New Slob Checking In!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rob

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  09:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just like to say Hi to the Shep fans, here.

Came across his show few weeks ago, via flipping through some internet radio stations and coming across him on Insomnia Theatre.

It was the episode where he was describing the Police shootout outside his Grandmother's apartment block on New Year's Eve. I was thouroughly engrossed, and dug a little deeper into the world of Shep.

Never heard of him before, but I am a firm fan now! I guess his humour translates well across borders and across generations.

Got a couple of his books on order, and downloaded an indecent amount of his stuff from archive.org.

Trying to convert others, now....

diskojoe

161 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  10:27:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Rob. It's great to see someone who's interested in Shep. What part of the UK are you from? Shep did plenty of stuff about England in his radio shows, often using the crappist English accent that I have ever heard . Radio Spirits has a 4-CD set of his musings about the UK which were recorded there while he was touring England & Scotland w/the Beatles in late 1964 (he interviewed them for Playboy) that may be of interest to you:

http://radiospirits.com/detailsv2.asp?mbprodid=55232&sid=MTA5MzQwOTI6MTIvNi8wMyAzOjAzOjA3IFBN&Svr=.62&l=1&source=,&scode=G07CY100
Go to Top of Page

Rob

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2011 :  07:46:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That CD set sounds very interesting, Joe.

I imagine Shep must have had a hell of a ride; in the eye of the Beatlemania storm. The variety of regional UK accents he would have come across would have been mind boggling, so maybe we can cut him a little slack in that department! I bet he spent more time drooling over the cars than the Beatles, though

I'm from Cardiff, Wales by the way. Just up the coast from Swansea where Dylan Thomas was born. Shep's storytelling style reminds me of Thomas at times.
Go to Top of Page

diskojoe

161 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2011 :  13:37:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob: In addition to that Radio Spirits CD set, here's the WOR shows that Shep did about his UK trip:
November 2, 1964 WOR Show - Back From England, Beatles, Election Eve; Pipe dreams
November 7, 1964 Limelight Show - British Trip - On Tour With The Beatles / More On Tour With The Beatles, Army Ping-Pong
November 9, 1964 WOR Show - Brits and Americans Separate Races

Shep really didn't care too much about the Beatles, despite interviewing them for Playboy. He was much more enthuastic about the Rover 2000, which he did live ads for in his WOR shows circa 1965-1966.

So you're from Wales, Tom & Terry Jones country? I'm from Salem, Massachusetts myself.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page