New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  09:14:05  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I know, and it is exciting.
Now my GreatGrandfather, Bernhardt Lohse and his brother George Arthur were farmers out by 169th to past Black Oak Road. The Nickle Plate RR ran through diagonally. There was a huge slough out there , where there are probably a lot of houses now. My Father sold the last of the farm in the late 50'sand before that Bernhardt gave the property for the Caldwell School.

Edited by - svea3 on 04/20/2007 09:15:53
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  10:41:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of our next door neighbor ladies in Grand Park had connections, through marriage, to the Hess family--closest I come to "Hessville Royalty"

We always called the farmer Scottie who owned the fields between Kentucky Ave.(the east side of the property) in Grand Park and Parish Ave. (the west side of the property, bordering the North side of the Nickle Plate RR --but I don't know what his name was.
(I assume he was Scottish, but who knows!) We used his field (farmer's field) as a shortcut to school and beautiful downtown Hessville--or we walked the tracks--until an engineer was hit with a rock thrown by a kid and we then had a law laid down that kept us off the tracks. I still have dreams of walking through that field, but the dreams always have me lost and searching for the road from the field to town!! --that would be Parish to 172 and past OLPH.

quote:
Originally posted by svea3

I know, and it is exciting.
Now my GreatGrandfather, Bernhardt Lohse and his brother George Arthur were farmers out by 169th to past Black Oak Road. The Nickle Plate RR ran through diagonally. There was a huge slough out there , where there are probably a lot of houses now. My Father sold the last of the farm in the late 50'sand before that Bernhardt gave the property for the Caldwell School.

[purple]Grand Park Subdivision 1940-1961 Boondocks of Hessville![purple]

Edited by - S C Jones on 05/21/2007 12:25:23
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  11:30:22  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
SC:

As far as I know, he was 100% German. Parrish Ave was to the East of the property. My GreatAunt Caroline Lohse was the last to live there. [That's my Grandmother's sister]Her last husband was name Braun. another German. Now my Great Uncle Bill Lohse was a Blacksmith and his shop was on 171st and the alley between Kennedy /Marshall. That was only one block from Morton.

As a kid I could never understand why my Grandfather was asked to speak at our 8th Grade, as an oldster I have some idea. He had some great stories.

Edited by - svea3 on 04/20/2007 11:33:40
Go to Top of Page

emttt

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  11:58:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,

I am not from the region; I am from central Illinois, but I hae enjoyed the tour through Hessville via your memories.(I hope you don't mind my stowing away.)

I believe that I was born a little too late as I love stories of the older times when everyone knew their neighbors, and people didn't seem to be so rushed. That's what drew me to ACS in the first place.

I graduated high school in 1984 and the town that I grew up in did not have half of what it sounds like Hessville had, and by the time I was in high school what was there was dying due to the mall. (I HATE MALLS!!!!)

I have three children ranging in age from 7-18, and they are not going to have any really good stories of when they were young. You can't have any good stories about the pimply faced kids who do not know what service is who work at the mall.

I did live in Chicago in the late 80's/early 90's, and I was saddened by the way that the neighborhoods that made that city so vibrant in the past were dying, because of the lack of the mom & pop stores. There was a Golblatt's there that I shopped at once when I first moved to Chicago, but it closed not long after.

So I hope you don't mind if I check in every now and then to live the gold old dyas vicariously through you.
Go to Top of Page

emttt

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  12:24:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The things that I really miss from when I was growing up are the Drive In movies, A&W Drive in restaurant( I know it's not a mom & pop like you had in Hessville.), and the Earl Theater. The Earl was a small movie house that would show movies after they had their initial run; it cost 25 cents to get in. Occasionally they would get a first run movie; like when they got the first Star Trek movie, but the cost never went up. Our earth science teacher my freshman year of high school was a big Star Trek fan, so when the movie came out he took our class to the movie as a school field trip.
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  12:56:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello emttt and welcome. Stop by any time. You would have fit in perfectly in the community of Hessville. I'm happy to see that your science teacher back in your freshman year took your class to see the Star Trek movie. "Live Long and Prosper."

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  13:13:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Ken!
I'm heading back to the old country in about an hour. I'll grab a pic of Eastwood's church, anything else?......CJ
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  13:34:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking about asking for a pix of the old homestead, but the current resident just might come out with a shotgun if he or she sees some pointing a camera at the house, so better not. That's a different place than the one you shot earlier. Thanks.

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  13:39:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll bet my shotgun's bigger than his! Where?....CJ
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  13:46:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
6842 Carolina -- I believe it's the fourth house from 169th on the west side.

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  14:33:37  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emttt

Hey guys,

I am not from the region; I am from central Illinois, but I hae enjoyed the tour through Hessville via your memories.(I hope you don't mind my stowing away.)

I believe that I was born a little too late as I love stories of the older times when everyone knew their neighbors, and people didn't seem to be so rushed. That's what drew me to ACS in the first place.

I graduated high school in 1984 and the town that I grew up in did not have half of what it sounds like Hessville had, and by the time I was in high school what was there was dying due to the mall. (I HATE MALLS!!!!)

I have three children ranging in age from 7-18, and they are not going to have any really good stories of when they were young. You can't have any good stories about the pimply faced kids who do not know what service is who work at the mall.

I did live in Chicago in the late 80's/early 90's, and I was saddened by the way that the neighborhoods that made that city so vibrant in the past were dying, because of the lack of the mom & pop stores. There was a Golblatt's there that I shopped at once when I first moved to Chicago, but it closed not long after.

So I hope you don't mind if I check in every now and then to live the gold old dyas vicariously through you.

Where from in Central Illinois? I go to Taylorville on business once in a while.

How far from Springfield are you? You could get a "taste" of the good old days by trying some Maid-Rite hamburgers or cheeseburgers.

Glad you have joined us. I'm sorry that you don't have all the wonderful memories that most of us "old timers" have, but you are welcome to help yourself to our memories and to take part in the discussions here.

Tom

A 1967 Graduate of Hammond High who cherishes his memories of growing up in the Hammond of the 1950's and 1960's. Bring back those days!
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  14:39:12  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
EMMITT WELCOME JUST JOIN IN..

Eastwood was just super. That was the church in which I was raised.It was/is beautiful. I took my daughter to see it for my OLPMHS reunion (which you Ken didn't make!) for John Melton and our choir. Mrs Leonore Melton was a grad of HHS playing clarinet and organ. Their daughter Marie is in Champaign IL directing a band. Carl played for the Marine Band last I knew.

I will not divulge what Ken played, but I was the Oboeist.

Edited by - svea3 on 04/20/2007 15:36:00
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  16:24:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Linda, do you know who owned the little store on 173rd and Parish? That was a place we stopped on the way home from school if we went the long way. One winter, Joanne Poole and I were the only one's to go to school--we walked as far as that store and had to go in to defrost--literally had icicles in our noses----After getting to school and finding that everyone else in our neighborhood stayed home because it was so cold, I regretted for years having gone on that day!! Then again, Joanne and I kinda felt like heroines braving the great outdoors.

Parish school was on the opposite corner, I think--I went to first and second grades in that little wooden building. I was hit by a car on the way to school--we were playing tag and I dodged to miss a tag and ran into the path of a car driven by a one-eyed (no lie) mailman--that man's daughter married Nickolas Kiklos who owned Kelly's drive in and for whom I worked as a 16 year old. 173rd at that time was a coal cinder rather than a blacktopped road. I had lots of scratches from that car accident which threw me for a distance--No broken bones, though.

quote:

SC:

As far as I know, he was 100% German. Parrish Ave was to the East of the property. My GreatAunt Caroline Lohse was the last to live there. [That's my Grandmother's sister]Her last husband was name Braun. another German. Now my Great Uncle Bill Lohse was a Blacksmith and his shop was on 171st and the alley between Kennedy /Marshall. That was only one block from Morton.

As a kid I could never understand why my Grandfather was asked to speak at our 8th Grade, as an oldster I have some idea. He had some great stories.

Grand Park Subdivision 1940-1961 Boondocks of Hessville!
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  16:40:18  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
SC:

My dad owned several buildings and I think that was one of them. I lived at 173rd and Kennedy. Say, do you remember the Christmas Tree with the flashing lights? Well, that was my dad's operation. It was really nice cause I had this huge tree shining into my windows for the month Joan was a good friend of mine. Do you remember when she shaved her arm hair? I said to her why do you want to do that? It will come in like bristles?

Edited by - svea3 on 04/20/2007 16:59:11
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  17:26:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I do remember the Christmas tree--lucky you! I do not remember her shaving her arms, but I do remember that she had lots of hair on her arms. She always seemed to be a beauty pageant type to me. Probably because she was a bit older than I and was tall--I never got beyond 5' 1 and 1/2. Did you know Patsy Keefer? I think she and Joan were in the same grade--not sure though.

quote:

SC:

My dad owned several buildings and I think that was one of them. I lived at 173rd and Kennedy. Say, do you remember the Christmas Tree with the flashing lights? Well, that was my dad's operation. It was really nice cause I had this huge tree shining into my windows for the month Joan was a good friend of mine. Do you remember when she shaved her arm hair? I said to her why do you want to do that? It will come in like bristles?

Go to Top of Page

Pro2am

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  19:19:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SC,

Was the store right on the northeast corner of the 173rd-Parrish Ave. intersection? If so, then I imagine it's the structure I've been familiar with since the early 1960s. Here's a little history on the building.

Back in the '50s we lived on Magoun Ave. (6912, 3 doors south of 169th St.) in Woodmar. On the northwest corner of the Magoun-169th St. intersection was a small builing that housed a barbershop named Darnell's (I can't recall his first name). We moved to Hessville in early 1962 (7340 California Ave., a few doors south of 173rd St. and Hessville Park). It was somewhere around this time that Darnell relocated his barbershop to Hessville - in that building on the corner of 173rd and Parrish (personally I never knew it used to be a store). He took on a younger barber as his assistant, a guy named Doug Paris from Woodmar (Doug's younger brother Terry and I were classmates at OLPH; coincidentally, we both currently work for Union Tank Car Co. in East Chicago). Several years later Darnell passed away (I forget if this was while he still ran the barber shop or if he'd already quit the business) and Doug Paris took over as head barber. At this time I am not certain if he still has the shop in that building (I rarely go through that area anymore). But the building itself is still there.

Mike Rapchak Jr.
Hammond
-------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by S C Jones

Linda, do you know who owned the little store on 173rd and Parish? That was a place we stopped on the way home from school if we went the long way. One winter, Joanne Poole and I were the only one's to go to school--we walked as far as that store and had to go in to defrost--literally had icicles in our noses----After getting to school and finding that everyone else in our neighborhood stayed home because it was so cold, I regretted for years having gone on that day!! Then again, Joanne and I kinda felt like heroines braving the great outdoors.

Parish school was on the opposite corner, I think--I went to first and second grades in that little wooden building. I was hit by a car on the way to school--we were playing tag and I dodged to miss a tag and ran into the path of a car driven by a one-eyed (no lie) mailman--that man's daughter married Nickolas Kiklos who owned Kelly's drive in and for whom I worked as a 16 year old. 173rd at that time was a coal cinder rather than a blacktopped road. I had lots of scratches from that car accident which threw me for a distance--No broken bones, though.

quote:

SC:

Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  19:38:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Mike that is where the store was. I think it had changed from a grocery-type store before I left the area in 1960-61. If fact, it may not have been grocery when Joan and I stopped there to get warmed up before going on that day.

Isn't it interesting how some buildings stay "forever" (at least as we know forever) and others get demolished at the blink of an eye--which is happening more and more and faster and faster where I live now because the developers are on a tear to get new, bigger, houses on less and less land--density of population is the phrase that is thrown around here by the gov't entities as a good thing. Time will tell. Too much forced closeness of people can cause much hostility and can get ugly.

quote:
Originally posted by Pro2am

SC,

Was the store right on the northeast corner of the 173rd-Parrish Ave. intersection? If so, then I imagine it's the structure I've been familiar with since the early 1960s. Here's a little history on the building.

Back in the '50s we lived on Magoun Ave. (6912, 3 doors south of 169th St.) in Woodmar. On the northwest corner of the Magoun-169th St. intersection was a small builing that housed a barbershop named Darnell's (I can't recall his first name). We moved to Hessville in early 1962 (7340 California Ave., a few doors south of 173rd St. and Hessville Park). It was somewhere around this time that Darnell relocated his barbershop to Hessville - in that building on the corner of 173rd and Parrish (personally I never knew it used to be a store). He took on a younger barber as his assistant, a guy named Doug Paris from Woodmar (Doug's younger brother Terry and I were classmates at OLPH; coincidentally, we both currently work for Union Tank Car Co. in East Chicago). Several years later Darnell passed away (I forget if this was while he still ran the barber shop or if he'd already quit the business) and Doug Paris took over as head barber. At this time I am not certain if he still has the shop in that building (I rarely go through that area anymore). But the building itself is still there.

Mike Rapchak Jr.
Hammond
-------------------------------------

quote:

quote:

SC:

Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  10:02:59  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
SC:

Want to thank you,too. Seeings how I am just a great grand daughter of the'RiverRat', that was Bernhardt Lohse's nicname as he was always fishing in the Little Calumet. Those people's stories of such things as keeping their meat in a brine solution in a container on their front porch are still alive a century and a half later. They had no refrigeration! We are lucky to be alive now!

Linda
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  10:03:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK Ken, the time has come. Yes, indeed my shotgun was bigger, but I was even happier not having to display it.
Here is the 6842 address.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/6842.jpg

As I had said earlier, Rev. Eastwood just passed away on Feb. 13 of this year at age 95. Yeah I broke the gentleman's "photo links only, please" rule, but it's a little bitty picture.

The church still carries the Covenant Presbyterian title.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Pressign.jpg
Here are two more photos of the church as it is today.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Presfront.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Presaddon.jpg

Here is a bonus pic for you! Do I have the right place?
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Bonus.jpg

This next part is for Mike Rapchak. We had been talking about where Granny's may have been located. As I remembered, it was right next door, to the south, of what was the State Farm office (now a tattoo joint)at the time.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/StFarm.jpg

I remember a building right next door because it offered perfect cover for us as we used to go behind the St. Farm office during lunch to smoke cigarettes. But now, as you can see, there is an empty lot there.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/MTlot.jpg

But there is a place next to the lot that could have been Granny's. Maybe it will hit you in the face. I just flat out don't remember now. I wouldn't take too much time though, as it looks like Triffids are about to overwhelm the place. Take away the aluminum vestibule, and it could be the place. You tell me.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Granny.jpg
or even the next place
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/DSC01144.jpg
Maybe the next pic will help jolt the memory...........CJ
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Granny2-1.jpg
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  10:33:59  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the great photos. The church looks as Eastwood is shining down on it. He was such an inspiration. His words of explanation are always coming back to me when I go to church. Where is he laid to rest?

Now the other buildings and spots bring back memories too. I love the last one! haha
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  10:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dr. John H. Eastwood, D.D. Hessville, IN Dr. John H. Eastwood, D.D., age 95, of Hessville, passed away on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 at Community Hospital in Munster. He is survived by his wife of 63 years Shirley (nee Baker); four children: Mark (Ilene) Eastwood of Hammond; Martha (James) Sutkowski of Griffith, Rebecca Boydston of Champaign, IL, David Eastwood of Mead, NE; eight grandchildren Kristine (Paul) McDonald, Alan Sutkowski, James M. Eastwood, Jonathan (Alisha) Eastwood, William D. (Cleta) Eastwood, James D. Eastwood, Elizabeth and Desiree Stubbee; five great-grandchildren: Elijah, Emma and Lauren Eastwood, Macy and Riley Sutkowski; one sister-in-law Elizabeth Eastwood of Texas. Preceded in death by his parents, Frank and Elizabeth Eastwood; one brother Richard Eastwood and two sisters: Winifred and Gertrude Eastwood. Funeral services will be held on Saturday, February 17, 2007 at 10:00 a.m. directly at Covenant Presbyterian Church, 6709 Arizona Ave, Hammond (Hessville) with Pastor James A. Thomson, officiating. Burial to follow at Elmwood Cemetery in Hammond. Friends are invited to meet with the family on Friday, February 16, 2007 at Bocken Funeral Home, 7042 Kennedy Avenue, Hammond (Hessville) from 2-4 and 6-8 p.m. There will be a time of viewing at the church on Saturday morning from 9:30 until the time of service at 10:00 a.m. John was born and grew up on his parent's farm in Pawnee, NE where he confessed his faith in Christ and joined the Mission Creek Presbyterian Church. As a young man he felt called to be a minister. John was active in football through his high school and college years. He graduated from Tarkio College in 1935. He then traveled to Assiut, Egypt and taught English for 3 years. When he returned to the states. John attended Princeton Seminary and received his degree in Theology in 1941. John's first ministry was in Minden, NE where he met Shirley Baker. They were married in 1943 at her parent's home near Souix City, Iowa. John enlisted in the Army Air Corps and was assigned to the 464th Bomb Group in Italy. Where as a chaplain he ministered to the service men who flew bombing missions in the WWII European Theatre. During his service he wrote 980 letters to families of airmen killed or missing in action. At the end of the war he accepted a calling to minister at the First United Presbyterian Church of Monmouth, IL where he also taught courses at Monmouth College. In 1953 the family moved to Hammond, IN to minister at Covenant Presbyterian Church. During his many years of service at Covenant John touched the lives of many people. John was a author and published three books of his sermons. During his retirement years John served as the first pastor to the Faith Presbyterian Church in La Porte. He will be missed by his family and all who knew him. In lieu of flowers the family is requesting contributions be made to the memorial fund at Covenant Presbyterian Church, 6709 Arizona Avenue, Hammond, IN 46323. For further information please call Bocken Funeral Home at 219-844-1600.
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  10:54:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks CJ. If that's the place across from IBEW, you got it. I'm glad we were there only a short time when we first moved to the area. The only good thing about it was that the "new" Cande's was right next door.

I attended services mostly in the Covenant building on 167th and Arizona, but a few times in the newer one after it was completed. The last time I saw Dr. Eastwood was at our wedding in 1963.

Thanks for all the memories.

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  11:00:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think of all the "cool" places, like Cande's, that have fallen over the years; and Blue Top which is about to go, but that place(across from IBEW) still stands. Why?
Glad you enjoyed the others....CJ
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  13:19:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ, thanks for the pics. Is that Moochie running from Granny's ghost?

One of my best friends from the neighborhood sent me the obit. for Eastwood back in Feburary. Her family attended Covenant in the 50's and beyond. She is now down state Indiana. The man had a lot of influence on the people of Hessville--he and Ramker were classy people.

Do any of you know if Mike Ventrella was the last owner of Cande's? Mike was an older brother to Ken who was a 1958 grad. Mike got into some kind of trouble that landed him in prison in the early to mid 1950's. The first I ever knew of him was when he jumped over the fence at the "new--then" swimming pool in Hessville park and saved a drowning
child. The prison story came out in the Hammond Times with a picture telling of Mike's heroic act.
In 1961 or 62, when I came home for a summer, I went to Cande's and the waiter told me that Mike was the owner.

Also, on a heavier note, do any of you recall the Opal Collins murders in 1954 or 5? Took place out on Orchard Drive/Black Oak Road--she shot her mother-in-law, two sister-in-laws, and her parapalegic husband. After shooting them, she ran to her next door neighbors--who were the Taylors recently moved from Grand Park--and said "I just shot the whole damn family." The oldest sister-in-law, Martha, was in my homeroom and I had gone to their home for an evening meal about 3 mos. before Opal came to live with them. --This memory was brought back to me by the VT killings.

quote:
Originally posted by seejay2

Think of all the "cool" places, like Cande's, that have fallen over the years; and Blue Top which is about to go, but that place(across from IBEW) still stands. Why?
Glad you enjoyed the others....CJ

Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  14:20:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And thanks from me also for posting the obituary. I found one of Eastwood's books on Amazon.com and ordered it. That's no guarantee that I will ever read the sermons; but at least I'll have his autographed book in my collection. Who knows, maybe someday???

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  14:32:40  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
SC:
I remember the killings. For anyone who thinks that crimes and shootings are a newthing....NOT.

Ken played Coronet sitting two rows behind me. The French Horns were in between. The last time I saw Ken was when he was with the Indiana University Marching Band at Michigan State University in East Lansing. [Oboes don't play anything but American flags and guns] John Melton,picolo player for John Philip Sousa ,was a terrific Band Director.

OH a special thanks to the posting of the Eastwood obit. He was my parents' age and I never realized that. I am going to send it to my brother, who is a physician in Lafayette,IN.

TO EVERYONE

YOU ARE ALL INVITED TO THE DREAM CRUISE WOODWARD AVENUE this August. This is where they parade all the cars we know from our youth. This is the World's largest Cruise. was.

I live on an Island and the geography is just liike Hammond/Hessville. They refine Marathon Gas here, so it is like Whiting. Detroit has a huge basin of salt underneath.

LINDA '60 OPMorton [from Kindergarten through HS]

Edited by - svea3 on 04/21/2007 14:35:53
Go to Top of Page

Pro2am

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  15:03:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Cris,

First of all let me offer a genuine Thank You for posting all those photos of what may or may not have been the location of Grandma's Delicatessan. And the last one is a hoot! :-)

To be honest, I'm still very uncertain of its exact location. I pass by the structures quite frequently - epsecially on Fridays as I conduct my financial affairs with the Regional Fedderal Credit Union down Kennedy Ave. across from Hessville Park - which brings to mind another long-gone business: the little Dairy-Queen-type ice cream place that used to be where the credit union is now. Anyone remember it and its name (I should be able to but can't at the moment)?

A couple of summers ago my brother Larry and I did an in-depth tour of the area around Kennedy Ave., OLPH school, etc. Larry has excellent recall and a near-photographic memory when it comes to our childhood experiences. Yet neither he nor I could recall which store was Granny's. Interestingly, we were both drawn to the structure you featured - the one with Moochie's Tap in it. We still aren't certain if that was the one, but it seemed the most likely candidate (that enclosed entrance thingy jutting out from the front of the building confuses things some). If that is the correct building, then, IIRC, Granny's store was the north section (on the right side in the photos). But again, I could be mistaken. Arrgghh!! :-)

Mike Rapchak Jr.

quote:
Originally posted by seejay2

OK Ken, the time has come. Yes, indeed my shotgun was bigger, but I was even happier not having to display it.
Here is the 6842 address.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/6842.jpg

As I had said earlier, Rev. Eastwood just passed away on Feb. 13 of this year at age 95. Yeah I broke the gentleman's "photo links only, please" rule, but it's a little bitty picture.

The church still carries the Covenant Presbyterian title.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Pressign.jpg
Here are two more photos of the church as it is today.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Presfront.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Presaddon.jpg

Here is a bonus pic for you! Do I have the right place?
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Bonus.jpg

This next part is for Mike Rapchak. We had been talking about where Granny's may have been located. As I remembered, it was right next door, to the south, of what was the State Farm office (now a tattoo joint)at the time.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/StFarm.jpg

I remember a building right next door because it offered perfect cover for us as we used to go behind the St. Farm office during lunch to smoke cigarettes. But now, as you can see, there is an empty lot there.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/MTlot.jpg

But there is a place next to the lot that could have been Granny's. Maybe it will hit you in the face. I just flat out don't remember now. I wouldn't take too much time though, as it looks like Triffids are about to overwhelm the place. Take away the aluminum vestibule, and it could be the place. You tell me.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Granny.jpg
or even the next place
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/DSC01144.jpg
Maybe the next pic will help jolt the memory...........CJ
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Granny2-1.jpg

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  15:46:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The place you refer to where the credit union is now was Park-View. I can't remember the name of the family who owned it, but I remember their daughter from Morton having blond hair and that's all. They sold the place after she graduated (not right away) and moved to wherever. Maybe I'll scour the couple of yearbooks I have and get lucky...CJ
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Parkview.jpg

Edited by - seejay2 on 04/21/2007 15:58:40
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  15:51:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The football game that Linda mentioned, which Indiana lost to Michigan State of course, was in the fall of 1961. Some girl from Michigan State whom I recognized came down to the front row of the stands and asked if there was anyone in the IU Marching Hundred from Hammond. Forty five years after that, as a result of communications following the MHS class of 1960 reunion, Linda and I discovered that our ancestors six generations back were brothers, Samuel and Henry Haupt I believe.

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960

Edited by - wvcogs on 04/21/2007 15:53:35
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  16:45:26  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yup Ken and I are cousins from the Revolutionary War! I am helping him to become a SONS of the AMERICAN REVOLUTION.

The Bogan's had a place right there practically the foot of Black Oak Road. Judy was the Secretary of the 1961 class.She was a tall blonde. Her dad just passed at the end of last year. Her MOM ran the place. Mom is in a home in Ohio close to Judy. Judy has no children and since they are both retired they live part of the year in Nevis. Her house there has been featured in Archtectural Digest. They sail their boat out of Cedar Point, OH. She was one of the people who got an A in Mr Wauro's art class. She taught ART in Shaker Heights/Cleveland Heights and now part time at Kent State.

Edited by - svea3 on 04/21/2007 16:47:34
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  18:11:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few months ago I bought a DVD from Mid-America Heritage Foundation that includes old home movies from the 1950s and '60 of Hammond and Hessville. There is a short clip of the construction of Carney's Dairy Store and then a shot of the completed store on Orchard Drive (Black Oak Road). Does anyone remember this store? I very seldom made it out that way. The background music on the DVD is a Jan Gabriel WJOB show.

By the way, the art teacher, Mr. Wauro, became Mr. Waring sometime in the early 1960s -- same person, different name...

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  18:45:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Sir! The Carney family. Carl Carney went on to become a Hammond cop. I went to school with him. I also totalled out a Triumph Bonneville about a block east of there, not that it has any bearing but it sure helps me remember the place.......CJ

Edited by - seejay2 on 04/21/2007 18:48:44
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  19:33:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys and gals -- Here's what I hope is another space saving suggestion.

Please consider not including lengthy quotes from other members' posts in your new posts. Many times these quotes are even longer than your new information, and we generally know what you are referring to anyway. Thanks very much.

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  20:10:15  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sandy Kessler's dad was a cop. Cop Kessler's dad was the barber on Kennedy. Cop Kessler ran a TV repair shop next door to the barber shop. Dedelow's was two doors to the north.
Go to Top of Page

Pro2am

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  20:28:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Ken,

Oops - I did it again. :-)

The reason I include the quotes is so that readers will know which post I'm replying to. If you feel that this isn't ncessary then perhaps we can forego the process.

What do other posters have to say about this (to me personally the quotes are no problem)?

Mike Rapchak Jr.

----------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by wvcogs

Hey guys and gals -- Here's what I hope is another space saving suggestion.

Please consider not including lengthy quotes from other members' posts in your new posts. Many times these quotes are even longer than your new information, and we generally know what you are referring to anyway. Thanks very much.

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960

Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  20:49:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whatever -- Just thought we could save some space on Mr. Clavin's server.

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  20:49:41  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Has our gracious host, Mr. Clavin, communicated any need for our conserving of server space? I'm far from an expert on this stuff, but it is my understanding that text takes up very little memory, so including quotes from other posts in our replies should not be a problem.

I appreciate having this place to reminisce, and I will gladly cooperate, if we need to be so mindful of server space that we do not use the quote feature.

Posting a lot of pictures on a page will make the loading time extremely long for that page for those who have dial-up connections, so I can understand the need to limit the pictures. I'm not sure that refraining from the quoting of previous posts is really necessary, though. If it is, then I will comply.

Tom

A 1967 Graduate of Hammond High who cherishes his memories of growing up in the Hammond of the 1950's and 1960's. Bring back those days!
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  21:01:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re: Kessler—did Sandy have a sister named Judy? I'll bet she did--or a cousin. Judy was a 1958 graduate of Ye Ole' Morton High.

BTW--glad you two cousins found each other after years of being within shouting distance.

Re: the replying w/o quoting--is there a way to do that without having to login? Laziness is my excuse for that question. It is just easier to click on a symbol---and my goodness don't we need things to be easier in America? I don't really have a complaint about the copying of quotes being left out, and I haven't tried it, but a portion of a quote may be copiable (word?) and pasteable (no way that's a word).

Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  21:30:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SC -- Just go to the top or bottom of the page and click on "Reply to Topic."

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  22:54:39  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sandy had two brothers, Richard and Robert . I talked to Robert last year. He was a teacher in Wisconsin.[ Marge Burton Van Til connected us]

Sandy passed away before our reunion. Since her dad had all these tv boxes we made a huge house in her back yard in about 3rd-4th grade. They were all connected with furniture and stuff. It was like amaze. Then a big storm came and soggy boxes didn't last through it.. Patty Van Gorp,VirginiaRakos, Judy Bogan, Carol Popp, Sandy and I were the gang.

Judy was just our friend and that is the only Judy from Elementary days..

Edited by - svea3 on 04/21/2007 22:55:59
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  22:58:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which electric shop did cop Kessler run?.......CJ
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  23:16:53  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The one across from Atrim's Trucking on the West side of Kennedy.
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  23:47:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken, thanks---I guess I had a senior moment!

Linda, that box story reminds me our using an appliance box (refrig or stove) to play in the street after a big snow. We enjoyed that more than our sleds.

Where was Bocken's Funeral Home--wasn't it across from the Atrium Trucking?

Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  23:52:35  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They were both on the East side= one on the NE and the other on the SE corner. I lived on the westside of Kennedy. "Hub-Cap", the son, used to go to school with us.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  01:42:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

... I don't really have a complaint about the copying of quotes being left out, and I haven't tried it, but a portion of a quote may be copiable (word?) and pasteable (no way that's a word) ...
Why not choose Reply, then edit out parts of the original post that aren't directly relevant, as I have done here?

You should: (1) indicate omissions by ellipses (three dots) ... and (2) make sure that your editing hasn't changed the meaning. (That would be a problem on, for instance, political sites; I doubt if it will be much of a problem here.)

Bill

Warren G. Harding Class of '63
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  01:44:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was ARTIM'S trucking. In 3rd or 4th grade we went on a field trip there.

I searched the Hammond phone book, and there's no such firm anymore.

Bill

Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  07:51:21  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
In the white pages? I remember rather large family. I could do a search maybe when I get home from choir.church. Our choir has been invited to China for the Olympics 2008.
Go to Top of Page

emttt

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  10:44:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where from in Central Illinois? I go to Taylorville on business once in a while.

How far from Springfield are you? You could get a "taste" of the good old days by trying some Maid-Rite hamburgers or cheeseburgers.

Glad you have joined us. I'm sorry that you don't have all the wonderful memories that most of us "old timers" have, but you are welcome to help yourself to our memories and to take part in the discussions here.

Tom

[/quote]

I am from the Galesburg area originally, but now I live in Peoria. I am about 35-45 minutes from Springfield. We have a Maid-Rite here in Peoria, and we had one in Galesburg as well. However, I do not know if they are officially sanctioned.

Thanks to all for welcoming me.
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  12:11:08  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Get out the phone books, maybe. As I recall Artim is Greek and there was a Greek cemetery in 1903 in Hessville. Go to the Greek Orthodox Church in town.

THEN JULLIA Emma Marie Artim died 19 Jul1991 in Griffth she was married to a John Chappey. Chappey is dead and they had a daughter who married a fellow named Joseph Laisch., who died in 1994. NOW there should be some Laisch's around. I haven't checked public records for Northern Indiana.
To review Chappey,Laisch are the names to need to be found. There was also a Laisch female who married a NEAL
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  13:17:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Bucko

. . .Why not choose Reply, then edit out parts of the original post that aren't directly relevant, as I have done here?

Yes, Bill, thanks. And, since we are editing, shouldn't there be space between dots in ellipsis? I'm kidding! Artim is what I meant! I just had a little too much computer yesterday and too little sleep. I love it that this place (as yet) has no bickering. Thanks for the help.

Bill

[/quote]

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page