Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine Stories by Shep
 Magazines / Short Stories
 Pearl's Bamboo Hut. - Lost Playboy story?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

David Purcell

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  07:28:14  Show Profile  Send David Purcell an AOL message  Send David Purcell a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
As a mere child in the 60's I remember reading a story in Playboy by Mr. Shepherd about an experience during basic training that involved a clip joint called Pearl's Bamboo Hut. The characters Gasser and Zinsmeister were in the story. That's all I can remember. I wonder now if this is a false memory because the story hasn't been antholgized nor is it included in any listing of Mr. Shepherd's Playboy stories. As a long time fan and follower I've never seen any reference to this story at all and I have searched. Does anyone have any information about this story? All I really have to have is the date of that particular Playboy. I'd love to read the story again. Any information at all would be appreciated.

David Purcell

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  20:41:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe the Shep bibliography (elsewhere on this site) is highly accurate. The only "Playboy" stories it lists with an Army background are:

September, 1967 "The Secret Mission of the Blue-Assed Buzzard"

December, 1968 "Banjo Butt Meets Julia Child" and

January, 1970 "Zinsmeister and the Eighter from Decatur"

At the moment my copies are behind some heavy boxes I don't feel like moving, but I suspect you're thinking of the latter story, in which a couple of con artists spectacularly fool Shep's wet-behind-the-ears buddies.

All 3 stories are excellent (but unanthologized).

Bill

Warren G. Harding Class of '63
Go to Top of Page

spiderman

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  01:42:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That story is, in fact, "ZINSMEISTER AND THE TREACHEROUS EIGHTER FROM DECATUR" which appeared in Playboy Jan. '70. They visited "HOWIE'S HAWAIIAN BAMBOO JUNGLE INN" on a pass and got "soaked" by ordering Howie's specialty, the Aloha Hoki-Loki Jungle Juice Blaster...

"Drop the tools, we've got you covered!"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page