Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 General Talk
 Hammond Indiana
 Any one from Hammond?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  11:18:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob; A couple of years ago when I was studying to be an ordained deacon, our parish priest introduced me to this couple that had just moved here from Hammond. Mr and Mrs Madura had the dance hall at 5 points in Whiting. "Madura's Danceland". Same family? I remember Ken too. Also, we just got a new Polish priest. Where did he come from? You know the Grotto on Ridge Road in Munster? Yep, thats where. My wife and I were touring that grotto one afternoon several years ago when one of the monks locked the gate. We heard the gate and ran out on the balcony and yelled and yelled. No one came. The lights were then turned off and it was pitch black inside. We finally made it down thru three levels of the grotto and over the iron fence that surrounds it. Later on we found out that brother so-and-so was deaf and dumb. Tom W
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  12:06:58  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I used to go to Madura's Danceland but I don't think Ken's parents owned it. It could have been owned by a relative though. I'll check with a mutual friend and find out where Ken lives and if there is any connection with the Danceland.

How did you get out? Run your tin cup across the bars until someone came?
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  16:27:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob; I climbed over the fence and went to the building with lights on. There was a bunch of monks eating supper. I explained what happened and one of them got a key and we went back and got my wife. He apologized. See, I was gonna say that she threw a dollar out and when I saw it, I tore the gate down.LOL Tom W
Go to Top of Page

wefles

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  19:02:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I known the som Michael the 4th. Great family. He would tell me about it.
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2010 :  11:10:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Second Annual - Award presented to Jean Shepherd - April 7th, 1981

Below is a copy of the letter Jean Shepherd wrote accepting the award.


2 July 1980

Mr. Edward B. Hayward, Director
Hammond Public Library
564 State Street
Hammond, Indiana 46320

Dear Mr. Hayward:

Of course, I am delighted to accept your invitation to be
the recipient at the second annual Hammond Achievement Award
dinner. I can't tell you how delighted I was when I recieved
your letter, since every artist or performer or whatever has
a secret, usually unfulfilled desire to be at last honored in
his home town.

In fact, yours is the first letter of any sort that I've ever
in all the years recieved from Hammond, good or bad. I have
always had a sneaking suspicion that an undercover Select
Committee of watchful Hammond citizens was operating success-
fully to keep my books, short stories, TV shows, and any mention
of my name out of the records of the town, for their own sinister
purposes.

Hammond, of course, is where I grew up, 2907 Cleveland Street,
Hessville, to be exact. Hammond is also the town that is the
center of all my writing. In fact, not too long ago an inter-
viewer from The New York Times asked me "That do they think of
your work in Hammond?"

I was afraid he'd ask that, so I tried to change the subject
by mentioning that I was a White Sox fan. He persisted, in the
manner of New York Times reporters, until finally, in a fit
of irritation I answered "Well, dammit, man, what do they think
of you in your home town, wherever that is?"

Caught off guard, he answered "Hell, they probably don't even
know I exist." With my impeccable timing, I shot back "Well,
there's your answer." Not to be put off, he gamely came back
with "Come on, after all, you've written two novels, at least
forty short stories, and told on television and radio God knows
how many tales of Hammond, Indiana. They gotta know about you!"

And then, with a look of quiet cool on my face, I calmly
answered "Ahah, my ink-stained wretch, you don't know Hammond."

Needless to say, I am honored deeply by the Award, and I will
be eagerly on hand to accept whatever plaudits Hammond may see
fit to bestow on this graduate of Hammond High, who still has his
sacred purple and white block "H" safely stored away and who
actually remembers the words to the Wildcat fight song.

Hammond, we'll fight for you
Purple victory is our hue.....

Excelsior! Jean Shepherd

Go to Top of Page

Joel357

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2010 :  15:34:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My dad, mom and I went to the banquet at Wicker Park. My dad talked with him for several minutes. A real nice time that we experienced.

Joel
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2010 :  15:44:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I saw the letter, it just hit me that while we all were proclaiming our Hammond roots, this particular letter belonged where our roots were proclaimed because the site would not be available 'cept for his genius in portraying his childhood in Hammond/Hessville.

And, Joel, you got to see the guy in person!

quote:
Originally posted by Joel357

My dad, mom and I went to the banquet at Wicker Park. My dad talked with him for several minutes. A real nice time that we experienced.

Joel

Go to Top of Page

Joel357

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2010 :  17:46:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and I talked to him on amateur radio 2 meters FM a couple of years before, so did my dad.
Go to Top of Page

jonjen

8 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  18:45:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvcogs

Hello gang -- I need your help on this one. I'm corresponding with a 1956 graduate of Morton who believes Edison school was a high school in the 1950s. As far as I remember, it was always an elementary/junior high school with the eighth grade being the highest. What are your comments on this one?
Thanks.
Ken



I was in 3rd grade (Mrs. Gunderson's class) at Edison in about 1954 and it only went through eighth grade then.
Go to Top of Page

Joel357

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  21:42:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gee it has been painfully quiet here.
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  21:52:51  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joel357

Gee it has been painfully quiet here.



You got that right! We need someone to stir things up.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Joel357

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  21:55:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How's it going my good friend?
Go to Top of Page

Joel357

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  21:57:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, I got some of my dad's old Dunes yearbooks. 1938,1939 and 1941
Go to Top of Page

FloridaKelly

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  00:14:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, I think Shep graduated it either 1944 or 1945 from HHS. I remember seeing his picture when I worked on the Dunes staff. I have a 1938 Dunes and he's not in that year.

Kelly
Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  08:30:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who you gonna call!!!!! Maybe its the time of the year. Several other sites I visit often are also dead of late. I wonder what is going on. I love this site and want to see some activity!
quote:
Originally posted by Tom J

quote:
Originally posted by Joel357

Gee it has been painfully quiet here.



You got that right! We need someone to stir things up.

Tom

Go to Top of Page

Joel357

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  09:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kelly,

He is listed as a junior in the 1938, as with my dad Jack Miner. Also, if you find the picture of Hi-Y club, you'll see a picture of Shep there. His senior picture is in the 1939 Dunes yearbook and he is shown in the orchestra with his tuba.

Joel
Go to Top of Page

Joel357

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  19:04:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kelly,

I have the 1938 Dunes yearbook and Shep's picture is on page 40, row 10 and is the last picture in that row(15). His picture in Hi Y is on page 79.

Joel
Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  16:04:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joel, Any chance you could show us those pictures?
quote:
Originally posted by Joel357

Kelly,

I have the 1938 Dunes yearbook and Shep's picture is on page 40, row 10 and is the last picture in that row(15). His picture in Hi Y is on page 79.

Joel

Go to Top of Page

Joel357

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  07:55:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,

It is on www.flicklives.com , you might want to check it out there as I don't have a scanner.If you enlarge the picture you'll find my dad in the photos.

Joel
Go to Top of Page

Joel357

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  07:59:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the link is photos of Shep. My dad is in row 5 and the 6th picture.
Go to Top of Page

FloridaKelly

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  08:24:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Joel for the info.

I have the 1938 Dunes yearbook and Shep's picture is on page 40, row 10 and is the last picture in that row(15). His picture in Hi Y is on page 79.

Joel
[/quote]
Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  09:36:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Joel. I noticed my photos of the oringinal Flicks Tap location are still there.
quote:
Originally posted by Joel357

Jim,

It is on www.flicklives.com , you might want to check it out there as I don't have a scanner.If you enlarge the picture you'll find my dad in the photos.

Joel

Go to Top of Page

Joel357

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  10:16:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a Purdue Cal student, my friends and I used to go to Flicks evry so often.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  07:34:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this sounds strange, but I've never been in there. I assume its just a neighborhood bar; is it? Is there anything that indicates its place in Shep history? As a matter of fact, I never went to any of the taverns in Hessville. When I was at Purdue extension we use to go to the Rose & Crown in Cal City and the bar in the bowling alley at 165th and Columbia ave.
quote:
Originally posted by Joel357

As a Purdue Cal student, my friends and I used to go to Flicks evry so often.

Go to Top of Page

nitti

66 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  09:36:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Plummer

I know this sounds strange, but I've never been in there. I assume its just a neighborhood bar; is it? Is there anything that indicates its place in Shep history? As a matter of fact, I never went to any of the taverns in Hessville. When I was at Purdue extension we use to go to the Rose & Crown in Cal City and the bar in the bowling alley at 165th and Columbia ave.
quote:
Originally posted by Joel357

As a Purdue Cal student, my friends and I used to go to Flicks evry so often.



Unfortunately the original Flick's is boarded up - after it moved north into a buiding that once housed a little restaurant called the "Nook", the original site went through a series of reincarnations known mostly for violence and mayhem. After the last shooting, it was closed down - possibly never to re-open.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  08:39:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a litte grocery store in that building called Dicks. My mother would send me for milk because they were cheaper than 'The Fruit Stand' [further North one Kennedy ave] Once I broke one of the gallon jugs and they let me have another one.
quote:
Originally posted by nitti

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Plummer

I know this sounds strange, but I've never been in there. I assume its just a neighborhood bar; is it? Is there anything that indicates its place in Shep history? As a matter of fact, I never went to any of the taverns in Hessville. When I was at Purdue extension we use to go to the Rose & Crown in Cal City and the bar in the bowling alley at 165th and Columbia ave.
quote:
Originally posted by Joel357

As a Purdue Cal student, my friends and I used to go to Flicks evry so often.



Unfortunately the original Flick's is boarded up - after it moved north into a buiding that once housed a little restaurant called the "Nook", the original site went through a series of reincarnations known mostly for violence and mayhem. After the last shooting, it was closed down - possibly never to re-open.

Go to Top of Page

Saito_56

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  08:30:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EastHammondBoomer


BTW, I have an old picture (circa 60's) of Shoppers World (for some reason I thought it was Shoppers Fair) which if I recall was just over the bridge past the K-Mart on Indianapolis Blvd. Wasn't there a "Topps" store there, too? I tried posting the photo but I don't have the url.

Dave G



Hi, New to the forum, and had to reply. Shoppers World was on Indianapolis Blvd. Just to the south of Ridge Road. My wife worked there in the late 60's, and now where the Ultra is, there use to be a Topps, I use to work there in 1971.

Rather be living in Indiana
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  08:43:49  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saito_56

quote:
Originally posted by EastHammondBoomer


BTW, I have an old picture (circa 60's) of Shoppers World (for some reason I thought it was Shoppers Fair) which if I recall was just over the bridge past the K-Mart on Indianapolis Blvd. Wasn't there a "Topps" store there, too? I tried posting the photo but I don't have the url.

Dave G




Hi, New to the forum, and had to reply. Shoppers World was on Indianapolis Blvd. Just to the south of Ridge Road. My wife worked there in the late 60's, and now where the Ultra is, there use to be a Topps, I use to work there in 1971.

Rather be living in Indiana




Hi, Bob! Welcome to Sheptalk! I hope you will be a prolific poster.

Tell us a little about yourself.

Tom

P.S. Did you mean to say that Shoppers World was just NORTH of Ridge Road?

Edited by - Tom J on 04/09/2010 08:46:31
Go to Top of Page

Saito_56

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  08:58:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tom J

quote:
Originally posted by Saito_56

quote:
Originally posted by EastHammondBoomer


BTW, I have an old picture (circa 60's) of Shoppers World (for some reason I thought it was Shoppers Fair) which if I recall was just over the bridge past the K-Mart on Indianapolis Blvd. Wasn't there a "Topps" store there, too? I tried posting the photo but I don't have the url.

Dave G




Hi, New to the forum, and had to reply. Shoppers World was on Indianapolis Blvd. Just to the south of Ridge Road. My wife worked there in the late 60's, and now where the Ultra is, there use to be a Topps, I use to work there in 1971.

Rather be living in Indiana




Hi, Bob! Welcome to Sheptalk! I hope you will be a prolific poster.

Tell us a little about yourself.

Tom

P.S. Did you mean to say that Shoppers World was just NORTH of Ridge Road?




Shoppers World, was north of Ridge Rd. at the base of the overpass of the Railroad Tracks. (probably now pulled out)

About me? OK you asked for it! Seriously, I was born at St. Margaret's in Hammond in 1949, lived in Black Oak until 1968 when I got a apartment in Hessville. Married my wife in 1968, (she was from Munster) got drafted in the spring of 1969, spent a year in Vietnam with the First Cav. shooting artillery, came home, went back to work for the B&O RR in Riverdale, bought a house in Hammond, moved to Schererville in 1983, and in 1992 was transfered to Florida where I worked until June of 2009 when I retired. Whew!

Rather be living in Indiana
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  11:18:05  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob:

Cool beans! I was born at St. Margaret's in 1949 also. June 2, 1949, to be exact.

I managed to avoid military service through a college deferment and then a high lottery number, but I thank you for your service.

Tom

Edited by - Tom J on 04/09/2010 11:18:26
Go to Top of Page

Saito_56

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  16:18:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I consider Vietnam a great learning experience that I would do again. The real thanks go to today's military. Some are serving a second, third or fourth tour in the middle east.

Rather be living in Indiana
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  19:06:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SAITO--

Welcome to Sheptalk, and thanks for your service to your country.
Hope we'll hear a lot from you. In the meantime, here's a cool pic of Shopper's World from the early '60's; it's been posted already on Sheptalk, but I can't remember under which thread/topic. Shopper's World opened (I believe) in 1960--I still remember what a big "night out" event it was for our family to go shopping there. It was 'da Region's first big-box store, followed soon after by TOPPS, on the south end of the same lot.

Larry R


Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  08:46:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BOB - Welcome to the forum. My wife grew up in Black Oak. She was born in '48 in Ky. Her dad moved north looking for work, as so many did, in '51. She lived there until '61 or '62. Then moved to Griffith. She lived on 23rd two blocks east of Cline by the train tracks.
My aunt worked for Shoppers World.
Once again welcome!
Roger

Edited by - Roger D on 04/10/2010 08:47:49
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  09:37:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HassoBenSoba

SAITO--

Welcome to Sheptalk, and thanks for your service to your country.
Hope we'll hear a lot from you. In the meantime, here's a cool pic of Shopper's World from the early '60's; it's been posted already on Sheptalk, but I can't remember under which thread/topic. Shopper's World opened (I believe) in 1960--I still remember what a big "night out" event it was for our family to go shopping there. It was 'da Region's first big-box store, followed soon after by TOPPS, on the south end of the same lot.

Larry R






If I remember correctly, Shopper World and Topps were not opened for business on Sundays, in accordance with the Blue Laws. Topps challenged that sometime in the 1960's and the manager was promptly arrested. Soon after, the Blue Laws began to fall and stores were then opened on Sundays. A different era back then, not without its problems such as discrimination, but over the years, we've both made progress on some issues but certainly lost a lot of good along the way as well.

Edited by - duane on 04/10/2010 09:39:29
Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  08:08:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I remember going to Shopper World on a Sunday with my parents and buying a Jonathon Winters LP which I still have. Shoppers World was made up of individual venders I think. My favorite was the guy who sold records cheaper than Millicans. I think he just had LPs. Topps was just south and I think ran them out of business. I saw Jayne Mansfield and 007's Aston-Martin there once. Jayne must have been desperate for income at that point.
Go to Top of Page

nitti

66 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  10:34:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Plummer

I think I remember going to Shopper World on a Sunday with my parents and buying a Jonathon Winters LP which I still have. Shoppers World was made up of individual venders I think. My favorite was the guy who sold records cheaper than Millicans. I think he just had LPs. Topps was just south and I think ran them out of business. I saw Jayne Mansfield and 007's Aston-Martin there once. Jayne must have been desperate for income at that point.

We need to wait for others to weigh in, but I remember when it opened. It set the business model for the k-marts of the world.It was the death of the department store. Cheap building - broken into sections by product. Almost completely self service. (donut stand across from cashiers - our treat for being "good" in the store)

You may be remembering the end - they might have run in a flea market format before they completely closed.

Also Topps burned down while Shoppers World was still there. I don't think they rebuilt - but can't remember.
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  10:48:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree. Shoppers world was like an early Kmart. It was only after Shopper's world closed that it became a flea market. Topps did burn down, but I believe it was rebuilt and re-opened as Topps, and I believe that ultimately it did run Shoppers World out of business. Remember when Shopper's world put up all those tall billboards on the south end of their parking lot to try to shield the view of Topps - like people wouldn't know it was there?

On another note - I've seen a few folks refer to Shopper's World as Shopper's Fair (I've done it myself and had to make edits). In other parts of the country (as in MN where I now live) it was Shoppers Fair, perhaps another division, but I'm not really sure. They were very similar stores.
Go to Top of Page

Saito_56

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  12:33:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitti

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Plummer

I think I remember going to Shopper World on a Sunday with my parents and buying a Jonathon Winters LP which I still have. Shoppers World was made up of individual venders I think. My favorite was the guy who sold records cheaper than Millicans. I think he just had LPs. Topps was just south and I think ran them out of business. I saw Jayne Mansfield and 007's Aston-Martin there once. Jayne must have been desperate for income at that point.

We need to wait for others to weigh in, but I remember when it opened. It set the business model for the k-marts of the world.It was the death of the department store. Cheap building - broken into sections by product. Almost completely self service. (donut stand across from cashiers - our treat for being "good" in the store)

You may be remembering the end - they might have run in a flea market format before they completely closed.

Also Topps burned down while Shoppers World was still there. I don't think they rebuilt - but can't remember.




My wife worked at Shoppers World in 1971, and it was still like a K-Mart. I think it was shortly afterwards that it started to fall apart and went to the flea market style.
I don't recall the fire at Topps, but I do know that I had a part time job there after returning from the Army in 1970. Money was needed, and I worked a few part time jobs to get back on our feet. The Army didn't pay very well in 1969 or 1970.

Rather be living in Indiana
Go to Top of Page

nitti

66 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  18:22:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saito_56

quote:
Originally posted by nitti

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Plummer

I think I remember going to Shopper World on a Sunday with my parents and buying a Jonathon Winters LP which I still have. Shoppers World was made up of individual venders I think. My favorite was the guy who sold records cheaper than Millicans. I think he just had LPs. Topps was just south and I think ran them out of business. I saw Jayne Mansfield and 007's Aston-Martin there once. Jayne must have been desperate for income at that point.

We need to wait for others to weigh in, but I remember when it opened. It set the business model for the k-marts of the world.It was the death of the department store. Cheap building - broken into sections by product. Almost completely self service. (donut stand across from cashiers - our treat for being "good" in the store)

You may be remembering the end - they might have run in a flea market format before they completely closed.

Also Topps burned down while Shoppers World was still there. I don't think they rebuilt - but can't remember.




My wife worked at Shoppers World in 1971, and it was still like a K-Mart. I think it was shortly afterwards that it started to fall apart and went to the flea market style.
I don't recall the fire at Topps, but I do know that I had a part time job there after returning from the Army in 1970. Money was needed, and I worked a few part time jobs to get back on our feet. The Army didn't pay very well in 1969 or 1970.

Rather be living in Indiana

OK gang - I need more help. My wife used to go to Tittle's a meat market. I remember the name not the place. She says it was next to Shopper's World. Anyone remember??
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  19:02:23  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I remember a Tittle's on Hohman across from Harrison Park. I didn't know there was ever one by Shopper's World.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  21:17:08  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I don't recall on there either. Was it a Tittles store on the NW corner of US 30 and Indianapolis? There was one at US 20 & IN 51.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  00:52:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This probably wont help but in the fourties, Joe Tittle had a store on State St close to Calumet I think. It was a cream colored store front with a red lettered sign. I worked at Topps and dont think there was anything on that corner except Topps and Shoppers World.
Does anyone remember Big Top? Tom W
Go to Top of Page

LegulusQ

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  04:13:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember riding my bike from Hessville out to Shopper's World to buy the Beatles' Yesterday and Today album the day it came out (at least in da Region)! Still didn't get the "Butcher" cover, though. I still have my original copy. I never did try to steam off the cover.....Hmmm.....nah, probably just ruin a vintage record!

LegulusQ
Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  09:00:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking that prior to Shopper's World which was a discount store there was another business in that building which was made up of individual vendors renting space. I seem to recall that prices were cheaper in Topps than Shoppers Worldby quite a bit. There was a Shoppers Fair store in Gary at one point. These stores are what killed downtown Hammond since they were not surrounded by railroad tracks and offered free easy parking.
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  15:58:34  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Although I think it may have been a turning point in shopping outside of downtown, I think the nail in the coffin was River Oaks.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Joel357

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  17:48:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's just a shame they tore down all those beuatiful buildings.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Z

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  18:37:16  Show Profile  Click to see Jim Z's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

I think this is my 2nd post on here...just joined yesterday thanks to the Tomster. I have fond memories of River Oaks when it first opened (Ok shoot me...lol). Actually it was a beautiful open air mall. Didn't they have a Kroch and Bretano's Book Store? Anyhoo, I remember in the late 1960s going to free sumer concerts at night on I think Tuesdays and sitting on the steps somewhere in the middle of the mall....I guess it was a marketing ploy but it has stuck with me all of these years. Best, jim

quote:
Originally posted by BobK

Although I think it may have been a turning point in shopping outside of downtown, I think the nail in the coffin was River Oaks.

Bob




Jim Zacny
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  19:00:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was VanTils at 30 & 41 (Indy Blvd.) Soon to be Strack & VanTils.
Go to Top of Page

Joel357

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  19:11:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim Z, there was a Kroch and Brentanos at River Oaks and me being from a technical family, we used to go to Allied Radio. Anyone remember EDI? Neil Barry owned it.
Go to Top of Page

Paddy

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  21:29:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Tom J

I remember a Tittle's on Hohman across from Harrison Park./quote]
Yep. It was kitty corner from the library on the south end of Harrison Park.

I worked at that Tittle's during my Sophomore and Junior years at Bishop Noll. Thinking back to those days, I remember an incident that could have completely changed my life.

After bagging groceries and stocking shelves, I graduated to the produce department. Tittle's got their produce from a Hammond wholesaler who sent a truck to the Water Street produce market twice a week to pick up produce for the five Tittle's stores. Being an adventurous kid, I asked the driver if I could ride with him and see what the Water Street market looked like. He left at 3 AM, but the Hammond store was his first stop and I reckoned that I could get back in time for school.

On the appointed day, I arrived at the wholesalers to ride along, only to find that the driver had failed to show up. The owner looked at me and asked, "Can you drive this truck?" Having just turned 16, my driver's license was a mere three months old. But I had learned to drive on a stick shift car, and I figured that the truck was just a larger version of my brother-in-law's Nash Rambler where he taught me to drive. So I said,"Sure."

I got the thing into first gear and pulled out of the garage like I knew what I was doing, and the subsequent gear grinding occurred after I was out of earshot. There was no traffic at that time of morning, and I feeling like an experienced trucker by the time I got onto State Street and proceeded north.

My experience at the Water Street market is a story unto itself, but the potential life-changing event occurred on my way back to Hammond.

Being an "experienced trucker" when I arrived at the market, I figured that the trip back would be even easier. But I had no idea about how a truck loaded with 16 tons of produce changed the braking distance.

As I was driving south on State Street, I approached a red light and began braking - just as a school crossing guard was sending a group of grade school kids into my path. I jammed the brakes as hard as I could. Fortunately, I stopped before I hit anyone, but I was close enough that the kids had literally disappeared from my vision over the hood.

I lucked out that day. I got the truck back to the Tittle's on Hohman and the produce wholesaler had a replacement driver to finish the route. But when I recall that moment, I wonder what would have happened to my life if I had crashed into those kids.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page
Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07