All Forums
 General Book Discussion
 similar writers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

16 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2005 :  04:03:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hard to find anyone who can match Shep's kid tales-but a few come close: John R Powers wrote a few,back in the 60's & 70's, mostly forgotten now: 'Last Catholic in America' and 'Do black patent leather shoes really reflect up' are a couple good ones.
Lewis Grizzard was a fine Souhthern writer. His 'My daddy was a pistol and i'm a son of a gun' is his best. Wish Shel Silverstein had written about his childhood, would've been great...
One of my all time favorite memoirs is by Tim McLaurin 'Keeoper of the Moon'. Very touching and funny.
Anyone else? I'll think of more, i'm sure...

26 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2005 :  13:57:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might want to check out Haven Kimmel's A Girl Named Zippy: Growing Up Small in Mooreland, Indiana. Mooreland, IN is a small town where, by the mysterious workings of God and Fate, the population remains a steady 300 souls, the balance being maintained by the births and deaths coming very close together.

Mooreland is not exactly an exciting town. As someone who left phrased it, "It's an awfully long way to go not to be Anywhere when you arrive."
There's a county fair and a fair number of churches and--not much else.

But you could make a life there, as Kimmel and her family did, and she relates it with a great deal of warmth and humor. There was her sweet but feckless dad (one chapter is entitled "Things My Father Lost Gambling"), her very pretty older sister, her eccentric older brother, and her mother, who pretty much held everything together, was a wizard with a sewing needle, and a very religious woman who not only tolerated, but loved, a husband and daughter who were atheists (although said daughter, namely the author, eventually went to divinity school, so there must have been a change of heart at some point).
Go to Top of Page

16 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  05:45:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes, i've read and enjoyed it-believe shes since written another, which i'll have to look for...
also blackbird by jennifer lauck
galss castle by jeanette wells (think thats the right name)
liars club by mary karr

these arent neccesarily like Shep, but i do love memoirs, and these come to mind as being worthy to stand next to Zippy
Go to Top of Page

9 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  17:27:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed that Lewis Grizzard was a fine writer. Patrick McManus has written a large number of books, many of which contain kid-type tales. The tales seem to be mixed in with other humor writing, so each book summary will have to be reviewed.
Go to Top of Page

24 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2005 :  18:38:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fred Reed is fairly similar. He is much more into politics than Shep, who wasn't at all. He does say he had listened to Shep when he was young. I asked him about that. Fred is an old friend, and currently lives in Mexico.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page