it well. We'll be posting some more pics of the interior, so please fill us in wherever you can with any
details you recall. It really adds a dimension to this whole project that only YOU can provide.

Steve....I think you should also post the color version of this pic (in addition to the b&w, that is). Yeah,
it's faded...but I think the funky 50's color scheme of the interior is something that our readers should see;
it's especially obvious in the next pic we will post.

I was also involved in the "free water" scam; in fact, the only time I can remember actually being INSIDE
the Serenade was (I think) the summer of '59; late morning on a nice HOT summer day. Mike and I walked
into the joint, sat on the bar stools you see in this pic, and asked for two cups of water; they were served in
those white, triangular paper cups in the dull chrome holders. When we had finished, we asked for a
re-fill, to which the waitress replied "Are you two going to buy anything?", which sent Mike and me
flying out the door.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 08/25/2012 03:02:58
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2012 :  16:43:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another great night @
the HOP last night with Larry, Mrs. Klish, Georgia and Jim Stewart!
Afterwards, we went to the Stewart's to look at old photos they had found in their albums of the 'hood from the 50' & 60's soon to be posted here!
Here's the best color enhanced photo of the interior I could achieve

LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2012 :  03:57:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve--

It's GOOD! At least we get a good idea of the funky-freaky tropical-inspired 40's design of the Serenade's
interior; that ketchup bottle actually looks red, so that we can gauge the rest of the colors for their accuracy.

Yeah, another excellent evening last night, at the unbeatable House of Pizza. Wonderful, relaxing time
afterwards at Georgia Stewart's home...which still has that great old comfy, secure feeling of Magoun
Avenue in the 50's.

And how about Mrs Klish---sharp as a tack, having just turned 94 last Saturday!

Last time we saw a pic related to Mrs Klish, it was the 7/24 posting
on the previous page that showed her original
RAIN KING lawn sprinkler. So I'm scrolling through Sheptalk last night with Jim Stewart (Georgia's son),
and when he saw the post with the Rain King, he said "we still have OURS from the 1950's!"
So he goes out onto the back porch...and sure enough....here it is, with Mrs. Klish's 7/24 picture
(on page 14 of Magoun Ave Memories) on the laptop in the background.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 08/27/2012 04:46:14
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2012 :  18:36:38  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Too cool! I think EVERYONE had one of those things back in the day. I know we did but Lord only knows where it is now.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  03:53:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IN HONOR of LABOR DAY----

Here's one of our lovely Serenade gals, probably on her break, and surrounded by that cool late-40's tropical decor -

Roger---I imagine she was "before your time" so she will probably remain unidentified. But here she is,
preserved in time (the original photo was developed in October, 1951).

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 09/03/2012 03:54:44
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  19:46:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was at the Serenade in '61 & early '62. Then at The Big Wheel from mid '62 until I was laid off in Dec. of '62. The manager had to cut back and it was either me, in high school, or a kid just starting college. The manager figured the college kid needed the job worse than I did.
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  22:09:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,
I'm guessing it's before a day's opening in the morning.
Looks like she starts her day with
a cup of coffee & a cake donut with chocolate icing!
And who didn't have that type of salt shaker & sugar container back then?
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 09/03/2012 22:11:11
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2012 :  17:24:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the next photo
from the Serenade collection:

This looks to be the north side entrance.
Was the term "Carhop" being used in the forties?
Or did it come later when drive-ins became more popular?

Probably the most efficient spot for a garbage
can but not what you think you'd want to see
on your way in to the eatery.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 09/16/2012 17:26:55
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2012 :  20:10:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was the main entrance, east side facing Indpls. Blvd.
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  22:31:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My late brother Mike, who introduced me to Sheptalk (under his user name "Pro2am"), was born on October 12, 1949.
So it's natural that I think of him around this time of the year.

Here's a photo taken on Mike's 5th birthday, 10/12/54-- about three weeks after we had moved into 6912 Magoun.
That's me in the plaid pants and suspenders, looking dazed and confused over the box of dominoes
that I received as a booby prize for Mike's big day.

Mike's main present was a junior Tool Box (dark green metal), that came with with a set of mini-tools. You can see
that he is holding the saw:

The item that I remember most from this set was the PUTTY KNIFE, which had a pinkish-red wooden handle.

And HERE IT IS---yep, the very same one...still in my possession to this day:

It's the single tool that I have used the most over the years, and this pic was taken this afternoon (10/6/12),
almost 58 years to the day that Mike received it for his birthday.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 09/03/2013 03:16:35
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2012 :  07:06:07  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wish we still had Mike with us. He and I had just become good cyber friends when he left us. We shared an interest in trains and I know we would have eventually gotten together for some trainspotting.

It's really cool that you still have that putty knife. I know you must think of Mike every time you use it. It's really pretty amazing that you still have that after 58 years!

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2012 :  13:50:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,
How is it that you were able to have possession of that knife all these years? With or W/O Mike's knowledge?
Did it "disappear" some time soon after he received it as a gift?
Just wonderin'
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2012 :  14:26:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve,

It's just "one of those things" that happened. The rest of the tools in the set were not that useful around the
house, since they were so small. But the putty knife managed to survive, because it was well-made
and practical, ending up on the sacred peg-board out in the garage.

About 25 years ago, it was still at my dad's house in with all of his tools, so I just grabbed it
for my own use, since by then it had become something of a relic from the good old days.

TOM--thanks for your comments about Mike; I know he really enjoyed talking with you and corresponding.

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 10/07/2012 14:28:43
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  02:15:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a birthday wish to my late brother Mike on what would have been
his 63rd Birthday (Oct 12, '49).

I think I was the only kid in my family that NEVER got a birthday party; not sure why---maybe I was too
much of a pain-in-the-a____. Anyway, here was Mike's big party on Sunday, October 14, 1956.

This is the old basement at 6912, looking north. My mom is on the left, then me sporting my standard
cowboy boots 'n suspenders combo. In the background behind me is my cousin Jeannie Lewis, then our cousin
Gerry Ortman (the tall guy). The other girl seated in the background is Karen King (their family lived on
Woodlawn and 175th, I think); her mother now lives in the same condo complex in Highland as my mother.
Above Karen you can see a framed photo of "Big Mike" Rapchak, the DJ of the family.

Then there's Mike, the birthday boy himself; I can't imagine how he was running, since the east wall
of the basement is about 3 feet behind him; maybe he was just posing for the camera on one foot.
And the two grandmas, of course, on the couch. Yeah, that's a basketball hoop--- not much clearance
for practicing yer' free throws; no wonder Mike and I couldn't shoot baskets to save our lives. In the
far corner, behind grandmas, is an old 40's floor-model radio; the wooden box on top was a handmade
case that contained our phonograph.

The party moves upstairs. On the left is my dad's brother, my Uncle Bill (the basketball players who's
in the Indiana Sports Hall of Fame), who still lives in Naperville, and his wife, my Aunt Gerri, seated
at the dining room table. Assorted party-brats complete the scene.

That's me in the lower right-hand corner, holding one of our coolest toys at the time,
the Remco Electronic Space Gun!

I probably received the gun that day as a present; can't remember.
And here's a shot of the SAME SPACE GUN, which I own today, complete with original box---

This is NOT the same one in the '56 birthday photo; I bought this one in the mid 80's at a toy store
in Park Ridge, Il.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 09/03/2013 03:19:27
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  19:49:21  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Larry, I join you in wishing Mike a happy 63rd birthday. All of his birthdays are happy ones where he is now. Our loss is Heaven's gain.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

TestPattern

48 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  20:10:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I bought this one in the mid 80's at a toy store in Park Ridge, Il.

LR

If the "vintage" toy store in Park Ridge is called June Moon, I know the store and its' owner.

I know what you feel about your brother, as we have similar circumstance. My brother passed four years on October 1 and his birthday will be one month from today, November 12.
You just have to keep his memory close.
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  20:39:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,
Mike was an early "hero" to LS even though the shenanigans were about.
Sure wish I could have talked Astronomy with him!
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2012 :  14:28:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another lovely vision of the past from The SERENADE; the back of the photo says it was
developed on July 14, 1952.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 10/14/2012 14:29:50
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2012 :  09:53:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The above picture was taken at the front. Upon entering these doors you either turned right or left to be seated. Directly in front of you was the counter where the girls picked up their "curb service orders". Just to the right was the cash register.
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2012 :  23:26:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And here we have
an inside view with the cash register Roger mentioned.

Originally in color, this photo's colors have faded over the years to a point where there is a yellow tint over the entire picture.
I was able to enhance the contrast in this image in BW for more detail.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 10/17/2012 23:27:54
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2012 :  21:09:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
EVERY HALLOWEEN.....I can't help but think back to 1958, which was
the greatest Halloween of all for Mike and me. There are plenty of photos and stories about it posted
here on "Magoun Avenue Memories", including the night Mike and I put out the candle in Lil' Stevie's
jack-o-lantern by spittin on it, THEN knocked on the door and said in our weasley way: "Mrs. Kush, your
pumpkin went out", THEN stood and watched as she tried in vain to re-light it using a drinking straw as a lighter.

What a cool time! Mike and I were running rampant in the neighborhood (including torching our
own pumpkin on our porch by stuffing it with dry leaves when
it was lit, the so-called "hot house pumpkin"
effect), while out in back, our dad and his brother-in-law Chick Krupinski were working late into the night,
building our new 2-car garage; this was the final phase of the renovations that started with the
kitchen/room addition earlier that spring (see above posts).

Mike and I would stop into the garage where the men were hammering, downing a few beers (not getting
hammered, though) and generally cuttin' up; Mike and I would listen as we warmed our hands by the 100-watt
bulbs in those hanging holders with the cage on front.

During that great time, the picture below was taken; it's always been my favorite pic of my sister Nancy---

NANCY -- southeast corner of the new garage at 6912 Magoun, late October, 1958.

Which reminds me, I have to try to reach her again by phone--she lives in Manhattan, and
I'm not sure how much the mega-storm affected her. If I know Nancy, she's out working 'round the clock
with the relief workers to help people.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 11/01/2012 00:19:00
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2012 :  08:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As we move into November and summer fades away,we'll keep our memories warm by continuing our watch of the developing Serenade.

Here the new roadside sign is being erected.

The sand is all gone as Indianapolis Blvd. is transformed from a two-lane country road into a commercial region for the young "baby boomer" generation.

I'm not sure when this photo was taken however, Larry, I'm hoping you can. LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 11/10/2012 08:47:36
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2012 :  02:29:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve--

I'm guessin' about 1951; on the extreme left side you can see a bit of the MELODY ICE CREAM
building that Karl and Al built in '51 (more on it later). What's cool is that you can now see the
rear of the houses on Magoun's EAST side in the background; is one of those the house that
Georgia Stewart (Jim's mother) currently lives in (and which we've visited lately)? Can't tell for sure;
maybe you can ID it.

Anyway, it's about time these two guys finally put up a sign to draw attention to their place.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2012 :  11:01:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,
I think the garage on the left, just to the right of the Melody building, is their garage. Behind the car.
I also think the house in between the truck and signpost is theirs. Seems it might line up that way.
Next up, one of the Serenade's favorite items gets it's due!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 11/16/2012 11:03:01
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2012 :  02:38:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve--

And to think you and I have recently walked through that same back yard, next to that same garage and
into the Stewart's house, with Mrs Klish, Georgia and Jim.

Might be about time for another House o'Pizza get-together. From what I read on another recent thread,
Tom J and some of the "Region Rat" gang might be coming north for a gathering; wouldn't
THAT be cool if we all could meet at HOP?

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 11/19/2012 02:39:08
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2012 :  14:06:02  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Steve--

And to think you and I have recently walked through that same back yard, next to that same garage and

Might be about time for another House o'Pizza get-together. From what I read on another recent thread,
Tom J and some of the "Region Rat" gang might be coming north for a gathering; wouldn't

Larry

SOUNDS GREAT!
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2012 :  08:48:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tom J

quote:

Steve--

Larry

SOUNDS GREAT!

I'll second that!
We have "The Place"
Just need "date & "time" (I'm guessin' around 6:30 or so!)
LS
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2012 :  07:27:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How's about a show of hands of all who may be, at least, interested in the idea ...Cj
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2012 :  09:50:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Tomj. This is a little off topic, but I can't access my email right now so I'll do it this way:

This is what is at the US6/49 intersection. This is looking west with 49 roughly 1/4 mile ahead...Cj

Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2012 :  18:38:22  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by seejay2

How's about a show of hands of all who may be, at least, interested in the idea ...Cj

Chris, let me start a thread on the subject of a possible Region Rat Reunion in "da Region." We can see who is up for it.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2012 :  02:47:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'BOUT TIME for another "Serenade" pic from those glorious days
of the early 1950's. According to their new sign, something really tasty was being featured....

That my be Karl Fisher himself doin' the chores up on the ladder.

LR
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2012 :  22:00:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like Karl
wasn't afraid of heights!
How tall is that ladder?
I'm guessin' 12'
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2012 :  04:50:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's That Time of Year Again...

When most of us like to look back at the great old Christmases of our youth. Christmas on Magoun Avenue
was fabulous; it seemed like the perfect time to be a kid and live in the perfect little neighborhood.

I've dug up some really cool stuff about Christmas of 1957, which I will be posting over the next few days;
in the meantime, here are some great old CHRISTMAS TAGS used for wrapping gifts.

I found these in an old re-sale store during the mid '80's, and they are in perfect, un-used condition.
Their design clearly says late '40's to late '50's...that's right, baby---the GOLDEN ERA!

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 12/20/2012 04:51:10
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2012 :  04:03:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's more from that great Christmas of '57,a cool pic of my mother, Mike, and me
decorating the tree (seems like everything little boys wore in the 50's was striped---T-shirts, PJ's...everything).

We had this big-old mirror on the south wall of our living room, and you can see our reflections in it as our dad
snapped the pic with his trusty old Argus camera. Also, notice the Glass Wax stencil decorations on the mirror;
remember those? I think this was the second year my mom used them on the windows and mirror.

What a thrill...and yes, I still have those same ornaments you see in the picture.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 12/22/2012 01:58:41
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2012 :  22:37:34  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great pic, Lar! Sure does bring back fond memories.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2012 :  00:03:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually still have a can of glass wax on display in our laundry room. The stencils for Christmas are (sadly) long gone. We did the glass wax on our front windows every year when I was young.
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2012 :  02:23:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AND HERE IS the Mercantile National Bank CHRISTMAS CLUB book that my mother
used in '57 to keep track of all gifts bought and received that year--

FRONT and BACK COVERS

AND THE FIRST INSIDE PAGES---

In the LEFT column are the gifts we received on Christmas Eve from our relatives;
Mike (6th line) got this fabulous set of plastic model WWII soldiers (made by Revell) from our Cousin Rick in
California (more on it later). We each received a rectangular, wooden PENCIL BOX--with a sliding top,
on which a flower was painted, all hand-made by our maternal Grandfather, who had a woodworking shop down
in his basement on Van Buren Ave (near 175th St.)

In the CENTER column are the Christmas morning gifts we received from SANTA;
good thing Mike and I never discovered this book in one of our typical "snoop" sessions. My big gift was
the Marx DINOSAUR PLAY SET, Remco's Industrial/conveyor belt robot "BIG MAX", and a big cardboard "store"
(I don't recall the Ray Guns that are listed for both of us).

In the right column are the 1957 prices; the total spent on Mike was almost TWO BUCKS MORE than was spent on me....

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 12/22/2012 02:36:13
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2012 :  07:02:34  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can't believe you still have all of this stuff but I'm sure glad you do. Thanks for sharing, Lar.

Tom
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page