Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  10:08:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tom J

Where was the DQ? On Kennedy? Which side of the street? Is that house in the background of the DQ picture the one you lived in for a while, Chris?

Tom

Tom, DQ was located NW corner of Kennedy and 167th.
Is it still there, anyone?

Ken
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  15:27:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, The Dairy Queen is still on the corner of 167th and Kennedy according to the street view on Google.

However, what I remember about Del's Dairy Queen is that it was closed from about September until.... Del may have been a snowbird. Anyway, the pic from the
yearbook may mean it was open during the winter after my time (I graduated Morton in 1958.)

Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  06:49:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too recall the Dairy Queen usually being closed, winters.

The photo caption says 'M.Olsen, Mr. "R" and Jerry Farster'.

May Virden, English Dept.:
"Is a member of the Civic Little Theater."

Here's an embarrassing one:

James E. McNabney, English, Speech Depts.:
"Was a cheerleader at Hammond High."

Bill

Warren G. Harding Class of '63
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  08:01:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm lovin' this discussion, even though I am not a Hessville-ite. You guys are talking about the same times when I was in high school at Hammond High, so I can relate to a lot of the stuff you are saying.

Where was the DQ? On Kennedy? Which side of the street?
Hey Tom. The DQ was on the NW corner of Kennedy & 167th. Right across the street (on Kennedy)was Dog & Suds, later to become Loomis Cycle Sales. He sold those Kawasaki rice rockets.

Is that house in the background of the DQ picture the one you lived in for a while, Chris?
Yes it is. It was bought by Bryant Bros Construction. The place was big enough to cut up into 5 apartment units. I had the biggest one. Dig this: rent there was $85 @ month. This included water and heat. For an extra $5 you got a garage in back. Incidentally, Ken (WVGOGS)lived right across the alley from this place on Marshall street at one point...Cj
Tom

Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  09:09:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, for a while my folks rented a place on the corner of 167th and Marshall next door to Del's house.
Ken

Edited by - wvcogs on 12/18/2010 09:10:05
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  09:38:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I lived just two blocks from the DQ for 17 years. Bought a house in the 6600 block of Alexander in '76 and sold it in '93 when I retired.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  10:09:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is part of that photo cut-off on the right side? Last time I was home I got a shake there but it wasn't as thick as in the old days. I did get some fish at Jack's Carry Out which was exactly as I knew it would be!
Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  10:12:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, does anyone remember what Mrs. Del's name was. I think she had short red hair. She was a nice lady. The milk shakes came in two sizes 30 cents and 40 cents and you could get them extra thick.
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  12:21:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know Del's wife's name, but I do remember the 25 cent cones that wer humongous and the fresh strawberry sundaes that were available for only a short time--my favorite sundae was the HOT FUDGE which was really Fudgey tasting not the chocolate goo they call hot fudge today.

Cj and Wvcogs, we (I lived between Ferris Standard Service Station and the POWWOW Drive-in on 169th in a rental house) lived where we could find affordable rent and were business district dwellers before it was PR'd as "cool"--now my fair city's government movers and shakers in TN have made a play for the suburbs to come back to town by helping investors (tax write-offs) build highrise condo buildings that no one but investor groups can afford to rent, let alone buy.

Sorry, got off track from pleasant memories to blunt reality...

Sure would like to have a 25 cent vanilla cone from Del's Dairy Queen even with the temperature here 32 and holding.

Edited by - S C Jones on 12/18/2010 12:41:53
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  17:32:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
40 sunny degrees in Murray, KY!! Where in TN are you, SC?...Cj
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  17:59:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What was Del's last name? That's one of the many things I'm have trouble remembering. The last time I heard it was from you, Cj, just a few years ago.
Thanks, Ken.
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  18:44:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by seejay2

CJ, I'm just a stone throw away from you now--Nashville. Well, maybe if you were Goliath.
It did get warmer than 32 today--the sun was shining all day and we had a fantastic salmon pink and aqua blue sunset just about an hour ago now (it is 5:45 or so now.)

Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2010 :  01:57:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Plummer

Is part of that photo cut-off on the right side? Last time I was home I got a shake there but it wasn't as thick as in the old days. I did get some fish at Jack's Carry Out which was exactly as I knew it would be!

No, I posted the complete photo; it is not cut off.

From the yearbooks, I do have a photo of Howell Hardware, across the street. And I have the logo (not a photo, but the logo) of Dogs and Suds, showing the character who looks almost like Disney's Goofy. Also Cande's Pizza at their second location, on 165th; Lindy's Hardware; Lelito's Hardware. Ask, and you shall receive.

Bill

Warren G. Harding Class of '63
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2010 :  07:51:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by S C Jones

quote:

CJ, I'm just a stone throw away from you now--Nashville. Well, maybe if you were Goliath.
It did get warmer than 32 today--the sun was shining all day and we had a fantastic salmon pink and aqua blue sunset just about an hour ago now (it is 5:45 or so now.)
The thermometer hit 40 at one point. I talked to my brother yesterday who still lives in Lowell. He asked how the weather is. When I told him 40, he responded "40!?!? You are getting that?? We got killed with snow and it is in the teens."
"That's why I moved here, bro!"

Which brings up another point:

Virtually everyone I talk to down here, who is not native to the area, came from either the Chicago area or St. Louis. Likewise, those who have moved out have all gone to Nashville...Cj

Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2010 :  11:07:34  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There were quite a few families in Hammond with Kentucky roots. People moved from KY to The Region because of the plentiful jobs back in the good old days.

Are some of those Chicago area people that you mentioned just moving to KY because of family ties to the area?

Tom

Edited by - Tom J on 12/21/2010 19:08:55
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2010 :  17:40:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's about a 50/50 mix. I just talked to a couple (from St. Louis) in Hazel that are looking to move into the Murray area because they heard it was a nice place to be. We talked about what was what around here and I gave them my ph number in case I could be of assistance---no charge!...Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 12/19/2010 17:41:50
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2010 :  18:42:23  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I do believe Murray is listed in the top ten or twenty places in the U.S. to retire.

Tomster
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2010 :  19:41:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Kentucky (through my Dad) roots are London, Ky--where I lived from ages 712, having been born in Hammond and my mother was 1st generation Russian American. . My move to Tn came as a college student. After graduation, a job opened here and the sun was shining (literally) much more brightly here than in Da Region at the time, so here I stayed--with a side trip of living in El Paso, Texas and then another side trip to living about 18 mi. north of Santa Fe, New Mexico.

I would guess that KY and TN will find populations exploding in the near future. That is good and bad. People bring baggage as well as potential for progress.
Sorry, I am a realist and do not see all good or all bad in much of anything, it is all a mixed bag in the big scheme of things

quote:

There were quite a families in Hammond with Kentucky roots. People moved from KY to The Region because of the plentiful jobs back in the good old days.

Are some of those Chicago area people that you mentioned just moving to KY because of family ties to the area?

Tom

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2010 :  08:14:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely!! Somebody coined the phrase "ya gotta take the good with the bad" for a reason. That's level headed thinking.
Everywhere you go is going to have some kind of crime, but I must say that the worse I read about here is some kind of theft related crimes. There have been a couple of murders. Either somebody beat the crap out of somebody and carried it too far or, like one, it was a murder/suicide---someone got caught cheating. I don't see any gangs, crack houses (although some places look like one) or people killing someone for a starter jacket.
I have caught a sniff of pot wafting by from somewhere a time or two.
On the other side, I have never seen as many car accidents as I do here. Every day!!! It's like a demolition derby with new cars. But like one woman summed it up for me: "We just don't know how to drive around here".

Also:
As far as being a 'native' is concerned, it seems like there is some tough criteria involved here. Just last week, I was going thru the Murray paper and I noticed an obituary for a woman in her upper 80's who had passed. In the obit it commented that she was not native to Murray because she came here when she was 3 months old, but spent the rest of her life here. Talk about zero tolerance!...Cj
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  12:12:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ,
As a child, living in the back country of Laurel County, KY, I was with family all of whom were native Kentuckians, so I was accepted as one, especially since my Dad was born in KY. also, and the presumption always was that he would return to KY when he had accumulated enough to return where he could have a hard-scrabble farm to eke out a living as the others were doing.

When I was a college student in Jefferson City, TN, arriving there from Hammond, IN, I had dorm mates from Georgia. It was then I learned that the Civil War left great scars. The GA. girls called me a yankee--and, while we had a good rapport with lots of kidding and no rancor, I came to realize how deeply engrained the "divide of north and south" had been. The GA. "brigade" in my dorm room were perhaps finding their first encounter with a yankee they could relate to and like.

When WWII was won and sons and fathers returned home to the south, many had to leave home again, though some took their families with them to places like Hammond, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Gary, Detroit, to get work. But home was where the heart was and is---Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi

The lack of industry in the south was a blessing in that the home places remained the same when their sons and daughters returned for vacation and each return set up that longing for the day when they could return for good, build a nice house and sit on the porch in the evening surveying what plot of land one had in the "serene" countryside.

So, when we Yanks come south, we are foreigners to what the natives remember.
It may be kinda like we Sheptalkers who have certain memories of DA REGION. Newbies, even younger region-borns do not have the memories we have.

So, CJ settle in, enjoy the open air, the dust of an occasional country road, the local barber shop, (Does Murray have a square with some benches to sit on? Get a knife and a stick and whittle. Let the natives come to you; let them regale you with their memories of what it was like. Seems as though there is always something to learn from those who have experienced life in a different way/time/circumstance.

When it gets to be fishing time up there, invite all of us displaced Sheptalkers to come for a weekend of camping out and fishing. You, Tom J, Roger D, ought to be able to find a great camping spot --please find one near enough to a cabin I can stay in : )
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  12:17:30  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't THAT be fun? Great idea, SC! A little Region Rat Reunion!
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  12:59:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!
Waddya mean cabin? You gotta build a shelter and fire like the rest of us or risk getting voted off the island.

But if it comes to a cabin, do we have to keep the toilet seat down?...Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 12/21/2010 13:03:31
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  16:10:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wull....IF I let you use the facilities, yes.

And, I'll help with the building of a shelter and a fire for the rest of you. I think Wvcogs would be interested in coming over
from his haven to join us, too.

quote:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!
Waddya mean cabin? You gotta build a shelter and fire like the rest of us or risk getting voted off the island.

But if it comes to a cabin, do we have to keep the toilet seat down?...Cj

Edited by - S C Jones on 12/21/2010 16:13:49
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  16:38:20  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, man, it would be cool if Ken could come over!

Why don't we try to do this next spring or summer?????

Tomster
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  17:48:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm starting to like this idea...

Where does Roger D live anyway? I know he is in KY, but there?
Also:
I will need someone the boat who knows how to fish crappie.

SC...
"So, CJ settle in, enjoy the open air, the dust of an occasional country road, the local barber shop, (Does Murray have a square with some benches to sit on? Get a knife and a stick and whittle. Let the natives come to you; let them regale you with their memories of what it was like. Seems as though there is always something to learn from those who have experienced life in a different way/time/circumstance.
"

That's pretty much the way things have been flowing. I'm not sure about the benches in a square or whittlin' on a stick, but I did sit on the tailgate of my truck and discuss with another guy about hacking up some trees with a chain saw. Does that count?...Cj
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  17:57:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's pretty much the way things have been flowing. I'm not sure about the benches in a square or whittlin' on a stick, but I did sit on the tailgate of my truck and discuss with another guy about hacking up some trees with a chain saw. Does that count?...Cj
In men-speak, I guess it would be equivalent, but not in my book. By whittling on a stick, you might become an artist or a storyteller (an art, too) but you can't do that over the roar of a chainsaw. Though, I am glad to hear you are conversing with some of the residents of Murray.

And Tom, be sure to bring a dawg or two. Now, the dogs can sleep in my cabin, if they need to be corralled at night.

Edited by - S C Jones on 12/21/2010 18:06:06
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  19:11:57  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chris:

Roger lives at Dunmor, just 20 or 25 miles south of me. He works part time at the WalMart in Central City, and we have hooked up for breakfast a few times on the days that he has to work.

Tomster
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  19:20:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Tom my address is Greenville just like yours. But I do live closer to Dunmor.
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  19:29:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ, Blood River Bay on Ky. Lake is the crappie fishing place. Starting in March and going to the middle of May. Go on line to find guide reports on Ky. Lake. There you will find daily and weekly reports. Blood River is about two hours from me, I try to get over there two or three times in the spring. I fish with a friend from here using my boat one time and his the next.
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2010 :  07:50:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We didn't move here until June of this year and I have never done any crappie fishing, per se. We were always big into coho fishing on Lake Michigan (remember that place?).
Our house is within walking distance of Blood River, although we either drive a golf cart or car to the slip where we have our boat. We always read the crappie reports, but as hot as it was this past spring and summer, I just didn't get into it like some of the people around here. There is a guy at the marina here (Water's Edge---right across from Wildcat) who sets out brush piles and has given us tips on 'what and where', but it's just not the same as going out with someone who has the experience...Cj
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2010 :  09:48:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cj-
I am sure you will be able to hook up (pun intended)with a local who will gladly show you the ropes.
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2010 :  12:53:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You folks say when and where and I'll be headed west on I-64.
Ken...
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2010 :  13:43:33  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Super, Ken! Man, I hope this really does happen!

Tomster
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2010 :  16:09:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Roger, who are you, really? I can only think of two 'Region Rat' Rogers that I knew and both of those guys are up north. Do I know you and when do you come down this way?

Ken, Keep your bags packed and by the door just in case...Cj
Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2010 :  08:56:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken, make sure you bring your Speed Graphic and take lots of photos.
What sort of a fish is a Crappie?
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2010 :  09:35:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Jim, I will if I can find some 4 x 5 sheet film and #25 flash bulbs.
Ken

Edited by - wvcogs on 12/23/2010 09:35:37
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2010 :  09:41:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ -
I don't believe we know each other. I graduated from Morton in '63, worked at Inland until Sept. '93, retired, then moved to Ky.

Roger Dukes
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2010 :  09:56:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I guess not. I did work at Inland for a while at #2&2A Bloomer and Billet Mill, but graduated in '67. Did you know Henry Kras? He walked in '64...Cj
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2010 :  09:59:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JIM
A crappie is one of the best eating fish there is. There are two kinds, the "white" crappie is just that, white, and the "black" crappie is speckeled with black spots. Both spawn in the spring with the black spawning earlier than the white. They can be caught all year round, if you can find them. They are fished for mostly in the spring when spawning on minnows or jigs. I prefer to catch them on jigs using an ultra lite rod with 6# line. A two pound plus crappie is a trophy. A 4lb.14oz. 21 1/2in. long is the Ky. state record. A lady caught it on Mother's Day in '05
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2010 :  10:02:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't know Henry. I worked closed to where you were. I was in the 44" Hot Strip.
Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2010 :  14:29:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Jean Shepherd called them "speckled beauties" so they must have been black crappies. And according to Shep, they liked oily water because when the Sinclair Refinery closed down, the water became too clean and the crappies quit biting!

Here are a couple links to My Summer Story - the sequel to the Christmas Story.

The crappie story starts at 3 minutes 36 seconds in on this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV5Jx1Kgnyk

And on this one a further crappie story starts at about 1 minute 10 seconds in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttMiEHlyJGg&feature=related

Edited by - duane on 12/23/2010 14:30:07
Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2010 :  09:14:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The knowlege around here is amazing. I'll bet nobody in here can find any flashbulbs for Ken! I understand that they are so rare now that in period films, flashbulbs are inserted with a computer!
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2010 :  08:59:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Believe it or not, Jim, I have a full package of twelve press 25 bulbs in the closet. If I tried to use them, they probably would explode though.
Ken
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2010 :  10:04:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if Bob K, who is a snowbird, would like to join the camping/fishing gathering and we could let his return trip from the "tropics" give us a date to set for that Region Rat Reunion?

Anyone heard from him lately?

Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2010 :  10:29:00  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wonder if Bob K, who is a snowbird, would like to join the camping/fishing gathering and we could let his return trip from the "tropics" give us a date to set for that Region Rat Reunion?

Anyone heard from him lately?

He's real active on Planet Hammond (Facebook).
Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2010 :  09:50:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken,
I'll bet those are worth some money but I wouldn't sell them if I had them.
quote:
Originally posted by wvcogs

Believe it or not, Jim, I have a full package of twelve press 25 bulbs in the closet. If I tried to use them, they probably would explode though.
Ken

Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  01:32:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yep, The Dairy Queen is still on the corner of 167th and Kennedy according to the street view on Google.

However, what I remember about Del's Dairy Queen is that it was closed from about September until.... Del may have been a snowbird. Anyway, the pic from the
yearbook may mean it was open during the winter after my time (I graduated Morton in 1958.)

I'm wading my way through the black crappies here trying to find my way back to the Hessville Dairy Queen dicussion a while back. I drove by the building a few nights ago; yep, it's still there and has been operating. However, the signs outside looked like they might be coming down sometime soon. There was only a single word posted on their main sign: "CLOSED"---not a "Closed for the Winter; see you in Spring" kind of thing--just CLOSED. So it might be out of business. We'll see later this year.

Back in summer of '65, when I had just graduated OLPH 8th grade, I used to visit that DQ almost every day (that's when "Mr Misty" was brand new). A few doors south on Kennedy was a bakery-- the building with the lengthwise concrete ramp that led up to its front door that's now a plumbing business. The family that owned the bakery was part of the Verbick family (who had built the new house right across the street from OLPH); they had four lovely daughters that worked behind the counter, and I somehow managed to find myself at the DQ and then wandering back to the bakery almost every day that summer (good thing I never put on any weight back in those days, with my steady diet of pastry and Mr Misty). I was in "young love" with three out of the four Verbick girls, and I spent many hours in their bakery that summer trying (unsuccessfully) not to make an idiot out of myself.

LR

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 01/04/2011 21:14:23
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  07:51:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was Solina's, Hasso. Here, have a laugh on me:
While you were up front hitting on the Verbick girls, I was in back cleaning all those huge filthy delivery pans and scraping up dried dough from the floor. All this, and more, for 60 cents an hour. No insurance or retirement option either...Cj
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  21:27:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ--

No kidding! Small world. So you were slaving away for the Verbick clan in '65 summer? I can imagine worse fates...(I remember an older girl who was always there at the bakery and was the one actually in charge).

Mary Ann V. was my age and graduated with me, Patty was 2 years younger (I hung around with her throughout high school years), and Debby was 3 years younger than me. In May of '65, I was asked to accompany (on the piano) the "3 Singing Verbick Sisters" at the OLPH talent show in the old church annex building; they wore matching red dresses and head scarves and sang "Wonderful, Wonderful Copenhagen" from the Danny Kaye Hans Christian Anderson film in beautiful 3-part harmony. Man, did I fall that day...like a ton of bricks; I couldn't decide which of the sisters I was more infatuated with. We did two performances, afternoon and evening, and I was crushed when the day ended. Later that week I turned 14 years old. It all seems pretty cool, looking back through "rose-colored glasses", but....I would never want to go back to that time of my life. The geekiness was really a drag.

LR
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  08:27:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The older girl's name was Linda Foss. She was the sister of Ken Foss (Ken passed away in 2008 at age 59). Ken was the one who put me onto the job. Mrs. Solina told him he couldn't quit until he found a replacement. Either he had admirable respect for the old gal or she had something on him, big time.
Mary Ann Verbick is the other girl I remember up front. Also there was that little bitty older woman who worked in there also, but I can't remember her name. Maybe it was Mrs. Uriss. For her size, she could bark out orders like a German general.
My tenure there was in '66 ..Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 01/05/2011 08:30:15
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page