Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  21:59:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kids,
Some of you expressed concern over Blue Top and what may become of it. Well, while on a welfare trip to the old country to check up on mom, I decided a quick jaunt to Johnsen's and a chat with whomever may be present was in order. I had the good fortune to meet the present owner, Kent Johnsen, son of the originals, who told me his story.
This is Kent.

Blue Top is currently in operation, but sadly to say probably will not remain in business too much longer unless a new buyer pops into the scene in short order. The possibily of that happening is worth wishing for, but....
The sign isn't the real issue. Blue Top is victim to the blight that has fallen on NWI: outragous taxes and a new youth culture who has forsaken the charm of the drive in for the speed of the drive up window. We used to go there to see the other kids and what they have done with their cars. What is to see in todays crummy little look-alike plastic cars with aluminum engines. And besides, Kent doesn't pass out a handful of junk toys with every kid's meal.
He did give me a 1967 postcard of the place which will go into my special book forever. This is the real pic, not a staged photo. Remember when it was like this?

It still carries the old Temple phone number on back: TE 8-1233.
Tom J, if you are still interested in saving the business, start passing the hat around and you can have it for about $850,000 (I think he'll take 825)and you will only have to change one letter in the name on the sign!
Believe it or not, I had never set foot inside of the place until today. According to Kent, the place still maintains the same look as the 60's.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Seating.jpg

Here are two of the lovely girls that help Kent out (Sorry, just a tad blurry).
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/girls.jpg

This photo is a prize. This is Kent's family, the original Johnsens. Kent is the little guy in front to the right.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Family.jpg

Here is todays sign; not much difference from the original.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/sign-1.jpg
Kent has no children to leave the business to or any serious lookers. He may remain in operation for about another year, but after that if the Historical Society can't come through with a blessing, it will probably be demolished in about 5 years. This will be another loss of a great landmark and legend, but will make way for another junkfood clown drive-thru, like we need another one of 'those'.
I have some video that I shot of hand-made signs created by Kent that are under the port, but aren't too visible from here. I will be posting them soon.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/seejay2_photos/Today.jpg
We're all pulling for you Kent!!.........Cj

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  09:29:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wasn't too pleased with the quality of the video, so forget that....Cj
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  11:18:31  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chris:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Nice job of "feature writing." YOU DA MAN!

I love that picture from 1967. Looks like a 1960 Chevy, then a 1966 GTO (might be a 67, can't tell from picture), then 1966 Ford Fairlane GT, then another 1960 Chevy, then a VW Bug, then a 1965 Chevy, then a car that can't be seen well enough to identify, and then either a Dodge or a Plymouth on the far end.

Man, I am so glad that they are still open, and I hope something can be done to save the place. I wonder if it could be kept open on a non-profit basis as sort of a historical attraction?

Chris, you have done a fantastic job with this! Thanks again!

Tom

A 1967 Graduate of Hammond High who cherishes his memories of growing up in the Hammond of the 1950's and 1960's. Bring back those days!

Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  16:05:01  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is that some of the Johnsen family standing outside the restaurant in the 1967 post card picture? Sure looks like it could be, but Kent doesn't appear to be in that picture. He looked like he was about 6 years old in the 1965 family picture, so the kid that is in the 1967 picture must be his older brother.

Tom

A 1967 Graduate of Hammond High who cherishes his memories of growing up in the Hammond of the 1950's and 1960's. Bring back those days!

Go to Top of Page

briz57

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  16:27:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I TOO REMEMBER "BLUE TOP" DRIVE IN....
THE GIRLS WERE ALWAYS SWEET, AND ON FRIDAY OR SATURDAY NIGHT IT WAS THE PLACE TO SHOW OFF YOUR FRESHLY WAXED HOT ROD...
MANY RACES TOOK PLACE THERE, OUT ON INDIANAPOLIS BLVD...
EVEN BETTER RACES TOOK PLACE ABOUT 4mi SOUTH, ON AIRPORT ROAD...
AIRPORT ROAD WAS JUST OFF INDINAPOLIS BLVD. SOUTH OF THE STEEL BRIDGE B-4 YOU ENTERED SCHERERVILLE AND WENT INTO DYER...
THE DYER AIRPORT WAS SHUT DOWN IN THE EARLY 70s...
LATER SCHERERVILLE MOVED THE CITY LIMIT TO MAIN STREET[GOING INTO GRIFFITH]....
BUT, BLUE TOP WAS A GREAT PLACE...
BRIZ

Edited by - briz57 on 08/17/2008 17:34:43
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  16:59:32  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blue Top was one of "THE" places to go during my high school years, 1963-1967. I never had a car in high school, but my best bud had a 66 GTO that was drop dead gorgeous. It was silver gray and had chrome reverse wheels. We would cruise Art's Drive-In on Calumet Avenue in Hammond and also hit the Blue Top.

Blue Top was the most important place to show off your car.

Tom

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  17:25:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I talked to Kent on the phone last night and told him to check the board in a couple of days. I put this up faster than I had anticipated. He said he might even post to the board himself. I certainly hope so; that could be a fun thread. If I don't see something in a couple of days, I will call him and tell him that his fans await him. He did say that the woman in the B/W photo is his mother. I don't know who the people are in the color one, but my first impression was that it is his family. I don't know though.
The activity in the background was a car wash going on....Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 08/17/2008 17:28:14
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  20:01:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tom J

Blue Top was one of "THE" places to go during my high school years, 1963-1967. I never had a car in high school, but my best bud had a 66 GTO that was drop dead gorgeous. It was silver gray and had chrome reverse wheels. We would cruise Art's Drive-In on Calumet Avenue in Hammond and also hit the Blue Top.

My first ride was a '56 Plymouth with the push-button TorqueFlite transmission in it. It was nothing to show off, but rather to hide. I had to carry extra xmission fluid in the trunk with me all the time because it leaked pretty bad. I gave $35, CASH, for that heap with money I made washing roll pans and those huge mixer bowls in Solina's Bakery....Cj

Go to Top of Page

Alan Vandever

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  22:14:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! I drove by this place the other day and was very surprised to see it was still there along with Minor Dunn. What was the daughter's name. She was gorgeous! She lived one apartment over and down from me at the mansards. I used to sit on my balcony and talk with her in the evenings. She drove a vet, I remember that.
Go to Top of Page

briz57

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  22:36:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HEY
THE NAME SHERRI RINGS A BELL....
NOT SURE THOUGH
B

BRIZ 1957
Go to Top of Page

Pro2am

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  22:33:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom,

I didn't start hitting Blue Top until 1971-'72. Don't know why it took me so long since I lived close by in Hessville. Probably girlfriend-related. I.e., in the late '60s I mostly hung around Whiting/Robertsdale where my girlfriend lived. My trips there & back home took me through Hammond - including Calumet Ave. Thus my hangout became Art's Drive-In on Calumet - across the street from Molenaar's Harley-Davidson. By 1970 her and were history; that Summer I started frequenting Schereville, which relocated me south, in Blue Top territory. Had lots of nice times at these places (also much time spent at Pow Wow during this era - but that's another story)- even had a couple of cars worthy of being seen in (new 1969 Z/28 Camaro - the first car in the Region painted in that bright canary yellow (Chevy called it Daytona Yellow), and later in '72 a red 1968 Camaro SS396. The Z was my "Art's" car, the '68 my "Blue Top" car. My favorite Blue Top food was their chicken dinners. Met some nice girls there, too (customers, not car hops). Genuinely great times from a great era. I still miss it (along with my other favorite hangouts: the drive-in movie theaters). :)

Mike Rapchak Jr.

quote:

Tom

Go to Top of Page

dilligaf717

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  05:43:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I worked at Blue Top from 1968 until the summer of 1970. This article brought back many good memories. I last visited Indiana in the summer of 2006. Took my wife around to see where I grew up. We stopped in at Blue Top and I talked to Kent for about thirty minutes. I was sad to hear him talk of closing down. If I had the money, I'd buy the place. Then I'd have to put up with the winter weather again, on second thought never mind. Kent, I hope someone comes up with the money, I would hate to see this piece of N.W. Indiana history gone.

I'd love to hear from any of the people that I worked with there, especially Carol Sharpe.

From Deep in the Heart of Texas,

Jim Schuman

Still runnin against the wind.
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  09:17:29  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dilligaf717

I worked at Blue Top from 1968 until the summer of 1970. This article brought back many good memories. I last visited Indiana in the summer of 2006. Took my wife around to see where I grew up. We stopped in at Blue Top and I talked to Kent for about thirty minutes. I was sad to hear him talk of closing down. If I had the money, I'd buy the place. Then I'd have to put up with the winter weather again, on second thought never mind. Kent, I hope someone comes up with the money, I would hate to see this piece of N.W. Indiana history gone.

I'd love to hear from any of the people that I worked with there, especially Carol Sharpe.

Jim Schuman

Jim:

Welcome to this message board!

I would sure love to read some more posts about Blue Top. Think you could tell us some stories about the times when you worked there? Tell us about some of the cool cars you saw, maybe some races that resulted from challenges made while the drivers were at Blue Top, or some unusual events, like fist fights or whatever?

Tom

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  10:16:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by dilligaf717

Jim Schuman

Any relation to Kenny?
Is the Carol Sharpe you speak of a '68 grad of Morton?

Edited by - seejay2 on 09/06/2008 12:16:39
Go to Top of Page

dilligaf717

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  00:14:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm no relation to Kenny, as far as I know. I think that Carol could have been a 68 grad. She had a 70 Cuda or Challenger I remember. She was one of the nicest people I knew.

Some of the cars I remember. Fat Mikey's Nova. That was the hottest street machine going. I hung out at the Sunoco station just down the street from Blue Top when my Dad worked there part time and remember pumping gallons of 260 into the tanks of cars running the circut. Boy to have pump gas like that now. Who could afford it.

Someone said something about that not being Kent in the picture in front of the resturant, it was. Bernie, the older son was almost as old as Sharon, Ben and Wendy's daughter. Kent told me that his brother is chief of police somewhere up there and that Sharon has a resturant in Crown Point.

Jim

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  07:54:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember a Ken Schuman from back then, which is why I asked.

Of course that is Kent. I also spoke with him twice on the phone after my visit there. He told me that it was his and his mother's pix in that B/W family photo, but we didn't go into who the other people were.
Is this the Carol that you remember?

Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 09/08/2008 15:07:10
Go to Top of Page

briz57

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  14:28:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HEY..
I REMEMBER FAT MIKE...
I REMEMBER A CAMARO HE HAD FOR A WHILE TOO...
HE USED TO RUN AROUND WITH MY NEIGHBOR TIMMY{GABBY}GIBSON
AND BERNIE JOHNSEN WAS POLICE CHEIF IN ST. JOHN, BUT I THINK HE'S A DETECTIVE NOW...HE'S BEEN A ST. JOHN COP SINCE THE EARLY 70's...
B

BRIZ 1957
Go to Top of Page

dilligaf717

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  21:47:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's the girl. I ws so smitten by her. Of all of the girls that worked there, she always treated me nicest. I was sixteen and had a big crush on her. Do you know where she is now and possibly how to get in touch with her? I'd appreciate it.

I don't know any Ken Schuman's from that area. Most of my family on the Schuman side lived around Monticello and my Dad's immediate family all moved to New York in the mid 50's.

Thanks for the picture. Kicked my B.P. up a few points, LOL.

Jim

Go to Top of Page

dilligaf717

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  21:48:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah,

Bernie went into the Coast Guard for a year or so when I worked there. He got an early out for some reason if my memory serves me right.

Jim

Go to Top of Page

dilligaf717

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  01:04:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The funniest story I remember about Blue Top is a little on the ribald side. There were two sisters that were carhops there and they weren't the "sharpest knives in the drawer." One night there were some guys sitting in their car and one had an "adult toy" between his legs. The one girl came in all flustered and "just could figure out what the guy was doing," but, knew it wasn't right. Ben Johnsen used to patrol the parking lot at times and he walked up from behind and caught those guys. Boy, it hit the fan. Needless to say, they never came back again.

Another girl I remember was Gail Ispus. I'm not sure I spelled her name right. She was from Highland I believe.

Great memories.

Jim

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  10:42:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's time Kent Johnsen himself entered into this forum. Whaddya think, guys??..............Cj
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  11:34:43  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by seejay2

I think it's time Kent Johnsen himself entered into this forum. Whaddya think, guys??..............Cj

DEFINITELY! Would love to hear directly from him.

Tom

Go to Top of Page

dilligaf717

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  20:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm all for that. I doubt he has the time for that if he's still treading water trying to keep open.

I'd love to hear from him again. All of the kids for that matter. When I was there in 06, Wendy was still alive. She know's alot of the history.

Jim

Go to Top of Page

lynndesert

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  01:01:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gee it's been a while since I posted anything but sure have been reading everything. What you did, Chris, was absolutely great. The photos were outstanding and sure do bring many memories. We always started at Pow Wow and McDonald's and hit Blue Top & Minor Dune last. Blue Top was so much fun, and the cars that went through there were amazing. Blue Top is definitely part of Hessville/Hammond history. Sure hope Kent can sell it.

By the way, I also enjoyed photos of the inside as I have never been inside either. Thanks again, Chris.

Lynn (Allen)
Morton HS-Class of 1969
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  08:57:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I talked to Kent yesterday evening and he told me his mother had a heart attack. They, thankfully, caught it in time and after some surgery, is recuperating. Kent says he is in favor of jumping into the forum, but as we can all see, he does have some other priorties to address at this time.
Wishing the best for Kent's mother..........Cj
Go to Top of Page

dilligaf717

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  13:29:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second that. Wendy, you are in my prayers.

Jim

Go to Top of Page

dilligaf717

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  01:34:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's going on with Blue Top these days? Haven't heard anything on this thread for some time. Just checking.

Jim

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  07:03:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I talked to him several times on the phone in early October and strongly urged him to jump in on the board. I thought it would be fun and I thought he might do it, but nothing became of it....Cj
Go to Top of Page

Alan Vandever

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  17:34:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone remember Miner-Dunn? I used to hang out there a lot. There was a tall, slim, blond who worked there in the late sixties, early seventies. I can't think of her name. Does anyone know who I mean and what happened to her.
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2009 :  18:02:53  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So, does anyone know how Kent's mom is doing?

Is the restaurant still open? Does Kent still own it?

Tom

Go to Top of Page

dilligaf717

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  21:19:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any new news on Blue Top??? how did Mrs. Johnsen make out from her heart attack?? Enquiring minds want to know.

Jim

Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  21:49:39  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dilligaf717

Any new news on Blue Top??? how did Mrs. Johnsen make out from her heart attack?? Enquiring minds want to know.

Jim

Jim:

I don't remember which thread it was in, but someone posted not too long ago that Blue Top is still open for business. I think it might have been Seajay2 who posted that info.

Tom

EDIT:

I found out that it was Duane who posted that Blue Top was open when he passed by on May 17 and again on May 24. The thread is is entitled "A Trip to the Region," if you want to take a look.

Edited by - Tom J on 06/12/2009 22:00:47
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2009 :  07:02:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's still there, but I haven't talked to Kent in quite a while so I have no idea how his mother is, other than to say I have not seen anything newswise.......Cj
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  23:11:03  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We lived in Highland for 19 years and never went to Blue Top but our kids did.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

kjonsen

2 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  00:28:59  Show Profile  Visit kjonsen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello everybody, I have read the posts and was amazed at the responses, stories and kind words. We at the BLUE TOP are still hanging in there. We now have a website. here is the address. It may answer some of the questions posters may have about the History of the Blue Top. I will check in from time to time. The weather is getting warmer now and I "hope" we will get busy so I can pay the bills. Every year is a struggle because of the regional economy. Here is the website address. http://bluetopdrivein.com/

Also you can view some home made videos at YOUTUBE.com just search under. Highland Indiana I hope your internet connetion is DSL or faster because the pictures and videos may take some time to download.

Again Thanks...
Go to Top of Page

kjonsen

2 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  00:33:57  Show Profile  Visit kjonsen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh One last thing Wendy is doing fine. She Just LOVES her BINGO.
Thanks for the prayers. She will be helping out when it gets busy on weekend nights.
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  05:29:45  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kent:

Welcome to Sheptalk! It is so good to have you with us!

We all want to see Blue Top stay open. We're all pulling for you.

I'm definitely going to check out that website.

Tom

Edited by - Tom J on 04/01/2010 06:27:52
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  06:44:21  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kent:

I believe in what you are doing. I know it is a struggle to keep the place open, and I appreciate that fact that you are trying to preserve a piece of Americana and a piece of the heritage of those of us who grew up in "The Region."

From a pure business perspective, I'm sure it would have made sense for you to close the place down a long time ago. Obviously you are driven by something other than just the profit motive, not that there is anything wrong with trying to make a profit, of course.

I have donated $20.00, which I know is not much, but maybe others will chip in a little. We say that we love the Blue Top and that we want to see it stay open, so here is our chance to help make that dream come true.

For those who don't know what I am talking about, there is a "donation" link on the Blue Top website.

Let's help Kent keep the Blue Top open for business!

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  08:19:29  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kent:

That's a really nice website! I hope you will keep adding to it as time goes by.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  03:52:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grab a burger AND defend your freedom!

From http://www.teapartypatriots.org/Today.aspx?date=4/15/2010 :

Indiana
Highland
Tea Party of Lake County
Tax Day Rally
Date: 4/15/2010
Time: 5:30pm/6:30pm

Where
Highland Indiana
Blue Top Drive-In
8801 Indianapolis Blvd.

FREEDOM!

Bill

Warren G. Harding Class of '63
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  21:14:01  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This thread is about Blue Top; it is not for political discussions.

I would appreciate it if those who have posted political comments would delete their posts or give me permission to do so, if they are unable to do it themselves. (I can't remember if folks who are not moderators have the ability to delete their posts.)

Let's keep Sheptalk free of politics, OK? Nothing good can come from arguing politics here. We have had peace here up until now, and wouldn't it be nice to keep it that way?

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Alan Vandever

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  21:27:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was my point, Tom. I don't see a way to delete my post, you're more than welcome to do so.
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  21:33:01  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Vandever

That was my point, Tom. I don't see a way to delete my post, you're more than welcome to do so.

Thank you, Alan. That was very gracious of you. I hope I will get the same response from the other folks.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  21:38:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom,
Members are able to delete their posts. Just click on the trash can icon at the top of the entry.
Ken
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  22:03:01  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvcogs

Tom,
Members are able to delete their posts. Just click on the trash can icon at the top of the entry.
Ken

Thanks, Ken. On some forums the poster cannot delete his post after someone else has replied, if I am not mistaken, and I didn't know if we were set up that way or not. I know that the original poster in a new thread cannot delete or edit his post.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  00:09:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, I also do not want to see political arguments on this site.

My post of 4/13 was not an argument; it pointed out that the Blue Top was hosting a Tea Party.

My post of 4/14 was not an argument; it pointed out that freedom of speech is currently under attack in our country. Including freedom to speak on the internet. That's a fact, and it affects all of us. There is no way to insulate yourself from that.

Bill

Warren G. Harding Class of '63
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  06:39:17  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sometimes the noble thing to do, the classy thing to do, for the sake of the common good is to forgo the exercising of our right to do something or to say something.

The political views of the Sheptalk membership probably run the gamut from ultra right to ultra liberal, and if we all exercise our rights to express our political views here, we will have another NWI-Times message board.

You want to see free speech without restraint in action? Check out the Times message board.

I come here to reminisce about the times in my life when I could care less about politics. I come here to step back in time and escape from the realities of this current world, not to be reminded of them. I think most of us do the same.

Tomster

Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  08:35:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said,Tom!!!
Go to Top of Page

nitti

66 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  09:12:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Plummer

Well said,Tom!!!

I agree completely - we all have a lot of controversial issues in our lives. The members of this site have always shown courtesy toward each other. It's one of the more appealing aspects of the site. There are lots of other places that can be used as an outlet for these issues.

Unfortunately the "Tea Party issue" is one of many very controversial issues circulating today. Mentioning the rally was the same as inviting comments.(which I think is the point of everything we mention on this site)

It is not the equivalent of announcing an Antique car rally or an Old Time movie fest - which would more be appropriate for Shep talk and would invite welcome commentary.
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  16:03:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sometimes the noble thing to do, the classy thing to do, for the sake of the common good is to forgo the exercising of our right to do something or to say something.

The political views of the Sheptalk membership probably run the gamut from ultra right to ultra liberal, and if we all exercise our rights to express our political views here, we will have another NWI-Times message board.

You want to see free speech without restraint in action? Check out the Times message board.

I come here to reminisce about the times in my life when I could care less about politics. I come here to step back in time and escape from the realities of this current world, not to be reminded of them. I think most of us do the same.

Tomster

Tom--

I have deleted my politically-tinged message, as you requested; I figured it was only a matter of time 'til the objections started coming in. I do this out of respect for you and everyone involved (though I know my late brother Mike was always itching to make political comments here), since I also want to preserve the civility that provides us all with an emotional refuge at Sheptalk.

But I'd still like to leave a final thought: the irony in all of this is the fact that the erosion of the old-time, traditional American values of home, family, community, religion, and patriotism that we all lament here at Sheptalk is largely due to political agendas; for those of us who are politically active, it is all the more frustrating to realize just HOW and WHY we are losing these great traditions...and that's why we get up every day, determined to work harder to fight to preserve them.

End of soap-box.

LR

Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  16:18:55  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Larry.

Political discussions have their place and serve their purpose, but I just don't think this is the place for them.

We focus on what we have in common here at Sheptalk, i.e., our Calumet Region heritage, but to discuss political views would expose our differences and would have a polarizing effect.

I do thank you for removing your post, my friend.

Tom
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page