MAGOUN AVENUE MEMORIES
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  15:08:56  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Larry and Steve, I can't seem to email you so would you email me? I have a question to ask the both of you.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  20:23:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the next photo
of the now completed "Serenade"
This looks like it was in the spring of '49.

Check out the cars! Can anyone ID them?
LS
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  21:07:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting back to the original theme of this thread,
I thought I'd share another "Little Stevie" experience from those days on Magoun.

In this photo, taken at Thanksgiving, 1958, we see Mom's cousin, Zig Surowiec, in a tussle/gunfight with cousin Paul

Who won is not important. What is. . . is the chair they're tussling on.
Ya can't see it clearly, but this chair was a big comfy gray chair with a huge cushion for your back. What was great was, the cushion was separate from the chair itself.

For Little Stevie this cushion became the target of his frustrations brought on by. . ooh. . .neighbors. . . older sisters and whomever got his ire up.
Little Stevie used to "judo" throw that thing around the basement to the tune of John Sousa's "Stars & Stripes Forever", getting a good workout and feeling "pumped" afterwards.

In fact, I'd invite friends over to toss it around once and a while.
One Friday, after school, none other than my buddy Jeff Dembowski and another school chum from Jefferson, George Forgich, came over to wrestle with the cushion.

We were throwing on the floor, drop kicking it, landing on it with both knees, just beating the hell out of it.

Then, to add more excitement to the brawl, we decided to start hitting each other with it. In the back. . . swinging it full force into each other's gut and also trying to knock each other's legs out from under them.

During one of these exchanges, George got knocked down on his stomach. As he was lifting himself up, either Jeff or myself hit him across the back, sending him face first into the floor again.

He let out quite a yell. . . then started screaming "My tooth! My tooth!"

As he rose and turned around we could see that one of his front teeth had been chipped when he hit the floor.

Where my mother was, I can't remember but I know she wasn't home.
Naturally, Jeff started to laugh about the missing portion of George's tooth.
Little Stevie was already thinking of the "reprimand" he was going get for this incident.
We found the missing portion and told George to take it with him, that dentists could glue it back in place nowadays.

George left, Jeff laughed even harder as I sent him home, contemplating my situation.

Well. . . somehow. . .some way. . . telling his parents about the incident just slipped Little Stevie's mind.
A couple of days later, George was at school with a silver cap on the tooth. Everything was going to be fine.

Fine that was until my mother came home from the National Grocery store in the Woodmar Shopping Center, later that week.

She sat me down and asked "What happened to George's tooth?"
"EYYYEEE, I don't know!" I stammered.
"You sure?"
"Well. . . he kinda broke it in our basement the other day, I guess."
"You GUESS?"
Then she told my father and myself the story how she had just seen Mrs. Forgich in the store were Mrs. Forgich told her not to worry about George's tooth.
"I have never been soo embarrassed in my life" She told us.

She went on:
"I said, Why? What happened to George's tooth?"

"You didn't know? He broke it in your basement the other day when George was over.
The boys were throwing around a pillow or something and George's tooth broke on your floor.
It's all taken care of. So don't worry about it."

"Well, I'm shocked. This is the first I've heard about it" Mom told her.
"Steve didn't tell us about it."

I can't remember the punishment, but I know this was when I realized that for whatever reason, I wasn't going to "get away" with much in my youth. Someone always was there.

"I'm telling on you!"

Be it an older sister, a girl down the street, the kid next door, anyone.
Little Stevie was tagged for crimes he didn't commit.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 06/11/2012 21:22:05
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  21:40:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's something that may make Little Stevie, our perennial Pepsi purveyor, feel somewhat better after bringing us the story about George's tooth.

"CLICK HERE" to see what I'm talking about. It's actually a magnet that's a little over 9 inches tall.

Ken
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  23:52:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvcogs

Here's something that may make Little Stevie, our perennial Pepsi purveyor, feel somewhat better after bringing us the story about George's tooth.

"CLICK HERE" to see what I'm talking about. It's actually a magnet that's a little over 9 inches tall.

Ken

Thanx Ken!
Nothing beats 12 cold ounces of Pepsi-Cola aka
"Nectar of the gods"

Edited by - Little Stevie on 06/11/2012 23:52:19
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2012 :  02:30:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve--

More new material than I can comment on in one sitting.

The B&W Serenade pic is too cool; and to think that, six months ago, we thought we'd NEVER see
the Serenade again! What a great time...especially with the dudes in their cars, the clear blue sky, etc.

What's also interesting is FORSYTHE'S FRUIT MARKET on the southwest corner of Indy and 169th; obviously the
first building on that site, of which I have NO memory. By the mid-late 50's, Kelly's Drive-In would replace it.
Also, neither Mrs. Klish or Georgia Stewart had any memory of Forsythe's. But there it sits, preserved for
all time in this photo.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2012 :  12:21:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,
I'm wondering when the apartments on the north side of 169th st. were built?
They seem to be in every picture of the early days.
Seems strange that apartments would have been built when "Suburbia" was just taking off with the G.I.'s returning home, marrying and starting the "Baby Boom" years!

Serenade:
Yep. It's a miracle! We need to set up another "visit". I gots another idea percolatin' in my LS brain!

LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 06/14/2012 12:23:49
Go to Top of Page

TestPattern

48 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2012 :  19:07:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Little Stevie

Here's the next photo of the now completed "Serenade" This looks like it was in the spring of '49.
Check out the cars! Can anyone ID them?
LS

I think the middle one in the group of three on the right is a DeSoto. This photo is for a 1949.

The tail lights are a bit different, so maybe another model then shown or earlier year. But the bumper sure looks similar.
ADDED: Photo Hosting site ate my photo. I have now reloaded it.

Edited by - TestPattern on 06/16/2012 09:08:30
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2012 :  19:34:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man!
How sharp is that car! I'll bet the sheet metal was 1/8 inches thick!
LS
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2012 :  07:10:24  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think the one in the Serenade photo is a Plymouth. The reason I think it's a Plymouth is the brake light on the trunk lid. The bumper bars, I believe, was an option. I had an early 49 DeSoto. The one TestPattern has posted is a late 49 style.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2012 :  15:41:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Notice how difficult it is to tell one car from another during the 40's--mid 50's (and probably long before that, too)?
When I google a particular car in an old photo, it's practically impossible to tell one year from another....
through about 1955. Then, suddenly car designers went nuts, and we were treated to about 10 years of phenomenal,
inventive designs where every company was trying to outdo the other in terms of wild tail fins, grills,
that "space-age" sleek look, etc. My all-time favorite was the '59 Buick; never been topped in terms of its outlandish design.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 06/16/2012 15:35:58
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2012 :  03:46:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CHECK THIS OUT......

The interior of the legendary SERENADE Drive-In, with a few of the lovely late-40's carhops of da' Region!

So that's what the place looked like inside; I only remember being in there once....

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 06/16/2012 03:47:23
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2012 :  09:02:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is where the car hops picked up their orders. There were stools to the right and left for inside customers with one or two small tables in the back on the south side.
Go to Top of Page

TestPattern

48 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2012 :  09:35:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BobK

I think the one in the Serenade photo is a Plymouth. The reason I think it's a Plymouth is the brake light on the trunk lid. The bumper bars, I believe, was an option. I had an early 49 DeSoto. The one TestPattern has posted is a late 49 style.
Bob
KUDOS to BobK - a man who knows his cars. I was basing my suggestion on body style and bumper. After further research with Bob's lead to a Plymouth, it does appear the car is actually a Plymouth Special Deluxe. I have seen the optional bumper bars on other Plymouths. This photo is for a 1948.

The details are all there: chrome trim on side, gas cap location, brake light on trunk, license plate location, and trunk lever.
The previous photo for the 1949 DeSoto was a Custom model.
Go to Top of Page

TestPattern

48 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2012 :  10:01:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the left vehicle (missing one fender) in the group of the three on the right of the Serenade photo is a Ford Coupe.

This photo is for a 1946, however, the photo borrowed did not say what model, but likely a Deluxe or Super Deluxe. I assume the license plate mount on the trunk, versus bumper mount, was an option.
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2012 :  11:41:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HassoBenSoba

CHECK THIS OUT......

The interior of the legendary SERENADE Drive-In, with a few of the lovely late-40's carhops of da' Region!

So that's what the place looked like inside; I only remember being in there once....

LR

And girl number 4 decided she didn't want to be in the picture.
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2012 :  13:14:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvcogs

quote:

CHECK THIS OUT......

LR

And girl number 4 decided she didn't want to be in the picture.

HA!--I think a bit of reflection on that thought is in order, Ken.
SCJ

Edited by - S C Jones on 06/16/2012 21:56:29
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2012 :  03:29:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More Prime MAGOUN-era stuff:

My birthday (May 7), 1957....back in the days when we kids could dress up like Tonto and not get sued
by the ACLU. ONCE AGAIN--Mike got the same damn' thing as I DID for my birthday--so we had
TWO "Tontos" running around the house like fools.

Here we are about to do a war dance on my cake if somebody doesn't cut it soon (the little candle holders
were yellow plastic cowboy and Indian figures).

Notice the shiny, leather-covered BAR STOOL visible under the
snack bar; there was a set of THREE of them.....

And here's a publicity pic of my dad from his heyday on Chicago's radio station WAAF,
probably 1955; this scan is of a postcard the station had printed:

There's a connection with the birthday/"Tonto" photo above: when the WAAF photographer came
to our house one hot summer day to take PR pics of my dad, he posed for this shot while seated on
one of those same bar-stools
seen above; the "up in the air" background was obviously then
added in the studio.

I assume "Big MIke" is up there somewhere now.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 06/22/2012 03:33:46
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2012 :  22:58:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darn Tootin'
he is! And Mike Jr.

Amazing that the three light switches are in the same spot as the Kush home two doors down!
L to R
Kitchen light, Hall light and backdoor outside light!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 06/22/2012 23:01:02
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2012 :  12:07:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry & I hope
everyone is enjoying this collection of rare pictures we were able to obtain telling the story of the Serenade.
Part of our agreement with our source was to post them on "Sheptalk" only and not any other websites or social networks.
We ask that this agreement will be honored by all who come here to view them.
However, we do feel the need to "watermark" them, for our protection, from this point on.
Thank you, in advance, for your cooperation.

Now, back to the next photo.
Not sure when this was taken

but it looks like the cars were just back from a "Demolition Derby" perhaps?

Again, can anybody out there I.D. these cars?
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 06/30/2012 12:54:31
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  23:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's another window to Woodmar's past--the Serenade in all of its glory on a gorgeous summer day.

Looking southeast, with lots of open land and weeds on the east side of Indy Blvd. In another few years, Karl and
Al would build their NEXT eatery, Melody Ice Cream, directly south of the Serenade.

STEVE-- that garage-like business to the south...I can't figure out why I have absolutely no memory of it,
but you clearly remember it. Was it there in our first Serenade pics (when Karl was scouting the site?)

larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 07/06/2012 23:57:50
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  00:22:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I don't think so Larry,
It was the building the housed "Carstensen's". They sold power mowers there.
Not sure what it was after that though.
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2012 :  23:50:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve--

Looks like a pretty big building fer' just selling mowers (and repairing them, I'd guess).

Did Carstensen's also do mechanical work on cars?

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 07/08/2012 23:52:50
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  17:07:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Steve--

Looks like a pretty big building fer' just selling mowers (and repairing them, I'd guess).

Did Carstensen's also do mechanical work on cars?

Larry

I do't think they did, Larry.
I just remember them selling and servicing all types of lawn mowers/tractors.
LS
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  17:10:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a photo
that was taken Halloween night '56

After the terrorizing experience Little Stevie had
with the Taylor's from next door. That photo is further up the MAM thread, around page 2/3.

Turn the crank on the uke, and the Mickey Mouse Club theme song played.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 07/10/2012 17:12:54
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  00:03:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve,

Nice ears there, kid.

Mickey Mouse Club is the one TV show that really recalls those great old summer days.
In 1957 summer--when Mike and I were nuts about dinosaurs--and were hanging out with
your sisters, it was MM Club every day before supper, while waiting for our dad to come home
from Chicago.

No air-conditioning, so the front door was wide open; the late afternoon sun would be hitting those
big trees next to the Serenade, and thousands of happy birdies would be singing away. All of the
great Western stuff that was featured on MM Club at the time made a huge impression on us; remember
"Spin & Marty"?

The only thing that detracted a bit from the fabulous-ness of it all was the opening theme song and visuals
from the "Hardy Boys" serial with the House of Applegate; it scared the crap out of me!

Here it is----bring back memories??

http://youtu.be/phWGcOOEPZY

Since you were even younger than me, I imagine it must have freaked you out somethin' terrible!
(That's Thurl Ravenscroft doing the singing, whom we all knew as the voice of loveable Tony the Tiger.

But those were the glory days on Magoun Ave, as these three tykes would all agree!

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 07/12/2012 00:15:07
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  21:42:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeez! Larry!
Thank God I don't remember it! Great way to start a kid's show!
Watch a guy get knifed in the back!
Actually, I don't remember much of the MMC until it went into reruns later in the 60's.

Here's a photo of my

"Black Bart" Days

Taken on/near my 2nd Birthday.

Must've seen dem dere Rapchak Fellers or dat Rascally Taylor Gang and was a lookin' ta join up wit 'em!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 07/12/2012 21:44:18
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  02:06:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing to look back and realize how powerful the WESTERN influence was on all of us kids
in the good ol' late '50's.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 07/13/2012 02:07:21
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2012 :  17:08:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taken in either in '51 or '52
this is looking southwest from Indianapolis Blvd.

The brick two-story house is in the background along with some of the newer homes on the east side of Magoun.
One of those homes, just outta sight to the right, behind the Serenade, belongs to Georgia Stewart, who still lives there.
Georgia and her son, Jim, has joined Larry & I for pizza @ HOP.

Jim is going to "dig up" some old photos from when his parents moved in to add to this here thread!
I know he's "lurkin'" around this site! Jim. . . sign in please!
We need your stories of MAM in the sixties & seventies!

Looks like the owners should have painted a few lines to establish parking spots.
The guy in the forefront seems as though he's trying to "Wedge it in" between the other cars!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 07/19/2012 10:49:51
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2012 :  17:59:22  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, Jim, please join the fun!

Tom
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2012 :  15:13:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dat's right, Lil' Stevie.....

Those spiffy new autos were early '50's---always hard to tell the year, since the design
didn't change much during this time.

NOTICE the brick building
(with the open doorway) in the background; that's the beginnings of
MELODY ICE CREAM, a new shop that Al and Karl also designed and built, just south
of the Serenade! More on it later. The records we uncovered showed
that it was built in the early '50's, as a "twin sister" of the Serenade.

Yeah...I hope that Jim Stewart will be weighin' in here pretty soon; he and his mother Georgia are
authentic Magoun Avenue folk from the good old days...and they have many tales to tell.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 07/19/2012 15:15:07
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2012 :  21:35:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Steve,

Mickey Mouse Club is the one TV show that really recalls those great old summer days.
In 1957 summer--when Mike and I were nuts about dinosaurs--and were hanging out with
your sisters, it was MM Club every day before supper, while waiting for our dad to come home
from Chicago.

No air-conditioning, so the front door was wide open; the late afternoon sun would be hitting those
big trees next to the Serenade, and thousands of happy birdies would be singing away. All of the
great Western stuff that was featured on MM Club at the time made a huge impression on us; remember
"Spin & Marty"?

The only thing that detracted a bit from the fabulous-ness of it all was the opening theme song and visuals
from the "Hardy Boys" serial with the House of Applegate; it scared the crap out of me!

Here it is----bring back memories??

http://youtu.be/phWGcOOEPZY

Since you were even younger than me, I imagine it must have freaked you out somethin' terrible!
(That's Thurl Ravenscroft doing the singing, whom we all knew as the voice of loveable Tony the Tiger.

But those were the glory days on Magoun Ave, as these three tykes would all agree!

Larry

YES! I discovered that clip from the Hardy Boys a few months ago, and have since watched it dozens of times! I didn't remember the visuals (probably because I kept my eyes closed, as a kid) but I remembered the song all these years ... "Pieces of eight! Pieces of eight! Pieces of eight!"

In addition to Spin and Marty, don't forget Corky and White Shadow! With the Durango Dude! I haven't been able to find it on tape or DVD, but I do have a comic book of it.

Bill

Warren G. Harding Class of '63
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2012 :  22:06:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill--

That Hardy Boys intro was WAY beyond what Disney should have been showing to little kiddies in the late '50's;
the skeletal hands, the mouldy-sounding voice, the cobwebs in the empty treasure chest, and the skeleton
on the ground really freaked me.

Next time I saw it was as a rerun in the mid-60's; I was in high-school and it STILL gave me the creeps.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  02:03:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I'm driving down Magoun Avenue earlier this summer, and I see Mrs. Klish out in front of her house.
I stopped to chat, and noticed the vintage lawn sprinkler she was using. I hadn't seen one of these babies
in decades---in working order, no less.

"I've had it ever since I moved into this house" (which would be 1954), she told me.

LR
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  18:16:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Classic
"Rain King" revolving sprinkler! Who didn't have one of these back in the day?
How many summer afternoons were spent running through this shower?
Set the dial on top for a circular diameter from 5 to 50 feet!
I believe models of this classic can still be bought.
LS
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  19:58:07  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool! I had not seen one of those for AGES! Thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  10:56:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jumping back again,
Here's a photo of a few of the construction workers that built the "Serenade".

Taken in the summer/fall of '48, I believe the gentleman on the far right might be Karl Fisher, one of the owners.

Check out all the sand left behind from 4,700 years or so ago, when Lake Michigan lapped upon the shoreline on this spot!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 07/31/2012 10:59:59
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  04:22:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, how about the 4,700-year old White Castle bag that was photoshopped out of the lower-left corner
of the pic? (kidding, of course...).

Steve-- you may be right about Karl being the guy on the right...mainly because
I'm sure that his pal and business partner Al Wright is the second guy from the right. We'll see Al
in a few later pics looking noticeably heavier, after a couple years of those Serenade cheesburgers and malts.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 08/02/2012 04:22:53
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  13:57:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re: the Hardy Boys serial

I was searching for information on an actress I liked. It turned out she was a former Mouseketeer, and I just stumbled on this:

http://www.originalmmc.com/serials.html

Here's the page on the Mystery of the Applegate Treasure:

http://www.originalmmc.com/hardy1.html

Bill

Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  23:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill--

This site looks very cool; lots of info that anyone who remembers MMC will enjoy.

Thanks

Larry

PS - Who was the actress?
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  01:09:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bill--

This site looks very cool; lots of info that anyone who remembers MMC will enjoy.

Thanks

Larry

PS - Who was the actress?

No, youse guys, not the one who posed for Hugh Hefner! It was sweet, innocent Sherry Alberoni, whom I liked as Glumdalclitch in the 1960 movie "The Three Worlds of Gulliver."

Bill

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  07:51:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, I sent you a personal email about 2 weeks ago. Did you get it?...Cj
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  19:09:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The good old prices from the good old days! ...The Hammond Times, Friday, September 13, 1957.

Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  15:54:03  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Consumer Price Index for June of 1955 was 26.7 vs. 229.478 for June 2012.

That $1.20 for five cheeseburgers would be the same as $10.31 in today's dollars.

Tomster
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  23:16:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tom J

The Consumer Price Index for June of 1955 was 26.7 vs. 229.478 for June 2012.

That $1.20 for five cheeseburgers would be the same as $10.31 in today's dollars.

Tomster

That's still one heck of a deal!!!
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2012 :  01:46:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those tasty, inexpensive cheezeburgers were made by THESE lovely ladies, standing outside on the
south side of the Serenade. (The back of this pic says "May 29, 1950", the date it was developed).

There's a little family intrigue in this photo; I would SWEAR that the woman standing on the left is
my Aunt Flo (who was married to my Uncle Bob...see page 8 of this thread).

I saw my Aunt Flo this past Memorial Day and asked if she ever worked at the Serenade c. 1950,
and she said no, she hadn't. Her daughter Cyndi also feels there's a strong resemblance between this
pic and her mother.

But there's another twist here; my Aunt Flo told me that there was another woman who lived in
East Chicago who looked exactly like her (they were often mistaken for one another)
and also had the EXACT SAME NAME (Florence Krupinski!!?) Sounds crazy enough
to be true.

So maybe it's Florence Krupinski #2--the mysterious look-alike twin--that we see in the photo above.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 08/25/2012 03:06:36
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2012 :  10:56:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
32,530 reads & one year later,
This MAM string is still going strong!
Larry & I want to thank all of youse who check in to see how life was on Magoun back in the late 50's & 60's.

It's been a fun, fast year since Larry started MAM on August 13, 2011.

We've shared many memories with each other, our siblings and many former neighbors who still reside on the 6900 block of Magoun.
Getting the chance to see old photos of our youthful, fun filled days has, we hope, inspired many out there to slow life down a notch and relive their own youth, where ever it was.

Our get togethers at the HOP have given us the opportunity to reminisce with many of those who were a large part of our past.

There's plenty more to come . . . the continuing story of that lost treasure, The Serenade.
And hopefully, input from some others who spent their youth on Magoun in the later years.
Thanx again for all your interest in
"MAGOUN AVENUE MEMORIES"
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 08/15/2012 07:43:48
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2012 :  12:19:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Birthday MAM!!!
Ken
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2012 :  17:44:29  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Happy Birthday, MAM and MANY more to come!
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2012 :  17:12:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here's a website
That I think some of you will enjoy!

http://cruzintheavenue.com/CarsWeDrove.htm

I think many of these made their way to the Serenade way back when.
LS
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page