New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  09:35:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hello Ken, I have a younger sister (17 mos.). I graduated mid term '63 and she June '63. Her name is Marsha.
Go to Top of Page

James Hunt

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  19:19:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very fun site, brought back a lot of great memories, thanks to all those that have contributed.

I grew up in Hessville on California Avenue very near Hessville Park, lived there from 1956 until 1973.

Summers were the best times. Would leave the house in the morning and not come back until dinner. I would often get a dime from my mom and go to the Hessville Park pool. Does anyone remember those baskets you would keep your street clothes in and the metal pin you would pin to your bathing suit with the basket number on it?

Jim Hunt
OLPH 67
Morton 71 (just barely LOL)
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  21:32:11  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James Hunt

Very fun site, brought back a lot of great memories, thanks to all those that have contributed.

I grew up in Hessville on California Avenue very near Hessville Park, lived there from 1956 until 1973.

Summers were the best times. Would leave the house in the morning and not come back until dinner. I would often get a dime from my mom and go to the Hessville Park pool. Does anyone remember those baskets you would keep your street clothes in and the metal pin you would pin to your bathing suit with the basket number on it?

Jim Hunt
OLPH 67
Morton 71 (just barely LOL)

Welcome, Jim. Glad to have you with us.

Hope you will share lots of memories with us.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  09:21:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome James, I am sure you will know some who post here.
Still none from my time, OPM '63. Although I know Tom J.

Go to Top of Page

peaclver

2 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  10:16:42  Show Profile  Visit peaclver's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello! I'm a resident of Hammond all my life (now 57). I'm a heart-lung transplant survivor and fancy myself a writer.

I've written two books that in some way or another speak of the Calumet Region and Hammond. One is 'Vision of the Field: A Baseball Fantasy.' and the other one is 'In the Company of Legends."

I'm working on a couple of other books and one is planned as a more comprehensive look at eh Calumet Region on it's people. If you have any thoughts and stories on the 'Region,' please e-mail them to me. It would help in my research trmendously.
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  11:05:52  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peaclver

Hello! I'm a resident of Hammond all my life (now 57). I'm a heart-lung transplant survivor and fancy myself a writer.

I've written two books that in some way or another speak of the Calumet Region and Hammond. One is 'Vision of the Field: A Baseball Fantasy.' and the other one is 'In the Company of Legends."

I'm working on a couple of other books and one is planned as a more comprehensive look at eh Calumet Region on it's people. If you have any thoughts and stories on the 'Region,' please e-mail them to me. It would help in my research trmendously.

Hey, Joe, welcome. I have visited your blog a few times and have left comments. You and I have exchanged Emails. I believe it was you who confirmed for me that Bowl Era had been torn down, and you sent me some pictures.

Glad you have joined us.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

peaclver

2 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  22:39:42  Show Profile  Visit peaclver's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the welcome, Tom. I haven't blogged as much as I would have liked to. I've been busy with taking care of my Mom and taking care of the house, doing some fixing up and all. Tiring work, I plan to rest this weekend.
Go to Top of Page

nitti

66 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  14:30:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tough getting through these old threads.

The tavern across from the Boilermakers has been Porter's since at least the mid 60's.

There was a National Foods or Krogers on the corner across from Flick's (one was on the corner of 173rd & Kennedy, the other 165th - I can't remember which was where). It's a hubcap store now.

The Laundromat was one of the first Norge coin laundries to open in the area, but I thought it opened in the late 50's. The owner or his son - Tommy Thomas had muscular dystrophy or something similar and rode a 3 wheeled bike to and from the laundromat.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the 3rd storefront in the Flick's buiding had Dr.White's office in the 50's where I was taken as a child.

No one mentioned it, but the "new" Flick's was once "The Nook" a
small restaurant.

Edited by - nitti on 12/22/2009 14:57:08
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  17:34:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Nitti -- Here they are. The store at 165th and Kennedy was National. The one at 173rd and Kennedy was Gregory's. Tommy had Cerebral Palsy. And remember that Dick's Grocery (we called it Pop's) was in the same building as Flick's. Also, the Nook was either the end or the beginning of the bus route. I never was quite sure which.
Ken...
Go to Top of Page

nitti

66 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  20:45:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvcogs

Welcome Nitti -- Here they are. The store at 165th and Kennedy was National. The one at 173rd and Kennedy was Gregory's. Tommy had Cerebral Palsy. And remember that Dick's Grocery (we called it Pop's) was in the same building as Flick's. Also, the Nook was either the end or the beginning of the bus route. I never was quite sure which.
Ken...

hey, thanks. I forgot all about Gregory's.
Might as well complete the set with the A&P across the street from Fifields.(the original one in the 50's - the one on 165th was the second one)
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  20:53:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Correct on the A&P. My neighbor, J.C. Yates was the manager there. His son, Frank, graduated from Morton in '61. Mr Yates died last month here in Ky.

Roger, OPM '63
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  21:30:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a look at part of the old A&P. The picture is from the Purdue Calumet Archives. It's just a part of the building. I'm not sure what the ladder truck is doing. See the Pin Bowl in the background.
Ken...

Go to Top of Page

nitti

66 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2009 :  16:00:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here's a look at part of the old A&P. The picture is from the Purdue Calumet Archives. It's just a part of the building. I'm not sure what the ladder truck is doing. See the Pin Bowl in the background.
Ken...

This triggers another set of memories - probably only " central Hessvillites" from around 169th will remember.

About the mid fifties - I was 5 or 6, our Carolina St."gang" raided the candy aisle at A & P. We walked there and everyone "lifted" a piece of candy. When the cop appeared at the door, I ended up with a rather sore behind. (I remember who squealed, but I won't tell).

At any rate,the gang met behind Potter's field at/in a big metal hopper used to fill railroad gondola's - I guess with sand mined there - but there was nothing to show how they got the sand into the hopper.

This thing was 3-4 stories high and one kid would have to pull a lever to open the discharge shoot so we could climb inside and pull ourselves up on a cable to look over the top.(can you imagine this now - in the era of "play dates" and parental control).

This hopper was about a block east of "Monkey Hill" - part of the short cut home from OLPH, and about 2 blocks west of "Sticker Stadium", our ballfield in the east end of potter's field next to Parrish. (Potter's field was the east half of the cemetary that extended from Arizona - across from the original Fab to Parrish, along 169th)

Does anyone else remember the hopper, Monkey Hill or Sticker Stadium?
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2009 :  17:06:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These A&P pix have been posted about a year ago and actually won my mother a bet. Someone had bet her that there was no A&P ever on Kennedy. It just so happened these pix were posted around that time and I made hard copies of them to give her the proof she needed.

Monkey Hill!! Yes, that was one of the landmarks that is still used in credential-questioning aliens from space today that claim that they are old "Hessvillelites". I lived in the 6600 block of Arizona and Monkey Hill was a big-time sledding resort area for us in the winter and "King-of-the-Hill arena in the summer.
The only hopper I remember though, was a coaling tower that was closer to IHB roundhouse. It was a huge concrete structure, home to about 200 million pigeons inside, that we used to climb up into. "Pro2am" took some good pix of it and posted them a while back. It has since been torn down.
I don't remember anything named "Sticker Stadium" although a lot of places I would walk thru certainly could have won that name....Cj
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2009 :  19:26:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FloridaKelly

[quote]Originally posted by golfwidow

Hi Tom, thanks for trying to help. We lived on 171st and Jefferson, near Edison School and Dairy Belle. We live in Crown Point now. We just drove through Hammond yesterday, my parents are visiting from Florida, and we took a trip dodwn memory lane, haha. We still can't remember the name of that grocery store. It was on the NW corner of 175th and Calumet . Thanks again.

I just came across this post from March of 2009. Yep, Model Foods was the store, and here's a cool ad from the Hammond Times in 1955.

Larry r

Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2009 :  19:41:30  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My uncle's garage, Hood's Sales & Service, was right across the street from Model.
Go to Top of Page

Pro2am

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2009 :  23:06:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Alcos were the greatest diesels. Smoked like a steamer and had a beautiful "chug/whine" sound. GE locomotives are direct descendents of them.

Mike Rapchak Jr.

===============================

quote:
Originally posted by m10bob

Yeah, Bill, I too am a railroad nut, and have belonged to the Monon Historical and Technical Society, and a few other clubs, (PRR, B&O, NYC, Mil.Rd, etc).
When dad was playing army in Korea, we lived with my grandparents near the old B&O yards in Haughville, (west Indy), and grandpa would walk me to those yards so I could wave at the freshly painted steamers at the roundhouses.
These roads were not dieselized till 1956, (except the Monon which was all diesel by 1947).
I too enjoyed hearing the trains all night, only a few short blocks away, and in fact, if Shep really disliked trains as much as he claims, why did he spend another 3 or 4 episodes speaking fondly of his rides on the trains ??
In one program, IIRC, he describes a very pleasant ride on the Super Chief to the west coast.
Since he was a pilot, he DID have other options..
As for diesels in Sheps day being smoky, well, yeah, early diesels were a LOT smokier, especially the Alco's, and NW2's, (both introduced in the 30's..)
Baldwin and Fairbanks Morse also had early entries, and these were all considered "very smoky".
In fact, one was so smoky, it was labelled "an honorary steamer" by the railroaders themselves. (I believe these were the Alco's).

In Hoc Agricula Conc
In Est Spittle Louk

Go to Top of Page

nitti

66 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  07:03:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pro2am

The Alcos were the greatest diesels. Smoked like a steamer and had a beautiful "chug/whine" sound. GE locomotives are direct descendents of them.

Mike Rapchak Jr.

quote:
Originally posted by m10bob

Yeah, Bill, I too am a railroad nut, and have belonged to the Monon Historical and Technical Society, and a few other clubs, (PRR, B&O, NYC, Mil.Rd, etc).
When dad was playing army in Korea, we lived with my grandparents near the old B&O yards in Haughville, (west Indy), and grandpa would walk me to those yards so I could wave at the freshly painted steamers at the roundhouses.
These roads were not dieselized till 1956, (except the Monon which was all diesel by 1947).
I too enjoyed hearing the trains all night, only a few short blocks away, and in fact, if Shep really disliked trains as much as he claims, why did he spend another 3 or 4 episodes speaking fondly of his rides on the trains ??
In one program, IIRC, he describes a very pleasant ride on the Super Chief to the west coast.
Since he was a pilot, he DID have other options..
As for diesels in Sheps day being smoky, well, yeah, early diesels were a LOT smokier, especially the Alco's, and NW2's, (both introduced in the 30's..)
Baldwin and Fairbanks Morse also had early entries, and these were all considered "very smoky".
In fact, one was so smoky, it was labelled "an honorary steamer" by the railroaders themselves. (I believe these were the Alco's).

In Hoc Agricula Conc
In Est Spittle Louk

The last working steam engines I saw were on the rail line that cuts Hessville in half at Grand/Parrish/Arizona/169th/Kennedy.
We'd see them sitting behind Monkey Hill waiting for a signal.

A working steam locomotive is a beautiful site.
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  07:49:07  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

The last working steam engines I saw were on the rail line that cuts Hessville in half at Grand/Parrish/Arizona/169th/Kennedy.

It sure is!
Go to Top of Page

Joel357

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  09:06:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob K,

My dad and grandfather's shop was at 7331 Calumet Avenue, down the street from Model Food Store. I remember my dad used to take the service vehicles to your uncle Dave. Were you also related to the guys who owned Hood and Williams body shop? I remember Fehring Jewlers and Mr Fehring was a nice guy. I was wondering if you saw the movie clip that I put on here?

Joel
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  09:45:59  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Joel, Dave is my cousin, his Dad Len is my uncle. Len, by the way, is 99 years old and after a couple of recent small strokes was put into a home. He was living with Dave this past year and before that was living by himself and still driving. When his girlfriend and dog passed away two years ago I think he gave up and started going down hill. We saw him last January here in FL with Dave and he was doing quite well considering his age.

George Hood was Len's brother and Dave's uncle. My Mother and Dave's Mother were sisters.

I'm not sure if I saw your movie clip. What was your grandfather's shop?
Go to Top of Page

Joel357

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  10:23:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My grandfather's shop was Miner Electronics (Miner TV) at 173rd place and Calumet.
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  13:41:18  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I remember the store but I don't recall ever going in. I was young and broke then, now I'm old. I came into this world with nothing and I have most of it left.
Go to Top of Page

Pro2am

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  20:56:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That rail line was the Nickel Plate Road. The NKP still used steam into the late 1950s. I recall seeing one or two of their steam switchers at the Indpls. Boulevard crossing.

In 1964-65 the Norfolk & Western acquired the NKP. In 1982-83 the N&W merged with the Southern Railway; the line then became what it is today: the Norfolk Southern Railway.

Mike Rapchak Jr.

[/quote]The last working steam engines I saw were on the rail line that cuts Hessville in half at Grand/Parrish/Arizona/169th/Kennedy.

[/quote]
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  22:38:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The double tracks of the Nickel Plate ran behind my Maryland Avenue home and through what we called the Farmer's field (parallel to 173rd and then across Parrish and on across Kennedy Ave.----we walked the tracks from our neighborhood (Grand Park) to Hessville to go to the Ace on Saturdays.
quote:
Originally posted by Pro2am

That rail line was the Nickel Plate Road. The NKP still used steam into the late 1950s. I recall seeing one or two of their steam switchers at the Indpls. Boulevard crossing.

In 1964-65 the Norfolk & Western acquired the NKP. In 1982-83 the N&W merged with the Southern Railway; the line then became what it is today: the Norfolk Southern Railway.

Mike Rapchak Jr.

[/quote]
[/quote]
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  11:36:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello gang -- I need your help on this one. I'm corresponding with a 1956 graduate of Morton who believes Edison school was a high school in the 1950s. As far as I remember, it was always an elementary/junior high school with the eighth grade being the highest. What are your comments on this one?
Thanks.
Ken
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  12:52:46  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hello gang -- I need your help on this one. I'm corresponding with a 1956 graduate of Morton who believes Edison school was a high school in the 1950s. As far as I remember, it was always an elementary/junior high school with the eighth grade being the highest. What are your comments on this one?
Thanks.
Ken

I have never heard of it being anything other than K thru 8th grade either, Ken.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  13:11:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The site, "Hammond Schools Past and Present" has this listing for Edison:

Thomas A. Edison Elementary School- Founded in 1920 in a building located at 625 Spruce Street. New structure built at 7025 Madison Avenue in 1937-38, then demolished in 1991. Present structure built in 1992.

Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  14:24:55  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Irving school went thru 9th.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  08:16:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I grew up in north Hammond and Hessville. The high schools I remember were, Clark, Hammond High, Tech, Noll, Morton and Gavit.
I couldn't start to name all the elementry schools.

Roger D.
Go to Top of Page

EastHammondBoomer

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  08:51:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Region Rats!

I have been reading all these great posts for a few years now but never registered until now.

I can't discuss too much at the moment but I have attached a link to some great old memories of Downtown Hammond back from the 60's.

I left Hammond after living there for 38 years (1959-97). I know live in Louisville (loo-uh-vuhl) KY but I try to make it north as often as possible.

I hope this link works and thanks for all the reminders of a great place in time and space - Hammond, Indiana!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=63105644
Go to Top of Page

nitti

66 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  09:35:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Roger D

I grew up in north Hammond and Hessville. The high schools I remember were, Clark, Hammond High, Tech, Noll, Morton and Gavit.
I couldn't start to name all the elementry schools.

Roger D.

Could he be remembering Gary Edison - which I think is now called Lake Station?
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  10:30:33  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Edison School in Hammond was never a high school.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

EastHammondBoomer

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  07:12:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it's snowing pretty good here in Fort Knox - I may need to shut down soon. Before I go I wanted to post a link I found which contains some pictures of Hammond landmarks. If you browse around you can spot some old gems.

http://www.roadsidepeek.com/roadusa/midwest/mwsign/mwsignother/index10.htm

Thanks,
Dave
Go to Top of Page

EastHammondBoomer

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  07:38:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob,

I almost forgot about this link I found which shows the old Edison School. I have a niece who attended it before the reconstruction.

http://hhs59.com/edison.htm

There are some nice vintage photos of the school.
Thanks,
Dave
quote:
Originally posted by BobK

Edison School in Hammond was never a high school.

Bob

Go to Top of Page

EastHammondBoomer

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  08:18:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the risk over being too pushy, I want to post this link about Hammond 1960's from...ugh...YouTube. I'm not a fan of the policy at YouTube which allows vulgar and profane language in the comments but from time to time I enjoy viewing videos of special things which are no longer around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZxgCl_gu8g

Again, please excuse me if someone else has already posted this link.

BTW, does anyone remember Zayer's discount store or Burger's grocery store. How 'bout Almira's bakery across from Lafayette School at Sibley and Howard? Great kolaches!!!!!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  08:42:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had an aunt who worked at Zayers and we did all of our grocery shopping at Burgers.

Roger D. OPM '63
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  12:29:37  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Richard Barnes is a 1959 graduate of Hammond High and very active in the history of Hammond.

I worked at Burger's on Calumet for about 6 months before getting a job at Sears on State St.

Edited by - BobK on 01/07/2010 12:31:29
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  12:49:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heres one that I bet NOBODY remembers. On the corner of 149th street and Ash Avenue in North Hammond, there wasa red brick building that housed a business called Tidy Didee Diaper Service. Across the street was Vivians Bakery. That was the only place we cared about when we went trick-or-treating. Tom W
Go to Top of Page

EastHammondBoomer

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  13:19:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, yes, Sears on State St! I remember seeing all the color TV sets as you walked in the left entrance. Downstairs was the paints, the catalog department was all the way in the back. If memory serves me correctly, Sears had their own little automotive garage located across the alley, sorta like an an agle from the back of Lord Shoes. In the 70's it felt weird being in S&J's records after Sears vacated that building.
quote:

Richard Barnes is a 1959 graduate of Hammond High and very active in the history of Hammond.

I worked at Burger's on Calumet for about 6 months before getting a job at Sears on State St.

Go to Top of Page

EastHammondBoomer

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  13:28:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom,

Nope - I can't say I remember either one of those places. I used to have basketball practice at Irving's gym since my school, St. Joe's-All Saints, didn't have a gym anymore.

I know these places may not be from the same area, but do you or anyone else remember Varsity Pizza, Barton's drugstore/grocery or Supreme Bakery (on Conky across from Rand McNally - I worked there for a few years)?
Sorry for rambling on, but I also remember taking the 48B bus from Michigan & Columbia to Downtown Hammond and it would go through a neighborhood where Riverside Elementary School stood. This ws before Turner Park Apartments.
quote:
Originally posted by tom w

Heres one that I bet NOBODY remembers. On the corner of 149th street and Ash Avenue in North Hammond, there wasa red brick building that housed a business called Tidy Didee Diaper Service. Across the street was Vivians Bakery. That was the only place we cared about when we went trick-or-treating. Tom W

Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  15:36:30  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Varsity Pizza rings a bell but I can't place it. I remember Barton's and I'm surprised that I don't recall the bakery unless it came after me as I went to Wallace school and lived on Highland St just off of Harrison and must have walked past it whenever I didn't cut through Conkey Plant (Rand McNally).

Bob
Go to Top of Page

EastHammondBoomer

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  16:51:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Sorry, I referred to that bakery as Supreme but now that I think about it, it was Superior Bakery.

You mentioned going to Wallace School. After I got out of the navy and was about to return to college, I worked for a great guy named Rich Broz. His family owned and he now owns Broz Moving and Storage. He used to live on Calumet near Atlas Transmission at Calumet& 165th. Anyway, I remember him showing me a picture of his class back from the 50's at Wallace School. Did you know him?
quote:

Varsity Pizza rings a bell but I can't place it. I remember Barton's and I'm surprised that I don't recall the bakery unless it came after me as I went to Wallace school and lived on Highland St just off of Harrison and must have walked past it whenever I didn't cut through Conkey Plant (Rand McNally).

Bob

Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  17:13:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob; I didnt know richard but II knew a Matty Broz. Musta been a brother. He lived on Calumet one block north of 165yh. Tom W
Go to Top of Page

EastHammondBoomer

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  17:50:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom,

Yes, Matt was Rich's older brother. Sadly, Matt passed away. Both Matt and Rich were and are some of the hardest workers you'd ever meet.
quote:
Originally posted by tom w

Bob; I didnt know richard but II knew a Matty Broz. Musta been a brother. He lived on Calumet one block north of 165yh. Tom W

Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  18:01:06  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Man, when you are talking Calumet & 165th Street, you are talking about my neighborhood. I lived two short blocks east of there on Woodward Avenue.

I don't remember any folks with the last name "Broz" on Calumet, but I didn't know everyone, of course. I did deliver papers for the Hammond Times in 1962 and 1963, and I don't remember any customers by that name.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  19:35:07  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
"Originally posted by EastHammondBoomer

Bob,

Sorry, I referred to that bakery as Supreme but now that I think about it, it was Superior Bakery.

You mentioned going to Wallace School. After I got out of the navy and was about to return to college, I worked for a great guy named Rich Broz. His family owned and he now owns Broz Moving and Storage. He used to live on Calumet near Atlas Transmission at Calumet& 165th. Anyway, I remember him showing me a picture of his class back from the 50's at Wallace School. Did you know him?"

I didn't know him Dave and we move to the north side in 52 and I transferred to Lincoln for a year and a half before going to Irving.
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  19:39:15  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave (EastHammondBoomer):

I sent you a private message via this website. It should have come to you as an Email. Did you get it?

I would love to either talk with you or exchange Emails. Just the "do you know so and so" type of stuff that would be boring to the members here.

I am only about two hours west of you, if you live in Louisville, so maybe we could even hook up for a little face to face reminiscing.

What high school did you go to? What year were you graduated?

Tom
Go to Top of Page

EastHammondBoomer

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  06:22:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Tom,

Sorry I didn't get back until now. I usually don't use my computer after certain hours because my wife tells me I need to spend more time with my kids and less with the keyboard. My job (AutoCAD drafter) dictates I should spend hours in front of a computer.

I didn't seem to receive your email. I even checked my spam filter and I didn't see anything. To answer your questions, I attended Bishop Noll for 8th and freshman year then went to Hammond High. I graduated in '77. Later, I went to Ball State for a year, IVY Tech Gary for 1 year, South Suburban College (South Holland) for 2 years then finally Purdue Cal for 1 year.

I wouldn't mind exchanging emails to see if we have any friends in common. Right now my budget probably couldn't allow me to travel much ever since I lost my job last January. My current job has been a major pay cut.

Thanks for your interest and kind words about my posts. I think I can safely say I share a lot of the love and sentiments others here have for what used to be our beloved Hammond.

Dave
quote:
Originally posted by Tom J

I sent you a private message via this website. It should have come to you as an Email. Did you get it?

I would love to either talk with you or exchange Emails. Just the "do you know so and so" type of stuff that would be boring to the members here.

I am only about two hours west of you, if you live in Louisville, so maybe we could even hook up for a little face to face reminiscing.

Tom

Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  06:35:38  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EastHammondBoomer

Hey Tom,

Sorry I didn't get back until now. I usually don't use my computer after certain hours because my wife tells me I need to spend more time with my kids and less with the keyboard. My job (AutoCAD drafter) dictates I should spend hours in front of a computer.

I didn't seem to receive your email. I even checked my spam filter and I didn't see anything. To answer your questions, I attended Bishop Noll for 8th and freshman year then went to Hammond High. I graduated in '77. Later, I went to Ball State for a year, IVY Tech Gary for 1 year, South Suburban College (South Holland) for 2 years then finally Purdue Cal for 1 year.

I wouldn't mind exchanging emails to see if we have any friends in common. Right now my budget probably couldn't allow me to travel much ever since I lost my job last January. My current job has been a major pay cut.

Thanks for your interest and kind words about my posts. I think I can safely say I share a lot of the love and sentiments others here have for what used to be our beloved Hammond.

Dave
quote:
Originally posted by Tom J

Tom

I'll tell our host, Mr. Jim Clavin, that Emails do not appear to be working. He thought he had the problem fixed, but I guess not.

Tom
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page