New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

Nick C

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  16:39:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I'd give anything to see ANY of these shows!!
anyone have a clue if they are ever going to be released?
it would be a shame if PBS ever held on to this series without at least presenting them to a newer audience..

Thanks,

Nick

cgn37vet

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  23:15:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ive only seen the occasional bootleg set for sale on ebay Nick. You can get a bunch of them in an audio only form from fathead central or perhaps it was the archive on this site. Dan
Go to Top of Page

ebruceb

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2005 :  15:08:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ask Max Schmid if he can help in getting Jean Shepherd's America TV episodes. Some are available.
Go to Top of Page

sheptapes

Tuvalu
41 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  19:15:46  Show Profile  Visit sheptapes's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I have all of the second series on video tape. 13 episodes, 4 each on three tapes, the last one is tacked on to the end of the live show from the Clinton Museum.

If I ever clone myself I may transfer them to DVD, but they are at the bottom of the DVD list.

Pete Delaney taped all the soundtracks from the first series, but the only video on those are the episodes rebroadcast whole or cut up in Series Two. I guess no one had home VCR capabilities when the first series aired.

It is unlikely that PBS will ever release these, due to the same copytright and music clrearance issues that prevent them from putting out any of the TV-movies like Great 4th of July.

Go to Top of Page

m10bob

USA
233 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  05:03:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never saw the series, but sure would like to now!!!
I have 3 of his movies, and it's nice seeing Shep and Leigh cameo in them.....
I wrote Boston Public Radio/TV about re-issuing the series, (as they made them), and never got a response whatsoever..
An attitude of complete indifference cannot help them on pledge drives........

In Hoc Agricula Conc
In Est Spittle Louk
Go to Top of Page

jsheps

2 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  05:08:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For many years, I, too, have been wondering if this PBS series was or is ever available on video. Right now if you key in his name on the PBS website, you get NOTHING, meaning his name gets nothing, and the name of the show gets nothing.

I remember seeing the show on a semi-regular basis, on Saturday or Sunday afternoons, it seems like between 4 and 6 PM.

There is ONE episode that has stuck in my mind for many, many years -I know that I saw it TWICE, because at some point PBS re-ran some of the episodes.

The episode that I speak of had him sitting by the window of a passenger car on a train, talking, I think, about his days in the Army, traveling by train - and I remember images of a streamlined train - was it Union Pacific? - coming around a curve; of a soldier waiting to board the train Shepherd was riding - or something similar to that. I even remember him making remarks such as "Look at that!!" and similar remarks.
I am a "train buff", and I have always enjoyed seeing any program about train travel. (I won't get into details about my train video/DVD/book collection - that would fill a book!).

If this episode is available ANYWHERE, I certainly would give it FIRST preference.
Go to Top of Page

fudge

16 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  06:06:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey jsheps, if you ever get near the salem, oregon public library, they have a HUGE collection of train related videos-just fyi...
Go to Top of Page

jsheps

2 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  07:00:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Fudge - I live in North Carolina - the closest I've been to Oregon was at Yellowstone National Park in 1992.

Actually, there was a train buffs' convention in Portland this past July, but I declined to attend because I couldn't get enough time off from work to travel that distance round trip - I don't fly!!!
Go to Top of Page

Dan

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  13:06:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sheptapes
It is unlikely that PBS will ever release these, due to the same copytright and music clrearance issues that prevent them from putting out any of the TV-movies like Great 4th of July.

What copyright and music issues? Doesn't PBS have the right to acquire and release anything produced by any of it's stations? It's a shame that some legality is keeping Shep's great PBS shows and movies from being released on DVD.

(I've inquired to no avail about the PBS movies, see my post - http://shep.flicklives.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25)
Go to Top of Page

sheptapes

Tuvalu
41 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  04:59:43  Show Profile  Visit sheptapes's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So where does a post disappear to after you try to send it without logging in first??? GRRRRR.... One more time...

PBS recently reissued Ursula K. LeGuin's "The Lathe of Heaven" due to fan demand. (A pity shep fans don't have as much clout or a better organization!) They had to replace a Beatles song by having a cover band recreate it.

Back in those days, there was no VHS or DVD market, so they had no idea that they would have to contract to use the music for other distribution modes than the original broadcast. The shows were created to be seen once or twice, with no thought given to any use beyond that.

To add to the problem, I read somewhere that the contract can only be ammended, so unless you have the original, you can't renegotiate it.
The production companies were dissolved many years ago, so where do you find the original contract??

Ain't copyright grand??
Go to Top of Page

Dan

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  12:11:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMDb lists multiple distributors for the Shep PBS movies. So the contracts and rights must exist somewhere, at least for re-broadcast. PBS is not the most marketing-oriented organization either. They are not going to cut through legal red tape unless they are pressured by fan organizations, as you said.

From IMDb:

Phantom of the Open Hearth (1976)
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0202527/companycredits

Distributors:
* Public Broadcasting Service (PBS)
* Visions

The Great American Fourth of July and Other Disasters (1982)
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0084022/companycredits

Distributors:
* American Playhouse
* The Disney Channel

The Star-Crossed Romance of Josephine Cosnowski (1983)
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0202596/companycredits

Distributors:
* American Playhouse
Go to Top of Page

mileman

1 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  17:13:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This redtape/copyright thing is really sad.

This is all legendary, classic stuff that would be an incredible re-run on PBS. I'm surprised that the growing popularity of "A Christmas Story" over the years doesn't wake them up to the potential.

I have "retold" these episodes to friends many times, and of course they want to know where they can get them on VHS or DVD.

...Richard
Go to Top of Page

diskojoe

161 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  11:51:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does seem like a shame that Shep's TV stuff is unavailable when you go to a BestBuy & it seems like every second-rate sitcom from that agressively mediocre decade known as the 1970's is out on DVD & you see some of the stuff that PBS broadcasts (Lawrence Welk?), especially during pledge break time.
Go to Top of Page

m10bob

USA
233 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  13:01:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mother told me a couple of times, that she copied those episodes back in the eighties, when I gave her a VCR one year.
I have e-mailed her asking if she can locate them, and the seriousness of the matter.
She specifically has told me the 4th of July episode was the funniest she "had copied !".
Maybe there is hope ??

In Hoc Agricula Conc
In Est Spittle Louk
Go to Top of Page

treutvid

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  21:12:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the garbage available on DVD, and PBS can't get a series by the greatest humorist of our time out? I can still remember Shep starting off a show with some suds rolling around on the screen, with just the sound of the machinery. I couldn't figure out what it was, then the golden voice comes in. "Beer.

The mother of us all." The beer council should get behind this one.

Go to Top of Page

m10bob

USA
233 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  01:39:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good idea............

In Hoc Agricula Conc
In Est Spittle Louk
Go to Top of Page

diskojoe

161 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  14:20:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Homer Simpson would say,"......mmmmmmm, Beer "

Anyway, I wonder if Shep named a literary executor in his will? I suspect that the non-appearance of the TV programs, as well as the compilation of the Army stories or any unpublished works may probably be due to inactivity on the estate's part. Also, I hope that whoever Shep appointed as the executor of his will knew the value of what property he had, especially if he had his own stash of WOR tapes as has been rumored.
Go to Top of Page

m10bob

USA
233 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  21:06:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IIRC, Mr Bergmann believed Sheps' attorney (a long time friend) was his executor, and was most unco-operative with Mr Bergmann, even forgetting an appointment he had with him.
Don't see how that sounds like a "friend" of Mr Shepherds', but it seems to fit the view people have of attorneys,(in general).
Ironically, I just listened to a Shep program from June 8th, 1973, in which Shep himself calls for a telethon to "Stamp out attorneys."
It is presently believed the attorney/friend(?) also acquired Sheps' personal collection of tapes.

Seems to me if I were a friend of George Washingtons' I would not sit on his tricorn hat, but might think to donate it (or otherwise make it available) to the public which might revere the man more than I, (the "friend")?

In Hoc Agricula Conc
In Est Spittle Louk
Go to Top of Page

diskojoe

161 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  13:53:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information on Shep's attorney/"friend", Bob. I hope at the very least that the executor didn't throw out Shep's personal tape collection. As I said in my previous post, it's too bad that the estate dosn't make more of Shep's tapes and writings available, especially considering the continuing popularity of ACS. Also, I'm wondering if Shep's will was ever contested, since he did state in it that he had no children and that he did in fact have two children when the will was written.
Go to Top of Page

johng

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  23:14:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Hammond times devoted a lot of space to A Christmas Story, Shep and other related stuff in a Sunday issue this past Christmas season. There was a sidebar about the whereabouts of the leg lamp used in the film. Turns out that Shep's attorney has that too but wouldn't say where it was. He had been asked once to loan it to the Jean Shepard Museum in Hammond for a short time but refused. Real nice guy.
Go to Top of Page

sheptapes

Tuvalu
41 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  06:21:29  Show Profile  Visit sheptapes's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by m10bob

IIRC, Mr Bergmann believed Sheps' attorney (a long time friend) was his executor, and was most unco-operative with Mr Bergmann, even forgetting an appointment he had with him.
Don't see how that sounds like a "friend" of Mr Shepherds', but it seems to fit the view people have of attorneys,(in general).

I met with Zwilling, and it's more like the benign neglect of Ronald Reagan, at least as far as the radio shows go. I think they realize the value of the writings, but he told me he never listened to the radio show!

> It is presently believed the attorney/friend(?) also acquired Sheps' > personal collection of tapes.

By who? I don't think there is such a stash. An old WOR engineer told me there was a locker with tapes in it, but when Shep left the engineers took them - he had about 15 of them which I paid an absurdly high price to obtain. I think if a stash of tapes exists, it's more likely Herb has them - that's a rumor I've heard anyway.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page