Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  13:21:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We'll call your John Chappy John I. I went to school with John III, who died in VietNam. He was married, but I don't remember her name. I know I have the obit around here somewhere.
His father, John II married Lorraine Fertal. They had the boy and I think 2 girls, one for sure. The name Colette comes to mind. John II died a couple years back, but Lorraine is alive somewhere. They were one of the first families to move onto Parrish Ave. as it was being developed......CJ

Edited by - seejay2 on 04/22/2007 13:23:07
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  13:22:24  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
SC and Bill
re: replying
Artim was the trucking company across from Bocken's Funeral Home. I really wonder if Hub Cap is there.He would know about Artim
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  13:32:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I see now, that I don't get full capability to edit, etc. unless I login--at least that appears to be the case. The icons are limited on the posts of "reply".

Bear with me, I'll get it!

Wasn't there a Ron Bocken at Morton?

And, have any of you remembered the Hitching Post? It was rare that I had the money to go there, but it was THE place for the COOL kids to hang out

Grand Park Subdivision 1940-1961 Boondocks of Hessville!

Edited by - S C Jones on 04/22/2007 13:39:31
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  13:43:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do any of you remember Bonnie Crites who lived on Parrish? She was a red head--her parents were divorced---the only kid I knew of whose parents were divorced! Have things changed or what?

quote:
Originally posted by seejay2

The name Colette comes to mind. John II died a couple years back, but Lorraine is alive somewhere. They were one of the first families to move onto Parrish Ave. as it was being developed......CJ

Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  13:58:06  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
No, to Bonnie. I wasn't allowed to go to the Hitchin Post. TOUGH LOVE... golly then I was lectured and grounded because my dad heard three girls criticizing one of my classmates at Janc's soda fountain. I plead "But dad, I wasn't even there!" My parents ran a tight ship!

Hubcap was his nicname among us. It was an affectionate type name.

Edited by - svea3 on 04/22/2007 13:59:12
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  14:49:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep hearing about this Hitching Post. Where and when exactly was this place?.......CJ
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  14:59:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Southeast corner of 170th and Kennedy. It was still there when I graduated. There was an ad for The Hitching Post in the 1961 Top Hat but not in the 1962.

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960

Edited by - wvcogs on 04/22/2007 18:07:57
Go to Top of Page

eyebab

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  15:06:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got back from 2 wks in NM and was glad to see all the new posts and to read through them and tickle the old memory.

Just to add a few tid bits to those who may be interested.... I took Joanne Poole to the senior prom in 1957.

I lived at 7508 Marshall....just south of Morton..and close to 173rd and Kennedy, where I used to ride my bike to the grocery there. Back then my parents would give me a quarter to go get either a loaf of bread, quart of milk, or a pack of Chesterfield...and there would be change.

There was a Kessler who played starting forward for the Morton Governors basketball team in the mid fifties. It was the same team that Ted Guzek played on. Ted went on to a brilliant callege career at Butler, set many records there and played along side Bobby Plump...the one who scored the winning bucket for Milan High School in 1954 to win the Indiana State tournament in a historic upset that inspired the movie "Hoosiers."

Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  16:31:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's an interesting explanation about the geography of the Calumet area of Northwest Indiana that appeared in the Mortonite, the student newspaper of Oliver P. Morton High School, on Friday, November 30, 1956, the year when eyebab was a senior at the school. This was Vol. III, No. 5 of the paper. Cecelia Clark and Pat Palmer were co-editors. Other staff members were Carl Melton, Glenn Schram, Beverly Boesch, Lynne Fitzwater, Alice Hopman, Dolores Walker, Judy Howard, Ronald Daun, Bill Shannon, Marcia Franke, Sheila Beck, and Anne Brant.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/wvcogs72/CalumetArea.jpg

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  17:25:15  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Joanne Poole? Was that Don's sister? They were Mormons, I think
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  17:26:50  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
wvcogs:
The article on DA REGION was super.
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  18:43:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by svea3

Joanne Poole? Was that Don's sister? They were Mormons, I think

Yes, Don and Joanne were/are siblings. I do not know if the family was Mormon or not.
The only family in Grand Park I knew to be Mormon were the Kuschels--the older daughter, Judy, went to Tech after Jr. High at Morton where she socked John Fekete in the eye for whatever!

Ken, that is an awesome addition to our little "archive of info". I recognize the names and can put faces to Cecelia Clarke, Judy Howard, Carl Melton, and Marcia Franke--so they were 1958 grads. Judy Howard's father was a Dr. and they lived in Woodmar. Of course, we know who Carl's father was.

BTW, I have a friend from childhood in Hessville, looking for Kim Miller (She said his full name was Edward Kim Miller.) Classmates are looking for him for their 50th reunion since he did not come to the 45th reunion they had last year. Anyone know anything about him/his family?

Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  18:54:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eyebab

I just got back from 2 wks in NM and was glad to see all the new posts and to read through them and tickle the old memory.

I envy you having gone to my favorite state--I lived out just North of Sante Fe at Glorieta, NM
for a year in the late 70's--Have been back many times, and hope to go again in a year or so.

By the time Joanne was going to the prom with you, we had pretty much lost contact even though we lived on the same street. As teens we seem to live in our own worlds as we get to the high school merry go-round. Were Bennie Burke, Terry Zaiko, and Bobby Keefer on the football team the year(s) you are familiar with?

Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  19:04:10  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Billy Dedelow went to Brigham Young in 1961 and he is the one who told me that Don was a Mormon. Billy (Ed) had six little Mormons. I heard that Helen, his mother just passed. He also went to Covenant. I am going to send him the obit.
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  19:14:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
S C -- Carl Melton was a 1957 grad. The others graduated in '58. It's interesting that you mentioned John Fekete. John is my wife's cousin. We haven't seen him for years. He was a big engineering honcho at Inland Steel after graduating from Purdue. John's father and my wife's mother were brother and sister.

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  20:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need some major help, guys! I need to put together a list of every car dealer in Highland that may have been there in 1950, focusing attention on GMC dealers, but don't stop there if another one comes to mind. Can we do that? Sure we can!!! If you know of a dealer or salesman from that era that may still be around, that is even better....CJ

Edited by - seejay2 on 04/22/2007 20:48:44
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  23:50:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken, I remember John--I think he was in my homeroom from 7th through 12th. I remember him as interested in acting--Arsenic and Old Lace is the play I think I remember him in. Who can account for our memories? He always struck me as an intelligent guy.

Well, I will now give you guys time to find car dealers of yesteryear. I have nothing to add to that bit of history, though I do love refurbished cars.

good luck with your hunt. I'll be back sometime tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  08:15:23  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I remember ABRHAMSON'S,but that was in Hammond, I believe. Besides trucks,we bought Chryslers. Other cars in our family: Nash, Hudson and the stand-by Ford. My Grandfather. the one from Hessville, bought a 1953 Black and white Crown Vic [100th anniversary car].He loved that car,polishing it daily. He bought that new turning in his1936 Chevrolet green sedan. I'd love to have any of them!

My other first cousin rode a Harley. He and his gang rode all the way to Florida to our relatives who live to close to where Disney is now. Relatives weren't tooo happy. He used to hang out at some drivein food establishment on Indianapolis Blvd. It was just a little south of CPScott. Any ideas as to the name? It was across the street from Graybar Electric & radio station.

Now have a model car collection, numbering some 100+. I have a Boxter and would love to drive it in the DREAM CRUISE,if anyone cares to join me!!!

Linda

Edited by - svea3 on 04/23/2007 10:34:57
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  10:38:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda -- When was that when your cousin rode his Harley all the way to Florida?

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  11:46:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, here's what I need help with: someone that I had gone to school with back in 67 is desperately trying to find the whereabouts of her father since 2005. I've been personally involved in this case since January and we have narrowed down the facts with a high degree of confidence as follows(assume all of the following facts and photos focus on 1950 unless otherwise stated):

The name is given as Don Richards although that name could be bogus.

He was a car dealer probably at a Highland dealership.

He frequented a small restaurant named "The Soda Pump" which was located at 6431 Kennedy Ave in Hessville. Some may remember it being called "Rainbow" as well. It was located at the north end of the same block that Dick"s or Pop's was located. In the picture (taken in Feb. of this year) it is the right half of the building (Super Express).
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/PumpEast-1.jpg

This is the only 1950 photo we have of the same building.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/SodaPump2.jpg

He drove a red 1950 Pontiac Chieftain convertable. This was a very rare and sought after car. The picture is a composite I made up to draw attention to what the car looked like. A car like this cruising around Hessville would have been very noticable. In the photo, the car is a 51, but there was very little difference between a 50 & 51. The man in the photo is Don Richards, the subject of our search. The woman is Violet Lipke, very likely the owner of "Soda Shop"

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Rear_b.jpg

This is a front shot of the same car.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/43472_Front_3-4.jpg

This unidentified blond worked at "Soda Shop"

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/SodaPumpblonde.jpg

If anything at all clicks, no matter how insignificant you may think it is, please post it. Thanks all............Cj
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  12:20:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
He used to hang out at some drivein food establishment on Indianapolis Blvd. It was just a little south of CPScott. Any ideas as to the name? It was across the street from Graybar Electric & radio station.
Linda

Linda, I think that might have been the Fat Boy.

Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  12:36:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by seejay2

I need some major help, guys! I need to put together a list of every car dealer in Highland that may have been there in 1950, focusing attention on GMC dealers, but don't stop there if another one comes to mind. Can we do that? Sure we can!!! If you know of a dealer or salesman from that era that may still be around, that is even better....CJ

C J--
Stan Mize has an auto dealership in Schereville--he is a Morton Graduate, probably around 1961.... He was young in 1950, but hey--his father or brother may have been in the new car business, I don't know. Just Google Stan Mize--you'll get the business address/telephone #.
Hope this helps.
Also, all our blogs can be gotten through Google--I just saw my reference to Diane Kuschel on Google.....

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  12:42:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got it. Thanks SC.......CJ
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  13:13:00  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
KEN

Yes that was one of relatives. They drove to Leesburg FL
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  13:14:41  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
SC Thanks for the Fat Boy reference. My cousin was like the Fonz!

OH We have a Hohman family here- they are farmers in RomulusMI. There is a Sibley Road, Sibley Lumber and a Sibley House, a historical 1800's house of the first mayor.

Edited by - svea3 on 04/23/2007 15:38:51
Go to Top of Page

Pro2am

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  17:04:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda,

As SC said, it could have been the Fat Boy drive-in. It was just south of the Woodmar Shopping Center and 167th Street, on the west side of Indianapolis Blvd. However, there were also two other drive-in restaurants located a block further south on the west side of Indpls. Blvd, just south of 169th St. : Kelly's Drive-In (now Nick's Liquors) and right next door to it on its south side, the Serenade Drive-In (that spot is now occupied by a clinic that used to be the unemployment office, Karne's Music Center, and who knows what else).

Mike Rapchak Jr.
Hammond

[quote]Originally posted by svea3

SC Thanks for the Fat Boy reference. My cousin was like the Fonz!

Go to Top of Page

Pro2am

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  17:08:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda,

I don't think that is the location of the drive-in. Graybar (which AFAIK is still there) is north of 165th St. and the Woodmar Shopping Center (or at least where it used to be), on the east side of the Boulevard. The radio station behind/next to Graybar is WJOB.

-------------------------

He used to hang out at some drivein food establishment on Indianapolis Blvd. It was just a little south of CPScott. Any ideas as to the name? It was across the street from Graybar Electric & radio station.

Linda
[/quote]
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  17:31:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The description Linda gave of where the drive-in was, made me think it was closer to 165th and Kelly's was on the corner of 169th and Indpls Blvd--my 16th birthday working there got me a dozen roses from two guys--the family of one of them was a florist and the guys were being pretend competitive for my attention. Nikolas Kikolas, Kelly's Drive IN owner must own the liquor store that sits on that corner. I saw a NWI Times story on line about his having purchased a lot on Kennedy to put up a liquor store, after three years of trying to get his building permit, the city ordinance would not allow that type business at that location, so the city paid him for loss of time/revenue something like 3 million----that is not an exact amt--can't remember how much, but he got to keep the property!!!!!

I worked at Graybar for a year or two to get money saved for college, and I never knew WJOB was near that building.

[quote]Originally posted by Pro2am

Linda,

there were also two other drive-in restaurants located a block further south on the west side of Indpls. Blvd, just south of 169th St. : Kelly's Drive-In (now Nick's Liquors) and right next door to it on its south side, the Serenade Drive-In

Edited by - S C Jones on 04/23/2007 20:26:07
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  21:14:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda Harmon!
Not long ago you had posted an explanation of your username; something about svea meaning woman and sven is man, correct? I can't seem to find that post now. I found it especially interesting because of something I found on a small wooden box of my father's things after he had passed. When I saw the Svea by itself (as opposed to the Svea3) it reminded me of this object. You seem to be very proud of the 'svea' moniker. Maybe you can help me with this object. I probably won't post it tonight because I have to go into a cedar chest in the basement and rummage around for this thing, but I will have a pic of it up some time tomorrow morning I hope. Where is that posting about the svea & sven? Was it in another topic?....CJ
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  23:11:55  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
CJ:
I wrote it to you on your own email. As I said, I am Swede and German (Saxon,Schwab & Pomeranian). My uncles and dad were all referred to as Swedes as my Grandfather in ole Hessville. Johnson was my maiden name. Sven is used for Swedish men and Svea is just a Swedish woman's nicname. Ending in "on" means its a Swede. "en" = Nordsk/Dansk "in"= Finsk I always say that the only one who knows the difference amongst the Vikings is one of 'em. And there are a lot of them on the Detroit Red Wings.

After my divorce I assumed my my Grandfather Johnson's mother's name which was HARMON.. Her brother was the City Treasurer of East Chicago in 1905 ( Walter Harmon) and she was a midwife/ surgeon in the Civil War, because all the men were gone to war. She also ran a hotel in Fort Dodge Iowa. My Grandfather always wanted me to be named after her....?Cecelia???... and I always idolized her as a youth. She lived on Black Oak Road at the corner of Arkansas until her death in 1930. Cecelia was born about 100 years before me to the day.

Understand now? The box might have been made in Sweden. Hope you find it. Remember Johnson means son of John in Swedish. CHJ was my father's initials!

Other thing I told you is that I love autos!

Edited by - svea3 on 04/23/2007 23:47:24
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  10:28:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda Harmon
Last night when I said "on" a box, that was a typo. "In" a box. I am curious about the significance of the medallion.

CJ

Edited by - seejay2 on 04/24/2007 10:39:14
Go to Top of Page

Jim

46 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  11:45:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ,

I did a Google using SVEA, DANA, NORA, and the letters S, F, and A. Here is the same medallion on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SVEA-pin-marked-Nora-Dana-SFA-Sweeden_W0QQitemZ270085203886QQihZ017QQcategoryZ50789QQcmdZViewItem

Here is a second resource for an explanation of the medallion:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/flaghold/flag091.htm

Jim
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  12:25:42  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
CJ

WOW!!!! I honestly do not know. The name was in my family history. It almost looks Masonic.... but the Teutonic Knights [Crusader types] were from Sweden/ Baltic Sea area. I am going to ask my older brother, who lives in Lafayette,IN.

Now you know the restaurant Phil Schmidts close to Lever Brothers? Before it was
owned by Schmidt's it was owned by a fellow name LINDGREN. [ LIND =SWEDISH name]. He originally owned the saloon on 169th/Kennedy and my dad was his newspaper boy. [One of my Swedish family surnames was LINDquist ] Well Lindgren's wife's name was SVEA.

Now my Swedish Grandfather's family started Evangelical Lutheran sect. We hail from a spot called SWEDEbend Iowa. How's that! I thought everyone ate herring and lots of fish..
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  12:30:02  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Jim and CJ:

To wit, my son's name is Dayne! Johnson And the use of the name Dayne had to be absolved by my Father!

Jenny Lind was a Swedish songstress in the1800's and the Lind is style of Ethan Allen furniture. Lund is a name of a fishing craft. My Father even even builthis own lake in Michigan andstocked it with Rainbow Trout, because that was my favorite as the Steelhead which isthe BEST of the Great Lakes.
Incidentally, all three of my children took the surname Johnson after the divorce. I was the odd duck with Harmon. Mark and Tom Harmon are relatives, by the way.

I want to buy one of these medallions
Linda

Edited by - svea3 on 04/24/2007 13:06:16
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  12:59:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ -- How about contacting the Embassy of Sweden in Washington, DC to see if anyone there can give you some idea about the medallion? Click on "contact us" on the Embassy's web site for their email address.

http://www.swedenabroad.se/Start____6989.aspx

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  13:18:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a class picture from the late 1940s of a 3rd or 4th grade class at Parish Elementary in Hessville. SC will ID some of these kids.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/wvcogs72/ParishElementary-Hessville.jpg

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960

Edited by - wvcogs on 04/24/2007 13:56:28
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  13:22:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just googled Svea Dana Nora just like it appears here. Got this:SF Baltic-Skandinavia Hall Of Fame-Hvorfor vi k¾mper for ...
There are four large granite corner stones SVEA (Sweden) NORA (Norway) DANA (Denmark) and SUOMI (Finland), each bearing an inscription, the figure of a ...

This is just the listing in Google, not the actual site--and there may be more--anyway, the Svea Nora Dana --SFA may be Skandinavia Faternal/Federal?? Alliance?

GUESSING of course, I am Welsh/native american/Russian born, so what do I know about the Baltic brother/sisterhoods?

quote:
Originally posted by wvcogs

CJ -- How about contacting the Embassy of Sweden in Washington, DC to see if anyone there can give you some idea about the medallion? Click on "contact us" on the Embassy's web site for their email address.

http://www.swedenabroad.se/Start____6989.aspx

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960

Edited by - S C Jones on 04/24/2007 13:28:39
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  13:29:38  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
THANKS TO YOU ALL

With Ken's suggestion, I just asked the Ambassador in DC

I have the 'glug' recipe from the Swedish Ambassador in Chicago. He gave it to my dad in the 1930's. .

By the way Nora and Dana are popular names in the family.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  13:32:38  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey Ken,

Why don't you post the 8B-1 photo I gave you from OPM? I have more class pix.

L J H
Go to Top of Page

Jim

46 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  13:32:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda,

If you return to the ebay link you will notice that there were no bidders for this item. So it should still be available. Send an email to the seller and work out a deal!

Jim

PS I have done a little more searching.

"At the head of the fiord are the three Kings crowns (all queens!) called Svea, Nora and Dana, where wind and rain has sculpted pyramids which 'crown' glacier sculpted bodies. Totally beautiful."

http://www.capefarewell.com/content/2004day06.php

And, the last reference:

"Instead we take a swing towards east and drive around the 3 royal mountains –Svea, Nora and Dana. We cross Krone glacier and overnight up on Holterdahlsfonna."

http://www.basecampexplorer.com/svalbard/MENU_2/Expedition_with_dogs_/91948/en

Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  13:35:35  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ALL FRIENDS

the RUSsians were the Vikings. Look at the athletes from Russian. So you also are A VIKING!

The government of the Vikings was called the All Thing

Edited by - svea3 on 04/24/2007 13:42:50
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  13:37:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ
Check out this site---with explanation by Swedish women description and picture of a flag hold with S F A
http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/flaghold/flag091.htm

quote:

THANKS TO YOU ALL

With Ken's suggestion, I just asked the Ambassador in DC

I have the 'glug' recipe from the Swedish Ambassador in Chicago. He gave it to my dad in the 1930's. .

By the way Nora and Dana are popular names in the family.

Linda

Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  13:50:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Why don't you post the 8B-1 photo I gave you from OPM? I have more class pix.

I did. It's on page 23.

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  13:51:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the response, guys!
The old man had a couple of those around somewhere and I had this one laying in a box, forgotten about, for years until this came up. The first glance I had given it, I thought it was some Masonic type of thing. It still could be some kind of secret society type of thing. Something I was reading about it was that there is a region of Norway(where MY grampa is from) called Svalbard. Svalbard lies about half way between Norway proper and Antarctica. In that region somewhere are three royal mountains, Dana, Svea and Nora. I don't think it is Scandinavian because it doesn't refer to Finland (Suomi)at all. That makes some sense to me because when I look at the center white part of the medallion, the 'light' seems to be shining down on there three mountains, Dana, Svea and Nora. What's the S F A about? I don't know.
So what kind of game does one have to pitch to earn this mysterious medallion? I can't picture my grandfather belonging to some secret society except maybe The Friends of The Neighborly Tap.
You're right, Ken, It's time to contact somebody, but my money says it's not the Swedes.....CJ
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  13:51:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I was the captain of Mrs. Olive Byers homeroom basketball team--I suggested our name, too--Olive's Oilers--and we were the champions in 1958! So, yeah, I'm a Viking with Cherokee or Chochtaw and Welsh mixed in.....

Ken's latest posted photo may be of interest to you and to Joanne's prom date. She is in the back row to the right. The names I know in that photo are: John Jones (now deceased), Ray Clevenger, Bonnie Sharkey (Sue's older sister) Francis Meade, Eddie Chick (now deceased), Patsy Keefer, and the son of the one-eyed postman whose car I ran in front of as a 2nd grader at Parish Elementary located @ 173rd and Parish.

quote:

the RUSsians were the Vikings. Look at the athletes from Russian. So you also are A VIKING!

Edited by - S C Jones on 04/24/2007 14:15:23
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  13:59:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shouldn't there be a story with the one-eyed postman in it? Sounds like a Shep character to me.

Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  14:04:40  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I found this too. My Grandfather did tell me that we were from Western Sweden. The Masonic orders were connected,but the Swedes' Christian not monotheistic. I played with Sue Sharkey's BB team. I was a forward,but it was Sue that had the most baskets on our winning team!

1793- Svea Orden (SO)/ The Order of Svea

The Svea were the founders of Sweden during early middle ages when they conquered the Gotha. This christian and patriotic fraternal Order was first named ”Citizens of Gibraltar” because the order met in the Gibraltar room of the pub ”The English Cellar” in Stockholm. Because of the French revolution the order’s name lead people to believe that the order was pro-revolutionary, and thus the name was changed. Admits women since 1917. Benefits Swedish culture before 1500. The highest degree is shared with Götiska Förbundet/ Gotha Union (below).

1815- Götiska förbundet (GF)/ The Gotha Union

The Gotha lived in the south-west part of Sweden, and were conquered by the Svea during the early Middle-Ages. To this day, the Swedish King is styled ’King of Svea, Gotha and Vandi’. This patriotic fraternal order shares it’s highest degree with Svea Orden/ The Order of Svea.
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  14:09:10  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey the Order of SVEA met in the PUB!
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  14:19:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey the Order of SVEA met in the PUB!

What was their fermented drink of choice? Did they use steins as in Germany?

Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  14:23:33  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
GLUG
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page