Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  11:15:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess that makes him and I neighbors. I live in Portage, one town to the west. The pix are posted on "Anyone have non-Hessville Hammond memories?" right about in the middle of the page.

Here they are again:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/bike1.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/bike2.jpg

Thanks Linda
Cj
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  13:21:10  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I just talked with my first cousin,Dean. His wife is out 'bumming' inTerre Haute. He said he would know who he was, for sure. She is suppose to be home this week end and I told him that I would send the link to her e-mail.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

lynndesert

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  19:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Everyone,
I am flying to Indiana June 19th and will be there for a week camping out at the libraries. Please let me know if you want me to look up anything. I'll be searching archives, yearbooks, city directories, etc. which go back to early 1900's or so.

Lynn
You can email me at lynnmckee@cox.net
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2007 :  16:40:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by seejay2

OK, here is THE question:
All of us Hessvillites were aware if the existence of this place, but I never knew it by name--maybe it never had one.
On the west side of the 6400 block of Kennedy is some little bitty trailer court. Did/does it have an official name other than "that little bitty court"?

Okay CJ, it took a while, but here is your answer: Bonfiglio, Tindaro Trailer Camp, 6408 Kennedy Avenue -- from the 1952 Hammond City Directory.
Ken...

Edited by - wvcogs on 06/16/2007 08:55:57
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2007 :  17:02:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
God Bless your persistence, Ken! I would have put good money down that the place had no name. Where did you come up with a Hammond directory way out there?
Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 06/15/2007 17:05:29
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2007 :  18:29:08  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
SeeJay:
OK My cousin has looked at the photos and says that they are from the '40's. He doesn't recognize them but is going to take them to his buddy who is older. Stay tuned from Valpo!

Linda
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2007 :  18:35:55  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You know that Bob Seeger's [singer!] cousin did city directories. He was the guy, Ken, who made the copy of my dad's 1912 map of Hessville that I sent you.

Edited by - svea3 on 06/15/2007 18:37:18
Go to Top of Page

charlieslou

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  09:15:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello. I came across this website by accident, but what a find!!! I was born and raised on the South Side of Chicago, moved to Munster when I was 14. I graduated in 1979. I spent a lot of time in Hammond and Hessville. I currently live in the mountains of Central Pennsylvania.
My father owned and operated Wachala School of Music. I would like to thank all of you that mentioned him or his business, but particularly wvcogs and his post of 3/29/07. I haven't seen that picture in many years.
During a visit back home 5 years ago, I heard the Dime Store on Kennedy had been torn down, exposing the wall of the two-story building next door. I couldn't believe I saw the original Wachala School of Music sign. My father started his business above a hardware store well before my time.
BTW, the Polish words for Grandma and Grandpa are Busia and DziaDzia.
Tod
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  13:17:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the hometown site, Charlieslou---I did not take music lessons, but at an early age it was all the rage in my neighborhood to take accordian lessons. I don't remember, but I'll wager that some. if not all, went to your father's music school. Glad you logged on and found the memories. I am in the hills of Tennessee but planning to go for a few days to Da Region in September. Yes, WVcog has been a real asset to have on this blog. The pictures are phenomenal to old eyes, aren't they. How do you pronounce DziaDzia?

quote:
Originally posted by charlieslou

Hello. I came across this website by accident, but what a find!!! I was born and raised on the South Side of Chicago, moved to Munster when I was 14. I graduated in 1979. I spent a lot of time in Hammond and Hessville. I currently live in the mountains of Central Pennsylvania.
My father owned and operated Wachala School of Music. I would like to thank all of you that mentioned him or his business, but particularly wvcogs and his post of 3/29/07. I haven't seen that picture in many years.
During a visit back home 5 years ago, I heard the Dime Store on Kennedy had been torn down, exposing the wall of the two-story building next door. I couldn't believe I saw the original Wachala School of Music sign. My father started his business above a hardware store well before my time.
BTW, the Polish words for Grandma and Grandpa are Busia and DziaDzia.
Tod

Grand Park Subdivision 1940-1961 Boondocks of Hessville!
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  14:23:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tod,
WELCOME!!! It's great to hear from you.
Yes, my wife of 44 years took lessons at Wachala School of Music in the early 1950s when she was a student at Harding Elementary. She is not from a Polish family, but Hungarian.
Did you, by any chance, take a picture of the sign on the side of the building?
Ken...
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  19:28:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All ya all didn't think I left the planet, did ya? Ken, I remember seeing that sign up on the old Mack Shoes building last time I was there but failed to take a pic. Like Tod said, it was hidden all these years by the 5 & 10 until they tore it down. It's painted right on the brickwork. I'll be going back soon to get it. Would you like the wall itself or just a picture of it?
Now that I think about it, it may have said something about "Daugherty" too, which was some kind of general store there. That was before my time.

By the way, did you get your keys back?..........Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 08/04/2007 19:37:08
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  20:28:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,
Hey Cj -- It's good to see that you're still with us. I'm not sure what I would do with the whole wall, so just a picture will do.

According to the 1948 and 1952 Hammond City Directory, George P. Daugherty had a variety store at 6809 Kennedy Avenue. That's the same building Mack Shoes moved into later. The 1948 directory shows Hessville Community Service Post 232 American Legion upstairs at 6809. In the 1952 Directory, Frank Christianson, building contractor, was there. Mr. Wachala must have moved in sometime shortly after 1952.

Nope, no keys back yet. I have to wait at least a year. If there are no events during that time, then I will get them. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Ken...

Ken -- Morton High School 1960
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  21:12:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it was a yellow background with red lettering. I may be wrong about the color of the lettering, but I believe it said something like "Daugherty and Sons something or other". What I can't believe is that I didn't take a pic of it then.
In '67, there was a Mr. Christianson that lived in the little house across the street and a couple of buildings to the south, a little red brick place. He was 80 something when I met him. I wonder if it was the same guy? At the time he owned the building directly north of the house. It was called "Triangle Repair" and I worked there for a while. We repaired anything electrical there. That's right kids! We didn't throw it away! For a $3 service charge plus parts, it was pressed right back into service. Irons, toasters, coffee pots, TV's and even car radios (I hated those damn things); all repairable!

I have a little Viking figurine that someone gave me for good luck. I guess I'll dust him off and set him back out for those keys, Ken. Here's to ya!.....Cj
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  10:25:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Notice the announcement in the window in the c.1955 photo below from the Purdue Calumet archives of the Hessville 5 & 10 that says "New-Larger and Better." That makes me think that the same person who owned the variety store is the one who built the 5 & 10. The two story building we are talking about is the one on the right side of this photo.
Ken...

Edited by - wvcogs on 08/05/2007 10:26:27
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  11:06:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe you are right, Ken. If you look to the extreme right of the pic, just above center, on the old building it clearly says "5(cents)". It's even clearer in Photoshop.

Hey Tod, where in Hessville did you spend your time? It's really odd to hear that someone from Munster would come to Hessville to play rather than the other way around. The guys I knew from Hessville and other places that moved to Munster kind of got absorbed by the place never to be seen again....Cj
Go to Top of Page

charlieslou

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  07:35:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone. Thanks for all the greetings. I'll have to dig through a pile of pictures to see if I have a picture of my dad's original sign. If somebody has one here, can you post it?
When I was a teen, there was never much going on in Munster, but 169th wasn't too far or too scary for a SouthSider to cruise up and down. I never really hung around with the 'elite' of Munster, so the blue collar Hessville was to my liking. Never been afraid of getting dirt under my fingernails.
The area in which I live now is definitely blue collar. Give these guys a welder, a torch and a hunk of angle iron and they can build almost anything.
The word DziaDzia is pronounced like the 'gia'in the Italian name Gianni.
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  14:27:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I graduated from LTV Steel (they closed down really) after 30 some odd years, so I am quite familiar with welders, torches and Yankee ingenuity. I was raised in the Hessville area, but live in Portage right now. I still have family and some friends in Hessville and I go back to "the old country" from time to time. I've had instances where people have requested me to take photos of a home they grew up in or place where they once played when I make these little treks. If you go back into (which you have probably already done) the past pages, you will see the pix I have posted. I remember seeing the sign on the side of the "Mack" building, but never took a photo of it and I don't know why not. Next time I go there, I intend to rectify that. Yes, I will post it. I lived in Munster for about a year in half a duplex on Belden Pl., which was near the Handy Andy on Calumet. I'm like you, more comfy with blue collar crowd...Cj
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  23:08:55  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
WELCOME Charleslou

The music group I attend monthly had an accordian concert in May. Our group gives a $1000 scholarship to a graduating senior.

I remember attending Saundra Lafoon's recital . I never saw so many accordians in my life!

Linda
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  11:05:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, all

I just googled Wachala and found this gem. Tod, is this one of your relatives? She lives in Highland.

http://www.nwiqlc.org/ssj/documents/Wachala%20Peaches.pdf

Go to Top of Page

charlieslou

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  08:21:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, that article was written by my sister-in-law. My brother is still in the music business and plays classical music with his group called the "Calumet Chamber Musicians". Was the $1000 scholarship started by one of my Dad's former students?
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  09:43:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cj - When you get back to the Old Country, how about trying to get a pic of Kennedy Avenue from an angle similar to the one below? Also, if you can, maybe get one from the other side of the street so we can see what the west side of Kennedy looks like now. This pic probably was taken c.1955 from somewhere around the Sip N Bite location.
Thanks, Ken...

Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  10:20:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My friends -- Sure, I know this has nothing to do with Hessville or Hammond, but it was a nice sight to see in the backyard while eating breakfast on the back porch this morning in the hills of West Virginia.
Have a great day. Ken...

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  13:49:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvcogs

Cj - When you get back to the Old Country, how about trying to get a pic of Kennedy Avenue from an angle similar to the one below?

Not a problem! Heading for Kentucky Lake in about an hour, but we will be back next week and take care of it then....CJ
Go to Top of Page

charlieslou

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  07:05:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice doe, wvcogs, but last night,(Thursday), we had a 10 and 6 pointer less than 75 yards from the house. A couple of weeks ago, we had a black bear the same distance. Isn't it great to live out in the sticks??!!
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  10:42:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by charlieslou

Nice doe, wvcogs, but last night,(Thursday), we had a 10 and 6 pointer less than 75 yards from the house. A couple of weeks ago, we had a black bear the same distance. Isn't it great to live out in the sticks??!!

Thanks to Ken for the pic. And just a note to charlieslou--bears love bacon, and will tear up everything to get to it when the smell it in the garbarge. I once lived in the mountains outside Santa Fe, NM and the bears came down to our place at night to rummage through the garbage. Some guests left bacon grease out to attact them---It was not a calm night.

But, seeing the bears and deer is a delight!

Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  12:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen any bucks around here, but there have to be some since we have a couple fawns running around. The neighbors up the road have seen a black bear; but as far as I know, none have been near our house. That's all right with me. Yes, living here in the sticks is nice.
Ken...
MHS 1960

Edited by - wvcogs on 08/11/2007 12:40:32
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  12:46:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvcogs

I haven't seen any bucks around here, but there have to be some since we have a couple fawns running around. The neighbors up the road have seen a black bear; but as far as I know, none have been near our house. That's all right with me. Yes, living here in the sticks is nice.
Ken...
MHS 1960

Hey, Ken,
You might put that picture you shared with me in a window should a bear come near!
I hope all is well with you.

Edited by - S C Jones on 08/11/2007 12:52:14
Go to Top of Page

Jenny

1 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  07:31:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Jan%20Shultz/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/bobby%20and%20i" border="0">" target="_blank">file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Jan%20Shultz/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/bobby%20and%20i

Edited by - Jenny on 08/12/2007 08:09:07
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  10:29:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jenny,
If you're trying to post an image, that's not the way to do it. First, upload it to a site on the web, and then post the link to this forum.
Also, how about putting more complete information on your profile.
wvcogs...
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  21:38:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But she's welcome here, just the same! The more the merrier!

Welcome!

Bill

Warren G. Harding Class of '63
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  15:02:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by wvcogs

Cj - When you get back to the Old Country, how about trying to get a pic of Kennedy Avenue from an angle similar to the one below? Also, if you can, maybe get one from the other side of the street so we can see what the west side of Kennedy looks like now. This pic probably was taken c.1955 from somewhere around the Sip N Bite location.
Thanks, Ken...

Hi Ken! I tried to fish Kentucky Lake dry, but I felt guilty about that and threw some back.
Haven't been back to the Old Country yet, but that may happen this weekend. I really want to take a good look at the north wall of the "Mack" building now.
In the meantime, here are a few "New" Country pix to tide you over.
If I make a mistake, I'm sure you correct me, especially with the first one. First of all, comparing the old with the new pix would hinge on which era you are from. I graduated Morton in '67 (Let's hear it guys!) so my places may differ.
This first one you will remember as Hessville Dept Store (I hope) which went on to become Verick's(?)
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/HessvilleDept.jpg

The next one is the "Ace Theater"(later the Kennedy). 2 movies and cartoons for 25 cents. A good way for mom and dad have the whole afternoon to themselves for a quarter.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Kennedy.jpg
To the north was a shoe repair, then Wolf's Restaurant. I remember several restaurants there to include Wesley's and 'Lil Governor.
After that, Fifields.

If you don't remember Janc Drugs on the corner, then you were not from Hessville; an imposter.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/JancCorner2.jpg

The "missing tooth" to the left is what used to be the 5 & 10 Store until the city aquired the building and razed it. Next was Mack's Shoes.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Mack.jpg

There were all kinds of business in the next one. The blue building was Calumet Nat. Bank and to the right was Readmore Gift Shop, now a gun range.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Bank.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Readmore.jpg

Maybe you guys can fill in some of the blank spots. Hopefully I will go there this weekend and get better pix of across the street than what I have now and we can have some fun with that.....Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 08/14/2007 15:06:42
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  20:07:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Cj and howdy to all others out there,

Thanks for the look at those shots of Kennedy Avenue in what once was beautiful downtown Hessville. You did well except for the first one. The three story building always was Vierk's Furniture. Hessville Dept. Store was the one story building just to the left of Vierk's. When the Dept. Store closed in the early 1960s, Vierk's took it over and expanded the furniture store. You did a fine job in identifying the others -- even the location of Calumet National Bank since it had moved into a new building a couple blocks north while you were still in elementary school.

Ken...
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  22:05:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One more time...
Here's Vierk's in 1966 after taking over the one story dept. store location. This photo is from the Hammond Chamber of Commerce booklet published that year.
Ken...
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  01:24:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THANKS, C.J., for the excellent photos!

In the Mack Shoes one, we can even see our beloved Library in the background!

Bill

Go to Top of Page

golfwidow

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  09:41:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone remember the name of a grocery store on the corner of 175th and Calumet? It is now a School Stuff store. If anyone knows I'd appreciate if you could post an answer. My parents/husband and I are stumped. Thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  11:51:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent pic of 60's Vierk's, Ken!
Let's see if I can get it right this time:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/HessDept.jpg
We have here the Hessville Dept Store. What was the place to the left of that? I remember something, short lived, called "Peppermint Twist" in there where they serve soft drinks and local bands played.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Wachala.jpg
Then left again was "Adams Sports" where the comic books were my only interest. It went on to become "Zaranka's Optometry" and then "Ramian's State Farm".
Left of that was "Wachala's School of Music". How am I doing so far?
Let's go across the street.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Solina.jpg
Now we see the old "Solina's Bakery". I can still smell those sweet rolls in the morning.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/PinBowl.jpg
To the left is "George Beslich's Bowling" or "Pinbowl" as I knew it.

Here's one for you, Bucko!
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Hansen.jpg
Cj
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  14:20:02  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by golfwidow

Does anyone remember the name of a grocery store on the corner of 175th and Calumet? It is now a School Stuff store. If anyone knows I'd appreciate if you could post an answer. My parents/husband and I are stumped. Thanks in advance.

Hi, Golfwidow!

Welcome to this forum.

I'll try to help you remember that store, but I'm drawing a blank right now. Which quadrant did it occupy? SE, SW, NE, NW? What else was on the corner?

I grew up on Woodward Avenue, ten blocks north of 175th, so I wasn't far from this store. Woodward is two blocks east of Calumet and is only one block long, running from 165th St north to Cleveland St.

Tom

A 1967 Graduate of Hammond High who cherishes his memories of growing up in the Hammond of the 1950's and 1960's. Bring back those days!

Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  19:32:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey! You guys are proving the point: "You can't go home again!" I feel a bit saddened by the sight of what was and what is. I'm not sure I want to revisit Kennedy Ave. when I go up in September. However, the pictures Ken has provided makes it a sweet sadness I guess. Thanks for sharing, all of you.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Bucko

THANKS, C.J., for the excellent photos!

In the Mack Shoes one, we can even see our beloved Library in the background!

Bill

Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  20:27:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to an ad in the 1954 Top Hat, the Morton High School yearbook, a place called Russell's Mens Wear was located at 6719 Kennedy Avenue just north of the Department Store which was located at 6721. I'm not sure how long the mens wear shop lasted.
Ken...
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  05:50:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, C.J., for the new photos, especially the new one of the Library.

But ... lead pipes for sale, in place of Solina's cream puffs?!? Sacrilege.

Bill

Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  09:49:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shep fans will remember that "George Beslich's Bowling" or "Pinbowl" probably is what Shep referred to as "George's Pinbowlerama."
Ken...
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  13:17:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys!
Made the trip to the Old Country a little earlier than planned. First of all, as far as Solina's goes, there were a few times when I got a roll that was harder than I wanted it to be, but to go to lead pipes like Bill pointed out is probably a little over the top.
I did have a little fun trying to get as close to the angle of the original pic as possible to get the following comparison shot of 50's Hessville to 2007 Hessville. I think I liked the 50's Hessville over what it is now. It has no character at all.
By the way, the pic was taken in the lot south of S&B. The truck on the left of the color photo is parked right in front of S&B.

The second bad news is that I am really kicking myself for not taking a pic of the side of the Mack building when I had the chance. It has been painted over with some other crap. Maybe somebody else had enough presence of mind to do what I did not do and has a photo out there somewhere. Sorry, Tod!
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Sign.jpg

Anyway, here are some positive things that I did manage to accomplish.
This is what is left of Luchene's. It is a VFW now. I have nothing against a VFW (I am a Viet Nam vet myself), but it is not Luchene's!
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Luchenes.jpg

Everybody has their local "Choke & Puke". Ours was called Sip & Bite. Again, people, if someone cannot recall Sip & Bite they are an imposter!! Or maybe younger than we are. It is now the Kennedy Cafe. I have to admit though, for around 6-7 bucks, two people can get 3 eggs apiece, potatoes, toast, coffee; the whole thing---and it's good, too!
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/SipBite-2.jpg

"Toomey's Hiawatha Tavern". Now known as Freddy's Steak House. They have pretty good steak in there. If you like bleu cheese dressing, they have the best that I have tasted and they heap in on, too. If you don't love bleu cheese, don't bother.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Freddys.jpg

I remember the place on the left as being some kind of frat house. Behind it, they were working on building some kind of Nordic style boat what seemed like forever. I don't know what ever became of it. I think the frat moved to a place across the street from Pow-Wow Drive-In. This place then became a shop that sold cheap work clothes and gloves. Next door was the A&P store, although I don't remember it as such. I do remember a grocery store there in the 60's, but it wasn't A&P.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Frat-AP.jpg

Of course we all remember Hill's Hammond Times Agency.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Hills-1.jpg
For the 60's Hill's. Check out the '57 Chevy parked there!...
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/OldHills.jpg

Ken, I was telling you of a house that I remember a Mr. Christianson living in. This is the house, the little red brick one. He also owned the little grey building in front that was "Triangle Repair". I worked there in 67 and we repaired electrical items there. I never knew until I took this pic that both structures shared the same address.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Triangle.jpg

Here are all of those places on the west side of Kennedy. According to the 1952 city directory, none of these places existed at that time except for Sip & Bite which was called "M & M Grill" then.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/6800.jpg

Then there are some things that will never change. Do you remember, as a kid, climbing all over this thing? Did you ever find the trigger so that you could come back at night and fire your old man's bowling ball out of it? I didn't.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/cannon.jpg

*A new developement*
I just talked to mom and as of yesterday (8/15/07), she observed people taking down what ever signs were on the Hansen Branch, the 'Little Library' as she calls it. I don't know what's happening there, but she is going to keep an eye on it and keep me informed. I certainly hope they are not considering this as a future site for another McDonald's!............Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 08/16/2007 21:34:46
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  14:29:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great contrasting photos of the East side of Kennedy Ave. The thing I noticed first is that the rooftop facade of the Ace Theater/Janc Drugs Building is missing in the newer, less appealing Kennedy Ave.

Also, the Sip and Bite "Hangover Haven" known as a place I, as a young female, should not go into--at least alone! In 1985 or so, my brother and I were up taking our mother to a nursing home and we ate at the Kennedy Cafe. I have to say, the breakfast was good.

Does anyone have a picture of the original building with the sign painted on its side? Am I remembering that correctly, that Sip and Bite was painted on the parking lot side?

Sue

Edited by - S C Jones on 08/16/2007 14:35:43
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  10:47:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Folks, I could have painted a better looking sign on the side of a building. Yes, it would have been ugly, but not that ugly...
My greatest memory of the Sip 'N Bite in the '50s is seeing the cook working at the grill with a cigarette in her mouth with about a two inch ash hanging off it.
What Cj referred to as the "frat house" was Kolbert Furniture way back when, that is in the middle 1950s. And, the place at 6810 Kennedy Avenue where Cj worked in 1967 was Roy's Radio and Television in 1956.
It's hard to believe that someone still has a TV antenna on that two story building on Kennedy. Could it be the same one that was there in the 1950s shot?
If you had been able to find the trigger on that old cannon parked next to the Legion hall, all your old man's bowling ball would have hit would have been the big old trees in the empty lots across Kennedy.
Painting over the old sign is bad enough. Surely noone will think of demolishing the "Little Library."
Have a wonderful weekend everyone.
Ken...
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  11:59:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't that sign the most atrocious looking thing you've ever seen? As a kid, I peed my name into the snow better than that! If that sign is a reflection on the kind of work he does, you are better off wearing work clothes!

I really would like to know what became of the boat those guys built back there. I only remember the frat house there. I don't remember the A&P either, but mom had an arguement with someone about it and she won the debate with one of those pix that got posted a while back.

I do seem to remember a "Roy's" now that you mention it. We went there on Halloween night and he had something rigged up to jump around on the door. I don't remember what it was and would have forgotten about it completely if you haden't brought it up. A black guy named Willie Hearnes had the business when I was in school and called it "Triangle Repair". After I left there, he moved everything right across the street to a bigger building. I do have a pic of him standing in front of the place, but not with me right now. I'll post it later. Willie just passed a few years

That looks like the same antenna! Why not? I know people why keep their Christmas trees up all their lives rather than fool with them. It even lookes like the chimney (chimily,ha!) was redone and the frugal soul kept the antenna on it. It must have been one of the good ones that used to pull Milwaukee in on channel 4 on a good day, remember that?

Can you imagine the bowling ball hitting a tree and then bouncing back right through the old man's windshield as he was looking for you and his missing ball? Time to join the circus for sure--if he let you live!

I'll keep an eye on the library.........Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 08/17/2007 12:00:34
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2007 :  02:53:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just listened to the "Ice Cream Riot" broadcast, the second part of which describes lightning hitting the young Shep's ham radio antenna and putting a crack in the wall of his house.

At 1 hr 39 min Shep says his family moved away, across town, and "never went back to Cleveland Street."

If true, that might partly explain some of the oddities I've noted, about Shep mentioning parks and hangouts on the west (downtown) side of town, but never mentioning Lost Park, the huge vacant tract with oak trees (s.w. corner of 165th and Kennedy Ave.), or the vast prairie between McCook and Indianapolis Blvd (south of IHB's Gibson Yard) where my family's dogs chased rabbits.

On the other hand, there's still the fact that in the Josephine Cowznofski story, Shep says he hitched a ride across town (presumably from Cleveland Street), to Hammond High School. Which he would not have needed to do, if the family had already moved west. Perhaps, among the hazards of growing up, the Cowznofski affair and Shep's desperate chase by Stosh came first, followed by the lightning strike?

Bill

Go to Top of Page

m10bob

USA
233 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2007 :  15:33:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Shep was using "writers' license" to embellish for humours' sake when he claimed they moved off Cleveland street, because in at least one telling of the same story, he claims they moved to Arizona street, (which locals know is 1 lot west of his home, next to Emge's folly.)

In Hoc Agricula Conc
In Est Spittle Louk
Go to Top of Page

charlieslou

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2007 :  21:37:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the attempt, seejay. I haven't found the picture of it either. Next time I talk to my ma I'll see if she has one.
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  12:11:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think maybe the thing to do now is, since they have those Opinion and 'Voice Of' sections in the paper, maybe I'll just ask if anybody took a photo of that and see if they are willing to share. I'm sure somebody took a photo.......Cj
Go to Top of Page

golfwidow

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  22:17:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tom, thanks for trying to help. We lived on 171st and Jefferson, near Edison School and Dairy Belle. We live in Crown Point now. We just drove through Hammond yesterday, my parents are visiting from Florida, and we took a trip dodwn memory lane, haha. We still can't remember the name of that grocery store. It was on the NW corner of 175th and Calumet . Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page