Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  07:31:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't remember exactly when they moved, but I'll guess somewhere mid-60's. I never knew the place when it was on Kennedy.
Yes, it was destroyed by an explosion and fire some time in the early 70's at the 165th address...Cj
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  09:30:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LR, Cj, and Tom -- If that ad was in the 1960-61 Yellow Pages, someone forgot to change Cande's address. Cande's moved to 2844 165th Street in 1958. In 1961, Sawyer's Bar-B-Q Restaurant was at the 6310 Kennedy Avenue address.
Ken

Edited by - wvcogs on 02/03/2012 09:40:38
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  11:05:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And, in early 60s the 165th location was bought by one of the Ventrellas and still
had the great Italian Beef sandwich. I am not sure the name changed that early, though--I don't remember a name change on the sign or building when I last visited and found that a Ventrella owned it.

Edited by - S C Jones on 02/03/2012 11:33:09
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  11:21:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvcogs

LR, Cj, and Tom -- If that ad was in the 1960-61 Yellow Pages, someone forgot to change Cande's address. Cande's moved to 2844 165th Street in 1958. In 1961, Sawyer's Bar-B-Q Restaurant was at the 6310 Kennedy Avenue address.
Ken

Wow, that's a lot earlier than I thought.
I don't even remember Sawyer's either. Geez, where have I been??...Cj
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  11:44:39  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All I can say for sure is that my family used to get the world's greatest Italian beef sandwiches at Cande's and the restaurant was located on 165th St. I can also say for sure that this was during the 1960s, but how far back into the 60s it was I'm not sure. I think I can safely say that as far back as 1962, when I was 13, Candes was on 165th.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  12:52:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, those are the dates.
Ken...
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  13:36:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by S C Jones

And, in early 60s the 165th location was bought by one of the Ventrellas and still had the great Italian Beef sandwich. I am not sure the name changed that early, though--I don't remember a name change on the sign or building when I last visited and found that a Ventrella owned it.
In the Top Hat yearbook ads, it was still Cande's in 1967, the latest book I have. An advertising picture of the restaurant showing a Ventrella's sign was posted on the Planet Hammond page of Facebook. No date was included with that picture.
Ken...
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  14:36:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken,

You know, as I think more about it, and with your input from the Top Hat, my last visit may have been several years later than I have been stating.

My Dad moved from Hammond sometime around 1967--but I was back a couple times getting my niece and nephews for vacation in the south.

As usual, your research and input is valuable.

SC
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  17:31:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LET'S NOT FORGET OUR SCHOLARLY DISCUSSIONS ABOUT da' REGION's PIZZA PARLORS on the "Hessville Map" thread (near the bottom of page 1; lots of street directories, etc).

In the meantime---in honor of our pal LITTLE STEVIE'S BIRTHDAY , here's MORE
PIZZA-CENTRIC YELLOW PAGE ADS & LISTINGS from the Hammond phone book ~

I forgot to mark down the YEAR of this page; it's probably 1959, since CANDE'S has moved to
165th St which, as Ken mentions, was in 1958.

Looks like House'o Pizza also had a LANSING location at this time.
--------------------------------------------------------------

LR, Cj, and Tom -- If that ad was in the 1960-61 Yellow Pages, someone forgot to change Cande's address.
Cande's moved to 2844 165th Street in 1958.

KEN---- you're right! I blew it!
The Yellow Pages Pizza section (in my previous post from 2/02/12 above) was from May of 1957,
not 60-61 as I stated. So, you are correct--Candes was still at 6310 Kennedy. So much for careful research.

ALSO-- You might recall (from the Hessville Map discussions) my raving about the BEST PIZZA of all time...
RICCARDI's, which ultimately moved into the old CANDE's location at 6310 Kennedy In the mid '60's;
HERE IT IS (above) in an earlier location at 7028 Kennedy (near Bocken Funeral Home).

I am so damned hungry now, just thinking about all of this....

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/04/2012 16:56:33
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  19:00:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Birthday to you.

Happy Birthday to you.

Happy Birthday DEAR Stevie

Happy Birthday to you.

AND MANY MOOOOOOOOORE!

Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  20:29:12  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Happy Birthday, Stevie!
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  23:05:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THANK YOU, THANK YOU All!
for the birthday wishes! It's been a great 57 revolutions around the sun!
We celebrated by dining not on pizza, but rib eye steak at the "Lighthouse" in Cedar Lake. By far, the best steak I've had!
Garlic mashed potatoes and a cup of french onion soup as sides!
I highly recommend the place!

Again, thank you to my "sheptalk" pals for remembering!

And a special "Thank You" to that former Magoun Ave. Hooligan, Larry! Had he not created his "I'm gettin' nuthin' for Christmas" video a year ago, it's likely I would have never met such a great group of people!

Edited by - Little Stevie on 02/03/2012 23:08:15
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2012 :  16:42:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AND HERE'S A YELLOW PAGES AD for the PATTY CAKE BAKERY, located next door to House of Pizza
(taken from the 1960-61 phone book).

I wonder why the girl has her thumb up her nose; odd choice by the artist.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/04/2012 16:43:10
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2012 :  18:21:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder why the girl has her thumb up her nose; odd choice by the artist.

LR

Do you remember the Seinfeld episode? She has her thumb beside her nose, scratching an itch, I am sure.

SC
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2012 :  21:32:25  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think she's sucking the icing from the cake off of her thumb.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

tommy51

35 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2012 :  22:18:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HassoBenSoba

Steve--

...I worked at Foster's Music as a sales-dork from late August-to early December, 1967... right when I started my junior year at Morton at the newly opened school.

The guy on the right was one of the old-time salesmen from the store;
the other two "customers"---pressed into service for the photo--- were
one of the saleswomen from the first floor and...can you guess the identity of the freaky-fruity guy on the left?

LR

YEAH, The old-time salesman's name was Bill, I believe. My friend and I used to go into the guitar department on the South side of the store and drool over those "old" Gibsons. He even bought a few guitar cases so that he could slip a guitar into them and walk out with a receipt and Bill's smiling wave. I never had the guts to steal anything myself.

Tommy
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  07:36:36  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tommy51

quote:

Steve--

...I worked at Foster's Music as a sales-dork from late August-to early December, 1967... right when I started my junior year at Morton at the newly opened school.

The guy on the right was one of the old-time salesmen from the store;
the other two "customers"---pressed into service for the photo--- were
one of the saleswomen from the first floor and...can you guess the identity of the freaky-fruity guy on the left?

LR

YEAH, The old-time salesman's name was Bill, I believe. My friend and I used to go into the guitar department on the South side of the store and drool over those "old" Gibsons. He even bought a few guitar cases so that he could slip a guitar into them and walk out with a receipt and Bill's smiling wave. I never had the guts to steal anything myself.

Tommy

My guess is that it was the presence of morals rather than the absence of courage that kept you from stealing, Tommy.
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  16:41:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RE: FOSTER'S MUSIC OF WOODMAR (photo on page 6 of this thread)

Tommy--

I think the salesman in that picture was named ED (maybe?); typical little book-wormy guy who sold pianos in the 2nd floor
showroom. I rarely spoke with him.

The salesman you're thinking of was BILL DUFFY, a big, kindly old guy whose office was on the south end of the building
in the front, which I think was the guitar department. Bill reminded me a lot of NED LOCKE (Ringmaster Ned on Bozo'z Circus);
I'd go in and talk with him often, and he always seemed weary, as if he couldn't wait to retire. Another friend
of Bill's (and mine) was a younger salesman (with brown hair and a moustache) named John Shotliff. The three of us were
chatting in Bill's office when I told them I had decided to quit the joint, to which John replied "Good; there's still hope for you
to become a real musician...". They both congratulated me, since they saw the place as a total dead-end.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/05/2012 20:56:38
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  18:48:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A FAVORITE PIC OF MINE-- taken on Halloween Day, 1954. Mike, our mom, and me in the black '50 Chevy.
Mike definitely looks happier than I do.

NOTE: One of my few public appearances wearing the omni-present leather hat with flaps in their "up" position.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/06/2012 18:48:54
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  22:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THE YEAR WAS 1954.....

and the fashion-conscious Rapchaks were certainly au courant in terms of winter-wear:

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/21/2012 02:03:49
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  22:50:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hate to say. . . . but . . .
kinda got that "Adolf" styled haircut there, don't cha?

Edited by - Little Stevie on 02/06/2012 22:51:00
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  01:53:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE---

Yeah, somethin' weird was going on, but I was too young to do anything about the way I was dressed (or "coiffed").
Considering the post-WWII and ANTI-COMMIE sentiments in 1954, I think my parents were asking fer' trouble.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/07/2012 01:56:26
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2012 :  00:59:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ANOTHER ONE FROM THE ARCHIVES....

Technically not a "Magoun Avenue" item, since it was taken at our former home on Hoffman Ave in North Hammond,
Christmas of '52. But I think it's worth a look.

Mike and I are engrossed in our new toys, while my dad is filling the joint with second-hand smoke (you can see it swirling around
his chin). On the table at the extreme right edge you can see part of his silver plastic ashtray, and two figures from our
Christmas stable---the VERY SAME figures that I display every Christmas to this day.

The chalk figure on the blackboard was drawn by my dad.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/08/2012 01:01:57
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2012 :  18:13:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In honor of
our lack of snow this winter, here are a couple of photos from February '56.

Carolyn & Bev posing in the snow

This is looking northeast from our front porch.
I believe the Rapchak's car is in the upper left of Carolyn.
And in the extreme upper right . . .nope. . . not the Serenade,
but the infamous apartment complex garage discussed earlier in this post!

And here we have Little Stevie either:

A. wishing he could go out and play in the snow too.
or
B. trying to warn his sisters about:

Those two "Magoun Ave. Hooligans" lurking across the street,
hunched down, with snowballs in hand!

Another note: sometime in my early days, somewhere between the ages of 3 and 6, I'd guess,
I re-created the view from the nine-span bridge crossing the Gibson RR yards by taking a ruler with a steel edge and carving the "RR tracks" into the window ledge you see in this picture.
The folks were not too happy about it but seems I was too young to be punished, not knowing what I had done.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 02/11/2012 18:56:54
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2012 :  21:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE--

Are you tryin' to tell me that you can see Mike and me in pic #2 across the street? You mean that dark area by the car,
to the right of the tree?

It's like one of them' Rorschach tests--- you're seeing Mike and me wherever you look!

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/08/2012 21:30:14
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2012 :  22:06:05  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What did you and Mike do to that poor kid? :)
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2012 :  22:48:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

STEVE--

Are you tryin' to tell me that you can see Mike and me in pic #2 across the street? You mean that dark area by the car,
to the right of the tree?

It's like one of them' Rorschach tests--- you're seeing Mike and me wherever you look!

Larry

Well Lar,
you know what they say about "the shoe"!
Besides, after looking at the figure your dad drew on the chalkboard, a very nice drawing BTW,
I noticed another figure to it's left.
With Mike holding a piece of chalk!
Could it be that. . . the devilish expression on that "creetchure" (as Ernest T would say)revealed the dark forces that would lead
Mike down his mischievous path of terrorizing all who lived on the Magoun/Baring block at that time? (Warziniack's excluded. Linda Blair couldn't scare them guys!)

And seduced his little brother into participating in those escapades?

Maybe it was Little Stevie's warning of the "snowball attack" that lead Mike into conjuring up the "Let's Pretend It's Christmas" episode later in life.
When Little Stevie found out that "Paybacks are a . . .
Then again, maybe it was Randy Hlad and a friend.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 02/08/2012 23:00:05
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  02:23:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Sheptalk Friends,

Don't worry, I'm still trying to decipher Little Steve's stream-of-consciousness in that last post!
I did get the reference to the Warziniak's, our neighbors across the alley; boy, these two
made Mike and me look like saints.

Here's a pic of the four of us in fall of '55 takin' in the scenery on glorious Magoun Avenue -

Now take a good look at the two Warziniak brothers in the front: have you seen their mugs anywhere recently?...
hanging in the Post Office, maybe? I hate to seem judgemental, but these guys seemed to be thugs-in-the-making.
Of course, who knows?..maybe they're both social workers or sensitivity trainers today. Actually, they were
pretty nice kids...except for their tendency to beat on anything that moved.

You can see that Mike and I are saying: "can we just forget all of this 'make nice for the camera' crap so we can
get the hell OUTTA HERE!?"

Actually, we rarely hung around with these guys...which is why I'm still around to talk about it today.

LR

STEVE-- Loved the pic of you looking out the window; it almost looks like a rear-projected scene with you superimposed on it.

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/09/2012 02:33:34
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  02:41:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So here we are,
safe and sound back inside 6912 Magoun, in our pristine new bathroom--

That's the SAME TILE FLOOR that's still intact in your (Steve's) house at 6920, if I recall correctly
from our walk-through last summer.

So Mike and I are safe...for the time being.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/10/2012 02:42:24
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  19:03:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lar,
was the tile the same color in your house as is at 6920? Taylor's builder must have bought it in bulk!

Looking at your picture with the Warziniacks,
I noticed the one on the right must have inspired Fonzie! "AAAYY"
(I never can remember their names and who was who)

Mike seems to be thinking "That one could be trouble! "
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 02/11/2012 19:07:08
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  19:18:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE--

They were Mssrs. Joey (left) and Mark Warziniak.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  23:01:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry has asked
me to post a certain picture from another album of ours, which I will once I scan it.
In the meantime, here are a few that I'm going to say were taken in'64 or so.
There are not any dates on the pictures or in the album to give me a definite date.

Uncle George's '59 DeSoto
Looking east, across the street, the house Larry's grandparents lived in. Above the roof, the Serenade sign is still visible.
Directly behind the DeSoto, in line with our sidewalk, you can see a car in a stall and the roof of the Serenade.
Maybe that would help determine the year this was taken.
On the left, a better picture of the "Meteor Garage"

My grandfather's Plymouth
Looking southeast, a late 50's model, I believe.
This is thee car that delivered the Golan's chocolate cake every Saturday morning!
Above the roof of Larry's grandparent's on the left, the Jewel sign Larry's Merry-go-round post refers to!
The Hlad's house and to the right, the Sandor's
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 02/12/2012 13:39:49
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  02:05:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE--

Thanks for posting these. If these were pre '63, my grandparents would still be living in the
brown house across the street.

So there's the Serenade's car-port thing extending out on its north
end; I had forgotten that it was even there.

Here we are, 50 years later, scanning every old photo we can find, searching for any evidence of the
Serenade Drive-In that was such a big part of our Magoun Avenue childhood(s). Someday we may turn up
a complete picture of the place.

Incidentally, a certain Mrs. Betty Fisher told me that Foster's
Music store, which replaced the Serenade, was built and opened in 1965.

Still hoping to catch a glimpse of an alien near that apartment garage.

Larry.

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/12/2012 02:06:50
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  07:37:30  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
LS:

I'm pretty sure your grandfather's Plymouth is a 1955 model.

Tomster
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  09:41:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this the Betty Fisher who is the widow of Karl Fisher one of the owners of the Seranade? I believe that the last name is spelled Fischer.
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  13:32:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Roger D

Is this the Betty Fisher who is the widow of Karl Fisher one of the owners of the Seranade? I believe that the last name is spelled Fischer.

Yes it is Roger,
Not sure about the spelling but that's what Larry was told.

Tom,
Good chance that it is a '55.
My father drove in the war and decided he didn't want to drive anymore.
My mother learned and they bought a used '55 Dodge. Two tone Green and light green with a white roof.
I might be able to find a picture of it somewhere.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 02/12/2012 13:39:23
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  15:37:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WHILE WE'RE DOIN' MAGOUN AVENUE STREET VIEWS with parked cars out front, here's our black '50 Chevy in a hail-storm,
taken in March of 1955. The apartments across the street are underway. There's the back of Kelly's Drive-In at 6914 Indy
(right behind the dirt pile), and behind it, the big apartment building east of Indy.

The garage on the right edge of the pic belongs to the same house you see on the LEFT side of Steve's '59 DeSoto photo above.

AND HERE'S THE SAME VIEW (the same car, but with sunshine, apartments, and brothers added) taken on
August 13, 1955.

Hey, I bet those apartment windows across the street were blown out by the Standard Oil explosion in Whiting.
Oh, no..wait...---that happened two weeks after this pic was taken.

Also, I was just thinkin'..that March '55 hailstorm (above) happened when our pal Lil' Stevie was just one month old. It might have been very traumatic
for him and would explain why--to this day---he sees Rapchak boys, Beach Boys, and Pepsi logos lurking everywhere he looks.

Just a theory (for more on this, check the recent posts on the "Hessville Map" thread).

ROGER--- can you tell us anything about Karl and Betty Fischer?

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/15/2012 00:29:13
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  16:08:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A hailstorm,eh?
Could be, could be. Ummm . . .
Ok, let's jump forward a few years. Earlier on this here thread, the subject of the "Magoun Ave. Bunco Club" was brought up.
Here's 2 photos I found from. . . I'm guessing '70-'73.
It's the Christmas gathering of the club.
Not sure, but I think it was at Mrs. Klish's home.

1st photo L to R Virginia Hlad, Eve Beda, My mother Genevieve Kush, Lorraine Sandor & Gene Koval 2nd photo L to R Georgia Stewart (barely in pic), Jane Ellen Molchan, Josephine Klish & Lilly Fleming

Looking at the second photo, I believe it's the Klish kitchen.
Lilly Fleming is the mother of Richard Fleming, who is in a photo on the "Hessville Map" thread, looking at a magazine in a drug store, I believe. Lilly & Virginia worked at Woodmar Jewelers on Indianapolis Blvd.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 02/12/2012 16:15:24
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  22:44:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE---

WHAT A CREW! Jeez, reminds me of my mother's Bunco Squad, which tore up the place a couple of times a year at our house
on Wednesday nights; I can still hear the ding-a-ling of that damned bell followed by the ear-splitting shrieks echoing deep
into the night. I always had to sleep through school the next day.

AND THERE SHE IS-- OUR PAL MRS. KLISH! It's good to see her in one of these shots, along with all
of the other Magoun Avenue Mamas (my family was long-gone from the neighborhood when these were taken).

As you know, Mrs. Klish's kitchen is still in beautiful, pristine condition (we've walked through it a few times during
our recent visits). The vintage 50's pink tiles on the walls and the cabinets look like they must have
when the place was brand-new.

Larry

BTW--- I was just napping on the living room floor, and Celeste had the Grammy Awards on da' TV;
I could've swore I heard/saw the BEACH BOYS as I woke up........

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/12/2012 22:48:30
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  22:57:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

STEVE---

WHAT A CREW! Jeez, reminds me of my mother's Bunco Squad, which tore up the place a couple of times a year at our house
on Wednesday nights; I can still hear the ding-a-ling of that damned bell followed by the ear-splitting shrieks echoing deep
into the night. I always had to sleep through school the next day.

BTW--- I was just napping on the living room floor, and Celeste had the Grammy Awards on da' TV;
I could've swore I heard/saw the BEACH BOYS as I woke up........

Oh Yeah!!!! that was a HISTORIC event! Once they're in your head, you can't help SMiLIN' when you hear their music!
The Beach Boys never toured with David Marks, the guitar player to the right of Mike Love. DM was an original member till Al Jardine returned. Murry Wilson told David "You're out!"

The whoops and hollers echoed across the entire 6900 block of Magoun Ave. when these women got together!
Mostly Lorriane Sandor! The heartiest laugh I remember from these girls!
I used to play in the basement or go anywhere to get away once I could drive.

More to come!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 02/12/2012 23:05:20
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2012 :  20:54:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to work at the Serenade in '61 as a cook. Allen Wright and Karl Fischer were the owners. They also owened the dry cleaners on the south. They closed the cleanersn had the building torn down and built a single story small business building. Karl and betty hadn't been married but about a year the best I remember. They were on their honeymoon somewhere in Tennesse when they were involved in and accident that almost killed them both. Mrs. Fischer was severly injured with wounds to her face and head, she was almost scalped. They were driving Mr. Fischer's show car a '56 T'Bird. He replaced it with a Corvair Monza Spider. Several years later they closed the Serenade, tore it down and built another single story building. Some of the business's located there were the state unemployment office, Allstate Ins.and the state license bureau. The last time I saw Karl Fischer he was doing maintance on the buildings. If I remember correctly when they bought the land there the only business from 165th to 173rd. was Keyes Fiber, two service stations and then the Serenade. They named the business The Serenade because they serenaded the customers through speakers located on the roof.
They incorporated the partnership as AlKar Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2012 :  21:00:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I almost forgot,The Fischers lived on Baring Parkway in Woodmar and the Wrights lived in Munster.
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  02:02:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ROGER---

THANKS FOR THE INFO; quite a story.

Steve and I have been in contact with Mrs Fischer and we're hoping to have a chance to meet
and speak with her about the Serenade and her other ventures in the early days of Woodmar/Indy businesses.
I don't want to say too much at this point and possibly jinx the deal; Mrs Fischer is somewhat pre-occupied with finding
a tenant for the former Foster Music/Unemployment office building, which has just been vacated by a medical group.

She's a vital link (and one of the few that remain) to the era that we're all interested in....and which we're trying to
preserve here on Sheptalk.

Thanks again for the info.

Larry

PS--You don't happen to have any pictures of the Serenade hanging around, do you?

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/14/2012 02:05:05
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  23:35:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THE MAGOUN AVENUE "PIONEERS"

Here they are, the original residents of Magoun Avenue in Woodmar, as listed in the Hammond 1954 Directory....
which documents the status of things right after the Rapchaks and Kush's had moved in (during September, '54).

I see that our next-door neighbors, the Feeneys (at 6908) did not respond. Also, I see the name GARMAN at 6928,
but I'm sure their name was GORMAN; sometime I'll post the story about my antics re: their backyard sandbox.
There's the Klish's, the Hlads, Bedas, Kurteffs....all the colorful characters that populated the
neighborhood back then (and this thread today).

HERE's A MINI-PHOTO GALLERY, taken from the OLPH Parish family book from 1970.

Our next-door neighbors on the north, the FEENEYS (6908 Magoun).

They were essentially Mr and Mrs Wilson to my brother Mike's Dennis the Menace. They were quiet and never bothered us,
but Mike would occasionally annoy them by throwing stones at their bird-house or calling Mrs. Feeney "near-sighted"
(I'm not sure why). Definitely strained our relationship with them. Their son was a cop who lived at home for a while
(which didn't seem to deter Mike). I always remember their green and yellow '57 Dodge parked out front.
-------------------------
Next, our next-door neighbors to the south, the TAYLORS (6916)

There's plenty about them on this thread; Mr Taylor was in real estate and sold both the Rapchaks and Kushs'
their new homes in '54; and he had the courage to stay and live right between us. They moved to Hessville in '59;
I don't recognize all these kids---I only remember the two oldest, Mark and Scott (see above posts).
---------------------------

Here's the SANDORS, the girls from across the street (I wonder why they're not listed in the '54 directory?)

Mrs Sandors is in Steve's "Bunco Squad" pictures above, apparently the life of the party at the time.
Steve can fill us in on the two sisters.....yes, by all means do, Steve. Remind me again, which of the ladies
did you see recently when she came to town?

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/16/2012 01:53:08
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2012 :  01:02:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's AMAZING what you . . .
dig up, Lar!
The Feeneys.
I remember them well. I think they threw the first big hoopla for the neighborhood that I can remember . . .some time in. . . ahh. . .'62?
I ahh. . . forgot what the occasion was but I know I wasn't happy about it at all!

The Taylors.
I really don't remember much about them. Mostly what I've read here from your accounts.

The Sandors.
Yes, many memories of the Sandors.

Lorraine, as I stated in the "Bunco" post, was the most cheerful, happiest, optimistic person on the block.
She always, always was friendly, caring and downright good natured to anyone she came in contact with, in my eyes anyway.

Charlie was a surveyor for the Hammond Water dept. I believe. I think I stated earlier on here that he had his transit set up one
Saturday afternoon and showed Rod Hlad and myself the moon.
That lit a spark in me for astronomy.

Claudia was the oldest daughter. She is on the left. A beautiful girl, as a young "Little Stevie" noticed as he ah . . . "aged".
She still lives on Magoun.

Lynn is the daughter I see when she comes into town to visit her dad.
She also caught "Little Stevie's" attention as he was ah. . . "growing up". However, she seemed more interested in Ronny Hatcher or Randy Hlad at the time,
than "Little Stevie" and friends of his age group. She rents a car from my part-time place of employment, Enterprise.
I've told her about "Sheptalk" and the many threads on it to which she and Claudia could relate to. I hope she looks in now and then.

The last name on the above list: "Persic, Jos T" was related to the Sandors.
"Nickolas Guzzino" is listed at 6931 Magoun. So maybe the Sandors bought the house from him.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 02/15/2012 01:59:10
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2012 :  09:15:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,

The first name on the list is Evelyn Schurr—she was the girls phys. ed. (Gym, back in the day) teacher at Morton.

Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2012 :  19:30:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I don't have any pictures of the Serenade. Wish I did.
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  01:57:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE--

Wasn't there something interesting about one of the across-the-street neighbors---something that happened
in the mid-late '60's (after I had left the 'hood)...which involved trying to get a car out of a heavy snow
(was it the guy at 6935 Magoun?) I think it might be worth recounting here.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/16/2012 01:58:46
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  09:53:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you ever stop to think that the reason that a neighbor is not listed in the 'phone book is because they didn't have one? Back then many people did not have one. Just a thought..
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  21:29:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

STEVE--

Wasn't there something interesting about one of the across-the-street neighbors---something that happened
in the mid-late '60's (after I had left the 'hood)...which involved trying to get a car out of a heavy snow
(was it the guy at 6935 Magoun?) I think it might be worth recounting here.

Larry

Yeah there is Larry!

January 1967. The Big Snow!
I know there's a thread about this elsewhere on Sheptalk but I'm going to post about it here.

This first photo was taken from our backdoor.The drift was almost 4 ft. high!

The main reason for posting this photo is to show the 2 trees in the alley on the right.
(Larry, you didn't remember them on our "Walk thru Da "Hood".)

Next we have a north view of the alley

The former Rapchak garage is the second one on the right

Here is a view of the apartments across the street from Rapchak's former home

And now. . . looking south on Magoun

We see a man shoveling out a parking space

That man was none other than Delbert Evans. He and his wife, Francis, lived at 6935 Magoun.
They didn't have any children but were friendly. Francis seemed to be "high society" to Little Stevie back then
since she always had on make-up and was what seemed to be "dressed up".
Del worked at Inland I believe.

Anyway, After Del dug out the parking spot you see him working on, he somehow moved his car that's in the street, into the cleared space.
A few hours later, a pay loader, one of those big bucket jobbies, came down the street to clear a path.
As they did this, they piled snow up on the yards.
Well, they made a pile behind Del's car, basically pinning it in its spot.
Delbert would have none of this since he had spent so much time freeing his auto. He got in the car and started to rock it back and forth,
trying to work his way out of the snow beside and in back of him.
The more the car slipped and stuck, the madder he got. His back window was frosted over so he had the driver's door open to look out of, over his shoulder.
The car was facing south and when he gunned it backwards for what he thought would be the final push to free it, he forgot how close he was to the pile of snow next to him.

It sounded like a gunshot when the driver's door snapped off the car, stuck in the snow-pile.
No one dared laugh, 'cept Jeff Dembowski, he laughed at any and everything.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 02/16/2012 21:46:06
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page