"Excelsior You Fathead"
 Shep 'n Elvis
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

diskojoe

161 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  10:26:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the 30th anniversary of Elvis' passing from this earth coming up (& boy does something like that really make you feel old!) & being somewhat of a student of both Elvis & Shep, I feel that both of them had things in common. For one thing, Elvis' career began & ended in almost the same exact period of Shep's tenure at WOR (1955-77). Both men were pioneers in their respective fields. They also shared an interest in different types of vehicles (cars, planes, motorcycles), as well as questionable taste in clothing (some of those sunglasses that Shep wore in the '70s wouldn't have looked out of place on Elvis!). They also shared an interest in Looking for The Truth, although Elvis' search was more spiritual in nature than Shep's. Elvis didn't share Shep's passion for travel and Shep sure as hell wouldn't have come under the thumb of a Colonel Parker. However, I remember hearing Shep say that Elvis came from a true folk music background (Shep considered country music to be the "true" folk music as opposed to the stuff he saw around him in Greenwich Village). Anyway, just some thoughts to share w/my fellow fatheads & soreheads .
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.flicklives.com © 2006-2014 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page