Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  14:39:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TREASURES FOUND ON YOUTUBE!

“A CHRISTMAS STORY Reality Tour – Hammond NOT Hohman Indiana,”
a 6 minute film with the family who currently own the Shepherd House on Cleveland Street—and featuring the library’s own Mr. Lyttle!

at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS-R1aj4Jh4&NR=1

----------

The Mid-American Heritage Preservation Foundation has posted a 4 minute excerpt of their “Hammond Indiana 1960s Film”

at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZxgCl_gu8g

Very grainy — but of course, a lot better than nothing.

Can you identify the oldies used as background music? I got 4 out of 5. [Answers at the end of this post.]

MAHPF also has other footage of Hammond posted, as well as the great Standard Oil fire of 1955, when the hydroformer blew up (getting first grader me out of bed, 5 miles away. For months after that, I built hydroformers with my good ol’ American Bricks).

----------

There’s an excerpt from “Ollie Hopnoodle’s Haven of Bliss”

at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQLg3rcV-Is

another from “Phantom of the Open Hearth” (featuring the Leg Lamp)

at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzstbfBi6R8

and several from “Great American Fourth of July”

starting with Part 1 at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGfuDoXXWxQ

----------

There are probably several ways to download YouTube videos. I use RealPlayer 11. With it installed on your computer, you don’t even have to open the program; once the video’s finished playing, just position your cursor on the video and RealPlayer makes a tab appear: “Download This Video”.

Answers:
Mason Williams, Classical Gas (1968)
Del Shannon, Runaway (1961)
screechy R&B song, a genre I don’t care for
Soulful Strut, by Holt-Young Unlimited (1968)
Beach Boys, Good Vibrations (1966)

Bill

Warren G. Harding Class of '63
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2008 :  07:35:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent, young man! Excellent!!
I once lived on the next block north of that house (2919 163rd Pl).I was there for 11 years and saw that place every day, but never knew that was the Shepherd home until I blundered into this site, not quite two years ago......Cj
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2008 :  19:33:20  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some very sad news... Bowl Era has either been torn down or will be torn down soon. I got that news from a blog site started by a guy named Joe Kaminski, Jr. Here's the link.

http://joekaminski.wordpress.com/

I lived only two blocks from Bowl Era, and it was always there when I was growing up. I thought the mosaic tile front of the building was pretty cool.

I bowled there many times and was even in a league there on Saturday mornings.

Tom

A 1967 Graduate of Hammond High who cherishes his memories of growing up in the Hammond of the 1950's and 1960's. Bring back those days!

Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2008 :  18:33:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On YouTube there's also a 3 minute excerpt from "Josephine Cosnowski":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNuIY95rLNo

Bill

Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  08:52:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I fondly remember Bowl-Era. When I was in high school, a bunch of us, rather than going to some dance (can't recall whether it was turnabout, homecoming, winter formal or whatever) got drunk (me for the first time ever!) and went bowling to Bowl-Era. Kathy, Nancy, Tom, me and a few others bowled several games. I remember throwing the ball while the gate was down to clear the pins and the ball hitting into the gate. I don't recall who drove home...as there were no "designated drivers" in those days, so the ride must have been scary, but my head was already spinning by then.

Anyway, when I got home...I went straight to bed. My brother's and my bedroom was in the basement. Needless to say, the room was spinning and I got sicker than a Bumphus hound. In the morning, I woke up to find that I had gotten sick in the toilet, the laundry sink and other places. When my mother came down to wake me up, she saw the mess and my hung-over condition. Rather than lecturing me, she said just a few short words that have stayed with me all these years. She simply said (sarcastically)...."good for you, you got what you deserved!"

Whenever I see the Prom sequence from Shep's movie (I think its on Phantom of the Open Hearth - where Ralphie has his first experience with "a triple", gets sick in the bathroom, and then when he gets home has a short talk with his dad) I am always taken back to that night at Bowl-era and my own escapades.

I think that is why Shep's stories and movies are so good...they tell stories that many of us have personally experienced.

So Bowl-Era will be forever in my memories. Sorry to see it go.
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  18:28:36  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by duane

Yes, I fondly remember Bowl-Era. When I was in high school, a bunch of us, rather than going to some dance (can't recall whether it was turnabout, homecoming, winter formal or whatever) got drunk (me for the first time ever!) and went bowling to Bowl-Era. Kathy, Nancy, Tom, me and a few others bowled several games. I remember throwing the ball while the gate was down to clear the pins and the ball hitting into the gate. I don't recall who drove home...as there were no "designated drivers" in those days, so the ride must have been scary, but my head was already spinning by then.

Anyway, when I got home...I went straight to bed. My brother's and my bedroom was in the basement. Needless to say, the room was spinning and I got sicker than a Bumphus hound. In the morning, I woke up to find that I had gotten sick in the toilet, the laundry sink and other places. When my mother came down to wake me up, she saw the mess and my hung-over condition. Rather than lecturing me, she said just a few short words that have stayed with me all these years. She simply said (sarcastically)...."good for you, you got what you deserved!"

Whenever I see the Prom sequence from Shep's movie (I think its on Phantom of the Open Hearth - where Ralphie has his first experience with "a triple", gets sick in the bathroom, and then when he gets home has a short talk with his dad) I am always taken back to that night at Bowl-era and my own escapades.

I think that is why Shep's stories and movies are so good...they tell stories that many of us have personally experienced.

So Bowl-Era will be forever in my memories. Sorry to see it go.

Duane:

Hey, it's cool that you have Bowl-Era memories too!

This is going to show you how bad my memory is slipping, but was there bowling on both floors, or only upstairs? I believe my Saturday morning league was upstairs. I know there was a bar on the first floor, but there might have been some lanes down there too.

My house was two blocks east on 165th Street and then left on Woodward Avenue, sixth house on the left.

Tom

A 1967 Graduate of Hammond High who cherishes his memories of growing up in the Hammond of the 1950's and 1960's. Bring back those days!

Edited by - Tom J on 10/27/2008 18:30:00
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2008 :  19:47:38  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, unfortunately, Bowl-Era is gone. A friend who lives in Hammond went by there today and took these pictures. SAD!

That building to the right (north) of the Bowl-Era rubble was a Rexall Drugs when I was growing up. Looks like it is a restaurant now. There was an open air fruit market where the White Castle is now, across from Bowl-Era, and it was called "Fuitland." Anyone remember that place? They sold fresh cut Christmas trees there during the Christmas Season.

Tom

Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  07:02:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom,
What a pile of rubble!! Who remembers the White Castle at the SE corner of 165th and Hohman?
Ken...
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  08:36:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How sad about Bowl-era. Hey did anything ever happen at Woodmar Shopping Center once it got torn down? Is it just vacant land now, or did something else go in there?

Wasn't that original White Castle taken down when they put in an overpass? Or perhaps I'm thinking of another one...but I think there were only 2 White Castles in "da Region" and one was in Hammond and one in Whiting (on 119th street and hurray! it is still there!)
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  09:12:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm almost sure there was a small White Castle - looked like a diner painted white - right on that corner at 165th and Hohman. Get a bag full for a dollar.
Ken...
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  10:53:35  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvcogs

I'm almost sure there was a small White Castle - looked like a diner painted white - right on that corner at 165th and Hohman. Get a bag full for a dollar.
Ken...

Ken:

Are you possibly thinking about "Prince Castle?" They had square ice cream cones, and I think the burgers were also square.

Tom

Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  11:06:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That could be, Tom. You know, when you get old there are a few things you lose. The first is your mind; and I forget what the rest are.
Ken...
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  11:10:21  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, Ken, I don't really think the burgers were square, but the ice cream cones were. They had some kind of scoop that would dip squares of ice cream instead of balls of ice cream.

I don't remember that there was ever a White Castle at the intersection of Hohman and 165th, but there sure was a Prince Castle.

We had "Prince Burgers" once in a while, but they must not have made much of an impression on me, because I can't even remember if they were round or square.

Tom

Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  22:15:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ken...

Hey Guys!

According to the White Castle Locater online, there is a White Castle just off 165th on Calumet---6517 Calumet Ave.
Hammond,IN 46324 and then there is one on Indianapolis Blvd.--But I guess none of that is news to you guys. Have you looked at the following site? http://www.geocities.com/hhs59/lunchtim.htm? Has logos for the Fat Boy, Mace's (which I had not heard of), as well as White Castle--also a pic. of "the lunch ladies at HHS in 1959 (I guess).

Since Nashville, Tn now has a White Castle--has for several years, and you have talked about them, I have a taste for that most unbeeflike, but oniony flavorsome treat--may travel across town to get one tomorrow.....but then, ya can't eat just one, can ya?

S C JONES

Edited by - S C Jones on 10/30/2008 22:35:38
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2008 :  09:42:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi kids,
If I may be allowed to digress for a bit, everything Shep wrote was inspired by someone, somewhere or something that touched his life. Can anyone tell me who he may be refering to when he wrote of Wanda Hickey? I have not read his "Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories", but if someone out there has, what kind of real-life person could he be writing about and what did this person look like? What did she do for a living? Who was the real Wanda Hickey?............Cj
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2008 :  21:07:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shep actually tells us a lot about Wanda in the story.

She is blond (straw colored hair), and wears a ponytail. She has milky skin and wears glasses. Her eyes were unnaturally large and liquid, the way a true myopia victim's always are. She plays tennis a lot. She is the only girl that Ralphie knew for a fact liked him since third grade and when they were 12 she sent him a valentine. She hung around in his circle of friends a lot. She was "vaguely chubby", modeled herself after Judy Garland. She was like a cute beach ball, soft and rubbery. Ralphie later thought she was kinda cute. She was an incurable romantic.

She was good at algebra. She read the book "Lady of the Lake." On prom night, her breath smelled with Smith Brothers Cough Drops and sauerkraut.

Her mother's name was Emily, her dad was a foreman at the mill and drove a green 2 door Studebaker Champion with white sidewalls. Her brother named Bud was 4 or 5 years older and was in the Army, in the infantry.

Two blocks from Wanda's house is a vacant lot containing a huge Sherwin Williams paint "Cover the Earth" sign. NOTE: There was a HUGE sign like this on an industrial building in Whiting, IN...but since Wanda went to Ralphie's school, hung out with his friends, and was walking past his house after playing tennis, she must have lived in the Hessville neighborhood. So perhaps as with many things Shep, the sign in Whiting may have just influenced his story.

So there you have all that we know about Wanda from Shep's short story. Of course in the film, a young actress plays the role, but in some ways she matches and other ways she is different from the description in his written story. Given these clues, does anyone know the REAL person that Wanda was based on? Or for that matter, who Clara Mae Mattingly (who wore gold rimmed glasses and pigtails and was a good speller) was based on? Or who Eileen Akers or Daphne Bigelow were based on?
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2008 :  11:25:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot Duane. My interest was not so much in who the character was in the story, but rather if he had possibly fashioned one of them from a real life waitress/owner of a restaurant just a couple blocks from his Hessville home on Kennedy Ave---sharing the building where Hessville Cleaners was. A person I am looking for could have been a 'Clare' or 'Wanda'.
Thanks again........Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 11/03/2008 12:00:08
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2008 :  15:13:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just thought I would list all of the "clues" that Shep may have given us with regard to Wanda, so that maybe someone could pick up on them and remember if there was a real person that fit some of those descriptions.

Unfortunately, Shep tended to take bits and pieces of real things and mix them together to embellish a character. So perhaps the real Wanda did have a brother named Bud and a mom named Emily and a Dad who was a foreman at the mill, but it could have been various real people from his past that he pasted together.

My thought, there probably was a real Wanda and she probably had some characteristics of the novelized Wanda. Is there any way that someone who was in Shep's high school at the time could figure out just who he DID take to prom?
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  11:49:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the message that S C posted above there is a link to the hhs59 web page. From that page there is a link to a site with a picture of an original style McDonald's restaurant with the following caption:

"This was only the second McDonald's Hamburger restaurant in the national chain. It was located on Indianapolis Boulevard in Hammond, Indiana."

Now, I would like the help of those of you Region natives who remained there or at least remember the history of the place. Please take a look at these pictures. The one on the left is of the McDonald's at 175th and Indianapolis Blvd from the Purdue Calumet Archives and was taken in the mid 1950s. This picture was taken before the building with the Schlesinger Realty office was built on the corner next to McDonald's. The picture on the right is the one that was linked from the hhs59 page, and it appears to have been taken in the 1960s based upon the cars. The two obviously are of different buildings. Also, they must be in different locations. Notice what looks like a church spire in the background in the photo on the right. There were no churches on Olcott Avenue, the street just behind McDonald's at 175th and Indianapolis.

McDonald's Hamburgers

Is it possible there was another McDonald's up in north Hammond near the lake? I don't think so, but don't know for sure.

Thanks.

Ken...
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  09:30:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken - here are my thoughts. I remember going there as a very young kid with my family in our old 1950 Chevy, so it would have been the late 1950's or early 1960's. Also, while attending Purdue Calumet in the early 1970's, I often went there for lunch.

My best take on the situation is that one of the pictures is not the McDonald's adjacent to the Borman expressway. I believe the picture with the old 15 cent hamburger sign shows the orrect location. At that time period, the sign was not directly in front of the store, but to the north as this picture shows it. It also appears that the 1960's photo has the building much closer to the boulevard than the 1950's picture. I don't recall that they built a new building (until much later when they moved from the site altogether) and I also don't recall that Indianapolis Blvd. was widened during this time period.

So, my theory is that you have the correct picture, and the other picture is not of the Indy blvd. location.
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  11:45:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

In the message that S C posted above there is a link to the hhs59 web page. From that page there is a link to a site with a picture of an original style McDonald's restaurant with the following caption:

"This was only the second McDonald's Hamburger restaurant in the national chain. It was located on Indianapolis Boulevard in Hammond, Indiana."

Is it possible there was another McDonald's up in north Hammond near the lake? I don't think so, but don't know for sure.

Ken, I remember the place well. In 1957, I drove my father's 1954 two-tone ugly Ford Custom (without a license) to church every Sunday my father wasn't working at the mill.
One particular Sunday evening, I went beyond where I was supposed to go and drove to the McDonalds (The one on the left is THE ONE.) at 175th and Indianapolis with friends from church in the car with me. On the way home, as we exited the "freeway" (was that Borman, I don't know.) The motor quit--and luckily, another carload of teen friends from church was behind us and pushed me home. I was quite upset and was afraid the guy driving the bigger, older car would dent my Dad's car. The whole carload of teens who helped me, went up to my Dad and explained what happened. My Dad said to me, "Hey, it could have happened to me, don't worry about it." He never mentioned that I should not have gone beyond the church and back.. WHEW! I do remember the place as the one pictured on the left with "Speedy, the Chef". I don't know how old the following sites are, but......

According to the McDonalds History site there are now two MacDonalds in Hammond--
1 6437 COLUMBIA AVENUE
HAMMOND, IN 46320-2747

2 CALUMET AVE & CHICAGO AVE
HAMMOND, IN 46327

Edited by - S C Jones on 11/05/2008 11:55:16
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  14:56:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great Story! Sounds like Shep could have used that as a story about him and the "old man"!
It wasn't called the Borman Expressway until much later, being named after Astronaut Frank Borman from Gary, IN.
Sounds like we are developing an consensus about the REAL McDonald's phot. I wouldn't be surprised that if the other picture came out of a yearbook, it may have been a "canned picture" that the McDonald's headquarters used for any yearbook photos, and not necessarily any particular location.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  18:31:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvcogs... The one on the left is of the McDonald's at 175th and Indianapolis Blvd from the Purdue Calumet Archives and was taken in the mid 1950s. This picture was taken before the building with the Schlesinger Realty office was built on the corner next to McDonald's...

Mort Schlesinger was a buddy of mine, in elementary school. He lived on the corner of the block, across from Lost Park. We fooled around with home-made rockets and stuff. I remember his mom as quite a kind person. Does anyone know what became of the family? I could find no trace of them or their business, anywhere on the internet.

Bill

Go to Top of Page

dilligaf717

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2008 :  14:53:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember when I was in the seventh and eighth grade at St. John Bosco, we used to lie to the nuns and say we were going to someones house for luch. We could jump on our bicycles and ride to the McDonalds on Indy Blvd., eat and make it back during our lunch period. We could even eat a buger and coke for what our school lunch cost. What a deal.

Jim

Still runnin against the wind.
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2008 :  08:02:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Duane and Sue,

Thanks for the responses about McDonalds. That's what I thought. The 1960s photo obviously is a scanned image from a yearbook or some other publication; so, it must be a "canned picture" like Duane said.

Sue, I also went to McDonald's Sunday evenings after church in 1957. (Can you believe that? I actually went to church on Sunday evenings back then.) Usually the driver was the redhead in your homeroom, and there were about six of us in the car. Her brother was a good friend of mine. A friend of the redhead was the girl who has been my wife for 45 years. I didn't get to know her well until months later and we didn't start dating until at least a year later. Those two girls had been friends since they began kindergarten at Harding in January 1946 with Miss Jordan and Miss Heflin.

It's interesting how McDonald's at 175th and Indianapolis played a part in many of our lives just as the other drive ins did!

By the way, what is now the Borman -- I always called the Tri-State. Remember when going to Chicago involved taking the Tri-State to the Calumet expressway; then to Stony Island into Chicago? At some point we would cut over from Stony Island to the Outer Drive near the Museum of Science and Industry and head downtown to the underground parking garage. I also remember the few times I dared to take Route 41 all the way through the far south side.

Ken

Edited by - wvcogs on 11/17/2008 08:31:40
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2008 :  12:14:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Ken!
It is interesting to me that our paths crossed and we probably saw one another many days at school--you are in that yearbook picture taken at the senior girl's against the faculty basketball game; I was the captain of the girl's team--Olive's Oilers-- The redhead was on that team, and I remember her well. Now you tell me we probably had Sunday after-church meals in cars parked side-by-side at the 2nd McDonalds west of the Mississippi (not a franchise, but one of the national chain--right?) And your wife was also someone I probably saw everyday at school, because I was in the same homeroom as the redhead.

All of that is made to interest me because, here we are 50 some years later, having a conversation and at the time we may not have even spoken to each other, but we all rubbed elbows in the halls of Oliver Perry Morton High School as we went about our youth seeking to know ourselves. I hope I was nice to you and your wife if/when we had any direct encounters. Who knows? I know what you and your wife became professionally, what did the redhead (with glasses, as I remember) do for a living?

As for taking the Borman (I called it the Freeway.) or any other route to Chicago, I only remember driving to Chicago to a Cubs game (yes, I know, but the Sox weren't playing.) when, the summer after my freshman year in college, I was home working as a church secretary by day and a carhop at the PowWow by night.

A guy from college visited me that summer and heŃfrom the hill country of N.C. who had never seen such trafficŃAnd, I have to confess, I was astounded at the many lanes of traffic and the speed with which everyone drove on the Outer Drive. The only time I had been in a car driving to Chicago before that was to go with a guy to a dance/night club called The Fickle Pickle.

Alas, as a White Sox fan, I never got to Comisky Park for a game. And, I do not remember if the Cubs won or lost--didn't care, really... :^ )

Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2008 :  20:42:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken- our family back then always took HWY 41 all the way to Chicago.
Even today, when I would go to visit family we always exit the Dan Ryan (or is it the Edens at that point) north of the loop and jump on LSD (Lake Shore Drive)and take it all the way south. Going past the Hancock, Buckingham fountain, the museums and then going past the South Shore Country club, past a huge Catholic Church (St. Michaels?) Does anyone remember the Thunderbird Motel? (long since gone and now a small neighborhood park. Past the site of the old US Steel South Chicago works. Crossing the river and seeing some of the large barges hauling salt or coal Then driving under the huge bridge of the Skyway, past "Chicago's Last Liquour Store" and through the Standard Oil and Sinclair refineries and the huge gas tower owned by NIPSCO.

Moose Cholak (a professional wrestler) had a bar located near where HWY 41 intersected the Skyway. Also, the streets and sidewalks in that area were elevated, so there was an open area beneath the sidewalks. My parents said this was where the locals had a "Joe pod side-vaulkiem" which is pidgeon English/Polish for "Joe under the sidewalk" or in other words - the outhouse!

While we lock the doors on the car as we travel, we've never had any problems...and fortunately, the car never broke down!!
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2008 :  21:38:07  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey Duane and Sue,

Thanks for the responses about McDonalds. That's what I thought. The 1960s photo obviously is a scanned image from a yearbook or some other publication; so, it must be a "canned picture" like Duane said.

Sue, I also went to McDonald's Sunday evenings after church in 1957. (Can you believe that? I actually went to church on Sunday evenings back then.) Usually the driver was the redhead in your homeroom, and there were about six of us in the car. Her brother was a good friend of mine. A friend of the redhead was the girl who has been my wife for 45 years. I didn't get to know her well until months later and we didn't start dating until at least a year later. Those two girls had been friends since they began kindergarten at Harding in January 1946 with Miss Jordan and Miss Heflin.

It's interesting how McDonald's at 175th and Indianapolis played a part in many of our lives just as the other drive ins did!

By the way, what is now the Borman -- I always called the Tri-State. Remember when going to Chicago involved taking the Tri-State to the Calumet expressway; then to Stony Island into Chicago? At some point we would cut over from Stony Island to the Outer Drive near the Museum of Science and Industry and head downtown to the underground parking garage. I also remember the few times I dared to take Route 41 all the way through the far south side.

Ken

Ken:

I remember taking the Calumet Expressway into Chicago some of the few times I went to Chicago. I didn't go to Chicago too often as I was growing up in Hammond.

It looks like they call the Calumet Expressway the "Bishop Ford Freeway" now.

I remember a HUGE garbage dump on the right side of the road as you were heading toward Chicago. I think it was just south of Lake Calumet. YUCK!

I have also been to Chicago via the Skyway, and I have been via Route 41 as well.

Tom

Edited by - Tom J on 11/17/2008 21:40:30
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2008 :  13:25:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by S C Jones

Hey, Ken!

All of that is made to interest me because, here we are 50 some years later, having a conversation and at the time we may not have even spoken to each other, but we all rubbed elbows in the halls of Oliver Perry Morton High School as we went about our youth seeking to know ourselves. I hope I was nice to you and your wife if/when we had any direct encounters. Who knows? I know what you and your wife became professionally, what did the redhead (with glasses, as I remember) do for a living?

Sue,

Speaking of direct encounters, there was at least one that I know of. The picture in the 1958 Top Hat of Olive's "champion" Oilers with S C Jones holding the trophy is one that I took. When the yearbooks came out I went through and put a check mark by each of my photos. I'm glad I did that.

Ken
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2008 :  15:00:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, you must have told me and the others to smile, which means you spoke to me. I was probably too full of my own importance at the time--my 15 minutes of HS fame!--to think to thank you for taking the pic. --So, a belated thank you, Ken.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by S C Jones

Hey, Ken!

Sue,

Speaking of direct encounters, there was at least one that I know of. The picture in the 1958 Top Hat of Olive's "champion" Oilers with S C Jones holding the trophy is one that I took. When the yearbooks came out I went through and put a check mark by each of my photos. I'm glad I did that.

Ken

Grand Park Subdivision 1940-1961 Boondocks of Hessville!
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2008 :  11:43:24  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
SC

Well, I think I was a forward with Sue Sharkey on the losing team. Sue was so good that the boys wanted her on their team. She could hit the hoop from past mid court. I often wonder if she ever became a gym teacher.

Our teacher-coach- one of those senior moments- I cannot recall her name ended up as my instructor at the University of Michigan in my golf class for my Masters degree. I do not know when she left OPM.

Ken, I know that the Presby's would go to Mickey D's after choir practice on Thursdays with Mr Melton at Covenant.

Linda!

Edited by - svea3 on 12/21/2008 11:45:55
Go to Top of Page

Cindy M

15 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2008 :  10:53:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by seejay2
Something I was talking about with an IU student last week--- did anybody see Bobby Kennedy when he came to town? I was with a couple of guys in a house on Conkey St. When we came outside, the street was wall to wall people and I had no idea why. Then a car with speakers on it came through announcing that "Bobby Kennedy is two cars behind this one".
We looked at each other in total disbelief! This can't be real!! But sure enough, there he was, with Ethel, looking way beyond the legal definition of 'Cool'. Just thought I'd toss that in. He's the only person of celeb status that I've blundered into aside from Ed McMahon, whom everybody in the planet has seen at one time or another...........Cj

My next oldest sister did!!

She had reached up her hand, and he took a-hold of it to shake her hand.

His hand had apparently become so numb from shaking so many hands, that he did not realize he had not let go of her hand, and that she was having to run along beside!

I believe somewhere around in my stuff, I still have some sort of a campaign pamphlet from that event.

Interestngly enough, my baby sister (along with Mom) also saw LBJ in town somewhere. She was quite small, maybe 3 years old or so. She was photographed and was in the Hammond Times. Very cute picture. Mom said people kept hollering..."Pick up the baby, Mr. President!", referring to my baby sister. He didn't though.
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2008 :  14:21:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was probably good for your sister as LBJ could screw up everything he touched. I don't remember him coming around here, though. On the other hand, that was a time in my life when he could have stood next to me all day and I wouldn't have remembered it.
Bobby was too cool to go by unnoticed though....Cj
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  07:16:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone mentioned Bobby Kennedy's visit to the region in his blue,
Lincoln, four-door convertable. When he passed Calumet and Hoffman,
all the drunks from the Yankee Inn went out to see him. I stayed in the place with Joe Mis the owner. Someone yelled "Hey Bobbie,come have a drink with your friends." To everyones surprise, He stopped the motorcade and the Secret Service guys came in and looked around and Bobbie came in and said gimmie a beer. Joe poured him a tap while he shook my hand and said "How are ya? Nice to see ya." I just sat like a dummy and shook my head up and down and tried to smile. Joe had a domed glass box made to put Bobbie unwashed glass in and kept it on the back-bar for years. As a footnote to the story, I had shook hands with his brother years earlier in a J. M. Fields store in Sattelite Beach, Florida under similar circumstances. By the way, there was a White Castle on the corner of Calumet and State Streets for years. We walked to Hammond tech and back every day and stopped on the way to school in the winter for a hot chocolate. We also went across the street so we could stop at Wonder Bread bakery on Michigan and Calumet across from Jim's Drive-in. They had an exhaust fan that blew on the sidewalk. It was warm and smelled great. Take care all.
Go to Top of Page

cartoonguy

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  19:20:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can recall my family and I seeing Robert Kennedy, during his campaign stop in Hammond, Indiana, it was late May of 1968, he gave a speech at the school of St. John Bosco. But sadly just a few weeks later he was assassinated.
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2009 :  18:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey cartoonguy. Do you remember the Explosions and fire at the Whiting refinery? I remember everyone sitting on their roofs and watching the smoke and flames. I remember seeing someone jumping on the coal trains and throwing coal off so the old ladies could walk down the tracks and pick up the coal to keep warm. As a kid, I would jump on the back bumper of the Coke trucks when they stopped for a stop sign and reach around and throw Coke bottles off then get off at the next stopsign and go back and drink the Cokes. This worked great until the driver got wise and blew the second stopsign. I got scared and jumped off aqnd skidded for half a block. Never again. We used to hang out by the library on the corner of Oak and Hoffman and when a car stopped for the stop sign. we would run out and crouch down and grab the rear bumper. When the car took off, we would see who could ride by sliding on our leather shoes the farthest. Some fun!! Take care all. Tom W Hammond Tech 55-58
Go to Top of Page

FloridaKelly

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2009 :  11:26:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by golfwidow

Does anyone remember the name of a grocery store on the corner of 175th and Calumet? It is now a School Stuff store. If anyone knows I'd appreciate if you could post an answer. My parents/husband and I are stumped. Thanks in advance.

Go to Top of Page

FloridaKelly

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2009 :  11:28:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Does anyone remember the name of a grocery store on the corner of 175th and Calumet? It is now a School Stuff store. If anyone knows I'd appreciate if you could post an answer. My parents/husband and I are stumped. Thanks in advance.

Well, Tom J turned me on to this website. Finally, I can contribute to this forum. If my memory is correct, Model Food Store was the name of the grocery store that you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2009 :  11:36:02  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FloridaKelly

quote:

Well, Tom J turned me on to this website. Finally, I can contribute to this forum. If my memory is correct, Model Food Store was the name of the grocery store that you are looking for.

Kelly! Welcome, my classmate and friend!

I hope you are over in the Downtown Hammond section right now, because the Cam Lam has been mentioned over there, and I think that might be the restaurant your dad owned?

HHS WILDCATS CLASS OF '67 RULES!

Tom

Go to Top of Page

FloridaKelly

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2009 :  12:33:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi Tom, thanks for trying to help. We lived on 171st and Jefferson, near Edison School and Dairy Belle. We live in Crown Point now. We just drove through Hammond yesterday, my parents are visiting from Florida, and we took a trip dodwn memory lane, haha. We still can't remember the name of that grocery store. It was on the NW corner of 175th and Calumet . Thanks again.

golfwidow,

Tom J turned me on to this website. Model Food Store was the name of the grocery stores that you are trying to remember.

FloridaKelly
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  20:05:50  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You know that reading all these posts is still a lot of FUN
I just reread all 17 pages.
[ I guess I have not a real LIFE!]
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  17:36:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The shame is, a lot of it was deleted out of the middle. The "Hammond" one was the best one. It was a pretty good working copy for someone doing a documentary on Hessville/Hammond of the '60s....Cj
Go to Top of Page

Joel357

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  19:30:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have home movies, that my dad took of Bobby's plane landing at the Hobart Airport and Bobby getting out of the plane and working the crowd. My dad had his airplane at the airport. I had the movies put on DVD and really quite interesting

Joel Miner
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  20:30:03  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I put all my dad's 1930 movies onto VHS. Is it hard to do the change to DVD? LINDA
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  20:58:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda,
I have a VHS/DVD recorder that does that sort of thing. I transferred most of my old VHS tapes to DVD -- old movies, TV shows, and family tapes -- and tossed out the tapes.
Cuz Ken...
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  11:17:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,
I just thought I'd throw this on the table. Since I jumped into this forum, back in January of 2007, I have had a great deal of fun with it. I got hooked on it when I could not remember the name of a drive-in that I used to go to all the time back then. I blundered across this forum and Tom J supplied me with the answer within a couple of hours. Thru this forum, I hooked up with a woman I had known back in high school, who was then and still today is trying to find out what ultimatly happened to her real father. She now resides in Arizona. I have been able to go back to Hessville, numerous times, and interview people who had been living in the 50s - 60 era because of my proximity to Hessville. We have made many steps ahead, but we are still looking...

My mother still lives in Hessville, so I have made trips back there and probably learned more about that little community in the last two years than my whole time spent on earth.
Several of you have asked me in the past, if I could take some pix of a house, business or something you knew back then and I did so when possible and was successful every time. I have really had a lot of fun with this.

The time has come for us to move mom out of the area now, closer to my brother. She's still very active, but she is 82, Hessville is changing and not for the better. I'm really sorry to say that, but that is the reality of it.

Anyway, the whole point is, we will be moving her out and selling the house. After that, I will have no real reason to go there again. If anyone on this forum would still like me to stop and take a picture of something or leave a message to someone, now would be the time to do it.
When I leave there, I still would like to have some positive feelings toward the little town that I didn't realize that I loved so much until now, and that would be one way of making this possible.
By the way, the drive-in was Pow Wow......Cj
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  12:11:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cj,

Whether or not you make any more trips back to the old country, I hope to hear more from you on the forum. In the meantime, how about one more pic -- Jack's Carry Out? It is still there, isn't it? And it's fairly close to your Mom's house.

Thanks for all the information and pictures you have provided up to this time. Keep in touch.

Ken
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  15:29:07  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
CJ:

Your contributions to this message board have been monumental. Thanks for all you have done.

I hope that even after your mom gets settled into her new home, you might still be willing to make an occasional excursion into "The Region" for some "investigative reporting." You sure do a real nice job of that, you know.

Good luck in tracking down that lady's father. I hope she learns what happened to him. It's good of you to help her.

Keep on contributing, with or without pictures. Your posts are always good reads.

Tom

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  17:42:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the accolades guys! Electronically, I'm not going anywhere. I still will check in every day as I do now; sometimes several times a day. I just won't be making the routine trips to the "Old Country" the way I used to. We are moving mom to Lowell where she can be watched over a little better, and there is a good chance I will be in your neighborhood, Tom, by next year.
Yeah, Ken, "Jack's" is still there and I will get the photo for you on the next trip. I'm sure something will attract me right back to Hessville easily enough as you mention, Tom......Cj
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  04:58:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tom J

CJ:

Your contributions to this message board have been monumental. Thanks for all you have done....

Keep on contributing, with or without pictures. Your posts are always good reads....

I second all of that. Thanks!

Bill

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page