Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  15:35:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something had exploded in the building in the middle of the night. I don't remember ever hearing exactly what it was, but with all that gas ovens and what-not I can only guess. I lived only a block and a half from there, on Arizona Ave. and we saw all four walls had separated but had not blown apart completely or collapsed. It was razed very shortly thereafter. I miss that place. I haven't had a pie even remotely close to what those were.

Tom: I think my mother had said something about it being on Kennedy at one time................CJ

Edited by - seejay2 on 01/30/2007 15:50:09
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  02:11:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sigh ... I wasn't even sure what pizza was, back in those days (it was never served in my backward family). Sorry to hear about the building blowing up.

As far as the Hessville map ... my reason for making it was to bring back memories of walking the girl I love down Kennedy Avenue, in 1964-65. I really don't have time to update it. BUT any or all of you are more than welcome to download it, add to it, change it, customize it, personalize it! Have fun !! (I created it in Microsoft Paint, piecing together downloads from Mapquest of their most detailed street maps, and then enlarging to 200%. The only thing we can't do is make any commercial use of it, since the underlying streets are property of Mapquest.)

Warren G. Harding Class of '63
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  10:16:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Deedee
My dad worked for IHB out of Gibson as well. We used to go to Upper Penninsula and Northern Wisconsin (where he and his side of the family is from). When the kids found out we were from "da region", it was like we had come from some other planet. All of a sudden everyone wanted to be our friend...........CJ

Edited by - seejay2 on 01/31/2007 10:17:41
Go to Top of Page

DEEDEE

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  02:56:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey there all, I just finished viewing the Hessville map. Great Work. Some of the places were before my time but there's quite a few that I do remember. Buy the way, Chuck and Irene's Tap was (and still is) located at 6110 Kennedy (very North end). Also, near the corner of 162st and Kennedy Ave. was Tommy Angelos, "Idle Hour". I read in the paper, not too long ago, that Tommy passed away.
My father knew Tommy. My mother worked as a cook for Chuck and Irenes for years.Chuck and Irene have both passed away. I don't know when the businesses started up at those locations but they were there when I lived in the neighborhood. They also put up a Big (UGLY) do it yourself Car Wash in the 6100 block of Kennedy (East side of Kennedy)somewhere around the mid to late 60's. i wish I could remember more. Old age, the memories are fading fast.

From Hammond & Hessville
Now..."the Boonies"
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  13:21:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Quarter Car Wash!!! I remember how we grumbled because we couldn't quite get the job done for 25 cents. You had to cough up another quarter. What does a thing like that cost now? More than 50 cents! Down the block across from Linde's is that cluster of businesses that seem to change hands every week. The only one I really remember from the 60s era was J&J Neon. It was the one furthest south. My brother still works at Linde's and he is going to write down what he remembers there. Across the lot from J&J was Gardner's Standard. "Escalade" or something like that is there now. A little further down I remember Tommy Norge Cleaners. Keep going---Porter's Tap (all ages welcome). Down by the VFW where the cannon stood (is it still there?)was a shoe repair guy. Mitroka or something like that. Calumet Nat. Bank---before the parking lot (or maybe even the Bank itself) was a weed field with a huge billboard in it. Across the street was Ken's Barber Shop (remember that guy?).

Here's where I get personal. South of that, just north of Dairy Queen stood a huge white house (there is a muffler business there now). It was cut up into apartments. I lived in one of those for a little while. All utilities (except phone & elec)with a garage to park in for $90 a month.
Across the street again was Moffett School of Dance, Steve's Dry Goods then Loomis. Cross the street (look both ways first). There was a big weed patch there. We used to catch every type of bug created in jars there, then it became an in-ground trampoline center. I think now it's a used car dealer. Next to that is a building that I can think of four businesses in:
Adam's (candy & comic books-10 cents then). This was in the 50s.
Wachala School of Music
Zaranka Optometrist
Ramian's Insurance
Skip to the 6800 block (5&10 Store block). All the way down by the track was the (UGH) Bluebird Tap. What a dive!
Here is an honorable mention: On the corner of 169th & Arizona stood a little oil, gas & candy store business named Shipman's (little gas station now). They were there when the steam engines used to shoot across the tracks there. My dad,an IHB engineer, used to call those things "hot water jobs".
Now for the $64,000 question:
Somewhere in the 6800 block of Kennedy, probably on the east side, there was supposed to be a place named "The Soda Pump". I'm reaching back to the 40s-early 50s era. I never knew the place. Is anybody, or your parents familiar with it? I need to get any info I can on it.
I'm tired now, I must go sit.....................CJ

Edited by - seejay2 on 02/04/2007 13:24:21
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  15:22:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ - Thanks for bringing back some more memories.
Tommy's Norge Cleaners was operated by a brave fellow with cerebral palsy who traveled around town on his adult size tricycle. Until 1960 when I left for college (and didn't return until 1968) he attended the same church I did in Hessville.
Ken's Barber Shop is where I got haircuts for a couple years after my family moved from 165th Street. We lived in the house on the northeast corner of 167th and Marshall, just behind Del's DQ. When we lived on 165th, I went to the small barber shop that was in the rear of the building where Dick's Grocery and Flick's were located. That shop's front was on 165th.
The trampoline center on the corner of 167th and Kennedy was owned by the same person who owned Hessville Department Store. I believe it was the second one in the area. The first was at the south end of the Woodmar Shopping Center.
Henry Wachala's School of Music was mainly for teaching kids to play the accordion. My wife took lessons there in the early 1950s. She can still do a pretty good job playing the accordion whenever her arthritis lets her.
Thanks again CJ. Ken...

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  16:31:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken,
I used to see Tommy all the time. Did you know the Kras family? They lived across the street from you and to the north, right across from that big warehouse there. There were two houses on that lot.............CJ

Edited by - seejay2 on 02/04/2007 16:34:08
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  10:19:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't remember the Kras family. The only person I remember on that side of Marshall was a lady who worked as a seamstress and did alterations for the Department Store. One of my 1960 classmates, Ed Johnston, lived on the east side of the street in the third house south of Vine St. I believe Ed had a younger brother.

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  02:05:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Deedee and CJ, thanks very much! I had totally forgotten Chuck and Irene's, the Moffett School of Dance, and the Wachala School of Music! How amazing, to be reminded after not thinking of them for more than 40 years!

Bill
Morton HS Class of '66

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  13:33:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't crossed the street to the other side of 169th yet.
Go to Top of Page

DEEDEE

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  09:18:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ, Your father was an engineer on the IHB? My father was also.
He passed away in 78 just a few years before retiring. I grew up in Hessville and I can't remember that many businesses on Kennedy. Thanks for the List (keep it going). It's just sad, after spending well over ten years running up and down Kennedy Avenue, I can't remember. I love that all of you are bringing it back. I spent many days at the Norge until we finally talked dad into buying a washer and dryer. Tommy was a very nice guy.
I remember spending summer days walking from one end of Kennedy Avenue to the other to go to Hessville Pool. In my teens, we would walk to the Armory on 173rd Street where Bands would play. We had a great time dancing. I wonder if they still do.

From Hammond & Hessville
Now..."the Boonies"
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  10:47:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
... and, how about those of us who walked blocks from one end of Hessville to the other in the winter to ice skate at the outside rink in Hessville Park? Skate a while then warm up by the fire in the park shelter -- then skate some more. Of course, there was the member of this forum who had to walk all the way from the other side of Kennedy Avenue to get to the park.

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  14:37:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...and how about those of us who just had to see how close we could get to the thin ice to inevitably fall through. This was, of course, on the day when the warming shelter was not open and now you get to walk home 5 or 6 blocks with skates frozen to your feet. After you got home your family informed you that you were adopted because nobody with blood ties to this family could be brutally stupid enough to do what you just did.
Go to Top of Page

eyebab

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  15:22:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't believe I found this site!!! I am a '57 graduate of Hammond Morton(used to cut class and go over to the Hitching Post) and attended Porter, Harding, and Morton grade schools at one time or another as my family moved around. I, too, Lived on Cleveland Street in a duplex, but can't remember the st.number. Also lived on Osborne, 169th, and Marshall.

My Mother was co-owner of the Chic Beauty Salon on Kennedy Ave. next to the Ace Theater(and an Optometrist office. Fifield's was the other Drug Store down from Janc. Emil Janc was my Godfather. A&P grocery was across the street. Also on Kennedy was Luchene's sporting goods and record shop. Down by Hessville Park was the Artim Truck Co.

I remember when the Sip and Bite was called the White Swan.

I know this is a disjointed missive, but perhaps I can be more specific as I read everyone's posts and get a feel for navigating this site.

Best to all the Hessvillians.

jerry babitz
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  20:30:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Jerry. It's great to hear from another Governor. Welcome aboard.

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  23:05:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eyebab
My Mother was co-owner of the Chic Beauty Salon on Kennedy Ave. next to the Ace Theater(and an Optometrist office. Fifield's was the other Drug Store down from Janc. Emil Janc was my Godfather. A&P grocery was across the street. Also on Kennedy was Luchene's sporting goods and record shop. Down by Hessville Park was the Artim Truck Co.
Welcome! Please don't miss our map of Hessville -- it includes many of the places you mention!

Thanks for naming A&P. I remember going to that grocery store, when very young, but couldn't remember the name. Around 1957 or 1958 it closed when A&P opened their larger, brand new store on 165th and Alexander.

Bill

Go to Top of Page

eyebab

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  13:06:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the 50's I remember 2 stores on the west side of Kennedy, down by Morton, called "The Emporium" and "Whitakers." Whitakers was a small grocery run by two old maid sisters while the Emporium was a small variety shop where I remember buying 33 stamps for 99 cents. Also remember a hardware store right off the SW corner of Kennedy and 169th. Down from there was a plumbing Co.where the Dedelow(oldest son became mayor of Hammond)family lived upstairs.

Used to take a bus to downtown Hammond and get off at Woolworths and head over to Goldblatts and go down in the basement and get two steamed hot dogs(buns steamed too) and a coke...all for a quarter. Upstairs on the 2nd floor they had a shoe repair where you would sit in an open booth in your stocking feet while your shoes were resoled.

Also on State Street there was a place which sold 78 rpm records and they had booths with phonographs where you could listen to the latest record before buying(or more likely for me,just listen to your favorite record without buying.)

One subject I haven't seen broached is teachers. At Morton High Albert Clark was the principle. 9th hour dicipinarian was named Ruff and he taught Latin. Miss Virden taught English. Mr. Flansburg taught algebra. Maury Zlotnik was the football coach. Other names: Chidester, Hand, Groves, Melton.

Hammond and esp. Hessville in the late 40's and 50's was a perfect place for growing up. I know change always comes and you can't live in the past, but I sure cherish those childhood memories.

jerry
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  15:07:29  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

In the 50's I remember 2 stores on the west side of Kennedy, down by Morton, called "The Emporium" and "Whitakers." Whitakers was a small grocery run by two old maid sisters while the Emporium was a small variety shop where I remember buying 33 stamps for 99 cents. Also remember a hardware store right off the SW corner of Kennedy and 169th. Down from there was a plumbing Co.where the Dedelow(oldest son became mayor of Hammond)family lived upstairs.

Used to take a bus to downtown Hammond and get off at Woolworths and head over to Goldblatts and go down in the basement and get two steamed hot dogs(buns steamed too) and a coke...all for a quarter. Upstairs on the 2nd floor they had a shoe repair where you would sit in an open booth in your stocking feet while your shoes were resoled.

Also on State Street there was a place which sold 78 rpm records and they had booths with phonographs where you could listen to the latest record before buying(or more likely for me,just listen to your favorite record without buying.)

One subject I haven't seen broached is teachers. At Morton High Albert Clark was the principle. 9th hour dicipinarian was named Ruff and he taught Latin. Miss Virden taught English. Mr. Flansburg taught algebra. Maury Zlotnik was the football coach. Other names: Chidester, Hand, Groves, Melton.

Hammond and esp. Hessville in the late 40's and 50's was a perfect place for growing up. I know change always comes and you can't live in the past, but I sure cherish those childhood memories.

jerry

Jerry:

My era was more the decades of the 50's and 60's, since I was born in 1949, but I agree that they were wonderful times and that Hammond was a fantastic place to grow up back then.

I was not from the Hessville section of Hammond, but I was not far from that area. I grew up on Woodward Avenue, which is only one block long and runs parallel to Calumet Avenue and two blocks east of it, from 165th Street on the southern end to Cleveland Street on the northern end.

The store on State Street that let you listen to records was Milliken's and was across the street from Minas's.

We sure had one great little downtown, didn't we? I've got an essay in here somewhere about Downtown Hammond that you might enjoy reading.

Tom

A 1967 Graduate of Hammond High who cherishes his memories of growing up in the Hammond of the 1950's and 1960's. Bring back those days!
Go to Top of Page

Jim

46 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  20:35:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just found this site and thought some of you might like this picture from Harding - Miss Fenoglio's 1st Grade class in 1954.

The boy on the right, 3rd row from the bottom is Stanley Jablonski. For years he had a fruit stand in the empty lot on the SW corner of 165th and Kennedy Ave. He was right across the street from the National Tea Co. Many of the stores patrons put their groceries into their cars and then walked or drove across the street to buy his tomatoes. He gave National a run for their money, selling better tomatoes for $0.10 a pound vs their $0.20! His customers did not mind that he didn't give S&H green stamps! I heard he put himself through medical school with the profits.

Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  08:03:38  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
REAL Cute I have a lot of these from Morton. We had class pix until 8th grade.

Linda '60 O.P.MHS
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  10:49:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jerry,
I graduated Morton in 67, but you are tossing some names out there that were still around in 67: Mae Virden (I watched her grab some guy twice her size by the ear and lead him out of a study hall for some infraction)Mr. Melton, Chidester and Coach Zlotnik who just passed not too long ago.
This is somewhat important to me. Do you remember a place across the street and a little north of Sip & Bite called the "Ye Old Sugar Bowl Restaurant". It would have been there in 1950. Can you recall anything at all of this place? Maybe your parents?
Here is another: North of there, on the 6400 block of Kennedy used to be another place called "Soda Pump" or "Rainbow". This would have been in 50, as well. It was a little north of Dick's Grocery that everyone called Pop's. Hessville Cleaners was or still is in the other half of the building.
If you can remember anything at all of these places, please reply and I will explain in more detail.
Thanks alot, Jerry, and have fun with the site; I sure have
CJ

Edited by - seejay2 on 03/29/2007 19:22:46
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  11:21:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know how long the National Tea Co. store on the corner of 165th and Kennedy lasted. My guess is that it wasn't there too long after A & P opened the larger store just a couple blocks west on 165th.

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960

Edited by - wvcogs on 03/29/2007 11:21:53
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  12:41:41  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Was Hessville Cleaners related to Hopman Cleaners? Fred Hopman owned that. Hopman's daugher was one of the female chemical engineers graduated from Purdue. They lived in Woodmar... Knickerbocker. I believe. Tommy became a forest ranger.

Linda '60 OPMHS
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  15:55:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's an interesting find that some of you may enjoy -- The Wachala Accordion Band!!! I just found this in some old stuff we brought back from my mother-in-law's home in Hessville when she passed away years ago. My guess is that it appeared in the Hessvillite in either June of 1953 or 1954. My wife is in the picture, but doesn't remember just how long she took lessons from Mr. Wachala.

Notice the 48 star flag on the wall in the background.

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960

Edited by - wvcogs on 03/29/2007 16:03:59
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  18:06:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are a few more things.

The hardware store Jerry mentioned just off 169th and Kennedy was Glombeck's at 6910 Kennedy Avenue according to an ad in the 1958 Top Hat yearbook.

One of the teachers, band director John Melton, founded the Hot Springs (Arkansas) Concert Band when he retired sometime in the early 1980s I believe. Ray Narug who graduated from Morton in 1956 now lives in Hot Springs and plays in that band.

My class of 1960 had our 45th reunion at Tiebel's a couple years ago. Coach Zlotnik's daughter, Marianne, was the chair of our reunion committee.

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960

Edited by - wvcogs on 04/10/2007 12:50:37
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  18:20:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe the record store that Jerry referred to may have been Dildine's. Comay's in the Woodmar center used to let you listen to records, too. If you remember Glenda Benjamin from Morton who used to help Mr. Melton, she passed away about 7-8 years ago......CJ

Edited by - seejay2 on 03/29/2007 19:19:26
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  20:38:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that you've said the names, I remember both Dildine's and Comay's. I think Comay's was a jewelry store that sold records as a sideline. They used to give away red buttons with white lettering that said "I am Loved." It seemed like everyone was wearing those buttons. Comay's used to advertise on WJOB, the local Hammond radio station. Jan Gabriel was the DJ who had Dedication Line that was on at night and he would play the top 40. Is WJOB still operating. Even back in the 60's and 70's they were mostl a talk radio show, with Irv Lewin and some other locally popular talk guy during the day. As Jan would say "let's draw another 45!!"
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  21:47:51  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There was a record store on Kennedy, I thought.. Judy Bogan and I spent hours there.... I remember buying "Shaboom". I still have that old 45 in its cover.

Saundra LaFoon [ also '60] was an accordian player. She invited me to her recital.. I never saw so many accordians in my life
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  08:46:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's too bad about Glenda Benjamin. She would have been only about 70 years old now. She was a member of Morton's first graduating class in 1954, went to Butler University and returned to teach in the music department at Morton in the fall of 1958.

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  09:35:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by svea3

There was a record store on Kennedy, I thought.. Judy Bogan and I spent hours there.... I remember buying "Shaboom". I still have that old 45 in its cover.

Saundra LaFoon [ also '60] was an accordian player. She invited me to her recital.. I never saw so many accordians in my life

That would have been Luchene's. Part of one's weekly routine was to go there, get the WLS Silver Dollar Survey and then sift through the 45's.....CJ
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  12:09:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by duane

Now that you've said the names, I remember both Dildine's and Comay's. I think Comay's was a jewelry store that sold records as a sideline. They used to give away red buttons with white lettering that said "I am Loved." It seemed like everyone was wearing those buttons. Comay's used to advertise on WJOB, the local Hammond radio station. Jan Gabriel was the DJ who had Dedication Line that was on at night and he would play the top 40. Is WJOB still operating. Even back in the 60's and 70's they were mostl a talk radio show, with Irv Lewin and some other locally popular talk guy during the day. As Jan would say "let's draw another 45!!"

WJOB has been around since the beginning of time. It never was a "Juke Box", there are enough of those around. The only problem is that they have recently shifted the whole format from the "mom & pop" news, weather and talk to a couple of women talking female problems and such. I don't even bother turning it on anymore. It's a real shame. I listen to WBBM which is more into the news and things, but it is more Chicago oriented. It still beats WJOB though. If WJOB goes back to what it was, then I will faithfully tune in again.
HEAR THAT YOU GUYS???.........CJ

Edited by - seejay2 on 03/30/2007 12:10:59
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  14:58:48  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for telling me the name of the store. I lived in the 173rd land of Kennedy and only got there by visiting the library or on my way to "C" classes. Those I would walk with Karen Mueller to the Presbyterian Church.... now Covenant PC.

About the Films shown I remember seeing Frank Sinatra in heroine flick...GoldenArm?. I attended with Neal, my cousin,who was a blue baby. That condition is corrected now. He had a leaky heart valve and passed away when he was twelve.
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  15:53:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember a Peggy, with your last name, from Morton who would be younger than you. Any relation?.....CJ

Edited by - seejay2 on 03/30/2007 15:54:16
Go to Top of Page

eyebab

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  16:32:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seejay2---

I do remember a Sugar Bowl restaurant and I have been wracking my brain to come up with an image or specific memory of the place. It was north of Luchene's(oops, there was no Luchene's at that time) and Dr. Rampker's office(now there's another topic!). I can't remember eating there but I seem to remember that the entrance was to the left and that that there were huge windows so you could easily see inside. That is the only memory I could come up with on the list you had. My mother died two years ago, and how I wish she were here now to respond to this internet site.

There was also a Wolf's restaurant north of the Ace theater, but the real fun places to eat were the soda fountains in Fiefield's and Janc's. Used to love to buy a 1/4 lb. of cashews at Janc because they were hot.

In 1948 I got my first job delivering the Hesvillite. I was in 4th grade at Porter Elementary. I had 300 papers to deliver on Friday afternoon and nite. Sometimes I had to go back on Saturday morning to finish up. My pay was one cent for every two papers delivered. I felt like the richest boy in town.

Let's everyone keep posting, even if you feel no one would care about your memory. I think we all do care.

jerry

jerry babitz
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  17:36:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by seejay2
quote:
That would have been Luchene's. Part of one's weekly routine was to go there, get the WLS Silver Dollar Survey and then sift through the 45's.....CJ
As I mentioned on the Dick Biondi thread, I have 30 original WLS surveys (mostly 1962-1965) ... from "Wonderland by Night" through "Cherish" ... and I've made nice big scans of all of them. If you have a favorite song, artist, or date, just send me your address by Private Message, and I'll gladly e-mail it to you (or whatever I have that's closest) ... "Sealed with a Kiss", anyone? "Telstar"? "Go Away, Little Girl"? "Eight Days a Week"?

Bill

Edited by - Bill Bucko on 03/30/2007 17:48:27
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  18:16:12  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Johnson? or Harmon? We were related toTom Harmon who went to UM and his son Mark.MyUncle,Walter Harmon, was Treasurer in E Chicago in 1905. The Johnson's came in from Iowa. My grandmother Cecilia Harmon was a surgeon/medic in the Civil War. That side was direct from Sweden. I think our Swedish surname would have been Johansson, according to my Grandfather.

Dr Rampker.... My dad interviewed him to bring him to Hessville. He was a Korean War vet.You entered his office from the left. He gave me many a shot at my house. He was always concerned about me getting Scarlet Fever.

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  19:21:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Johnson? or Harmon? We were related toTom Harmon who went to UM and his son Mark.MyUncle,Walter Harmon, was Treasurer in E Chicago in 1905. The Johnson's came in from Iowa. My grandmother Cecilia Harmon was a surgeon/medic in the Civil War. That side was direct from Sweden. I think our Swedish surname would have been Johansson, according to my Grandfather.

Dr Rampker.... My dad interviewed him to bring him to Hessville. He was a Korean War vet.You entered his office from the left. He gave me many a shot at my house. He was always concerned about me getting Scarlet Fever.

Harmon. Is that Rampker or Ramker?

Edited by - seejay2 on 03/30/2007 19:22:22
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  20:06:52  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ramker
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  08:33:36  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I remember that Dr Ramker had had a severe case of acne. Such a pit scars , you also don't see, nowadays.
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  08:53:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Seejay2---

I do remember a Sugar Bowl restaurant and I have been wracking my brain to come up with an image or specific memory of the place. It was north of Luchene's(oops, there was no Luchene's at that time) and Dr. Rampker's office(now there's another topic!). I can't remember eating there but I seem to remember that the entrance was to the left and that that there were huge windows so you could easily see inside. That is the only memory I could come up with on the list you had. My mother died two years ago, and how I wish she were here now to respond to this internet site.

There was also a Wolf's restaurant north of the Ace theater, but the real fun places to eat were the soda fountains in Fiefield's and Janc's. Used to love to buy a 1/4 lb. of cashews at Janc because they were hot.

In 1948 I got my first job delivering the Hesvillite. I was in 4th grade at Porter Elementary. I had 300 papers to deliver on Friday afternoon and nite. Sometimes I had to go back on Saturday morning to finish up. My pay was one cent for every two papers delivered. I felt like the richest boy in town.

Let's everyone keep posting, even if you feel no one would care about your memory. I think we all do care.

jerry

jerry babitz

Oh my God, Jerry, I had forgotten all about the Hessvillite! Do you remember when that great local newspaper started? I'm sure someone has kept archives of it somewhere. Yes, a penny sure held a whole lot more worth then than is does now.......CJ
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  09:33:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ,
I have heard that Madge Sheline, the editor, publisher, writer, etc., gave copies of all editions of the Hessvillite to the Little Red Schoolhouse; but they did not have room for them so they sent them to the main library on State Street a few years back.

Ken...
Former Hessvillite
Morton Graduate 1960
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  09:42:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Seejay2---

jerry

jerry babitz

Here are a few photos, Jerry.
The first one would be at the 6431 Kennedy address, The Soda Shop in 1950 or I am told it may have been called Rainbow then with a neon sign depicting a rainbow.

This one I think may be inside of Sugar Bowl at 6813 Kennedy.Do you recognize any faces or places yet?

Here is another Sugar Bowl from a different angle.

Let me know if one reaches out and grabs you......CJ

Edited by - seejay2 on 03/31/2007 15:40:23
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  13:33:21  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Pix #2 girl on right is familiar,but no name yet.

I live now close to a town called Wyandotte,MI,which started at the same vintage of Hessville, Hammond. Not only that, but there is a section which has a refinery just like Whiting. We produce Marathon.
Go to Top of Page

j-g

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  21:44:55  Show Profile  Visit j-g's Homepage  Send j-g a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You Hessvillites-emeritus sure posted a lot since I last checked in!

A few Hammond items for you, and replies:

My 5th grader shares a class with Dr. Ramker's granddaughter, albeit it in south Hammond, not quite Hessville

Note to Tom J and other Hammond High '67 grads:
40th reunion coming up-- PM me or e-mail - Art Peschke wants to invite you.

Think Hammond!

กกก Jess กกก
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  06:23:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Pix #2 girl on right is familiar,but no name yet.

I live now close to a town called Wyandotte,MI,which started at the same vintage of Hessville, Hammond. Not only that, but there is a section which has a refinery just like Whiting. We produce Marathon.

The girl on the rightwas ID'd as Violette Lipke from somewhere in Hessville.....CJ

Edited by - seejay2 on 04/01/2007 06:24:14
Go to Top of Page

eyebab

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  08:14:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone remember the shoe department at Goldblatts when they had an x-ray machine? It was a contraption where you stuck your feet in and looked in a viewing box and you could actually see the bones of your feet and how well your shoe fit in relationship to your foot bones. There was no concern for safety and you could do it for as many pair of shoes you tried on.

Its a wonder the population of Hammond didn't dwindle away from everyone becoming sterile.

jerry babitz
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  08:37:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes!! I remember that thing! I thought that was the coolest thing since Santa dropped down the chimney. I could actually see through my shoes and see moving bones as I wiggled my toes. I tried to figure out how I could stick my hand in it and look through that visor at the same time. Can't do it. I went to that thing every chance I had. Subsequently I now have only smoldering, glow-in-the-dark bones where my feet used to be. Don't forget that guy who used to sit like a mummy in the elevator and crank that big round handle around to get you from floor to floor.......CJ
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  19:23:11  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Lipke is right!
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  19:37:13  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thom McAnnon Indianapolis BLVD had it also. I remember taking my Grandmother [ the Lohse one]for her 50th Wedding Anniversary shoes. We had her fitted in a size 8 with the machine and everything. My mom and I looked at some bedroom slippers and then we left. WELL when we got home she had exchanged the 8 for a 5 1/2, 'cause she thought real ladies had small feet. My dad thought the two of us were really incompetent. But, we were dealing with a woman who was born in 1880 & that new fang-dangeled machine didn't know what size she wore, after all!
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  10:37:43  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by j-g

You Hessvillites-emeritus sure posted a lot since I last checked in!

A few Hammond items for you, and replies:

My 5th grader shares a class with Dr. Ramker's granddaughter, albeit it in south Hammond, not quite Hessville

Note to Tom J and other Hammond High '67 grads:
40th reunion coming up-- PM me or e-mail - Art Peschke wants to invite you.

Think Hammond!

กกก Jess กกก

Jess:

Thanks for the tip about the reunion, but as it so happens, I am one of the organizers. Please continue to help us spread the word, since we still have classmates whom we have not located and have not been able to inform.

Tom

A 1967 Graduate of Hammond High who cherishes his memories of growing up in the Hammond of the 1950's and 1960's. Bring back those days!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page