Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2011 :  21:55:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Roger,
You are the one who let me know about my cousin, David Van Alstine's having died.
He and my brother were about the same age and buddies in their elementary years in Hammond.

I remember the Serenade--my summer working at Kelly's was 1957. The lot surrounding the building now looks a lot smaller than it did in 1957 when I had to sweep it around 1:30 in the morning before I could go home.

What job did you do at the Serenade?

quote:
Originally posted by Roger D

Hey SC, I worked at the Serenade Drive-in, just next door to Kelly's in '60&'61. Great memories!!

Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2011 :  08:45:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was a cook there and I swept the lot some. If the car hops didn't want to sweep their area they had to pay me .50 to do it. That was big money when you were only makng .50 an hour. If there were three car hops working you could make $1.50 in about 45 minutes.
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2011 :  09:24:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those were lucky carhops. Since Nick, his wife, or his brother-in-law were the cooks, there was no asking for a bye or a buy—they would be cleaning up the kitchen, in fact. If I didn't have a ride home, one of them would give me a ride, since it was on their way home.

I would often take an Italian Beef Sandwich (Nick had the spice thing down and added a green pepper and the roll would be soggy by the time you bit into it--but no tomato sauce like Candes had.) home and eat it that time of the morning before I went to sleep---probably why I can't eat anything after 5:00pm now if I want to sleep at all. (Since Nick was Greek, the Beef Sandwich might better be described as Mediterranean as far as the spices it was cooked in.)
quote:

I was a cook there and I swept the lot some. If the car hops didn't want to sweep their area they had to pay me .50 to do it. That was big money when you were only makng .50 an hour. If there were three car hops working you could make $1.50 in about 45 minutes.

Edited by - S C Jones on 08/16/2011 09:26:43
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2011 :  11:34:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I used to work for Solina's Bakery, washing those huge gunk coated delivery pans every day(about a million of them)and on Saturday, scrape up all the hardened dough and crap up off the wooden floor in back for .60 an hour--no pension plan. And I thought I had the world by the butt then.
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2011 :  02:21:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SC -- Sorry to hear about your brother. But I'm glad you enjoyed your drive through da' Region; a lot of the old neighborhoods do look the same.

CS and ROGER D: - I remember the SERENADE well, because as a kid I lived one block directly west, on Magoun. Check the "Magoun Avenue Memories" thread here from time to time; there are very few photos of the Serenade, but I'll be posting some pics of that area (most are from the Purdue Cal photo archives). In fact, my grandparents lived in the house right in back of the Serenade from '59 to '63.

Here's a Purdue Archive photo of Indy Blvd from about 1958 at Christmas time. The Serenade is partially visible on the right, but it sure looks small! I remember the "tower"/facade of the place being HUGE! Wasn't it painted with light green and pink vertical stripes? And a pink neon SERENADE at an angle? You can also see the Jewel food store on the left, which opened in fall of '54.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2011 :  11:23:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Larry.

And, for that desolate pic of Indianapolis Blvd. Funny how snow would make
it look less desolate and inviting.
Go to Top of Page

1csullivan1

1 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  19:22:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was born in Hammond, IN and lived on the corner of Osborn Street right next to the railroad tracks. Thought those trains were going to come right through our house... I live in California now, so now I put up with the earthquakes instead. My sister Sandy, my brother John and I, all went to OLPH. I went to kindergarten at Porter School and Gavit for high school. I married Bob Gilchrist (legal name "Sullivan". I loved to hang out at the Woodmar shopping center which I understand is pretty much gone...

Claudia Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  10:21:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When one of the workers at the Serenade had a birthday we would load up after work (midnight)and go either to John's Pizza in Cal. City or to Sauzer's Waffle Shop in Schereville to celebrate.
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2012 :  09:03:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On this Memorial Day let us be sure to pause and remember all those from Hammond and elsewhere who died while fighting to protect our freedom. Take a look at Grand Avenue in the comic section of today's paper where Grandma and the kids are visiting a military cemetery. She says to them, "A whole lot of tomorrows were sacrificed so we could enjoy today."

Ken
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2012 :  15:07:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Claudia. Welcome to the forum. Sorry it took so long to respond.
Please feel free to chat about anything on any thread you like.
New memories are always fun. You can tell by the numbers that plenty of people read us. Some even respond!! Tom W
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2012 :  07:44:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Claudia, I can remember a Beverly Grcevich from grade school. Any relation?...Cj
Go to Top of Page

HessvilleExpat

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  21:29:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all of you posters for reviving many happy memories.
I went to Harding from 3rd to 7th grades. I think 3rd and 4th grades were in the “new” (at the time) brick building. Then 5th was in the old wooden frame school. They finished an addition to the brick building around 1957, and I had 6th grade in that addition. About that time they converted the old wooden frame building into a “junior high” for 7th and 8th grades.

We moved to Hessville in 1954, when I was 8, and lived there until 1966 when I entered the Air Force. Our house was on Parkway North, and smack across the street from the ice rink in Lost Park. I have many happy memories or playing “fox and chickens” on the rink with friends, and warming up at the pot-belly stove in the shelter house (which appears to have been torn down).

As a young boy I remember Christmas shopping trips with my mom to the stores on Hohman Ave., very much like what is shown in “A Christmas Story.”
I remember riding my bike up California St. to Dave's Dairy at 165th on Saturday after I got my allowance. I could buy a 3-pack of comic books (they started bundling them in plastic around 1957) and a pair of Hostess cupcakes, and return home for an afternoon of cultural enrichment and gastronomic delight.
I remember bowling in the leagues at Kenwood Bowl – had my own ball, bag, and shirt with first name on it!
I'm sad to say that I don't remember a lot of names, just a few first names of some best-friends.

I was actually made aware of Shep by friend I met in the Air Force who was from New Jersey, had listened to him on the radio, and was excited to learn I was from his home town. I read “In God We Trust...” and “Wanda Hickey” and found out that the guy who owned the tavern where my dad occasionally hung out was a well-known character in his stories. When I went home on leave I actually went over to Flick's house across the park and knocked on his door to say hello and ask about Jean. This was about 1967. I remember he was kind of surprised and said he hadn't seen Jean in a while, but was aware of being in Jean's stories.

I see that Flick's has moved into a building at Kennedy & Janet, whch was once a little restaurant/grill where I used to buy cheese burgers. (Is Flick still running the business, or is his family operating the bar now?)
I was also surprised to see on Google that Chuck and Irene's is still there on Kennedy near 161st. My folks were friends with the Basso's back in the day.

After getting out of the Air Force, I settled in Northern California and haven't been back since my wife and I visited my folks on a road-trip 37 years ago. Time flies!
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  10:50:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Expat,

Welcome aboard. Be sure to stick around and share more of your memories with us. What about high school; which one did you attend -- Morton, Tech, Noll? There just may be some folks on here who attended with you.

Best wishes.

Ken
Morton 1960

Edited by - wvcogs on 07/13/2012 12:31:32
Go to Top of Page

HessvilleExpat

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  13:56:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ken,

I attended Bishop Noll class of '64. I was a Sophomore during the great 1961/62 New Year's fire - a pretty cool event if you didn't like Phys-Ed. No one was hurt, and the replacement building was state-of-the-art for 1963.

Cheers,
Marty

quote:
Originally posted by wvcogs

Hello Expat,

Welcome aboard. Be sure to stick around and share more of your memories with us. What about high school; which one did you attend -- Morton, Tech, Noll? There just may be some folks on here who attended with you.

Best wishes.

Ken
Morton 1960

Go to Top of Page

elledemerson

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  22:04:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was born in Hammond. My grandparents lived a block away from us. Even after we moved south my grandparents stayed for four more years. It seemed I was coming and going from Hammond until I moved to New York a few years back. I've heard that all that's left of Hammond now is St. Margaret's and that Baptist church.
Go to Top of Page

rkarnisky

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2012 :  10:59:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Bucko

quote:
Originally posted by seejay2
quote:
Originally posted by svea3
There was a record store on Kennedy, I thought.. Judy Bogan and I spent hours there.... I remember buying "Shaboom". I still have that old 45 in its cover.
That would have been Luchene's. Part of one's weekly routine was to go there, get the WLS Silver Dollar Survey and then sift through the 45's.....CJ
As I mentioned on the Dick Biondi thread, I have 30 original WLS surveys (mostly 1962-1965) ... from "Wonderland by Night" through "Cherish" ... and I've made nice big scans of all of them. If you have a favorite song, artist, or date, just send me your address by Private Message, and I'll gladly e-mail it to you (or whatever I have that's closest) ... "Sealed with a Kiss", anyone? "Telstar"? "Go Away, Little Girl"? "Eight Days a Week"?

Bill

Warren G. Harding Class of '63

I'm from Griffith, and I used to ride my bike there every week for those WLS Surveys, plus an occasional record purchase.

Rob Karnisky
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2012 :  22:10:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome, newcomers!

My offer still stands:

As I mentioned on the Dick Biondi thread, I have 30 original WLS surveys (mostly 1962-1965) ... from "Wonderland by Night" through "Cherish" ... and I've made nice big scans of all of them. If you have a favorite song, artist, or date, just send me your address by Private Message, and I'll gladly e-mail it to you (or whatever I have that's closest) ... "Sealed with a Kiss", anyone? "Telstar"? "Go Away, Little Girl"? "Eight Days a Week"?

Bill

Warren G. Harding Class of '63
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2012 :  21:51:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pardon the thread crash, but I just found out they are doing a sequal to Christmas Story called Christmas Story 2. Ralphie 5 years on. (Direct to DVD - This can't be good) See more info here: http://sheptalk.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=774

And now back to our Hammond thread.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page