Page: of 27

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  13:01:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by svea3

Where's Joel Smolen, anyway?

Check the list of members. He has registered and is out there lurking somewhere. Ken...
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  14:23:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lynray38--okay! glad to have communications with someone older than I. You graduated from Morton 2 years before I did. I attended the second semester of 6th grade through 12th. Namaste'

Candes Italian Beef sandwiches---please, you are making me hungry!

John, any recipe you can provide that will touch that taste, is more than welcome by me.

Grand Park Subdivision 1940-1961 Boondocks of Hessville!

Edited by - S C Jones on 04/30/2007 18:01:16
Go to Top of Page

johncmccann

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  14:52:30  Show Profile  Visit johncmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Joel lives in Florida, around Tampa I think, he forwarded an email from Ken to me that led me here, Ken sent a general website to me earlier, but I didn't find this forum with that link, I'll tell Joel you asked and he will probably pop in to say hi.

John
Go to Top of Page

johncmccann

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  15:14:18  Show Profile  Visit johncmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by S C Jones

lynndesert--okay! glad to have communications with someone older than I. You graduated from Morton 2 years before I did. I attended the second semester of 6th grade through 12th. Namaste'

Candes Italian Beef sandwiches---please, you are making me hungry!

John, any recipe you can provide that will touch that taste, is more than welcome by me.

I made the request for a written recipe, she doesn't have a recipe written down but I think she is going to try to write it down for me later today, I'll post it when I get it.

John

Edited by - johncmccann on 04/30/2007 15:46:33
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  18:08:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone remember the grade-school sings at the Civic Center? Each school picked one or two from each grade --maybe just 5th and 6th or just 6th grade and all came together at the Civic Center and sang as a chorus. The year I was in that city-wide chorus (Spring of 1953), there was a girl who had a solo--whistling and entire song. (I think the teachers in my class picked the best singer--the other girl who was taking voice lessons, and the worst--me. Really, I was so shy, the teacher had to lean in with her ear to my mouth to hear me.

Go to Top of Page

johncmccann

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  18:33:55  Show Profile  Visit johncmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Does anyone remember the grade-school sings at the Civic Center? Each school picked one or two from each grade --maybe just 5th and 6th or just 6th grade and all came together at the Civic Center and sang as a chorus. The year I was in that city-wide chorus (Spring of 1953), there was a girl who had a solo--whistling and entire song. (I think the teachers in my class picked the best singer--the other girl who was taking voice lessons, and the worst--me. Really, I was so shy, the teacher had to lean in with her ear to my mouth to hear me.

I remember going to the Civic Center to swim in the indoor pool, lots of echos and chlorine smell.

John
Go to Top of Page

Pro2am

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  19:38:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lynn,

AFAIK Carney's was on the northwest corner of Orchard Drive & Grand. The northeast corner of 173rd and Grand used to be empty of buildings, so this may have been the area that froze over. In 1966, during summer vacation, I worked for the Hammond Park Dept. One of our projects was clearing this area of brush, roots, etc., after it had been bulldozed and graded. Scott Middle School was then built on this spot. :)

Mike Rapchak Jr.
--------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by lynndesert

SC Jones,
I grew up near 173rd/Grand. Never knew there was any skating out that way. We always went to Hessville Park. Do you remember “Carney’s”, little store at 173rd/Grand? We stopped there almost every morning on our way to the new Morton. Had my first car accident there. My brother was actually in the store when it got robbed for the first time. Even though I grew up in that area, never been east of Grand. That was forbidden.

Anyone from end of Hessville?

Linda, after reading some of the previous posts, I noticed the photo of two women at a soda shop. You verified the woman on the right as Violette Lipke. How do you know her?

Mike, don’t think Ed is aware of this site.

Lynn

Go to Top of Page

lynndesert

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  10:30:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, thanks for the update. Had no idea there is a school at that corner. Funny, I had to pass that corner almost every day and couldn't remember was what across the street from Carney's. What's on the corner where Carney's used to be?
Lynn
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  13:14:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone interested in Black Oak--from your past messages, I'd say you're not--there is a website re: the beginnings of Black Oak and there are pictures of buildings there. There is also an article re: Hessville and the fact that Hammond was the city that supplied electric, gas, water to Black Oak, not Gary as I originally thought.

If you are a history buff, you will enjoy the article about Black Oak's beginnings.

The reason I have an interest in Black Oak is that I crossed that dreaded line from Hessville into Black Oak as a teenager and found real, live, honest-to-goodness nice, caring people who were living in a no-man's land and ekeing out a living by working at the mills and refinerys, just like the people of Hessville. I attended church at the Black Oak Baptist Church as a teen and until I left Hessville.

Look at the site, and look at the U.S. floodplain and hazardous sites map--of both Hessville and Black Oak..... some of that land was fill in from Lake Michigan swamp/wet lands. It is at Burr Street that Gary begins and the major "scare" was all about. I"ll have to say, though the school my church friends went to was a scary ordeal--Calumet Township, on Ridge Road.
Here's the environmental site showing streets of our town and beyond:
http://134.67.99.109/wme/myWindow.asp?xl=-87.39722&yt=41.58889&xr=-87.43722&yb=41.55889

OOPS! THIS JUST IN--This may be why Black Oak was/is off limits:
http://cbs2chicago.com/northwestindianabureau/local_story_080094614.html

Edited by - S C Jones on 05/01/2007 13:29:39
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  13:56:48  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I remember singing ar the Civic Center and we even had to wear certain clothes. That was a really big deal. We were a city of 120.000+ people living in Hammond.The Civic Center was the site of Circus. Do you remember that week long event?
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  14:15:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do remember the Circus in the Civic Center and I saw the Harlem Globetrotters play there. That was when Goose Tatum was playing for the Globetrotters.

quote:

I remember singing ar the Civic Center and we even had to wear certain clothes. That was a really big deal. We were a city of 120.000+ people living in Hammond.The Civic Center was the site of Circus. Do you remember that week long event?

Edited by - S C Jones on 05/01/2007 14:21:44
Go to Top of Page

eyebab

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  14:26:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a lot of freedom as a youngster, but my parents warned me not to venture toward Black Oak. Consequently it was mysterious, taboo, and subject to a lot of rumors and stories. As you say... there were some nice, regular people living there. Lesson learned.

On another note, we've talked a lot about Mom and Pop stores, and two groceries in Hessville that have not been mentioned were located on the north side of 169th between Wicker and Indianapolis Blvd. One was named Luddy's and the family had a daughter Ruth and if she graduated from Morton, would have been in the class of about 1960.

Also, anyone a fan of pierogies? A ravioli-type dish claimed by both Polish and Lithuanians. Chuck and Irene's served them, and I'm sure there must have been other places you could get them that I would love to hear about from the Forum.
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  16:08:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eyebab

One was named Luddy's and the family had a daughter Ruth and if she graduated from Morton, would have been in the class of about 1960.
Jerry -- Ruth Luddy graduated from Morton in the class of 1961. .. Ken...
Go to Top of Page

johncmccann

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  16:43:59  Show Profile  Visit johncmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johncmccann

quote:
Originally posted by seejay2

Gentlemen, if we had the pizza and Italian beef recipes today, I guarantee we would be too busy counting money from the business to be talking about it on this forum.....Cj

I thought that someone reading this forum might have worked there and has been making the sandwiches for his or her family all this time and might be willing to share the recipe with the mouth watering masses. My wife is from Hessville too and makes a sausage sandwich that tastes similar, she doesn't use a recipe, but maybe I could have her write it down so I could post it, she doesn't compute.

John

My wife finally wrote down her non recipe for Sausage sandwiches that have the taste of Cande's, so here it is.
1 package of Itallian sweet sausages
1 can of tomato paste
6 bell peppers, sliced
brown sausages, remove from skillet
add tomato paste and 2 cans of water to pan, stir until mixed
add garlic powder, oregano, Italian seasoning, and parcley flakes to taste
add bell pepers and sausages, cook until peppers are soft and sausages are done
serve on Hoagy rolls.
I think if you used thin sliced roast beef instead of sausage you would have something very close in taste to the Cande's roast beef sandwiches.
If any of you try it, let me know what you think.

John
Go to Top of Page

johncmccann

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  16:58:44  Show Profile  Visit johncmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I do remember the Circus in the Civic Center and I saw the Harlem Globetrotters play there. That was when Goose Tatum was playing for the Globetrotters.

quote:

I remember the circus there too and I also attended the Globetrotters game if you can call it a game, very funny.
One time while watching the Circus I was eating some popcorn and the clowns set off some sort of explosion, I think with a photography skit and flash powder, anyway, it startled "read scared the heck out of" me and my popcorn flew over about six rows in front of me.
I also remember that my mother made a two person Camel costume that a friend of mine and I wore for some event there, I don't remember what or who was in the costume with me. It could have been Fred Holly if it was a Cub Scout thing, his mother was our leader.

John
Go to Top of Page

Pro2am

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  17:31:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry,

I'm not positive, but I think that area is part of Woodmar rather than Hessville.

Now that you've mentioned it, I remember Luddy's. All of those builings are still there (including the one on 169th & Woodmar Ave. that used to be the Brauer drug store) but AFAIK none of the original businesses occupy them. :-)

Mike Rapchak Jr.
Hammond

-------------------------------

quote:

On another note, we've talked a lot about Mom and Pop stores, and two groceries in Hessville that have not been mentioned were located on the north side of 169th between Wicker and Indianapolis Blvd. One was named Luddy's and the family had a daughter Ruth and if she graduated from Morton, would have been in the class of about 1960.

Go to Top of Page

Pro2am

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  17:38:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lynn,

AFAIK the building that housed Carney's is still there (NW corner of Orchard Drive & Grand); I don't know what business currently occupies it.

Scott school is on the NE corner of 173rd & Grand, a ways north of Carney's across the NS ex-NKP railroad tracks. The other three corners of this intersection have houses (and always have).

I don't recall what used to be east of Carney's (across Grand) but there's an apartment complex there now. South of it (across Orchard Drive) is - or at least used to be - a little league baseball field and Orchard Drive elementary school - which I belive was recently torn down. :)

Mike R.

-----------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by lynndesert

Mike, thanks for the update. Had no idea there is a school at that corner. Funny, I had to pass that corner almost every day and couldn't remember was what across the street from Carney's. What's on the corner where Carney's used to be?
Lynn

Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  17:52:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check this issue of Flashback, the newsletter of the Hammond Historical Society. It contains an interesting article on page 3 about Joseph Hess and the founding of Hessville. Since the link to the Historical Sociey newsletter site was posted earlier, some of you may have seen this article already.

http://www.hammondindiana.com/January2003news.pdf

Ken -- Morton High School 1960
Go to Top of Page

Pro2am

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  19:09:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda,

Received a couple of e-mails from Joel the other day. It turns out that he and I are related on my Dad's side. What a surprise! :)

Mike Rapchak Jr.

---------------------------------

quote:

Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  22:35:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also, anyone a fan of pierogies? A ravioli-type dish claimed by both Polish and Lithuanians. Chuck and Irene's served them, and I'm sure there must have been other places you could get them that I would love to hear about from the Forum.

Yes eyebab, anyone who has eaten pierogis (and I've no doubt eaten thousands) must be a fan. There was a Catholic or Orthodox church somewhere in Hammond where the ladies made pierogis. You would call during the week and place your order and then pick them up on Saturday. They were still doing this as of about 10 years ago, and may still be doing it today, I don't know. There was sauerkraut, cheese, potato, and even a plum pudding variety. Marusczak's sausage store in Woodmar probably sold them too.
Now you've got my mouth watering for pierogis, galubki, kielbasa (but definitely not for kiska - yuch).
Go to Top of Page

Jim

46 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  23:12:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry folks, kishka was one of my favorite meals, but never had it after leaving home. I've told my wife many times how I would like to find some again. Then I looked it up on the internet. Now I say double YUCH !! I know I don't want to try it again. Mind over matter ??
Go to Top of Page

johncmccann

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  23:58:31  Show Profile  Visit johncmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvcogs

Check this issue of Flashback, the newsletter of the Hammond Historical Society. It contains an interesting article on page 3 about Joseph Hess and the founding of Hessville. Since the link to the Historical Sociey newsletter site was posted earlier, some of you may have seen this article already.

http://www.hammondindiana.com/January2003news.pdf

I knew a Vernon Hess during my stay in Hessville, he drove an old Studebaker with a vengence, it had overdrive and it allowed him to put it into reverse while driving forward, one of his most hair raising stunts was to go through an intersection spinning his wheels in reverse and spinning around in circles. He ran into the gas pumps at the gas station accross the street from Cande's, it was a hangout for some of my friends that were there when it happened who said the light pole by the pumps went through the big window of the station on the heels of the friends escaping into the garage.

John
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  12:30:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a good one!!
I had friends crazy enough to try a stunt like that(me too) IF their cars would have taken that abuse........Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 05/02/2007 12:31:23
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  09:28:54  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
All,

Ruth Luddy was in '61 and since I believe has passed. Her dad claimed to see UFO's and was written up in the Times. He was thought to be little 'looney' because he said they were about to land in the playround next to the school in Woodmar.

Ruth roomed with Judy Bogan and me on the trip to Washington. She had cooked up a plan to meet the guys after we were in lock down. The counselors did a room check in our room. I was sleeping on the cot and had the blanket over my head. The C threatened to send us back to Hessville and thought I was a boy. They ripped off the blanket and there I was. So they were embarrassed and just admonished us!
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  13:43:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back from the Old Country!
I will fulfil the requests made of me:
Ken, here's yours
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Ken2.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Ken1.jpg

Jim, here's a couple for you
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Jim2.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Jim1.jpg

For those of you that were concerned with the rumor that the Hansen Branch had been razed---put it out of your mind. As you all know, it is not the Hansen Branch (at least to the rest of The New World)any more. It is now called The New Life Family Learning Cemter.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/HansenDoor.jpg

I went inside to see if it had changed much. Most if it, bookshelves, front desk and such are still there, with some modifications such as the computers. One thing that has remained was that unique smell, I guess that "book smell" that the place had. I haven't been in there since the 60's and the smell remained. It has been the Learning Center for five years now. They were happy to let me photograph inside.

This is facing west.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/HanW.jpg

This one speaks for itself.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Handesk.jpg

This is to the east.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/HanE.jpg

and here is the foyer.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Hanfoyer.jpg

Somebody also expressed some concern as to what now stands where Carney's used to be. Here it is, another rare find--a pizza joint!
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Carney-1.jpg

Since this website is built around Shep, I guess it's only fair to include a photo of his house on Cleveland as it is today........Cj
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Shep.jpg
Go to Top of Page

johncmccann

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  14:19:11  Show Profile  Visit johncmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by seejay2

Back from the Old Country!
I will fulfil the requests made of me:
Ken, here's yours

Wow, great pictures, I spent a fair amount of time in the library too, it was also my excuse to borrow the car.

John
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  16:14:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ,
Thanks very much for the pix. The house sure looks much better than it did when I saw it the last time about twenty years ago. The new owners have done some needed remodeling: primarily siding to replace the cedar shakes that had not been stained in years and replacement vinyl windows. Also, I really appreciated the photos of Hansen Branch.

Edited by - wvcogs on 05/03/2007 16:22:47
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  17:10:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had Candes Italian Roast Beef Sandwich on my mind for days now. So, I went to the net and found a place in Valparaiso--Pestos Italian Restaurant. This is no their menu:

Italian Beef
Italian beef on a French bun. Served with pepperocini peppers and au jus

Beef Boat
Italian beef with onions, green peppers, marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese

I am going to be up that way in September and I will let you know if their Beef Boat is anything near the caliber of Candes'.

Edited by - S C Jones on 06/22/2011 08:43:27
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  19:39:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Ken,
Actually the Ken and Jim houses are two of the better looking ones on the street. People just aren't keeping them up the way they used to. I've got some Soda Shop pix to put up later. Pretty much the same layout after all these years. Absolutely no doubt, 6429 Kennedy....Cj
PS I'm supposed to ask: do you remember a Betty Kelley from the Hansen Branch?

Edited by - seejay2 on 05/03/2007 20:15:59
Go to Top of Page

Jim

46 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  21:52:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ,
Sorry, I read the messages too fast.

Thanks so much for the pics. What a gold mine you added here. I see there has been a new roof in the last 40 years! But, I don't even want to know what happened to the 3/4" thick asbestos siding.

I remember running away from home my first time and making it about 3-4 feet just this side of the gate. A 1950 or 51 American Flyer I think. How brave I was back then!

Jim

Edited by - Jim on 05/04/2007 14:19:45
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  09:54:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,

It would be nice if I were able to make a trip back to the "Old Country" to visit some of the folks there and to take those photos; but we have to give the credit here for those fine images to CJ.
--------

CJ,

Sorry, I don't remember a Betty Kelley. Maybe some of the other guys or gals on the forum do. I'm looking forward to seeing the additional soda shop pix.

Ken...

Edited by - wvcogs on 05/04/2007 10:52:40
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  11:32:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The door in the new photo is a new installation (don't wanna hear, "See I told you it was a door!"). I would liked to have leaned more to the right to shoot the pic, but they have built a little bitty office right there preventing me from doing so. Important thing is, this is definitely the place we were looking for.
Here is the 1949 pic:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Sodashopfriend.jpg

This is 2007:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Soda1.jpg

I figure the original door was somewhere here over to the right:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Soda3.jpg

There is a place on the side of the building, outside, where an old doorway has been sealed up with cinder block.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Sodacinder.jpg

By the way, isn't that some interesting architecture? Frank Lloyd Wrong maybe?...Cj

Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  12:25:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good job, CJ. See, I told you it was a phone booth! Yes, that's wonderful architecture -- very, very early DIY. ... Ken...

Edited by - wvcogs on 05/04/2007 12:25:27
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  12:48:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I told Lynn earlier that the white thing looked like it blew in with Dorothy and Toto........Cj
Go to Top of Page

eyebab

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  16:00:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those of us who nostalgically yearn for the good old days(40's-60's) of Hessville, what do you think it was that made the place special? Was it the times, the middle-class values, the melting pot, the isolation and self-sufficiency,the morality of the day? I don't think it was the scenery!!! Shep seemed to capture a part of it, but just what was it that he captured?
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  18:24:07  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A LOT OF LIFE... AND IT WAS SUPER TO BE ALIVE THEN.

I had a wonderful time at my reunion and I met many who I never persnally knew then. Two fellows who were evidentally in my art class regailed me with stories on how they managed to eek out a passing grade from Mr Waring.

Life was simple and goals were so attainable.
Go to Top of Page

johncmccann

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  18:52:40  Show Profile  Visit johncmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

For those of us who nostalgically yearn for the good old days(40's-60's) of Hessville, what do you think it was that made the place special? Was it the times, the middle-class values, the melting pot, the isolation and self-sufficiency,the morality of the day? I don't think it was the scenery!!! Shep seemed to capture a part of it, but just what was it that he captured?

I think each of us had a different experience in the same environment, that allows us to share memories of places that might vary individually but bring us together in a time and place that was safe and free and educational and full of sensations and tastes, and even the smells of the Calumet region.

John
Go to Top of Page

Jim

46 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  23:29:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Jim1 photo brings back some additional memories. I had forgotten the older electrical towers to the right just next to the IHB tracks. Not only could you hear them hum and crackle on humid summer days, but those towers drew the attention of some very strong lightning hits during the nasty storms we used to get. Loud enough to make this 8 year old jump in bed!
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  12:06:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wasn't there a thing like this south of 165th or was it right by American Can?
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/coaltower.jpg
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  12:46:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, although It looked a bit narrower, but it was a concrete structure, I believe this is a coal hopper for loading the steam engines. I don't recall the exact location, but I remember driving past it all the time. I'm sure it was somewhere near where you remember it.
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  14:30:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My assessment of our fond memories of living in the '40s-60's in Hessville:

We lived in the moment and had the freedom of summer with no schedule--maybe a vacation with the family for a week, then back to the exploration of our own lives with our friends.

We lived where we shopped. Our Grand Park "little store" was on the east side of Grand at 171st We "owned" our neighborhood. In my case, doors to houses were not locked. Our neighborhood moms were just that. There were afternoons of sitting in the front yard--(no one had a front porch) with neighbors stopping to talk and you could hear the grownups talk about what was happening in the neighborhood, while you played a card game with your best friends on a blanket nearby.

We used to call our friends out---"Oh, Bobby, come on out and play." We had one kid who called this: "Oh, Marvin, come on out an bring an orange." Guess he was hungry, or maybe he had an orange and didn't want to share it.

We all played baseball in the street with mitts and a hardball. Our evening games were usually hide-and-seek, kick-the-can, tag games. Everyone had a bike and we rode them from daylight to dusk--races, errands, and transportation to Hessville (business district--library, Dairy Queen, Fifields for a cherry coke).

We walked the tracks from our neighborhood to within a block of Kennedy and then to the ACE for double feature, newsreel, and cartoons--all for .25 before we were 13--then it became .50.

My Dad and neighbors played poker at our kitchen table at least once a month--wives and husbands and the talk and banter made for a feeling of family--the children of the neighbors (my friends) and I were in and out of each others houses--on poker nights we visited the poker table to get a quarter from one of the players. It was the time to ask for money--they wanted you out of there, or at least quiet, while they wagered their pennies/nickels/dimes/and quarters.....

Life was simpler because we did not hear and see broadcast all the gory details of scandals and horrors that people commit in the name of despair and even "love". When Opal Collins murdered her husband, his mother, and two sisters on Orchard Drive in (I think it was 1954), there were headlines in the paper. I don't remember any news of it on TV. It was a local happening--but as the trial began later, there was more widespread coverage. I attended the trial in Crown Point with neighborhood mothers because I had been a friend to one of the sisters who was killed.

But even that was not in our neighborhood--and we considered it a family problem of people from the hills of Kentucky--an isolated incident.

We lived in an-end-of and post-war era that saw our parents feeling safer and carefree, with money being made by them that they probably never dreamed they'd make even as they worked in mills, refineries, and other industries that required honest labor.

Oh, who was it who recalled the "smell" of the area. When I returned for a summer after my first year of college, I was surprised by the familiarity of the "smell." The very dirt--black as coal--reeked. I can smell it now.

The times, the pre-electronic, pre-TV hold on our lives, the shared lives we had with neighbor kids whose families we knew and they knew us--I think we had true community, without the separations that we have come to view as needed for our safety because of density in population that is growing and which grows crime. And, lest I forget--the menace of illegal drugs that ensares the users and adds to the dangers we face with invasion of our homes.

I am fortunate to live in a neighborhood with houses much like the one I grew up in. I have lived here since 1982 and know most of the people on my block. The difference here at this time is there are few children. When I moved here there were teens who cut a path across my yard over the years and continued to do so as they visited each other. Now, they are grown and gone. There are four children on this block now and 2 who are part-time (parents divorced). One of my next-door neighbors was born and raised in Valpo!
So, he and I talk about Da Region.

I have become the surrogate dog-rounder-upper for the block. While everyone is at work, their dogs take a notion to dig out for a wade in the creek that runs through our neighborhood....

Enough,--needless to say, I long for "the good ole' days" when I could walk to the "Little Store" (we called it that!) for a butterscotch bar.

Edited by - S C Jones on 06/22/2011 08:49:56
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  14:32:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sad thing is, we used to climb up into that thing. We should have been killed as rickety and loose as that thing was, but we made it and I can't remember exactly where is was. If one wanted to look at pigeons in every stage of developement from egg to dead, it was up inside of that thing..........Cj
Go to Top of Page

eyebab

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  15:29:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by S C Jones

My assessment of our fond memories of living in the '40s-60's in Hessville:

Thanx for a great little essay. We were lucky back then, wern't we.
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  22:30:09  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
NOPE luck had little to do with it.
We intelligently,
with freewill
made the correct choices
to our destiny.

You are when, where and to whom you were born, being shaped and developed by
your choices..
Go to Top of Page

johncmccann

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  22:50:15  Show Profile  Visit johncmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

NOPE luck had little to do with it.
We intelligently,
with freewill
made the correct choices
to our destiny.

You are when, where and to whom you were born, being shaped and developed by
your choices..

I didn't have the choice to live in Hessville, my parents made that choice for me and it was a good one. Even their choice was following my father's job from Argo to the Gibson yard, so I do think there was a bit of chance involved and who I am has been shaped by friends, family and community as well as the choices I made when I was old enough to shape my own destiny. I did enjoy living in Hessville and having the freedom to explore the area in a safe, friendly, environment.

John
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  06:58:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back around 1950, which high school would one from Black Oak be most likely to attend?...Cj
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  08:00:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wife had a couple friends who lived on Burr St. and attended the one on Ridge Road. Was it Calumet Township? Ken...

Edited by - wvcogs on 05/06/2007 08:10:58
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  08:43:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was the only one I could think of.
Thanks
Cj
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  10:07:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some time back I posted the photo on this link to see if any of you from Hessville recognized any of the kids.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/wvcogs72/Hammond%20Scenes/HessvillePark.jpg

CJ was able to identify some of them. How about it Mike and the rest of you, do you recognize anyone?

The pix was taken in the early to mid 1960s at Hessville Park and was printed in a promotional booklet that was published by the Hammond Chamber of Commerce in 1966.

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  10:54:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by wvcogs

Some time back I posted the photo on this link to see if any of you from Hessville recognized any of the kids.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/wvcogs72/Hammond%20Scenes/HessvillePark.jpg

CJ was able to identify some of them. How about it Mike and the rest of you, do you recognize anyone?

I do have one more. It's the girl in the middle with her hand to her chin. Her name is Donna Buza.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Buza.jpg

I'm pretty sure of another; the lad with the white T-shirt, but I'm still looking through my boxcar full of old photos for the one to back me up....Cj
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page