Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

TestPattern

48 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2012 :  13:00:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by S C Jones
Roger, you are probably correct. I don't know the dates of the new Morton, but
it was in the 60's and I think that man taught there rather than at the original building. Oh well, just wanted to check it out.

Ken,
Thank you.

The new MHS on 169th & Grand opened for the school year 1967-1968.
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2012 :  14:08:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The photo above of a school hallway from Bollinger's site is NOT the new Morton either.

Some of the photos on the right-hand site of his blog are taken from the familiar Purdue Archive internet files,
including, I believe, the Hessville pool swim class shot (where you can view a larger version of the pic).
----------------------------------------------------------
Who else is an alum of the swimming classes?

MARK-- since you asked.....

My brother Mike and I were signed up (against our will) for these classes in the summer of '59. I hated it. On the very first day, we all lay in the water (shallow end of the pool), hung onto the side and kicked our feet; this took the better part of an hour. At the end of six weeks, we were supposedly ready to swim the length of the pool.

For some reason (possibly due to our resentment of the whole thing), Mike and I just couldn't get the hang of it. So, on the BIG FINAL DAY...with all of the proud mothers sitting and watching on the sidelines outside the fence, the entire class swam back and forth from end-to-end in the pool, to great acclaim of all present. The entire class, that is....except for Mike Rapchak, his dorky brother, and one other boy.

So while the entire rest of the class was excitedly, gleefully...JOYOUSLY..swimming back and forth, churning up the water in torrents all around us, the instructor comes over to us three losers and says "Uhh..you three guys better just stay over here on the side and practice your kicking." Pretty embarassing.

I remember seeing my mother, mortified, sitting on the bench on the south side of the pool, sandwiched in between the other mothers, who were all BEAMING with pride at their kid's accomplishment (I'm sure that Claudia and Lynn Sandors from Magoun Ave were in this class).

My attitude, though, was..."sorry, mom...that's what happens when you force us to do this crap that we had no interest in..."(though I never would have said anything like that to her..but I was thinking it).
---------------------
POSTSCRIPT--

When we moved to Hessville, we again took the same course (summer of '62) and did much better; Mike, in fact, became one of the star pupils and absolutely LOVED the high-dive.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/21/2012 15:29:36
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  12:46:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I acquired this original 8" x 10" print from a vendor on eBay; it's not one I took. The picture is of the 1961 Morton High School debating team after it had just won the Individual Suburban Debating Tournament at Navy Pier. Coach Ellis Hays is at right. Teams members are Carolyn Reichardt and (l. to r.) Stuart Lewin, Paul Stivers, and Gary Werskey. Carolyn, Stuart, and Paul graduated in 1962. Gary was in the class of 1961. This same team won the Indiana state championship and finished in third place at a national competition.

Ken

This is a Sun-Times photo from January 7, 1961

Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  17:23:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Best and Brightest of Morton H.S.; I wonder how they all made out in life.

I like group pics like this that are taken from a side angle, with the subjects focused on another camera;
they are often the best-looking and most engaging photos.

LR
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  20:29:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frequently I asked subjects to look at other objects so the photos would look similar to this one. That's like TV reporters these days asking those being interviewed to look at them instead of looking at the cameras. I'm very impressed with the quality of this print.

The 1962 class is having a 50th reunion this year. I'll try see if Linda has any information about the three who graduated that year, and maybe pass it on without connecting to a particular individual.

Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  20:49:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Click on this link to see a view of MHS that you have never seen before.

The school at 7040 Marshall Avenue before the addition.

This link goes to the Morton page of research work on the WPA construction projects. Strangely enough, the second and third paragraphs of their page are from the web page I put online for our class of 1960 50th year class reunion.

WPA Project

Ken

Edited by - wvcogs on 03/23/2012 21:01:52
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2012 :  10:52:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Ken ! Great pics and discription of "ol' Oliver P".

Roger, class of '63
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2012 :  03:46:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HEY, GUYS.....

Here's a pic I came across of 171st Street alongside (south) of the original Morton H.S.

Nice day, nice cars, nice time (probably '55-56).

And here's the same view today, almost 60 years later--

Re: the house on the right edge of the pic--on a Saturday evening in May of '66,
Mike and I and our polka band played a post-wedding party there. The white windows in the middle
of the house are the breezeway that connected the back of the house to the garage, and that's where we
set up and played. The bar was set up in the garage, so as the folks got hammered, they'd file into the
tiny, cramped breezeway and "dance" to our music. At least one of the drunks came crashing head-first into
our music stands as we kept crankin' out "We Like Pierogi" from memory...since our sheet music had flown
across the room upon impact. (Our former Sheptalk pal NITTI was the bass player in this illustrious band;
too bad he doesn't check in these days; he'd remember the incident).

Then the newly married bride and groom (who were in their 40's, I think) started a huge screaming match
and threatened each other with divorce---mere hours after tying the knot. So the band called a break
and Mike and I went outside.

As we were standing right there along 171st, this punky smart-mouth kid that I had known at OLPH (and who
was a few years younger than me) showed up and actually started insulting Mike and me by making fun of
our last name. Mike listened for about two seconds and then flung his beer right into the kid's face, totally
shocking him. The little jerk burst into tears and ran off.

And those are my fond memories of the house across from Morton.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 04/01/2012 14:56:34
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2012 :  10:22:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HassoBenSoba

HEY, GUYS.....

Here's a pic I came across of 171st Street alongside (south) of the original Morton H.S.
LR

A pic from my years at ol' Oliver P. !!!
Thanks.
Ken
Go to Top of Page

Thawk9632

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2012 :  10:31:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone remember the resturant between Fifield and ACE Theater, we used to hang out there after school we went to Hammond Tech,and kids from Morton High School,from the late 50's
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2013 :  13:47:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a special photo for our Magoun Avenue friend and Pepsi man, Little Stevie.

This note appears on the bottles: "Limited Edition: This collector's item has been produced by your Pepsi-Cola bottler to commemorate our nation's bicentennial year."

They're not shown here, but each bottle has a different item of interest pertaining to the State of West Virginia printed on it. My neighbor found this carton at a local weekend auction.

Ken

Edited by - wvcogs on 02/16/2013 15:02:24
Go to Top of Page

Little Stevie

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2013 :  22:54:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty darn cool!
Ken! Those bring back memories . . . or shall I say "nightmares"?
The Midwest Pepsi plants sold the 16 oz. returnable bottle in 8 paks not 6 paks as was done in West Virginnie.
There were 3 8 packs in a wooden yellow case, known in the industry as "shells". The combined weight of a case was 57 lbs.
Stacked 5 cases high, you then "scooped" them onto a hand truck, and wheeled them into the store, to the beverage aisle or display area, pulled the handtruck out from underneath and proceeded to fill the shelf/display.
I spent many, many, many hours doing the above. Then, going to the "bottle shed" to collect the "empties" that were returned. Threw them on the truck to take back to the plant for refilling.
In the early 70's I worked the VanTil route in Hessville.
We would leave VanTil's around 10 PM on the Friday of a sale week, loading up the stockroom with Saturday's stock and extra product and take out all the empties.
On Monday, there would be in excess of 400 cases of empties in their basement. All from Saturday's business.
LS

Edited by - Little Stevie on 02/16/2013 22:54:43
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2013 :  10:29:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With a workout on the job like that, who needs a gym! Thanks for keeping the grocer's shelves full of America's favorite cola drink.

This six pack has seen better days. The back appears to have been attacked by mice. Evidence of the damage is on the left side of the carton in this photo. I keep a Post-It Note on it with the message, "Lift By Bottom Only."

Ken...
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  19:58:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's add another photo to the picture book. Here's one I located of the First United Presbyterian Church -- later Covenant Presbyterian -- that was taken on January 27, 1958. The name change took effect later that year because of a merger of two national Presbyterian churches.

I attended this church while in high school; and Judy and I were married here in 1963.

No, I did not take the picture, but I do have the original 8" x 10" print where I added the identifying information after scanning.

Ken...

(Personal note: S C -- Please send me an email. Thanks)

Edited by - wvcogs on 06/05/2013 20:04:03
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2013 :  01:36:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can we still send e-mails? I sent one to Bob K and don't think he got it. Thanks. Tom W
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2013 :  07:48:18  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know if that feature is working or not. Try to send me an Email and I'll let you know if I get it.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2013 :  12:30:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Tom. You should have it by now. Hows the wife now? Tom
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2013 :  15:20:05  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tom w

Thanks, Tom. You should have it by now. Hows the wife now? Tom

Well, I didn't get it so I guess our Email feature is not working. I have an Email address for Bob and I can let him know you are trying to reach him but I don't know if I have your Email or not. I can't remember if we have ever exchanged Emails in the past.

Thanks for asking about Georgeann. She suffers a lot with her arthritis but we are still getting nothing but good reports on her cancer check-ups. We thank God for those good check-ups. It has now been three years since her surgery.

Tom

Edited by - Tom J on 07/04/2013 15:21:47
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2013 :  15:33:08  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, I found your Email address, Tom W, and I have passed it along to Bob.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2013 :  18:53:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the assist Tom. We now know only too well, how it feels to go thru a crisis with a loved one. Carol was operated on last week for a re=appearance of cancer. She went thru it about ten years ago as well. When you get up into our age group, it seems as though you just muddle from day to day and spend too much time reflecting on your non acomplishments. anyhow, bless you guys and be of good health. You can pull this note off if you like. Tom
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2013 :  20:35:16  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just sent up a prayer for Carol, Tom. Let us know how things go.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2013 :  08:48:46  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry Tom, I never look at my Gmail account and since Shep Talk isn't very active I only check it maybe once a week.

By the way, I received 3 emails from Tom J and 0 from Tom W. Tom W, I think you have my other email address. Prayers and best wishes for your wife.

Bob

Edited by - BobK on 07/09/2013 08:55:58
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2013 :  18:24:27  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, whatever Email address you registered with is where your Sheptalk private messages go.

Did you get the Email I sent you with Tom W's Email address?

Tom
Go to Top of Page

BobK

431 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2013 :  07:51:28  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
yes I did, Tom.

Bob
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page