New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

tsofred

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  02:57:53  Show Profile  Send tsofred a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Kwikee Snax,Manhattan Lunch,The Kettle,Chat & Chew,Pow Wow,Serenade,Kelly's,Prince Castle,Cam Lan,41 Outdoor,Moonlight Drive In ,(Cline & Michigan aves),Pauls Drive In,Arts Drive In(Caumet Ave) Arts (five points)Nick & Georges on State & State Line,(cancer clinic) Nick & georges moved to Hohman Ave across from Harrison Park...still have the dreatest steaks anywhere...Maid Rite,Red Rooster,Jim;s Drive In,The Mirth Drive In,Woodmar Shopping Center,(all that is left is Carsons),

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  07:34:25  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What about Blue Top? Are they gone now?

Almost all of the places you mentioned have special meaning to me, especially Maid Rite.

What about the Paramount and the Parthenon? What about Downtown in general?

Tom

A 1967 Graduate of Hammond High who cherishes his memories of growing up in the Hammond of the 1950's and 1960's. Bring back those days!

Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  09:06:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The big restaurants in Robertsdale: Vogels, Al Knapps, Condes, and Phil Schmidts.
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  14:06:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cande's Pizza on 165th Street in Hessville -- the best pizza, any time... any where
Ken
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  14:36:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hear! Hear!!

The only pizza around! Never any before it; certainly never any since; and my money says there will never again be another!!!
Garbage like Domino's and Pizza Hut will pay for their sins in another life-------------maybe.
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  14:41:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, one more little thing:
My career working in Paul's Drive In spanned a 13 hour time period. 13 hours of learning to never include Paul's in any favorite's list for anything!!............Cj
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  17:10:18  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvcogs

Cande's Pizza on 165th Street in Hessville -- the best pizza, any time... any where
Ken

Don't know about their pizza, but their Italian Beef sandwiches were out of this world! I don't think I ever had their pizza. I believe we would get our pizzas from House of Pizza, but we sure knew where to go for Italian Beef!

Anybody able to answer my question about Blue Top? Is it still open?

CJ, tell us about Paul's. What was so bad?

Tom

A 1967 Graduate of Hammond High who cherishes his memories of growing up in the Hammond of the 1950's and 1960's. Bring back those days!

Go to Top of Page

Joel357

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  19:34:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom,

As of last Saturday, when I drove up Indianapolis Blvd, Blue Top looked open to me.

Joel
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  20:18:04  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joel357

Tom,

As of last Saturday, when I drove up Indianapolis Blvd, Blue Top looked open to me.

Joel

Super!

Go to Top of Page

tsofred

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  00:45:33  Show Profile  Send tsofred a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Blue Top is still open but is for sell.
Go to Top of Page

Paddy

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  22:30:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by seejay2

Hear! Hear!!

The only pizza around! Never any before it; certainly never any since; and my money says there will never again be another!!!
Garbage like Domino's and Pizza Hut will pay for their sins in another life-------------maybe.

John's Pizza in Cal City remains my favorite, probably because I was exposed to it at an early age.

Around the time that I was 9 or 10, my older sisters would invite their friends over to play poker. Their friends brought John's Pizza with them, and I was able to score some of it.

So you see, my love affair with John's Pizza goes way back. My pizza preference is still thin crust with sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms and green pepper, which surely came from my first bites of John's pizza.
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2009 :  06:24:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tom,

Joel

When I spoke to Kent Johnsen, sometime last year, he gave the place an outside of five years unless he finds a buyer. Finding the buyer is the trick. He is also appealing to the Historical Society to keep the place from being torn down, but it doesn't look so good.

People, today, just aren't into that 'drive-in' scene anymore. In fact, I don't really know just what trips their trigger these days. The days of showing off the car you put all of your love and money into have disappeared. There isn't much glamour in showing off daddy's new Prius.
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2009 :  07:03:14  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by seejay2

quote:

Tom,

Joel

When I spoke to Kent Johnsen, sometime last year, he gave the place an outside of five years unless he finds a buyer. Finding the buyer is the trick. He is also appealing to the Historical Society to keep the place from being torn down, but it doesn't look so good.

People, today, just aren't into that 'drive-in' scene anymore. In fact, I don't really know just what trips their trigger these days. The days of showing off the car you put all of your love and money into have disappeared. There isn't much glamour in showing off daddy's new Prius.

Yeah, CJ, you are right about those days being only memories now. It is so sad. There were hours and hours of good, clean, harmless fun for teenagers in working on, cleaning up, and showing off their cars.

Tom

Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  09:55:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about Fogarty and Schoops and Braho's on Calumet. And on the Nort Side, we had Cal-Hoff and the Cottage!!!! Take Care
Tom W Hammond Tech 55-58
Go to Top of Page

tsofred

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  03:06:55  Show Profile  Send tsofred a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
and on Hoffman St we had Lee's Grill and Clara's Lunch,I will bet hardly anyone remembers Clara's Lunch...
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  04:31:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Fred: I was born on Hoffman and don't remember them. LOL Tom W
Hammond Tech 55-58 Unless one of them was down where Guffy Whitler lived.
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  14:40:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tsofred
What do you remember about Clara's Lunch?
Do you remember Clara herself?
Could this woman below be Clara?......Cj
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  04:54:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where was Lee's grill and Clara's Lunch? Tom W Tech 55-58
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  23:20:00  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I don't remember Lee's or Clara's. Where were they on Hoffman?

Bob
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  00:53:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob;
Fred hasn't replied sincs May. I hope he is OK. He is scooter people just like us. He is still in Hammond I think. Not sunny Fla like us. tom w
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  10:08:00  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think I found him in Highland on Kennedy Ave just a short distance from where I used to live in Highland. I'll give him a call and see what's up. Or . . . maybe the wife and I will take a ride over there.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2009 :  01:30:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob; OOOPPPS, I don't know why I assumed that you were in Fla. My mistake. Thanks for the news about Fetlas. How sad is progress sometimes? Tom W
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2009 :  07:42:47  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in FL during the Winter.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Jay

148 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  17:27:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We miss the near perfect grilled cheese sandwiches we would order late at night at the former Howard Johnson's Restaurant in the 4100 block of Calumet Avenue. Today, there is a Johnel Restaurant at that location.

Edited by - Jay on 12/07/2009 17:30:31
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  19:40:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone remember the pancake house on the NW corner of Rts 30 and 41?
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  19:41:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoops!!, brain freeze NE corner of 30 & 41.
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  19:46:44  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sauzers. Right?

Can't remember ever being in the place.

Tom

Edited by - Tom J on 12/07/2009 19:47:53
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  20:56:57  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Sauzers, a great place.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  21:01:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was there for years. When I took Drivers Ed at EC Roosevelt during the summer, we started early around 7 AM and Coach Zawacki would always have us drive to Sauzers and then he would go order breakfast!

Edited by - duane on 12/07/2009 22:35:22
Go to Top of Page

Joel357

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  22:24:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my grandma took us to Sauzers for breakfast. I remember they had different flavors of syrup. I think Sauzers was somehow related to the Teibel family.

Joel
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  07:34:19  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sauzer's wasn't a truck stop as well as a waffle house, was it?

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Joel357

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  07:40:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, it was a waffle/pancake house. Sauzers also owned Kiddie Land. I drive every day and you can't even tell where it was there. Both Sauzers and Kiddie Land. This is progress, I guess.

Joel
Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  08:25:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was in Sauzers on a Saturday afternoon when they reported that Sputnik had been launched. There was deadly silence as we watched the tv report.
quote:
Originally posted by BobK

Yes, Sauzers, a great place.

Bob

Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  20:06:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sauzers was great, good food and good fun. I worked at the Serenade, next to Kelly's in '61 & '62 and several times after closing, at 1am, on Friday night we would load up the crew and go to Sauzers or John's Pizzaria in Cal City to eat.
Go to Top of Page

dilligaf717

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  21:18:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was in Blue Top a few years ago, Kent told me that he couldn't afford to stay open much longer. He told me that it cost more to run the fryer for one day than to heat his home for a month. Plus, when someone comes in and spends a buck for a coke and sits there, you don't make alot of $$$. Damn the chain operations.

Jim

Still runnin against the wind.
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  02:32:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HERE's a couple of Hammond establishments that I'd be suprised if anyone remembers (except my brother Mike);

In north Hammond there used to be a DAIRY; it faced east on Cedar Street (one block east of Calumet) and 150th---the present location of the #1 Fire Station. It was a wooden building, painted a maroon-ish color, with a wooden walkway out front...like an old train platform. I remember going there only once with my dad and brother; there were big metal milk cannisters sitting on the platform outside the doors. I recall that we bought "Dixie Cups" that day...the round cardboard cup with vanilla ice cream, a little wooden spoon, and a color picture of a movie star printed on the underside of the lid. This was definitely mid 50's, probably prior to Sept of 1954, which was when our family moved from nearby Hoffman street out to Woodmar.

Also from that period: "The Igloo" ice cream parlor on the North side of Hoffman just east of Cedar St; for years afterwards it was a laundromat...now it's abandoned. But I remember my mother taking us there on a hot summer afternoon; the only detail I recall were the chrome bar stools.

Wow....could this have been 55 years ago? I guess so.

Larry r
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  08:01:25  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I don't remember the dairy but the Igloo was a block or so further east on Hoffman at Oak. The old Igloo became El Taco Real.

On the corner of Cedar is where my Uncle built Calumet Sheet Metal Works. He later added a second floor for his home, which had been on Pine, and an office for the business on the west side and put a Norge Village in the front.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  08:24:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HassoBenSoba

HERE's a couple of Hammond establishments that I'd be suprised if anyone remembers (except my brother Mike);

In north Hammond there used to be a DAIRY; it faced east on Cedar Street (one block east of Calumet) and 150th---the present location of the #1 Fire Station. It was a wooden building, painted a maroon-ish color, with a wooden walkway out front...like an old train platform. I remember going there only once with my dad and brother; there were big metal milk cannisters sitting on the platform outside the doors. I recall that we bought "Dixie Cups" that day...the round cardboard cup with vanilla ice cream, a little wooden spoon, and a color picture of a movie star printed on the underside of the lid. This was definitely mid 50's, probably prior to Sept of 1954, which was when our family moved from nearby Hoffman street out to Woodmar.

Also from that period: "The Igloo" ice cream parlor on the North side of Hoffman just east of Cedar St; for years afterwards it was a laundromat...now it's abandoned. But I remember my mother taking us there on a hot summer afternoon; the only detail I recall were the chrome bar stools.

Larry r

I absolutely remember that dairy! We went to get our milk there all the time. I still have the wire basket that held 8 glass quart bottles of milk. Unfortunately, none of the existing bottles have the name of the dairy on it, which I can no longer remember. I remember that we later started going to Prairie View Dairy in EC, on 150th and Olcott Ave.

The dairy you remember on Cedar Street also had a couple of other landmarks near it. There was a huge warehouse across 150th at the intersection with Calumet Ave and the Grand Cal River. I think the name started with a J (Johnson warehouse?). Also there was a trucking company between the warehouse and Youngstown Steel Door. They always had these ancient semi-trucks...I think they bought them from other companies who were modernizing their fleet. My sister worked there as a clerk part time in high school and said their trucks were always breaking down on the road.
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  09:13:44  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Peeps, I have some pages from the 1965 Hammond City Directory that good old Richard Lytle at the HPL copied for me. I have the addresses and occupants for Calumet Avenue, and I think it covers the whole length of it. I also have 165th Street, Hohman Avenue, State Street, and I think maybe I have Fayette Street and Sibley Street.

If anyone wants something looked up, just holler.

WVCOGS (Ken) has a complete old city directory, I believe, and he is always good to look stuff up for folks.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  11:28:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tom J

WVCOGS (Ken) has a complete old city directory, I believe, and he is always good to look stuff up for folks.

Tom

Sure will, just let me know. But my directory is from 1970, and many things could have changed by then. Also, if any Hessville folks are interested, I have Kennedy Avenue directory pages from 1929, 1939, 1948, 1952, 1954, 1956, and 1961. Like Tom's pages, these were supplied by Richard Lytle of the local history room at the Hammond Public Library.
Ken...

Edited by - wvcogs on 12/12/2009 12:38:33
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  03:28:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Igloo ice cream parlor started out across the street from its latter position on the south side of Hoffman next to the library.
The place was owned by the Douglas family. Mrs D. ran it most days. On the weekend her husband Jim helped. Their son "Doug" was a mailman and had no interest in ice cream. Does anyone remember the cleaners just east of Shrago's grocery on Hoffman and Pine? They went out of business after an accident and it became a taco joint for a while. Across the street on the corner was the Milk store. In the same building was a barber shop. The building's owner was the barber Mr Steckmyster or "Sticky". He had one daughter who played piano and sang at the Ball of Fire in Cal City. The trucking company on Calumet near 150th St was probably George Mickow. Looks like acording to Google, the warehouse is still there and so are some of the junk trucks. He had some space in the old Junior Toy building where he rebuilt truck generators, starters and brake shoes. Man oh Man. Talk about being exposed to asbestos! Lucky for me it was a short, part-time job! Tom W
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  03:33:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob K do you remember that between Cal Sheet Metal and Smitty's Hardware at one time was a A&P Food Mart? Tom W
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  11:47:35  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I can't picture it in my mind Tom. I do remember a classmate at Irving lived between there.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

RicKoe

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  19:23:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HassoBenSoba

Larry r

Go to Top of Page

RicKoe

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  19:27:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may be thinking of Bowman's Dairy which our Edison School class once went through on a field trip in the late Forties. I believe Bordon Dairy also had a location in Hammond in that era.
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  01:52:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RicKoe

You may be thinking of Bowman's Dairy which our Edison School class once went through on a field trip in the late Forties. I believe Bordon Dairy also had a location in Hammond in that era.

Was Bowman's Dairy at that location---159th and Cedar? If so, that would have to be it.

LR
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  03:08:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry; It was T 150TH Street and Cedar Ave, the back was toward Calumet Ave. I don,t remember a 159th in Hammond, Just in Illinois. I also remember a trucking company on a short,one block long street between Pine and Oak off of 150th. The company was Nowak Trucking or Welsh Brothers and the street was Trankle Court. Anyone else remember this? Anyone remember the smell of the Queen Anne candy factory or the sound of their noon whistle that also blew at 8:00 AM and 10,10:15,12:30,2:00,2:15 and 4:00 but we called it the noon whistle. Regards, Tom W

Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  06:31:14  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't Bordon's on Lyman near downtown next to the Monon tracks?

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  09:52:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your speaking of dairys reminded me of Dixie Dairy on Huehn Ave. between Wabash and Sheffield. Do any of you remember it? I went to school at Lincoln Elementry 1st thru 6th grade. We lived on Dearborn, State Line and Clark Sts. during that time. ('51-'57)
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  09:58:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We walked to school everyday, winter & summer rain, shine, snow and cold. It was just about a mile from Clark St. to the school between Towle and Cameron Sts. We cut through the Dixie Dairy parking lot everyday. Can't see kids today walking half that far to school today.
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  10:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

from 1898 to 1929

The Hammond Dairy

Formerly located at
Fayette Street and Oakley Avenue -
Clinton Street and the Erie Railroad

If the Hammond Dairy were still around today it would be celebrating its centennial. Founded just before the turn of this century, by two brothers Louis and Paul Klitzke. The two enterprising young businessmen started out with just one horse and one wagon. But their small milk business would not remain small for very long. The dairy started off as a one story red brick building with a second story being add to the building to house the dairy's 75 horses. In fact their modest sized Hammond milk depot would at one time be the second largest dairy in the entire state of Indiana in it's heyday, second only to a dairy in Indianapolis. The Hammond Dairy had a peak production capacity of 100,000 pounds of milk per day.

The Hammond Dairy was well known in the industry for it's state of the art equipment. The plant on Oakley Avenue was enlarged several times so that new equipment could be installed. The Hammond Dairy Company's refrigeration, pasteurization and sterilization equipment was the best of it's kind in the nation. The Hammond Dairy Company produced milk and milk products including butter, cheese, whipped cream and it's famous "Velvet Brand Ice Cream". The ice cream was made on the second floor then sent down to the freezer on the first floor, where it was put into containers. Machines to manufacture Eskimo Bars were on the first floor in the former office space of the original dairy and were wrapped in foil by hand in the old days.

In 1921 the dairy was enlarged with a new structure built on Clinton Street, just east of the Erie RR. This helped make use of a rail spur in which the raw milk shipped from Arkon IN was pumped into a receiving tank to await processing. The Company was always quick to keep pace with the city's rapid growth and to keep up with it's growing demand and customer base. Borden's Dairy purchased the company in 1929. The Borden's company made a major expansion in the late 1950's which included a new milk receiving room, testing laboratory, paper carton storage room, enlarged cooler area, enlarged bottling room, in floor conveyors and a new loading dock. Due to shifting markets the plant was phased out and later closed. One of the last remaining plant structures was razed during 1972. Ending a part of the city's industrial history.

Edited by - S C Jones on 12/18/2009 10:09:38
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page