Page: of 18

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2012 :  22:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HassoBenSoba

"OFFICE DUDES"----

It looks like Mike, Jr. is doing a fine job keeping those fingers on the home keys -- a s d f j k l ; -- on that 1950's word processor.
Ken
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2012 :  14:19:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, we're gonna jump a few years here,

Little Stevie begins his musical career with a set of (toy) drums he receives for his 10th birthday, February 3rd.

The two wire legs that were supposed to hold the set in place never did fit so
my Dad found a couple of pieces of wood we jammed under both sides of the bass drum.

I was in all my glory until April of that year. Yep, Beda's birthday was in April and you'll never guess what his 10th BD present was.
Not just a set of drums, but a full blown set made by some company named "Ludwig".
Ever here of them?
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 04/29/2012 14:35:37
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2012 :  16:10:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but I bet Cy Beda's bass drum didn't have a Jamaican Beach scene with toucans, etc painted on it.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2012 :  16:27:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, but I bet Cy Beda's bass drum didn't have a Jamaican Beach scene with toucans, etc painted on it.

Larry

This is true, Larry.
But the scripted "Ludwig" was all that was needed to make Little Stevie feel inferior.
Somehow, "they" talked me into joining the band in sixth grade.
A photo of that soon to come on the Jefferson thread.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 04/29/2012 16:39:01
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  04:11:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HERE's SOMETHING TO COMMEMORATE THE FIRST WEEKEND IN MAY----
from the great old days at 6912 Magoun.

On Sunday, May 4, 1958, Mike made his First Communion at OLPH; his present was a new wristwatch:

Check out the calendar on the wall in the background; it was provided to OLPH parishioners by the
Huber Funeral Home of Hessville. I really appreciated the '58 version, which featured excellent paintings
of the major figures of Catholicism. May was the month of Mary.

HERE is a recent scan of the same page you see in the photo---NOT another copy from E-Bay, etc...
but the VERY SAME calendar, which I still have hanging on my studio wall.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 05/03/2012 04:12:19
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  01:16:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HERE'S Mike on that morning, Sunday, May 4th, 1958, at OLPH Church---a terrific picture, I think.

So after the Mass and First Communion festvities that morning, the plans called for a family trip to downtown
Chicago to see Disney's SNOW WHITE, which had just been re-released for its big summer run
(it came to the Paramount that summer). A great way to celebrate Mike's 1st Communion.

But when we got near the theater (maybe the Oriental or Woods?..one of those big Chicago joints around
State and Randolph), the place was JAMMED---the crowds were lined up around the block!
I remember driving around the block a few times as the realization began to set it...we were NEVER going
to get in to see the show that day (I also remember the big color ad-artwork of the Snow White characters
displayed around the ticket booth area, which made the disappointment that much more intense). But we'd
never get near the place on foot.

So we headed back to da' Region, had a nice fancy dinner at the Steak House that used to be at 5 Points
in Hammond/Whiting (by Phil Schmidt's, across from Lever Brothers), and then---so it wouldn't be a total loss,
decided to take in a double-bill that was playing at the local palace....

And here's the Hammond Times ad from that weekend (Friday, May 2, 1958).

The whole thing was SO bad,
that even Mike and I couldn't wait for it to end. So our big-time, downtown Chicago movie outing ended up
back home in the good old Paramount theater, sitting through some of the schlock-iest crud you've ever seen.

But it was still cool---part of the fun of the late '50's!

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 05/20/2012 23:44:58
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  02:22:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Mike. Would the steak house be GEORGE DIAMONDS? Tom W.
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  02:27:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom--

Yeah, I think that was it. Later (in the 60's) I think it became JUSTER's; but the afternoon we ate
there in May '58, I'm sure it was George Diamond's. Pretty darn' good food, as I recall.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  14:07:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep and nice people too. A historic note; right across the street on the other side of Indianapolis, there used to be a little roadhouse. A Mister Capone took a liking to it as a kind of home away from home.
In the time period to which you refer, the building, which was last used as a gas station, still stood. Tom W
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  21:34:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Betcha thought we forgot about
that oasis on the High Tolleston Shoreline, didn't you?

Well, as you can see below, the work continues in the sand.

Karl & Al checking things out.(This time in color!)
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 05/05/2012 21:37:36
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  23:54:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LS,
Can you tell what street that is in the background?
Thanks. Ken
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  12:50:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvcogs

LS,
Can you tell what street that is in the background?
Thanks. Ken

After looking at this for a while Ken, I guessing it's Indianapolis Blvd. running north to south (left to right). The houses in the right background would be on 170th st. east of Indy. Also, Larry told me the two men standing were just workers not Al & Karl. more photos to come later in the week.
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  21:50:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Huh, What....?

That's Indy Blvd in back of those three smiling workers, and the back of the house is over on Olcott Ave,
one block east. We'll be seeing Karl and Al in some of the forthcoming photos; I'm sure one of them was BEHIND
the camera for this shot, but not in front.
------------------------------------------------------------
INCIDENTALLY....to wrap up my little chronicle of the first week in May, 1958------

Three days after Mike's 1st Communion and our movie-going adventures,---Wednesday, May 7th, a certain
L.Rapchak celebrated his 7th birthday....probably the best of them all.

Here's Nancy, Mike and me on that evening. I am reading my new book entitled THE WORLD WE LIVE IN,
a compilation of photos, paintings and articles on nature from LIFE Magazine. The highlight was the big chapter
on Dinosaurs, which featured a panorama of incredibly cool DINO pics that LIFE had published in 1953.

I STILL HAVE THE BOOK on my shelf, minus the dust-jacket.

AND HERE IS MY MOTHER's INSCRIPTION to me from the inside cover of "The World We Live In",
which I am holding in the photo above.

Yep, it's still there.
----------------------------------------------------

ALSO--Notice the sword and scabard Mike is wearing. That was the greatest part of the whole day, because
my BIG present that birthday was an amazing SUIT OF KNIGHT ARMOR made by the Marx Toy Company.
It included a beautifully detailed helmet with visor made of heavy plastc, metal breast and back plates,
shin guards, a shield, and the plastic sword and tin scabard. WHAT A GREAT THING TO OWN!

Of course, as was the custom, Mike got the SAME present that I did--even though it was MY birthday.
"Well, we want you two guys to be able to play together...etc, etc"...yeah, yeah,,OK...I get it... It ALWAYS
happened on my birthday, but never on Mike's; I NEVER got the same thing he did on his birthday.

For some strange reason, we didn't take a single photo of us wearing those great Knight suits....nothing.
The sword in the pic above (plus another similar shot) is the ONLY evidence in the family album that we
ever owned the suits.

Here's a recent pic from a Toy Auction site of the helmet alone, plus the complete set of armor
(though I see a plastic scimitar and knife in the pic; the original sword/scabard is lying in the front).
DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THIS GREAT TOY from Marx??

The visor on the helmet actually worked, and the crest on the top was
modeled in the shape of a horse-head.

What a week it was...May, 1958; my head was reeling!

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 05/07/2012 03:15:16
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  00:41:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The World We Live In is also a favorite of mine. When I was a Montessori teacher, I bought several copies so I could cut out and mount some of the pictures -- especially the great Rudolph Zallinger murals, "The Age of Reptiles" and "The Age of Mammals."

The versions in the book are actually superior to his murals on the walls of the Peabody Museum at Yale, because they go from left to right, time-wise.

Both adult and chilren's versions of the book should still be available from used book dealers. Highly recommeneded.

Bill

Warren G. Harding Class of '63
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  03:06:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill...

After reading your post, I couldn't resist.

For those who have never seen 'em, here's a sample of Zallinger's Dinosaur murals that are included in "The World We Live In' book that
I received for my 7th birthday (photo above).

Now you see why I was astounded. This was just scanned from the SAME COPY of the book that I am holding in the pic above.

Larry

PS-- you mean to say that the original murals at the Peabody are laid out in reverse---right to left??

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 05/21/2012 12:45:11
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  08:51:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAPPY 61st. BIRTHDAY LARRY !!!! and MANY more!
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  13:45:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,

Best wishes for a Happy Birthday.

If you don't slow down, you'll catch up with me in a few years.

Ken
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  18:15:36  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LARRY!

(If you got a dinosaur book for this birthday, your picture might be in it!)

Edited by - Tom J on 05/07/2012 18:16:39
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  19:52:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MR. RAPCHAK!
Larry, Here's hoping today was one of your bestest Birthdays! (CLINK!)
LS
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  20:52:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another week. . .
Another 1,000 "reads" here on "Magoun Ave. Memories"!
Thanx to one and All! Whomever youse all might be!
Why not "sign in" and tell us who you are and why you enjoy the "MAM" thread!
Or, drop Larry & me, Little Stevie, a line @ sdmm@netzero.net

Looking forward to hearing from youse all soon!
LS
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  21:34:00  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I read it so much because I can identify so easily with the things that you guys tell us about. It's a glimpse of life as it was when we were growing up, a trip back to our childhoods.

Keep up the good work!

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  00:04:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bill...

PS-- you mean to say that the original murals at the Peabody are laid out in reverse---right to left??

Yes, the Peabody versions are in reverse, chronologically--making them not as good for classroom use, where you're getting young children used to left to right sequence.

The Peabody Museum http://peabody.yale.edu/ sells small guidebooks to the murals; small reproductions; and larger reproductions. The guidebooks identify each species. There are a few differences (besides the left/right issue) between the versions Zallinger did for The World We Live In and his big murals at Yale--mostly in "The Age of Mammals." Some of the colors in the Yale murals look faded ... not like the bright, strong colors we can see in your scan.

Bill

Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  00:09:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, by the way--a magazine article I once read about the Miller Company's 1950s waxy-plastic dinosaurs pointed out that several of Miller's figures were clearly patterned after the Zallinger murals.

That's especially evident in the Stegosaurus (with the delicate rose coloring on the plates), the Megatherium (giant ground sloth), and Brontops.

Bill

Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  18:43:48  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tom J

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LARRY!

(If you got a dinosaur book for this birthday, your picture might be in it!)

No come back on that one, Lar? :)

Just messin' with ya. Hope I didn't hurt your feelings.

Tomster
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  03:32:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom,

I'm a little slow on the retorts these days but,

Man, you are one CRUEL, unforgiving dude!

larry

PS--Thanks for all the kind birthday wishes, guys; it was pretty uneventful (thankfully).

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 05/09/2012 03:34:14
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  13:37:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At this time,

just two days after Larry's 61st Birthday . . .

I'd like to wish my sister Beverly

A HAPPY 61st BIRTHDAY!!!

Me thinks she checks in here once and a while but I'm not for certain about it.

Here's a photo of her taken in or around 1990/91.

I'm guessing it was the Saturday before Easter getting ready to get the baskets blessed with Mom on the porch of 6920 Magoun.

Her daughter Ellen, in back, is studying in NY for her law degree.
Katie, on the right, is in Taipei, Taiwan teaching English to the Chinese, I believe.
Robbie, in her lap, is graduating from Purdue this Friday with an Engineering Degree.

If'n I got some of the "facts" wrong, maybe she'll sign in and correct me!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SIS!!!

LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 05/09/2012 23:46:23
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  10:38:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Birthday BEV! Congrats for surviving on Magoun around all those guys.
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  01:31:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve--

I would NEVER recognize Bev from this pic; but it's her, alright, next to your mom on the porch that I remember
so well from the good old days. Bev was born on May 5th, right? --two days before me.

Larry

PS--Congratulations to Bev and her kids; obviously, the family has been doing something right!
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  01:38:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, FOLKS--- Here we go....

In the continuing photo-saga of a certain iconic Woodmar Drive-In of yore, here's a color shot of the framework~

Summer, 1948.

LR
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  23:36:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Steve--

I would NEVER recognize Bev from this pic; but it's her, alright, next to your mom on the porch that I remember
so well from the good old days. Bev was born on May 5th, right? --two days before me.

Larry

PS--Congratulations to Bev and her kids; obviously, the family has been doing something right!

Nope! Two days after you Larry! May 9th.
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2012 :  21:12:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, I get it now....

That's why you posted the birthday message above on the 9th...(duh...).

Incidentally, seeing your mother in the pic above reminded me of one of the last times I saw her. It was right before
Christmas in 1981, and things were not going well for me in many respects; I was in between jobs, and was
living at my dad's place at the moment and, for some reason, I called your mom out-of-the blue and asked
if I could stop over to visit her. She was VERY cordial and welcomed me over.

I stopped in that evening (Dec 21, 1981) and we sat and talked for FIVE HOURS straight; the time flew by.
It was pretty amazing for me to be sitting there in a house that was EXACTLY THE SAME as 6912 where I grew up, since
your mom's place was almost totally un-changed from the old days. She brought out your family photo albums for me,
and I came face-to-face with those 1958 Wisconsin Dells Dinosaur photos that you guys had shown to me
when they were brand new that summer (posted on page TWO of this thread) as well as everything else that's in your
albums (much of which is also posted here).

That visit was very special for me; it was like stepping back into time and spending five hours with the
kindest, gentlest, most good-humored friend imaginable---even though, of course, I still considered her to
be my elder, while I was still the neighborhood goof-ball who used to annoy her and heap abuse on her kid, back
in our glory days.

I know the date of our visit because I remember what was on TV that evening as we sat and talked; it was
a new production of a famous American play entitled "All The Way Home", which I checked out
on IMDB to find the date.

Pretty interesting connection, I'd say.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2012 :  23:27:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

That visit was very special for me; it was like stepping back into time and spending five hours with the
kindest, gentlest, most good-humored friend imaginable
Larry

Larry,
seeing how tomorrow is Mother's Day, I cannot think of a better tribute to my mother than you words of praise.

Thank you.
LS
& "The Girls"
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2012 :  09:34:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry -- Here is some information I've been trying to get through to you, but my email has been giving me some problems.

It looks like they lived a couple blocks south of you, at 7134 per the 1970 directory. Would that house in the background be on Baring?

Ken

Edited by - wvcogs on 05/13/2012 09:35:00
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2012 :  20:42:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not the Monolith from "2001, A Space Odyssey"

but more of a 1948 version. . .

rising into the Woodmar heavens.

LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 05/21/2012 20:34:01
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2012 :  14:03:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THE WORK CONTINUES. . .

LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2012 :  23:50:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once again, we're looking at a scene from summer, 1948. In the background (looking north) is the intersection
of Indy Blvd and 169th; looks like there's an establishment of some sort on the east side of Indy, even though
the Hammond Directory from that year lists NOTHING in the area other than the Old Glory Tap, a block north
of the intersection.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 05/20/2012 23:53:07
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2012 :  20:38:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,
could that little brown oval sign on the right, under the 1st & 2nd utility poles, be a "Jewel" sign?

Announcing a Jewel store was going to be built on that site?
Looks like it could be in the right spot.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 05/21/2012 20:39:45
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2012 :  22:26:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve--

I've been staring at the photo for the past 10 minutes, and STILL don't see any brown oval.

BUT----
The Jewel store didn't open 'til late October, 1954, so there's no way it was in the works at this point.
In fact, it wouldn't be for another 4 years or so that the strip of businesses (with House of Pizza,
Lloyd's furniture, the bakery, etc) a block or two south of the Serenade would be built. It was practically
wilderness.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2012 :  00:20:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually Larry,
it's a white sign with a brown oval on it. Just below and in between the first two utility poles on the lower right portion of the photo.
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2012 :  18:19:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE--

Oh, yeah....now I see it; how could I have possibly missed it?
It looks like it's on the WEST (Serenade) side of Indy.

Anyway, the Jewel store wouldn't open for another six years; so here's another ancient relic from 1948,
showing the SERENADE's exterior essentially complete, including the nifty stone-work
around the bottom, the dark-green cedar shingles, and the wooden slats that orginally covered the tower/facade.

The view is to the NORTHWEST; the white house on the right is that "mystery house" that's prominent in
many of these 1948-49 pics, but which was apparently demolished sometime in the 50's...I don't remember it at all.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 05/24/2012 18:21:29
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2012 :  23:01:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's why I asked about the sign:

I remember the "Jewel" signs looking like this:

With the color combo of white lettering on a brown background like this "Osco" sign:

Maybe Jewel had already purchased the land. The sign is in the approximate location of the future store.

Strack & Van Til had a sign in St. John for years, proclaiming the future site. Turned out to be the now closed "K-Mart".
And Strack's built across the street from their original planned site.
Just Sayin'
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  01:25:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmmmmmmmm........ could be.

larry
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  16:00:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RE: The SERENADE PHOTO above (right above the OSCO Logo post)

You see what I refer to as the "Mystery House"--the white house on the right side of the pic.
It clearly was a residential home, and looks fairly new. It would have been located on the north side of
169th Street directly west of the intersection with Indy Blvd..but I have no memory of it from my
days back on Magou Ave.

The only clue is THIS pic from the Purdue Archives (which has been posted before) of the Intersection of
169th and Indy, probably taken during the 1953-58 period, when most of the other Purdue pics were taken:

AND THERE, on the Left Side of the frame, is a house--which I ALSO don't remember,
located right in back of the Standard Station, which would be the exact same spot where the "mystery house"
is seen in the 1948 Serenade pic. It's got to be the same house, but here it looks like it's covered in siding or
shingles that give it a "log cabin" look.

I wonder if anyone has ANY memory of this house/building---what it was, and what became of it.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 05/25/2012 16:02:33
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  21:53:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,
I'm thinkin' we'll have to consult our two "Magoun Ave. Experts" for the dope on the "Mystery House".
I'm bettin' we'll need to entice them with. . . you guessed it. . . a night at HOP!
Wadda ya think?
LS
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2012 :  10:40:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay all you Hammondites, past & present, have a safe holiday weekend. As you celebrate remember the vets who have given you this time.
My wife and I will be traveling to White House Tennesse to our youngest grandson's graduation party. He graduated from White House Heritage High School last Saturday as valedictorian, member of the National Honor Soceity, Beta Club, a Tennesse Academics Scholarship,Middle Tennesse Coachs Ass. Scholarship ( played defensive & offensive tackle on his football team). He has been awarded several other scholarships and will attend the University of Tennesse - Knoxville this fall to study Nuclear Engineering. HEY he is my grandson, I gotta brag on him.
Once again HAVE A SAFE & HAPPY WEEKEND!!
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2012 :  11:29:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roger,

You definitely have bragging rights! What a championship record!

Travel safely, hope the weather holds good for you.

SC
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2012 :  22:12:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking Southwest
the finishing touches are being completed on the
"Serenade".

Here, the parking lot is being prepared.
Also, one of the two trees is now gone.

Have a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day!
Remember to thank a Veteran.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 05/27/2012 22:13:41
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2012 :  08:55:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at the photo in the above post,
I'd guess that it was late 1948, December, maybe.
Or even January of '49.
The tree in the photo is bare of leaves, plus, this full page announcement ran on
February 3rd of '49.
(Six years before Little Stevie came into being!)

Here's the backpage of the announcement:

LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 05/30/2012 08:57:04
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  14:30:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE--

A great piece of Region lore---probably the only copy of the Serenade ad that's still in existence.
Great artwork, fascinating info on menu and the companies and suppliers that were part of the creation of
Woodmar's iconic drive-in.

Also, thanks for the back-side of the ad. The "pleasant little game" known as the Wishing Well was still being
printed every day sometime into the 80's, I think. ALSO--check the bottom-right panel of the comic strip
"Dotty"; interesting that a comic strip could get away with showing the babe (Dotty) and
the dork (Horace) sleeping in the same bed (in 1949!); it took another 20 years for TV sit-coms to drop
this taboo.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 06/01/2012 14:33:09
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  01:30:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, what's this about a birthday? Guess I missed something. Hope it was a happy one.

MEANWHILE---check out THIS ultra-rare treasure:

The SERENADE DRIVE-IN shortly before it opened in February, 1949, looking northwest.

The houses on the left are on the north side of 169th; the ones on the right run north along Baring Ave. The
"mystery house" is on the far right.

Looks pretty cozy...though I wonder why Karl and Al decided to open their beautiful drive-in in the dead of winter
Check out the announcement ad right above this pic.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 06/04/2012 14:13:05
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page