Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

Nannerz

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2009 :  18:15:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I, too, lived on Parkway North and Delaware, on the corner, right across from Lost Park. I spent so much time there. In the summer, it was with the Parks and Recreation Department, playing games and making crafts, and in the winter, it was iceskating when they flooded the park. I have wonderful memories of Hessville. It was a different world then and everything seemed so "safe." Those times are gone forever, I am afraid. They only exist now in our memories.

Nannerz
Go to Top of Page

Pro2am

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2009 :  20:11:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nannerz,

Although we didn't move to Hessvile (from Woodmar) until ealy 1962, I recall that it was still a very nice, "safe" town. Our park was Hessville Park since we lived just south of it on California Ave. I spent my teen and young-adult years there and have great memories of those times. I moved away in 1974 (back to Woodmar) but returned in 1977 (to the Georgetown Homes complex at Cline and 169th). Lived there until 1985. Again, another great Hessville era for me. Unfortunately it wasn't much longer that things started going downhill in the town. To this day I still miss it.

Mike Rapchak Jr.

quote:
Originally posted by Nannerz

I, too, lived on Parkway North and Delaware, on the corner, right across from Lost Park. I spent so much time there. In the summer, it was with the Parks and Recreation Department, playing games and making crafts, and in the winter, it was iceskating when they flooded the park. I have wonderful memories of Hessville. It was a different world then and everything seemed so "safe." Those times are gone forever, I am afraid. They only exist now in our memories.

Nannerz

Go to Top of Page

cindyhr

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  17:36:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a new comer!!! First time I've ever done this so bare with me please. I was born and raised on the 2700 block of 162nd Place. I went to Harding School from 1952 until 1961 and went to Hammond Technical Vocational High School. I moved away to Calumet Township in 1965. My sister still owns that house.
I remember walking to Harding down Kennedy Ave. to Cleveland street and on to school as a child.
I remember ice skating at the little pond at Lost Park and that was where I learned to do flips on the bars around the park. Got many bumps and bruises. Sometimes we would come that way coming home from school and then stop at the Nook Restaurant for a cherry coke.
My sister worked for the IHB railroad until she retired a few years ago. She graduated from Morton HS in 1961.
My Mom worked at a cleaners that was where Lindy's Hardware store is now. I would be out in the yard or playing with a neighbor, and my Mom would come home from work and tell me what I had done that day. It was several years before I knew how she would know what I was doing. Finally she told me that she could see us playing from the plate glass window across the street from the cleaners.
I also have many memories of Hessville Park and the swimming pool. And the carnival every year at St. Catherines Church yard.
I really enjoy reading the comments. Hope they continue. Maybe I'll get in touch with someone I might have known.

Cindy
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  20:13:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum, Cindy.
As you will notice, we're a pretty informal group and the references on this Hammond, IN thread are more about our youth and childhood than they are about Shep. But then he wrote about his youth in Hessville and "da Region" so its all good.

We also tend to wander a bit within a thread, so don't let that worry you. Someone will say something that triggers a thought in someone else...and off we go.

It sounds like you have some real history at Warren G. Harding school and the Hessville area. We'd love to hear your stories.

I hope you enjoy this site. We are all friends here, whether we know each other or not. And so, welcome, friend!
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  20:39:07  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Cindy, what Duane said.

Welcome!

I'm not from the Hessville section of Hammond, but I still enjoy reading the posts as people reminisce about the good old days there. It sounds like life in Hessville was very similar to life in my part of Hammond, over on Woodward Avenue off of 165th Street.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

cindyhr

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  22:20:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Dad was from Greece. He came to the US in 1911. He worked at Inland Steel til he retired in 1963. He always bought a new Ford every 2 years from Rimes Motors in Indiana Harbor, why I don't know cause we seldom went anywhere. He hardly ever let my Mom drive it cause he was afraid she'd scratch his new car.
I remember every Sat. going with him to fill the car up with gas at the Phillips 66 station on Kennedy Ave. across the street from the Dairy Queen. I always got to get me an ice cream cone.
I really loved our neighbor hood back then. We had lots of kids on our block and had a wonderful time. Wish I could find some of those kids today. Maybe I'll get lucky.
Thanks for accepting me into the crowd.
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2009 :  20:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cindy, since you are of Greek Ancestry and part of your family (brother in law) was in the Restaraunt business (if Hot Dog John's qualifies as a restaraunt??), maybe you know this family that was also in the business.

Did you know the Kourus family from East Chicaago? Gus Kourus owned Indiana Restaraunt (at the intersection of Chicago Ave and Indy Blvd...4 corners of E.Chicago) and later also owned Woodmar Restaraunt, and another restaraunt that opened up at the Woodmar mall in its later years. He also owned the Embers Restaraunt in Schererville on HWY 41, near where Lindal Cedar homes used to be.
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2009 :  06:09:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cindy,
Are you familiar with the houses behind (west) of that Dairy Queen? Do the names of Karol, Marilyn, Henry and Dolly ring a bell with you?.......Cj
Go to Top of Page

cindyhr

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2009 :  11:55:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Duane,
No that name is not familiar to me, but I bet my Dad knew them. His nephew, Harry Diamianos, had a little store and coffee house on a side street off of Chicago Ave. in Indiana Harbor. I used to go there with my Dad sometimes and he had the best barbacued lamb in the world!!!! At least I thought so. My Dad used to sit around with all the Greek men, drink coffee or wine, play cards and just shoot the bull. We never went to restaurants to eat out, that wasn't his thing.
I spent a month with my sister last year and we went out to eat several times, but my favorite place was Petro's on 165th and Indianapolis Blvd. on Thurs. they had lamb shank and spaghetti. Yummmm
I've been away for so long it's about like being in another world when I go there.
But I certainly have many many wonderful memories of my childhood.
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

cindyhr

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2009 :  12:01:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi CJ,
Those names don't ring a bell. Do you know what school they might have gone too? I wasn't allowed to wander far away from my neighborhood, except to walk to the 5 & 10 store, or the dairy queen, or the old A&P store. We also walked to Hessville Park to swim in the pool in the summer time.
If they went to Harding School and any of them were my age I might recall them. Do you know?
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2009 :  12:25:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cindy,

My wife, Judy Thomas, lived in the 2700 block of Kenwood, right across the street from the Balogs, Joanne and Marilyn. All of them went to Harding. Judy graduated from Morton in 1959 and Joanne in 1962. I believe Marilyn left school before graduating in 1960. Did you know any of them?

Ken
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2009 :  06:49:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The girls I'm talking about all walked in '67 from Morton, with the exception of Dolly, who was a little younger. Henry, brother to Karol, walked in '64. They lived on Marshall, almost right behind DQ, just a few houses north on the west side of the street. Marilyn lived on Alexander, one block south.
There was a Cindy Foster, who was a little younger, that came around from time to time. She had black hair and could have passed for Greek. This is why I asked......CJ

Edited by - seejay2 on 07/25/2009 06:54:18
Go to Top of Page

cindyhr

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2009 :  14:32:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken,
I definitely remember the name Balog. My sister was 5 years older than me so I'm sure she probably knows all of them. Her name was Patricia Parker. She was a foster sister. My maiden name was Keriacos. My Dad's name was Pete.
I'm going to ask my sister if she remembers them.
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

cindyhr

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2009 :  14:36:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ
My maiden name was Keriacos. I am sure my sister probably knew them cause she graduated from Morton in 61. I was younger by 5 years so I don't remember them. They called me Cynthia back then. Didn't change to Cindy till high school.
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

govenor

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2009 :  20:00:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just discovered this cyber Hessville-Hammond oasis. I grew up in Hessville, Alexander and 170th Street, right across from the old Morton. I attended Morton from K through 12. Married my high school sweetheart (she was from Harding) and divorced my high school sweetheart (well she divorced me). Left the area in 1979 and moved to Arizona I don't know what conversations and sharing of memories has transpired but I wanted to "wade in".
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2009 :  20:57:06  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by govenor

I just discovered this cyber Hessville-Hammond oasis. I grew up in Hessville, Alexander and 170th Street, right across from the old Morton. I attended Morton from K through 12. Married my high school sweetheart (she was from Harding) and divorced my high school sweetheart (well she divorced me). Left the area in 1979 and moved to Arizona I don't know what conversations and sharing of memories has transpired but I wanted to "wade in".

Well, wade away, Gov! Welcome! You ought to fit right in around here with all these Hessville brats. :)

I'm from the "other" part of Hammond, but I still enjoy reading all the posts as the Hessville folks reminisce. I can semi-relate to the things they talk about.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2009 :  20:58:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Welcome aboard gov. It's great to have another Governor. We've been talking about the old home town for a couple years now. Go back and take a look at some of the other threads. There are even some pictures of how it looked in the "good old days." When did you graduate from good ole Oliver P.?
Ken
MHS 1960
Go to Top of Page

govenor

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  12:26:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I graduated from OP Morton in 1967 my sister was class of 1963. I remember Hessville when there was the PinBowl bowling alley, Feifield Drug Store, Janc's Drugs, Ace Theater (before it became the Kennedy, Sip and Bite restaurant (actually greasy spoon dinner) and countless corner bars like every other town in the "Region". I was back last October for a tri-class class reunion and it is true that one can never go back home, because home has changed so much.

I have to admit this is the first time I have done this type of interaction on the net and I am stumbling around trying to reply, how to post and where, with quotes or without, so excuse me if I screw up a little
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  13:22:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't worry about a thing, Steve. I too am a '67 grad and I do remember you. I don't remember having any classes with you, but I remember you. Any questions you have about posting pix or anything, the guys here jump at the chance to help you out.
Best forum I've ever seen........Cj
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  13:36:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve - I second what seejay said. Just ask and we are here to help. Here's a present to you for coming aboard. Does this place look familiar?
Ken

Morton High School
Go to Top of Page

govenor

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  14:10:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for remembering me...I think. Tell me something about you to jog my feeble mind, so I can remember.
quote:
Originally posted by seejay2

Don't worry about a thing, Steve. I too am a '67 grad and I do remember you. I don't remember having any classes with you, but I remember you. Any questions you have about posting pix or anything, the guys here jump at the chance to help you out.
Best forum I've ever seen........Cj

Go to Top of Page

govenor

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  14:16:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heck, I can almost see my house in that picture. That was before they removed the houses just behind the elementary school and made it a teacher's parking lot. You can even make out the lilac bushes next to the school on the southside,behind the portable buildings.

Morton High School
[/quote]
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  14:50:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Heck, I can almost see my house in that picture. That was before they removed the houses just behind the elementary school and made it a teacher's parking lot. You can even make out the lilac bushes next to the school on the southside, behind the portable buildings.
That picture was taken in 1957, while they were still working on the elementary building or right after it was finished.

Ken...
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  22:39:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Ken, thanks for the terrific new photo! (New to me, anyways.)

And welcome, Steve.

Bill

Morton Class of '66

Warren G. Harding Class of '63
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  22:42:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Governor, welcome!
Did you know Irene Berger who lived across the street from Morton---she graduated in 1958, I think. So, she was older than you, but must have been a neighbor.

And, Ken, that is a new-to-our-site picture and a great addition. Thanks.

quote:

Edited by - S C Jones on 07/31/2009 22:44:21
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  23:19:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you would like to see a brief history of that building I put together for the class of 1960 reunion web site, take a look:

Building History

Ken...
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  07:28:39  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That sure was a beautiful building! I can't believe that it would not have been able to stay in service for many more years. Heck, aren't public buildings supposed to last a lot longer than 55 years? They should be good for 100 years.

Tom

Edited by - Tom J on 08/01/2009 07:29:34
Go to Top of Page

cindyhr

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  09:12:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gosh I feel left out. Just because I didn't graduate from Morton, don't leave me out of all this. Surely there's something besides school that we could have in common. Did anyone swim at Hessville pool during the summer? Or maybe take swimming lessons at the Civic Center, or something. Or even better, did anybody graduate from Hammond Tech?
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  10:51:33  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cindyhr

Gosh I feel left out. Just because I didn't graduate from Morton, don't leave me out of all this. Surely there's something besides school that we could have in common. Did anyone swim at Hessville pool during the summer? Or maybe take swimming lessons at the Civic Center, or something. Or even better, did anybody graduate from Hammond Tech?
Cindy

Cindy, please don't think anyone is leaving you out of anything. I didn't go to Morton either (Hammond High Class of '67), and I didn't grow up in Hessville. I still enjoy reading the posts of all of these Hessville and Morton folks, because they were part of Hammond.

There are lots of threads where things are discussed that are not directly Hessville/Morton related. Check those threads out, and post your comments. I even started a thread asking if anyone had any non-Hessville memories to share.

It's just that Shep was from Hessville, and most of the Sheptalk members are from Hessville. We just need to recruit new folks from other parts of Hammond to join us.

Tom

P.S. Tom W went to Tech.

Edited by - Tom J on 08/01/2009 10:52:23
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  22:17:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And don't forget those of us from East Chicago!!
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  06:55:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Steve,
There really isn't much to say except I walked from Morton in '67, but I don't remember ever making contact with you. I hung out with Jim Houghton during school and we even both worked at LTV (Youngstown Sheet & Tube). Here is a pic of Jim and I (I'm on the left) during a Christmas leave from Nam in '69:

Cindy! Don't want you to feel left out, so here's one of Hessville Pool:

...and this is probably my favorite pic of Hessville, at least as I want to remember it:

I can't forget Tom J, so here is downtown Hammond (even though he has seen this one before:

Sorry Duane, the only pix I have of EC is this old firehouse one that used to be on Kennedy Ave...

............Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 08/02/2009 06:56:42
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  09:23:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, CJ....you should be a politician, you had something in that post for almost everyone!!!
Go to Top of Page

cindyhr

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  15:00:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are some great pictures. I wish I had some of those and probably do in amongst my Mom's and Dad's pictures. Gonna have to give them a look through.
Those of downtown Hammond, Hessville and the pool really bring back lots of memories. I broke my toe in the bottom of that swimming pool and had to walk all the way home on it. I'll never forget that. Hurt like Heck!!!!
Downtown Hammond brings back many memories. My favorite place to go was Goldblatt's and Woolworth's. Woolworth's had the best mashed potatoes and gravy that you ever put in your mouth.
Do any of you remember, I think the name of it was Paul's Drive-in. On the corner of Calumet Ave. and 165th. I carhopped there for a little while back in the early 60's.
Did you know Clifford or CJ Woodard from Youngstown Steel? That was my uncle and cousin. My uncle retired from there.
Talk to you later.
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  17:06:43  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Those are some great pictures. I wish I had some of those and probably do in amongst my Mom's and Dad's pictures. Gonna have to give them a look through.
Those of downtown Hammond, Hessville and the pool really bring back lots of memories. I broke my toe in the bottom of that swimming pool and had to walk all the way home on it. I'll never forget that. Hurt like Heck!!!!
Downtown Hammond brings back many memories. My favorite place to go was Goldblatt's and Woolworth's. Woolworth's had the best mashed potatoes and gravy that you ever put in your mouth.
Do any of you remember, I think the name of it was Paul's Drive-in. On the corner of Calumet Ave. and 165th. I carhopped there for a little while back in the early 60's.
Did you know Clifford or CJ Woodard from Youngstown Steel? That was my uncle and cousin. My uncle retired from there.
Talk to you later.
Cindy

Cindy:

I remember Paul's Drive-In, but it was a little further south than you said. It might have been at the corner of 169th and Calumet, but I know it wasn't at the corner of 165th and Calumet, because I lived just a couple blocks from that intersection.

I LOVED Downtown Hammond. My favorite store was Minas's, but Dad worked there, so I was prejudiced, I guess.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  18:54:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember Paul's alright! It was my first job and I only lasted 13 hours there.
I don't remember anyone by the name of Woodard....Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 08/02/2009 18:56:08
Go to Top of Page

cindyhr

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  21:53:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your right about 169th and Calumet. My mistake. I didn't work there to long either.
As for Minas, weren't they on the corner of Hohman and Sibley? Didn't they have escalators? I remember that for sure. When my Mom would be shopping I'd be going up and down on the escalator! How much fun that was! (ha ha)
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

Jim R

61 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  01:19:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My recollections of Minus was they had people operated elevators. The operator used a handle to operate the elevator, stopping on each floor and calling out what departments were on that floor as they opened the doors.

Harding K thru 7
Morton 8 thru 12
Class of 1972
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  07:15:06  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Your right about 169th and Calumet. My mistake. I didn't work there to long either.
As for Minas, weren't they on the corner of Hohman and Sibley? Didn't they have escalators? I remember that for sure. When my Mom would be shopping I'd be going up and down on the escalator! How much fun that was! (ha ha)
Cindy

Cindy:

The Minas store was at 460 State Street, right where that HUGE new auditorium for First Baptist Church now sits. That auditorium occupies the space that was once the location of both the Minas store AND the outdoor parking lot behind the store.

There were no escalators at Minas's, but there was an elevator, as stated by Jim R.

I remember a very polite, extremely classy lady who operated that elevator for years and years, but I don't remember her name.

My dad was a Minas employee for 37 years. I worked there part time off and on during high school and college.

You might be thinking of the Penny's store at the corner of Sibley and Hohman. They were on the NE corner, across Sibley St. from Woolworth's, and they did have an escalator.

There is a thread here about Downtown Hammond, if you would care to check it out.

Tomster

Edited by - Tom J on 08/03/2009 07:20:02
Go to Top of Page

cindyhr

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  18:21:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What store was across the side street from Woolworth's? Can't remember if that was Sibley or State? Anyway, that store was the one with the escalator. It's funny how when you are away for so long you can't remember names of streets or even names of some stores. All those pictures brought back so many memories.
Cindy
PS: Hope I'm not getting alzheimers!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  18:36:47  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

What store was across the side street from Woolworth's? Can't remember if that was Sibley or State? Anyway, that store was the one with the escalator. It's funny how when you are away for so long you can't remember names of streets or even names of some stores. All those pictures brought back so many memories.
Cindy
PS: Hope I'm not getting alzheimers!!!!!

See my post just above yours.
Go to Top of Page

govenor

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  15:13:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not Bill Bucko the extemely intelligent guy that would intellectully challenge Dr. El Nagar (sp?) in physicis class...Thanks for the welcome.
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Bucko

And welcome, Steve.

Bill

Morton Class of '66

Go to Top of Page

govenor

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  15:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I don't remember Irene Beger. Did she live on Marshall, across from the school
quote:
Originally posted by S C Jones

Governor, welcome!
Did you know Irene Berger who lived across the street from Morton---she graduated in 1958, I think. So, she was older than you, but must have been a neighbor.

And, Ken, that is a new-to-our-site picture and a great addition. Thanks.

quote:

Go to Top of Page

govenor

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  15:29:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, we never really crossed paths but I do remember you after seeing the picture. Probably because of Jim Houghton. I knew Jim from playing summer baseball with/against Jim and would bump into him in and out of school. Thanks for the great pictures of Hessville, that is the way I remember it.
quote:
Originally posted by seejay2

Hey Steve,
There really isn't much to say except I walked from Morton in '67, but I don't remember ever making contact with you. I hung out with Jim Houghton during school and we even both worked at LTV (Youngstown Sheet & Tube). Here is a pic of Jim and I (I'm on the left) during a Christmas leave from Nam in '69:

Cindy! Don't want you to feel left out, so here's one of Hessville Pool:

...and this is probably my favorite pic of Hessville, at least as I want to remember it:

I can't forget Tom J, so here is downtown Hammond (even though he has seen this one before:

Sorry Duane, the only pix I have of EC is this old firehouse one that used to be on Kennedy Ave...

............Cj

Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  18:02:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the store reffered to above with the escalator was Pennys. I remember when it opened, my mom was riding the escalator up and got her heel caught and broke her ankle. tom w
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  21:59:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not Bill Bucko the extemely intelligent guy that would intellectully challenge Dr. El Nagar (sp?) in physicis class...Thanks for the welcome.
quote:

And welcome, Steve.

Bill

Morton Class of '66

Yep, that's me. Guess I was what's called a geek, before the word was even invented. Don't remember challenging our physics teacher Dr. El-Naggar much, though. Biology was my favorite class. And you were the big, brawny football star--in the yearbook photos, you look twice as wide as me! Have you read any of Jean Shepherd's stories about his childhood on Cleveland Street? Really funny!! And I hope you're familiar with "A Christmas Story," too.

Bill

Go to Top of Page

Ronbo221

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2009 :  14:42:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am new to the site. Love the pictures of the old Hessville & Hammond. Brings back found memories of my childhood. I went to Harding from 1955 until Jan 1964, as I was what they used to call a mid-termer. Starting at Morton in Jan 1964 and graduated from Morton in June 1968. I remember when the brick Harding had just the one wing that ran along Parish and then they built the addition that ran along 165 and the new gym at the east end of the building. One of my older sisters went to Morton when it was just a 2 year school and then she went to Hammond High for the last 2 years.

Lived in the area until 1987 when I moved to Reno, Nevada where I still live. Try to make it back to the area once or twice a year to see friends and family still in the area.

Look forward to seeing more pictures and hearing more stories of the area.

Ron

Harding 64
Morton 68
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2009 :  19:31:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Irene lived on Marshall across from Morton--toward 171st and maybe on the corner--can't remember exactly.

[quote]Originally posted by govenor

Sorry I don't remember Irene Berger. Did she live on Marshall, across from the school[quote]Originally posted by S C Jones

Governor, welcome!

Grand Park Subdivision 1940-1961 Boondocks of Hessville!
Go to Top of Page

govenor

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  13:58:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should remember her because she lived near Jim Gasaway and I hung around with him in elementary and junior high, but I am drawing a complete blank.
quote:
Originally posted by S C Jones

Yes, Irene lived on Marshall across from Morton--toward 171st and maybe on the corner--can't remember exactly.

[quote]Originally posted by govenor

Sorry I don't remember Irene Berger. Did she live on Marshall, across from the school[quote]Originally posted by S C Jones

Governor, welcome!

Grand Park Subdivision 1940-1961 Boondocks of Hessville!

Go to Top of Page

govenor

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  14:09:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I guess you would have qualified as a geek if such a thing existed then, but to me you and Dennis Dawson were are top intellectuals. Hey, let's go easy on that "looking twice as wide" thing in the yearbook

I have not read Jean Shepherd but like everyone I have seen "A Christmas Story" countless times.
quote:

quote:

quote:

And welcome, Steve.

Bill

Morton Class of '66

Yep, that's me. Guess I was what's called a geek, before the word was even invented. Don't remember challenging our physics teacher Dr. El-Naggar much, though. Biology was my favorite class. And you were the big, brawny football star--in the yearbook photos, you look twice as wide as me! Have you read any of Jean Shepherd's stories about his childhood on Cleveland Street? Really funny!! And I hope you're familiar with "A Christmas Story," too.

Bill

Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2009 :  02:06:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, I guess you would have qualified as a geek if such a thing existed then, but to me you and Dennis Dawson were are top intellectuals. Hey, let's go easy on that "looking twice as wide" thing in the yearbook

I have not read Jean Shepherd but like everyone I have seen "A Christmas Story" countless times

I meant it respectfully, in a tough, athletic sense--same as I'd speak of Stosh, the football tackle, Josephine Cowsnofski's brother (in Jean Shepherd's book Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories)! I know enough not to bad-mouth anyone who can tie me into a knot! According to my '66 Top Hat, you were on the wrestling team, too!

Bill

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page