General Talk
 General Shep Related Chatter
 Hello from another fan
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

1 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2011 :  00:01:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings from someone who was a fan in the pre-Christmas Story movie days. ;-)

I used to listen to Jean Shepherd on WOR (710 AM) at night as I was going to sleep as a child.

Living in Trenton, NJ, I got to see him speak a couple times, since my Mom was also a fan. Once was at Trenton State College... don't recall where the other one was, but I think it was somewhere near Princeton.

Later, when I went to college, I went to a small school in rural Indiana -- a bit too rural to be just like what Shep described in his radio shows, but even in the early 90's, that part of the country was so slow to evolve that it was "like" what most of the rest of the country had been decades earlier. (For example, it had the feel of the kind of place I think Trenton might have been before the mid-60's that are the first I remember of the place.)

Sick with the flu this past week, I eventually became coherent enough to attempt to address my boredom through Internet Radio on my phone, and I found the incredible Insomnia Theater's 100% Jean Shepherd broadcast. What a wonderful thing!

I've been listening a lot since then, moderated only by the fact that due to my living situation in Australia, I have to use cellular Internet, and it's not cheap.

At some point, one of the announcers mentioned, so I figured I'd stop by and be counted!

Onceuponatime I downloaded a pile of Jean Shepherd stuff from Some Place On The Internet, I Know Not Where. Thought I had multiple copies of it, but I realized about a year ago that I apparently didn't, when an exhaustive search of every still functional hard disk in my possession failed to turn it up. :-(

As a business professional these days, I've taken any number of classes on effective presentations and communication. It's interesting how much of what is taught even today about how to do these things, are things that Jean Shepherd seemed to do naturally. In fact, over the past week, while listening to him, I'd periodically think about some of the things I've learned about public speaking and such, and map them back to what I was hearing and laugh like hell. Years before anyone thought to teach fancy seminars that quantified all of the things to do, to do that sort of thing well, you just either did or did not have the knack. Jean Shepherd had the knack.

25 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2011 :  19:19:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There has been no one on radio like Jean Shepherd since, at least not in the NYC radio market. I was in grade school in the 1960s and listening to Shep from 10:15pm to 11pm was a treat.

IIRC his longer Saturday show was sometimes broadcast from the Limelight, a club in Greenwich Village.
Go to Top of Page

31 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2012 :  22:27:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you still listening to Shep?What do you have ?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page