Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  13:12:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Purdue Calumet library archives has posted more of its special collection photographs online. Many of the photos that were available earlier have appeared in this thread as well as elsewhere on Sheptalk. Instead of putting the pictures here, I am entering the names with links to the Purdue archives' address. While you're on the Purdue site, you may want to look through some of the other photos. Just click on "Back to Page" at the bottom to go to a page of 12 thumbnails. Then, you can click on "Next Page" or "Previous Page" to navigate through the site. If you happen to get back to the photo gallery main page, the center list, those with the SCP prefix, are the ones that probably will interest you most -- except Tom J and a few others may be interested in the other photos since their subject is Purdue Calumet. The SCP photos also have pictures of Munster, East Chicago, Woodmar, Gary, Calumet City, Lansing, and some other areas. There are a few of the big snow of 1967.

By the way, many of the dates you will see at the tops of the pictures are way off. For example, one of the pictures in the archives has a 1962 Chevy in a picture dated 1951. Also, a picture of the 1959-60 Morton band says that it is the 1951 band. Oh well...

Enough of that. Here are the links to the pictures.

Ken...

Dunkenburger on Kennedy Avenue

Fifield Pharmacy

Mr. Fifield

Byer's Heating

First United Presbyterian Church Choir

Sinclair Station 169th and Kennedy

Line at Ace Theater

Marble tournament winner 1962

Hessville Adult Band Members

Kathy Cunningham and Karen Lepucke and snowman, 1960

Edited by - wvcogs on 05/03/2009 13:41:48
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  13:25:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone recognize this place? The Purdue Calumet archives says it's on Kennedy Avenue. Any clues??? Again, click on the image name to go to the picture on the archives site.
Thanks. Ken...

Supermarket on Kennedy Avenue (?)
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  19:26:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken, I don't recognize that supermarket--could it be or have been in E.C. or Griffith? or at least South of 173rd, or North of 165th?

quote:
Originally posted by wvcogs

Does anyone recognize this place? The Purdue Calumet archives says it's on Kennedy Avenue. Any clues??? Again, click on the image name to go to the picture on the archives site.
Thanks. Ken...

Supermarket on Kennedy Avenue (?)

Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  21:58:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Based upon the cars, the picture was taken in the early to middle 1950s; but it certainly wasn't on Kennedy Avenue in Hessville. I have the Kennedy Avenue pages of the City Directory from 1948, 1952, 1954, and 1956. The only "super market" listed is A & P across the street from the Ace Theater. That was before A & P moved to 165th Street. It just seemed like they were saying it was in Hessville because of the location in the archives.
Thanks.
Ken..
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  00:41:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to the Purdue listing you supplied and plowed through all of the pics. There were a couple Hessville pics mixed in with the Griffith, Highland, Dyer, etc. pics.
And, to prove your point that the referencing isn't very reliable, in one picture (of a license bureau) a woman is holding a license plate with the date clearly readable as a given year and the description of the pic. states another decade.

I also searched on a 50s supermarket site to see if I could find the GIANT self-serve brand. It seems there were no GIANT food stores in the Chicago area----however, that site may not be entirely reliable either. Back in the 70's there was a GIANT pack-your- own groceries, here in TN. But it was in a huge warehouse type building, not a small mom and pop kinda place like that on pictured on Purdue's site.

quote:

Based upon the cars, the picture was taken in the early to middle 1950s; but it certainly wasn't on Kennedy Avenue in Hessville. I have the Kennedy Avenue pages of the City Directory from 1948, 1952, 1954, and 1956. The only "super market" listed is A & P across the street from the Ace Theater. That was before A & P moved to 165th Street. It just seemed like they were saying it was in Hessville because of the location in the archives.
Thanks.
Ken..

Go to Top of Page

linbu

27 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2009 :  23:53:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe the patrol lady in the above pic, at 171st and Kennedy, was Mrs. Wagner. I remember the shoe store too. I begged my mom for a purse in the window and finally got that big ugly thing.
Go to Top of Page

linbu

27 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2009 :  23:58:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe that grocery store was at the nw corner of 173rd and kennedy. It was later an IGA then a home remodeling or windows place.
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2009 :  08:14:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Linda - Welcome to the forum. It's good to have another former Governor aboard.
I forgot about Gregory's, but don't really think that's it. Even though it's not a close up take a look at this photo, the building looks somewhat different to me. What do you think SVEA? This is another photo from the Purdue Archives.

Ken
MHS 1960

Edited by - wvcogs on 05/19/2009 08:30:31
Go to Top of Page

linbu

27 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2009 :  10:09:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Lord! This is all so interesting. I'm on a quest now. I have to go to dad's and go through all his pictures. Surely they have some good ones. They lived in Hessville, in the same house, since right after the war till 2000.
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2009 :  12:21:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda - When you find those pictures let us know if you need any information about how to post them to the list.
Ken...

Go to Top of Page

linbu

27 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2009 :  15:41:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Somewhere, in this house, I have a couple bricks and the clock from the gym of that beautiful building.
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  20:45:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey 'linbu'
I believe I remember you. I am another 'Johnson' who is related to no one on this board. I do remember Tommy and the 'Walter' story does ring a bit familiar to me. I walked in '67. If you are who I think you are, didn't you pal around with a "Mardy" for a while?
I had Jancich(?) only for one class in my final year and Wally Ruff for a couple of detention sessions.
I only remember Mae Virden (I think she was about a hundred years old then)for one thing: she grabbed some really big dude (maybe Dennis Yuhasz)by the ear and lead him out of a study hall period or assembly for some kind of cutting up.
I am really looking forward to your pix.......Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 05/22/2009 20:47:19
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  21:04:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks.
Ken..

I have to agree with Ken on this one. The car in front is a '49 Ford; I had one just like it--I gave all of $50 for that tank.
We moved here in '54. Mom remembers that being an A&P until it became something else, but "Giant" never entered into the game...Cj
Go to Top of Page

linbu

27 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2009 :  04:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
seejay, Mardy and I have been friends since we were born, 8 days apart, 5 houses down. She lives in Illinois now. I haven't seen her since my moms funeral 2 years ao, but we always exchange birthday cards and keep in touch. I'm amazed anyone remembers me, lol. I was just about the most unpopular gal in school. I'm not related to any other Johnsons either.
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2009 :  07:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by linbu

seejay, Mardy and I have been friends since we were born, 8 days apart, 5 houses down. She lives in Illinois now. I haven't seen her since my moms funeral 2 years ao, but we always exchange birthday cards and keep in touch. I'm amazed anyone remembers me, lol. I was just about the most unpopular gal in school.
Oh man! Don't ever think like that. Someone will always remember you. The first posting you made, I had a feeling that's who it was...Cj

I'm not related to any other Johnsons either.

Go to Top of Page

Pro2am

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  23:38:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, that's Gregory's. Kennedy Ave. and 173rd St. Looking north up Kennedy. Just this side of Gregory's - on the SW corner - is Shutko's Gulf station. Across Kennedy is - or would one day be - Hessville Park. And closer on the right - where that whitle vehicle is parked - was where Bert's Shell station would someday be built.

Mike Rapchak Jr.

==================

quote:

Hello Linda - Welcome to the forum. It's good to have another former Governor aboard.
I forgot about Gregory's, but don't really think that's it. Even though it's not a close up take a look at this photo, the building looks somewhat different to me. What do you think SVEA? This is another photo from the Purdue Archives.

Ken
MHS 1960

Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  02:44:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just discovered this thread and the picture above; like my (late) big brother Mike said, that is definitely THE Gregory's grocery store at 173rd and Kennedy; no doubt about it. It's just a bit disorienting to see the street without Bert's Shell station across the street (on the right).

LR
Go to Top of Page

nitti

66 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  17:53:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Annelee

Back to that crossing guard - I actually remember her! How strange to see her face after all these years. I crossed there at 171st & Kennedy going to/from OLPH from '63 - '67. But I sure do not remember a shoe store at that corner - maybe before my time. I know a bank was there in the later 60's. I think the "W" that SC sees on that sign is actually a fancy "B." The rest of the letters would fit with Bocken.
Annelee - a 1971 grad of MHS

Don't know the name, but it was a general merchandise discount store.They held going out of business sales for years - I used to get paid to hand out the flyers.It finally actually went out of business and Bill Christy and Paul Hric bought it when they created Lake Federal Savings and Loan.
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  16:45:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a picture posted especially for Mr. Razz. It's a photo of Tim's older brother, David, that must have been taken during the 1963 Christmas season. I found this while going through some of our old photo albums. Mr. Razz, I hope you're still around.
Just click here to see the PhotoBucket image.
Ken

Edited by - wvcogs on 04/23/2010 12:06:16
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  01:12:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here is a picture posted especially for Mr. Razz. It's a photo of Tim's older brother, David, that must have been taken during the 1963 Christmas season. I found this while going through some of our old photo albums. Mr. Razz, I hope you're still around.
Just click here to see the PhotoBucket image.
Ken

Yep, that's Dave! At first I wasn't sure--I knew him when he was a couple of years older--but a closer look convinces me it's Dave. I can see a resemblance to his father, our revered biology teacher Mr. Julian Rasmussen. Both really great guys.

Bill

Warren G. Harding Class of '63
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  02:16:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No kidding---Mr. Rasmussen was one of my all-time favorite teachers. I took biology in the Fall of '68 at Morton. Boy, we sure made a mess of that miniature shark, trying to dissect him just right, under the watchful (but very forgiving) eye of Mr. R. I remember that he offered to give us extra credit if we could extract some part of the shark's brain without destroying it.....oops..darn! Well, maybe next time...

Mr. R was a great supporter of the school musicals; if I had a late-night rehearsal, he'd let me skip his first-period class the next day, as long as I kept up with the material. He used to record the shows himself, and he had the only recording in existence of the '68 spring musical "Finian's Rainbow", in which I played one of the leads. I saw him for YEARS after I graduated--I was always running into him at the store, etc---and he always said he'd dig out the tape and make me a copy. Last time I talked to him, he said he thought he had it in his garage somewhere; never managed to get it, though.

I remember a time in the mid-80's when my wife and I went to the old Ponderosa steak house in Munster on Ridge Road, and there was Julian, sitting by himself. I said hello to him, and he said that he had just moved his wife into a nursing home, as I recall. We felt really bad for him and invited him to join us for dinner, which he did. I could tell he appreciated it.

A good guy.

And here is Mr. Rasmussen himself, hard at work on some grotesque thing or other..but obviously enjoying it (from Morton Top-Hat, 1968-69).

Larry r

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 05/18/2010 20:41:25
Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  08:51:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, guess who else has a copy of that tape. Me! Mr. R was so excited he talked me into seeing it. And he made me a copy of the tape recording. I should still have it and I have an open reel recorder that I think still functions. What do you remember about the leading lady? I think she had an amazing voice.
quote:
Originally posted by HassoBenSoba

No kidding---Mr. Rasmussen was one of my all-time favorite teachers. I took biology in the Fall of '68 at Morton. Boy, we sure made a mess of that miniature shark, trying to dissect him just right, under the watchful (but very forgiving) eye of Mr. R. I remember that he offered to give us extra credit if we could extract some part of the shark's brain without destroying it.....oops..darn..well, we tried.

Mr. R was a great supporter of the school musicals; if I had a late-night rehearsal, he'd let me skip his first-period class the next day, as long as I kept up with the material. He used to record the shows himself, and he had the only recording in existence of the '68 spring musical "Finian's Rainbow", in which I played one of the leads. I saw him for YEARS after I graduated--I was always running into him at the store, etc---and he always said he'd dig out the tape and make me a copy. Last time I talked to him, he said he thought he had it in his garage somewhere; never managed to get it, though.

I remember a time in the mid-80's when my wife and I went to the old Ponderosa steak house in Munster on Ridge Road, and there was Julian, sitting by himself. I said hello to him, and he said that he had just moved his wife into a nursing home, as I recall. We felt really bad for him and invited him to join us for dinner, which he did. I could tell he appreciated it.

A good guy.

Larry r

Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  23:57:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JIM--

HOLY S____! I can't believe that you remember "Finian's Rainbow" at Morton H.S. in April of 1968--and that you have a copy of the Tape! We must talk.......

I played the role of OG, the Leprechaun who is gradually turning human. Here are two actual shots taken during one of the performances.

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af12/HassoBenSoba/NewhartTV0002.jpg
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af12/HassoBenSoba/FINIAN30001.jpg

The first shows me with the leading lady you mentioned, Sandy Snyder; yes, she was a real talent. Her father was the well-respected minister of the church by the library behind the Old Dime Store on 167th. Her mother, Connie, contributed a column to the Times' religion section until recently. The next year ('69) Sandy and I starred in the musical "Carnival" at Morton; the role she played had several off-color/suggestive lyrics, which she was always changing and "cleaning up". The director, Donn Edwards, who used to sit out in the theater during rehearsals with a bull-horn, finally decided that he had had enough. "Sandy Snyder" (his voice bellowed out of the darkness), "if you don't change those lyrics back you will NOT be performing on this stage!" She pleaded her case, saying that her father's congregation members would be coming to the show, and that it would be bad for his reputation if his daughter was up there singing these slightly risque words in public. I forget who won the battle, even though I was onstage with her during the scene. (I DO have a tape of "Carnival", but no reel-to-reel to play it on).

In the "Finian's pictures, you will notice my funky green costume, with cardboard top hat adorned with two pheasant feathers, latex Spock ears, and a prominent run in my green nylon; ah, the theater.....

Second pic is me and a bunch of kids searching for something...I forget what. These photos were prints made from SLIDES (they acquired their over-exposed look during the transfer) which were originally taken from the audience by Sandy Snyder's father.

Let me know if you find that tape of the show. Boy, this thread proves that you NEVER know what you might find on Sheptalk!

Larry r
Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  08:11:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, Do you have access to an open reel tape recorder? I know what that box looks like but, as usual I have to locate it. Yesterday while out in the garage I found some copies of the Mortonite circa 61 and 62. You never know what you will find out there.
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  22:57:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim--

I don't own a reel-to-reel.....but if I could get hold of a copy of a "Finian's Rainbow" tape, I'd find a way to get it transferred.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  00:00:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, you've earned an A+ in music; but I'm afraid we have to grade you down in biology. Those were the shark's semicircular canals, of course--thin, fragile, nearly transparent tubes at right angles to each other, on either side of the brain, very hard to expose without damaging them! Maybe we ought to sentence you to another semester of smelling that delightful formaldehyde?

Bill

Go to Top of Page

LegulusQ

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  03:08:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also have reel-to-reel copies of Finian's Rainbow, Carnival, and Camelot, as I served as the sound man for all Morton's plays/musicals from 1968-1970. At some point, I am pretty sure I transferred some or all of them to cassette format for someone else who wanted a copy. I'll have to do some deep digging in a closet that is stacked with junk from floor to ceiling - you know, the closet for things that you rarely ever pull out but just can't stand to get rid of!
I remember staying up almost all night on school nights, doing elaborate mix-downs of sound effects. I often needed to combine sounds from different sources, but we didn't have a multi-track facility and the sound system in the theater was mono. So I would use two stereo reel-to-reel units to record four tracks of sound effects, then mix that down to a third stereo reel-to-reel to get to two tracks, and then mix that down with a Y-adapter onto the school's Wollensak mono tape recorder to actually plug into the sound board offstage.
We sometimes did shows with rapid fire, multiple cues for sound effects, so I would have the individual effects separated on the tape by only a second or two, and use the pause button to be ready right away for the next cue (oh, to have had digital capabilities back then!). I'll never forget one night at dress rehearsal, I was ready for my visual cue for the actress onstage to begin plucking an otherwise invisible harp. Unfortunately, I had paused the tape a second early at the conclusion of the previous effect, which had been a car crash! So as the actress brings her hands down to begin her lovely harp solo, there is suddenly a cacophonous crash of metal on metal prior to the harp beginning! Within seconds, I heard Mr. Edwards' voice in my ear through my headphones, intoning the immortal words: "Heads will roll!" But I could hear the amusement in his voice, and luckily we got it right during the actual performances. Working on those productions was certainly a highlight of my high school experience at MHS!

LegulusQ
Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  08:52:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One way or the other. I will start to looking for that box of tapes in the garage and I see we have another source so i think this could be your lucky day! This whole thing got me thinking yesterday that I had never seen the film Ferry Cross The Mersy with Gerry and The Pacemakers. So yesterday I found someone on the internet who would sell it to me cheap.
quote:
Originally posted by HassoBenSoba

Jim--

I don't own a reel-to-reel.....but if I could get hold of a copy of a "Finian's Rainbow" tape, I'd find a way to get it transferred.

Larry

Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  00:19:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just checked the identity of LegulusQ---and, as I thought from reading the long post--it's Craig Lannin, whom I remember very well from Morton and OLPH; can you beat that?!

Craig, I remember your audio work from the musicals and band/choral concerts; I also remember your father, one of the nicest people I've ever met, who used to serve as a commentator at OLPH church (you guys lived right across the street and down a bit to the south on Arizona, right?--- near the Gardena's, I think).

Anyway, it's great to hear from you...and yes, if you happen to have a "Finian's" tape in some currently playable format, I would love a copy, since I've never heard the thing since we performed it. That would also save Jim Plummer a lot of trouble with his open-reel situation.

Boy, this Sheptalk thing is really cool!

Larry r
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  00:31:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Bucko

Larry, you've earned an A+ in music; but I'm afraid we have to grade you down in biology. Those were the shark's semicircular canals, of course--thin, fragile, nearly transparent tubes at right angles to each other, on either side of the brain, very hard to expose without damaging them! Maybe we ought to sentence you to another semester of smelling that delightful formaldehyde?

Bill

Bill,

Actually, it was Zoology--- but you're right; if it hadn't been for the consideration of Mr. Rasmussen, I'm sure my grade would have been lower than it was.

Yeah, that formaldehyde was pretty wretched, especially first thing in the morning. We'd all go up to the front of the room, put on these rubber gloves, open the big plastic storage tank--where all the shark specimens were jumbled together in the formaldehyde---and pick through them, to identify which one we had been working on ("Here's mine---I recognize the hack job I did on his head..", etc, etc). Then there was the cute little fetal pigs that we had to butcher...and the live frogs that had to be decapitated so that we could hook their leg muscles up to the electrodes and watch them dance around when the juice was turned on.

Great way to start the day.

Larry R
Go to Top of Page

LegulusQ

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  01:24:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Larry,

My parents still live in the same house on Arizona Ave., the second house from the corner of Orchard Drive (it was still Black Oak Road to us). The Gardenas lived next door to Dr. Ramker, directly across the street from the old church. My dad is now 88 and my mom 86. They have definitely slowed down quite a bit, but I'm very grateful to still have them with us. Thanks for your kind comments about my dad. He is a special man and always loved activities at the church and at his beloved Little Red Schoolhouse.

I have lived in Redding in far northern California for 20 years. I can see Mt. Shasta from my deck. I still get back to Hammond at least once or twice a year. In fact, I plan to be there in August for the Class of 70's 40-year reunion.

I think I am going to try to re-copy the tapes through my sound card onto my computer and then burn them onto CD-ROM's. At our last reunion, several of my classmates asked me for copies, so this way I will be able to mass produce them. It may take me awhile, but if you can wait until August (what the heck, you've waited for 42 years, what's another 3-4 months?!), I'll be sure to bring you a copy.

I have a vivid memory of you teaching yourself to play the marimba in about 20 minutes in Mr. Edwards' classroom at Morton during one of the productions. That was amazing! I would love to hear you conduct your orchestra one of these days. Perhaps we could arrange for you to come out to Redding/Chico and guest conduct the North State Symphony?!

By the way, the nickname LegulusQ was given to me by my brother back in the 70's, and it stuck. I have had people ask me if it was related to the character Legolas from the Lord of the Rings, but it actually "stemmed" from my height. I think the Q was just appended because it sounded like an appropriate middle initial for Legulus!

I've enjoyed reading all the posts archived over the past several years. I actually found the site a couple of years ago, but for reasons unknown I never thought to post anything until drifting back to the site this week, after a lapse of six months or so. I'd also like to express belated condolences to you after losing your brother Mike. I was very saddened to hear that news. It's great to hear from you again.

Best wishes, Craig
Go to Top of Page

Joel357

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  08:44:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry and Craig,

Since you are Morton alums, do remember Ron Dietrich? His were friends of my family. His dad was a Hammond cop and his mom worked at Orchard Park Elementary as a secretary.

Joel

Go to Top of Page

LegulusQ

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  01:57:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Joel. The name rings a bell, but I don't actually think I've met Ron. Do you know what year he graduated? Craig

LegulusQ

Edited by - LegulusQ on 04/22/2010 12:34:04
Go to Top of Page

Joel357

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  08:35:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Craig,

Ron Dietrich would have graduated from Morton in 1970 but his dad retired from Hammond PD in 1968 and got a job in 1968 with the state department's AID program. He helped set up the Ryhad(sp?), Saudia Arab finger printing department. Ron ended up graduating from American Community School in Beirut in 1970. They lived east of where the Lutheran church is now and a stone throws away from Carney's. The Dietrichs were old family friends and we used to go camping with them back in the 1960s.

Joel
Go to Top of Page

nitti

66 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  13:55:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LegulusQ

Hi, Joel. The name rings a bell, but I don't actually think I've met Ron. Do you know what year he graduated? Craig

LegulusQ

Yo LegulusQ - just found an old framed picture. Do you remember the B-League Braves in Lost park? I'm pretty sure that's Mr.Olsen on your left and me on your right.
Go to Top of Page

LegulusQ

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  20:15:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Frank! I remember the B League Braves very well! However, I'm not seeing the picture or a link to it. Could you try re-uploading it? Thanks. Craig

LegulusQ
Go to Top of Page

LegulusQ

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2010 :  01:43:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hey Larry, after you mentioned your good friend Charlie Harvey, I wondered if you had seen this photo from Purdue Cal's archives showing Charlie rocking the trampoline at Hessville Park? I also see Tom Kocur, Jackie White (RIP), and several others whose faces I know but whose names don't immediately come to mind but that I know are buried somewhere deep in my cortex.

This was taken during the summer rec program at the park. Who doesn't remember playing box hockey, washers, loop tennis, ping pong, and other assorted games during hot, muggy, summer days, either at Hessville Park as in this picture or at Lost Park and other Hammond Parks?

I remember re-enacting (even before it was made!) the Lifebuoy scene from A Christmas Story one summer after spending time with the "big kids" at the park and then coming home and dropping the F-Bomb on my mom, having no idea what it was I was saying! Ahhh, those were the days!

LegulusQ
Go to Top of Page

nitti

66 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2010 :  08:01:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LegulusQ

Hi, Frank! I remember the B League Braves very well! However, I'm not seeing the picture or a link to it. Could you try re-uploading it? Thanks. Craig

LegulusQ

LegulusQ - give me a day or two.Im going out of town for a wedding and am a bit of a luddite - my son will have to upload it and for some reason the site won't let him join.
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2010 :  16:53:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Craig,

Somewhere in the dim, dark past I remember seeing this picture...sometime after I was "banned" from hanging around with Charlie (in late 1964--for reasons I'd rather not disclose). I'd guess the pic was taken around 1968. I also recognize a lot of the faces from OLPH; and there's the old Hessville Park Shelter House, and the swings and pool barely visible through it's "portals".

Charlie was a special guy; he really brought me out of my "shell" and (whether he intended to or not), turned me into a real looney. He reminded me of a combination of Ed Norton and Soupy Sales (both of whom, incidentally, had their very sensitive side). Charlie and I spent almost every day together--from spring of '62 to fall of '64--and I could fill PAGES with my memories of our exploits. Our friendship was, in a word, unique. We rarely saw each other after my parents forced the "split"; the last time was in the early '80's, when I ran into Charlie at Fabulous Hot Dog on 169th & Kennedy (during one of my frequent taco runs). We ate and talked, but he seemed totally subdued--very serious. I always felt that he had a deep and thoughtful side that he masked with his own special brand of wackiness. Anyway, I hope he's well and that we will meet up some time.

Thanks for posting the pic.

Larry

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 04/25/2010 01:44:53
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2010 :  22:12:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,
That picture was in the 1966 PR booklet published by the Chamber of Commerce trying to get businesses to move back into or to stay in Hammond. That's the same booklet that had the picture of Art's Drive In and color pictures of State Street at night, the front of Minas, and of Karline House, as well as maybe a couple dozen other shots. Look closely at it and you can see the dot pattern from the printing process.
Ken

Edited by - wvcogs on 04/24/2010 22:13:40
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2010 :  20:40:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To "SECOND SON", the new guy on Sheptalk.

This thread, "Photo Album", is a great example of a topic that contains a LOT of great info and (obviously) photos, many of which deal with Hessville.

The problem is that many of these threads go off in different directions, leading us into all sorts of unrelated (but very cool) stuff. I often find myself totally UNABLE to remember where I saw or read something interesting, and often give up trying to find it.

There's a photo and commentary here about everybody's favorite zoology teacher from Morton H.S., Mr. Julian Rasmussen. As you explore further on Sheptalk, you will also come across a thread entitled "Mr. RAZZ"....which is entirely about the same man! But when I posted my picture here on "PHOTO ALBUM", I had no idea that the "Mr. Razz" thread was a tribute to Mr. Rasmussen, so we end up with the info split up between two different topics/threads.

Someday, Tom J, our moderator will, I'm sure, spend weeks and months cataloguing all of the info here on Sheptalk and creating an alphabetical INDEX, which will allow us to track down the great variety of topics discussed here (just kidding, Tom).

LR
Go to Top of Page

LegulusQ

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  01:20:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hey, Nitti, here is the photo you mentioned above. This is the 1963 Hessville LL B League Braves. My Dad actually wrote down the team stats on the back of the photo. You had a very respectable .454 batting average for the season, second only to Bill Brownewell's .534!

Here is the rogues' gallery, er I mean roster, of the team.

Front row, L to R:
George Bocken, Jay Zaremba, Mark Joseph, Ron Reczek, Pat Higgins, Bill Brownewell, Phil Goginski, and Bruce Lauer.

Back row, L to R:
Coach Stan Reczek, Bob Corey, Rick Tomich, Larry Oller, Larry Winninger, Jim Brown, Frank Mosca, Craig Lannin, and Manager Bill Olson.

The photo was taken at Lost (please, no Gibson!) Park.

LegulusQ
Go to Top of Page

TestPattern

48 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  13:59:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey LegulusQ -

Back then you didn't have the "legs" that you have now! Young Frank was taller than you.

TestPattern
Go to Top of Page

LegulusQ

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  16:29:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, at that time Nitti was 12 and I was only 11. But you're right, I didn't really start my major growth surge until I was about 14 or 15.

LegulusQ
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  01:23:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently bought a couple of Morton Top Hat year books on E-Bay, for 1963 and 1965.

From the 1963 ads section, here's a photo of Dairy Queen (with everyone's favorite biology teacher, Mr. R, standing in front):

There's also an interior photo of Pin Bowl lanes, where Shep worked; but it's so obviously modernized, with automatic machines instead of pin boys, that I don't think there'd be any interest in posting it.

Bill

Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  01:47:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are also interesting facts in the Faculty section, disclosing never-suspected info about some of our favorite (or not so favorite) teachers:

English teacher Mabel Hunter (nicknamed "The Great White Hunter"):
Played piano for silent movies.

Math teacher Hans Moll:
Is an avid Mickey Mouse fan.

Social studies teacher Roy Moorehead:
Has a private flying license.

Latin teacher Walter P. Ruff:
"There will be weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth."

biology teacher Julian H. Rasmussen:
Works each summer on city mosquito abatement project.

Phys ed teacher Maury Zlotnik:
Attends professional football games.

Bill

Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  02:11:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about one for Miss Mae Virden---"sits home at night dreaming up ways to make her student's lives a living hell?" I couldn't stand the old biddy. Mable Hunter, on the other hand, was COOL personified.

Nice '63 Dairy Queen pic; I guess Mr. R and the students couldn't wait for warm weather before starting in on the ice cream.

LR
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  08:03:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks like Lannie Barnet in the DQ ad. I worked with his dad at Inland.
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  08:19:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as we are on the DQ pic, here is a hot trivia item:
CJ lived in that first house north of DQ for a few months, in '71, after bailing out of the Army. How's 'bout dat!!...Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 12/17/2010 08:19:35
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1192 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  09:28:06  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm lovin' this discussion, even though I am not a Hessville-ite. You guys are talking about the same times when I was in high school at Hammond High, so I can relate to a lot of the stuff you are saying.

Where was the DQ? On Kennedy? Which side of the street? Is that house in the background of the DQ picture the one you lived in for a while, Chris?

Tom
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page