Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  11:08:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A good place to centralize and share those vintage photos of people, places and things.

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  11:22:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of these may be a repeat of photos already viewed, but one must start somewhere.

I love this shot! I think this first one is probably the best photo of Hessville that I've seen as far as depicting the business that it once conducted. This looks like some streets of Chicago that I have seen.

Something Old, Something New
This one is of Kennedy Ave sometime in the 50's. I tried to duplicate the angle just to have some fun (2007).

This place needs no introduction.

Edited by - seejay2 on 10/18/2007 11:37:06
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  12:06:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Comments about the busy street scene in Hessville:

1. I never noticed the sporting goods store before. The sign is barely visible in the background. Now, after checking the 1954 Hammond City Directory I see that Sienkiewicz Sporting Goods was at 6717 Kennedy Avenue.

2. That's quite a combination of movies at the Ace. Anchors Aweigh with Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelly was made in 1946. There were two movies in the mid 1950s with the title High Society. One was made in 1956 and had Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby and Grace Kelly. The other was a Bowery Boys movie from 1955 with Leo Gorcey and Huntz Hall. Since it's the Ace, my money would be on the Bowery Boys.

3. SVEA3 already has identified the fellow in the front who is crossing Martha Street as one of the Lohse boys.

4. The first building that is visible on the left across Kennedy Avenue is George's Pinbowlarama where we believe Shep worked in the 1930s. And right next to that is Solina's Bakery where our friend Cj worked in the 1960s.

Ken...

Edited by - wvcogs on 10/18/2007 12:09:12
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  12:41:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about this one from the back of that building that was very special to many of us? That's either a freshman game or football practice on the field behind the school in the late 1950s. The photo is another one from the Purdue Calumet Library Archives.
Ken...

Edited by - wvcogs on 10/18/2007 12:42:36
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  15:21:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My God! Is that behind Oliver P?

Here's one I need help with:
I'm assuming that the pix of the two bikes below are from somewhere near the Hammond area. The pix were taken around 1949, judging from the plate on the car. Does anybody have any idea where this place could be? I'm sure the sign above says DRIVE-IN, but I can't pin it down to an area familiar to me....Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 10/18/2007 15:35:58
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  16:24:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ:

Wasn't there a place people called The Nook in Hammond--maybe Hessville--but in Hammond somewhere? Look at the two pictures you posted with the motorcycles. The one on the left has an N over what we assume is Drive-In and the on the the right has a k above that same sign.

Was the Nook somewhere near Tech or Hammond High?

Also, the Loshe guy in the Kennedy Avenue (Janc's) shot (my favorite, too), is Karl who graduated Morton High School in 1958==and==is a cousin of Linda Johnson--but then, who isn't her cousin besides me?

Grand Park Subdivision 1940-1961 Boondocks of Hessville!

Edited by - S C Jones on 10/18/2007 16:29:50
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  16:49:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not bad analytical thinking, SC, but not a touchdown either. The "Nook", which went in to become Flick's, is a little bitty place in Hessville on the corner of Janet Pl. & Kennedy Ave on the north end of town.
This is the only pic I have of it right now and I really doesn't do it justice. I wouldn't even have that pic if Ken hadn't pointed it out to me on another site.

I'm playing with the "N&K" clues, too. 'Nighthawk', Northfork, 'Nosepick'? Don't know.......Cj
PS. Even though my name is Johnson too, I didn't make the "Linda's Relatives" grade either.

Edited by - seejay2 on 10/18/2007 17:20:39
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  17:19:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ:
How about the Nitpick Drive-In? Who are the guys? Is this from your family photos? Are you sure the guy on the right isn't Marlon Brando?

BTW: I have a shot of (newspaper clipping) fire station #4 on Kennedy Ave.--don't know if that is one you or someone else posted--will send to you or Ken for posting, if one of you doesn't already have it.

Ken:
Who would the coach be in that football game/practice? I don't see Zlotnik--no one that wide in that photo.

I do remember the high school games were always played elsewhere because of the stickers on our playground/field. Interesting that football wasn't the money pit in those days that it is now. The band probably got more money than football. Where did the school system go wrong with its now mad craze for athletics and no physical education?

Lamentable situation, no?

Edited by - S C Jones on 10/18/2007 17:25:11
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  17:34:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's take a look at your firehouse photo. This is exactly the kind of stuff we want. Is there a story tied to it?..........Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 10/18/2007 17:35:52
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  19:42:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the one of SC's father and step mother digging out over on Maryland Avenue after the big snow of January 1967.

SC can let us know the rest of the story.

Ken...

Edited by - wvcogs on 10/19/2007 11:00:52
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  13:25:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's that famous building during the winter of 1958-59. This is from the 1959 Top Hat. That book won a national award. I don't like to brag a lot, but I still am proud that my wife was its editor.
Ken...

Edited by - wvcogs on 10/19/2007 13:28:31
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  16:30:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had to go to the old country today. Mom must be getting the "bug", she wanted to go through my yearbook!. I figured I'd update a couple of things while there.

FLICKS (formerly "The Nook")
I never had a pic of this place, so here it is. That red 'thing' over the door is a marketing failure. It says "Flick's Tap", but you can hardly read it from 3 feet away. Maybe it lights up.

CHUCK & IRENE'S
I guess they are still in business, Ken. This was taken today.

...Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 10/19/2007 16:31:53
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  19:16:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I looked all morning for a pic of the Nook and couldn't find one. Was it the end or beginning of the bus line? Maybe it was both. Thanks for that and the one of C&I's.
Ken...
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  09:19:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FYI
Just in case nobody told y'all, this has been sold, torn down and replaced.............

.....with this!...........Cj

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  13:28:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is one passed along from SC Jones. This place seems familiar, but yet I don't know. I can't think of a place on Kennedy Ave that fits the caption. Anybody know where this was or what the story is behind it?.............Cj
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  09:10:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UPDATE!
Regarding the earlier biker pix:
We received an email from an old gentleman (80 something) telling us that there was a very popular place on Burnham Ave in Cal City called "Nighthawk". This place was frequented by bikers from miles around in the late 40's. I believe this may solve the mystery drive-in pix. Can anybody shed some light on this?....Cj
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  14:55:32  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ken, You know the OPM school pix makes me ask when the Elementary building was constructed?

Bikers comments gybes with my cousin's story.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  15:40:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What would your cousin's story be?.......Cj
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  20:46:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda -- The two story elementary building at 170th and Marshall was constructed in 1957. Here's a picture from the Purdue Calumet archives showing the very beginning of the construction.
Ken...

Edited by - wvcogs on 11/05/2007 22:00:33
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  12:05:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken Gets 5 Gold Stars
Ken has solved the riddle of the #4 Firehouse picture. First of all, it's not in Hessville, but East Chicago. Ken emailed the EC fire chief making an inquiry about said firehouse and received this helpfull reply:

Dear Mr. O'Neil
The newspaper photo you sent is of our old fire station number 4 which was located at
4858 Kennedy Ave. in East Chicago, Indiana, the text of the article implies that the
station was torn down for an empty lot; it was actually torn down in order to build the
new station number 4 on the same location. The new #4 took a little over a year from
planning to end of construction, which may account for the writer of the article thinking
it was just too be an empty lot. I believe old station 4 was torn down in 1995 and the
new station was completed in 1996. At the time old #4 was our oldest and smallest fire
station, newer model fire vehicles could not fit in the station, as we were replacing our
older vehicles it became obvious that we would have a problem with this station.
Expanding the station was not an option, since it was built in the 1920's there were many
serious issues with the station. Old station #4 was a single bay station housing only
one fire vehicle, new station #4 is modern 4 bay station housing two fire vehicles (a
fire attack pumper and a 100' ladder truck) and an ambulance.

I hope this information is of some help, if we can be of further assistance please feel
free to contact us again.
Sincerely,
Valeriano F. Gomez
Fire Chief
ECFD

Great work, Ken! NOW I remember the place! I used to pass by it on the way to LTV when I still lived in Hessville. No wonder it looked familiar to me. It was a little bitty place right in a residential neighborhood. They built the new one and right across the street was a mall area that they prettied up at the same time buy adding benches and flowers and stuff. I guess I will have to go over that way again on the next trip to the old country and take a second look..........Cj

BTW Linda: Still waiting on the cousin's "biker photo" story...Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 11/08/2007 15:16:03
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  11:36:13  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'll send this to my other "cousin". He went Tech and said these guys were older than him. This sounds like a very reasonable explanation,to me.
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  12:01:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will be waiting for you...........Cj
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  14:25:39  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
WELL I already sent the message to my cousin's wife.

TO SCJ: Hessville IS my hometown and I proudly claim that. It is just filled with my relatives!My ggGrandfather was one of the originals. I remember riding in buggy for the centennial celebration in costume. Does anyone else recall that parade?
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  19:34:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What message? I think there is a bit of confusion here. You said,"Bikers comments gybes with my cousin's story." and I would like to know what your cousin's story is?.........Cj
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  21:48:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since this is a Photo Album, here is another somewhat interesting picture. It is of the Hessville 5 and 10 and the two story building where Wachala's School of Music was located taken from inside Hill's Hammond Times Agency. The picture was used as the two page spread that introduced the advertising section in the 1960 Top Hat, the Morton High School yearbook.

Ken...

Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  04:09:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, wonderful photo! Thanks!

I'd forgotten all about that circular rack of books by the front door, where I sometimes glimpsed the really naughty cover of a certain Mickey Spillane novel!

It was rumored (but never confirmed by me) that copies of Playboy were kept under the counter (too racy for public display, in that town and that era).

Bill

Warren G. Harding Class of '63

Edited by - Bill Bucko on 11/16/2007 04:14:25
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  19:29:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great shot of Hill's Ken! Just as I remember it. Now I need to see the shooting arcade machine in the back where I blew every dime I had trying to shoot the "Witch"..........Cj
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  22:20:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Linda!

Hessville is my hometown too, but all my known relatives (and there are a lot of them) are in the hills of Southeastern KY--Yahoo! I have been online searching in geneology sights and have found a picture of my paternal great-great grandparents, have some pretty reliable info saying my grandmother was Choctaw. Not sure, because some say it was my great-grandmother who was Native American.

I love the fact that you have a passel of relatives in Hessville and surrounding area (EC, I think you mentioned). Your grandparents walked some of the same ground I walked to school--though they may have been hoeing and plowing, since it was farmland when they walked it.

quote:
Originally posted by svea3

TO SCJ: Hessville IS my hometown and I proudly claim that. It is just filled with my relatives!My ggGrandfather was one of the originals. I remember riding in buggy for the centennial celebration in costume. Does anyone else recall that parade?

Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2007 :  16:36:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A trip through some old files produced the negative for this picture of the Memorial Day 1960 observance at Hessville Park. Notice the 48 star flags carried by all but the boy scout who has a 50 star flag. I recognize the two Morton band members, the one with the rifle and the one carrying the flag.

Ken...
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2008 :  03:01:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This great shot of the old Ace Theatre was taken sometime during the week beginning Friday, November 25, 1955.
I came across the info in the Hammond Times theater listings in the Hammond Library's old microfilm collection.
As another reader notes, there were TWO films entitled "High Society" released around this time;
the one which played at the Ace on this double-bill was the Leo Gorcey version.

[quote]Originally posted by seejay2

Some of these may be a repeat of photos already viewed, but one must start somewhere.

I love this shot! I think this first one is probably the best photo of Hessville that I've seen as far as depicting the
business that it once conducted. This looks like some streets of Chicago that I have seen.

Edited by - HassoBenSoba on 02/24/2012 23:03:00
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2008 :  08:04:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hasso,

Thanks for the information. I just wonder if there could have been an article explaining all the activity. All those folks probably were not there to see the movies. My guess is that Santa just made his appearance in the empty lot between the Pin Bowl and the old A&P. Does anyone remember that he showed up one year in the late 1950s in a helicopter?

Ken...
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2008 :  15:08:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember the helicopter visit, but I don't remember what year it was..............a long, long time ago.

I do remember, however, being more interested in how the helicopter worked over the presence of Santa.........Cj
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2008 :  19:57:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about getting some action started again on this photo album? Here's my posting. It's the old Hessville home place on Carolina Avenue. Actually, I had left for college by the time this picture was taken, but probably took it while home for the Christmas break.
Ken...

Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2008 :  10:37:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm game!
Here is the "CJ" estate when it was purchased in 1954 (left side).

It is situated in the middle of the 6600 block of Arizona Ave. One of the features of this lovely home was the huge "octopus" oil fired furnace in the basement. It had been converted from a coal burner to oil, a major selling point. After the old man slammed his head into the tentacles of it enough times, we finally got one of those wee forced air gas furnaces that everyone has now.
It was re-sided a few years later with a navy blue and yellow trim (UGGHHH!!!!)
Some time in the 60's, the porch was enclosed and converted to an inside living area and was again re-sided with a brand new concept---aluminum!!!

Edited by - seejay2 on 01/11/2009 17:27:45
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2008 :  12:00:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About one hundred years ago, many different ethnic groups began the journey to Northwest Indiana (and other areas of this country) from Eastern European countries to work in the mills and other industries. My wife's grandparents came separately to the United States from Hungary in 1907 and settled in the Hungarian community along Melville and Alexander Avenues in East Chicago. They were married in 1910. I never knew my wife's grandfather, but her grandmother, who was born in 1887, became one of my favorite ladies of all time. For that reason, I am posting in her memory this photo that I took sometime around 1960. Everybody called her Grandma.

Ken...

Edited by - wvcogs on 11/21/2008 12:01:38
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2008 :  13:24:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very, very interesting photo, Ken. My great-grandparents lived at 4716 Alexander and my mother, at one time, lived in the 4800 block of Melville. Mom is the Hungarian side of the family. Here is a pic of my fam in the Alexander home.

Great-grandma is all the way to the right. She sure does look alot like the "Grandma" in your photo, doesn't she?
I am the guy kneeling on the left. My brother would probably grin like that if his hair was on fire. My sister---not so much.
In the back are great-gramps, gramps and mom....Cj
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2008 :  11:41:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All of us at Morton High School were not athletes; but those of us who were in the band were also awarded "letters" for our achievements. Here's the one I received for being in John Melton's band from 1956 until 1960.

Mr. Melton was teacher and band director at Morton from 1929 until about 1970. He was at the school on Marshall Avenue before the building we all knew was constructed in 1936-37; and he moved on to the current building at 169th and Grand. Before the three story addition was built onto the Marshall Avenue building in 1953, the band room was on the first floor where the shop was located after Mr. Melton moved to the third floor.

Ken.

Edited by - wvcogs on 11/24/2008 12:46:43
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  11:47:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SC Jones asked me to post this photo with the following comment:

"A great-niece (now a senior in high school) of SC, wears this sweatshirt which was purchased by her mother (niece of SC) when she was a freshman or sophomore at Oliver Perry Morton High School in the mid-70's. SC graduated Morton in 1958."

Morton Governors

Ken...
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2008 :  12:54:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Gang!

Just a small thing...

For those of you who feel slighted because you have been away from 'Da Region' for so long, here is the other edge of the sword..

..it was 3 below when I took these this morning!
I believe it is well within the concept of a well digger's butt....Cj

Go to Top of Page

duane

381 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  08:30:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reminds me of the scene on Christmas morning when Ralphie looks out his bedroom window! We have -18 this morning in northern Minnesota, but no ice, thank goodness.
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2008 :  19:11:05  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Brrrrr

We in the Detroit River received a blanket of snow some 12". I was looking at the OPM year book of 1959 and noted that in one of the descriptive blurbs about the court yard near the Kindergarten picture which remarks that there was a shutting down of the schools which had not been done since 1938! I remember wearing wool socks when Judy Bogan and I walked to school in -14 weather.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  14:28:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay my Hessville friends from the 1950s and '60s... Who among you can tell me a story about this picture of the crossing guard lady and her young friends? Where was the picture taken? What time of day was it taken? Who do you think the kids are, not individually, but where are they coming from? I think I know, but just want to check with some of you.

How about two pairs of shoes for $5.00???

Ken...

This photo is from the Purdue Calumet Library Archives.

Edited by - wvcogs on 01/27/2009 14:33:00
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  15:27:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken,

I'll start with the easy part---Crossing Kennedy Avenue at (guessing, 165th or 172nd) after school (because jackets in hand, most are smiling. I see what might be the school of music in the background(I thought at first it was a funeral home, but the sign begins with a W, I think.) Also see a State Farm Sign way down the line. The guy in a plaid shirt pushing a bike closest to the crossing guard's left hand and nearest the camera, looks like Stan Mize.
Do I sound completely in the dark? I don't remember the shoe store sign--wasn't there a Thom McAnn shoe store on Kennedy?
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  17:09:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DIG IT, SC!! I love the pic!! This is at the intersection of Kennedy & 171st, looking northwest. If the photographer were to turn 90 degrees to the right, you would see Virgil Huber Funeral home.
In the center of the pic is Bocken Funeral Home and that is the white limo ready for service.
My guess is school let out from OLPH and all the kiddies are heading home. I forgot all about that shoe store being there.
You can't even buy two decent laces for $5......Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 01/27/2009 17:48:57
Go to Top of Page

S C Jones

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  18:48:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seejay,
I was going to ask if that was Bocken Funeral home, but the sign seems to start with a W and the place everyone took accordian lessons started with a W. It was at 171st that I and my fellow neighborhooders crossed Kennedy--I just had the number wrong.

quote:
Originally posted by seejay2

DIG IT, SC!! I love the pic!! This is at the intersection of Kennedy & 171st, looking northwest. If the photographer were to turn 90 degrees to the right, you would see Virgil Huber Funeral home.
In the center of the pic is Bocken Funeral Home and that is the white limo ready for service.
My guess is school let out from OLPH and all the kiddies are heading home. I forgot all about that shoe store being there.
You can't even buy two decent laces for $5......Cj

Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  18:58:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way to go, Cj. I guess the only thing missing is that the photographer was standing in front of Artim Trucking. Also, according to the city directory, Homer Croffoot owned a gas station on the southwest corner. Do you have a guess about the year based on the cars? I don't have any idea about that.

Ken...
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2009 :  14:59:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rather than start yet another short term topic, I'll just put this here.
I got this email from a former classmate.

"For those fellow classmates who attended Harding, I am sorry to advise you that Mr. Dan Gyure passed away on Tuesday, January 27, 2009, at the age of 76. Mr Gyure was our gym teacher and basketball coach at Harding who later became the principal of the Morton Grade school. He was a great guy who helped many of us out through the years. He will be greatly missed. It is my understanding that the wake is this Friday from 3 to 7 PM and that the funeral is Saturday but I do not know where the services are being held."

I did not know Dan Gyure......Cj
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2009 :  19:52:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Purdue Calumet Library photo archives includes this picture of a house on the southeast corner of 165th Street and Carolina Avenue in Hessville. Why would a collection like the archives include a shot of someone's house? Apparently there was another reason for including the picture. I had no idea until I sent a few of the pictures to some of my 1960 MHS classmates.

This information was provided by classmate Joel Smolen, whose family moved to 3023 165th Street in 1946. The house was moved to 165th and Carolina from near the corner of 165th and Kennedy, about across the street from the American Legion. After the house was moved, the area on Kennedy was a large vacant lot for many years. The Post Office is located there now.

Joel was about 6 years old when the house was moved down 165th to it's current location. He remembers seeing it being moved along the street. Joel said he and some friends played in the sand under the house while it was still up on blocks until it was lowered onto the foundation. The weather was warm when the move occurred, so he thinks the time was June-September in 1948 or 1949.

Ken...

Edited by - wvcogs on 01/28/2009 21:22:48
Go to Top of Page

Annelee

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  20:50:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back to that crossing guard - I actually remember her! How strange to see her face after all these years. I crossed there at 171st & Kennedy going to/from OLPH from '63 - '67. But I sure do not remember a shoe store at that corner - maybe before my time. I know a bank was there in the later 60's. I think the "W" that SC sees on that sign is actually a fancy "B." The rest of the letters would fit with Bocken.
Annelee - a 1971 grad of MHS

Edited by - Annelee on 03/04/2009 23:48:58
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  06:47:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trust me, it is Bocken. I was just in there two weeks ago....Cj
Go to Top of Page

Jim R

61 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  19:46:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remember pennants? Here are the ones I still have.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee288/effenger/Harding.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee288/effenger/Brookview.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee288/effenger/LincolnPark.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee288/effenger/Dunes.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee288/effenger/RoadsideAmerica.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee288/effenger/Allentown.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee288/effenger/CadallacMI.jpg

Harding K thru 7
Morton 8 thru 12

Edited by - Jim R on 04/24/2009 19:54:04
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page