Off Topic Discussions
 W.C. Fields Inquiry for Newbie Russ
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

diskojoe

161 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  10:13:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Russ, according to the IMBD, it says that you worked on a documentary on W.C. Fields. I'm wondering if you have ever seen a film of his called "Million Dollar Legs", which has him play a leader of a small nation called Klopstockia that enters a team in the 1932 LA Olympics. I remember watching it in college in the early '80s on the late, late show until I got too tired to watch it, so I never saw the ending.

Russ Firestone

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  17:18:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Diskojoe,

Almost missed your question -- Godfrey Daniels this pesky, intuitive technology! I'm new to this whole posting/blogging/twittering world (and that's putting it politely), but I guess I'm gonna have to learn how to follow these threads.

The answer is: but of course! "Million Dollar Legs" -- along with every other one-reeler, two-reeler, and feature Fields ever did -- had to be screened & researched for that A&E Biography. (By the way, I've been meaning to get my IMDB profile updated; it's woefully incomplete. Thanks for the reminder.) Anyway, "Legs" is PD -- in the Public Domain -- so any decent video/DVD store should have it, possibly as part of a Fields collection; it also still turns up on TV from time to time, so don't expect me to spoil the ending for you, or anyone else who might be reading this.

A little behind-the-scenes tidbit on making the A&E show: one of our interviewees was Harry Anderson, a huge WC fan. Harry's screen persona always reminded me a bit of Shep. Happy to report he's a heck of a nice guy in real life, too.

Well... "Good luck, and write when you get work!"

Russ
Go to Top of Page

diskojoe

161 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  08:47:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for answering my question, Russ. It was also interesting to read about Harry Anderson. I haven't heard about him for some time now. I remember about 15 yrs. ago that he wanted to start a magic shop here in the Witch City (Salem, MA), but was dissuaded by the weather or something like that.
Go to Top of Page

Russ Firestone

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  19:08:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Harry Anderson is back living in his native New Orleans, using his celebrity to help raise money for that still hurricane- (and Bush)-ravaged city.

You're spot on: Harry began his career as a comic magician, just as Fields began his career as a comic juggler. That was part of the connection between them that convinced us to interview him for the W. C. A&E Biography.

(As far as I'm concerned, he gave the best interview in the show; wonderful observations. If you ever have a chance to catch it in rerun, it's worth it.)

Russ
Go to Top of Page

Dan

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  19:31:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Million Dollar Legs (1932)" is not currently available on DVD. It was released legitimately by Universal on VHS in 1998. AFAIK it's still owned by Universal and has not slipped into PD purgatory.

A few used VHS left on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Million-Dollar-Legs-Jack-Oakie/dp/0783228325/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=video&qid=1248650511&sr=1-1
Go to Top of Page

diskojoe

161 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2009 :  14:03:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the belated answer Dan. We haven't heard from Mr. Firestone lately. I wonder what happened?
Go to Top of Page

Rob

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  09:40:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a great Fields box-set that came out a couple of years ago ("WC Fields Collection") that contains Million Dollar Legs, amongst many others.

My favourite Fields film is his early short "The Fatal Glass of Beer". Available on Youtube - it's a real gem.

I suspect that both Fields and Shepherd were fans of the "Bard of the Yukon" Robert Service!

Go to Top of Page

Dan

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2011 :  12:51:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rob

There was a great Fields box-set that came out a couple of years ago ("WC Fields Collection") that contains Million Dollar Legs, amongst many others.....

Universal has issued two DVD box sets of Fields' films.

W.C. FIELDS COMEDY COLLECTION (upc# 025192578120):
MY LITTLE CHICKADEE 1940
IT'S A GIFT 1934
INTERNATIONAL HOUSE 1933
YOU CAN'T CHEAT AN HONEST MAN 1939
BANK DICK, THE 1940

W.C. FIELDS COMEDY COLLECTION, VOL.2 (upc# 025193230621):
YOU'RE TELLING ME 1934
NEVER GIVE A SUCKER AN EVEN BREAK 1941
OLD FASHIONED WAY, THE 1934
MAN ON THE FLYING TRAPEZE 1935
POPPY 1936
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page