Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  12:38:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I'm looking forward to getting the map, and will let you know as soon as it gets here. Let's hope the post office remembers this is West Virginia and not the Old Dominion ...Ken
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  12:51:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ and others -- Regarding the Kennedy Avenue directory you posted... It shows three addresses on the west side of the street between George's Pin Bowl at 6716 and the old address for the A & P at 6730. All I remember there is a vacant lot/parking lot. Does anyone remember any buildings in that area? Could this picture have anything to do with the making of a parking lot out of the area after the buildings were demolished? That is the Pin Bowl on the left. This is another photo from the Purdue Calumet archives.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/wvcogs72/Archives/KennedyAvenuewestsideSCP410.jpg

Ken -- Morton High School 1960
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  13:17:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One made of straw; one made of sticks; and they had to bulldoze the brick one.
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  13:27:48  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
JC McCann:

My Father owned the building. All I did was to go downstairs. Mayden was in my class at Morton.Do you remember the dogs that lived on top there?.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  13:42:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken,
As of yesterday Hansen Branch was still there....Cj
Go to Top of Page

johncmccann

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  13:48:21  Show Profile  Visit johncmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by svea3

JC McCann:

My Father owned the building. All I did was to go downstairs. Mayden was in my class at Morton.Do you remember the dogs that lived on top there?.

Linda

I'm sorry, I don't remember the dogs, I love animals but I was more interested in cars at that time, I remember that one of the girls that worked there had a T-Bird, I don't remember the year but it was 55 to 57.
I was looking at your past posts and noticed that you went to the Covenant Presbyterian Church, my parents were active there and were involved in the building of the addition. When we started going there Reverend Krupp was the minister. Doctor Eastwood came along later. I used to open the windows in the old church very slowly and grab pigeons by the leg and let them go in the church., I was a baaad boy:) Tom Osmon was a good friend of mine through the church and the MHS Band.
I did a Google Earth search of Jean Shepards home on Cleveland and it was very close to my Friend Richard Canady's house in the next block, I would walk from my house at 3003 Crane Place to Richard's house every day, then we would walk to Harding together, going right past Jean's house.

John
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  14:06:52  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Johns,

I was baptized by Krupp and joined the church with Eastwood. I think that '56 TBird was owned by a blonde cashier named Jeanie?

I am a car buff.I have run many a CRUISE here. My family had an Edsel! AND it was a great car. My Father would buy a new car every year.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

johncmccann

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  14:58:22  Show Profile  Visit johncmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Johns,

I was baptized by Krupp and joined the church with Eastwood. I think that '56 TBird was owned by a blonde cashier named Jeanie?

I am a car buff.I have run many a CRUISE here. My family had an Edsel! AND it was a great car. My Father would buy a new car every year.

Linda

Wow, an Edsel, I am on an email list called macsclubhouse and one of the more active and interesting members owns an Edsel and a Double Decker Bus from London, he lives in SW England, I love car shows and I have a few Albums of pictures at http://community.webshots.com/user/metralla2 They are from Southern California where I lived for 35 years and one from Grand Coulee, Washington about 30 miles from Wilbur where I live now.
This forum has brought back so many memories of my childhood, I have trouble staying on any subject in order to write down a thought before it escapes.
On that thought, does anyone remember hanging out at the Patio drive in on 169th by the water tower?
I married Sandra Sarlea that lived a few blocks from there on Parrish Avenue, her sister Judy lives up here too, she and her husband Walter Haig have the local vinyard and Winery.

John
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  15:54:41  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Great cars! Autorama is big here in Detroit. I helped paint a '78 Lincoln Continental. Just a supershow.. I'd love to see Barett Jackson. My dream is to get there once. Even in FL would be fine.
Go to Top of Page

johncmccann

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  16:21:42  Show Profile  Visit johncmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Great cars! Autorama is big here in Detroit. I helped paint a '78 Lincoln Continental. Just a supershow.. I'd love to see Barett Jackson. My dream is to get there once. Even in FL would be fine.

That reminds me of my first car, a 1947 Chevrolet that I painted in our garage in Hessville, I had just finished spraying the trunk when my dad opened the big garage door to see what I was doing and that caused a tornado of cottonwood seeds to plant themselves on my new paint job. It just took a thinner soaked rag to wipe the paint off so I could repaint but I wasn't a happy teenager. My dad bought the car from Bill Highland's parents to use while his troublesome Nash was in the shop for an extended stay then he gave it to me so I can't complain about the ruined paint.
Ken was kind enough to upload the picture to one of his albums and give me the url to it, it is a picture of my house in Hessville with my 47 Chevy, my dad's 57 Rambler, with my dad peeking out over the top of his car and my mother in the doorway.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/wvcogs72/McCannsCars.jpg

John

Edited by - johncmccann on 04/28/2007 19:09:24
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  16:24:52  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Dave Wright even drove that Edsel to take me to see Black Like Me at the Drive in. Now this was strictly a Presbyterian date! I think Dave became a minister. Right, Ken? I believe he married Janet Baker '59 OPMorton. I was probably his touchstone with "sin"!!!!!

Linda
Go to Top of Page

johncmccann

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  18:07:02  Show Profile  Visit johncmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dave Wright even drove that Edsel to take me to see Black Like Me at the Drive in. Now this was strictly a Presbyterian date! I think Dave became a minister. Right, Ken? I believe he married Janet Baker '59 OPMorton. I was probably his touchstone with "sin"!!!!!

Linda

I just looked through the 59 and 60 Top Hat's to put some faces to the names, I recognized Janet and David although I didn't really know them. I couldn't find your picture though, I probably didn't guess the right last name, I tried Lohse which you mentioned as your father's family in a past post. Ken O'Neal sat next to me in Band and I am in touch with him, Darrell Bliss, Richard Canady, and Joel Smolen on a regular basis. Another Hessvilite that is coming to visit in June is Micki Collins/Cox who lives on Carolina close to 165th street.

John
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  19:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John -- Take a look at this picture. It is 165th and Carolina in the 1950s. Does it look anything like where Micki lives today? .. Ken

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/wvcogs72/Archives/165thandCarolinaSCP450.jpg

Go to Top of Page

johncmccann

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  19:22:10  Show Profile  Visit johncmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvcogs

John -- Take a look at this picture. It is 165th and Carolina in the 1950s. Does it look anything like where Micki lives today? .. Ken

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/wvcogs72/Archives/165thandCarolinaSCP450.jpg

She lives a little farther down the street about half way between Vine and 165th. on the East side of the street. It all looks the same as it did in the fifties.

John
Go to Top of Page

johncmccann

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  19:45:04  Show Profile  Visit johncmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I went looking for albums that might have had pictures of her home the last time I visited but I couldn't find any, what I did find was a picture of my parents in the sixties, Sandy and my Wedding picture, and a class of 55 Morton Junior High, I noticed John Iliff in front, just keep choosing next after you get to the picture this link takes you to.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/1203240432014618152xfpSGm

John

Edited by - johncmccann on 04/28/2007 19:46:38
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  19:45:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, take a look at the image on Google and there is the two story house with the garage behind it. .. Ken
Go to Top of Page

Pro2am

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  20:45:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris,

I'm glad you like the website! It's sad that your Dad isn't here to enjoy it.

I don't recall the 1962 steam event, but I have an idea of who it might have been and what locomotive it was. I'll hazard a guess and say Grand Trunk Western #4070. This steam engine made a lot of appearances around here in the 1960s. The first time that I saw and photographed it was in Griffith in late 1968.

Mike

quote:
Originally posted by seejay2

What a neat site! If dad were alive today, he would never come down off that site. He wouldn't be able to pull himself from the hot water jobs.
Hey Mike, do you remember in 62, some dude who had an afinity for the steamers bought one and ran it around the country live. It came to a Hammond station and all kinds of people were there to film it and look at it. Dad took some 8mm of it, and I have one pic of my brother and I standing by the huge wheels. I waited 'till it stopped so I wouldn't get sucked in....Cj

Go to Top of Page

Pro2am

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  20:51:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom,

I agree with you 100%. There are times when I've wished I could've been born and lived in the 1930s-'40s, but I think that the '50s-early '60s were the best times to be alive and growing up in this country, especially in the Calumet Region. I stil live here but boy, how things have changed (for the worst). There are times where I can't think too deeply about how things were because it's just too painful. It takes a thick skin to endure things the way they are today.

Mike Rapchak Jr.

----------------------------
[/quote]

Mike:

Thanks for the kind words regarding my little essay. I find it very easy to write about the things that I remember from my childhood. I had a great childhood, and I thank God for it.

I have said it before, and I say it again here and now... I would NOT exchange the time of my birth for any time in history. I don't think today's kids are going to have any memories worth reminiscing about when they are our age. The world has grown cold, impersonal, and sterile, compared to the world we grew up in.

Tom

A 1967 Graduate of Hammond High who cherishes his memories of growing up in the Hammond of the 1950's and 1960's. Bring back those days!

[/quote]
Go to Top of Page

Pro2am

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  20:53:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lynn,

Thank you very much for the update. I wonder if Ed is aware of this forum...?

Mike Rapchak Jr.
-------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by lynndesert

Hey Mike,
They are all my cousins, forgot a few. Heard Tommy just moved back to Indiana. Barbara married George, a Greek and had two children. They divorced a long time ago and not sure what happened after that. I think Barbara is still living in Nevada. Ed is still in Hessville. We've been talking about a big family reunion but that's as far as it's gotten.

Lynn

Go to Top of Page

Pro2am

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  20:56:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken,

I don't think that's true (I sure hope it isn't!). Next time I'm over that way I'll check to see.

Mike Rapchak Jr.

-------------------------

quote:

I heard a rumor recently that the old Hansen Branch library on Martha Street in Hessville was torn down recently. Does anyone know if that rumor is true or not. I certainly hope it is not true. Those of us from that area have a lot good memories about times spent at the Hansen Branch. If it's still there, maybe a photo of the building can be another assignment for CJ.

Go to Top of Page

johncmccann

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  21:00:37  Show Profile  Visit johncmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yep, take a look at the image on Google and there is the two story house with the garage behind it. .. Ken

it's the one with the dark roof I think. My computer crashed while looking at it, it doesn't like Google Earth.

John
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  21:26:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike -- CJ assured me that the library is still there. Ken...
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  22:59:10  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
EVERYONE!

My real name is Linda Kay Johnson....the Lohse's are 2nd cousins. My Grandmother was Elfrieda Helen Lohse Johnson having married Wesley Lewis Johnson. My father was Claude H Johnson and was a very interesting character... entrepreneur type. He spent most of his life fishing and hunting, having retired when he was 40. FAH Lohse was my great-great-grandfather and he came here in the 1840's from Saxony,Germany. It was a large family and lived all over Hessville.

Now you will find me in theTOP HAT, John,class of 1960. I then graduated from MichiganState in 1963 in History then began my teaching career of 38 years and working on my Masters in 1967 from University of Michigan Ann Arbor. [Husband got his JD from LawSchool]

Enough already???????

I now live on an island in the Detroit River. Believe it or not they are cutting our electricity tonight so they can lay a new cable to the island. We were the home base for Gerorge HW Bush and Barbara in WWII plus Bob Barker as we were a Naval Air Base. They built Zepplins here between WWI and WWII. I knew the man who did it as he attended my church. GROSSE ILE founded by Cadillac in 1701 before he decided on Detroit for the Fort . The War of1812 was fought right here. If we would have won, Ontario would be in the USA..

Linda Kay Johnson (married name Schoonbeck) Harmon
[My husband passed in 1995] thus the Harmon name for honor of my GreatGrandmother

Edited by - svea3 on 04/28/2007 23:28:40
Go to Top of Page

johncmccann

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  23:48:19  Show Profile  Visit johncmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by S C Jones

Oh, yeah. I remember that--173rd veered off onto Orchard Drive and became 25th Avenue, if I am not mistaken--and into "downtown" Black Oak which was the corner of 25th and Colfax.

BTWÑOur neighborhood kids never went to Hessville Park for winter sports, we had an area off 173rd and Grand that froze and made our hockey/skating rink! The guys used old brooms as their hockey sticks and probably my Dad's Copenhagen snuff cans as the puck.

Do any of your remember the name Eddie Chick? His family lived in the no-man's land area over the Nickel Plate RR tracks off of Grand Ave. between 173rd and Black Oak Road.

How about Stanley Mize? His family lived on 173rd 1st or 2nd house past Maryland/Missouri Avenue. I think Stan became a millionaire with a tire store and real estate/building investments in the Highland area, maybe.

Anybody remember Bobby Keefer, Terry Zako, Donald Butler, Joan Poole, Don Poole, Carmen Moska, Jean Aumiller?

Grand Park Subdivision 1940-1961 Boondocks of Hessville!

I remember the name Stan Mize although I can't remember why. I used to hang out with Jim and Al Drangmeister who lived on Grand avenue. I used to borrow al's Triumph motyorcycle when I visited Hessville on leave from the Air Force, even in the dead of winter.

John
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  00:21:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry, my message is missing

Edited by - S C Jones on 06/22/2011 08:55:23
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  00:26:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome, John McCann--I'm just getting back to memory lane from a day of computer work---I seem to be the eldest of this Forum, since I graduated Morton in 1958. So, the fact that Stan Mize rings a bell with you (and a couple others) gives me hope that there others of us oldies out there.

Stan is in the back row of one of the pics. Ken has posted the URL for of Morton Jr. Hi (I think it was the 8B-1). Also, Stan seems to have become a milliionaire--An automobile business in Schereville was or is his main business, I guess.

I don't know the Drangmeisters....but I have been gone from Hessville since 1961...

Glad to have you aboard--this is a gold mine for we who remember when and where and how we lived in the 50's and 60's...

Go to Top of Page

johncmccann

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  00:52:14  Show Profile  Visit johncmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

EMMITT WELCOME JUST JOIN IN..

Eastwood was just super. That was the church in which I was raised.It was/is beautiful. I took my daughter to see it for my OLPMHS reunion (which you Ken didn't make!) for John Melton and our choir. Mrs Leonore Melton was a grad of HHS playing clarinet and organ. Their daughter Marie is in Champaign IL directing a band. Carl played for the Marine Band last I knew.

I will not divulge what Ken played, but I was the Oboeist.

I know what Ken played as I sat to his left and played the same Coronet, well, we each had our own, did you sit near Bill Highland? He played the Basoon and sat in front of me.

John
Go to Top of Page

johncmccann

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  01:02:02  Show Profile  Visit johncmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Welcome, John McCann--I'm just getting back to memory lane from a day of computer work---I seem to be the eldest of this Forum, since I graduated Morton in 1958. So, the fact that Stan Mize rings a bell with you (and a couple others) gives me hope that there others of us oldies out there.

Stan is in the back row of one of the pics. Ken has posted the URL for of Morton Jr. Hi (I think it was the 8B-1). Also, Stan seems to have become a milliionaire--An automobile business in Schereville was or is his main business, I guess.

I don't know the Drangmeisters....but I have been gone from Hessville since 1961...

Glad to have you aboard--this is a gold mine for we who remember when and where and how we lived in the 50's and 60's...

I( was in that picture also, in fact Ken got it off of my Webshots album that I linked a few messages back, Jim Drangmeister is in the center of the picture in the front row and I am to his right as you look at the picture, and Richard Canady is to the left in the picture, of course you have to reverse those directions if you see it from the Jim's perspective.

John
Go to Top of Page

johncmccann

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  01:19:29  Show Profile  Visit johncmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I should have trimmed the quote but I wanted to thank the person that took the pictures of the Eastwood Church, I had a picture of it that I deleted somehow. My wife Sandra Sarlia and I were married there on February 19, 1966 and I have been wanting another picture for my family album,

quote:
Originally posted by Pro2am

Cris,

First of all let me offer a genuine Thank You for posting all those photos of what may or may not have been the location of Grandma's Delicatessan. And the last one is a hoot! :-)

To be honest, I'm still very uncertain of its exact location. I pass by the structures quite frequently - epsecially on Fridays as I conduct my financial affairs with the Regional Fedderal Credit Union down Kennedy Ave. across from Hessville Park - which brings to mind another long-gone business: the little Dairy-Queen-type ice cream place that used to be where the credit union is now. Anyone remember it and its name (I should be able to but can't at the moment)?

A couple of summers ago my brother Larry and I did an in-depth tour of the area around Kennedy Ave., OLPH school, etc. Larry has excellent recall and a near-photographic memory when it comes to our childhood experiences. Yet neither he nor I could recall which store was Granny's. Interestingly, we were both drawn to the structure you featured - the one with Moochie's Tap in it. We still aren't certain if that was the one, but it seemed the most likely candidate (that enclosed entrance thingy jutting out from the front of the building confuses things some). If that is the correct building, then, IIRC, Granny's store was the north section (on the right side in the photos). But again, I could be mistaken. Arrgghh!! :-)

Mike Rapchak Jr.

quote:

OK Ken, the time has come. Yes, indeed my shotgun was bigger, but I was even happier not having to display it.
Here is the 6842 address.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/6842.jpg

As I had said earlier, Rev. Eastwood just passed away on Feb. 13 of this year at age 95. Yeah I broke the gentleman's "photo links only, please" rule, but it's a little bitty picture.

The church still carries the Covenant Presbyterian title.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Pressign.jpg
Here are two more photos of the church as it is today.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Presfront.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Presaddon.jpg

Here is a bonus pic for you! Do I have the right place?
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Bonus.jpg

This next part is for Mike Rapchak. We had been talking about where Granny's may have been located. As I remembered, it was right next door, to the south, of what was the State Farm office (now a tattoo joint)at the time.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/StFarm.jpg

I remember a building right next door because it offered perfect cover for us as we used to go behind the St. Farm office during lunch to smoke cigarettes. But now, as you can see, there is an empty lot there.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/MTlot.jpg

But there is a place next to the lot that could have been Granny's. Maybe it will hit you in the face. I just flat out don't remember now. I wouldn't take too much time though, as it looks like Triffids are about to overwhelm the place. Take away the aluminum vestibule, and it could be the place. You tell me.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Granny.jpg
or even the next place
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/DSC01144.jpg
Maybe the next pic will help jolt the memory...........CJ
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Granny2-1.jpg

John
Go to Top of Page

johncmccann

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  01:30:40  Show Profile  Visit johncmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dr. John H. Eastwood, D.D. Hessville, IN Dr. John H. Eastwood, D.D., age 95, of Hessville, passed away on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 at Community Hospital in Munster. He is survived by his wife of 63 years Shirley (nee Baker); four children: Mark (Ilene) Eastwood of Hammond; Martha (James) Sutkowski of Griffith, Rebecca Boydston of Champaign, IL, David Eastwood of Mead, NE; eight grandchildren Kristine (Paul) McDonald, Alan Sutkowski, James M. Eastwood, Jonathan (Alisha) Eastwood, William D. (Cleta) Eastwood, James D. Eastwood, Elizabeth and Desiree Stubbee; five great-grandchildren: Elijah, Emma and Lauren Eastwood, Macy and Riley Sutkowski; one sister-in-law Elizabeth Eastwood of Texas. Preceded in death by his parents, Frank and Elizabeth Eastwood; one brother Richard Eastwood and two sisters: Winifred and Gertrude Eastwood. Funeral services will be held on Saturday, February 17, 2007 at 10:00 a.m. directly at Covenant Presbyterian Church, 6709 Arizona Ave, Hammond (Hessville) with Pastor James A. Thomson, officiating. Burial to follow at Elmwood Cemetery in Hammond. Friends are invited to meet with the family on Friday, February 16, 2007 at Bocken Funeral Home, 7042 Kennedy Avenue, Hammond (Hessville) from 2-4 and 6-8 p.m. There will be a time of viewing at the church on Saturday morning from 9:30 until the time of service at 10:00 a.m. John was born and grew up on his parent's farm in Pawnee, NE where he confessed his faith in Christ and joined the Mission Creek Presbyterian Church. As a young man he felt called to be a minister. John was active in football through his high school and college years. He graduated from Tarkio College in 1935. He then traveled to Assiut, Egypt and taught English for 3 years. When he returned to the states. John attended Princeton Seminary and received his degree in Theology in 1941. John's first ministry was in Minden, NE where he met Shirley Baker. They were married in 1943 at her parent's home near Souix City, Iowa. John enlisted in the Army Air Corps and was assigned to the 464th Bomb Group in Italy. Where as a chaplain he ministered to the service men who flew bombing missions in the WWII European Theatre. During his service he wrote 980 letters to families of airmen killed or missing in action. At the end of the war he accepted a calling to minister at the First United Presbyterian Church of Monmouth, IL where he also taught courses at Monmouth College. In 1953 the family moved to Hammond, IN to minister at Covenant Presbyterian Church. During his many years of service at Covenant John touched the lives of many people. John was a author and published three books of his sermons. During his retirement years John served as the first pastor to the Faith Presbyterian Church in La Porte. He will be missed by his family and all who knew him. In lieu of flowers the family is requesting contributions be made to the memorial fund at Covenant Presbyterian Church, 6709 Arizona Avenue, Hammond, IN 46323. For further information please call Bocken Funeral Home at 219-844-1600.

I didn't see any mention of two German kids he adopted not too long after he moved to Hessville, their names were Hans and Eberhard Gunter if I remember right.

John
Go to Top of Page

johncmccann

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  02:54:16  Show Profile  Visit johncmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by svea3

EVERYONE!

My real name is Linda Kay Johnson

Ken had already told me what your name was, you were a cute girl, I probab;y lusted after you when I worked at Gregory's. Do you remember Mr. Gregory's Mercedes 190SL? I got a ride in it down to the new location one day, it was a great car. I don't remember what I drove those days, probably a maroon and white 1953 Olds, or a Triumph motorcycle.
I just remembered that I repainted the White on Dan Mayden's 55 or 56 Olds Convertable.

John
Go to Top of Page

johncmccann

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  03:07:06  Show Profile  Visit johncmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you for the welcome, I have just finished catching up with all of the posts in this forum, so I responded to messages that were quite old. I was born in August of 1941 to give you an idea of my age, I lived in Hessville from 1947 when I was in first grade through about 1962 when the business I worked for, Schneck Engine Service, at the Lansing Airport was bought by a Beechcraft Dealer in Rockford, Illinois so I moved there until 1963 when I joined the Air Force. I was in Basic Training in San Antonio when JFK was killed in Dallas, it was a sad day.

John
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  11:59:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My dad was not a railroader, he worked at the mills; but I do have a vague memory of an experience with the Gibson Yards. I actually boarded a New York Central passenger train there. In the summer of 1956 I believe it was, I rode the train to go visit my grandmother who lived in far Southern Illinois.

Go to Top of Page

johncmccann

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  12:29:54  Show Profile  Visit johncmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

My dad was not a railroader, he worked at the mills; but I do have a vague memory of an experience with the Gibson Yards. I actually boarded a New York Central passenger train there. In the summer of 1956 I believe it was, I rode the train to go visit my grandmother who lived in far Southern Illinois.

Since my dad was working for the railroad, we were able to get passes to travel by train and boy, did we travel. I wish I still had the picture my mother took of the steam engine pulling the train we were on going to California as it rounded a curve so we could see it. I always went to the rear of the train so I could look out the window and see where we had just been, but I always ran back to the car we were supposed to be in so I didn't get switched off and lost.

John
Go to Top of Page

lynndesert

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  12:56:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SC Jones,
I grew up near 173rd/Grand. Never knew there was any skating out that way. We always went to Hessville Park. Do you remember “Carney’s”, little store at 173rd/Grand? We stopped there almost every morning on our way to the new Morton. Had my first car accident there. My brother was actually in the store when it got robbed for the first time. Even though I grew up in that area, never been east of Grand. That was forbidden.

Anyone from end of Hessville?

Linda, after reading some of the previous posts, I noticed the photo of two women at a soda shop. You verified the woman on the right as Violette Lipke. How do you know her?

Mike, don’t think Ed is aware of this site.

Lynn
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  13:04:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember vaguely when my dad took me up into the cab of a steam engine. The only thing I remember about it was somebody pulling a lever opening two iron doors to the firebox. All the fire scared the snot out of me. I always remembered this as a portal to hell itself.
We would make occasional trips to northern Wisconsin, by diesel, to visit with his family.
I hadn't ridden a train (except for South Shore,but that don't count)since then. I wanted to ride a train bad enough that my wife and I booked a trip to New Orleans, on "The City of New Orleans", about a year or so before the hurricane. It probably would have been cheaper to move Orleans closer to here.
The trip took about 20 hours. I learned one thing: any longer than that and you had better get a berth 'cause it is impossible to sleep in the seats. Talk about a testy bunch of people in the morning!
After coffee and breakfast in the morning, things looked better.
All in all, Im glad we did that. It is a good way to see the country when traveling and somebody else drives. We did manage to kill seven cows in one shot on the way, but that is another story...........Cj
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  13:22:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's as close to Carney's as you'll get today...........CJ

Edited by - seejay2 on 04/29/2007 13:24:47
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  15:06:11  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On the subject of trains, one of the highlights of my entire life was my trip from Chicago to San Francisco and back on the California Zephyr in 1960, when I was just 11 years old. My sister was a "Zephyrette," which means she was sort of a hostess, I guess, and she took me with her on one of her trips.

Man, after all these years, I STILL think about what a wondrful trip that was! It was my first time to see the Rocky Mountains and the Sierras, and it was love at first sight. Those dome cars were the perfect place to observe the scenery, which, of course, was their purpose. I will never forget the beauty of the Feather River Canyon in California. The train's route took it right down the length of the canyon, and they purposely worked out the schedule for both the west bound and the east bound Zephyrs to reach it in the daytime, so that the riders could see the beauty.

People, THAT is the ONLY way to travel! I enjoyed the entire experience. What a wonderful thing it was that my sister did for me.

Tom

P.S.

Here's a link to some good info on the Zephyr.

http://calzephyr.railfan.net/

A 1967 Graduate of Hammond High who cherishes his memories of growing up in the Hammond of the 1950's and 1960's. Bring back those days!

Go to Top of Page

lynndesert

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  16:06:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks CJ, for posting the photo of Carney's. Everything in Hessville brings back such great memories of childhood. I had forgotten about Carl and Becky. They were pretty nice. I lived off Orchard Drive between Kennedy Avenue and Grand, closer to Grand Ave, so we walked to that store all the time and lived at Hessville park as much as we could. There was a gas station in between owned by parents of the Murphy's, Shawn & Bob, I think.
Thanks again,
Lynn
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  17:08:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember Shawn was into repossessing cars for a while and I don't know if you saw it earlier, but Carl was a Hammond cop.....Cj
Go to Top of Page

lynndesert

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  17:44:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had no idea Carl was a Hammond cop. Good for him. Was wondering what ever happened to Shawn. Had a few dates with him. What a job, repossessing cars
Lynn
Go to Top of Page

lynray38

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  19:09:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unless I'm mistaken, I think graduating Class of 1956 from O.P. Morton might trump you. I met my husband in the "old" Porter school on Wicker Ave., a wooden frame bldg. The brick bldg. now part of Purdue Campus was built around 1950. My family originated on Marshall Ave. across from the original Morton and both my parents attended the school before transferring to Hammond High. It's my understanding our Class of '56 was the first to attend for 6 yrs., 6th - 12th. We recently had our 50th Reunion, and well attended.

And by the way, both my husband an I were born at St.Margaret's Hospital, Hammond. There are many success stories from Hammond, not all stayed and worked in the Mills or Refineries until they folded.

Go to Top of Page

lynndesert

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  20:37:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally got a chance to check this out. http://www.dhke.com/ihbarchive
That was so awesome! Anyone who lived in Hessville should check this out.
Lynn
Go to Top of Page

johncmccann

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  01:40:40  Show Profile  Visit johncmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have the recipe for Candies Roast Beef sandwiches?

John
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  07:27:38  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John:

It's "Candes," and I would sure like to find out how they made those Italian Beefs myself. My cousin who lived with us and was several years older than I would drive over there and pick some up for our whole family. I usually rode over there with him. This was after they had relocated to 165th St. I never went to their place on Kennedy that I can remember.

I lived on Woodward Avenue, which was two blocks east of Calumet Ave off of 165th St. To get to Candes, we just had to go down to the end of my block and turn left on 165th St, then drive east past Columbia, Indianapolis, and Kennedy. It was a quick trip to Candes from my house.

Tom

P.S. To this very day, I have not had an Italian beef sandwich that would even be in the same league with those from Candes.

quote:
Originally posted by johncmccann

John

Edited by - Tom J on 04/30/2007 07:29:32
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  09:04:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gentlemen, if we had the pizza and Italian beef recipes today, I guarantee we would be too busy counting money from the business to be talking about it on this forum.....Cj
Go to Top of Page

johncmccann

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  11:04:16  Show Profile  Visit johncmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Gentlemen, if we had the pizza and Italian beef recipes today, I guarantee we would be too busy counting money from the business to be talking about it on this forum.....Cj

I thought that someone reading this forum might have worked there and has been making the sandwiches for his or her family all this time and might be willing to share the recipe with the mouth watering masses. My wife is from Hessville too and makes a sausage sandwich that tastes similar, she doesn't use a recipe, but maybe I could have her write it down so I could post it, she doesn't compute.

John
Go to Top of Page

johncmccann

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  11:09:53  Show Profile  Visit johncmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tom J

John:

It's "Candes," and I would sure like to find out how they made those Italian Beefs myself. My cousin who lived with us and was several years older than I would drive over there and pick some up for our whole family. I usually rode over there with him. This was after they had relocated to 165th St. I never went to their place on Kennedy that I can remember.

I lived on Woodward Avenue, which was two blocks east of Calumet Ave off of 165th St. To get to Candes, we just had to go down to the end of my block and turn left on 165th St, then drive east past Columbia, Indianapolis, and Kennedy. It was a quick trip to Candes from my house.

Tom

P.S. To this very day, I have not had an Italian beef sandwich that would even be in the same league with those from Candes.

quote:
Originally posted by johncmccann

John

I also know only the 165th location, I used to run with a friend, Joel Smolen, who lived on 165th. near California, we would stop in at Cande's after our run and eat those delicious sandwiches.

John
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  11:59:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From johncmccann
I thought that someone reading this forum might have worked there and has been making the sandwiches for his or her family all this time and might be willing to share the recipe with the mouth watering masses. My wife is from Hessville too and makes a sausage sandwich that tastes similar, she doesn't use a recipe, but maybe I could have her write it down so I could post it, she doesn't compute.

John
I would be willing to take a look at that one.
There was a friend of mine who worked there in high school. I think he did kitchen work, so he wasn't privy to the secret vault. That's probably why he was allowed to live upon quitting there. The only two guys who were(beside Cande himself) were Dominic, the resident crust wrangler and some character we only knew as "Billy Meat".......Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 04/30/2007 12:01:24
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  11:59:38  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Where's Joel Smolen, anyway?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page