Mass Backwards Request thread (?)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

m10bob

USA
233 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  23:21:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have searched high and low, and I suspect Max may have (and be able to air play the following:
1.The smell of homes
2.The OLD MAN's Fireworks stand
3.Oil vs power
I can furnish the dates, but I don't have them right here..

In Hoc Agricula Conc
In Est Spittle Louk

sheptapes

Tuvalu
41 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2005 :  22:52:43  Show Profile  Visit sheptapes's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will put "Smell of Homes" on the short list. I thought I played that once, but not according to my records.

Need to do some White Sox first, while anyone remmbers.

Fireworks Stand was played only two years ago, the other is probelmatic - too many commercials, and less than stellar radio fidelity.
Go to Top of Page

m10bob

USA
233 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  21:06:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Max, that's great..I'm glad you have a good memory.(I still could provide the air dates if you need them...........)

In Hoc Agricula Conc
In Est Spittle Louk
Go to Top of Page

diskojoe

161 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  13:13:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I listened to "Oil & Power" last night via Jean Shepherd Project MP3 CD. The program was dated 02/05/1975 & although it was a good & timely program, there were two big blocs of commercials & Max would have a do a bit of editing to get it on Mass Backwards. Speaking of Max,thanks to him for getting a White Sox show together. I can't wait to listen when I get home tonight.
Go to Top of Page

m10bob

USA
233 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  16:37:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, I appreciate the commercials on Shep's programs, because Shep made fun of a lot of his sponsors, (often with their approval, or even by request), and they tend to provide a means to detect when the program was aired. The lack of commercials has made it impossible to "date" the "Bumpus family" program..
You might however be right about the commercials interfering with Max's timeslot, etc.
(Maybe he needs mor time !! I can't believe his program is so short....)..Gotta wonder about his stations' artistic priorities..

In Hoc Agricula Conc
In Est Spittle Louk
Go to Top of Page

diskojoe

161 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  18:36:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, m10bob,Shep didn't do any snide remarks during the commercials on the Oil v. Power show, even though one of them was the General Tire Commerical ("Someday You'll Own Generals". Although I do agree w/you about the commercials, there is a reson why Max doesn't want to broadcast Those 70s Shows
Go to Top of Page

sheptapes

Tuvalu
41 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  11:40:56  Show Profile  Visit sheptapes's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My problem with the commercials is that there are so damn many of them - sometimes five in a row. They break up the flow of the show. By 1975 most of them were pre-recorded and had no Shep content at all. If you listen to several shows in a row, many of them are repeated day after day. Even the General Tire ads are "canned" - that is, pre-recorded - and repeat every few days.

Sadly, too, my source tapes from that period vary wildly in quality, some being rather poor, certainly a far cry from the FM shows from the sixties.
Go to Top of Page

sheptapes

Tuvalu
41 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  11:43:48  Show Profile  Visit sheptapes's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by m10bob

Max, that's great..I'm glad you have a good memory.(I still could provide the air dates if you need them...........)

In Hoc Agricula Conc
In Est Spittle Louk

My memory sucks, but the shows that have been played in the last five years are all listed in the Mass backwards section of flicklives. I also try to mark the tapes with a WBAI airdate when I play them to avoid repeats - so many shows, so little time!
Go to Top of Page

diskojoe

161 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  17:38:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Max, I just want to drop a line to say that I enjoyed your White Sox show. I especially enjoyed listening to the Ramones doing "Beat on the Brat". I do know that Shep didn't care for rock, but can you imagine him going down to CBGB's after one of shows to check out the Ramones, Patti Smith or the Dead Boys? Anyway, a great show & too bad you didn't do a similar show when the Red Sox won last year(Shep LOL)
Go to Top of Page

m10bob

USA
233 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  06:23:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sheptapes

quote:

In Hoc Agricula Conc
In Est Spittle Louk

My memory sucks, but the shows that have been played in the last five years are all listed in the Mass backwards section of flicklives. I also try to mark the tapes with a WBAI airdate when I play them to avoid repeats - so many shows, so little time!

My city has NPR....I wish your program was syndicated !!!!!!!!

In Hoc Agricula Conc
In Est Spittle Louk
Go to Top of Page

m10bob

USA
233 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  00:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay Max...Since you won't spill the beans about the big surprise, I will make some requests for your consideration.
Apparently only one has been aired by Mass Backwards, (which I will mark)
11/17/64 Driving Cpt Cherry on a date.
1/2/71 Cherry cider+Gangster funeral
8/6/69 First love:Dawn Strickland
7/16/73 Detroit Tigers, White Sox riot (*aired on MB)
10/20/75 Chicago:Slob capital
1/23/63 Danger in bras
3/8/63 First trip to radio station as a kid
7/63 Gertz and the 47 crappies
7/1/64 High school orchestra

(This is kinda' like "stump the stars"..)
Thank you for considering any/all......

In Hoc Agricula Conc
In Est Spittle Louk

Edited by - m10bob on 01/25/2006 00:50:04
Go to Top of Page

sheptapes

Tuvalu
41 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2006 :  03:12:58  Show Profile  Visit sheptapes's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The problem is I don't have most of these - a great many are are in the hands of a very private collector whose stash I can't crack.

quote:

Okay Max...Since you won't spill the beans about the big surprise, I will make some requests for your consideration.
Apparently only one has been aired by Mass Backwards, (which I will mark)
11/17/64 Driving Cpt Cherry on a date. This one is possible
1/2/71 Cherry cider+Gangster funeral - Don't have it
8/6/69 First love:Dawn Strickland - Don't have it
7/16/73 Detroit Tigers, White Sox riot (*aired on MB)
10/20/75 Chicago:Slob capital This one is possible
1/23/63 Danger in bras Secret Strash
3/8/63 First trip to radio station as a kid Secret Stash
7/63 Gertz and the 47 crappies - Don't have it
7/1/64 High school orchestra Seccret Stash

(This is kinda' like "stump the stars"..)
Thank you for considering any/all......

In Hoc Agricula Conc
In Est Spittle Louk

Go to Top of Page

m10bob

USA
233 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2006 :  04:17:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by sheptapes

"The problem is I don't have most of these - a great many are are in the hands of a very private collector whose stash I can't crack."

This means someone may have a real artistic treasure, but either is not willing to share it, or is a procrastinator and will put off sharing till it is too late.
Tape deteriorates in time, even under the best of conditions, and even in those "best of conditions", "surprises" to the sole owner can be devastating.
(Opening a film can and finding cracked "sawdust" is heartbreaking, I know first hand.)

Truly, someone is in a position to share their collection and be considered a true benefactor to the many Shep fans.

A "Rembrandt would be worthless in a private collection, unless shared, because nobody else would know/believe you had "a real Rembrandt".

Shep has already been publicly acknowledged as "The modern Mark Twain".
He has been referred to as such, not just by his fans, but by the media in award presentations, and civic leaders when Shep has been honored, (both in life and posthumously.)

In Hoc Agricula Conc
In Est Spittle Louk

Edited by - m10bob on 02/14/2006 04:22:44
Go to Top of Page

diskojoe

161 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2006 :  22:43:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's too bad about hearing the stash of Shep shows that Max can't crack. It reminds me of these stories I read in old car magazines about someone who has a classic car festering in the yard & dosen't want to sell it for some wacky reason or another.I've heard stories about how Shep himself supposely had copies of his shows. I hope whoever was the executor of his estate didn't dispose of them, if he did indeed had copies.

One question that I would ask of Max, Jim or Eugene is why is there a lack of shows from 1967-68 compared to say 1963-1966 or 1971-1977? Did Shep's ratings decline during that particular period? i'm just wondering.
Go to Top of Page

m10bob

USA
233 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  21:02:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had to work last night so I missed Max's show this morning..Thank goodness his show is "aired" on the 'net so I can still see he was very kind to present "Driving Cpt Cherry on a date", (which aired when I was still in high school !)
I sure envy you guys on the east coast who had Shep *live* for those programs.
What were YOU doing in 1964 !!??
Thank you, Max......................

In Hoc Agricula Conc
In Est Spittle Louk
Go to Top of Page

sheptapes

Tuvalu
41 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  01:22:06  Show Profile  Visit sheptapes's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What was I doing in 1964? Listening to the Beatles - that's about all I remember. Oh yeah, and the Stones, Zombies and Kinks. Buying record albums for the first time - in mono, of course - they were a buck cheaper!
Go to Top of Page

sheptapes

Tuvalu
41 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  01:30:04  Show Profile  Visit sheptapes's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diskojoe

It's too bad about hearing the stash of Shep shows that Max can't crack. It reminds me of these stories I read in old car magazines about someone who has a classic car festering in the yard & dosen't want to sell it for some wacky reason or another.I've heard stories about how Shep himself supposely had copies of his shows. I hope whoever was the executor of his estate didn't dispose of them, if he did indeed had copies.

One question that I would ask of Max, Jim or Eugene is why is there a lack of shows from 1967-68 compared to say 1963-1966 or 1971-1977? Did Shep's ratings decline during that particular period? i'm just wondering.

Collectors are often nuts. I have it, so nobody else can. There's a guy in vermont sitting on a lot of shows from 1961-62. I call him every two years to see if he's ready to share yet. He always says no - no reason given. When he dies, his wife will send tyhem to the Goodwill Store, and they probably won't even know what tapes are. The End. Or maybe straight to the garbage. Gone Forever.

As to why there are fewer shows from 1967-68, one big reason is that Rudy got married and stopped taping the shows every day sometiome in the fall of 1966, I believe. That's when his taped run ends. A lot of his rarer, earlier shows went to England somewhere, to a tape buddy. His earliest tapes were sent without being copied first, so those are probably lost. 95% of what we have from 1963 to 1966 are Rudy's tapes.
Go to Top of Page

diskojoe

161 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  09:41:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Max: Thanks for your reply. All I can say about that Vt. collector is when he shuffles out of this mortal coil, you should work on the missus or the executor.

In a previous post, you said that you listened to the Kinks back in '64. I'm a Kinks cuckoo as well as a Shep cuckoo. I don't know if you heard of a Ray Davies solo song called Storyteller, but I think of Shep when I listen to it. Maybe you should play it on Mass Backwards before doing a Shep show. You can find it on Ray's Thanksgiving Day EP or the Storyteller CD.
Go to Top of Page

joel

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  06:40:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Max. I recall hearing a show in the early 60s about fishing at night as a kid and catching a huge fish that he could not see. It made strange frightening sounds. When he got back to the dock and the boat keeper shined a light on the fish, it was a monster--an alligator gar or something like that. Do you have such a show to play?
Go to Top of Page

Chitose6970

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  20:19:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joel

Max. I recall hearing a show in the early 60s about fishing at night as a kid and catching a huge fish that he could not see. It made strange frightening sounds. When he got back to the dock and the boat keeper shined a light on the fish, it was a monster--an alligator gar or something like that. Do you have such a show to play?

Shep tells a version of the story on the July 16, 1966 Lime Light show.

In the story, after some commotion, a voice is heard from accross the lake, "It's a golden dogfish, get rid of it before it kills you!".

There is such a fish as a dogfish, but is is a saltwater fish. Shep was such a story teller.

Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  16:27:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are also freshwater dogfish, AKA bowfin. Large, mean, and toothy, not very good for eating.
Go to Top of Page

m10bob

USA
233 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  03:51:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Max...Just want to put my foot in the door again to request you re-air some of the Shep broadcasts you had on a few years ago, (before I and some others had a chance to discover your program..)
Mr Clavin has kindly marked which programs you have aired in his show database, and I have only heard maybe 10% of them, and certainly nothing aired by you before maybe 2003..
The greatest would be if WBAI came off their pocketbook and gave you time to air an episode *or two* each day....Bob

In Hoc Agricula Conc
In Est Spittle Louk

Edited by - m10bob on 12/14/2006 03:51:33
Go to Top of Page

m10bob

USA
233 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  13:50:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If at all possible, with an optimistic view to spring coming soon, I would like to hear "Hairy Gertz and the 47 Crappies".....Thank you........

In Hoc Agricula Conc
In Est Spittle Louk
Go to Top of Page

sheptapes

Tuvalu
41 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  02:28:12  Show Profile  Visit sheptapes's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by m10bob

If at all possible, with an optimistic view to spring coming soon, I would like to hear "Hairy Gertz and the 47 Crappies".....Thank you........

Not sure there is a radio version - I can't think of one.

As to rebroadcasts, with so many shows that have never been heard since they were on WOR, I tend to stick to new ones - after all, you haven't heard them either, and neither has anyone else!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page