Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2011 :  23:22:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Recently I had the good fortune of getting back in touch with Steve Kush, who lived 2 doors down from us on Magoun Avenue back in the great old days; we had only spoken once in the last 50 years.

Our houses--at 6912 and 6920 Magoun, were EXACTLY the same design, down to the last inch. Steve's family moved in (he wasn't born yet) on Labor Day weekend, 1954, and we moved in 2 weekends later. Apparently, the electricity in our house wasn't on yet, and my dad---for the rest of his life---remembered how Mr. Kush ran a big extension cord out of his basement window over to our house, supplying us with power until ours came on. Now that's a good neighbor!

What's really cool is that Steve (and his sisters Caroline and Bev) remember A LOT of details from our days on Magoun, so we decided to start this thread and share some of the memories and photos with Sheptalk---sort of a chronicle of those fabulous times. I assume Steve will be signing up soon, and we'll see where it goes.

Here's a pic of my late brother Mike (L) and I in front of our house in the summer of 1955 (this pic has been posted elsewhere on Sheptalk for a few years). Life was good.

And here he is --"Little Stevie" Kush, in THE CHAIR-- barber chair, that is...right up the block at Floyd Darnell's Barber Shop, on the corner of 169th and Magoun; can't be sure from this pic if Steve was enjoying the experience or not...

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2011 :  07:44:51  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm going to be following this thread very closely. I love it already!

No, I didn't live in that neighborhood, but I know I am going to be able to relate to this stuff. Life was pretty much the same in the various neighborhoods of Hammond in those days, and life was GOOD.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2011 :  19:42:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Larry! Just signed on this morning!This is more of a test to see if I'm a doin' it right. Love the pictures! Ahhh. . . I was such a cute kid back then . . .wonder what went wrong?
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2011 :  19:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahhh . . . Life on the 6900 block of Magoun Ave. I spent the first 25 years of my life there. Watched good friends move away, only to be replaced by sometimes not so good fiends. A small correction here Larry, "Carolyn" not "Caroline". Anyway, once I figger out how to rescue all of my data from my old computer's hard drive (it has a physical problem, sounded like it broke a fan belt or something) I'll be able to download pictures from those good old days!

Edited by - Little Stevie on 08/14/2011 19:57:25
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2011 :  20:44:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE---

You're here! That's great.

To my fellow Sheptalk-ers, I think Steve will be a great asset to the blog; in addition to being an authentic boomer from the good old days, he and his sisters (sorry, Carolyn) have LOTS of cool photos from the era, which I'm sure they will share.

RE: the barber shop pic above---it's amazing to actually see that chair and the shelf after 50 years, since I spent a lot of time there myself. That's Floyd Darnell's assistant in the photo (don't remember his name), who was a very quiet guy. For anyone who might remember, there was (and still is) a small building on the northwest corner of Magoun and 169th (the facade of Carson's in Woodmar Mall is still visible to the north). I think the building has just endured its umpteenth reincarnation as a Mexican grocery or something. Back in the 50's the majority of the building was a laundromat/cleaners, and Darnell's Barber Shop occupied the tiny, narrow space on the west end, which had it's own entrance. That door is now painted a light grey color.

Speaking of cute kids, here's a pic of me from 1955. Man, I've sure gone downhill since, but that's life. Despite lots of scary stuff back then, I was a pretty happy kid.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2011 :  21:53:09  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome, Steve! I can't wait to see your pics and read your stories!

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2011 :  22:59:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanx Tom! It's good to be here! I think Larry and my sisters can recall more of those "good old days" when the Rapchaks still lived on Magoun. It's gonna be awhile before I can post any pics. You see, last Monday, my Sony Viao computer crashed. I heard the infamous "Sound of Death", that clicking noise I hope none of you ever have to experience. Recovering any of the files seems unlikely. Yep, all of my pics were on it. However, I'm sure I'll be able to get them from both sisters. We've exchanged most of our photos over the past year or two. "The Red Kush Family Album" that has most of the pics Larry mentions, luckily, I gave a copy of it to Carolyn so it'll be easy to get them back. The picture I use of myself is a slide from 1959. It's around here somewhere or hey Larry, can you copy it off one of my e-mails to you and send it back to me? That would be great!
I was hoping we'd remember that barber's name by now. I remember Floyd being tall with dark hair. Of course, at 4 years old, everybody seemed "tall".
Larry, I think you otta post the 2 stories of how the Rapchak family children "abused" Little Stevie. You know, The "Christmas Tree" in the yard and Nancy & her shovel. Neither of which do I remember.
No respect at all! No wonder I grew up idolizing Rodney Dangerfield!
Next up . . . how I recently became known as "Little Stevie". And no . . . it's NOT what you're thinking
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 08/31/2011 23:53:44
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2011 :  01:55:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE--

The "abuse" stories---oh, my...I'm embarrassed to think about them.

One late summer evening--it was 1959---we were all playing together out front. For some reason, between watching the "Go-Go White Sox" win the AL pennant that year, Mike and I suddenly became obsessed with Christmas(!). So as soon as school started, we started with the "Oh, man, I can't WAIT 'til fall, Halloween and Christmas get here!" So Mike takes the garden hose (with the pressure nozzle) and hangs it in the evergreen tree in our front yard. Then he approaches our pal "Little Stevie" (I think you were 4 at the time) and says "Let's pretend we're decorating the Christmas tree!" I remember you standing there, cheerfully pantomiming hanging ornaments on the evergreen, totally unaware of the hose about a foot in front of your face. Did I stop Mike? Nope.
The rest of us kids knew what was coming, so we stood to the side of the tree; only gullible Little You-Know-Who was left standing in the middle. So Mike slips away to the side of the house, slams on the faucet, and you get blasted with water. I'm sure you went home crying, while Mike and I, like the two jerks that we were, howled with laughter However, I'm sure we were made to answer to our parents for our hooliganism.

RE: The other story (Nancy and the shovel)--I've unearthed some photographic evidence of this one, which I'll post soon.

RE: Floyd Darnell, the barber--- after he left the Woodmar site, he opened up shop (c. 1963) in Hessville at Parrish Ave and 173rd St. with partner Doug Paris; today Paris' Barber Shop STILL occupies the site. Floyd left sometime in the late 60's and opened up his own shop in the old ALEX SITNICK GROCERY STORE!, across from OLPH School on Arizona Ave (see the "OLPH 8th-Graders" thread here on Sheptalk for some surreal memories of that place). I was a customer of Floyd's in that location until the first time I came home from college in the fall of '69 with fairly long hair. I asked for just a trim, but Floyd said "Naw, you want a regular cut", to which I repeated "No, just a trim." So what do you think my old pal Floyd did??? Practically a buzz-cut. Cultural divide, I guess. Becuase of that, I boycotted barbers and didn't get another "real" haircut for another 14 years (when I did that silly Detective video in 1983 seen on "Video Violence in the Region" on Sheptalk).

STEVE--OH NO! I think I got my facts wrong! In the first post here, I said that we moved into our Magoun house 2 weeks after your family did, in Sept. of 1954. It must have only been ONE week later; here's a pic of brother Mike on his first day of school (at Porter in Woodmar, with me looking through the screen door). Our mother's inscription on the back of the pic says: 9/13/54. So we must have moved in the second weekend of September, and Mike had to immediately go off for his first-ever day in school.

Poor kid; my mom still recalls how he hated the experience.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 08/17/2011 13:00:16
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2011 :  11:34:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,
That building on 173rd and Parrish was the one Joan Poole and I stopped in one
verrrry cold day that she and I were the only one's from Maryland Ave. in our Grand Park neighborhood to hoof it to school. We were frozen by the time we got to that building, so stopped in to warm up--and continued on to school--wonder why we didn't turn around and go back home?
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2011 :  12:48:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Abused . . .ABUSED! ! ! Larry, I wonder if my two olders sisters were there to "protect" me. Nah . . .knowing them, they're the ones who probably gave Mike the idea orginally. Ya know, I never did learn how to swim. Bet it was because of that face full of water at an early impressionable age. Done in by two of my older pals whom I idolized. Never helped decorate a Christmas tree all these years either. Now I know why.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 08/31/2011 23:53:11
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2011 :  14:50:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even though I grew up on Magoun, once I was able to drive, I found a great place to buy a beef sandwich. The Sub Shop on Kennedy in Hessville. My dear departed neighbor, Cy Beda & I would go there after getting out of school at Gavit for our lunch. The owner's name was Randy Balas, I believe. There was an tiny, older woman that worked there who would just crack Cy up with her demeanor. She wore her hair in a beehive just like Marge Simpson. Always had on bright red lipstick that looked like she put on in one swipe. Then, in her gravelly voice she'd ask "May I help you?". Why, I don't know but this would make Beda crack up instantly. He wouldn't even be able to tell her what he wanted. She'd ask "What's with him?" which would cause him to drop on the floor in full blown laughter. I tell her "He's just glad we're out of school for the day" then order both of our meals. A great place. Had a sandwich from there today.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 08/31/2011 23:52:50
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2011 :  02:25:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE--

I think I've only had ONE single sandwich from that place; can't remember how I liked it. I'll take your word for it...also because I've heard lots of other positive comments about the food. Are the sandwiches still the same quality today as you remember from years ago? I wonder if it's still run by the same family (for another story about preserving the quality of Hessville's best fast food, check the thread "Those Fabulous Hot Dog Tacos" here on Sheptalk).

Give me your recommendation for their best sub, and I'll try it out soon.

RE: The old store-front buildings on the 7000 block of Kennedy:

If anyone checks out the Toy Store video I have on You-Tube, I deal with the old "HESSVILLE HOBBIES" store that I mistakenly thought was in that very same store-front where the sub shop is today. WRONG!
I've checked some old business listings, and HESSVILLE HOBBIES was a few doors south of the present-day sub shop---at 7020 Kennedy, which is now an empty lot (the old Scotsman who ran the place during 1960-61 was named James O'Watt). One more door to the south (a 2-story place that I think is now a bar) was the location of the legendary GRANDMA'S DELICATESSAN, at 7018 Kennedy. MY brother Mike discussed it elsewhere on Sheptalk.

GRANDMA'S Deli was run by your typical old-world woman, a real grumpy old gal named Mary Zaleski. She lived in the back of the place, and would come waddling down a small staircase when you entered. I remember a beautiful spring evening in May of 1965, shortly before I graduated from OLPH. I stopped by Granny's with 3 friends - Jim Dieotte, Fred Dempsey and Bob Chamberlain--the latter two who are no longer with us (all of these guys are pictured in my 8th-grade class photo, posted on page 1 of Sheptalk's "OLPH 8th-GRADERS" thread).

So Granny clomps down those stairs in silence, scowling at us--she KNEW that we were only there to give her grief. We drifted around between the shelves, talking and cutting-up very quietly, while the old lady followed us Commandant-style, her steely eyes fixed on the 4 jerks who obviously didn't intend to buy anything. Rather impulsively, Jim D. picked up a small jar of Gerber's baby food and said to Dempsey "Hey, this is what you need" whereupon Granny---without warning--grabs a big old, thick YARD-STICK from alongside the counter, rushes over to us and begins to ATTACK Jim by jabbing him repeatedly in the ribs! He was shocked into dropping the jar back onto the shelf, and the four of us, stunned but still shrieking with laughter, crashed into each other and out the screen door, down the front steps and onto our bikes.

I know you guys don't need to be told this---but life just isn't the same anymore as it was in those days; you couldn't make this stuff up.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 08/29/2011 01:36:38
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2011 :  07:43:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a pic I cobbled together some time ago for one of those "Granny's" discussions.

For those who think 'flash mobs' are something new, think again. During lunch hour, students would pile into that place. Well, she could hardly keep an eye on one student nevermind 20 million of them. They would ripoff food items and leave.
No wonder the old girl had a "Kill Bill" attitude...Cj
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2011 :  08:35:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ,
Is the beige, aluminum-covered jutting out piece in the middle of the building
an addition? It looks like a ticket booth, or a takeout window.

I don't know the building at all, just curious about that odd feature.

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2011 :  09:38:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you entered it from the left, then made another left to enter the building proper, like some kind of foyer (I'm not even sure if that's the right word for it). I was only in the place once many, many moons ago and I vaguely remember even that.
If you look at it on today's Google Satellite, at eye level, the front has changed again. Gone is the "ticket booth" and the door to the right...Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 08/27/2011 09:45:32
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2011 :  03:08:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ--

THAT'S TERRIFIC! I remember your brilliant collage from the other thread, and am glad you added it here. That pretty much sums it up!

It's hard to remember the actual configuration of the building as it looked back then. The present day facade looks TOO WIDE--as if the whole storefront was expanded somehow. The "ticket booth" structure was definitely NOT there in the old days; I think the blue door in the picture was the original door--but I seem to remember that it was in the exact MIDDLE of the building. Oh, well..we'll probably never know.

I DO remember that the door had an old metal plate-style advertising poster bolted to it that showed a loaf of Wonder Bread and said: "Helps Build Strong Bodies 8 Ways!", which was way out-of-date even in the mid '60s, since everybody knew that Wonder Bread built strong bodies "12 WAYS".

YES, the place is different today than it is in the color pic; I was just standing in front of it a week ago Friday. Incidentally, the building barely visible on the left was an insurance company in the '60s....and might even still be one today.

Larry R
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2011 :  07:34:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, what you have described is how I remember the place, although I don't remember the Wonder Bread thing.
Behind the insurance (State Farm or Allstate) bldg is where we spent our lunch hour smoking cigarettes. I do remember the guys who complained about going hungry on Wednesdays because Granny's was closed and there was nobody else close enough to rip off a pop and bag of chips...Cj
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2011 :  19:18:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ--

I remember going in to Granny's during the winter months, late in the afternoon, with my friend Charlie Harvey; we loved giving the old lady a hard time. The place was dark and depressing...maybe one flourescent light on above the counter, which ran lengthwise along the north (right-side) wall as you came in. Coolers were in the back over on the left. Shelves were arranged perpendicular to the front of the store. Old wooden floors, etc. Absolute, tomb-like silence. Pretty creepy, especially after we found out about the yardstick.

ALSO -- I'm looking at your picture, and I'm POSITIVE that the building as it exists today is much WIDER that it was originally; I'd say the entire left THIRD of the building was added-on more recently-- or maybe it was a separate building that is now joined to Granny's by means of a new facade. That means that the blue door on the left was originally in the exact CENTER of Granny's joint, which is as I remember it. The building was covered in that old tan tar-paper type stuff that looked like bricks---the same surface that so many of the old buildings in Whiting, etc were built with.

Would like to see an old pic of Kennedy Avenue to check on this.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 08/28/2011 19:29:00
Go to Top of Page

tommy51

35 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2011 :  21:04:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HassoBenSoba

STEVE--

RE: Floyd Darnell, the barber--- after he left the Woodmar site, he opened up shop (c. 1963) in Hessville at Parrish Ave and 173rd St. with partner Doug Paris; today Paris' Barber Shop STILL occupies the site.

Larry

Yes, I remember Doug, but forgot his first name until now. I knew his brother Terry a bit; a consummate bachelor as I recall. I remember another barber with him but not by name. I used to go to a barber shop near the old Morton because an old guy (last name Mann?) knew how to give a great razor-cut. Remember those? He retired, and duh, since Paris' was a short walk away from my home, I started going to him.

Mann had showed me how to have my hair long, and yet slicked backed for school-time (I used Butch-wax). He hated Mr. Ruff and Mr. Kurteff, and so he delighted in me keeping my hair as long as possible. Once Kurteff called Mann and told him my hair was not short enough. Mann told me he raised hell with Kurteff and told him to get a barber's license if it didn't suit him! My main Mann (pun intended).

Next to Wayne Williamson, I had the longest hair at Morton, but nobody but Mann and Paris could keep it that way.

BTW, before it was Paris Barber Shop, it was a corner store run by an old gal who had the highest prices in town. My dad used to send me there to buy his favorite cigarettes - Herbert Tarryton!

Tommy
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2011 :  21:07:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember Charlie.
I went into a joint in New Orleans that sold chicken feet, herbs, spells and crap like that. It was a real close description of Granny's that you just gave, right down to the old lady herself that was about ten years younger than God. The place had an undescribable stink as well. Too much to to be letting the imagination take over.

You are right about the building. The door was in the center. I really don't remember too much else about the place except the ambiance did not fit my requirements at the time, but I'm not a prude!

I wonder if someone on Facebook might have an old photo like that squirreled away somewhere? Hmmmm...Cj
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2011 :  22:27:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Larry, I have never ordered anything but the hot beef sandwich. W/o pickles, just peppers. That's another thing Beda would crack up about. I'd tell the old lady "No pickles, just peppers". Then Beda would say "She's gonna ask you what you want on it" Sure enough, She'd come from the back where they made 'em and ask "Do you want peppers & pickles?" in that gravely voice of hers. "No, just peppers" I'd turn and sure enough, Beda was on the floor doin' all he could to keep from peein' in his pants.
I don't know if it's still in the family but they are good. Don't look that big until you start to eat it. Quite filling. Maybe others on here will be able to let us know if Randy's family still own it. Or who was the lady I'm thinking of. Also, looking at the 1st picture you posted here of you & Mike I'm wondering, what are you guys holding? Trophies? For being the "Magoun Ave. Pranksters"?
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 08/31/2011 23:49:48
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2011 :  01:00:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few thoughts:

Steve-- the 1955 picture of Mike and me was also posted here on Sheptalk under the "KELLY'S DRIVE-IN" thread, and the same question came up; MIke himself replied that he thought we were holding some kind of candy dispensers.

CJ -- There's a number of Charlie Harvey stories filed away here; I just updated one of the them on the "OLPH 8th Graders" thread.

Tommy51-- My late brother Mike was good friends with Terry Paris; I have their old grade school pics from OLPH somewhere.
ALSO-- I knew Wayne Williamson quite well at Morton in '67-68; he was a year older than me, and we did a lot of stage/musical stuff together. Went into the military when he graduated, I recall.

Yeah, Kurteff was pretty infamous. The one time I was marched into him for a hair-related offense was at the new Morton in 1967; he was very low-key and not at all threatening--MAYBE because he remembered me and my family from......MAGOUN AVENUE in Woodmar, where me and "Little Stevie" grew up! George Kurteff lived at home with his old man in the '50s, a mere 6 houses south of Steve's place. I remember Georgie owned some type of snazzy sports car, which he would keep parked in their driveway. In the meantime, his old man was continually watering his grass in the summer---one of those prize-winning lawn types, you know---and would blast out of his house and ream our butts if we dared to ride our bikes over his precious garden hose, which was always lying across the (public) sidewalk. I remembered my dad referred to Kurteff, Sr. as "that old goat".

WHICH BRINGS US BACK TO MAGOUN AVENUE, and another great old pic that I've recently unearthed. Talk about ABUSE!--poor "Little Stevie" just couldn't catch a breaks from us Rapchaks!

From Spring of 1959, my sister Nancy and Little what's-his-name doing some prospecting in our backyard on a lovely sunny day. Only problem is that, a split-second after this pic was taken, I'm SURE that the Steve-ster was chowin' down on a shovel full of dirt. Really sad.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 08/29/2011 01:35:53
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2011 :  21:28:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You Rapchaks were just CRUEL!!! Water in my face! A shovel full of dirt! How did I survive? Maybe that's why you moved . . . Mike & May couldn't stand to see Little Stevie continuously abused by their children! And to think I laid my first lip lock on Nancy (should go on the other thread "My first kiss") at the age of 4 or 5. Now my life's journey is becoming clear. No wonder! I got lost at the Woodmar Shopping Center at age five. I asked a policeman if he thought we could find my parents and he replied "I dunno kid . . . there's soo many places they could hide!"
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 08/31/2011 23:50:15
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2011 :  10:32:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This question is irrelevant to the cuteness of the pic of Nancy and Stevie, but I am lost in the details of the pic.

What is the thing to Nancy's right, that looks almost like it may be covering the house next door?
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2011 :  15:33:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SC--

It's a bed-sheet or something similar, swaying on the clothesline.
That's the bottom of our garage visible under it, and our neighbor Pete Feeney's garage in the next yard. Not sure why my mother let the two young'ns throw dirt around so close to the drying laundry.

The corner of the house directly behind the kids was a new bedroom/kitchen addition that was built the previous summer ('58), and the garage was added that Fall, right around Halloween time. I remember my dad and his brother-in-law working out there on cold nights with the incandescent work-lights hanging on the beams, while my brother Mike and I were out front creating our usual havoc for the neighbors.

Hmmm...Steve---seems like there might be another story here somewhere; something about a pumpkin; help me out.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2011 :  15:38:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mama didn't know, I bet. That may be the clothesline pole on the ground
beside Nancy. Maybe they were digging to China--a thing we all seem to
have tried, if half-heartedly, once in our childhood...
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2011 :  18:33:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by S C Jones

Mama didn't know, I bet. That may be the clothesline pole on the ground
beside Nancy. Maybe they were digging to China--a thing we all seem to
have tried, if half-heartedly, once in our childhood...

SC, I asked Larry the same thing when I first saw it.
Larry, who took the picture? Mike? Your Mom? Probably Mike. Probably told Nancy to "pitch the dirt in Little Stevie's face". Well, wearin' a hat like that I guess I deserved some criticism but a face full of dirt?
RE: Pumpkin Story: Yeah, go ahead Larry . . . tell 'em the pumpkin story. Don't forget how hard my Dad worked on it or why my mother

couldn't get the candle to stay lit. JEEEZZZ!!! You guyz were downright mean!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 08/31/2011 23:51:21
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2011 :  18:51:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

A few thoughts:

MAYBE because he remembered me and my family from......MAGOUN AVENUE in Woodmar, where me and "Little Stevie" grew up! George Kurteff lived at home with his old man in the '50s, a mere 6 houses south of Steve's place. In the meantime, his old man was continually watering his grass in the summer---one of those prize-winning lawn types, you know---and would blast out of his house and ream our butts if we dared to ride our bikes over his precious garden hose, which was always lying across the (public) sidewalk. I remembered my dad referred to Kurteff, Sr. as "that old goat".

LR

Old man Kurteff, what a pain he was. After the fabled "Rapchak Hooligans" left the 'hood, his self-esteem became stronger. He was always waterin' that damn lawn! He'd come out yellin' about riding over his sacred hose. Made us younger kids ride down the driveway to his north, into the street, then back up the driveway south of him. I'm pretty sure my Dad and maybe Pete Beda had a talk with him. Didn't want the young-ins riding in the street. He also edged his lawn so that there was a gap between the grass and sidewalk just wide enough for our bicycle tires to get caught in. He was hoping that we'd fall and skin our knees & elbows on the sidewalk. Generally, we would fall on his beloved grass then he'd come out yelling we should be more careful. Looking back, it's a shame I was brought up to be respectful of elders. I might have told that S.O. B. to shove that hose where the sun don't shine! I guess he didn't like kids. What a shame his parents didn't feel the same way.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 08/31/2011 23:45:33
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2011 :  19:03:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This might be a little off topic but it will relate to youse guyz who are a little older than me. Check out this press release. 44 years later. . .
http://www.brianwilson.com/news/press_08-30-11.html
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 08/31/2011 23:46:12
Go to Top of Page

tommy51

35 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2011 :  21:21:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

A few thoughts:

Tommy51-- My late brother Mike was good friends with Terry Paris; I have their old grade school pics from OLPH somewhere.
ALSO-- I knew Wayne Williamson quite well at Morton in '67-68; he was a year older than me, and we did a lot of stage/musical stuff together. Went into the military when he graduated, I recall.

Yeah, Kurteff was pretty infamous. The one time I was marched into him for a hair-related offense was at the new Morton in 1967; he was very low-key and not at all threatening--

LR

Well, I lasted about two minutes my first day in '65. He referred me to the office for the inevitable "hair-related offense" and he zoned in on me all that year. I never shared my offenses with my father if I could help it, but when I mentioned the name Kurteff, he took notice and called him an appropriate name, I thought. That was the only time my father ever told me to disobey an order, and to tell him if Kurteff ever gave me any more crap.

Well he did, and I did. After a brief phone call Ol' George left me alone, no matter how long my hair got. I loved it.

Tommy

Go to Top of Page

tommy51

35 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2011 :  21:32:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Little Stevie

This might be a little off topic but it will relate to youse guyz who are a little older than me. Check out this press release. 44 years later. . .
http://www.brianwilson.com/news/press_08-30-11.html
LS

Wow - thanks! This is great stuff; never heard of all this before. I'll be purchasing something from all this.

Tommy
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2011 :  22:31:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're Welcome! You're Welcome! You're Welcome! Tommy! This tidbit was just released a day or two ago.Glad to see this great piece of music see the light of day.
Brian Wilson . . . Met him in St. Louis in 04. Went to see him preform "SMiLE" that he "Resurrected" with his backup band, The Wondermints. I'm sure you all know the story behind "SMiLE" Had a great time!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 08/31/2011 23:27:49
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  00:15:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, guys--

RE: the dirt shoveling' picture-- it was definitely taken by one of my parents, probably my dad.

ANYWAY---1958 Halloween was approaching - incredibly cool time in my life! One cloudy weekday afternoon, my brother Mike and I were invited into "Little Stevie's" house by one of his sisters, where we pounded away on an old player piano they had in their basement. We then plugged in this tin electric stove-oven toy that the girls had down there; it was one of those KENNER-like toys, and the top surface REALLY heated up! You could burn the crap out of yourself on those things! So as it heated up, Mike took a little wax pumpkin candle that we found down there, and set it on top of the stove. We enjoyed watching the orange wax streaming down the side of the thing (can't imagine why the girls left us down there unattended!)

Here's an E-Bay pic that Mike sent me a few years ago; this may, in fact, be exactly the same type of pumpkin candle that we destroyed that day.

Then we went upstairs, and I looked out the Kush's front window and saw Little Stevie (3 yrs old) and his dad (Andy) walking hand-in-hand back from the Jewel Food store on Indy and 169th; Dad was pulling one of those metal shopping baskets-on-wheels. They came in the back door into the kitchen, and Steve's dad took a little (real) pumpkin out of one of the brown bags, set it on the snack bar/counter, took a small paring knife, and proceeded to carve a Jack-O-Lantern. I was standing in back of them, and Steve just stood there wonderstruck as he watched his dad meticulously carve two triangle eyes, a triangle nose, and mouth (I remember that he carved the face before doing any cleaning out of the pumpkin, which I had never seen done).

A few nights later, Little Steve's Little Pumpkin plus a bigger one were lighted up on their porch, and Mike and I were prowling around the neighborhood looking for trouble. While my dad and his brother-in-law were in back working inside our new garage, Mike and I would grab big handfuls of dry, brown leaves and stuff them into the big pumpkin on our own porch. The leaves would catch fire and we'd run out to the sidewalk and watch the thing flare up in the dark; we called it the "Hot House Pumpkin."

Apparently bored with almost burning down our house, Mike and I walked down to Steve's house. "Hey, there's the little pumpkin I watched Steve's dad carve....", but Mike cut me off: "So what?" Then we took the lids off of Steve's pumpkins and spit on the candles, which put them out. Nice guys. Then we rang the doorbell, and Steve's mom came to the door. "Mrs. Kush, your pumpkins went out" said the morons from two doors down. Mrs. Kush (who was one of the nicest, most even-tempered people I've even known), took a wax drinking straw, lit it, and used it like a taper to re-light the pumpkins. But the candles only sputtered, since they had been doused in spit. She tried several times without success, and Mike and I slunk away into the night, giggling like the two weasels that we were.

We must have been possessed or something.

Here's a photo from that same Halloween; Mike as the skeleton, Nancy, and me as the cat.

Mike and I were on our third year in these costumes, and we were due for a change. His costume originally came with a goofy-looking muslin mask; I can still remember the way it smelled. But it was replaced for Halloween '58 with this more detailed plastic one. The design of the costume itself was a bummer, since the skeleton arms were printed on the torso, instead of on the actual arms of the suit, like other versions we had seen.

Such was life. LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 09/03/2011 02:12:08
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  09:02:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question is Larry, whose sidewalk are you on when this picture was taken? Yours? Ours? Taylor's?
Looking back, I should have been doing back flips or cartwheels when the Rapchak's moved from Magoun Ave. NO MORE ABUSE ! ! ! However, I was too young to remember most of these stories from the late fifties. And I gotta admit . . . Even at that young age, I was sad to see them go. Even though I was the victim of their many pranks, I remember thinking they (Mike & Larry) were probably the closest thing I'd have as older brothers. Thing is, after they moved, I don't think we ever saw any of them again until Larry's parents attended my father's wake in May of 1968. I can't remember if they or any of the kids were there. Not a good time in my life.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 09/01/2011 19:47:12
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  17:50:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve--

This one will take you back to the good times.

In honor of our current Sept. 1st intensely summer-y 96 Degrees (with high humidity!), here's an old family classic to help cool us off.

Not sure if it's from summer of '59 or '60---but its' your backyard pool and you, our "in-between" neighbor Sarah Reeves (that is, she lived in the house between yours and mine...and what a cutie), and my sister Nancy (well...OK, I guess she's cute, too).

Simple pleasures, right? I guess that the old green metal kiddie car on the left was on its way out; you can also see the lawn/wheel barrow-type thing next to it.

Comparing you and Nancy to the 1959 "dirt-in-the-face" photo posted above, it's hard to tell if this one is from the same year; you look a little older in this one, but Nancy's hair looks exactly the same...so who knows?

Whatever year, it was an fabulous time....endless summer without a care in the world.

Larry

Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  19:21:30  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just wanted you guys to know that I am TOTALLY enjoying this thread!

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  19:46:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tom J

Tom

Well Tom, I'm glad to hear the trials and tribulations of my early youth are bringing you a warm fuzzy feeling! Thinking back, I believe I remember telling myself "In 50 years or so, this abuse I'm going through, thanx to my "friends & neighbors. . .the Rapchak Clan" will bring joy & laughter to many who hear about it via an electronic type of communication service not yet invented!"

Larry, I think the pictures are quite close in time. You realize of course, I've always looked younger in a hat!
To paraphrase and steal another line from my idol: When I wore that hat in the neighborhood, I'd get a free bowl of soup from folks who felt sorry for me.
The green pedal car. I have very slight memories of it. Yea, I think it was on it's way out of my life by then. Had my mind on the women in the hood! Once you moved, Beda made sure he and Sara were an item. His parents bought him a 10 foot round pool that was maybe 2 feet deep. only Sara could go in it for the first week or so.

That picture sums up my life back then . . cars, women and the beach . . . well . . . a small pool at least. No wonder I grew up enjoying the Beach Boys.
Larry, I saw your Mother today, she says you talk to me more than you do her. SHAME! Call your Mother . . . before 9:30 PM!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 09/01/2011 19:51:57
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  21:30:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tom J

Tom

TOM-- GLAD TO HEAR FROM YOU. Hope you and Georgeann are doing well.

There's more good stuff to come-- especially if we can get Steve's sisters to fork over their 1957 Wisconsin Dells Dinosaur snapshots.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  22:52:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's more good stuff to come-- especially if we can get Steve's sisters to fork over their 1957 Wisconsin Dells Dinosaur snapshots.

Larry

I'll work on that Larry. Meeting them this Saturday to celebrate Carol's BD which is today! I'm hoping I'll get my pics from them on a thumbdrive. CALL YOUR MOTHER!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 09/02/2011 23:08:09
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  00:49:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeez, Steve----

I'll call her when I'm ready.
(Moe) Are ya' ready?
(Larry) Yeah, I'm ready.

NEXT TOPIC....

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 09/02/2011 15:27:18
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  15:54:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STEVE-

HERE WE ARE in your backyard on Magoun, probably in 1958, when a lot of your family's summer pics were taken. Our houses were all only a few years old then, the perfect picture of a new, post-war suburban paradise.

The house on the left behind you (on Baring Ave) was owned by the Kessey family, right? Craig, who was one of the very few guys I hung around with in those days, now runs a construction/roofing place in Woodmar on 169th; at least he did a few years ago. Haven't seen him in over 50 years.

Back about 1956, on a hot, cloudy Saturday afternoon, Mike, Craig, and I were in Kessey's back yard playing with a big old rubber TIRE; one of us would scrunch up inside the rim and the other one would roll the tire and see how long it would stay up. I remember there was very little grass and a lot of dirt in the yard, and things were getting out of hand.

So Mrs. Kessey, who I remember as an imposing, no-nonsense type, came out and said to Mike "Alright, let me have that tire", to which Mike replied "OK, Sister!", and rolls the tire over to her. I mean---where did he get THAT?!? A 7-year old boy calls this grown woman "sister", like he's talking to some "broad" in a gangster film!

Mike was one of a kind.

Larry

PS - The '58 Halloween pic above with us in costumes was taken on our front porch.

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 09/04/2011 00:05:32
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  00:01:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

What?? No Mike standing just off camera, waiting to hit me with a mud pie or something? I can't believe it! My parents must have snuck me out there on a sunny day to get such an adorable picture of me! I can just surmise what my mother said to my dad,

"Quick Andy, get him back in the house before those two hooligans (your words Larry, not mine!) show up to abuse Little Stevie! Yesterday, when I looked out the back door, Mike and Larry had carried Little Stevie up the ladder of the slide (pictured on the right)and tried to convince him it's OK to go down backwards. Thank god I stopped that nonsense!"

I wonder how long I sat there until someone taught me how to swing?

Man, looking at that picture, brings back memories of all the fun we kids had in that yard. It was a baseball field, football field, field hockey field, what would today be called a motocross track for bicycles, a battlefield for war-games and actual fights between the Hlad boys, Randy & Rod, and a place to blow up model cars & planes with the seldom gotten firecrackers.

Where do I start about the fun in that backyard on Magoun Ave.?

The swing set pictured was pretty well destroyed by the time I was really able to have some fun on it. The swinging ladder to the right, ended up being a trellis for a rosebush my mother was growing in the yard.

Many a wiffle ball game was played in there too. The Kessey's, who did live directly behind us, put up a 6 foot high wooden fence across the back of their yard. Where the bushes are in the picture. Man! If you could hit a wiffle ball over that fence from where we had set up home plate (about six feet from the back of our house) You had gotten all of that pitch!

Many a times Rod & Randy would come over and we'd play. Usually Rod & I versus Randy, who is a couple of years older than Rod. I think we had markers set up for singles, doubles and triples & of course the fence for HR's. Whenever Rod & I would be winning and Randy was in his last at-bat, he'd claim to "Tip" every pitch that he missed that would have ended the game.

Rod would yell "You missed it!" "I TIPPED IT!!" "You missed it!"

Next thing I knew, the two of them were rolling around in the dirt, fists flailing away, Rod usually getting the worst of it.

I'd stand there thinking "Maybe it's better to have older sisters than a brother or two who would pound you into dogfood every once in a while."

Rod usually ended up running home crying, my mother would come out to see what was going on, but by this time, Randy would be heading home, already gathering his thoughts for his defense.

Once, when another friend from down the street, Jeff Dembowski, was playing, the same incident was occurring. I think Jeff and Randy were teammates and Jeff admitted that, yea, Randy, you missed the ball for strike three. That's when Randy smacked Jeff on the arm with the wiffle bat. Being there wasn't any weight to those bats, the injury was more of a welt or mark you'd get from a snapping towel.

Anyway, Jeff runs home crying promising to bring his big brother, Connie, down to teach Randy a thing or two! And ya know . . . I can't remember if anything ever came out of it. I don't think there was ever a clash of the brother titans. At least, not over that incident.

I'll try to come up with more memories. They're all in this noggin somewheres. Hopefully, I won't embellish them too much.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 09/03/2011 00:14:54
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  00:44:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve-- the 1955 picture of Mike and me was also posted here on Sheptalk under the "KELLY'S DRIVE-IN" thread, and the same question came up; MIke himself replied that he thought we were holding some kind of candy dispensers.

Candy Dispensers??? I don't think so Larry!
Knowin' Mike, I'll bet they were some kind of home-made, battery-operated Tazer he had put together. Just couldn't wait to give them a test "run" on me!
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 09/03/2011 17:11:24
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  00:55:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the two pictures that I had originally posted on the Jefferson School thread here on Sheptalk; I'm transferring them here, where they really belong. I remember Mike using his little grey plastic camera to take this pic looking south from our front sidewalk, in late summer of 1957. The Kush house is the first one visible on the right, with the white front door. IF YOU LOOK CLOSELY--I believe you can see one of the Kurteffs in the distance, doing what they did best---fanatically tending to their front lawn!!

I remember when we got this roll of film developed--what good is a picture of the sidewalk and yards? Why waste the film? Well, 54 years later, it's the only document of its kind that I know of.

Here's the same view, taken in September, 2005.

We'll have a lot more of these "then & now" pics to post in the near future.

LR
Go to Top of Page

LegulusQ

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  16:09:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great thread! Can already see what a great addition Little Stevie is to the forum, and Larry always brings his "A" game!

For a little context, Randy (or, ahem, Randall) Hlad can be seen in my OLPH Class of 1966 photo on the 'OLPH 8th graders' thread. He is just above Father Sipos. I went to school with Randy all through our OLPH and Morton days. I also recall his tussles with Rod, but hey, who hasn't had an occasional 'misunderstanding' with their bro(s)? At Morton, we actually had two Randys with the same phonetic last name, so they became 'H' Hlad and 'L' Ladd in any spoken reference.

Stevie (btw, were you also a star on 'The Sopranos'?), I'm also happy to see the official release of the legendary 'lost' SMiLE album. I found a vinyl copy of the SMiLE redux album Brian released with his current band (the same one you saw in St. Louis, I'm sure), and that just whets the appetite for the original, or at least as close to the original as they can piece together. I read an interview with Van Dyke Parks recently in which he mentioned that a few of the original tapes were lost. But it should still be fun. Another aside: have you ever heard the version of 'Don't Worry Baby' that the Boys (including Brian) did with Lorrie Morgan on the country tribute album "Stars & Stripes" that was released sometime in the 1990's? It is outstanding, one of the very few cases where a cover version (if you can call it that seeing as how the Beach Boys themselves are on it) betters the original!

I heard it was inspired by Magoun Avenue! See, this all ties in nicely with the thread after all!

Craig L
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  17:51:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

IF YOU LOOK CLOSELY--I believe you can see one of the Kurteffs in the distance, doing what they did best---fanatically tending to their front lawn!!"

Actually Larry, I think that's Joe Klish watering his yard. It doesn't look far enough down the block for it to be Kurteff. You remember Joe & his wife, Jo, right? Brings to mind another picture you have for posting here . . .you know . . . after the "Pumpkin Incident"?

Graig, The Beach Boys. First time I saw 'em live was the Summer of '75. With Chicago @ the old Chicago Stadium. 5 nights, then the last night, Saturday, I had front row seats! Row A seats 5 - 8. Unbelievable time! I have the vinyl "SMiLE '04" you have. I started "lurking" @ "brianwilson.com" right after I received the "GV" box set for my birthday in '04. Three weeks before Brian premiered "SMiLE' in London. I couldn't believe the music I was hearing on disc two? The cuts of original "SMiLE" recordings. Have followed Brian ever since. It's good to see him come to grips with his past and be able to enjoy this endeavor and cast aside the demons that plagued him from the past.

Lorrie Morgan Cover:
I've watched Lorrie Morgan, and not really paid attention to the music!
I do believe I've listened to that cover. Speaking of covers, have you seen the DVD of the Brian Wilson Tribute from '01? Another country star, Vince Gill, does an absolutely fantasic cover of "Warmth of The Sun". Well worth renting.

Rod & Randy
When my sons were in Cub Scouts, Randy's son was also a member of Pack 550 in St. John. We talked about many of the old times on Magoun until. . . yeah . . . until they moved. Man, that was tough to take. Rod and I did everything together. We played little league at Optimist together. Joe, their dad, was coach/mgr? of the Cisco Kids. I was on the Cubs. Played for a guy Y'all might know. . . Jim Landfeld? His son Jim Jr. was on the team. They lived across the street from PUCC, which at the time, was just one building. I saw Rod one time since then, at a bar one night , probably 15 -20 years ago. I have no idea how they're all doing. I did run into Sharon, the oldest, a few years back but can't remember where.
LS

Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  21:21:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HERE's something else from the MAGOUN/Rapchak archives: It's 50 years ago---the summer of 1961, the last really great childhood summer and the last one at 6912 Magoun.

HERE'S THE LINK to a 4-minute HOME-MOVIE MONTAGE from that fabulous time.

http://youtu.be/ANb6dkOMcMI

You'll see -

Fun in the yard with Nancy, my younger brother Phillip, and our fabulous wire-haired terrier "Bubbles."

0:46 - A sunny (and not-too hot) Saturday afternoon outing at Woodmar Park, which is now entirely over-run with Purdue Cal. In '61, Purdue was just one or two buildings on 169th, which are visible in a few shots. Mike and I and our dad are seen hitting fly balls...

1:16 - Check that major league swing of mine on the third attempt (missed the first two); Mike didn't have a chance of catching it.

You'll see my dad's new pride and joy--- his '55 Chevy in the classic "salmon and charcoal" (NOT orange and grey) color scheme.

3:35 - Our cousin Rick Harper (his dad, our uncle George, "Americanized" his last name when he moved to California to start a furniture business) paid us a weekend visit in August. He's the guy in the white t-shirt. Here's the three goofball/dorks with their Three Stooges puppets in our backyard by the pool (I guess that blue-and-white striped T-shirt was the only one I wore that year).

I believe the date was Friday, August 18, '61. That same afternoon, Mike, Rick, Philip and I set up our dinosaurs on the downstairs table; here's a snapshot of us--- just a few hours before the video in the backyard was taken.

(L to R) Mike, Philip, me, Rick Harper, and the Renwal "Visible Man" model in the background. Our basement was like our own little world, a real refuge.

Very cool to see the events of this single day preserved in different formats. In fact--that night, my dad used his big old tape-recorder to secretly tape our conversation in our kitchen, when us kids and our parents were just relaxing and shootin' the breeze; before long, we discovered the hidden microphone, and things took a turn for the worse. I still have portions of that recording.

Incidentally-- the background music on the video was from the record that Mike and I listened to EVERY DAY in '61 summer. The LP was on the popular Capitol label and was called "Jet-Flight", a musical travelogue thing that was popular in the post-war 50's when Americans were starting to vacation in Europe. Each of the tracks is written in the style of a foreign country; it's all bright and upbeat, and really captured the mood of that time in our lives.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 10/01/2011 22:37:08
Go to Top of Page

LegulusQ

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  02:40:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stevie, I have the BW tribute DVD with Vince Gill's version of "Warmth Of The Sun", and you're right, it is a great performance. I am a huge Vince Gill fan. In fact, I have tickets to see him in Redding in October. I've seen him once previously on June 30, 2001, at a venue called Konocti Harbor on the shores of Clear Lake in Norcal. I remember the date because it was the day that the great Chet Atkins died, and Vince had been good friends with Chet ever since Vince's Christmas special in 1993, in which Chet, Michael McDonald, and Amy Grant appeared with Vince (I have that video on VHS and LD, but unfortunately it has never been released on DVD, which is a shame because it is my family's all-time favorite Christmas special. If you haven't seen it, it is well worth trying to find a used copy). Anyway, Vince dedicated the show to Chet in a very emotional eulogy in his memory, and then put on one of the greatest performances I have ever had the pleasure to witness. Perfect vocal pitch in that sweet tenor, and an incredible guitarist to boot!

There is also a video on the making of 'Stars & Stripes', during which you can see Brian grinning from ear-to-ear during Lorrie's vocal on "Don't Worry Baby". You can tell that that was the highlight of the album for Brian. There is one other outstanding track on 'Stars & Stripes': Timothy B. Schmidt of the Eagles doing "Caroline No", and two other good ones: Junior Brown doing "409", and Willie Nelson also doing "Warmth Of The Sun", although in my book not as well as Vince on the BW tribute.

Uncle Lar, I apologize for going off topic again.
Signed, Little Snot-nosed Tommy

Craig
Go to Top of Page

LegulusQ

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  03:17:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, I really enjoyed your video. I played Pony League baseball in the Woodmar League during the mid to late '60s in almost the exact spot where you, Mike, and your Dad were hitting flyballs!

I thought I noticed at least a momentary look of concern on your face when you hit the bottom after your prone feet-first run down the slide, as if you briefly thought you might not be able to fulfill your destiny to maintain the Rapchak family line, to be the mighty progenitor of future Rapchak generations! Then you got up, dusted yourself off, and said "Hey, nothing to worry about, I'm fine"!

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  12:46:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally! Last night, we went to "Charliehorse" in Munster for Carol's BD, then to her home for cake and drinks. I got my copy of the family album.
Here are a few pics from it. Larry, you might be able to ID some of these people, I was only a little more than a year and a half.
This group of six shows some of the neighbors at the beach. I'm not sure which beach, I'm thinking Miller in Gary.

Top row L to R Pic 1:
Little Stevie playing in the wet sand - My oldest sister Carol standing on, I believe, Maretta Ordway's back and Mrs. Kessey, the neighbor woman that Mike said "OK, Sister!"
to in Larry's post above.

Pic 2
Carol doing whatever it is she's doing. (A back arch? perhaps?)

Pic 3
Mark Taylor

Bottom Row Pic 1
My sister Beverly standing on Carol & Maretta's back.

Pic 2
Scott Taylor & Little Stevie

Pic 3 Mark Taylor , Little Stevie & Scott Taylor
I might have the Taylor boys reversed. The blond was the older of the two.

Another picture of Mrs. Kessey, whose first name was "Elsie"

Katherine Taylor and Scott

(Love the "Viceroy cigarette holder!)

And last but not least, Little Stevie and his car, in much better condition than the pool picture.

The picture of me on the swing in Larry's post above was right next to this picture, so I'm guessing it too was taken in '57. I was 2, almost 2 1/2! What would that car be worth today in mint condition?
LS
More to come!

Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  12:51:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Craig, I'm gonna have to find the video of the making of "Stars & Stripes". I don't think I've seen it.
LS
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page