New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

tom pancheri

6 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  23:47:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone recall driving down Sohl Street in Hammond and seeing NOLL painted twice on the west side of the building? It was painted there up high enough so it could not easily be removed. The vandalism occured a couple of days before the Hammond High, Bishop Noll season ending football game. HHS was undefeated and going for the mythical State Championship Title. Noll had a so-so team and ended up battling HHS to tie dashing their hopes. You can still spot the reamains of the Noll sign some 47 years later. I won't reveal the names of the vandals, but I do know one of their SSN numbers. Munster ain't the Region. Toim Pancheri
Go to Top of Page

class_of_66

20 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2010 :  21:36:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Munster "ain't the region" what are all the folks that went to HHS and BNI prior to 1967.
Bernie Kruger---HHS football coach in the 60's was from Munster and is a personal friend.He thinks Munster is "Region"
Munster's first graduating class was 1967.
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2010 :  07:40:26  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Who says Munster isn't part of the Region? I think it is, so of course it is. It takes all the surrounding cities and towns to create the Region, not just one city or town. Shame on you Tom.

Bernie Kruger was one of my teachers at Irving and one of my favorites throughout my school years in Hammond.

Bob

Edited by - BobK on 10/18/2010 07:41:51
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  00:05:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my opinion, Munster is a part of "da Region."

I think there may be a bit of turf battle going on, because for many folks, Munster was considered a place where the more well-to-do families lived (or at least the ones that had much larger mortgages!)
And I suppose that some might not think they were as much Region-rats as those from Hammond, Robertsdale, EC, Whiting, etc.

But I had a lot of friends from Munster and they were great mates and every bit as worthy of wearing "da Region" moniker as the rest of us.
Go to Top of Page

class_of_66

20 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  20:45:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"well to do" depends on perspective and year.
I didn't go to Bishop Noll because my father could not afford it.
HHS was paid for by city of Munster----not so with BNI or Andrean which a few attended.

1966 was a defining year. Munster became more of a stand alone after that with fewer and fewer ties to Hammond.

At HHS I used to run with "The Mystics" a lot--Ralph Long,John Zandy,Rich Hale,Scott Blumenthal----occasionally Jerry Mcgeorge of "Shadows of Knight" would join in to jam with them.They had their own renditions of "The Bird" called "What's The Word" and "Louie Louie" lyrics that would have put them in jail if the adults could understand Ralph's slurred vocals. It was the "Animal House" atmosphere in high school which caused my HHS guidance counselor to state I was not "college material" and should learn a trade.

Then came draft cards, Vietnam,"The Lottery" and things went to ****.
"well to do" became not having to go in the military.

Don Slack(Munster) was the first HHS grad killed in Vietnam in 1967.
Here's to you buddy!
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  22:38:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gentlemen--

I'd like to propose that we consider Munster (and Highland, etc) part of "THE" Region, but that Hammond, Whiting, East Chicago, Cal City, etc be referred to as part of "DA" Region.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 10/23/2010 19:44:42
Go to Top of Page

class_of_66

20 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  06:20:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I'm from The Region------------ and went to school in Da Region------------ so I could root for Da Bears. I gets it.

Edited by - class_of_66 on 10/20/2010 06:23:43
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  08:05:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The people I knew in Munster back then, never expressed a desire to be part of 'Da Region'. In fact, they put as much distance as possible between people like myself and and their own breed.
I always thought of them as sitting in some enclave apart from the rest of the 'great unwashed'.
Remember now: these were individuals that I knew from back then...Cj
Go to Top of Page

Joel357

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  12:47:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My grandfather and grandmother came here in 1924 and lived in Hammond til 1952. He started 3 businesses in Hammond. Both my dad and aunt went to Hammond HIgh. Our family business was in Hammond from 1948 to 1980. C.J., I feel that I am a region rat. I identify with growing up in the area. I just happened to grow up south of the Little Calumet River and graduated from Munster High School.
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  14:35:16  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've always thought of Munster as being part of "The Region."

I don't think there is any denying that the folks in Munster were generally a little better off financially than the folks in Hammond, but there sure isn't anything wrong with that. I believe the money was come by honestly in the vast majority of Munster families.

I can't remember ever feeling like I was being "looked down upon" by anyone from Munster. They seemed like good folks to me.

Tomster
Go to Top of Page

Joel357

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  15:33:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I can understand how people feel about some people from Munster. When I was growing up there, there was a lot of building of subdivisions around town. Alot of these homes were magnificent and it seems like a lot of people moved from other areas to Munster. Some came from Hammond, Gary, and Illinois. Alot, not all, were new found rich and they loved spoiling their kids. There were a number who got new cars after either getting their drivers licenses or had to wait til they graduated from high school. I grew up just west of the Monon tracks, north of Ridge Road and east of Hohman. We had a nice house, not spectacular but it was home. The nice thing was that I had a lot of baby boomer friends on the block and we all grew up with each other. I am still friends with alot of people I grew up with. You could transplant my house and would fit in with any other houses in Hammond.
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2010 :  01:31:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not that I want to add any fuel to the fire, but.....
There's no doubt that, over the years, a lot of people from Whiting "escaped" their "inferior" surroundings and moved to Munster; I've occasionally talked to them. They'd admit (with some obvious embarassment) that they were born and raised in Whiting but now (with obvious pride) reside in Munster. My late father also recounted conversations with people that he had grown up with in Whiting but who now bragged about the fact that they had joined the ranks of the elite in Munster.

Not that I spend any time worrying about this. When I am working with my orchestra up in the well-to-do Chicago North Shore area or doing speaking gigs with the Chicago Symphony, I always declare when asked that I live in Whiting; I could give a rat's a___ what anybody thinks. I'm proud to have been born and raised in a blue collar community.

LR
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2010 :  01:56:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watching this string unfold is really nostalgic in itself. Seems like we spent many winter evenings at
Cal Hoff or Big Wheel or Brahos or Kwikee Snax having this same conversation. Of course you guys are all right in your own ways. We kinda liked to set ourselves apart by saying that we were Nort Siders. We thought that anyone north of the Grand Calumet was a North Sider and anyone south of the Little Cal was an elite group as well but that sorta vanished when we got to know anyone from Munster. For a very short time, we worked at Burgers on Ridge Road where we met some of the nicest people around. Tom W
Go to Top of Page

class_of_66

20 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2010 :  11:11:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I worked at Burgers on Ridge 65/66. Got to know the Lansing dudes who introduced us to parking with your date at Thorton woods.
Cops wouldn't bother you unless they did not see two heads above the seats. Then it was the spotlight and the OMG moment.
They should put an historical marker on that road-------------
Origin of the Phrase
"Don't come a knock'n if the car is rock'n".

Then there was the hours spent stacking empty bottle returns by the case nearly to the ceiling in the bottle room.Coke, Pepsi, Nehi,Dads,7up all had to be separate.Once a week it seemed someone would have a whole column come crashing down and you could hear it throughout the store.
Go to Top of Page

class_of_66

20 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2010 :  11:20:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is always good for a chuckle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fruHQhNe-UM
Go to Top of Page

class_of_66

20 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2010 :  11:28:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This one's good too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHOE_ertzoc
Go to Top of Page

Second Son

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2010 :  18:13:58  Show Profile  Visit Second Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by seejay2

Hi All!,
I happened to blunder into this site while trying to remember the name of the drive-in that was located on 169th & Kennedy Ave, in the '67 era where the KFC is now.
After seeing reference to Dick's Grocery, The Nook, Tilden numbers (TI4-4846 by the way) and those old photos of the wooden Harding building I spent the entire morning wrapped up in the discussions concerning "Hessville of Olde" and could not pull myself away from it.
I still remember when you picked up the phone and heard, "Number please". You then had to give the number to the little voice to make the connection.
Solinas' Bakery..I worked in there cleaning the 20 million pans they delivered the rolls and donuts on.
After that, I worked in a little electronics repair shop called Triangle Repair, just a couple doors down from Hills Hammond Times Agency...I put time in at the Big Wheel on the boulevard as a short order cook when they still had a curb service. I survived the '67 Snow and Viet Nam, but I still can't remember the name of that drive-in. Can someone help me out?
Thanx,
CJ

I haven't read through all of the pages and pages of this thread yet Seejay so I don't know if anyone has answered your question but the name of the drive in was the Pow Wow. I worked there for my first job when I was 14 (41 years ago) flipping "Bozo" burgers and making $1.00 an hour. I even lied about my age so I could get a work permit!
Go to Top of Page

Second Son

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2010 :  18:21:02  Show Profile  Visit Second Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tom J

quote:

I don't doubt for a second that it was there, I just don't remember it there. I fact, I think I remember mom saying something about it there. I'll have to ask about that...............CJ

I'm not sure I understand your last post, but I was agreeing with you that there definitely WAS a Candes Pizza on 165th, like you said in your prior post.

Tomster

A 1967 Graduate of Hammond High who cherishes his memories of growing up in the Hammond of the 1950's and 1960's. Bring back those days!

Cande's Pizza was definitely at the corner of 165th and Arizona. Cande's burned down.

Edited by - Second Son on 10/23/2010 18:22:36
Go to Top of Page

Second Son

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2010 :  18:35:25  Show Profile  Visit Second Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eyebab

In the 50's I remember 2 stores on the west side of Kennedy, down by Morton, called "The Emporium" and "Whitakers." Whitakers was a small grocery run by two old maid sisters while the Emporium was a small variety shop where I remember buying 33 stamps for 99 cents. Also remember a hardware store right off the SW corner of Kennedy and 169th. Down from there was a plumbing Co.where the Dedelow(oldest son became mayor of Hammond)family lived upstairs.

Used to take a bus to downtown Hammond and get off at Woolworths and head over to Goldblatts and go down in the basement and get two steamed hot dogs(buns steamed too) and a coke...all for a quarter. Upstairs on the 2nd floor they had a shoe repair where you would sit in an open booth in your stocking feet while your shoes were resoled.

Also on State Street there was a place which sold 78 rpm records and they had booths with phonographs where you could listen to the latest record before buying(or more likely for me,just listen to your favorite record without buying.)

One subject I haven't seen broached is teachers. At Morton High Albert Clark was the principle. 9th hour dicipinarian was named Ruff and he taught Latin. Miss Virden taught English. Mr. Flansburg taught algebra. Maury Zlotnik was the football coach. Other names: Chidester, Hand, Groves, Melton.

Hammond and esp. Hessville in the late 40's and 50's was a perfect place for growing up. I know change always comes and you can't live in the past, but I sure cherish those childhood memories.

jerry

The hardware store on the SW corner of Kennedy and 169th was called Glombeck's Hardware. A little further down the same side of the street was Jimmy's Feed Store, Sharon Mae's Variety Store and the old Post Office. Right across Kennedy was Lelito's Hardware.
Go to Top of Page

Second Son

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2010 :  19:30:04  Show Profile  Visit Second Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry all - but before I commit another major feaux paux, I thought it would be in my best interest to introduce myself. I was just introduced to this site by my brother and I have spent two full evenings reading the posts in this one thread and I'm still pages (and as it turns out - some years) behind because I didn't realize that this thread has stretched out over a period of some years, so forgive me for answering questions that may have already been answered. Much to my chagrin I would answer a question (with delight) someone had asked only to read further on and find someone else had already answered the question. But being a native of Hessville, delivered by Dr. Ramker (who lived down the street from our family on Arizona Avenue) a graduate of OLPH Elementary School (Class of 1969) and Morton Senior High School (Class of 1973) and a life long resident of Hessville who still lives here, I ask for your indulgence for my impetuousness. But I still think that I can really contribute to this forum and am glad to be here. Hell, I probably even know or knew some of you or your relatives. That being said, I'm going back to page 7 of the thread to continue my catching up. Thank You All!

Edited by - Second Son on 10/23/2010 19:31:53
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2010 :  19:53:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Second Son,

Let me also welcome you to Sheptalk; our paths probably crossed many years ago, since I was an OLPH/Morton guy as well (but 4 years older than you). There's also a few more of us Hessville/OLPH guys from the era who regularly contribute, all operating under our mysterious user-names.

I'm sure you will discover many fun, fascinating things as you read through the threads here; I'm sure you've seen the Pow-wow, OLPH, Fabulous Hot-Dog, etc topics already that deal specifically with Hessville. And there's TONS more!

Later.

HassoBenSoba (Larry R)

PS. When you get to the point where you want to expand your horizons, I'd suggest you check the "Edju Tucker" thread.....

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 10/23/2010 19:55:34
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2010 :  21:31:40  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Second Son

Sorry all - but before I commit another major feaux paux, I thought it would be in my best interest to introduce myself. I was just introduced to this site by my brother and I have spent two full evenings reading the posts in this one thread and I'm still pages (and as it turns out - some years) behind because I didn't realize that this thread has stretched out over a period of some years, so forgive me for answering questions that may have already been answered. Much to my chagrin I would answer a question (with delight) someone had asked only to read further on and find someone else had already answered the question. But being a native of Hessville, delivered by Dr. Ramker (who lived down the street from our family on Arizona Avenue) a graduate of OLPH Elementary School (Class of 1969) and Morton Senior High School (Class of 1973) and a life long resident of Hessville who still lives here, I ask for your indulgence for my impetuousness. But I still think that I can really contribute to this forum and am glad to be here. Hell, I probably even know or knew some of you or your relatives. That being said, I'm going back to page 7 of the thread to continue my catching up. Thank You All!

Second Son:

It is ABSOLUTELY OK to answer old questions that have been answered before. Your answer could shed more light on the previous answer.

We don't mind old threads being revived. Heck, we are happy to see new posts on old threads.

This is NOT your typical message board where you will get flamed for not using the "search" feature or for posting in old threads. We all respect each other around here. We are all from those times when people were taught respect by their parents.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2010 :  18:17:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is kinda off topic but it has been over a year since we have heard from tsofred. If anyone that is still in the region can find out anything, could you either post or e-mail me? We were good friends. Thanks so much. His last post was May 6 2009. Tom W
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2010 :  21:30:01  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom:

Have you tried clicking on his username? That will take you to his profile, and he has allowed Emails to be sent to him from Sheptalk. Also, he has a link to his Yahoo Instant Message account in that profile.

Tom J
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2010 :  09:02:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HEY, people!! I was looking at "THE TIMES" sport section and saw that MORTON is in the playoffs in football with a record of 12-1. GO GOVS!
Go to Top of Page

Jim

46 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2010 :  13:48:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure the Times won't mind posting this article on our "Mighty" Governors winning the regional Friday night and going to the state semi-final game. Congratulations!!!

Morton runs past Concord to first semistate
By Josh Weinfuss josh.weinfuss@nwi.com, (219) 933-3374 | Posted: Friday, November 12, 2010 10:15 pm

ELKHART | Six minutes had not yet ticked off the clock in the first quarter when an unhappy Concord fan stood, turned around and yelled up to Minutemen coaches assembled atop the press box.

"Change the game plan," the man hollered repeatedly.

By then it was too late. Concord couldn't do anything to handle a fast Morton team.

Morton used its speed to overwhelm Concord and shock a standing-room only crowd 46-13 in the Class 4A regional on Friday night at Jake Field.

"We play at such a fast pace and a high level," Morton coach Roy Richards said. "Across the board anybody who touches the ball could be gone at any time and it's carried over to defense and our special teams.

"Anybody could be big and anybody can play good football but if you haven't seen speed like that its hard to match up."

Friday was the first time Morton (12-1) played a playoff game outside of Lake County since 1991 and Richards was worried about everything from pulling his players out of school too early to the long bus trip. It wasn't something the Governors had done before and Richards wasn't sure how they'd react.

It didn't take his team long to prove to their coach not much was going to get in the way of bringing a semistate game back to Hammond.

Quarterback Andrew Glidewell, who was 8 of 13 for 163 yards and three touchdowns, hit D'Jari Griffin for touchdowns on Morton's first two possessions and Morton led 12-0 with 5:24 left in the first stanza. Morton's other quarterback, Chris McCormack, who threw for 52 yards and ran for another 67, scored a few minutes later on a keeper from the 4 to swell the Governors' lead by six.

Griffin had 113 yards and three touchdown receptions.

"The way we get out of the gate, we said to ourselves, at the end of the first quarter if we're still in it, we have a great chance," Richards added. "At halftime if we're still in it we really felt like we were going to win.

"We forced them to use a lot of their energy just to get back in the game. They looked at halftime like a team that played all four quarters. We said they used up all their energy to get back in the game and then we return the last second kickoff."

Richards was referring to Jaborie Rucks' 65-yard kickoff return with 14 seconds left in the first half. Concord had come within 24-13 on an Alex Sith touchdown reception from sophomore quarterback Ryan McKibbin, who was 8-of-27 passing for 134 yards. On the ensuing kickoff, kicker Nick Wysong squibbed it to the right and Rucks took it back for a touchdown, giving the Governors a 31-13 lead.

"That's really what took the wind out of their sails," Richards said.

Morton senior running back Kayln Aaron led all rushers with 164 yards on 24 carries but his only touchdown came on an 11-yard catch in the back corner of the end zone. Glidewell placed it perfectly over two Minutemen defenders and Aaron came down with the ball, falling out of bounds, keeping his left foot in bounds.

"I think I just picked smart holes and I knew where my offense receivers were to block backs," Aaron said. "So basically I just played a smart game."
Go to Top of Page

LegulusQ

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2010 :  01:28:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are links to a couple of videos created by davegon420 and posted on YouTube.

This first one was created after the Governors won the sectional over Gary West Side:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd7ijoNGHxk

The second one followed the Govs victory over Concord in Elkhart in the Regionals last Friday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWNerRIlVD4

Next up for Morton is Fort Wayne Dwenger at Zlotnik Field in Hessville this Saturday, Nov. 20. This will be the first football semi-state game ever played in the city of Hammond! Go Govs!

[The game will be broadcast over-the-air locally, but for anyone out of the area the game can also be heard on the internet at the Region Sports Network (www.regionsports.com) starting with pregame coverage at 3:00PM CST followed by the game at 5:00PM. RSN is where my brother and recent Sheptalk contributor "Second Son" works.]

LegulusQ

Edited by - LegulusQ on 11/18/2010 01:48:02
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2010 :  06:51:46  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, from an HHS Grad... GO GOVS!

(Even if you guys DID beat my Wildcats in the Basketball Sectional in 1967 when HHS was expected to go far in the State Tournament.) :(

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  09:12:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very good of you Tom. If HHS ever gets in this position, this Morton '62 grad will say the same to you!!!
Go to Top of Page

mcgyver

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2010 :  18:56:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I gotta agree with SEEJAY2 on Munsterites... We got a lot of exchange students from Munster at Tech because we had the Shop Classes and they didn't... I had NEVER seena bigger bunch of spoiled brats in my life! Most seemed to reseent having to cross over from the "Good" side of the Little Cal into 'Da Region and associate (loosely, if at all) with the rest of us Region Rats there... There were some other things with them also back then (late 60's, early 70's)... let's just say that their parent's allowances allowed them to "score" more exotic things than what sosme of the local 'Rats were experimenting with back then.

Mcgyver
Hammond Tech Class of '71
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2010 :  08:06:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2010 :  16:46:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats to Florida Kelly on the wonderful articles that I found yesterday on his father and his father's restaurants. Charlie deserves all of the recognition he can get for his part of Shep's writings. Kelly, you and your sister will always have a place in my memorys right along with Charlie and the gift that he gave me. One article was on the front page of the Northwest Indiana News and the other on the front page of MSNBC. Nice going, Kelly. Tom W
Go to Top of Page

linbu

27 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  13:26:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finally finished reading all 25 pages and can't believe no one has posted anything since Dec. 26, 2010. Was that the end of this thread? There is no more?
Go to Top of Page

dilligaf717

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  15:39:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having lived in both "The" and "Da" I can honestly say there was more resentment shown to those south of the Little Cal by those on the north side. One time in particular shines brightly in my mind. We went to the Christmas BB tourney at the Civic center and barely escaped with our lives, so it seemed to a sophmore in high school. I believe that Munster swept the tourney that year. Sometime 68 or 69. That was when we discovered that a can of hairspray and a BIC lighter made a great deterent to someone that wanted to kick your tail. LOL
I remember several of the busses getting many windows busted out by pipe welding regionites.
A random reminesence from a former region rat who now hangs his sombrero in beautiful South Texas.

Jim

Still runnin against the wind.
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2011 :  08:07:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by linbu

I finally finished reading all 25 pages and can't believe no one has posted anything since Dec. 26, 2010. Was that the end of this thread? There is no more?
It dries up every now and again then someone will post something and it flies once more. A lot of people have turned their attention to 'Planet Hammond' on Facebook lately. Check it out. In the meantime, think of something to 'prime the pump' on Shep here...Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 02/23/2011 08:12:35
Go to Top of Page

linbu

27 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  01:18:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have Planet Hammond bookmarked and look at it everyday. I've been thinking about how sheltered I was as a kid. You regulars here seem to know so much about Hammond, all the restaurants, places to go, etc. We never went out to eat when I was a kid so I never had Condes pizza,or anything else. I remember Sip and Bite because I was warned never to go in that place All the hoodlums hung out there, lol. Same thing with the Hitching Post, Lil governors, Pow Wow. I think my mom just didn't want us to go anywhere. My world was Hessville Park all the way down to the library and Ace theater. Never went past there much unless I was in the car with mom and dad.
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  07:55:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if you remember a place called "Wesley's' on Kennedy Ave, a little north of the "Ace". As kids, we were sternly warned to never even look into the windows of that place, forget ever entering because there were 'beatniks' hanging out in there.
To make a good story short, my friend and I acquired a pocketful of change and heard they had a pinball machine in Wesleys, in the back. We went in there to play the machine. We were so little, they put a wooden milk box for us to stand on. We had such a good time with that, we lost track of time and the other kid's dad found us in there because we parked our little red wagon out front. Needless to say, we got a butt whipping I still remember; not from the 'beatniks' (which I still do not remember seeing even one), but from our parents...Cj
Go to Top of Page

linbu

27 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  09:14:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember Wesleys, but I was told hoodlums or hooligans hung out there. I wasn't allowed there either.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  09:27:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where was Wesley's located. I remember a sporting goods store that was just north of the department store that had a pin ball machine. They also sold toys because I remember getting some plastic western wagons and horses in there as a present. The stagecoach was molded in red plastic.
My mother would take us into the Hitching Post when they first opened. The hamburgers were quite large and sold for .30 cents. I'm guessing this was around 56 or 57.
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  10:54:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim: Wesley's Restaurant was located at 6731 Kennedy, just north of the Ace.
From some time in the 1940s until the late 1950s, Adam Sienkiewicz Sporting Goods was located at 6717 Kennedy Avenue, just north of the Department Store. By 1961, Dr. Zaranka, the optometrist, was in that building.
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  16:26:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK Ken, as long as you mention Adam's, I have to add to my Wesley's story. Adam's was complicit in my (and Timmy's) murder the night we got caught in Wesley's. Tim and I had been out collecting pop bottles (hence the red wagon) and cashing them in at Adam's. This was the booty we used for the pinball machine. Thinking back, I remember being a bit upset about loosing the free games we had racked up on the machine when we were jerked out of there by Tim's old man. I didn't realize right then the worse was yet to come...Cj
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  17:33:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Plummer

My mother would take us into the Hitching Post when they first opened. The hamburgers were quite large and sold for .30 cents. I'm guessing this was around 56 or 57.

The Hitching Post shut down a year or so after I graduated from Morton in 1960. I'm surprised it didn't last any longer. Do you have any idea why it shut down?
Ken

Edited by - wvcogs on 02/25/2011 17:35:29
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  18:46:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't. I was never in the place...Cj
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  18:54:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't. I was never in the place...Cj

It was the favorite lunchtime hangout during my time at MHS, but was closed by the time you got there.
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  20:16:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you just call me "kid"?
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  20:55:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Did you just call me "kid"?

Yup!
Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  09:26:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guess is the Hitching Post wasn't making enough money. It's funny I don't remember Wesley's restaurant at all. I guess I was never in there. I'm surprised I missed out on the pin ball machine.
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  17:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, I don't remember if Wesley's had a sign or not--I only remember a pinball machine and beating that followed. I suspect Ken can help on this one:
Could that be a "Wesley's" sign, just below Vierks and to the left of the bottom row of Ace marquee lights? Only part of the "W" is visible, if that's what it actually is...Cj
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  18:27:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Could that be a "Wesley's" sign, just below Vierks and to the left of the bottom row of Ace marquee lights? Only part of the "W" is visible, if that's what it actually is...Cj
I see what appears to be a "W," but the restaurant wasn't Wesley's in 1955 when the picture was taken. In the 1954 directory it is listed as "Bartels Marilyn Mrs restr." In 1956 it is "Smith Adelaide Mrs restr." The next directory I have is 1961 where it is listed as Wesley's. I can't imagine what that "W" sign could be for. Between the Ace and Vierk's were a beauty shop, the restaurant, and Fifield's. Ken...

Edited by - wvcogs on 03/01/2011 18:30:05
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  09:48:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, then there it is...Cj
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page