Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  17:43:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim found my Webshots.com page with the photos of the 45th reunion of the class of 1960. No problem. But, like CJ, I do suggest that we post the links instead of the images so those few who may have dialup can still enjoy the Forum. Ken...

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960

Edited by - wvcogs on 04/14/2007 17:43:41
Go to Top of Page

Pro2am

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  17:49:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom,

AS far as I know the Hessville boundaries are thus: north is technically the Grand Calumet River - though to us it seemed to be e/w 161st St. (about 1/2 mile south of the river) where the business and residential areas ended; east would be Cline Avenue; west is - I belive - the n/s Kankakee Line (former C&SI/NYC-MC/CR, now owned by Norfolk Southern) railroad tracks; south is the Little Calumet River, the boundary between Hessville and Highland - though to us back then e/w I80/94 (a/k/a the Borman Expressway) was, for all practical purposes, the southern border.

Hessville, though a part of Hammond, was to us a very unique area. It did feel and seem to be separate from the rest of Hammond. Each area of Hammond possessed its own particular personality/atmosphere. My two all-time favorite areas are Woodmar and Hessville. I spent major portions of my life growing up in both: Woodmar from 1954 to early 1962; Hessville from 1962 to 1974 (plus a return there from early 1977 to 1985 living in the Georgetown Homes townhouse complex on the southwest corner of the Cline Ave./169th St. intersection).

To me Hessville was the more enjoyable of the two towns. Woodmar's main business section is on Indianapolis Blvd. and seemed less hospitable back then (maybe the fact that we were pretty young and also discouraged by our parents from frequenting the Blvd. had something to do with this impression). OTOH the downtown Hessville area was much more intimate, "accessible" if you will, especially to teen/pre-teen age kids. All those delightful little stores with their merchandise that was geared toward kids made it feel more welcoming, custom-made for us (Woodmar was mostly grocery stores, hardware stores, furntiture stores, banks, etc. I don't recall a single little mom-&-pop type store in Woodmar). Also, the presence of the Ace-cum-Kennedy Theater helped. It was (is) small, and thus intimate, and featured Saturday-afternoon matinees geared mostly for us younger folk (lots of sci-fi/fantasy films shown; also a lot of the Hercules/gladiator-type films popular in the early-mid 1960s). IMO dowtown Hessville was in a class by itself. To this day I'm very grateful for the opportunity I had to spend several years growing up there. :)

Mike Rapchak Jr.

-------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Tom J

Question for you Hessvillites... did you guys go to Downtown Hammond much? Or, did you find pretty much all you needed right on Kennedy Avenue? Did you feel like you were really part of Hammond, or did you feel like Hessville was a a town of its own?

It seems to me that Hessville was a pretty cool little place from all you guys are talking about, and it makes me wonder how attached you guys really were to the rest of Hammond. Sounds to me like you could shop, eat, and go to the show without leaving Hessville.

What were the "official" boundaries of Hessville, or what were the generally accepted boundaries, if there were no official boundaries? Would Woodmar Shopping Center be considered part of Hessville?

I sure enjoy reading all of your posts about Hessville. I grew up not all that far from you guys, over on Woodward Avenue, which is off of 165th Street two blocks east of Calumet.

Tom

A 1967 Graduate of Hammond High who cherishes his memories of growing up in the Hammond of the 1950's and 1960's. Bring back those days!

Go to Top of Page

Pro2am

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  18:01:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This is serious BAD NEWS. I understand the reasons for the closing, but sure wish there was a way to keep it opened - or at least preserved. I'm thinking of writing to the Highland powers-that-be and requesting that Blue Top be inlcuded on a list of historic landmarks. Probably a waste of time since all that seems to matter anymore is the financial bottom line (like we really need another condo complex or mini mall or insurance offics or whatever some bozos will erect there).

This is a slice of genuine American history here. It shouldn't be allowed to disappear. What a shame.

Mike Rapchak Jr.

--------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by seejay2

quote:
Originally posted by Tom J

Blue Top closing??? NO! PLEASE, tell me it ain't so!!!!

One of the few bright bright spots in my recent trips to The Region after being away for many, many years was finding the good old Blue Top still operating. Now you tell me it's closing. That is AWFUL news.

Is there any hope that they will keep it open, or that some new owners might keep come along and keep it going?

Tom

A 1967 Graduate of Hammond High who cherishes his memories of growing up in the Hammond of the 1950's and 1960's. Bring back those days!

There were two articles just yesterday about it. I don't know how long these links will stay alive, so I would look at them rather quickly.

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2007/04/13/columnists/mark_kiesling/doc7a916acef26dd596862572bc00033407.txt

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2007/04/13/news/lake_county/doc016c5c9a2016fbfb862572bc000335df.txt

CJ

Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  18:04:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the photos on the archives Jim directed us to shows two men in the back of a pickup truck spraying for mosquitos. This was part of the local mosquito abatement program in Hammond in the 1950s. One of the participants was our biology teacher at Morton, Mr. Rasmussen. The product they were spraying was DDT that was outlawed shortly after that. Later he began teaching ecology as part of his program.

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960

Edited by - wvcogs on 04/14/2007 18:12:10
Go to Top of Page

Pro2am

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  18:07:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris,

LOL! I like your comments about Summer St. Ain't that a fact! IMO that has always been a kind of weird area (the stretch from Indianapolis Blvd. west to Columbia). Yet it definitely has its charm. Everything seems so old, so vintage (which most of it is). To paraphrase: its a neat/weird place to visit but I don't think I'd wanna live there. :-)

Mike Rapchak Jr.
-------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by seejay2

quote:
Originally posted by wvcogs

CJ... With that dissertation you have just elected yourself chairman of the Region Rats. That was very well stated.

Some of us really felt walled in by the railroad tracks to the west. Were those guys on the other side part of Hessville, or were they closer to Woodmar? I never could really figure that one out.

By the way, remember the time before Cline was an expressway and Kennedy Avenue was a thoroughfare for the guys driving to and from the mills and other industries in East Chicago?

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960

Not speaking officially as chairman, I really don't remember anybody pointing out any "hard" boundaries at the time, but it probably would be safe to say that we considered the Gibson area to be a territory of Hessville making Michigan St. (20) the North boundary;
Cline Ave the undisputed east boundary;
80-94 to the south;
and probably the tracks, you mention Ken, that ran alongside McCook to the west. That would make Summer St. "No Man's Land", but who wanted it anyway unless you wanted to cultivate yet another junkyard?....CJ

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  18:08:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has been a constant battle for Johnsen's with the deck stacked against them. In the beginning they were told that all they had to do was move the sign. The sign was the business! Those of us who kept track of the proceedings figured what would come next, they just plain wore them down. Oh Boy! Room for a new McDonalds!!...CJ
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  18:11:08  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
HOW ABOUT e-mailing Jeff Goldblatt of FOXNEWS? Get some good press.
Go to Top of Page

Pro2am

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  18:12:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,

Don't stop!! :-)

Mike Rapchak Jr.

---------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Jim

Just found a new source for Hessville photos. I'll keep uploading until you tell me to stop.

Go to Top of Page

Jim

46 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  18:59:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice. I was probably worried more about the site paying for the bandwidth than those with slower connections. Good point. Also, thanks to Ken for the Webshots photos. Their source was closer to this group that I would ever have imagined.

For those interested in the Hansen branch, check this link. The Hammond Public Library has a book with 4 technical drawings (blueprints) for the Hansen Branch published in 1931.

http://firstsearch.oclc.org/WebZ/FSFETCH?fetchtype=fullrecord:sessionid=fsapp11-52698-f0inkhyy-dswz:entitypagenum=3:0:recno=9:resultset=1:format=FI:next=html/record.html:bad=error/badfetch.html:entitytoprecno=9:entitycurrecno=9:numrecs=1

Edited by - Jim on 04/14/2007 19:03:30
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  19:18:16  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What will today's kids look back on with fondness?

Although so much of what we all look back upon is gone, we should be grateful for the memories. I would not take all the money in the world for the memories I have of my wonderful childhood.

I have to wonder if the young people of today are going to have anything to remember with anything close to the same passion that we have for those old stores, gas stations, restaurants, theaters, and drive-in movies? How can anyone look back in fond remembrance of a Walmart? Or, of a self-serve gas station? Or, a fast food restaurant?

Businesses today have no charm, no unique personality, no warmth. It's all about efficiency nowadays, isn't it? Everything is impersonal. We use the self-serve pump and pay for our gas by credit card at the pump. We shop at stores like Walmart, where we just help ourselves to the merchandise without the service of a store clerk, and we even use the automated check-outs, so that there is no contact with a cashier. We do the same when we stop for a few items at the grocery store. We shop and pay our bills via the Internet.

The way business was conducted in the days of our youth, we got to know the people who ran the businesses, and we got to know their employees. Things were done at the personal level. An attendant pumped your gas, and, if you were at your usual gas station, you probably knew his name and a little bit about his family. When you shopped for clothing, you dealt with the same store clerks, and you became friends with them. When you paid bills, you gave the money to a real person, and you would exchange pleasantries.

People, I would not exchange the time of my birth for any other time in history. Growing up in the 50's and 60's was as good as it ever got. Our music is still being played this very day. The cars of our youth are called "classics," and, like so much of our heritage, they had personality and charm. Life was so good in our day, wasn't it?

Tom

Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  23:05:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by svea3

SCJ:

Great to have a female amongst us. The"story" I heard was that there were 'Indians' living out on Black Oak Road! That was true maybe in the 1700's. hahaha

Linda

By Black Oak Road, do you mean 25th Ave. in Black Oak? No doubt about it, there probably were Indians out there. I doubt there were any cowboys in the region, though--just Indians and every other culture---And the Blue Top--Did most of you guys go there in the 60's? I left the area in 60--and that was after graduating in 58 and working for two years to get money for college. You guys were cruising the Drive Ins, no doubt!

Ken, I had run across you pics of the 1960 MHS reunion sometime ago--and was so exicited to find them, I emailed my family members who graduated Morton.

Grand Park Subdivision 1940-1961 Boondocks of Hessville!
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  00:21:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots of interesting photos in that archive:

http://library.calumet.purdue.edu/Archhtmlfin/photo_gallery_main/archives_photo_gallery_Main.htm

along with some not-so-interesting (for us). So far the pages with the most Hessville-related photos are on the SPECIAL COLLECTIONS pages:

http://library.calumet.purdue.edu/Archhtmlfin/spec_coll_photo_gallery/spec_coll_photo_gallery_p26.htm and pages 27 and 28 following it.

Another mislabelling -- the alleged photo of librarian Harriet Pinkerton is not of her.

They have lots of photos of Indianapolis Blvd.

Check out Luchene's, 1959:
http://library.calumet.purdue.edu/Archhtmlfin/SC_Photos/scp_316.htm

This photo is labelled as Harding, circa 1957:
http://library.calumet.purdue.edu/Archhtmlfin/SC_Photos/scp_333.htm
but I doubt it; we had no fences bordering our grassy areas (except by the subdivision to the north); perhaps this is Lost Park?

This one shows the old A&P on Kennedy Ave.:
http://library.calumet.purdue.edu/Archhtmlfin/SC_Photos/scp_348.htm
I think that's a corner of the Pinbowl visible in the background; however, the date must be wrong, that A&P closed when the new A&P opened around 1957 or 58 on 165th and Alexander. Ditto for the next photo.

I've now looked at all photos in the Special Collections gallery.

====
People, when you post a link to a photo (instead of pasting the photo itself here) that does save the good Mr Clavin from having to pay for extra bandwidth as well as reduce his storage costs on his server.

Bill

Warren G. Harding Class of '63

Edited by - Bill Bucko on 04/15/2007 01:53:39
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  01:05:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Archive Photos contains mostly pictures of the Purdue Calumet campus.

I'm pretty sure that's 169th in the background of this one:
http://library.calumet.purdue.edu/Archhtmlfin/Photos/AP_78.htm
There was a small store nearby where you could buy wax vampire fangs (like the ones Miss Shields deplored), and candy in 2-part plastic containers shaped like a rocket, which (after rotting your teeth on the candy) you could fill with vinegar and baking soda (for obvious reasons, if you were a kid of my generation).

The later pages contain mostly weird architectural studies. But on page 18 there's a facade that looks a lot like Morton:
http://library.calumet.purdue.edu/Archhtmlfin/Photos/AP_220.htm

Bill

Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  01:49:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Purdue Calumet's third (and last) collection, the Digital Archives Photos, has only recent color pics of campus activities. Nothing nostalgic in there, for us.

Maybe they'll be nostalgic for someone, 40 years from now.

Bill

Go to Top of Page

Jim R

61 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  06:00:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jim

As promised:

Hansen Library, Martha St. and Alabama St., 1962

I was quite suprised when I saw this photo while browsing that archive. There are 4 kids from the 6700 / 6800 block of Idaho Ave. in it. Myself, my younger brother John, Linda M., and Cathy G.

Harding Class of '67
Morton Class of '72
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  08:32:59  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Bucko

Purdue Calumet's third (and last) collection, the Digital Archives Photos, has only recent color pics of campus activities. Nothing nostalgic in there, for us.

Maybe they'll be nostalgic for someone, 40 years from now.

Bill

I went to Purdue Calumet for my first year of college. I attended school there for the fall semester of 1967 and the spring semester of 1968.

I had not been back to the Purdue Calumet campus since the early 70's until a few months ago. Man! Talk about growth!

The ONLY building they had when I went to school there was the Gyte Building. Well, there might have been another building that was attached to the Gyte Building, which made it seem like there was only one building.

Now there are fourteen buildings! It absolutely blew my mind to see how much PUCC has grown. I was very happy to see that. I guess sometimes things DO change for the better.

Tom

Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  09:33:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have four albums on my Webshots.com site that you may be interested in viewing. The first is a series of twenty some images that I scanned from a 1966 Hammond Chamber of Commerce publication. Then there are two albums related to the 45th year reunion of the Morton class of 1960. It could be that you know some of those folks and would like to see what they look like today. See how two of your teachers, Mr. George Nelson and Mr. Donald Woolls, look today. (Two members of this Forum also are pictured.) The fourth album has four images of the demolition of the Woodmar Mall, or shopping center as we knew it back in the 1950s. My Webshots address is: http://community.webshots.com/user/hurricanewv .

Another user has posted three albums that also could be of interest those who no longer live in the Hammond area. One album, Hammond, Indiana - Yesterday, includes many of the same images that are in my 1966 album. Then he has an album with Hammond - These Days. Finally, there is an album with many more pictures of the Woodmar Mall in its final days. His Webshots address is: http://community.webshots.com/user/ajschicubs85 .

PLEASE REMEMBER TO POST LINKS INSTEAD OF THE PHOTOS. THANKS

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960

Edited by - wvcogs on 04/15/2007 10:42:07
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  10:28:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill -- The picture of the school in the Purdue archives in not Morton and it is not Edison; but it had to be designed by the same architect. Morton and Edison were built from the same plans with just a few variations. Edison did have more rooms; that's why Morton had to build on to the two sides when it became a four year high school. Edison had a "snowflake" medallion above the front door very similar to the ones in the Purdue photo, but it had only one. The two schools were constructed at the same time and both were demolished in 1991.

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  11:31:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill-You are right. The pic in NOT Harding, it is in fact Lost Park......CJ
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  11:59:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to be picky, but here goes:
Picture number SCP 336 is labeled "Woodmar area, northeast corner of Indianapolis Blvd. and 169th St., 1952." That sure looks like a '56 Chevy behind the utility pole to me.

http://library.calumet.purdue.edu/Archhtmlfin/SC_Photos/SCP_336.jpg

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960

Edited by - wvcogs on 04/15/2007 12:01:06
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  12:38:01  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Picture number SCP 336 is labeled "Woodmar area, northeast corner of Indianapolis Blvd. and 169th St., 1952." That sure looks like a '56 Chevy behind the utility pole to me.

Ken...
Former Hessvillite

Morton Graduate 1960

Sure looks like a 56 Chevy to me, too.

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  12:39:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to BE picky, I think these pix were labeled by the kids that Tom J was talking about on page 21, or the numbers were simply drawn out of a hat. Too many mistakes or indifference. There is absolutely no way someone from that era is going to confuse a 56 Chevy with anything else...CJ

Edited by - seejay2 on 04/15/2007 12:49:35
Go to Top of Page

Jim

46 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  12:41:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A search of the Calumet Library website returned an additional 61 photographs of Hessville in the Special Photo Archives. However, it appears that they are not yet(?) available online. Anyone who is really curious about these could probably give them a call for details on obtaining them.

A direct link to the search results times out so is not useful here. Instead use the following link to the search page. Then enter "Hessville". Many more are available for Woodmar.

https://pulse.lib.purdue.edu/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?DB=local&PAGE=sbSearch

Edited by - Jim on 04/15/2007 20:19:26
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  09:37:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

By Black Oak Road, do you mean 25th Ave. in Black Oak?

S C -- What is now Orchard Drive in Hessville originally was Black Oak Road before Cline Avenue became a limited access highway. Black Oak Road began at Kennedy Avenue at Hessville Park and ran diagonally southeast across Cline Avenue to 29th Street near Colfax.

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960

Edited by - wvcogs on 04/16/2007 09:39:05
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  13:18:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, yeah. I remember that--173rd veered off onto Orchard Drive and became 25th Avenue, if I am not mistaken--and into "downtown" Black Oak which was the corner of 25th and Colfax.

BTW—Our neighborhood kids never went to Hessville Park for winter sports, we had an area off 173rd and Grand that froze and made our hockey/skating rink! The guys used old brooms as their hockey sticks and probably my Dad's Copenhagen snuff cans as the puck.

Do any of your remember the name Eddie Chick? His family lived in the no-man's land area over the Nickel Plate RR tracks off of Grand Ave. between 173rd and Black Oak Road.

How about Stanley Mize? His family lived on 173rd 1st or 2nd house past Maryland/Missouri Avenue. I think Stan became a millionaire with a tire store and real estate/building investments in the Highland area, maybe.

Anybody remember Bobby Keefer, Terry Zako, Donald Butler, Joan Poole, Don Poole, Carmen Moska, Jean Aumiller?

Edited by - S C Jones on 04/16/2007 13:29:34
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  17:29:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember Stan Mize. Some of us just are in the wrong business.

Take a look at Google maps. You will see a section of the road east of Cline Avenue still called Black Oak Road.

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  19:28:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all!
This is a little off topic, but I need a little help with something. This is an issue dealing with old Indiana license plates between 1950 and 1963. Until 1950, the plates consisted of only numbers. That year the state began coding the county in which the vehicle was registered with two-letter prefix. Letters went from "AA" to "AY" used for Marion County to "ZX" to ZZ" used for Miami County. In 1963, the first plates were issued with the numeric prefix system alphabetically by county.
What I am looking for is anybody out there who may have an old photo laying around that clearly shows at least the two letter coding, and you know where the car was registered. I think the "C" series was Lake county. I'm just trying to confirm some plate numbers I have. I have tried contacting the BMV in the past about older plates, and the lovlies there have only told me that their records don't go back that far (yeah, I know).............CJ

Edited by - seejay2 on 04/16/2007 19:30:17
Go to Top of Page

Jim R

61 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  20:03:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seejay2, her is a list taken from part of my dads collection of plates. Each year, as he got his new plates, he screwed the old one to the wall of the garage. I took them down and saved them when I cleaned out the house after his death. All plate numbers listed are for his car registered in hammond.

1961 - CG6803
1962 - CG6803
1963 - 45Z1746
1964 - 45V3836
1965 - 45X8885
1966 - 45Y3678
1967 - 45Y3790
1968 - 45W4543
1969 - 45Y7445
1970 - 45Y332
1970 - 45Y7100

Hope this gives you what your looking for.

Harding Class of '67
Morton Class of '72
Go to Top of Page

Jim R

61 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  20:10:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For expert help, check out this forum, you have to join to see the forum, but it's free.

http://www.plateshed.com/

Harding Class of '67
Morton Class of '72
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  20:11:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Jim! You have no idea how much this is helping.....CJ
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  20:44:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, do you belong to that Plateshed thing? I have been trying to register and I keep getting denied. I have tried 2 different usernames and have gone through the validation thing about 6 times now with no luck. Tried contacting the administraters with no reply.........CJ
Go to Top of Page

Jim R

61 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  21:50:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I totally misunderstood what you were asking for. I thought you wanted the numbers after 1963. Here's what I have prior to what I posted.

1957 - CJ8916
1958 - CH 3763
1959 - CG967
1960 - CG6803

Yes, I am a member of that forum, but I'm not an active member, I have never posted there. I joined to try to find out the value of a 1957 Washington DC plate that I have.

Harding Class of '67
Morton Class of '72
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  10:17:11  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
TO:SC JONES

I remember those people. Don never married and is a Mormon. I have an 8 B1 Homeroom picture with Ken's wife in the front row. I just have to figure out how to scan it and send it!

I just was called yesterday by Marge Burton VanTil. Remember VanTil's market on Indianapolis Blvd, I think.

Linda OLPM only grad
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  10:18:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
5 Gold stars for you, Jim! This is, in fact, what I was really after, before 63. I finally got the green light last night from an administrator to use the Plateshed site. I've got a little research to do......CJ
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  16:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The leg of the Borman including the intersection of I80/94 & Kennedy Ave was completed in 1958. The area we knew as Optimist Park, just southwest of the Borman, was dug out and the earth removed from it was used to build up the entrance and exit ramps of said intersection. Does anybody know or have pictures of what the Optimist Park area looked like then, pre-1958?......CJ

Edited by - seejay2 on 04/17/2007 16:38:09
Go to Top of Page

Pro2am

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  17:07:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken,

You are correct about the '56 Chevy. My conclusion is tha these Indianapolis Blvd. photos were taken in late 1959.

For some reason I can't copy-paste the links/photos to this reply, so I'll have to give the code name/number for two of the photos along with a couple of comments. In photo SCP 331 - Indpls. Blvd. looking north - there are ceratin vehicles that date the picture: a 1957 Chevy parked at the curb, a 1958 Dodge station wagon, and a 1958 or '59 Thunderbird behind it.

Also, in photo SCP 329 - Indpls. Blvd. looking south - a part of the old Serenade drive-in restaurant is visible at the far right. The car parked behind the phone booth is 1959 vintage; either a Chevy, Pontiac, or Buick.

I say late 1959 because of the Christmas decoration visible on the telephone pole in SCP 336. I assume that these photos were all taken on the same day by the same person.

Mike Rapchak Jr.
Hammond

quote:

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960

Go to Top of Page

Pro2am

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  17:11:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Correction,

SCP 331 was taken during warm weather - perhaps the Spring or Summer of 1959.

Mike Rapchak Jr.

-------------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Pro2am

Ken,

You are correct about the '56 Chevy. My conclusion is tha these Indianapolis Blvd. photos were taken in late 1959.

For some reason I can't copy-paste the links/photos to this reply, so I'll have to give the code name/number for two of the photos along with a couple of comments. In photo SCP 331 - Indpls. Blvd. looking north - there are ceratin vehicles that date the picture: a 1957 Chevy parked at the curb, a 1958 Dodge station wagon, and a 1958 or '59 Thunderbird behind it.

Also, in photo SCP 329 - Indpls. Blvd. looking south - a part of the old Serenade drive-in restaurant is visible at the far right. The car parked behind the phone booth is 1959 vintage; either a Chevy, Pontiac, or Buick.

I say late 1959 because of the Christmas decoration visible on the telephone pole in SCP 336. I assume that these photos were all taken on the same day by the same person.

Mike Rapchak Jr.
Hammond

quote:

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960

Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  17:44:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

TO:SC JONES

I remember those people. Don never married and is a Mormon. I have an 8 B1 Homeroom picture with Ken's wife in the front row. I just have to figure out how to scan it and send it!

I just was called yesterday by Marge Burton VanTil. Remember VanTil's market on Indianapolis Blvd, I think.

Linda OLPM only grad

Yes, Linda,

I remember VanTil's. I would love to see the 8B-1 I have a copy of a class that has Stan Mize and Diane Kuschel in it. Stan is in the back row and Diane is in the front row to the right. Is that the pic you have? I downloaded it from the sight Ken has his pics of Morton and the 1960 class reunion. I will look it up and see if it was 8B-1 homeroom.

Another name you might know, John Meade.

[purple]Grand Park Subdivision 1940-1961 Boondocks of Hessville![purple]
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  19:37:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a link to the class S C mentioned. It is an 8A class from the 1954-55 school year. John McCann posted it to his Webshots.com site. I copied it and put it here for convenience.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/wvcogs72/MortonJrHi1955.jpg

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  13:18:09  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
SC:

I just sent the pix to Ken. I will post it when my son comes home from class. Yes, Stan is there.
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  13:28:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the link to the Morton 8B1 class photo in March 1956 that svea3 mentioned.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/wvcogs72/8B1.jpg

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  22:42:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Ken and Linda--

I recognize Don Poole in the back row and Bonnie, I think,-the girl on the far right in the first row- (can't remember the last name) who were both from Grand Park.

quote:

Here is the link to the Morton 8B1 class photo in March 1956 that svea3 mentioned.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/wvcogs72/8B1.jpg

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960

Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  09:52:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Friends,
Here are some photographs that will bring back pleasant memories to many of you who grew up in the Hammond/Hessville area. The photographs are from the Purdue Calumet archives courtesy of the very nice archives librarian. Enjoy.

Here is the original McDonald's restaurant at the corner of 175th Street and Indianapolis Blvd. I remember fifteen cent hamburgers. Do you?
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/wvcogs72/Archives/McDonalds175thandIndianapolisSCP418.jpg

And now, the Fat Boy Drive In on Indianapolis Blvd.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/wvcogs72/Archives/FatBoyDriveInnSCP371.jpg

Here is beautiful downtown Hessville.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/wvcogs72/Archives/HessvilleBusinessDistrict-Marthaand.jpg

And, the cream of the crop, an interior shop of the Hansen Branch!!! I believe one of the girls in the photos is now my wife.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/wvcogs72/Archives/HansenBranchLibrarySCP461.jpg

Just a note that I have been asked to pass on by the librarian, "Any professional use of our photos requires the user to document the use and give the department credit for the use of the image."

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  13:03:10  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I especiallly love the MickeyD's where I first got my 15 cent burger!

Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  14:52:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken,
Once again, outstanding! Do you know the dates of the photos? Is i58 at the beginning of each indicating 1958? I had an older boyfriend when I was 16, and a junior at Morton. He, Louis Yakos (had been in America for 5 yrs--was 20 yrs old, was working to become Mr. Indiana, had a '55 Chevy coupe, maroon and white. He would pick me up at lunch from school and we'd go to the Fat Boy! Most of the time we took several other of my girlfriends with us.

MacDonalds! I read somewhere ours was the first MickeyD's West of the Mississippi--don't know if that is true. I drove my Dad's 1954 no frills Ford to MacDonalds in 1956 on Sunday evenings after church with a boat load of friends. I had no license and was not supposed to go anywhere but church and home--Real rebel, huh?

What was the occasion for the crowd--more people than I ever remember seeing in downtown Hessville. Was it for the shows at the Ace? The guy walking most close to the camera, under the Janc's sign looks like Karl Loshe who was in my graduating class.

Thanks for the memories!

Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  19:24:49  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
YES, that is ...Karl Lohse, one of my many cousins.
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  19:41:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have the exact dates since the dates on the archives are not reliable. For example, the date on the McDonald's picture is 1951; but Ray Kroc did not open his first one in Des Plaines, Illinois until 1955. My guess is that this McDonald's photo was taken in 1956. The Fat Boy probably was at the same time.

The date on the downtown Hessville photo is listed as 1961. I don't believe that. It is more like 1956 or '57. The crowd looks like a political gathering more than anything else. It's interesting about the movies. Anchors Aweigh was made in 1945 with Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelly. Two movies named High Society were made in the 1950s. One, a comedy with the Bowery Boys (remember them?), was made in 1955. Another, a musical with Frank Sinatra and Grace Kelly, was made in 1956. My guess is that this was the Bowery Boys movie since it was listed as the second feature. Although, since the marquee says F Sinatra and G Kelly, it could be the musical. I wasn't there, were you? It's interesting to speculate.

For the Hansen Branch photo the date is listed as 1961. I'm not sure about that. Your guess is as good as mine.

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960

Edited by - wvcogs on 04/20/2007 08:03:00
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  20:12:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I sent this pic to my mother and she said that she remembered a Lohse (pronounced it low-see) from E. Chicago, but did not have a first name........CJ
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  21:07:08  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
East Chicago was not that far away. My Great Uncle , a grad from Valpo, was Treasurer there in 1905

All the Lohse's in the entire area came from my Great great Grandfather Friederich August Heinrich [FAH]Lohse and his first wife Johanne Menche from Altenburg, Saxony[Germany]who came here in the 1840's. Karl was my second cousin as his father and my father were first cousins.
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  00:31:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow--the idea of six degrees of separation comes to mind

quote:

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page