In God We Trust - All Others Pay Cash
 IGWT dedication
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dhines

4 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2008 :  11:40:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got out my copy of IGWT and looked at the dedication. It reads: "To my Mother, and my Kid Brother And the Rest of the Bunch . . ." A slight against the Old Man. Shep must have still been angry at the Old Man, years after leaving the family, finding a 2nd wife and moving to Florida.

diskojoe

161 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2008 :  13:26:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Old Man passed away a long time before IGWT was published. His mother was still around at that time. He mentioned visits from her & hearing from her in his shows from that era. He even mentioned that she attended a Limelight show.
Go to Top of Page

dhines

4 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2008 :  02:35:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could be wrong about this, but I think the old man was still alive in 1966. Here is my logic. Based on the family history posted in the 'Jean Shepherd, Sr., family history' thread, "Emmet and Flora had three children: Glenna (b. 1886), Paul (b. March 16, 1894), and Jean, Sr. (b. 1899 or 1902)." That gives a possible birth date of 1899.

We know that the old man left the family and moved to Florida. The social security death index lists a Jean Shepherd born July 2, 1899 (ss #261-62-7957) and dying in Florida in May, 1986.

Assuming the old man died in Florida, this record is the only one that fits the facts as I understand them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page