New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  17:59:18  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi

For those of you who made know the Dedelow name and specifically Ed, this is his web site: scientificcapitalist.com

His nephew was the recent mayor of Hammond.

He is an economist sort of a success story of Hessville/ Covenant Presbyterian and Morton High. His mother and mine were friends in addition to the fact that we were in the same Kindergarten, Miss Jane's.

Go to Top of Page

KLKD

6 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  15:02:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by S C Jones

quote:
Originally posted by svea3

Joanne Poole? Was that Don's sister? They were Mormons, I think

Yes, Don and Joanne were/are siblings. I do not know if the family was Mormon or not.
The only family in Grand Park I knew to be Mormon were the Kuschels--the older daughter, Judy, went to Tech after Jr. High at Morton where she socked John Fekete in the eye for whatever!

Ken, that is an awesome addition to our little "archive of info". I recognize the names and can put faces to Cecelia Clarke, Judy Howard, Carl Melton, and Marcia Franke--so they were 1958 grads. Judy Howard's father was a Dr. and they lived in Woodmar. Of course, we know who Carl's father was.

BTW, I have a friend from childhood in Hessville, looking for Kim Miller (She said his full name was Edward Kim Miller.) Classmates are looking for him for their 50th reunion since he did not come to the 45th reunion they had last year. Anyone know anything about him/his family?

Grand Park Subdivision 1940-1961 Boondocks of Hessville!

First post here!! Judy and Dian Kuschel are my aunts. My dad is Ted Kuschel. Just thought I'd make a correction....they weren't Mormons. I asked my dad about this and he said the Poole's were Morman. Hope this helps.

Karen
Born in Hammond
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  23:34:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
First post here!! Judy and Dian Kuschel are my aunts. My dad is Ted Kuschel. Just thought I'd make a correction....they weren't Mormons. I asked my dad about this and he said the Poole's were Morman. Hope this helps.

Karen
Born in Hammond

Karen, I am the one who posted saying the Kuschels were Mormon--I lived across the street from them. I was sure Evelyn (your grandmother) had said once she was Latter Day Saint and I thought that was the same as Mormon. But, hey, that was when I was a teenager and more than 50 years ago, so I apologize for being so sure about what may be not so. Please tell Ted, Judy, and Dian I said hello and I hope they are all doing well. Where do they live now? And, Evelyn? I heard she remarried after Glen died and maybe moved to Mississippi?

I have been in touch with Patsy Keefer and Jean Aumiller, Marvin Aumiller, and Don Butler recently--that might or might not interest Judy, Dian and Ted.

If you would rather not put any of that info on the internet, you can email me through this site.

Thank you for logging on and correcting my statement. The last time I saw Ted he was driving a white Studebaker Lark--must have been early 1960's.

S. C. Jones

Edited by - S C Jones on 06/20/2008 23:43:37
Go to Top of Page

KLKD

6 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2008 :  15:53:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sue! I received your email and have emailed you back and forwarded it to my dad (Ted Kuschel)!! My grandmother (Evelyn) is in a nursing home in Florida now. She was in Washington before she moved to Florida. My Aunt Dian and her husband are still in Indiana. My Aunt Judy and her husband live in Georgia. My dad (Ted) and my mom are in Texas and so am I. It's been great reading all of these posts!! It took me awhile, but I think I read every one of them!! By the way, that's ok about the religion mixup. I just thought I would get the correct info out. They were actually Lutherans.

Thanks for the email and the post!!!

Karen
Born in Hammond
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2008 :  17:03:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Karen,
I got an email from your dad and I have emailed him back. Thank you for getting us connected. I just remembered that it was Ted who came over to the Meade's house to find me and tell me about the Opal Collins incident I posted earlier on this site. He knew I was friends with Martha Collins. And, Evelyn was one of the group of women who let me accompany them to a day of the trial of Opal in Crown Point.

Thank you again for your help in getting me reconnected to one of my surrogate families.

Go to Top of Page

KLKD

6 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2008 :  22:04:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by S C Jones

Hey Karen,
I got an email from your dad and I have emailed him back. Thank you for getting us connected. I just remembered that it was Ted who came over to the Meade's house to find me and tell me about the Opal Collins incident I posted earlier on this site. He knew I was friends with Martha Collins. And, Evelyn was one of the group of women who let me accompany them to a day of the trial of Opal in Crown Point.

Thank you again for your help in getting me reconnected to one of my surrogate families.

Oh you are so welcome. I think it is so neat that you guys got reconnected!!

Karen
Born in Hammond
Go to Top of Page

Alan Vandever

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2008 :  21:33:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, there seems to be a lot of curiosity about "Flick's Tap". If I remember correctly, didn't he have a sign in his window saying, "Booz". It's been ages and maybe I have the wrong place. Being a local photographer I used to go by Flick's Tap alot. I remember it being on the East side of the street.
Al.
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2008 :  21:54:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Alan,
You're right about Flick's being on the east side of the street. The original location was the northeast corner of 165th and Kennedy in the same two story building as Dick's (Pop's) Grocery.
Ken...
Go to Top of Page

Jim R

61 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2008 :  23:48:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Flick's sign was one of those white plastic things with the white and yellow lights in it that would alternatly flash white and yellow. In big black letters it said BOOZE. It stuck out over the door at an angle so it could be seen from both 165th and Kennedy. Local church groups were always raising a rukus about his sign.

Harding Class of '67
Morton Class of '72
Go to Top of Page

Alan Vandever

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2008 :  02:03:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I was a photographer for The Hammond Times at the time. I remember the sign and thought it was Flick who had it up. Eventually they made him take it down.
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  19:54:55  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Karen,

Your surname is familiar to me. Did you have an older sibling? My brother graduated from HHS in 1952.
Don Poole and Ed Dedelow went to Brigham Young after graduating in 1961 from Morton.

LINDA '60 OPMorton
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  14:04:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just thought I'd toss this in. It was in yesterday's Times in a little thing they do on Sundays called "PastTimes"....Cj

Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2008 :  07:11:19  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
SeeJay, thanks a bunch for that picture! Man, that sure does bring back memories.

I would love to see a bunch of shots like that of Downtown from back in the 50s and 60s. I'm going to have to come back to Hammond sometime and spend a couple days in the library, I guess.

Please pass along anything else like that, if you find any more.

That's the Calumet National Bank building on the corner of Fayette and Hohman, and my mom used to take me there to see Dr. Friedman, the my eye doctor, when I was REAL little. I started wearing glasses when I was only two years old, so I would have made my first visit to Dr. Friedman in 1951 or 1952.

Tom

A 1967 Graduate of Hammond High who cherishes his memories of growing up in the Hammond of the 1950's and 1960's. Bring back those days!

Edited by - Tom J on 07/15/2008 07:11:47
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2008 :  13:07:08  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ditto for the pix.

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2008 :  14:22:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may want to check out the following address if you havn't already seen it.
http://www.hammondindiana.com/sitemap.htm

There are a lotta pix in there. I am going to dispute one of their sites though. It is the Blizzard of 1999. The '67 Big Snow still blows that one off the map.
OK, I'M AN OLD GEEZ! WHATTYA GONNA DO ABOUT IT?!?!?

Edited by - seejay2 on 07/15/2008 14:29:53
Go to Top of Page

KLKD

6 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2008 :  20:31:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I am an only child.

quote:

Karen,

Your surname is familiar to me. Did you have an older sibling? My brother graduated from HHS in 1952.
Don Poole and Ed Dedelow went to Brigham Young after graduating in 1961 from Morton.

LINDA '60 OPMorton

Karen
Born in Hammond
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  12:59:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many of us have posted pics of the "old country," Hessville and Hammond, on ShepTalk. A couple have kicked in a photo or two of vacations or other travels. Well, here's my contribution of a shot I took on a trip through my adopted home of West Virginia earlier this week.

This possibly could be the smallest stand alone U.S. Post Office in the country. It is located on U.S. Route 35 about 15 or so miles east of the West Virginia and Ohio state line (the Ohio River). The office is still open for business, but we passed by about 6:30 in the afternoon so I could not go in to spend 42 cents for a stamp just to see what the inside looks like.

If you are using a high speed connection, check the first link. For those using dial up service, the second link is for the same photo, but a smaller image. Enjoy. Ken...

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/wvcogs72/SouthsidePostOffice.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/wvcogs72/SouthsidePostOffice-1.jpg
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  16:02:16  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The Fekete's were in my parents' circle of friends. I will ask my brother about the connection.

I believe there was a connection of crocheting or of knitting possibly. They also played cards- bridge, pinochle or maybe even Bunko.

Linda OPM '60

Edited by - svea3 on 07/23/2008 16:10:16
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  19:16:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda,
When did Fekete come up? John Fekete, who graduated in 1958, is Judy's cousin. Judy's mother and John's father, also named John, were siblings.
Ken...
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  09:56:08  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ken,

Someone wrote the name Fekete and that jarred my memory in a huge manner. I really think that Hessville was a very small town and the adults were more connected than their kids ever knew! 'cause we were just involved in our small world.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

Alan Vandever

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  12:03:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if anyone remembers Tom Roop. He grew up in Hessville and was friends with Randy, Jean's younger brother.
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  17:01:03  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
No

Where did he live?

Go to Top of Page

VMurdock

1 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  17:12:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by seejay2

quote:

Pix #2 girl on right is familiar,but no name yet.

I live now close to a town called Wyandotte,MI,which started at the same vintage of Hessville, Hammond. Not only that, but there is a section which has a refinery just like Whiting. We produce Marathon.

The girl on the rightwas ID'd as Violette Lipke from somewhere in Hessville.....CJ

I love this forum! I happened upon it quite accidentally.

Violette is my grandma's sister ! She moved away from the area, and I didn't have much contact with her and don't really know anything else about her. I'd have to make some phone calls to find out much more. My grandma lived at 2624 Kenwood, but she was already married to my grandfather (Murdock) at that point. I was a frequent visitor to the A&P with my grandparents and parents when I was a child, and I loved that store!

I attended Harding Elementary beginning in 1973 until 6th grade. From there, I went to Morton Middle (Marshall Street). Then on to MHS in 1982 until 1984, when I went to Gavit and graduated from there in 1986. I grew up on California and Parrish Avenues.

Former Hessville Resident, Born and Raised in The Region
MHS (1982-1984)
Gavit (1984-1986)
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  10:50:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a little ditty in today's Times:

Cj
Go to Top of Page

IMARichter

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  12:08:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting sight - I'm not a native Hessvillian, but my parents were. Jim Richter & Rosalie Murdock. Violet Lipke was also my great aunt. I love the pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  19:18:14  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey all Hessville-ites Duane and Ed Dedelow are coming North from Florida next week and are planning a side trip to my abode from Cleveland. Anything about which you all want me to inquire? I know I am going to acquire one of his books and will give him one of the copies of my dad's 1912 Hessville maps .

Now this is exciting!

Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  13:25:41  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
AH WUNDERBAR!

WE HAD A SUPER TIME.

Ed is going to join us on Shepherd's site now. I am going to help Duane with genealogy.

ED lives in FL and Duane lives in Crown Point.

The Dedelow's arrived in Hessville from Germany in 1871. I am a Lohse and we arrived in North Township Lake County in the 1840's. Frederich August Heinrich Lohse was born in Saxony Germany. The big joke in the family was that we were not Hessians, BUT Saxons and Pomeranians! It is hard to believe that our two families have been friends for about 150 years and it probably goes back to Germany.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

robb76

Sweden
2 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  08:25:13  Show Profile  Visit robb76's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Svea3/Linda.

I live in Sweden and I’m doing a genealogical research of my family.

I found a message from you on this forum talking about Cecilia and Walter Harmon, when randomly searching for information, which made me believe that you may be a long distance relative.

I’ve found out that my grandmother’s grandmother’s grandfather emigrated to America in 1852. They arrived to New York City on 4th October 1852.

His name was Per (Persson) Lothberg, he was married to Anna Olsdotter, they had 6 children, their oldest daughter (Karin) stayed in Sweden.

In the American cencus 1860 I’ve found a family in Swede Bend, Iowa, that matches Per Lothbergs family perfect. It was common that Swedish emigrants took a new last name and they anglified their first names. (Christinas age matches in other sources, but is wrong in 1860).
The names matches, the age matches, the year of migration matches, that’s why I think Per Lothberg and Peter Harmon is the same person. Not many Swedes had migrated in 1852, they were among the first 5000-10000 Swedes to emigrate. Between about 1840-1920 1.3 million Swedes emigrated to America.

From American cencus 1860:

Peter Harmon 45 years old
Anna Harmon 40
Oloff 20
Anna 17
Cecilia 14
Andrew P. 12
Christina 6
Henry (born in Iowa) 1 month 1860

The family I’m looking for:

Per Löthberg born 1814
Anna Olsdotter 1820
Olof 1839
Ann 1842
Sigrid 1844
Anders Peter 1848
Stina Greta 1851

According to “1900 United States Federal Census” Anna had give birth to 15 children, of which 7 were still alive. In 1900 she lived with her son’s Walter and Henry in Chicago, in 1905 she lived with her daughter’s Christinas family in Fremont, Minnesota.

Family Tree at Ancestry.com: http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/pedigree.aspx?tid=7452214&pg=0

Per Löthbergs/Peter Harmon’s family tree on my home page:
(in Swedsih, starts with Per Norrbo, Per Lothbergs dad)

http://www.robkre.com/harmon/default.html

I appreciate as much info as I can get, if you are related to the same “Harmon family”.

robkre@gmail.com

/Robert

quote:

Johnson? or Harmon? We were related toTom Harmon who went to UM and his son Mark.MyUncle,Walter Harmon, was Treasurer in E Chicago in 1905. The Johnson's came in from Iowa. My grandmother Cecilia Harmon was a surgeon/medic in the Civil War. That side was direct from Sweden. I think our Swedish surname would have been Johansson, according to my Grandfather.

Dr Rampker.... My dad interviewed him to bring him to Hessville. He was a Korean War vet.You entered his office from the left. He gave me many a shot at my house. He was always concerned about me getting Scarlet Fever.

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  07:57:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried posting this earlier, but was not able because of all of the problems.
Ken Foss a '67 Morton grad passed away Aug 21st.

Obit http://www.legacy.com/nwitimes/Obituaries.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=116183242
Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 09/01/2008 07:58:06
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  18:01:05  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My condolences to Ken's family.

I did not know him, but he was apparently one who loved dogs, and that puts him high on my list. His obit mentions his "devoted dog, Shades" among his survivors. The obit also asks that in lieu of flowers donations be made to the Calumet Area Humane Society.

May God rest his soul.

Tom

A 1967 Graduate of Hammond High who cherishes his memories of growing up in the Hammond of the 1950's and 1960's. Bring back those days!

Edited by - Tom J on 09/01/2008 21:26:41
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  08:03:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Tom. Any friend of dogs is a friend of mine. I didn't know Ken Foss or any members of his family, but my sympathies are with them. May Ken rest in peace.

Ken O.

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  08:52:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only knew Ken because he was leaving Solina's Bakery and broke me in on the job. His sister ('Linda' I think)worked in front. He wasn't too 'out front' in school.

My God, Ken, that looks like my "Max" & "Comet". Max just turned 14 and Comet is a little over 2..........Cj
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  12:01:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are Ranger and Molly. Ranger is gone now after living thirteen good years. Molly is ten and had surgery six weeks ago to remove one of her adrenal glands. A growth on it was causing the overproduction of hormones that resulted in Cushing's disease. The surgery was done at MedVet, a hospital in Columbus, OH, similar to Alameda East in Denver that was the location for Animal Planet's series Emergency Vets a few years back.

Welcome to September, the end of summer and beginning of fall. Some of our trees here in WV are dropping their leaves already.

Ken...

Edited by - wvcogs on 09/02/2008 12:02:36
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  13:52:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, no, no. Sorry pal, that's Max & Comet. I sent a copy of this to my wife just a little while ago and she said the same thing. I guess I'll have to send you a pic for proof...Cj
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  13:56:54  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have I ever shared this website with my buddies here at Sheptalk? I created it to honor the memory of my best friend, Ross Allen.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~tsjay53/

Tom

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  19:42:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are the kids, Max and Comet. It was Max' 14th birthday. He's one of those dogs that will let you do anything with him and Comet always has something in his mouth.

I can see where you would confuse them with your dogs, Ken.
No harm done.......Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 09/02/2008 19:44:34
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  11:25:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those of you who are interested, I have posted the complete program booklet for the 1951 Hammond Centennial celebration on my Webshots site. Go to the link entered below to see the booklet. There you will see thumbnails of all 93 pages. If you are not familiar with Webshots, first click on the thumbnail; when the larger image appears, click on "full size"; then, clicking on the full size image should enlarge it so it can be read easily. To return and view the next page, click on the "back" button in your menu bar. The booklet contains ads for and articles about businesses in the area; historical and current (1951) photos; and the program for and participants in the centennial celebration.

Ken...

Hammond Centennial 1951

Edited by - wvcogs on 09/03/2008 11:26:44
Go to Top of Page

briz57

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  16:32:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

HI...
I FOUND THIS SET OF LINKS AND THEY SHOW THE TIME LINE OF HAMMOND...I HOPE THEY WORK....B

1850-1880 || 1881-1890 || 1891-1920 || 1921-1930 || 1931-1950 || 1951-1980 || 1981-PRESENT

BRIZ 1957
Go to Top of Page

briz57

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  16:34:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

OK...TRY THIS ONE THEN...

www.hammondindiana.com/history2.htm

BRIZ 1957
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  22:02:28  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvcogs

For those of you who are interested, I have posted the complete program booklet for the 1951 Hammond Centennial celebration on my Webshots site. Go to the link entered below to see the booklet. There you will see thumbnails of all 93 pages. If you are not familiar with Webshots, first click on the thumbnail; when the larger image appears, click on "full size"; then, clicking on the full size image should enlarge it so it can be read easily. To return and view the next page, click on the "back" button in your menu bar. The booklet contains ads for and articles about businesses in the area; historical and current (1951) photos; and the program for and participants in the centennial celebration.

Ken...

Hammond Centennial 1951

Ken:

Thanks a bunch! I have had time so far to check out only the first few pictures, but it looks like this is going to be some real good "stuff."

Tom

Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  22:04:09  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by briz57

OK...TRY THIS ONE THEN...

www.hammondindiana.com/history2.htm

BRIZ 1957

Thanks, Briz.

Tom

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  09:51:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Article in today's (9/14/08) Times

"Learn about city's founders at cemetery tour"
is what it says above this picture...it wouldn't quite fit the scanner. This is an article written by Rich Lytle, who is in charge of the local history room at the Hammond Public Library.
Rich has been very helpful to me in the past during some researching I had been doing in regards to events in the 40's-50's.....Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 09/14/2008 09:52:16
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  10:55:13  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
HI EVERYONE I am back!

Two things

My Father's map of Hessville is being delivered to the Hammond Library via Duane Dedelow, uncle of the Mayor.

Robb is related to me.... the Swedish connection through this Jean Shepherd site!

Now this site is fantastic.

Linda

Go to Top of Page

robb76

Sweden
2 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2008 :  06:15:58  Show Profile  Visit robb76's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you linda. Yes, this is exciting.
I just sent you an email.

quote:

HI EVERYONE I am back!

Two things

My Father's map of Hessville is being delivered to the Hammond Library via Duane Dedelow, uncle of the Mayor.

Robb is related to me.... the Swedish connection through this Jean Shepherd site!

Linda

Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  15:16:40  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My dad's records match yours. My great grandmother lived on Black Oak Road close to where the school is/was. She was very close to my Grandfather and Father and that is why I know the stories/ sagas.

I hope that all the details I sent you will help our families search.

Linda OPM '60

quote:
Originally posted by robb76

Thank you linda. Yes, this is exciting.
I just sent you an email.

quote:

HI EVERYONE I am back!

Two things

Linda

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2008 :  11:31:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys!
Here is a pic that was in today's Times. Rich Lytle, of the Hammond Library, puts these in along with an article from time to time. This was a while before my time.

Something I was talking about with an IU student last week--- did anybody see Bobby Kennedy when he came to town? I was with a couple of guys in a house on Conkey St. When we came outside, the street was wall to wall people and I had no idea why. Then a car with speakers on it came through announcing that "Bobby Kennedy is two cars behind this one".
We looked at each other in total disbelief! This can't be real!! But sure enough, there he was, with Ethel, looking way beyond the legal definition of 'Cool'. Just thought I'd toss that in. He's the only person of celeb status that I've blundered into aside from Ed McMahon, whom everybody in the planet has seen at one time or another...........Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 10/19/2008 11:34:13
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2008 :  22:18:17  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Chris! Keep those pictures coming.

I don't remember ever being INSIDE that building, but I sure do remember the place. Is the building still standing?

Tom

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  16:03:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think so, Tom. I don't remember the building, but looking at a Google aerial shot of the area shows me nothing at all like that building......Cj
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  13:41:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris, Thanks for posting the library picture. I asked Rich Lytle for more information about the history of the library. Here is his response to me.

"I am glad that the article and the photograph of the old "Carnegie Main" (as we call it) created a favorable impression. The photo used in the newspaper article actually dates from 1940 and shows the original building sitting on the east side of Centennial Park. Both the park and the building now no longer exist. Both facilities, along with: the 1890 city hall building, the old police and fire station building, the Roosevelt Hotel and the trackside warehouse, the Alice House and the other old houses, and even the paved sections of Indiana and Truman streets that were located between Hohman and Calumet avenues were all torn down during the late 1960s as part of an urban renewal project. In 1966 the Hammond Public Library board started construction on a new Main building for the library at our current address of 564 State Street. The Library moved into the new Main in 1967 and almost immediately the destruction of the old Carnegie building was begun. By 1968 all that remained were the pictures that different library personnel took of the entire process. Fortunately, we have them. The ones used in the NWI article were taken directly from our photo files and, as far as I know, that was the first time they were ever used for public awareness."

Also, I found his article that was in the Sunday NWI Times at this link: Rich Lytle article

Ken...
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2008 :  07:06:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good article by the excellent Mr. Lyttle.

I was inside the Main Library once, around 1966. As I recall it was mostly filled with tall, bare-bones stacks.

Bill

Warren G. Harding Class of '63
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page