Astounding program!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

m10bob

USA
233 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  06:54:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Dick Alliger(sp?) for providing the recently aired early program from 1956.
Hearing a WOR program from when Shep was only 35 years old was very revealing, allowing Shep to touch briefly on several of his later aired and loved topics,(Hammond, the Army,his feelings and observations about life), and the obligatory theme song!

Also thanks to Max for airing this very fine program, and Mr Clavin for providing format to access it on a national level.

In Hoc Agricula Conc
In Est Spittle Louk

diskojoe

161 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  09:20:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This past week's program (the Great American Dream Machine) was also pretty astounding, with everything from Shep doing a Good Guys impersonation, the Mel Brooks 2,500 (not 2,000) Year Old Man beer commercial, the Rover 2000 ad w/that gadget to warn of icy roads & ending up w/a bit o' philosophy (I wish I could have a friendly argument w/Shep about what he said). I found it ironic that one of the songs he played during his Good Guys period, "You Turn Me On", was by Ian Whitcomb, who is now known as a authority of popular music of the early 20th Century, the stuff that Shep usually played on his shows.

Also, and please forgive me if I'm sounding like a sorehead, but I see that there are 48 pages on Hammond, IN and nothing against the good people who post there, it's a groovy thing and all, but I wish that there were more discussion on Shep & his work & how it relates to the crazy old world we live in today. I feel that Shep was much more than the kid stories, & that A Christmas Story was only a small tip of the iceberg of his talent. Again, this is not a put-down of the good people w/memories of Hammond, just a small plea to fill up the other discussion topics (& I'm still looking for that Concrete Mexican )
Go to Top of Page

m10bob

USA
233 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  07:14:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking for the concrete mexican as well...

In Hoc Agricula Conc
In Est Spittle Louk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page