Page: of 18

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  01:16:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE--

HAR, HAR, HAR! NOW THAT'S FUNNY!

AND VERY WELL-TOLD, TOO.

I feel bad, in a way, laughing about it, but I'm sure the statute of limitations
(so-to-speak) has run out. I'm sure poor Delbert tried to forget about that day for the rest of his life.

Great "visual documentation" also, especially the pic of ol' Delbert himself slaving away with his shovel,
while his car patiently awaits a nice, freshly-cleared parking space.

Larry

PS- Speaking of 1967 and detached car doors....I had a great '67 Buick Special (V-6 stick) that got
totalled in early 1979, after which we kept the passenger door (which had survived)
in my dad's basement in Whiting. Never knew when it might have come in handy.

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/17/2012 22:02:30
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  07:12:02  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's FUNNY! How could you keep from laughing?

Thanks for sharing that story, LS.

Tomster
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  07:42:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tom J

That's FUNNY! How could you keep from laughing?

Thanks for sharing that story, LS.

Tomster

Tom,
at less that a week from my 12th BD,
I was in as much shock at this incident
as I was when Stash, the apartment owner, put his car through the garage wall earlier in life on Magoun.

Plus the fact, Del was melting snow and ice around him with his uhh. . . "comments" about the situation!

Larry, the backseat of a Chevy Blazer I once owned is still in the garage on Magoun. I'll tell you that story later.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 02/17/2012 07:44:25
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2012 :  21:29:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ABOUT AN HOUR AGO.....

I decided to start work on a project that I've meaning to get to for some time. As I'm looking through
my desk, I find a yellowed newspaper--from the entertainment section of the old Chicago's American.

First thing I looked at was the DATE on the paper (it's on the left panel):

I almost dropped; FIFTY YEARS TO THE DAY! February 21, 1962. And the main story
was something I remembered very well from that month, since I was upset when I read of the death of actor
Joseph Kearns, who played Mr Wilson on the TV "Dennis the Menace" show. He had died the previous weekend,
and here's the article on his speedy replacement by actor Gale Gordon.

HOWEVER---the reason that I had this old paper in my desk was the fact that I found it
a few years ago in my dad's belongings; he had apparently saved it for THIS AD, which was printed right
below the Gale Gordon story:

From my dad's hey-day on WCFL with his pal Dan Sorkin (see the Sheptalk thread "What's So Funny"
for a Sorkin/Rapchak/Bob Newhart story from July of '62).

IN FEBRUARY of '62, when this ad appeared, we were only a few weeks away from our big move
from 6912 Magoun to Hessville.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 08/27/2012 04:02:55
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2012 :  23:18:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/quote]
IN FEBRUARY of '62, when this ad appeared, we were only a few weeks away from our big move
from 6912 Magoun to Hessville.

LR
[/quote]

that's when the sun
shined a little less brightly on Magoun

Edited by - Little Stevie on 02/21/2012 23:20:57
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2012 :  23:23:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Miss Brooks' Principal," the clipping says!?!!!

That's OZGOOD CONKLIN, by god!

Bill

Warren G. Harding Class of '63
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  21:52:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SHORTLY AFTER CHRISTMAS of '61, we started to see this very cool commerical on afternoon TV for
"WARRIORS OF THE WORLD", a set of plastic figures made by the MARX Toy Company. I was immediately
fascinated--MUST HAVE THEM!!

There were 72 figures in the series, with pirates, vikings, Roman legionnaires, cowboys, indians, civil war troops, etc..
"Each beautifully painted by hand..." as the chanting chorus of men told us in the commerical.

Does anyone remember them? I went nuts and collected them all, starting in Feb. 1962.
YOU COULD BUY THEM IN BOXED SETS like this (I got my first set at STORK TOWN in Woodmar Shopping Center---

...or you could buy them separately in individual boxes. Mike and I bought some in Walgreen's in Woodmar later
that spring; as a display, they were all piled into one of those metal wire baskets used for garbage burning.

Maybe that's one of the reasons that moving from Woodmar to Hessville was really no big deal for us in March of '62---
we were too wrapped up in fun stuff like this to realize what we would soon be missing.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/24/2012 02:26:40
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  00:55:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to attend Medieval/Renaissance events held by the nationwide group, the Society for Creative Anachronism.

I would dress sensibly, in 1400s tabard and tights. But your Eric the Red reminds me of one reenactor in a tunic who had to put up with hearing this, from children:

"Mommy ... why is that man wearing a dress?"

Bill

Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  02:10:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TO ANYONE WHO REMEMBERS WATCHING this classic Twilight Zone episode ("TO SERVE MAN") on its
very first network broadcast----it was exactly FIFTY YEARS AGO TONIGHT ~ Friday, March 2nd, 1962.

Mike, Nancy, our mother and me were gathered in front of the living room tv, and were blown away by the big
"twist" ending of this show. It's the last thing I remember from our 7 & 1/2 years on Magoun Avenue, since our
move from Woodmar to Hessville took place two days later.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 03/02/2012 02:12:50
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  07:36:28  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow! I remember that episode!

People were being taken by some aliens, supposedly to visit their planet or something, and they never came back.

Translators told everyone that the aliens were safe because they figured out that the title of a book they had brought with them was "To Serve Man."

Later, when they got into the book itself, it turned out to be a cook book!

Right?

Tomster
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  00:21:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TOM--

YEP...THAT'S THE ONE!

I'm going to go watch it right now, as a 50th-anniversary observence.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  10:31:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always enjoyed that one.
Is that Jaws (Richard Keil) as the alien?

Edited by - duane on 03/03/2012 10:31:59
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  17:12:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by duane

Always enjoyed that one.
Is that Jaws (Richard Keil) as the alien?

Sure looks like him Duane
but I think Jaws was just a minnow back in those days.
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  17:33:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GUYS--

Yep, that's Richard Kiel, the guy who got all of the casting calls for gigantic brutes back in
early 60's Hollywood. In fact, in the final scene of "To Serve Man" with the earthlings boarding the
alien saucer, you see TWO different aliens (called "Kanamits")--but BOTH are played by Keil,
one with a goatee, the other clean-shaven.

Reminds me of my father's joke about the actor George Raft (who was notoriously drab and
wooden onscreen).

"George Raft had two basic expressions: one with his hat ON....."

(you fill in the rest).

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 03/04/2012 02:36:03
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  17:48:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW! how old do you think he was back then?
Seems he wasn't too old in the JB movie. But that was a while ago too, wasn't it?
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 03/03/2012 19:48:56
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  22:36:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FIFTY YEARS AGO this weekend-----

My father took this photo of my sister Nancy, sitting in her bedroom (the southwest room of the house)
as a sort of official "LAST PICTURE TAKEN AT 6912 MAGOUN AVENUE".

So there it is. I posted it today to mark the 50th Anniversary of our move from Woodmar to Hessville,
NOT to mark the end of my contributions to this thread; there's more to come.

SO ON THAT SUNDAY, March 4, 1962, we left 6912 for the last time; I have no memory of how the
move was accomplished; this pic clearly shows that the furnishings were all still in place.
I wonder what we slept in that night in our new digs?

But before driving to Hessville, we first stopped across the street at my grandmother's house on Magoun
for a big "going-away" dinner. I remember the TV was on and we switched to Channel 9 to check out
the weekly installment of "FLASH GORDON"; they were in the middle of the first (1936) serial, the rather racy
one with all of the skimpy costumes that had managed to avoid the new censorship rules in Hollywood back
then. I remember watching the scenes where the lovely Dale Arden (Jean Rogers) is being harassed by
big old King Vulcan (Bill Bucko will know the scene I'm talking about--the one with the bear with
the white stripes painted on it).

But what really caught my eye was Dale Arden herself. Here's a still from that scene--- enough to cause
any red-blooded 11-year old American boy to take notice:

SO while the family was getting ready for the big dinner, I was checking out Dale and marvelling at
the evidence that seemed to suggest a tight costume budget for the film.

All a part of growing up, I suppose: moving out of the childhood home () and ogling Flash Gordon's babe (),
all on the same day.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 03/04/2012 02:40:18
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  04:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jean Rogers, the actress who played Dale Arden in the first two serials, was a splendid person. I have a number of autographed photos she sent me, before she passed away.

She commented in a magazine interview that, yes, her costumes in the first serial were somewhat scant. Buster Crabbe once said that in the serials, he (as the hero) was not allowed to look at the girl the way he'd like to, on camera.

Bill

Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  11:39:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A sad weekend indeed for the rest of us on Magoun. ('Cept maybe The Feeneys)
I don't like saying this but I really don't remember when you left Larry. We've talked about it before but the people who bought your house?
The Krupas, I think? No relation to the Krupas I knew from church in E.C.
Is it possible we might have come to the new home in Hessville?
My mother was driving by then, I think we went to visit somebody who moved away. Might have been the Hlads later on.
Seems the area we went to was in the N.E. section of Hessville. Back in the Cline Ave. & Grand Ave. area. North of that intersection.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 03/04/2012 11:40:06
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  12:49:57  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Larry, you amaze me with your ability to place specific dates on many of the events in your life. I wish I knew the dates of things that happened in my life like that.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  13:50:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tom J

Larry, you amaze me with your ability to place specific dates on many of the events in your life. I wish I knew the dates of things that happened in my life like that.

Tom

Ain't that the truth, Tom!
I have enough trouble remembering what I did an hour ago, let alone 50 + years!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 03/04/2012 13:51:09
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  18:57:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have enough trouble remembering what I did an hour ago, let alone 50 + years!

GUYS--

SO DO I; I still keep a diary, and when I let it go for three or four days and try to fill in
the info, I cannot for the life of me remember most of what happened---often times the day before!
The last 25 years are largely a jumble to me; the only way I remember things is by what operas
or concerts I was working on in any particular year.

But childhood was different; my mind seem to be like wet cement--- once events were imprinted, they
seemed to be set in my memory for good. Part of it is due to the MANY family photos and films we took,
which have all survived (believe me, I've got boxes of stuff!)But another big part of it was my
close relationship with Mike; we shared everything we did, and for years afterward would frequently discuss
and analyze our memories.

One of our greatest memories was the summer of 1961, during which we played a particular record called
"Jet Flight" almost every single day; that record served as a great aid in keeping our memories for that
summer fresh in our minds. But a about a year before he died (and Mike had been increasingly disinterested
in discussing the good old days as time passed), he asked me "What year was that we listened to "Jet Flight"
all the time---was that '60 or '61?"---and I said to myself "oh, man...the old boy is
really starting to lose it if he doesn't remember it was '61!"

But that's just the way we were; we were actually able to keep our entire lives pretty much in chronological
order through our memories, something which I really treasure today.

Larry

PS-- I used portions of "Jet Flight" on my summer of '61 home movie I posted on You-Tube;
the link is near the bottom of page 1 of "Magoun Ave Memories".

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 03/04/2012 19:00:44
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  19:08:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE--

RE: our move to Hessville and possibility that you guys visited us there--- it might have happened, but
I wouldn't remember. Cline and Grand Ave run parallel, so maybe you mean Grand and 165th (?)

We lived south of Hessville park on California, just a few blocks east of Kennedy (south of 173rd).
HOWEVER--- THE TAYLORS-- our old pals who lived right between us on Magoun, had themselves moved
to Hessville, (in '59?) and lived directly one block east of us on Colorado Ave.

So maybe you came to visit both of us in one afternoon.

larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 03/04/2012 19:09:46
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  04:39:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That could be Larry. Yep, I meant Grand & 169th st. I think we did come visit you guys once.
Seems I remember going to that neighborhood to visit someone. I think it would have been the Rapchaks, not the Taylors.
Maybe Nancy would remember.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 03/06/2012 04:39:32
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  04:44:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I missed this Monday, could have gone on my lunch break!

http://www.nwitimes.com/video-photo-galleries-audio-interactives/video/video-wienermoble-stops-in-highland/vmix_604d25f6-3fe6-580e-a74e-aae8eb4e3eb2.html
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  14:57:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HEY, WHAT IS THIS??

The video shows a RED STRAP across the doorway/entrance of the Weinermobile; the very last few seconds
of the video show a kid standing at the entrance to the mobile, but being held back by the red strap.
Apparently, that's all you can do--stand at the doorway and look in.

And where's "Little Oscar"? -- I know the 1956 version that I met in VanTil's parking lot on Indy and 171st
is long-gone (maybe he's been pickled and preserved in the Oscar Mayer museum), but COME ON---
NO Little Oscar and NO walk-through the Big Weenie itself?!

What's this world coming to?

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 03/06/2012 14:58:29
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  15:23:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably can't
afford the liability insurance if a kid
trips, in his excitement, and falls on the steps!
Might knock out a tooth or two!
LS
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  03:18:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys; I can't remember his name but the original Little Oscar passed away a few years ago. He lived in Hobart. TOM W
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  06:52:54  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
George A. "Little Oscar" Molchan
http://legacy.post-trib.com/obituaries/posttribune/obituary.aspx?n=george-a-molchan-little-oscar&pid=3430804

Oscar G. Mayer, Jr.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_G._Mayer,_Jr.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  07:13:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. . .
seeing that "Little Oscar" was a Molchan, it's a coincidence that one of Magoun's inhabitants were Molchans.
Tony & Jane Ellen, who's pictured in the "Bunco Squad" photo earlier, and their son, Alan, who has been mentioned here a few times.

After reading the OB, I'm going to make the deduction that "LO" might have been a cousin or relative but not an uncle to Alan.
One discrepancy I found in his OB:

That he worked for Pepsi Cola in Gary in the 50's.

Not true.
The local Pepsi plant was in East Chicago on Chicago Ave. It started in a building on Baring first, then moved to the Chicago Ave. location.
If he worked at Pepsi, I would have known about it.
Warehouses were in Michigan City, IN & Kankakee, IL.

Trust me, I know it is fact.

I'm going to check with a few compadres who worked there in that time period. I think "LO" might have worked for that "other" drink.
They were located in Gary until operations were moved to Alsip, IL.

Edited by - Little Stevie on 03/07/2012 07:15:42
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  15:12:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WHOA!! ---Steve----

Just goes to show you: never mix up yer' soft drink facts when yer' talking to a PEPSI man.
They'll show mercy---not even to the surviving family of a little weenie-of-a-man like "LO".

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 03/07/2012 22:48:08
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  06:49:51  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Another
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002244674_oscarobit18.html

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  22:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Somethin's comin'. . Uh Huh!
LS
Go to Top of Page

Jay

148 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  03:49:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Little Stevie

.... I think "LO" might have worked for that "other" drink.

Are you referring to Coca-Cola? And are you sure they moved?
Recently, when I was traveling east on the Borman Expressway, I saw a large Coca-Cola warehouse just south of the expressway somewhere east of Gary near Portage.
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  07:00:41  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oooooooooh, Stevie! Jay said the "C" word!

Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  10:00:51  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My neighbor delivers out of the Coke facility in Portage. I still like him although I'd rather Pepsi.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  18:47:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jay

quote:

.... I think "LO" might have worked for that "other" drink.

Are you referring to Coca-Cola? And are you sure they moved?
Recently, when I was traveling east on the Borman Expressway, I saw a large Coca-Cola warehouse just south of the expressway somewhere east of Gary near Portage.

Yes, when "they" moved from Gary, they first went to Alsip, along the tollroad. Then they built the facility in Portage and brought back many of the workers at lower union wages than they were making in Gary. I believe.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 03/09/2012 18:48:09
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  20:47:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well . . .every now and then we all gotta "eat a little crow".
I found out today that. . .yes . . .George Molchan aka "little Oscar" did in fact
work at Pepsi-Cola. Not in Gary, I was right about that, but in East Chicago, in the late 40's till '51.
Yer never too old to learn something.
Please accept my apologies.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 03/10/2012 20:48:02
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  00:26:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't help but wonder what he did!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  00:42:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whatever the location, we can all agree that LO's work at Pepsi was part of his pre-wiener phase.

LR
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  03:50:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Chortle, Chortle" I was thinking like mebbie a dispatcher like Danny DiVito mebbie.
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  12:38:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tom w

I can't help but wonder what he did!!!!!

I found out George worked in the office as a bookkeeper.
I'm trying to get more information about his days at Pepsi.
LS
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  18:03:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LS

ONCE UPON A TIME IN WOODMAR......

A very enterprising couple of guys built the most unique eatery da' Region has ever seen. It was
1947, I believe, when these two pioneers bought a plot of overgrown land on the west side of
Indy Blvd, just south of 169th St, and began to realize their California-inspired dream.

For Lil' Stevie and me (and probably thousands of others), this long-forgotten establishment was
THE MAJOR landmark of the neighborhood as we were growing up in the fabulous 50's;
it seemed to symbolize everything that was great about life back then.

Those of you who have followed this thread have noticed how often the
SERENADE DRIVE-IN has been mentioned; I find myself searching in vain for
any photographic or written evidence of it----hoping to catch a glimpse of its distinctive
tower/facade peaking over the rooftops of our Magoun Avenue homes.

WELL.....

Here is an extremely rare flyer announcing the opening of this iconic
establishment, probably from 1947.

Steve--do we have a date here? Was the opening in Feb. of '48?

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 03/11/2012 18:07:47
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  20:19:08  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Molchan was a bookkeeper for Pepsi Cola when "Wizard of Oz" munchkin actor Meinhardt Raabe persuaded him to try out for the role of Little Oscar, said Molchan's brother, Elmer.

The character was created in the 1930s by company founder Oscar Mayer to help market its products. Molchan played Little Oscar with relish for 36 years.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  23:08:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just an observation of something i find interesting: The stone on the Serenade buildingwas from Cumberland Mountain which could be either Tennessee or Kentucky. And the
Tennessee State Capitol building is Indiana Limestone.

ONCE UPON A TIME IN WOODMAR......

A very enterprising couple of guys built the most unique eatery da' Region has ever seen. It was
1947, I believe, when these two pioneers bought a plot of overgrown land on the west side of
Indy Blvd, just south of 169th St, and began to realize their California-inspired dream.

For Lil' Stevie and me (and probably thousands of others), this long-forgotten establishment was
THE MAJOR landmark of the neighborhood as we were growing up in the fabulous 50's;
it seemed to symbolize everything that was great about life back then.

Those of you who have followed this thread have noticed how often the
SERENADE DRIVE-IN has been mentioned; I find myself searching in vain for
any photographic or written evidence of it----hoping to catch a glimpse of its distinctive
tower/facade peaking over the rooftops of our Magoun Avenue homes.

WELL.....

Here is an extremely rare flyer announcing the opening of this iconic
establishment, probably from 1947.

Larry
[/quote]
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  20:28:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BobK

Molchan was a bookkeeper for Pepsi Cola when "Wizard of Oz" munchkin actor Meinhardt Raabe persuaded him to try out for the role of Little Oscar, said Molchan's brother, Elmer.

The character was created in the 1930s by company founder Oscar Mayer to help market its products. Molchan played Little Oscar with relish for 36 years.

Bob

You are correct Sir!
That's the story I got last week when I did some fact checking. Thanx Bob! And please accept me apologies for "Thumping my chest" about knowing "everything" that went on at Pepsi in EC!
(Damn! I can't believe I never heard this story before though!)
LS
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  21:27:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Larry

Yes Larry, there is a date given for the opening of the Serenade.
But before we go there, let's turn the clock back to
when the Serenade was still "On The Drawing Board"

Here's a south view of the 6900 block of Indianapolis Blvd.

A southwest view, notice the two trees almost in line with each other.

And a NW view. Now the trees can be seen.

Larry, I think you should describe the area, what was and wasn't built yet. And the houses in view.

Edited by - Little Stevie on 03/12/2012 21:37:44
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  04:43:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE--

This is amazing (and RARE) stuff.

PIC #1---if you can believe it----is the west side of INDY BLVD just south of 169th, which
by the mid 50's would be a thriving area. When we talked with Mrs. Klish, how many times did she say
"There was nothing out here; it was almost like wilderness". And here is the proof. I'm surprised
there was even a sidewalk, which was obviously old at the time, since it's pretty beat up.
The dark, two-story house just right of center is the house that would be owned by Mr and Mrs Canal
in the 50's; they were old and they were mean (or was it just because Mike and I were always
tearin' up their end of the block?) The address is 7031 Magoun.

PIC #2 shows a couple of houses that had sprung up on Magoun in the 40's; the square
two-story building (7005 Magoun) is the one you and your dad used to cut through as you walked
to House of Pizza, right?
Across the street (on the west side of Magoun) are two houses: the one on the right
is that two-story one with the gabled windows on the 2nd floor (7014 Magoun); we never knew
who lived there, and as result found the house to be a bit spooky. The house on the left is 7024,
which in the 50's would be owned by Irene Miles, my brother Mike's 1st-Grade teacher at Porter School
(he always referred to her as "Mrs. Miles-Away".)

PIC #3 shows some of the houses along 169th (on the left) and maybe on Ridgeland or
Baring--north of 169th. I'm not sure about the buildings in the middle between the trees; they might
be those old apartments, but they also might be buildings that were torn down in the 50's; we will
encounter at least one of those in future pictures of the site.

On the right you can see the smokestack and tower of the Swift Factory (I believe) that was just
west of where Woodmar Shopping Center would be built in '54.

And which one of our enterprising Region "pioneers" is that standing in Pic#3?
And where will all of this lead.....?

Stay Tuned.....

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 03/27/2012 19:22:14
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  09:10:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

LS

Uh Huh??????
HMMMM!!!
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  09:16:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allen Wright told me that when he and Karl Fisher bought the land where the Serenade was to be built that the only buildings along the blvd. from 165th south was Keys Fiber and a service station.
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  09:32:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Roger D

Allen Wright told me that when he and Karl Fisher bought the land where the Serenade was to be built that the only buildings along the blvd. from 165th south was Keys Fiber and a service station.

Rodger, Maybe this has been asked before?
Is Allen still alive?
LS
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page