Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  11:47:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John and Linda: Whether we were predestined to live in Hessville in the times we did or were there because of a choice our parents made---we were fortunate to have lived there during the times we did.

Linda, your statements, in this context, gave me a new perspective on predestination! I see that the teaching can assuage guilt and pride of wealth and status, and at the same time build character in those who have, instilling in them the humility to give/share what they can to help others. I have a friend who lives those teachings quite well.

quote:
Originally posted by johncmccann

quote:
Originally posted by svea3

NOPE luck had little to do with it.
We intelligently,
with freewill
made the correct choices
to our destiny.

You are when, where and to whom you were born, being shaped and developed by
your choices..

I didn't have the choice to live in Hessville, my parents made that choice for me and it was a good one. Even their choice was following my father's job from Argo to the Gibson yard, so I do think there was a bit of chance involved and who I am has been shaped by friends, family and community as well as the choices I made when I was old enough to shape my own destiny. I did enjoy living in Hessville and having the freedom to explore the area in a safe, friendly, environment.

John

Grand Park Subdivision 1940-1961 Boondocks of Hessville!

Edited by - S C Jones on 05/06/2007 12:10:26
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  12:47:10  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
TO:SC

A good read is: How The Scots Invented The Modern World. By Arthur Herman

I admit it; I do have a touch of Easwood.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

Pro2am

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  21:25:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris,

That was the Indiana Harbor Belt/Michigan Central coaling tower. It ws located a couple of hundred yards west of IHB's roundhouse/shops area, which is directly west of the 161st St./McCook Ave. intersection. This vintage structure was demoished 3-4 years ago. Here's a photo I took of it in July of 2003. :)

Mike Rapchak Jr.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/ihb/ihb-coatwr-amr.jpg

------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by seejay2

Wasn't there a thing like this south of 165th or was it right by American Can?
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/coaltower.jpg

Go to Top of Page

emttt

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  08:18:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know how many of you watch food network, but I saw on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives last night that there is still a Drive In close to you. It is The Frosted Mug @ 11541 S. Pulaski Rd in Alsip, IL. I have not been there, but I hope to when I go to Chicago for the Sox/Cub games May 18-20. You can find it online @ thefrostedmug.com.

I am going to be in Chicago in August as well for an antique radio collectors meet, and I hope to be able to scoot over to Hessville while I'm there. Any suggestions as to must see places to visit?
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  11:23:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coal Tower!
That's the one, Mike. As kids we used to climb up into that thing just because it was doable. Kids before us had tied knotted ropes and even somehow hauled skids up there as makeshift ladders.

Several of us had gone up it one afternoon and were traversing across the catwalk when one of the kids looked down and froze up. He went down to his hands and knees, scared to death, right in the middle of it. He started crying and wouldn't budge. We started telling him the railroad dicks will see us and lock us up. Why did we do that? Now he started throwing up on top of it all. We finally had to drag him, crying, across that old grating just to get out of sight.
My dad worked as an engineer for IHB. If he had ever found out that we were climbing around on that thing, I would still be confined to my room today.

I would have suggested that you could climb the coal tower Tim, but it's gone now. Kidding aside, I can't think of anything that's there now to make a special trip for. The whole thing is what it used to be; at least for me, anyway. I'm sure somebody will respond with something.........CJ

Edited by - seejay2 on 05/08/2007 11:31:23
Go to Top of Page

johncmccann

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  21:15:59  Show Profile  Visit johncmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emttt

I don't know how many of you watch food network, but I saw on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives last night that there is still a Drive In close to you. It is The Frosted Mug @ 11541 S. Pulaski Rd in Alsip, IL. I have not been there, but I hope to when I go to Chicago for the Sox/Cub games May 18-20. You can find it online @ thefrostedmug.com.

I am going to be in Chicago in August as well for an antique radio collectors meet, and I hope to be able to scoot over to Hessville while I'm there. Any suggestions as to must see places to visit?

Any time I get back to Chicago I always try to get to the museums, the Field museum of natural history and The museum of Science and Industry will keep you interested for days. In Hessville there is a nature center which has paths through the woods on Parrish Avenue. There is a place in Madison, Wisconsin called House on the Rock that I visited on one of my trips back there that turned out to be a magical place that I want to see more of.

John
Go to Top of Page

emttt

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  06:34:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I love the museum of science and industry, and the house on the rock is cool, even though I haven't been there since i was in junior high. I ammore curious as to if the trip over to hessville is worth the price of the gas or if it's better for me to live vicariously through your memories that I read here. I know where I grew up is dying and if not for my parents living there I probably would never go back.
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  11:58:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can delete one of the postings easily.
As far as making a special trip to Hessville is concerned, I would say save your gas money. The only thing go to Hessville for now is if you have family there, which I do. I have taken various pix around town, which I'm sure you have seen, just because people wanted to see what time has done to the place. It's only a nostalgia trip for someone who has lived the past there. I am also helping a woman track down who her real father might be and many of the leads have roots in Hessville, so there is a lot of research to be done there. Aside from those things, I wouldn't have any reason to go back there now either, unless Cande's Pizza came back and that isn't going to happen.
We went to House on the Rock about eight years ago. I haven't heard anything about that place until now. If one enjoys looking at the biggest collection of Rube Goldberg contraptions in the world, that's the place to go......Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 05/09/2007 12:00:41
Go to Top of Page

johncmccann

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  22:00:16  Show Profile  Visit johncmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emttt

Yes, I love the museum of science and industry, and the house on the rock is cool, even though I haven't been there since i was in junior high. I ammore curious as to if the trip over to hessville is worth the price of the gas or if it's better for me to live vicariously through your memories that I read here. I know where I grew up is dying and if not for my parents living there I probably would never go back.

Since you will be so close to Hessville when in Chicago, the cost of gas would be negligable, so why not take the drive, see the homes for yourself and maybe take a stroll in the woods where Shep spent his time. The swamps have all been drained and you have to stay on the trail but the mosquitoes will be there looking for fresh blood so be prepared. It won't give you any insight into Shep's life but maybe his stories will have new meaning to you.

John
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  14:27:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This goes back a little before our time, about 1949. Across from Calumet Auto Parts (5503 Calumet),a few blocks north of Hammond High, there used to be some kind of restaurant where the local bikers of the time used to hang out. The guy was hard to understand. It sounded like he said,"Boiler's Restaurant" or something on that order. Anything???...........CJ
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  12:16:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was flipping through the channels on Sunday afternoon as I worked the crossword puzzles in the Sunday paper and heard the familiar narrator voice of a Shep movie. I got in on the middle of it, so don't know the name--it was not listed in TV listings.

The adventure was Ralphie looking for the best top to win against his archenemy.

Flick, Schwarz, Gibson Yards, Cedar Lake all played a part in the movie–Ralphie caught a boat load of crappie, while his father's fishing line was entangled with another. The trailer showed the movie was made in 1994. Charles Grodon played the "old man".

What is the name of the movie, anyone?

Go to Top of Page

diskojoe

161 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  14:00:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That movie would be "A Summer Story", which is available on DVD (I should know; I got a copy for a friend this past Christmas.
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  15:16:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diskojoe

That movie would be "A Summer Story", which is available on DVD (I should know; I got a copy for a friend this past Christmas.

Thank You! The narration did end with, "That was the best summer I ever had!"

Go to Top of Page

diskojoe

161 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  16:13:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're welcome. By the way, the answer for the Egyptian Sun God (2 letters) is "RA"
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  10:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey diskojoe,
Thanks for the info. I just ordered the DVD.
By the way, the MoMA artist usually is KLEE.
Ken...
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  11:41:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

You're welcome. By the way, the answer for the Egyptian Sun God (2 letters) is "RA"

Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  11:42:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by S C Jones

quote:

Hey, you do the crossword puzzles too, or you're razzing me?

Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  12:19:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SC - My wife and I do the daily puzzle (the United Features Syndicate one) and the larger Premier Crossword that appears in our Sunday TV section. Ken...
Go to Top of Page

diskojoe

161 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  12:26:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SC, I was just being a bit o' a wisenheimer & razzing you, sorry about that
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  17:52:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

SC, I was just being a bit o' a wisenheimer & razzing you, sorry about that

Hey, Dis, I can take it. I'm a bit of a wisenheimer myself.

Ken, I do the two in our Sunday paper--Los Angeles and New York Times--I especially like to do them while watching a golf game in which Tiger is playing. There is a crossword puzzle to work daily on MSN.com website, too.

Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  07:54:10  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Where did everyone go????

A 1967 Graduate of Hammond High who cherishes his memories of growing up in the Hammond of the 1950's and 1960's. Bring back those days!

Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  10:24:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Tom and others,
I'm over here in West Virginia. There's not much to say right now except I did just buy the DVD of "My Summer Story" from Amazon.com and probably will get around to watching it tomorrow.
Ken...
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  10:54:33  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ken
Thanks...I'll go to Amazon.

lkjh

Edited by - svea3 on 05/23/2007 23:14:58
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  18:49:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, I'm here in Tennessee--been thinking the same thing. Funny, how we all stopped at the same time, isn't it.

I have been searching the Hammond Archives on line--not a lot there for me, though. I also finally went to the Purdue site online in the last few days.

It appears we are all watching and waiting for a topic. I check in everyday to see what others are saying. When I make my trip to LaPorte, I will get over to Hessville--(September) maybe then I'll have something of interest to relate.

Go to Top of Page

Jim

46 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  10:46:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do we need to start some story telling?

It was another great day in Hessville, industrial soot was collecting on the cars outside and you could hardly detect the sulfuric acid from the Stauffer Chemical Company. Funny how thinking about chemistry class at Morton brought up those memories.

Anyway, this is a chemistry story from the spring semester of 1964. Mrs. Peterson and Mr. Besch were chemistry teachers sharing the same classroom on the third floor of the north wing facing the atrium. Mrs. Peterson was teaching a chemistry class for nursing students. They were performing an experiment where they collected a solid on ashless filter paper, and then burned the ashless filter paper to determine how much solid was collected. It was a relatively simple experiment that would have generated enough smoke from the entire class equivalent to that of a single cigarette.

Meanwhile, Mr. Besch was at lunch and I was left unattended in the chemistry prep lab just behind the classroom. As one of Mr. Beschís lab assistants I was given the job of performing some of the proposed experiments on a small scale to ensure they would work as detailed. Well, this one was on spontaneous combustion. Can you see where this is going? The chemical fume hoods were in the main classroom and I didnít want to disturb the class. So I decided to perform the experiment on the window ledge. I probably should have followed directions and mixed a couple of grams of potassium permanganate and glycerin. But, there were several 1 pound jars of each available. Why not take a Dixie cup full of each and poor them together? That will show me if the experiments works! I poured them together, set the beaker on the outside window ledge, and closed the window. After about a minute the mixture started to smoke ever so slightly. OK, now what? It didnít take long for the smoke to build until the entire beaker shot a loud jet of flames about 2-3 feet high. There was enough smoke generated in the next 10 seconds to completely fill the atrium. The next thing I remember was hearing the fire alarms going off and the building being evacuated. It was really exciting watching the entire Hammond fire department respond. Fortunately, the smoke dissipated before the fire department arrived. Mr. Becker, who had seen the smoke and turned in the alarm, met with the fire chief and proceeded to the chemistry lab. There they met with Mrs. Peterson. I could hear her talking as we were allowed back inside. She found it hard to believe that her class could have generated that much smoke but was extremely apologetic for the problem she thought her class had caused. WOW! Was I ever relieved! After everything settled down and Mr. Besch returned from lunch, I told him the story and showed him the stains I had left on the window sill. We shared a good laugh for many weeks thereafter. It was our secret until today.

Edited by - Jim on 05/24/2007 13:17:54
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  11:20:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim -- Maybe you should pass that on to Dr. Becker. I can give you his email address. Ken...
Go to Top of Page

Jim

46 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  13:25:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suppose I could.

Let's see:

1. I already have my diploma and it is well hidden.
2. Mr. Besch has since retired.
3. The statute of limitations has surely expired.
4. The evidence was consummed in the fire.
5. Mrs. Peterson already took the blame.
6. The scene of the crime no longer exists.

The only part that should bother me is my "confession". And, how could that be taken so literally considering the nature of this site?
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  14:12:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jim

I suppose I could.

Let's see:

1. I already have my diploma and it is well hidden.
2. Mr. Besch has since retired.
3. The statute of limitations has surely expired.
4. The evidence was consummed in the fire.
5. Mrs. Peterson already took the blame.
6. The scene of the crime no longer exists.

The only part that should bother me is my "confession". And, how could that be taken so literally considering the nature of this site?

Ah, "what a tangled web we weave when first we practive to deceive"--and what fear the Becker still instills in the hearts of former students...

Edited by - S C Jones on 05/24/2007 16:53:57
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  18:06:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, but we all have faith in the integrity of the members of this forum, especially those who graduated from good old Oliver P. and, of course, those few among us who are from HHS. Anyway, if you haven't seen it already, take a look at this letter Dr. Becker sent to the class of 1960 that I included in the Memories booklet for our 45th reunion. I have deleted the name and addresses because there are those lurking in the shadows from whom we want to conceal the information. If you would like to contact him, please email me and I will get the information to you.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/wvcogs72/Becker_Letter2-1.jpg

Ken -- Morton High School 1960

Edited by - wvcogs on 05/24/2007 18:10:57
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  23:27:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for reposting that letter, Ken. What a tribute to Morton students and how amazing that Dr. Becker has the same school spirit we felt for the years we were there.

I do remember his being the "attendance commandant." I had a friend who died in a car accident in KY during the last two weeks of my senior year. I asked if I could get out of school to go and was told no. The rule was that a funeral absence had to be for family.

So I just went anyway. When I returned, having missed only one day, I reported to Dr. Becker's office and was given a week of after-school detention.

I gladly accepted that rule. That was the only time I was ever in after-school detention. Did I go out in style, or what?

Edited by - S C Jones on 05/24/2007 23:28:55
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  11:31:02  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey Jim!

I knew I liked you for some reason? I was Mrs Peterson's Lab Assistant!

My error was not that spectacular... only not wearing that stupid rubber apron when preparing a 5% solution of H2SO4 before school. I hiked it quickly home and changed. Otherwise Cal City would have had a competitor and you guys would have enjoyed it, for sure. Mrs Peterson remembered the incident at our reunion and had a good chuckle.
Go to Top of Page

Jim

46 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  19:34:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You certainly picked the right smiley for me!

While we are on the topic of Mrs. Peterson, I recall another 'humerous' incident. She had recently purchased a new Mettler single pan analytical balance. It was top quality for even college labs. However, most students were pretty hard on it. Well, one day the balance knobs were turned too quickly and the balance was broken. I heard her tell Mr. Besch that she had contacted the factory in Chicago and they would send a repairman. When she left for lunch (here we go again) I got out the installation manual,removed the top of the balance, made the repair, put it back together, and adjusted the accuracy to factory specs. I told Mr. Besch but not Mrs. Peterson. When the factory rep arrived later that afternoon he was surprised to find the balance working perfectly. Mrs. Peterson was speechless as he grumbled about his wasted trip!

My mechanical ability and curiosity was from my dad and junkin' in the alleys to and from Harding for anything that could be taken apart.

Edited by - Jim on 05/25/2007 23:05:23
Go to Top of Page

eyebab

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  21:18:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another story re: Mr. Becker. A bunch of us were hauled into his office for throwing snowballs near the front of the school. Of course there were protestations from everyone that they were innocent. Becker held up his hand for silence and then said, "Did anyone here throw a snowball?" Someone spoke up and admitted their guilt. Becker said that they were free to go.

Now I thought that was a pretty good deal, so I immediately spoke up and said, "I threw one, too." Becker looked at me, smiled and said, "Sorry. Too late." So it was on to Mr. Ruff.
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2007 :  11:28:40  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
MR RUFF STORY:

Story1: At Halloween my brother and his compatriots planned an assult on his house. Then planned and plotted several nights as to how best to attack and TP. Now Sgt Ruff's "intellence" was superior to these 10th graders. He was hiding among the bushes and captured them with his"AH-HA" RINGING VERY BRIGHTLY. Foiled!

Story 2:When I graduated my brother and I went over to his house for a visit. He was always great for a war story- like making a private go back to the jeep for a map across the whizzing of bullets.He got discipline amongst the ranks quickly. Anyrate, the night developed into a game of 5- handed pinochle. Just at the penaltimut momment when my brother and I would WIN,I casually looked at his daughet's hand. WHICH WAS right out there... clear as a bell, we took the trick. WELL, LINDA ...ONE LOOK IS WORTH TWO FINESSES! chortle,chortle,chortle

That phrase has joined our family's lexicon. What a super teacher he was...Jesuit to the end. I used his deck of cards with every class which I taught!
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  16:04:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, here is THE question:
All of us Hessvillites were aware if the existence of this place, but I never knew it by name--maybe it never had one.
On the west side of the 6400 block of Kennedy is some little bitty trailer court. Did/does it have an official name other than "that little bitty court"?

Also:
Does anybody actually know anybody who lives/lived there? Maybe a manager or something? There is no pool guy........Cj
Go to Top of Page

Pro2am

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  11:53:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Chris,

Not sure of the name of the court but AFAIK it's still there. If I remember I'll check for a name next time I go that way. :)

Mike Rapchak Jr.

--------------------------------

quote:

OK, here is THE question:
All of us Hessvillites were aware if the existence of this place, but I never knew it by name--maybe it never had one.
On the west side of the 6400 block of Kennedy is some little bitty trailer court. Did/does it have an official name other than "that little bitty court"?

Also:
Does anybody actually know anybody who lives/lived there? Maybe a manager or something? There is no pool guy........Cj

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  13:00:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, it's still there. I just have no idea how to refer to it:
Hessville Estates?
Frank Hammond Village? I don't know.
Thanks Mike
Cj
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  18:46:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone remember the name of the game show that had a Hammond (maybe two)
guest in the 60's. Do you remember the reason for the guest(s)? (I do remember, but I may not have the right game show in mindI— I wanted to give you the chance to bring up the memory, if you have it stored away.

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  13:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The old show, "You Bet Your Life" comes to mind. Isn't that the one when you said the right thing the duck would come down?....Cj
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  14:43:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was Groucho Marx' show, but not the one. It was either I've Got A Secret or What's My Line (of work). The contestant(s) from Hammond were the first in the nation to have this way of dealing with an everyday enforcement problem in our society. I think the show aired in the early 60's.

Edited by - S C Jones on 06/01/2007 14:48:51
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  17:45:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also remember the show "You Asked For It". This was the one where people would write in asking to see things a bit out of the ordinary. I do remember them profiling somebody From Hammond in law enforcement who was the first in the nation to patrol by air. I can't remember the name of the cop, though. Ramian comes to mind. I know there was a Ramian in the insurance business, but I don't remember if there was one in law enforcement....Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 06/01/2007 17:47:29
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  20:00:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I also remember the show "You Asked For It". This was the one where people would write in asking to see things a bit out of the ordinary. I do remember them profiling somebody From Hammond in law enforcement who was the first in the nation to patrol by air. I can't remember the name of the cop, though. Ramian comes to mind. I know there was a Ramian in the insurance business, but I don't remember if there was one in law enforcement....Cj

CJ,
That was the thing I meant. I don't remember the cop's name either. Just that Hammond was the first to patrol by air and to mark the highways with painted stripes across the lanes, I guess as mileage markers. I don't think it has continued. They gave themselves away with the pubilicity....?

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  07:54:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They put the stripes a mile apart and then, from a plane, timed how long it took you to drive from one stripe to the next. Sixty seconds=60 MPH. If you did it inside of ten seconds, you were obviously from another planet. It was probably the advent of radar that did away with the stripes.
I'm going to have to check with my sister. As I remember, she was in a grade school class with the son of whomever that policeman was. I thought for sure something like that would pop up on internet, but not for me

Now I have a question for you. You have displayed some knowledge of Black Oak from days gone by. I don't know how long it's been since you've seen the area, but there is a school, Grissom Elementary, on the south side of 25th Ave. It is on the 7200 block. I estimate that it was built sometime roughly around 1970, maybe a little before. Is it reasonable for me to think that there were once houses in that area before the school was built?

Look at the photo below.

I have been given reason to believe that this house once existed on the south side of 25th just west of school. The photo was taken in 1950. In your opinion, would this picture fit in with Black Oak at that time and place? Do you have any info you can share with me regarding this?
We have been in contact with the Lake Co. Assessor's office about this and they simply have no information on it...........Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 06/02/2007 09:35:25
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  12:49:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ:
I haven't been back to Black Oak for years--however, I once drove to a grade school (see how old I am, I still call it grade school) that I think was Grissom to pick up a niece and nephew. I remember the school being on the North side of 25th Ave. I definitely know there were houses on the opposite side of 25th. I will have to check with my oldest nephew to see if he remembers if it was Grissom and if it was on the N or S of 25th.

When I hear from him, I'll get back with you.

SJ

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  13:43:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for that answer, SC!
There was an old Devault-Grissom school on the north side before the new Grissom on the south. The old one has been removed. What's really important to me now is that you are sure of houses on the south side. Does the name of Cunningham,Kindel or Richards in that neighborhood sound familiar to you?

How does James Dowling (mayor's son) sound to you as the pilot to that plane?........Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 06/02/2007 13:52:15
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  14:18:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ:
I really do not remember the name of the pilot, it could have been Dowling!

I think the name Kindel may be the name of a girl I knew--not sure. The girl I knew was dating a guy named Vince for a time. They broke up and I dated him a few times. I am not sure, but I think she and he got back together. ??? I think she was a cousin of someone I knew--can't remember who? But she definitely lived on the southside of 25th and in the area near the tracks--(between the two railroads that ran through there.

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  16:51:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should have stated it a little differently. My mother told me she remembers that it was James Dowling....Cj
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  19:41:13  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
NOW There was a WALTER Johnson, from OPMorton, who went on a dance TV show in Chicago. He's passed away though. Does anyone remember him? I just want to say that there was just one more Johnson WHO is NOT related to me. All you Johnson's who are on this site.... was he related to any of you?
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  20:46:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not me!
By the way, did you ever contact your cousins about the "bikes at the diner" pix I posted?

Edited by - seejay2 on 06/03/2007 20:48:53
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  09:23:43  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
SEEJAY:

Thanks for reminding me. He's back to Valpo for the summer. Would you tell where that pix is? I know is on this site,just tell me the number. I will call him and then tell his wife about the circumstances. His nicname was "White-y" as he had white blond hair to contrast with that leather jacket.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page