General Shep Related Chatter
 Need to Reduce the Index
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silentshep

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2010 :  22:47:20  Show Profile  Visit silentshep's Homepage  Reply with Quote

OK, there are and we search for current topics-posts.. But any scroll-down and we see many if not all postings are not used-old[2006]. Seems that there should be an update. Either bunch them [old posts] together or revise the whole thing. Some thoughtful catagories just didn't make it. Not any interest in playboy coments. All could be condensed into just plain writings. Guess I'm just tired of going down the list to see nothing new. Seems the only thing keeping the site alive are the folks from the Hammond area. And, they don't seem to have much to say about Shepherd. Gary in California....
OK++++ Let me have It++++

diskojoe

161 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  22:41:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Silentshep, I hear you all too well. I tried the past few years to post stuff about Shep to get something going, but to no avail. The Hammond people are OK w/me. Heck, I even participated in several threads of theirs that caught my interest, such as music, cars & the Three Stooges. I just wish there were more people who are interested in Shep in the other categories. It's funny, but it seems that there's more interest in A Christmas Story then its creator, especially since to me ACS is only the tip of the iceberg of Shep's achievements.
Go to Top of Page

SpaceCat

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2010 :  22:50:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi folks-
While I don't post often, I do visit at least once a month so I'll join in on this one.

It does seem no matter where you go, Shep fans tend to fall into three separate categories. There are those who simply know 'of' him- mostly through "A Christmas Story" but may have looked into his other writings because of that. There are those (primarily from the North East) who actually heard Shep on the air, WOR or elsewhere. And there are those who mostly identify with Shep's Mid-Western roots like the Hammond folks here.
Sadly, none of us are getting any younger (though I try :) so if there is such a thing as a 'new generation' of Shep fans, they will most likely be coming in from the Christmas Story exposure. The sad overall fact is- our numbers are dwindling.

In defense of those who run this board (which I REALLY appreciate) keep in mind this is a hobby- not a money-making venture, thank God- so day-job, everyday life and family stuff understandably takes priority over keyboard drudgrey of 'board maintenance.' So- I certainly don't fault anyone for lack of indexing or even the non-removal of occaisional 'spammer' posts.
I just appreciate this as a place where those of us who were influenced by Jean Sheperd can gather and talk.
Perhaps we can use this thread as a 'challenge' to all who read- get thinking about some new Shep-related topic or question to post in the near future!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page